NEWS

[6e] What is an "Action" for use with Edge?

• 11 Replies

j2klbs

• Newb
« on: <02-03-21/1308:42> »
p. 44 of core rules: "Characters can only have one expenditure of Edge per action."

I'm not 100% sure what this means.  Here's some clarifying questions:

1.  Is a damage resistance test an "action" for purposes of using edge?  In other words, if a runner is resisting spell damage or damage from a weapon attack, can they use Edge?

2.  Is casting a spell including damage resistance all one action for purposes of Edge use rules?  In other words, if a spellcaster uses edge to better cast their spell, can they also use edge when resisting the drain, or is this considered all one action?

Thanks!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-03-21/1316:23> »
Option #2.

Most actions only involve one roll to resolve, but certain others have multiple ones.  So if you cast a spell, you do have to decide whether to spend your edge during the opposed test to make it more effective, or to save it for the Drain to endure it better.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-03-21/1323:37> »
Cool!  What about when resisting damage outside your turn.  When a runner gets shot by an assault rifle, they must roll dice to resist damage.  But they are not technically taking an action, they are rolling dice in response to someone else's action.  Is the use of Edge allowed when, for example, rolling Body dice to mitigate damage?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-03-21/1328:18> »
Cool!  What about when resisting damage outside your turn.  When a runner gets shot by an assault rifle, they must roll dice to resist damage.  But they are not technically taking an action, they are rolling dice in response to someone else's action.  Is the use of Edge allowed when, for example, rolling Body dice to mitigate damage?

Yes an action is still taking place.  Each character can potentially spend edge during it- not just the attacker and the person being attacked! (see Give Ally 1 Edge)  but each character can only spend Edge once.

The text you're asking about was errata'd.. before that it said you can only spend Edge once per ROUND.  That was a painful restriction.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-03-21/1331:12> »
Thank you so much for your clarification of RAI.  :)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-03-21/1346:25> »
I think the intention behind the 1 Edge Boost  "Reroll one Dice" is that you typically use it to reroll one of your opponents hits during an opposed skill-related test.

But depending on your reading I guess it could be used to reroll one dice during a Damage Resistance Test instead (...but not sure why you would do that as this is mathematically a weaker option).

Yes an action is still taking place.  Each character can potentially spend edge during it- not just the attacker and the person being attacked!
Wait, are you saying that someone that is not involved in a test at all can still use their Edge to directly influence the outcome of the test (by for example spending 2 Edge to reroll 2 hits for one of the parties)?

Or are you saying that someone that is not involved in a test at all can still indirectly influence the outcome of the test (by for example spending 2 Edge to give 1 point of Edge to someone that is part of the test).
« Last Edit: <02-03-21/1358:25> by Xenon »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-03-21/1633:52> »
I think the intention behind the 1 Edge Boost  "Reroll one Dice" is that you typically use it to reroll one of your opponents hits during an opposed skill-related test.

But depending on your reading I guess it could be used to reroll one dice during a Damage Resistance Test instead (...but not sure why you would do that as this is mathematically a weaker option).

Rerolling opponents' dice is explicitly valid.  So if you didn't spend any Edge on your attack roll, or on your drain (if relevant), then you can (IMO) force your target to reroll hits on the damage soak.  Since the soak isn't opposed per se, maybe your GM wouldn't see it that way.  YMMV.

Yes an action is still taking place.  Each character can potentially spend edge during it- not just the attacker and the person being attacked!
Wait, are you saying that someone that is not involved in a test at all can still use their Edge to directly influence the outcome of the test (by for example spending 2 Edge to reroll 2 hits for one of the parties)?

Or are you saying that someone that is not involved in a test at all can still indirectly influence the outcome of the test (by for example spending 2 Edge to give 1 point of Edge to someone that is part of the test).

I'd agree it's pushing things for C to spend edge to hinder A when A is shooting at B.  However, it's ultimately GM discretion*.  And so long as C and B are truly teammates, I'd have a hard time seeing why C can't spend 2 karma during A's attack to help out B by giving them an Edge.

*Edit: Here's a for example where I might allow a character to spend edge affecting an action they aren't even involved in:  Your teammate is trying to pick a lock while hostiles are taking pot shots at them.  You're a sniper on overwatch doing your best you can to cover your teammate.  Suppressive fire isn't really a thing, mechanically, in this edition, so maybe I'd allow you to spend edge in certain ways to affect the hostiles' attacks on your teammate... on the basis that you're sufficiently "involved" in the action because the hostiles have to keep their heads down due to the overwatch fire (which you made during your last turn).
« Last Edit: <02-03-21/1736:02> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-03-21/1859:18> »
That reading kinda limits the usage of the "Give Ally 1 Edge"-Boost I guess....

But I understand the point you are trying to make.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-03-21/1911:13> »
That reading kinda limits the usage of the "Give Ally 1 Edge"-Boost I guess....

But I understand the point you are trying to make.

Um. I'd allow any player to cash in 2 edge to hand another player 1 edge during any action. Anyone's action.  Who's action literally doesn't matter. Only restriction is whether they already spent edge elsewhere during this action. (ok, and of course the edge gain limitation would be in play as well, obviously.)

The sniper situation I was talking about was, put another way:

If the NPCs are attacking your teammate, you can spend edge to frag with the NPCs dice if something you're doing reasonably could be affecting them.  Got them in a grapple? Been popping rounds or spells at them? etc.  You're potentially eligible to reroll NPC attack dice.  or make their 2s count for glitches.  All of this even when they're not attacking you.  But the catch is, the context has to make sense that whatever you "did" is still going on in a narrative sense.  When you shoot at someone, you don't just stand still not shooting for a few seconds until it's your turn again, right?
« Last Edit: <02-03-21/1912:51> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-03-21/2257:17> »
The use 2 to give 1 comes up more times then I would have originally thought in my games.  Just as SSDR stated, who's action is taking place isn't important. 

Regards,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-04-21/0156:31> »
I fully agree (with both of you) that you can trade 2 Edge in order to give 1 Edge to someone else at any time. This seem to be what the "Give ally 1 Edge" is designed for. This seem to be intended.

I am not fully convinced that you can, instead of trading 2 Edge for 1 Edge, spend your Edge directly on "Reroll one dice", "Add 1 to a single die roll", "Reroll all failed dice", "2s count for glitches for target", "Create special effect" etc in a test where you are not the actor nor the opposer. To me this seem to be twice as effective as spending Edge to Give Edge to your ally that is an actual actor or an actual opposer in the test. If you are allowed to directly spend your Edge on tests you are not involved in then you kinda undermine many of the use cases where trading 2 Edge in order to give 1 Edge away to your ally.

Having said that I can also fully understand the point that you are making SSDR (and with a strict reading of RAW I can see support for this as well as, unlike many other Boosts, the Boosts I listed doesn't explicitly mention 'your' test or a test that 'you' are involved in).

I am just not fully sure I agree to this. If you wish to use your superior tactical advantage to help out your ally in a test you yourself are not involved in there is already an existing mechanic in place ("Give ally 1 Edge").

(but I am also not fully sure I disagree)

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-04-21/0200:22> »
I get what you're saying. I agree that there's a bar that has to be cleared in order to get to do edge shenanigans when you're not the target.   But, I like that bar being somewhat low I guess :)

Register