NEWS

Hijacking, what and how hard?

• 23 Replies

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #15 on: <08-03-11/1839:02> »
Yes, but stealing Ford AmeriCars doesn't pay as well as Shadowrunning.  :P

You'll be surprised.  Even if you assume the missions 10% resell rate, a mercury comet is 1400Y.  That's only 7 to match a shadowrun of 10000Y.   An empty bulldog van is 3500Y so that's only 3.  Is stealing say 1 van and say 5 comets comparable in toughness to a 10500Y shadowrun?  Maybe (though I doubt it).  If the pay better than 10%, you'll rapidly end up with car stealing being better.  At 30%, that's 4200Y for a comet or 10500Y for a van.

I assume there's enough vans and comets out there that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding them.

Edit- I'm with Umaro.  It's fine if the PCs grab and ditch a vehicle for their run.  There's problems when they want to sell said car afterwards.  Then again, I'm of the opinion Shadowrun works a lot better when the players aren't in it for the money but are instead vigilantes taking meager pay to help regular folks.

Obviously, to each their own...but the A-Team thing is really contrary to the Cyberpunk genre (SR is definitely a mirror shades-wearing member of that genre).

Running is typically done for the money by people desperate enough, craving the rush, lacking in marketable skills outside of mayhem, and/or in need of the cash sooner rather than later.

Altruism, in a Cyberpunk setting, has gone the way of the Dodo...along with innocence and hope.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <08-03-11/1841:23> by JoeNapalm »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <08-03-11/1846:34> »
Hooding is still done, but the appeal for it leaves pretty quickly when the folks you just saved try to shiv you for your boots...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <08-03-11/1929:31> »
The way I always figured it was that the prevalence of RFIDs being built into every conceivable nook and cranny of your average vehicle makes long-term holding of a stolen vehicle unrealistic, and the same applies to selling a boosted car intact. If you want to keep your ill-gotten gains, you have to literally completely disassemble the thing and put it back together, which is quite the time investment.

If you want to sell it, the same applies. Best case scenario, you have to strip it down for parts, disabling every RFID you find in the process, and sell it that way. Profitable, yeah. More profitable than shadowrunning, with less chance of getting shot, in fact. But the labor and time investment involved doesn't make it a popular career choice. You may get a nicer payout owning a chop shop, but being a runner gets you funding faster. In fact, I occasionally offer my players a few runs that are just boosting cars, stealing the vehicles and delivering them to chop shops.

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <08-03-11/2328:37> »
Isn't there a way to get around the RFID bit?

Thought you could burn them all out through a single process?  Crap, it's been too long, and I have no idea where I saw that.
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #19 on: <08-03-11/2338:42> »
Isn't there a way to get around the RFID bit?

Thought you could burn them all out through a single process?  Crap, it's been too long, and I have no idea where I saw that.
Zapper strips baby ;)

Of course, you'll need to replace just about every other electrical component as well... so maybe a little counter-productive :)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Exodus

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <08-04-11/0145:37> »
If you drive your stolen car around with a Jammer in the back seat you'd easily deal with the RFID screamers until you could get it in a garage with a Farady cage to work on it at your leisure.

What's an RFID's maximum signal range? 2-3? 
I prefer to GM for Role Players not Roll Players

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #21 on: <08-04-11/0156:45> »
If you drive your stolen car around with a Jammer in the back seat you'd easily deal with the RFID screamers until you could get it in a garage with a Farady cage to work on it at your leisure.

What's an RFID's maximum signal range? 2-3?
In today's technology, a passive RFID is easily accessible out to 100'.

An Active RFID can easily go to 300' (and depending on the antenna you use, there are informal results claiming 1,000 metres or more).

So in 2070? Hell, you could have a GPS locator smaller than a penny and moulded into the panelwork ;)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #22 on: <08-04-11/1147:05> »
Or a cow.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #23 on: <08-04-11/1730:29> »
coded strips are smaller then pencil lead now. bought a new car about ayear or so ago, and they took a special pen and marked in various areas of the car, so that if it was ever stolen and chopped up, pieces could be traced back ot the original car

Register