NEWS

[SR5] Quick question about sr5 skills

• 12 Replies

Rebeldawg

• Newb
« on: <08-15-13/1211:15> »
I haven't played shadowrun since the first edition so out of touch with how much has changed but I was wondering if it was possible to have build/repair skills in let's say computers, or bikes, ect?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-15-13/1225:35> »
They do: Build/Repair skills exist for air-based vehicles (Aeronautics Mechanic), weapons and armor (Armorer), ground-based vehicles (Automotive Mechanic), cybernetics (Cybertechnology), electronic devices (Hardware), large-scale machines (Industrial Mechanic), and water-based vehicles (Nautical Mechanic).

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #2 on: <08-15-13/1230:47> »
These are accounted for in some of the skills. Hardware from the Electronics skill covers all sorts of electronic hardware repair and construction.

The Engineering skill group covers four sorts of mechanical skills: [/i]Automotive, Aeronautics, Industrial[/i] and Nautical. Industrial covers things like heavy fabrication, HVAC and the like, while the others are pretty self-explanatory.

There are specializations for each of these (too many to list here). Bikes aren't a specialization of Automotive Mechanics, but Wheeled is, so you could give a character Automotive Mechanics 4 (Wheeled 2).
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-15-13/1233:29> »
B/R skills as such (the shadow skill from the earlier editions that corresponded to active skills) no longer exist as such. Instead, there are specific active skills, like the mechanical skills and hardware, that serve the same purpose.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-17-13/1440:33> »
Also currently there is not much in the way of rules behind the skills.   Yeah they exist and a basic framework is up, but not much past that for most things.  The rigger, decker and gear books will probably flesh them out. 

sylanna

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-18-13/0943:04> »
I don't know if I missed some big chapter in the book, but I didn't read anything about being able to build vehicles etc.. You aren't even allowed to modify your bike with automotive mechanic.

You are allowed to build a lot of stuff, but drones, cars, aircraft etc. don't seem to be part of it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <08-18-13/1517:58> »
Vehicle and gun building was never possible. Vehicle and gun modification rules will, like in SR4, come out in additional sourcebooks rather than be in Core. Run&Gun will have more guns, gun modifications and some other stuff, whereas likely it will be Rigger 5 (or whatever its name will be) that has more drones and vehicle modifications.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-18-13/1706:07> »
Vehicle and gun building was never possible. Vehicle and gun modification rules will, like in SR4, come out in additional sourcebooks rather than be in Core. Run&Gun will have more guns, gun modifications and some other stuff, whereas likely it will be Rigger 5 (or whatever its name will be) that has more drones and vehicle modifications.

Rigger 5 also comes with a preview chapter of Shadowrun 6th ed OW OW WITH THE BEATING AND THE HURTING WHY

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <08-18-13/1710:40> »
Actually Hardy said they aim for it to come sooner in the development cycle. :P He lies of course.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-19-13/1532:38> »
Vehicle and gun building was never possible.

This is incorrect. In SR3 there were comprehensive rules for building custom firearms and vehicles. They only really would cause any issue if the GM wasn't doing his job and properly policing things (just like any other ruleset).
« Last Edit: <08-19-13/1536:33> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-19-13/1640:58> »

This is incorrect. In SR3 there were comprehensive rules for building custom firearms and vehicles. They only really would cause any issue if the GM wasn't doing his job and properly policing things (just like any other ruleset).

I think 4 was the first edition that DIDN'T allow some sort of build your own vehicle rules. I always blamed it on the Rigger Neutering decision to forgoe a Rigger Black Book and shove the advanced vee rules into a single chapter in Arsenal.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-19-13/2017:48> »

I think 4 was the first edition that DIDN'T allow some sort of build your own vehicle rules. I always blamed it on the Rigger Neutering decision to forgoe a Rigger Black Book and shove the advanced vee rules into a single chapter in Arsenal.

Probably. The first group I played SR with started with 2nd and I believe they said those rules were there too. I'm just not sure if 1st had it or not.

Vehicle creation rules are some of the most freaking fun things to play around with. I personally wiled away a lot of boring nights building vehicles with Rigger 3 and ships for the two d20 Star Wars games.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-19-13/2019:27> »
I enjoy them. They let the GM add more variety, the players express their creativity and everyone have more fun.

Plus I run enough chase scenes that I really need the advanced vee rules to come out. :)

Register