NEWS

Dark and gritty adventure

• 11 Replies

Xelian

• Newb
« on: <11-01-18/1057:17> »
My players want to try something more mystical and magical for our next adventure and I have been wondering about advice what books I should look at. Or if there is some premade adventure I can use/modify.  I want something with a more medieval touch to it. Cults, sacrifices things like that. Currently the group is based in Seattle. There are so many books I don't know where to even start reading. Forbidden Arcana maybe?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <11-01-18/1426:03> »
Any official adventure involving Dr. Auslander is always a creepy magical thing. The end result will always be a massive fight at the end.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-01-18/1427:50> »
Any official adventure involving Dr. Auslander is always a creepy magical thing. The end result will always be a massive fight at the end.

Seconded.  Humanitarian Aid followed by Romero and Juliet would be a great set of linked adventures.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <11-01-18/1435:01> »
Do note that R&J nerfed him Edge-wise, which is the same nerf one should apply in HA.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PingGuy

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <11-01-18/1445:39> »
Is this the kind of thing that Dark Terrors would be useful for?

adzling

« Reply #5 on: <11-01-18/1525:41> »
I'd suggest looking at the 4e campaign Ghost Cartels.

It has all of what you're asking for but will require a little work to update to 5e.

I ran my table through a modified version of that campaign that has now seque'd into a srun conversion of the classic CoC campaign, Masks of Nyarlathothep.

Pictures or it didn't happen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9cj4e8zhooicbi/masks_campaign.jpg?dl=0

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #6 on: <11-01-18/1550:23> »

Seconded.  Humanitarian Aid followed by Romero and Juliet would be a great set of linked adventures.

He then shows up in Chicago (I think it was mission 6-06, but it kind of builds over the course of a number of the missions that season), and then there was a stand-alone prime-runner mission "A Holy Piece of Wetwork" where you take the battle to him.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-25-19/2252:05> »
If you can get a hold of a copy of Universal Brotherhood from 1st edition, you can get some good flavor of a magical nature.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-25-19/2253:28> »
Or Bottled Demon - this one would be easier to translate to current story lines.  :)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <02-15-19/0503:45> »
I found the few plot threads that involved Darke to be particularly gritty...
But they are spread all through out 2e and 3e and thus I don't have a complete reference for you. 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

kainite311

• Chummer
  • PC's are just murder hobo's...
« Reply #10 on: <02-21-19/1630:01> »
Holy Piece of Wetwork - Prime Runner adventure. Takes place on a metaplane against Auslander (its the finale to Auslander)
Lethal Forces - Basically introducing some horrors I believe
The Denver storm front series (Part 3 particularly - Serrated Edge)

If you want 'mystical' then maybe look at Harlequin's Back from 2nd or 3rd edition for a multiple metaplanes ride of weirdness
« Last Edit: <02-21-19/1634:53> by kainite311 »
Kainite
Actually, in most Shadowrun games, they typically have a Lifestyle so they're either Murder Hobos (Street/Squatter Level) or Murder Renters (Low+ level)

Dangermaus

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <04-05-19/2048:10> »

I ran my table through a modified version of that campaign that has now seque'd into a srun conversion of the classic CoC campaign, Masks of Nyarlathothep.

I'd sure love to have a write up of that conversion... my players maybe not so much!!