NEWS

One Shot Halloween Adventure Suggestions

• 8 Replies

Thazar

• Newb
« on: <08-08-12/2333:47> »
Howdy All,

I played a lot of Shadowrun back in the FASA days and have enjoyed the new version of CBT and thought I would give Shadowrun 4th a go.  My players have never played shadowrun before, but they are RPGer's so other then a change in what dice to roll they will be fine. Every year we get together for a one shot on Halloween to take a break from our normal weekly game.  (D20 Modern and Cthulhu are the normal Halloween games and Pathfinder is the standard weekly game.)

So, that disclaimer down. I would like to show them a great time and the fun of the world of Shadowrun.  Any suggestions on a published module for a Halloweenish themed run?  Something with ghouls, graveyards, etc as at least a small part of the module?  If nothing screams Halloween then just a solid suggestion for a module would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Bastwolf

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-09-12/0108:38> »
I highly recommend looking at the Infected Characters in Runner's Companion. They have everything "Halloween" imaginable from ghouls to vampires to Loup-Garou's (French for Werewolf) as well as SURGE characters which are characters who have taken on animalistic qualities (anywhere from cat/dog ears or tail to anthropomorphic animals).

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #2 on: <08-09-12/0915:02> »
I once pitched an idea for the Missions adventure Romero and Juliet, but it went to someone else.

It was about a scientist tinkering with the usual things he shouldnt be; in this case trying to make a breed of augmented zombies. Problem was, he was using "sheidm" energy to do it. So the Sheidm don't exactly like this and the runners ended up in the middle of a zombie vs shiedm rumble in the bowls of a underground research lab on a (semi)remote island in Lake Erie.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #3 on: <08-09-12/0948:38> »
Surprised no one has gone here yet.

Just go with a Seattle gang war one shot. Use the Halloweeners gang going on a rampage on Halloween night.
     Let them either roll right into the runners on going mission and totally screw it up (by taking the target, killing the target or just griefing the runners) or burning so much stuff that Knight errant has to step in and the fallout catches the runners too. Or the 'weeners upset some "threat" as they start burning houses/cars/people (they burn a house/building that is home to a beginning bug hive, or they kill a cadre of squatters and then the burned corpses get possessed by shedim to wreak more havoc, or stumble upon some toxic shaman doing some nastiness on all hallows eve) then the runners get caught up in all of the craziness and it falls to them to clean up the mess.

they  could end up with the gratitude of the community or even favors owed from the 'weeners for saving their bacon, or it could degenerate into a three way with the runners the halloweeners and whatever they stirred up. hell if it's the cops they might even get a KE favor for helping with the moron 'weeners without getting officers fried
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Thazar

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-10-12/1209:47> »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  Some good thoughts there.  I kind of like the idea of a halloweener gang fight that gets mixed up with some ghouls.  Anyone know of published modules or missions that will be a good framework to build these into?  Something with a gang or ghoul pack as a central theme.  I am new to SR4 and fairly busy so I like to start with a baseline that is published and then flesh it out from there.  The mechanics of SR4 are not that different from how I used to play shadowrun, but there is enough difference that I would like to keep it as simple and pre-done as possible on the DM side of things.

Thanks again all!

nightslasthero

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-10-12/1435:49> »
I don't think there are any missions or adventures published for 4th edition that involve ghouls. Part of the issue is that if a team doesn't know they are going against ghouls you end up with a lot of pcs who become ghouls. Not so bad for a one shot where it doesn't matter if the pc turns to a ghoul in five hours or so. But any sane runner wouldn't take a ghoul run except for some serious cash.

I'll try to think of a good published run that involves gangs. Though I'm at work at the moment and can't look at my stuff.
« Last Edit: <08-10-12/1442:25> by nightslasthero »

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #6 on: <08-10-12/1449:17> »
there are a few missions that revolve around gangs. But for the life of me I can't recall names right now. Maybe Bull will know.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Lightning Rod

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-25-12/1447:22> »
Why not run Born to Die for the free advintures on this page. http://pavao.org/shadowrun/adventures/

Thazar

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-25-12/1718:03> »
Thanks!  I grabbed a copy of it and will give it a read over. 

As an aside - I also picked up the Shadowrunners Toolkit box set and I have to say that I like the stuff in there.  Should help with the new players a lot.