NEWS

Wired Reflexes order of unlocking

• 4 Replies

SITZKRIEG

• Newb
« on: <04-13-17/1450:24> »
Hey chummers, I'm an old Shadowrun (2nd-early 4th ed) player who is looking to possibly get back into the game and looking at Anarchy as the starting point.  In making some test characters, I had a few questions including one about the order things "unlock" with amp points for Wired/Improved reflexes.  You first get an extra attack then one then two plot points.  Is that the correct order in terms of power?  I obviously haven't played but from a munchkin power gaming perspective isn't the extra attack more "useful" than the plot point?   It seems to me that the extra attack would fit better between the plot points unlocking at level 2 in order to curtail minmaxing.   Any advice on the relative power of the two mechanics would be appreciated (and yes I know it's a narrative rules light game and the gm/players can change whatever they want when they want).

Navigator

• Errata Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <04-13-17/1733:55> »
Welcome to Anarchy, old-timer :P

Correct, that's what the table on Pg. 65 states.

If you really want the plot points before the extra attack, you could model an Amp after the Reaction Enhancers on Pg. 203 (in the Catalogue section).
I reckon it's a holdover from editing, but if your GM is cool with it by all means use it. I know I did ;) Not every character (or player) wants extra attacks after all.

The extra plot points also allow you (with "A dish best served cold") to make counterattacks outside of your turn which brings added tactical advantages. But yes, the extra attack will likely give back the most mileage. Which is why I think that the attack bonus makes up the first level of Wired Reflexes etc.

On a balance side, I can't really say I've noticed a problem with the Reaction Enhancements. *Narrow eyes at Agility-boosting Amps*

Feel free ask more questions or natter. There's a few helpful runners who have been happy to make the switch, and I usually pop in every evening (GMT).
Avatar copyright of Tracy J. Butler of lackadaisycats.com

"I said Pilot-Navigator. I'm not some amateur playing with drones."

SITZKRIEG

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-14-17/0017:24> »
Thanks for the reply.  My concern was due to experiences both as a player and a GM in Shadowrun where others told me they felt there was an almost mandatory arms race to get that second initiative pass/action for their meat body regardless of their role on the team.  Right or wrong... that's how they felt... and I was concerned that Anarchy was encouraging that mentality by putting the more reliably useful every turn/narration second attack right in front for easy min/max access. 

Navigator

• Errata Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-14-17/1013:32> »
In that sense, I suppose Anarchy is continuing another tradition. For good or ill, a lot of players would expect extra actions to be part of the system.

You can get the extra action sure, but for what it's worth you don't get an extra narration or even a movement to play around with. If someone's basically playing out an extra attack into a double-length narration, they need to be, politely or not, hurried along and stop showboating.

I don't like invoking the golden rule but, if that's a GM/shared concern, the table in question can nix Reaction Enhancements (relying on Plot Points for extra out-of-turn actions) or as you mentioned switch the levels around. No-one need ever know.

A progression of 1 x Plot Point, 2 x Plot Point, extra attack also makes sense in that the Amp develops increased action consistency.
Avatar copyright of Tracy J. Butler of lackadaisycats.com

"I said Pilot-Navigator. I'm not some amateur playing with drones."

Vormaerin

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-15-17/0807:42> »
The reality is that the amps listed are EXAMPLES.  They are not rules.  You can create whatever you want for wired reflexes.   You want them to give a bonus to piloting skills (which they sort of did in 5e because of the reaction stat bonus)?  Do it.  You think a plot point every scene is too much?  Reduce it to the start of every combat. 

You are absolutely not limited to what it given in the books when making amps.  They are to be explicitly tailored to your game and characters.   Wired reflexes don't even have to do the same thing for different characters in your group.  Maybe Bob's wired reflexes give him plot points, while Joe's give him a bonus Move and bonus Action.

And, yes, its very important to realize that +1 attack is not the same thing as "has a second turn".  It means you can shoot two people (or whatever damage causing thingie you want to do) in the same turn.  Very useful, but not as important as an additional initiative pass was in previous editions.