NEWS

SR4A: Encephalon, EPE: PuSHeD, and Hacking/Cracking dice pools.

• 3 Replies

Vaneheart

• Newb
« on: <08-22-14/1221:20> »
Do the bonus dice to Logic-linked tests gained from the augmentations Encephalon (assuming level 2) and EPE: PuSHeD add to your Hacking/Cracking Group dice pools while using programs?  While this seems like it is meant to (especially when reading the description of Encephalon in Augmentation), I recently encountered some arguments against it, while trying to submit a bug report for some popular Shadowrun character creation software (not Chummer or CharGen).

From what the counter arguments entailed, since the skill rolls and dice pools for Hacking/Cracking Group don't actually use the logic attribute while using Matrix programs in AR/VR (just skill, plus program rating as appropriate, Like "Hacking: 6 + Exploit: 6 = 12 dice", don't add the Logic attribute like a normal skill), the bonus dice don't apply, even though the root skills are "linked" to the Logic attribute, in most cases.

Am I way off base here on how this should work?  If I'm not, is there a better way to frame my argument?  I appreciate any assistance in this matter.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper

Isane

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-22-14/1741:29> »
Tell them to look at the Skills and Linked Attributes table on page 120 of the 20A rulebook.  Hacking/Cracking and all that are logic-linked skills.  Encephalon and PuSHeD do apply to them, since they add to logic-linked skills.  You're getting bonus dice to your skill, not your logic.
"Speech"  'Thought'   <Matrix>

Vaneheart

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-14/1814:30> »
Apparently my arguments, as well as that response, weren't convincing enough.  Here is the response I was given today:

"I disagree with this interpretation.  SR4A pgs. 228-232 categorizes the use of the programs as "Matrix Actions", not "Skill Tests", and the Encephalon's wording says "...Active Skill Tests using...".  The way I read this, even though the skill's rating is incorporated, it is not a "skill test" - a skill test would be when the skill's rating + linked attribute was rolled."

Which makes me wonder what these augmentations are intended to be used for then.

If anyone can clarify this further, it would be much appreciated.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper

Vaneheart

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-22-14/1948:39> »
The character creation software in question is the Shadowrun Fourth Edition data file for Lone Wolf Developments' Hero Lab software.

Here is what one of my friends has said on the matter:

"Encephalon should certainly be included, no matter what interpretation you use of Matrix vs. normal attributes and how modifiers for them carry over. It specifically uses the term "Matrix Tests", directly contradicting whoever it was you were emailng. There is a case to be made that Rating 1 should be included and Rating 2 shouldn't, because the rating 2 bonus is conditional on being in AR or VR and Herolab doesn't generally include conditional bonuses."

"EPE: Pushed would be included depending on your interpretation of the attributes issue. I'm going to include it in my game with the optional rules on pg. 226 SR4A for capping hits with Logic. Normally, Logic has no bearing on Matrix Tests whatsoever, so why would hacking receive benefits from a Logic boosting augment?"

"Neo-corticals: Again, this is situational, i.e. you can't be under stress. Which is basically all in-session hacking after the legwork is over. It would also be caught up in the interpretation of attributes argument, so in Herolab's interpretation probably wouldn't apply."

"If that is how they are interpreting Logic via Matrix Tests, I don't really see an argument you could use to change their mind. SR4A specifically says that Matrix Tests are divorced from the normal attribute+skill link and gives optional rules on how to play it otherwise. Still, Herolab should be including Encephalon certainly, but not the others RAW."

I could still use some clarification and assistance with this issue.

-Jeff Cooper