NEWS

Mini Speakers and Distractions

• 2 Replies

Jordan

• Newb
« on: <01-25-14/1334:02> »
Hello hello all,

So here's the idea - B&E expert breaks in and heads toward objective, but along the way she plants mini-speakers - down hallways she isn't actually going to follow, in vents or closets/rooms/bathrooms/etc.

When things inevitably go wrong and security comes rushing in, she activates the speakers to throw the security guys off balance. Is she down this hallway or that one? Was that the sound of gun being cocked in that room? Distractions ago, she sneaks out to her best ability.

Now, what gear would be the equivalent of a mini-speaker? I was thinking a Sensor Tag would be the closest to a mini-speaker, and then standard sensor costs. That would make a basic speaker cost 140, a better sounding/louder one 240, and one equipped with a basic speaker and a motion sensor 240.

Thoughts? Too expensive - too cheap?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-25-14/2109:08> »
I would say they would be even cheaper than that personally.  A speaker is a lot less complex than a sensor.

But I might suggest a 1-6 rating with a roll of rating*2 to determine the minimum hits to detect that the audio is coming from a speaker.  So you have guard who has 6 dice on his hearing rolls, a cheap rating 1 speaker isn't likely to fool him in believing it is real (but it could serve as distraction or confusion to still escaping or not hearing you due to noise be serving as a penalty)  but a rating 6 speaker will be really good and the guard would rarely ever be able to tell the difference.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <01-26-14/0139:01> »
I have to agree with Insaniac - speakers are cheap.  If you had the ability to pre-program them with a sound and then remotely activate them...  ideally with a small charge inside to destroy the speaker after a few seconds...  that would be pretty sweet.  How's something like this?

Speaker System
Cost: 50¥ * rating (up to 6)
Availability: 4
Description: The speaker is a single device that can broadcast sound.  These can be used in tandem with existing systems via wireless signal to broadcast sound continuously.  The quality of the sound is based on the device used to replicate the sound.  The speaker's rating acts as a limit to any tests involved in replicating the sound.  An alternative variant (+100¥ and F restriction) will implant a small explosive charge to destroy the speaker at a predesignated time.  This modification allows the speaker to play a pre-programmed sound effect for up to 20 seconds.  At the end of the sound effect's duration, the speaker will self-destruct.  The destruction is not sufficient to cause any collateral damage.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.