NEWS

[SR5] Sniper Rifles - Minimum Range

• 24 Replies

Sielle

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <09-10-13/2334:34> »
Why put a scope on the sniper rifle in the first place, when a smartgun system and vision enhancement augmentations can take care of all that for you?

Because neither of those replace a scope?  You need image magnification - that CAN be handled by things other than a scope, sure, but a scope is a viable means of handling that.

I'm guessing he meant vision magnification augmentation rather than vision enhancement.

eldamir

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <09-10-13/2349:17> »
yes - meant magnification..

My concept guy is an Ares Firewatch-trained semi-cybered adept sniper with organizational issues - they kitted him out, used and abused him around the world, then massacred his family in a minor corporate misunderstanding, after which, he ran out on them (for some reason, they seem to want their investment back.. )
The Ares aug investment is : synaptic booster (R1), sleep regulator (snipers snipe better when they need less sleep right?), Eyes (Vision Enhancement 2, smartlink, Low Light, Thermo, Flare Comp and Magnification) and a silenced hold-out pistol for when the sniping shtf...
His parent sprang for a delta-model R6 commlink when he was a kid (they were rich corp-types like that and presumed he'd follow in their footsteps)
« Last Edit: <09-11-13/0735:46> by eldamir »

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <09-10-13/2352:39> »

However, I do have a suggestion.  Consider maybe giving each gun (and this would require some work on your part) a different recoil-per-bullet ratio.  As written, each bullet fired from any gun that isn't Single Shot causes 1 point or recoil.  A holdout that fires on SA (the Streetline Special for instance) causes just as much recoil as a shotgun.  If you decide that, say...  A shotgun is 2 recoil per bullet, then you need considerably more recoil compensation.  And this won't cause a penalty for the most part--  That character will just have to focus a bit harder on recoil compensation and do something else every three passes or so.  If you decide that this antimaterial rifle should cause closer to 4 or 5 recoil per shot...  Then now having a Rating 3 gas vent and a bipod out is necessary, and taking a pass to aim because that much more reasonable.  It'd still be feasible to use it in a running firefight, but you'd need to stop every other turn to adjust because of the mad recoil.  It's realistic, I suppose.

Just be aware that it would change the game quite a bit, and make sure you do it to -all- guns equally.  Don't just gimp sniper rifles.

I do like this, and in doing some research, it looks like some of the older edition rules about double recoil are still there.. just not listed in the section of recoil (which is why I missed it).  So, someone with a Panther still racks up Recoil faster than people with small arms.

I think I am going to play a few more sessions, and probably just harass the player the way Lonestar, or CorpSec would upon seeing a hostile with a sniper rifle.  Maybe a little singled-out encouragement to blend in with the rest of the Runners by using pistols, shotguns, or the like, until he really need to break out the rifle to make sure a target is dead.
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #18 on: <09-11-13/0629:30> »
Why put a scope on the sniper rifle in the first place, when a smartgun system and vision enhancement augmentations can take care of all that for you?

Because neither of those replace a scope?  You need image magnification - that CAN be handled by things other than a scope, sure, but a scope is a viable means of handling that.

I'm guessing he meant vision magnification augmentation rather than vision enhancement.

smartgun camera can be upgraded to have vision magnification as well
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-11-13/0746:39> »
A scope costs 300¥ and comes with vision magnification included and a Capacity of 3. A smartgun's camera comes with a Capacity of 1, and it costs 250¥ to use that for vision magnification. So a scope offers more versatility than the smartgun system alone will give you.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <09-12-13/1029:47> »
You can also upgrade the imagining scope (which already come with a camera and vision magnification plus 3 capacity) with a smart link. That why you don't need the link in your eyes or in a pair of goggles. as long as you turn your rifle wireless ON and have DNI you can now eject clip as a free action, shoot around corners for -3 dice, get plus accuracy and plus attack pool. You can close your eyes and fire at the same time. Hell - you don't even need to look at the same direction as you point your rifle and you don't even need to have your index finger on the trigger to take the shot.

Sielle

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <09-12-13/1513:29> »
You can also upgrade the imagining scope (which already come with a camera and vision magnification plus 3 capacity) with a smart link. That why you don't need the link in your eyes or in a pair of goggles. as long as you turn your rifle wireless ON and have DNI you can now eject clip as a free action, shoot around corners for -3 dice, get plus accuracy and plus attack pool. You can close your eyes and fire at the same time. Hell - you don't even need to look at the same direction as you point your rifle and you don't even need to have your index finger on the trigger to take the shot.

But, if you turn wireless on and the smartlink is in the scope as opposed to a piece of cyberware you only get a bonus to your dicepool of +1, not +2.

Also I'd say that if you had the smartlink in the scope you won't be able to shoot around corners because the scope would be around the corner as well and you have nothing to look through (unless you removed it from the gun first).  You don't need to look the same direction as the gun, but you do need to be looking through the smartlink (smartlink not the smartgun system).

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #22 on: <09-12-13/1542:30> »
In real life many folks use backup iron sights to the scope, either visible above or below the scope, or canted to the left or right on a side mount. Some people even put secondary quick target aquisition holo sights on the side mount. Or even have the scope on a hinged mount so it can be flipped out of the way quickly.

-k

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-12-13/1556:18> »
yes, the bonus would be +1

but if you link to the smartlink and the smartgun with your DNI, don't you get the "picture projected" in your head.....
shrug. nah, maybe not. you want the +2 bonus anyway and to get that you need a retinal modification to your natural eyes.
(but at least THAT would let you fire without looking in the correct direction since you "aim" through the smartgun camera projected to your smartlink (or image link?) and not through the rifle iron sights or the imaging scope reticle)

btw,,,,
"+2 if you’re using an augmentation for which you paid Essence."
Does this mean that you only get +1 dice if you use an augmentation for which you payed Capacity instead of Essence? ;)

In real life many folks use backup iron sights to the scope, either visible above or below the scope, or canted to the left or right on a side mount. Some people even put secondary quick target aquisition holo sights on the side mount. Or even have the scope on a hinged mount so it can be flipped out of the way quickly.
Military sharpshooters using scoped battle rifles(me) also practice a lot to fire with both eyes opened, using the vision of the left eye for situational awareness and quick targeting and the zoomed in vision of the right eye for precision targeting (not sure about snipers using extreme long range sniper rifles).

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #24 on: <09-12-13/1632:24> »
btw,,,,
"+2 if you’re using an augmentation for which you paid Essence."
Does this mean that you only get +1 dice if you use an augmentation for which you payed Capacity instead of Essence? ;)

No, it'd be +2.  The augmentation still costs Essence; things that are using capacity are parts of other augmentations, not augmentations on their own.  You can get just a Smartlink augmentation, or you can have Cyber Eyes with the Smartlink upgrade.  Both are still augmentations you paid for with essence.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Register