NEWS

Scandinavia

• 5 Replies

Xirany

• Newb
« on: <11-09-16/1719:01> »
Digging in to the history of Europe in Shadowrun, I´m wondering: Are there any sourcebooks for Europe and/or Scandinavia for the newer editions?
It´s sort of funny to read what people imagine happens to your homecountry in future dystopia. Plus, It could be fun to actually run a game set in the hometown of my group sometime.

I found Shadows of Europe, but it´s from third edition. (I discovered, though, that Denmark is pretty much controlled by Mærsk which was, well, I guess.... expected. xD)

If there aren´t any books for the later editions, should we just assume that status in Northern Europe is pretty much unchanged since ´63?
- "I hate that he is dead, for one particular reason!"
- "You wanted to kill him?"
- "Oh, well, for two particular reasons then."

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #1 on: <11-10-16/0331:40> »
  I would be inclined to say they are on a slow road to recovery from the black tide.  The population might pick back up a little and you could probably expect a thriving shadow community there as if memory serves most of northern Europe was in the process of being cannibalised by rival corps for gas, oil etc (I'm basing this on norway as it was probably in a similar state to it).

If it's still dominated by one megacorp it seems reasonable to expect a degree of civil unrest and attempts from said corp to consolidate their power base, this could mean some corp on corp action or corp/government tensions.

I'm not aware of any 5e lore pertaining to it but I'm more of a 3e guy so it's still worth looking.

Bottom line: Probably still gritty cyberpunk with conflict between corps over resources, power struggles etc.  If you cant find any lore about specific events, make some fluff up.  Be it a trade war between the dorminant corp protecting it's market and a different one trying to break in on the gig.  Or civil strife as the main corp consolidates power and  lays down more and more drakonian laws and legislature on the average wage slave.

Take what you can from known lore and extrapolate likely outcomes and consequences.
Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

DeathofVirtue

• Chummer
  • Astral Ghost
« Reply #2 on: <11-10-16/0343:39> »
Thinking about it this might get better responses in secret history.  Lore is much more commonly discussed there I suspect.  Ultimatley it's up to the very nice (Please no Thor Shots!) Mods to relocate if they think it's better there.
Because if I pass you I wont even leave a breeze.
If you search for me you won't find a trace.
What then do those seeking me say they found?
Nothing.
Zero is nothing.
I am Zero.
What better name for myself?
 -Zero on being asked where he got his name...

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-10-16/0352:38> »
Digging in to the history of Europe in Shadowrun, I´m wondering: Are there any sourcebooks for Europe and/or Scandinavia for the newer editions?
It´s sort of funny to read what people imagine happens to your homecountry in future dystopia. Plus, It could be fun to actually run a game set in the hometown of my group sometime.

I found Shadows of Europe, but it´s from third edition. (I discovered, though, that Denmark is pretty much controlled by Mærsk which was, well, I guess.... expected. xD)

If there aren´t any books for the later editions, should we just assume that status in Northern Europe is pretty much unchanged since ´63?

Don't forget Tyr Security and that Ares' European headquarters are located in Copenhagen, So Mærsk might be amongst the top dogs for sure, but they are not the only ones. Also presumably Neonet ( Due to Erikas former holdings ) and Saeder Krupp would have a large presence in the Scandinavian Union as well.

I agree that the reclamation of Jutland will have moved forward due to the governments granting of land to those WHO would clean it up. But otherwise Viking gangs, the Vory, ship city and all the other Things mentioned in Shadows of Europe are likely still there.

As for newer sources for Europe, then several European countries are updated in the 6th World Almanac, not all of them, but some.
« Last Edit: <11-10-16/0354:36> by Rosa »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #4 on: <11-10-16/0433:53> »
Generally unchanged, though you can go hunting the German sourcebooks and see if you can't find something new in them.  (If you can get them translated.)  Also, you might take a look at the Sixth World Primer as well as the Proteus 'Shockwave' adventure thingamabob floating around somewhere.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Xirany

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-10-16/0612:31> »
Thinking about it this might get better responses in secret history.  Lore is much more commonly discussed there I suspect.  Ultimatley it's up to the very nice (Please no Thor Shots!) Mods to relocate if they think it's better there.

Well, my original question was on "where to look", which is why I put it in here, but people are also more than welcome to discuss everything they know on the topic. If it means, that it ends up in Secret History, fine by me. :)

Generally unchanged, though you can go hunting the German sourcebooks and see if you can't find something new in them.  (If you can get them translated.)  Also, you might take a look at the Sixth World Primer as well as the Proteus 'Shockwave' adventure thingamabob floating around somewhere.

German books you say? Well, I guess it´s time to refresh my german skills then. 
- "I hate that he is dead, for one particular reason!"
- "You wanted to kill him?"
- "Oh, well, for two particular reasons then."