NEWS

[SR5] Noob making combat MA in 2-man group

• 14 Replies

GoodbyeSoberDay

• Newb
« on: <05-15-14/0450:11> »
Edit: OP updated to reflect fixes, clarify some things, and present an alternate build idea (shaman instead of hermetic).

In the future I think I'll end up playing a game of SR5 with only one other player, who will probably play a decker; maybe he'll rig too, I dunno.  I hear those rules need some work, but I'll let the other player and GM deal with that.  We'll be a bit spread thin with just two runners, but I think the first few sessions will be relatively simple to let us get the hang of things.  With that in mind I figured I could make a survivable, if limited, mystic adept.  I played a face the last two times I played SR (4e but still), so I went hermetic.  It's a bit stupid to have two LOG-focused characters in a two man group and little-to-no face skills... but we'll be good with knowledges?  I dunno, I didn't want to play a face.  Anyway, my main plan was to focus on not dying the first few sessions and then use karma to fill out the big holes in this character sheet (namely, increase dump stats to 2, increase edge, buy some spells).  So, a little delayed initiation, but it's worthwhile I think.

The general plan is to Mob Mind/Control Thoughts susceptible enemies and summon spirits to deal with anything else.  I figure I have pretty good initiative, surprise, perception, and dodge so even though I'll be the main target of every enemy ever maybe I'll survive?

I have some questions:
My negative qualities are amusing to me, but boring from a plot hook perspective.  What NQs can I take instead that are interesting but not completely character-destroying?
Not related to my character, but is Uncouth the worst thing ever?
Am I reading the encumbrance rules correctly?  I.E. can I wear an Armored Jacket with 1 strength as long as it only has a +1 modification?  If I'm screwed there should I switch BOD with STR?
What "must have" spells/skills am I missing?

Here's the sheet; please critique!

Priorities
Metatype D (Human, pts towards magic)
Attributes B
Magic C
Skills A
Resources E

Stats
BOD 3
AGI 1
REA 5 [8]
STR 1
WIL 5
LOG 6
INT 5
CHA 2
MAG 6
EDG 2

Derived Stats
Drain: 11
Initiative: 13+4d6 (see adept powers)
Passive Defense: 16
Surprise: 13
Damage Soak: 15
Physical limit: 5
Mental limit: 8
Social limit: 5
Astral limit: 8
Composure: 7
Judge Intentions: 7
Memory: 11
Lifting/Carrying: 4
Base Lift/Carry: 15/10

Skills
Skill Groups:
Conjuring 6 (12 dice)
Athletics 4 (5 dice)

Individual Skills:
Con 6 (8 dice)
Counterspelling 6 (12 dice, combat specialization)
Ritual Spellcasting 6 (12 dice)
Spellcasting 6 (12 dice, manipulation specialization, +2 manipulation from mentor spirit)
Sneaking 6 (7 dice, urban specialization)
Assensing 6 (11 dice)
Perception 6 (11 dice, visual specialization)

Skills bought with karma:
Etiquette 1 (3 dice)
First Aid 1 (7 dice)

Adept Powers
Improved Reflexes 3
Combat Sense 3
Astral Perception

Spells
Control Thoughts
Mob Mind
Heal
Combat Sense
Improved Invisibility

Knowledge Skills
English N
Japanese 6
Parazoology 6 (12 dice)
Magical Theory 6 (12 dice)
Street Drugs 2 (7 dice)

Contacts
1/2 Talismonger

Buy some skills (+6)
Dem cash moneys (+5)
Mentor Spirit: Bear (+5)
Focused Concentration 1 (+4)
Mild Allergy: Bees (-10)
Mild Addiction: Zen (-4)
Spirit Bane: Beast (-7)
Gremlins 1 (-4)

Equipment
I haven't gotten this far, but I figure I'll get a low lifestyle (maybe be roomies with the decker) and spend most of my meager money on a decent SIN and reagents.  And Zen.  Gotta have me some drugs.

Alternative Build: Face-ish
Here's what would change:
LOG = 1, CHA = 6, STR = 2
Get 4 points in the Influence group, nothing in the Athletics group except 1 point in running (bought with karma)
Get a loyal fixer and a better talismonger contact
Know almost nothing (re: knowledge skills)... use contacts for this I guess.
Remove Gremlins and Spirit Bane, get Dependents (6 karma) and... Outspoken Prejudice against Wagemages.  I'm thinkin' those two NQs go together.
« Last Edit: <05-16-14/0159:51> by GoodbyeSoberDay »

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-15-14/0529:37> »
With two players, you'll need to do double duty. As such, you might want to consider a shaman/face build, as they have good synergy. The other player can go combat decker (Street Sam/Decker) and you can have the basics covered between you. They can pick up Rigging down the road and work it in to their build.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #2 on: <05-15-14/1105:30> »
Gremlins is a beast, as is spirit bane, AND they're kinda boring, like you said.
Might i suggest "Dependents" at a high level?
Aging relative? Kids from a BTL junkie sister? Happy housewise and family in the suburbs who think daddy has a nice safe corporate job?
all of these things can make a character a LOT more interesting without crippling it.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-15-14/1107:55> »
i like the dynamic yall two got set up.
If neither of yall can face, just make sure yall have a high loyalty fixer for a contact. Someone you KNOW wont fuck you over. it'll be trickier, but you'll get by.
I imagine yall as the coolest 2 man duo ever, 1 skilled in all forms of magic, the other in all forms of tech.

Aint there some fluff in the 5th ed book about a 2 man team just like that?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-15-14/1110:34> »
Also, you can only start with one stat at racial max. you've got 2 i think.
So throw one of those logic points into agility so you don't auto-miss every single agility based skill you don't have a point in. And if you're gonna throw 3 levels into improved reflexes, do ya REALLY need to bother with the 6 reaction at gen?
i'd take a point outta that too, and throw it into charisma for the same reason.
« Last Edit: <05-15-14/1112:11> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

GoodbyeSoberDay

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-15-14/1426:54> »
Whoops, I misread an "or" for an "and," so my stats are indeed illegally allocated.  I can put that point of reaction into... STR or CHA or AGI.  Hm.  I'm tempted to put it into STR actually.

If I switched out Spirit Bane and Gremlins 1 for Dependents (good idea, but it's less likely I'll have a buddy sitcom with the decker), I'd probably pick up the 6 karma version, leaving me with a 5 karma quality missing.  Is Distinctive Style a terrible idea?  I don't know how easy it is to track people down without it.  Actually those two together sound like I'm begging for my dependent to get in trouble... which from a story perspective is kind of the point I guess?

If I went part time face, I'd swap LOG for CHA, put my R4 skill group into Influence, and... move something around so I can still *try* to use the run skill.  Is 10 dice in the Influence group going to cut it, as a secondary specialty?  On the plus side my composure goes way up, meaning that silly "must help those in need" Fire-bringer (did I say bear?) mentor spirit drawback isn't so bad.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-15-14/1526:04> »
Even if you don't want to be a Face, I suggest having at least Etiquette 1 just to be able to not give offense constantly. It's a small investment not to have to default to 0 dice and have to Edge it.
Playability > verisimilitude.

GoodbyeSoberDay

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-15-14/1734:59> »
That's a good point.  I can definitely spare 2 karma to at least have dice to roll on it, if I don't relent and switch to Shaman.  10 dice ain't perfect but it's better than 2.

Also, thinking about the Dependents quality, the "Happy Housewife & Kids" idea is interesting but a bit too Breaking Bad.  Maybe the happy housewife convinced my character to go into the shadows because she likes the money and the relative freedom, and the complication is keeping the secret from the little ones.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-15-14/1902:08> »
That's a good point.  I can definitely spare 2 karma to at least have dice to roll on it, if I don't relent and switch to Shaman.  10 dice ain't perfect but it's better than 2.

Also, thinking about the Dependents quality, the "Happy Housewife & Kids" idea is interesting but a bit too Breaking Bad.  Maybe the happy housewife convinced my character to go into the shadows because she likes the money and the relative freedom, and the complication is keeping the secret from the little ones.
Maybe she has a price on her head, and she's the one who has to keep hidden.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

mrcatman

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <05-15-14/1948:38> »
If at all possible, swap priorities to grab more spells: Levitate, Mind Probe, Influence, Resist Pain, Trid Phantasm and Physical Mask would be very helpful to your 2 man team sans face.

GoodbyeSoberDay

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <05-15-14/2134:07> »
Moar spells are one of the first things I'm going to get post chargen.  I think I can survive a session or two lacking some versatility.  Also, what is the benefit of Mind Probe over Control Thoughts (and forcing the subject to tell you what they know)?

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <05-16-14/0123:05> »
I like the build.  This is my favorite way to do priorities for a human mage.  I am not sure how you got 6 in Logic and Reaction (only one maxed stat).  I also had a hard time following your skill-groups that you bought with your A skills.

GoodbyeSoberDay

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-16-14/0141:28> »
You had a hard time following my skill allocation, as in I didn't list them very clearly, or you're wondering why I picked the ones I did?  Also yes, I goofed on the stat allocation.  Where should I put that illegal point of reaction?

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <05-16-14/0150:42> »
I simply could not figure out which were group skills.  The thing is, you cannot advance group skills at chargen (using your leftover 46 points), and you cannot specialize them.

Going with you concept of not shying away from 1's, I would put it into body.  Not because it buys you a health box (even body does not) but because buying that body would cost you more later.

GoodbyeSoberDay

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <05-16-14/0202:38> »
I edited the OP in part to clarify what are skill groups and what are individual skills.

Honestly with all the non-initiation, non-focus-binding karma I'm already going to be spending (spells known, edge, bumping the 1s), I don't see myself increasing Body any time soon.  It's not as much karma value I guess, but I went with bumping CHA (but I might switch that back to BOD if I switch to a shaman).