NEWS

More Subjective "Initial Gear" houserules?

• 5 Replies

Lipe82

• Newb
« on: <06-21-19/1442:58> »
The "shopping" part of SR has always been a huge turn-off for me. It requires players to be *extremely* familiar with the game - both rules and the world in general. For instance: having multiple credsticks; or having a commlink to disguise your Technomancer powers; or various fake licenses/sins; and so on. It takes time, it's a bore, and first timers may easily forget initial gear.

I was thinking about a different way to deal with resources, and would love to hear your opinions, critiques, pros/cons, suggestions etc.

The goal here would be faster character creation, and less "oh I overlooked that item" during games, allowing for more narrative flexibility.

Each priority for cash would actually represent:
-a lifestyle (higher = more luxurious)
-a certain number of weapons and ammo (the higher, the better and more numerous)
-a vehicle (higher = more choices, or units, and more expensive)
-a "runner starter pack", with general stuff like credsticks, commlinks, sins, licenses etc), again scaling (higher = better and more specific stuff).
-a "archetype pack" varying for each archetype, similar to the starter pack but more focused.
-a selection of starting cyber/BioWare (or possibly, reserving an actual amount of cash for that end).

What you guys think? Could it work? Screw me over?
Please share your opinions.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-21-19/1553:14> »
A couple of ideas:

1. When players get to the point in a run where they think, "Drek, if only I'd bought that fragging [insert gear item here]" — they're allowed to spend one point of Edge to acquire it retroactively.

2. Give them a contact who's a pushy salesman with a knack for having obscure gear that will come in useful on the next run: "I just got a box of C-Squared grenades this morning. How many should I put you down for?"

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-21-19/1618:52> »
The latter portion of Run Faster has a number of "Equipment Packs" that are designed for quickly buying up equipment for various characters. I'd recommend looking through those.

ORTEGA76

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-25-19/1324:45> »
The latter portion of Run Faster has a number of "Equipment Packs" that are designed for quickly buying up equipment for various characters. I'd recommend looking through those.

I was just going to suggest that. During a 3E campaign with some players new to Shadowrun, I adapted something similar from the R. Talsorian Game "Cybergeneration". In that game, a player picked from a long list of character "classes" and picked a handful of items from a predetermined list of gear appropriate to the character concept. For example, a "go-ganger" chose a motorcycle and then another couple of items from a list that included a cheap machine pistol, an armored jacket, a helmet, etc. It kept character creation time to a minimum and got us into the game quickly. Helped that this was a street punk campaign with little time for breaks as the team came to possess something of great value and was pursued by multiple parties.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <06-25-19/1328:15> »
SR4 had this one set with booklets and such, including a PACKs list. It was nice.

I should see in a few months if I can design some for SR6. =)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <06-25-19/1646:43> »
SR4 had this one set with booklets and such, including a PACKs list. It was nice.

I should see in a few months if I can design some for SR6. =)
I'm going to be trying my hand at designing Life Modules for SR6 since I like how the build came out when I used them. Maybe linking PACKs to the modules? I'd be interested in what you put together.

Register