NEWS

Spirits too powerful?

• 96 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <10-18-13/0042:40> »
Is dodging and resisting damage one action or two?  I've always seen them as 2 actions and not the one action of getting shot.  Same for summoning, the actual summoning is one action the drain resist is another action. 

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #31 on: <10-18-13/0118:43> »
Is dodging and resisting damage one action or two?  I've always seen them as 2 actions and not the one action of getting shot.  Same for summoning, the actual summoning is one action the drain resist is another action.

technically, I think it is one action, Meaning the dodge.... the resist damage part is automatic...

thou the argument could be made that it is 2 actions since it is 2 separate dice pools and 2 separate rolls.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #32 on: <10-18-13/0707:40> »
RAI probably is "you can't use an edge point twice on a roll, and you can't use edge twice when splitting either". So no using Edge for extra dice, then to negate a glitch on the roll, no extra dice + reroll, no adding extra dice to each attack when performing multiple. If one argues spellcasting roll and drain roll can only take 1 edge, we get the same for dodging+resisting, screwing up a grenade throw and worse. That opens a shitcan of players looking at you and then walking away from the table, when you get them killed with this.

Carz: The problem would be opponents, not PCs, not coming default with SnS. And nobody cares about a Force 7, people care about players oversummoning Force 14 spirits.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

calicojack73

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <10-18-13/0816:14> »
First SR5 game I'm GMing...player summons a force 9 (using edge) with no drain (edge again)...damn well wish I'd made the spirit roll edge to resist the summoning, talk about plot derailment  :P

Yep... Something similar happened to me.  Player summoned a Force 6 spirit and used it's Concealment power to totally nerf their first combat encounter.  Basically free invisibility for the group that required 6 hits on a Perception check of the guards to see them.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #34 on: <10-18-13/0831:14> »
Concealment reduces the Perception dice, it doesn't increase the threshold. And they'd still have to sneak to not get spotted, if there's a straight line of sight and they're not hidden no dice.

calicojack73

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <10-18-13/0843:50> »
Concealment reduces the Perception dice, it doesn't increase the threshold. And they'd still have to sneak to not get spotted, if there's a straight line of sight and they're not hidden no dice.

The guards had 5 Perception dice so the Concealment reduced that by 6.  So basically if the group even attempted to hide then the Concealment would automatically cause the guards to ignore them?  I'd probably still have them roll to see if they glitch or critical glitch.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #36 on: <10-18-13/0907:38> »
I'd let them roll, yes, since a glitch or critical glitch could cause trouble. Also, if the guards are paying attention they got a +3.

Slippery_Chicken

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <10-18-13/0940:48> »
Binding force 7's is a bit trickier, and much more dangerous, I'll give you that, but I never go with less than a force 5 even for a casual summon. I'm playing a competent summoner with 13 dice to summon (Skill+Mag+power foci) but there are builds with better die pools than that out there. I guess I'm just wondering why people seem to freak out at any 'over-summoned' spirits.

Do PCs not pack APDS and tazers (or SnS) at those tables?

Hm... I never noticed that Hardened Armor was modified by AP. Good catch, that balances them considerably.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #38 on: <10-18-13/0944:41> »
Immunity is a bit more loose in its description, but if you treat it like an incomplete recap of Hardened Armor, then Immunity faces AP modification and loss of auto-hits as well. Which I find more than fair, by the way.

So for non-lethal, always take SnS even if it does less damage than gel rounds. It gives a penalty and can hurt drones and Spirits better.

Slippery_Chicken

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <10-18-13/1637:06> »
So for non-lethal, always take SnS even if it does less damage than gel rounds. It gives a penalty and can hurt drones and Spirits better.

I figured the appeal of gel rounds lies in cost and availability -it's easier and cheaper to get your hands on gel rounds than SnS.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #40 on: <10-18-13/1653:44> »
The secondary effect of electricity isn't as bad as it was in 4A, but imposing a -1 to most tests for a combat turn per attack, as well as doing an immediate -5 to initiative (which can carry over to the next combat turn!) is seriously nasty. You concentrate fire on someone, and even if they don't take much damage from each attack, they can be zapped into not being able to do anything while you just keep hitting them.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <10-18-13/1656:12> »
The secondary effect of electricity isn't as bad as it was in 4A, but imposing a -1 to most tests for a combat turn per attack, as well as doing an immediate -5 to initiative (which can carry over to the next combat turn!) is seriously nasty. You concentrate fire on someone, and even if they don't take much damage from each attack, they can be zapped into not being able to do anything while you just keep hitting them.

It's not cumulative, multiple attacks just extend the duration. So you aren't gonna drop somebody below -1 by blasting him repeatedly with electricity.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #42 on: <10-18-13/1722:06> »
The -1 to tests is not cumulative, but the -5 to initiative is. And if they're already at 0 initiative, the penalty is applied on the next combat turn. That's every attack. Four people concentrate on one target with SnS and hit, they get a -1 to all tests for 4 rounds, but an instant -20 to initiative. And that's just on a single pass.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #43 on: <10-18-13/1726:54> »
Mirikon, might I advise you read the rules again?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <10-18-13/1732:09> »
The -1 to tests is not cumulative, but the -5 to initiative is. And if they're already at 0 initiative, the penalty is applied on the next combat turn. That's every attack. Four people concentrate on one target with SnS and hit, they get a -1 to all tests for 4 rounds, but an instant -20 to initiative. And that's just on a single pass.

Sorry, man, but I just pulled out my new hard copy and looked. Neither is cumulative.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen