NEWS

Newbie kind of question

• 6 Replies

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« on: <12-22-13/1606:47> »
Does a commlink always require software, or only if running programs purchased in game?
Never ask a woman how old she is...she might tell you and then what would you do.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <12-22-13/1609:00> »
A commlink doesn't require software to run and can be used for Matrix searches. It can only run datasofts, mapsofts, shopsofts and tutorsofts. A cyberdeck can run datasofts, mapsofts, shopsofts, tutorsofts, agents, common cyberprograms and hacking cyberprograms. An RCC and Drones (also vehicles) can run common cyberprograms, hacking cyberprograms and autosofts.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-22-13/1625:25> »
So a data search can or cannot be done on a commlink as long as it is not requiring a program [SR5].

In [SR4] there are no decks that I can tell, so to do that same basic data search is something more required?
Never ask a woman how old she is...she might tell you and then what would you do.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-22-13/1839:47> »
this is for SR5:

you can use a commlink to do all matrix actions that have a data processing or firewall limit.
No extra software required.

you can not use a commlink to do any matrix actions that have attack or sleaze as limit.
(except maybe by pushing the limit with edge - depending on how you read the rules)

yes, you can search the matrix for information with a commlink.
there is even a red box for matrix actions that are useful for non hackers on p. 222

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-23-13/0142:34> »

In [SR4] there are no decks that I can tell, so to do that same basic data search is something more required?
In SR4, you need programs to do pretty much anything besides the basic functions of the commlink (calling and playing music and such). Browse would be needed for Data Searches, for example.

In SR5, no extra software is needed, as Xenon's post explained. Programs in SR5 instead give bonuses to cyberdecks (or RCC's).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <12-23-13/0535:38> »
I need to make 1 correction to my earlier statement: RCCs are stated to have the same options as commlinks. So they too can run all those softs.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-25-13/1324:25> »
 RCC is a commlink with extra rules and capabilites.

Everything you can do on a commlink you can do on RCC.
A RCC have all the options that a commlink have.

You cannot do everything on a commlink you can do on RCC.
A commlink have some but does not have all the options that a RCC have.

Book is clear that you can run cyberprograms on cyberdecks and RCCs. This alone does not mean that you automatically can run them on commlinks as well.

Register