NEWS

Realistic, Multi-sense Illusion spells

• 2 Replies

Quatar

• Omae
« on: <05-16-16/1629:31> »
So, realistic illusions "seem completely real" and multi-sense ones "affect all senses".

So they affect touch as well, it's after all a sense we have.

But now the real question: Do they actually prevent someone from walking through them. I mean not because they don't want to, but because they really, physically can't? Or is it just their brain telling them, and they'll stop, thinking they just ran against a wall?

Ok, example. Someone hides the door to a room behind a Trid Phantasm, make it look like just another part of the wall. When I run my hand over it, it feels absolutely real and I won't notice that there actually is a door here.

Now what happens if (assuming I failed my resistance test against the Illusion and fully believe it):
a) I run full speed against the wall, Harry Potter style. Will the momentum carry me through? Won't my brain/the magic not allow me to do that, and I'll stop myself before I hit the wall?
b) Someone else picks me up and tosses me through the door?
c) I see someone else (who resisted the illusion) walk through the door? Will I automatically disbelieve the illusion? Will I refuse to believe someone just walked through the wall (and maybe consider that person to be an illusion)?
d)  somebody casts a Trid Phantasm of my hands being cuffed together behind my back (and I failed the resist test)? It would feel absolutely real, so I couldn't move my hands?
« Last Edit: <05-16-16/2227:04> by Quatar »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-16-16/1704:32> »
It's rather simple: That is what your Wil+Int or resp. Wil+Log resistance test is for:
If you get more hits than the illusion you notice the inconsistency, if not you/your brain stops yourself from registering them.

So for your castes that means:
a) If you make your test you won't stop yourself in time
b) You won't be stopped, but it might hurt as if you'd just been thrown through a closed door
c) The GM might grant you bonus dice to your resistance check, but it's just as possible that your brain rationalizes this experience away.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-16-16/2226:08> »
a) Well yes, if I make the test it's easy, then I can just ignore the whole illusion. But I was wondering what happens if I don't resist the Illusion, and believe this is a solid piece of Wall, and I still run against it. (I edited my first post to make that clearer)

also I saw this in another thread:

d) What happens if somebody casts a Trid Phantasm of my hands being cuffed together behind my back (and I failed the resist test)? It would feel absolutely real, so I couldn't move my hands?