NEWS

High edge human mage.

• 18 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #15 on: <10-31-14/1646:15> »
Why not go Resourses D/Skills E? 44k is plain better than 4 skill points. Drop banishing and you're set.
I'd partly agree.
44K makes starting out at Chargen easier for sure.
But those 4 Skill Points, could equal 28 Karma or $56K Cash at the 1/2000 exchange, so depending on what you want to start out with gear wise, I could see going either way.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #16 on: <10-31-14/1652:31> »
As several suggested, re-arrange the skills.

32 SP:

Assensing-6
Counterspelling-6
Perception-6  (Visual+2)
Spellcasting-6  (Combat+2)
Summoning-6

Then buy L1 Arcana & Etiquette w/ Karma

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #17 on: <11-01-14/2114:23> »
I don't know, but the background looks pretty unlucky for a kid with Edge 7.  I'd say the background merits at least the Bad Luck quality.
Edge is a gameplay stat; I'm pretty sure you can't, in-character, measure someone's luck through life and assign him an Edge stat. Bad Luck would be justified, sure, but one could just as easily say that, after a life of bad luck, some kind of karmic shift happened and now he's on a hot streak.

Huh?  That's a little like dismissing the other stats as "gameplay stats" and saying that you can't measure your character's other abilities and assign him stats.

I'll grant that Edge is more than just luck ("the ultimate intangible," p. 52, SR5), but there's certainly a significant portion of luck lumped into the stat, given how Bad Luck works.  A lot can be explained by a "karmic shift," and "lucky" doesn't necessarily mean "always lucky."  Not a big deal, the background just struck me as odd for the character supposedly being so lucky.  It could just as easily have been the occasional poor choice (Logic 2) that he was lucky enough to survive.
« Last Edit: <11-01-14/2118:46> by Dr. Meatgrinder »
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-02-14/0027:45> »
I don't know, but the background looks pretty unlucky for a kid with Edge 7.  I'd say the background merits at least the Bad Luck quality.
Edge is a gameplay stat; I'm pretty sure you can't, in-character, measure someone's luck through life and assign him an Edge stat. Bad Luck would be justified, sure, but one could just as easily say that, after a life of bad luck, some kind of karmic shift happened and now he's on a hot streak.

Huh?  That's a little like dismissing the other stats as "gameplay stats" and saying that you can't measure your character's other abilities and assign him stats.

I'll grant that Edge is more than just luck ("the ultimate intangible," p. 52, SR5), but there's certainly a significant portion of luck lumped into the stat, given how Bad Luck works.  A lot can be explained by a "karmic shift," and "lucky" doesn't necessarily mean "always lucky."  Not a big deal, the background just struck me as odd for the character supposedly being so lucky.  It could just as easily have been the occasional poor choice (Logic 2) that he was lucky enough to survive.
I'm saying Edge isn't like the other stats. The others say something tangible about your character - if you have a Logic of 1, you can't then say in your background how you're this brilliant rocket scientist (unless you have a very good reason for losing it). While they're somewhat abstracted, you can more or less directly couple them to actual in-character concepts - strength determines how much you can lift, reaction time can be measured and such.

Edge is different. Edge exists purely in the metagame, Luck can't really be measured to start with, but even if you could, there's no reason (besides the metagame) why it can't suddenly shift. If you want a character who's luck has been terrible throughout his life, but found himself lucky in his life as a runner, there's absolutely nothing stopping you.

Register