• 9 Replies

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-10-14/0530:19> »
ENTER/EXIT HOST
(complex Action)
Marks Required: 1
Test: n/a
You enter a host that you have a mark on and your icon appears there, or you leave a host you’re already in. There is no test for this action: a host allows anyone to enter if they’ve got a mark, and anyone inside can exit. The host might not be so welcoming once you’re inside, of course, and some IC has the ability to keep you trapped in a host until you can break out. When you leave a host, you return to the grid from which you entered.

A simple question, but one with interesting possibilities. You obviously need 1 mark to enter a host, but do you still need 1 mark to exit a host? It says anyone inside can exit, but the marks required for Enter/Exit is listed as 1. So if you're inside the host and the host erases your mark, can you not leave until you mark them again?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-10-14/0545:43> »
I would chalk that up to one of the grammatical error/typo/other bugs that are going to be fixed in the electron edition.  Unless you are linklocked you can exit a host.  Alternatively you could say that if you are in a host and you don't have a mark you are either ejected or ICE is launched against you automatically.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-10-14/0551:39> »
It does seem like the rules don't permit you to exit without a mark - you can probably jack out just fine, but still.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-11-14/1308:04> »
you only need a mark to enter
anyone inside a host can exit it

you also don't need a mark to Jack Out.
(and you don't need a mark to switch interface mode from VR to AR to avoid dump shock before you Jack Out).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-11-14/1541:31> »

Citation please?  Keep in mind we're discussing the Exit Host action, not the Jack Out action.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-11-14/2129:42> »

Citation please?  Keep in mind we're discussing the Exit Host action, not the Jack Out action.

The second sentence of what the OP quoted.
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-12-14/1103:17> »
"... a host allows anyone to enter if they've got a mark"
"... anyone inside can exit."
p 239

There is no mentioning that you need a mark to exit (but I guess you can read it like that if you really wish). There is also no mentioning of a host having the ability to trap you in a host. Exception being "...some IC has the ability to keep you trapped in a host until you can break out. " [Tar Baby and Black IC].

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <02-12-14/1242:46> »
According to RAW, I agree that there's no reason to think you can't leave a host of your own volition if you choose.  However, I have to ask: has anyone confirmed if link-lock can trap you in the host?  That's how Tar Baby and Binder IC work, so I'm thinking that if you are link-locked you cannot exit the host (as opposed to just preventing jacking out).
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-12-14/1249:21> »
I can confirm it. Page 229 in SR5:
If you’re link-locked, you can’t use the Switch Interface Mode, the Enter/Exit HostHost, or the Reboot actions on the device your persona is using (probably your deck).
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #9 on: <02-12-14/1256:31> »
Awesome.  Thanks Linkdeath.  It sucks not having my PDF with me whenever I want it.  :P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Register