NEWS

SR5 Falconine Shapeshifter Adept; Loony Bin Jim

• 12 Replies

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« on: <03-17-15/2055:23> »
Okay. So a couple weeks ago I got my physical copy of Run Faster. Most of the metatypes and such I can wrap my head around. Well, maybe not the infected just yet, but one step at a time. One thing I'm a little shaky on is shapeshifters. So, to see if I've understood it I built one, and to make sure I've got it right I'm going to post it here for critique.

I think I'm probably best at building adepts, so this is an adept - with the Beast's Way as a capper. I like the idea of a falconine shapeshifter. So here's both. With storyline based on the type of bird I chose and the negative qualities. I'm obsessive like that.

Anyway, without further guff...

Raubvogel (German: Bird of Prey/Predator) a.k.a. “Loony Bin Jim”/”LBJ,” Falconine Shapeshifter Adept

Priorities:
Metatype C – Shapeshifter (Falconine; costs 10 Karma) (3)
Attributes A – 24
Magic B – Adept; Magic 6, one Rating 4 active skill
Skills D – 22
Resources E – 6,000 nuyen

Attributes:
(Falconine)
Body 3   
Agility 7
Reaction 6 (8 )
Strength 4 (6)
Willpower 5
Logic 3
Intuition 5
Charisma 4
Edge 4
Magic 6
Initiative 11(13) + 4D6
Condition 11/11
Physical Limit 6(8 )
Mental Limit 6
Social Limit 7

Attributes:
(Human)
Body 3
Agility 6
Reaction 4 (6)
Strength 4 (6)
Willpower 5
Logic 3
Intuition 4
Charisma 3
Edge 4
Magic 6
Initiative 8(10) + 3D6
Condition 11/11
Physical Limit 5 (7)
Mental Limit 5
Social Limit 7

Qualities:
Animal Empathy -3
Common Sense -3
Quick Healer -3
Tough as Nails -5
Allergy (Uncommon: Antibiotics, Mild) +5
Distinctive Style (Silver Gyrfalcon) +5
In Debt (20,000 nuyen) +4
Phobia (Common: Claustrophobia, Mild) +8
Prejudiced (Uncommon: Minotaur, Biased) +3

Skills:
Automatics 6 (4 from magic priority)
Unarmed Combat 6
Perception 4
Sneaking 4
A.ssensing 3 (Up from 2 for 6 Karma)
Etiquette 2
Animal Handling 1 (+2)

Language and Knowledge Skills:
Language (German) N
Language (English) 5
Birds of Prey 4
Hunting Grounds 4
Falconry 3

The Beast’s Way: Falcon Totem:
+1 Animal Handling with non-prey animals, +4 Animal Handling with Falcons
½ Astral Perception, ½ Elemental Strike, ½ Killing Hands

Adept Powers:
Astral Perception -0.5 (discount)
Elemental Strike (Electricity) -0.25 (discount)
Improved Physical Attribute 2 (Strength) -2
Improved Reflexes 2 -2.5
Killing Hands -0.25 (discount)
Penetrating Strike 2 -0.5

Gear – Lifestyle:
Flashlight
Squatter (2 months, private area)
Gold Credstick
Erika Elite Commlink (rating 4)
Micro-Camera (Rating 1: Image Link)
4 Spare Clothes (20 nuyen each, 2 free from lifestyle)
Magic Lodge (rating 6)
Fake SIN 3 [James Alan Parsons: Fake Gun License 3, Fake Adept License 3, and Fake Concealed Carry 3]

Gear – Combat:
FN P93 Praetor [SMG: Acc 6, Dam 8P, Mode SA/BF/FA, RC 1(3), Ammo 50 (c) – Shock Pad, Suppressor, 5 Spare Clips, 250 Regular Ammo, 250 Gel Ammo, 200 Explosive Ammo]
Steyr TMP [Machine Pistol: Acc 4(6), Dam 7P, Mode SA/BF/FA, Ammo 30 (c) – Custom Grip, Suppressor, Concealable Holster, 3 Spare Clips, 150 Regular Ammo, 150 Gel Ammo, 60 Hollow Point Ammo]
Lined Coat [9; Nonconductivity 4]
Helmet [+2; Low Light Vision, Flare Compensation, Vision Magnification, Gas Mask, Biomonitor]

Unarmed Stats:
Beak/Bite [Rea -1, Dam 6(8 ), Acc (Phys), AP -3]
Talons/Claws [Dam 4(6), Acc (Phys), AP -2]

Contacts:
Fixer [Loyalty 1, Connection 4]
Park Ranger [Loyalty 3, Connection 1]
Veterinarian [Loyalty 1, Connection 2]

Background: Raubvogel is a displaced falconine shapeshifter adept. His default form is that of a large silver-plumed gyrfalcon. He prefers to be in his original falconine state, and spends much of his time flying – for food; he usually hunts birds and small to medium-sized mammals. Often found in a squat on the roof of a tall building – mirroring the gyrfalcon preference for nesting on high cliffs. In his human form his only preferred civilized comfort is sautéed shrimp. His human form is nothing special, but a large silver-plumed gyrfalcon sticks out like a sore thumb above a sprawl.

Originally from the Scandinavian Union, he was captured – roughly – by a Greek Minotaur looking to sell birds for falconry. Thus, while intellectually he knows people are individuals, he nonetheless uncomfortable with that particular troll metatype. Due to being kept in a tiny metal cage while being moved, as such he is also leery of enclosed spaces. It was during this time he gained his original name: “Bird of Prey.” Unoriginal, but his captor wasn’t particularly fluent in German, either.

The Saeder-Krupp executive he was sold to was, however, quite proud of possessing such a grand falcon and thus treated Raubvogel well enough that he didn’t mind. He learned English listening to the bilingual corporate man, and was moved with the man when he was transferred to an East Coast North American branch. The man was never aware his prized – and slightly spoiled – gyrfalcon was a shapeshifter.

During a falconry excursion, the corporate executive was taken out via a wetwork job. Raubvogel was trapped, unconscious and wounded, beneath his dead meal-ticket’s arm with a solid hood still on. Thankfully, he was found by a park ranger, who took the injured and unconscious rare bird to a veterinarian who patched him up. Once healed, Raubvogel showed himself as a shapeshifter.

The ranger was elated, furnishing him with a lost SIN and some cheap clothes. He was later introduced to a fixer and given a job to keep watch on a place for a shadowrun. He earned the nickname Loony Bin Jim after watching from the top of a streetlight in his human form. Once discovered as a shapeshifter, those that don’t mind amend the nickname to LBJ. He tends to keep quiet, as his tolerance for chat is very low. Unfamiliar with money, he doesn’t quite understand why borrowing a large sum of money from illicit sources is a bad idea.

Sorry for the unnecessary background.
*Ahem.* Have at it.
« Last Edit: <03-17-15/2350:25> by Lethal Joke »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-17-15/2229:14> »
Ditch Blades, max out Automatics and Unarmed.  All your skills at 1 or 2 should be bought with Karma, not points.  Really when spending skill points start by putting skills at 6 until you run out of points then grab a few at 1 with Karma.  If that doesn't get you where you feel you need to be you may have to shuffle priorities.

You've got Astral Perception as a power but no Assensing or Astral Combat.  (Unless hoopensing 3 is Assensing?)  I'd ditch Astral Perception and Elemental strike for a couple levels of Combat Sense.  But that's me, I like not getting hit a whole lot.  One of my favorite things. 

Personally I don't mind Stats of 1, YMMV.  Cha 1, Logic 1 picks up STR, REC, and INT to 5, and Body to 4, again, YMMV. 

Animal Empathy and Direction Sense are both pretty meh.  You're a falcon, gain altitude and look around.  Mountains are East, Ocean is West (in Seattle anyway).  I'd drop those outright. 

Improved Physical Ability is sooo expensive to get with power points.  Consider the ability boost power, Agility gets good mileage.  Critical strike Unarmed gets you +1 DV, basically what 1 level of improved str is getting you.  You'd be able to boost Agility and fire a burst for your first action.  Next action, move to melee and hit something, therefore resetting your recoil.  Rinse and repeat.  Burst, Burst, Punch.  Embrace the Gun Kata.

You're also lacking a solid secondary thing, other than "Falcon".  Outside of combat your character doesn't have a whole lot to do other than dive bomb field mice.   :)   Consider what you'd like to be doing when the Decker and Face are doing stuff.  It's not going to be much, since most of your resources are put into combat, but it's good to have a hobby. 

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-17-15/2230:39> »
Huh... hoosensing it is.  Must be forum censoring?

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #3 on: <03-17-15/2234:42> »
Yeah. There's a thread on it in general discussion. They've replaced all the a-s-s with "hoop." Which is fine, but that includes when it's in a word.

This character will never see the light of day, not as a PC at any rate. I'm just making sure I get the way you're supposed to make a shapeshifter. If I were building him for real, he probably would be a magician with a lot of the modifications you said already.
« Last Edit: <03-17-15/2237:53> by Lethal Joke »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-17-15/2253:10> »
Yeah. There's a thread on it in general discussion. They've replaced all the a-s-s with "hoop." Which is fine, but that includes when it's in a word.

This character will never see the light of day, not as a PC at any rate. I'm just making sure I get the way you're supposed to make a shapeshifter. If I were building him for real, he probably would be a magician with a lot of the modifications you said already.

Ah, there you go then.  Yeah, I don't know what to do with Shapeshifters either really.  They used to be really expensive and regenerate.  Now, they're sorta  expensive and don't regenerate.  Mechanically I don't know what the niche is other than "cool". 

A+ for flavor I guess. 

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #5 on: <03-17-15/2356:56> »
I modified some of it regardless of whether or not it'll see daylight. Small things.

You were right enough about the blades skill that the change needs to be made, certainly. I also wasn't overfond of sense of direction.

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-18-15/0458:05> »
Well a falconine can fly
That's niche, in my book

FrowningMirror

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-18-15/0819:34> »
I always liked the idea of getting long arms and sniping people after flying to the top of a building. I mean hey, you've reached the top and have good eye-sight!

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <03-18-15/0840:10> »
How would you take the weapon with you? I assumed that no items would transform when you shift, but I didn't find an expalaition of the transformation process in the base rule book or Run Faster...

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-18-15/0844:27> »
... now I'm imagining a cyber-falcon with cyber implant firearms. No need to carry anything.

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <03-18-15/0851:03> »
That sounds great but aren't shapeshifters unable to retain cyberware?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-18-15/0856:56> »
Only based on regeneration (deltaware only) - which is curiously missing from 5e.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-18-15/2000:04> »
Or, pick up a Magic stat, put a small spyglass on a collar and Manabolt/Lightingball away!

Register