NEWS

Hermetic Mage

• 6 Replies

Sly Shadow

• Newb
« on: <04-14-11/1802:53> »
Hey there i never played a mage before and thinking about making one with hermetic tradition...id love to know a few good basic guide lines reguarding stats distribution...skill most useful to buy and at what rank...qualities, gear,spells ect..Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: <04-14-11/1804:56> by Sly Shadow »

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #1 on: <04-14-11/2254:09> »
Quote from: SR4A, p.180
A hermetic magician’s ability to perform magic comes from the
study of a complex set of theories that describe mana, the dimensions
of astral space, and how they interact with the physical world. The
science of thaumaturgy, as this discipline is called, draws those who
rely on logic and reason as their means of evaluating the world.

Given those guidelines, I view the Hermetic Mage as a very scholar-like figure, one who studies and studies and studies so he can know everything Magic-related, and even better-prepared against magical foes. Given that, I'd focus on Mental Attributes, mostly with 4's and 5's (maybe more of the former, so it won't get much expensive). And since a Hermetic Mage resists Drain with Wil + Log, I'd focus my 5's on those.
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-15-11/0149:56> »
.id love to know a few good basic guide lines reguarding stats distribution...skill most useful to buy and at what rank...qualities, gear,spells ect..Thanks for the help.

Basic Guideline is :
 Good Mental attributes ,Good Drain stats.
Everything else depends upon what Kind of Hermetic You want to Play ?("War Mage" with military Background, scholarly elder Mage with a lot of Knowledge Skills, magical P.I. Detective, Ghost Summoner,etc, etc)

with a basic Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Ten-Hex

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-15-11/0920:14> »
Since you have never played a mage before, you may want to focus on either spellcasting or conjuring. The hermetic tradition can make a monster of a combat sorceror, with high willpower and logic, focused concentration quality, and some bioware/genetech to further enhance drain.

This is the basics of my 400bp hermetic blaster:

dwarf mystic adept
-- he's dedicated to blowing things up and doesn't want to make himself an astrally-active target, so I saved 5bp by giving up astral perception/projection.
B-3, A-2, R-3, S-3, C-2, I-4, L-5[8], W-6, E-2, M-5(4), Ess-5.0 -- he's built to sling big spells over and over with minimal drain, even overcasting to force 7-8 with little problem. I'd avoid maxxing an attribute out, the 25bp are not worth it and can be better spent elsewhere
Spellcasting(combat spells) 6(+2), Counterspelling 4, Dodge(ranged combat) 4(+2), Perception 2, Arcana 1, Etiquette 1, Data Search 1 -- you can drop the two specializations for another skill point, a lot of people will recommend you never take specs in character creation because they're cheaper to buy in-game with karma. These two, however, are immediately applicable and very useful.
Mystic Adept, Focused Concentration 2, Restricted Gear (cerebral booster), Aspected Magician (sorceror) and 30 other negative quality points -- more drain soaking, and try to convince your GM to use the expert aspected magician optional rule in Street Magic.
Attention Coprocessor 3, Vision Enhancement Retinal Mod 3, Damage Compensators 1, Enhanced Protein Exchange - Daredrenaline, Cerebral Booster 3 -- all standard grade, total essence cost of 1.0. This gives you +6 dice on visual Perception tests, +4 dice on your drain from the Willpower test boost and Logic augmentation, plus you can default on most logic-linked skills with some margin of success. It's not much of a leap for this character to become the group's armorer or such with minimal karma expenditure (important for a magically-active character, their powers are karma hogs for character improvement).
acid stream, boom (limited), lightning grenade (WAR!), manaball, manabolt, stunball, extended clairvoyance, increase reflexes, phantasm, bullet barrier, ice cloud (WAR!, limited), levitate -- a robust selection of combat spells with carefully selected support spells. The bp put into combat spells alone may seem like overkill, but when your job is fire support you want to make sure you're the best at it. Ice Cloud in particular is a great battlefield control spell, setting up a suppressive fire field with ice secondary effects, ten times better than mundane suppressive fire... nothing like watching people fall down and be unable to get out of the field, or being able to reposition the suppressive fire at whim.
combat spellcasting focus 3, health sustaining focus 3 -- to help you make things die, and to sustain your increased reflexes. Some people like to use force 1 sustaining foci and blow edge to get hits above the spell's force, but we house rule a limit on hits for sustaining foci equal to the force so you need a larger one.
26,500 nuyen for remaining gear-- spend it frugally. You can get more by taking the In Debt negative quality, but many GMs are tough on this negative quality.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-15-11/1249:23> »
Ten-Hex, where's your adept powers? (most gms wont let you play mystic adept without at least 2 of your magic points being "adept")

Ten-Hex

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-15-11/1335:41> »
Ten-Hex, where's your adept powers? (most gms wont let you play mystic adept without at least 2 of your magic points being "adept")

Five points into magic. There is no starting limitation RAW on points you have to put into adept powers. I personally don't think there should be either... the mystic adept quality in SR4 fills the role of most aspected magicians of prior editions (sorceror adept, conjuror adept, elemental adept, shamanic adept, mystic adept) in that it's easy to tack on astral perception for one power point and does not allow astral projection.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-15-11/1500:25> »
Five points into magic. There is no starting limitation RAW on points you have to put into adept powers. I personally don't think there should be either... the mystic adept quality in SR4 fills the role of most aspected magicians of prior editions (sorceror adept, conjuror adept, elemental adept, shamanic adept, mystic adept) in that it's easy to tack on astral perception for one power point and does not allow astral projection.

I guess they thought
Though this quality is inexpensive, gamemasters should be careful
not to allow it to be abused. It should only be taken for characters that
intend to explore their nature as mystic adepts.
Was enough in the description. I see what you mean though

Register