NEWS

Shadowrun Online - Your constructive feedback

• 12 Replies

Tubbster

• Newb
« on: <07-11-14/0752:52> »
Hi guys,

for those who are interested in the future of the MMO Game Shadowrun Online, I want to say, that the guys from Cliffhanger Productions are seeking exclusive feedback from the PnP community.

The Shadowrun Universe Forum community is one of the most active ones, concerning Shadowrun Online Feedback. From this community, two people, my humble self and some other person will have a meet up with them, where we can express our personal but also public thoughts on the future development in regard of PnP aspects. They gave us this chance, because we had expressed our concerns (also concerns from other PnP Players), that the original PnP ruleset will not gain enough attention... To speak with the voice of the community, I want to collect as many opinions as possible, so please give me some feedback of your personal thoughts on the current sate of Shadowrun Online.

So, what's good, what's bad in terms of PnP conversion? What is totally lacking in your opinion? Is SR:O interesting for you, or why you stand off from the game, at the moment? Have you maybe completely missed, that there is Shadowrun Online?

Pls, remember that it's not a discussion about the MMO philosophy as such and also have in mind, that the Budget of SR:O is very limited and less than the one from SR: Returns for example . If you would like to play Shadowrun Online, but you think, there are some PnP aspects that are missing, or if you say the look and feel isn't right, or if you say all is fine as it is now, then give me some CONSTRUCTIVE Feedback, which I will display to the Devs from Cliffhanger Productions. 

Thanks!

Some info on me: I'm a 39 old Shadowrun Gamer from Germany, playing Shadowrun since the 1st. Ed from '89, digging into as much SR as my real life is allowing it. Therefore, my heart is strongly related to the SR universe and therefore would like to see SR PnP as well adapted to SR:O as possible.

Best regards

T.

martinchaen

« Reply #1 on: <07-11-14/0854:02> »
My biggest gripe with SR:O currently is the extremely limited gameplay aspects I've seen; the whole "YOU WIN!" screen bugs me to no end as Shadowrun, to me at least, isn't as much about "winning" as it is about "surviving". Couple that with linear "do X, Y, and Z" and "you win" gameplay, and I'm not feeling the Shadowrun spirit. I'm hoping this will change by release, and I know it's still early, but none the less, this is by far what I'm missing from the game right now.

Cynewulf

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-11-14/0902:37> »
I've not played yet, so disclaimer.
I would like to play SR:O but if I do it will be to scratch my Shadowrun itch. There are plenty of other games with bigger budgets that I can play if I want online, tactical, and teamwork gaming (and lots of those are even free). Therefore it needs to not only fulfill my need for an immersive setting but also replicate those parts of the PnP rules which make it fun. Otherwise there is no point, I can stick with Jagged Aliance.

The biggest thing is stuff to do *outside* of missions, like legwork, lifestyles, and a Shadowrun community. Augmentations and qualities that have non-combat effects. Also the feeling that you are scraping by under the rader. Corps you anger mihgt try and ambush you in the street, you need to lay low and have safehouses, etc. But I suppose that's mostly a non-starter.

I guess it would still be fun if Stealth, infiltration, and charisma were viable routes to win missions. Payday 2 can be pretty fun if you win a match without firing a single shot. Also, Background counts that screw over Awakened and cause you to rely on other methods.

In short, I'm probably not the target audience. I want more from a Shadowrun game than just an online combat simulator, I want online immersion. However Dragonfall was moving in the right direction, if they copied enough I could be entertained.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #3 on: <07-11-14/0903:16> »
Hoi!

My single most profound complaint is that the game currently misses stealth elements whatsoever. Blowing up cameras is not stealth =P As all missions boil down to shooting everything that moves in the face, the game doesn't even come close to Shadowrun (as in Shadowrun).

Although as a turn-based tactical game it's quite OK and I enjoy playing it.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-11-14/1049:46> »
I knew about the game, but could not decide on if it was my cup of tea.  I am a huge fan of Shadowrun, but not so much MMOs, so I did not want to drop $30-$50 on the chance that Shadowrun > MMO. 

On the other hand, if they made a free "trial" weekend where we could try it out for a couple of days, they might get those of us who are on the fence (like me) to give it a try.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-11-14/1926:35> »
there are plenty of "lets play" videos on youtube.
just sayin....

having said that, the videos i've seen was only with pre-generated characters.
...will be more interesting once you can create and advance your own character.

would be good if there are situations where having a more easy to conceal weapon is preferable.
where stealth and recon is an option or at least give you some sort of advantage if you play it out right (maybe you can avoid some patrols or at least get the drop on them). Always allowed to make runs with assault rifles in gyro mounts is a bit too pink for me...

i hope in-game characters doesn't get insane strong just because you play more missions per day (like in most "in-game character progression"-games such as world of warcraft etc where a fresh out of chargen character have no chance to even hurt an "end game" character). a fresh out of chargen pnp shadowrun character is often a lot more specialized compared to a 300 karma character, but isn't really that much "weaker" (you still have the same spells and weapons, just less of them - and not as accurate with them). And that progression is more focused on a player skill level (making correct decisions) rather than purley on an in-game character skill level.

Winters_night

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-11-14/2205:21> »
drives me nuts that you can't shoot than move, it's only move shoot.

Also you can't skip a character or parts of a characters turn. Say I move Payday up and it only takes 1 action to get where I want to go, there's no option to skip the rest of his turn if say there's no target in range or line of sight.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #7 on: <07-11-14/2356:13> »
This game is still more or less pre-alpha. I feel like criticism at this point would be premature.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tubbster

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-12-14/1208:20> »
Thanks so far,

yep, it's very Alpha yet, so they are still open for suggestions. The next bigger patch will be uploaded in August with a first character generator and a basic co-op mode.

adzling

« Reply #9 on: <07-12-14/1258:29> »
#1 thing is stick to 5e rules.
Everything else doesn't matter without that.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #10 on: <07-12-14/1711:58> »
I would have to agree. If I want to play shadowrun i want to play shadowrun.
If the game doesn't "map" onto actual shadowrun extremely well, then there are many other games I'd rather play, including the table top version.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #11 on: <07-13-14/0124:02> »
If the game doesn't "map" onto actual shadowrun extremely well, then there are many other games I'd rather play, including the table top version.
agreed. Obviously, some things will be harder to implement than others, but i think they can stick to most of it.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-27-14/1243:56> »

This. It's too much like SR:Returns; and while I enjoyed that game, it wasn't really Shadowrun.

SR is about options. It isn't Pathfinder or DnD where your character is stuck on the rails of his or her class path. SR is richly detailed and very customizable, which is why I love it; and that's why I look forward to playing PnP SR rather than the latest online MMO (I lasted 20 minutes in WoW before the boredom of the themepark got to me).

Instead of skinning a game in SR setting and look, make the game a graphical interface of the SR PnP game. Same stats, same rules, same gear, etc. Worry foremost about the mechanics and the interface (and a healthy character creation engine), Make the world persistent and open. Have a map of Seattle (to start) and let players team up and do runs that they and other players have built in a foundry. Make it SR:PnP that can be played anytime, online, without having to hunt for a GM.
« Last Edit: <07-27-14/1249:42> by Lusis »
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting