NEWS

Activesoft Optimization

• 4 Replies

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« on: <05-05-13/0529:28> »
Activesofts, a subgroup of Skillsofts, is able to use all program options labeled as compatible with Simsense.  How does optimization interact with Activesofts?  Does it mean you can run an activesoft at twice the skillwires rating?
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #1 on: <05-05-13/0627:23> »
Optimization only allows you to run a program at its rating + the response/system rating, if you bought up the optimization rating that high.

So if your program was rating 6, and you ran it on a system of 4 you would be able to run it at 4+4 to a maximum of 6, the program rating. If you tried that on a system of 2, you could only run it up to 4. And then there is a maximum amount of optimized programs you can run. I don't believe optimization extends to Skillsofts, or active softs though. As Activesofts only go up to 4, and skillwires only go up to 5, there wouldn't be much point.

Reading it, Optimization only extends to Autosofts anyway, not Activesofts, I don't see where Activesofts are grouped under simsense though.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #2 on: <05-05-13/0708:22> »
Unwired, p. 115 says Optimization is an option for Common, Hacking, Autosoft, and Simsense. p.117 shows the Simsense specific options, the first specifying skillsofts(activesofts, knowsofts, linguisofts).  I didn't think it'd impact Activesofts, but I wanted to make sure.  There's another option(pluscode) that does what I was looking for.  Like always, I found the answer shortly after posting the question.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-06-13/1045:30> »
The way I read it, the optimization option allows you to run a higher rating program through your commlink, which for all the simsense programs would apply normally. But for Activesofts in particular, the option does not interact with your Skillwires Rating, so the Activesoft would still be limited because of the rating of the Skillwires you have.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-06-13/2208:15> »
The way I read it, the optimization option allows you to run a higher rating program through your commlink, which for all the simsense programs would apply normally. But for Activesofts in particular, the option does not interact with your Skillwires Rating, so the Activesoft would still be limited because of the rating of the Skillwires you have.

This is correct - but that's also why the Pluscode option exist.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites