Shadowrun

Shadowrun Play => Play-by-Post => Topic started by: Crossbow on (20:29:17/09-13-16)

Title: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:29:17/09-13-16)
         While it is easy to get wrapped up in your own little world, there is a larger world beyond you that is moving along too.  Things are happening in Seattle, some of the things impact your world, but only on the edges.  Seems like every other thing you hear or read these days has to do with tempo, drugs, or the fallout from the recent “restructuring” of the criminal underworld. It’s been a dangerous few months, even though you have managed to miss most of it, with every major and minor player in the sprawl fighting tooth-and-nail for their place.

   Clementine actually received a job offer that had the potential to return her to her former position, only the find her possible employer and his entire clan removed from consideration, as well as this mortal coil, in a fiery confrontation on the waterfront before she could even return the call.

   Snow’s Vory continue to be keeping to edges of the conflict, any serious notice from the dysfunctional families of the Mafia or the feuding Oriental syndicates having the potential to remove them from the game entirely.  Her researcher’s eye has picked up the thread of this strategy in the work she has been tasked with, including this potential ally from foreign shores she is to meet.

   But, not incredibly unsurprisingly, it is the lowlife and danger filled world of the Bullet Storm O’Conner that has the biggest change.   His old buddies and current targets of choice, the Azure Fists, seemed to have disappeared entirely.  The mysterious absence was finally explained the night before when Darryl spotted one of the members with his flame motif absorbed into another organization's colors.  Some short (no jokes) legwork later confirmed the news.  The Fists had been absorbed into the Halloweeners, they were apparently the latest attempt by the larger gang to get a foothold (fisthold?) into the Barrens.  The dwarf had delivered his info personally to his friend, along with some Caustic Kaf and a PsoydoBagel.  The adept having received his latest magical drubbing the night before after delivering a Gyro Platter to the Park, and another on the calendar for tonight (shrimp scampi).


   Even the news is obsessed with tempo, and it seems like right now, every trid channel is covering yet another tempo-fueled crime spree. Outside, the acid rain is pouring down, and the automated weather service has just put out a warning on the chance of sleet tonight. All in all, it’s a miserable Saturday morning. Wouldn’t it be nice to just get away from it all?  That is certainly the thought that Torley and Sammy must be having while they wait for a Club message to be delivered to their table at the upscale breakfast nook they were ordered be at.

   The message?   “Special request from a Ms. Johnson, a second to a fellow Club member. She has a need for a team to accompany her on a trip overseas, somewhere tropical. She wants to meet tonight, at the 77 Club in Renton. There is a room reserved for 5 o’clock.”  Included is an address and a code signal for entry.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (12:10:41/09-14-16)
"That's direct enough," Sammy remarked, while wondering how she was going to explain this to Marcus.  They had started speaking again and now she would be leaving already.  Not to mention the fact that her appartment would probably become a permanent party place and he wouldn't go to school at all.  She wondered who she could ask to look after him.
"I guess we better warn the others," she added, while going on the public site of the club and not finding much, except that it was private, "That club looks like it has a dress code, so Connor will need a lot of lead time to make sure he's presentable."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (04:39:08/09-15-16)
O'Connor was staring out his window up at the dreary clouds contemplating his next move. He was at an impasse, and uncertain of how to proceed. The Azure Fists becoming a subset of the Halloweeners was not something he had seen coming. The message they left on Angus' corpse, "You ain't the only one hunting anymore bitch," suddenly had a lot more weight to it. The Azure Fists had been a relatively small gang that was able to punch above it's weight, literally, by recruiting physical adepts almost exclusively . Now they were a part of a far larger gang, one from all accounts were ten times as mean and vicious as the Fists had ever been.

O'Connor took great pride in his abilities, but even he knew that one man could never hope to win against a gang as large as the Halloweeners. It was only a matter of time before the Fists, backed by their new freak show buddies, would come after him to end things. The nature of this war had just radically changed, and he needed a new strategy. The problem was that he wasn't a very strategic person, his old strategy was track down members of the Azure Fists and shoot them in the face. It was simple, straightforward, and worked. Now, it was useless unless he was looking to get himself killed. If the Azure Fists were making new friends, perhaps so should he.

He laughed darkly at the thought, his interpersonal skills were rather lacking. He figured that there were several gangs that wouldn't look kindly on the Halloweeners trying to muscle their way into Redmond. The problem was that O'Connor knew that he wouldn't be able persuade any of them into forming an alliance. Another option was just outright joining one of the gangs, but he was hesitant to travel down that path. The Fists' betrayal has left O'Connor with some deep seated trust issues. He only agreed to join the C-Block Crasher because he needed the protection and had no other options. This time around, his options were far wider. He promised himself a long time ago that he'd die before losing his freedom again, but wasn't signing on with a gang the same thing as giving up his freedom? He didn't know what to do next, but he needed to decide soon. He continued to stare up at the clouds, the weather perfectly reflecting his mood.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (07:22:01/09-15-16)
The dreary Seattle landscape so familiar to Clementine looked completely foreign to the ork at times. Not only was tempo fueling more feuds in recent times, the new job opportunity she had received was instantly rescinded without Clem having any time to even ponder about it. Nonetheless, the woman went through the mental gymnastics of entertaining the offer. The appeal of belonging to a group of people that understood one's own cultural values was tremendous, there was no doubt about that. But the ork was now a member of Heaven's Devils (the name still made her wince), and she was ultimately determined to see this chapter of her life through.

Her latest bio-acquisition gave Clem heaps of extra energy, which she was burning on an almost daily basis, thanks to the grueling and demanding training regiment she had forced herself to follow. Besides an increase in laundry, the by-products of this would be undeniable, or so she told herself.

Clementine was content with her present schedule, but knew far too well that the near future held cheap Stuffer Shack meals unless the group found new work soon. Promising herself to ease back on her training, she decided that she would start looking for a job pressingly, pushing the other team members to do the same.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (17:18:33/09-15-16)
O'Conner gets a message from Darryl:

"Got some good news for you.  There was a terrible accident at Fort Lewis last night during a live fire exercise.  Rounds landed on vehicles that were supposed to be transporting weapons and ammunition from the field.  The trucks and the cargo area  total loss, but our friend is fine and we will see him next week."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (17:40:26/09-15-16)
"That's direct enough," Sammy remarked...."I guess we better warn the others," she added.

Sam nodded, continuing to eat his eggs Benedict. Working overseas could be fun, though he'd miss Lyra. Since it was Club work, he knew she'd understand, but..."Would be nice if this is the sort of trip we can bring guests on. Wonder what the job is," he said.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:58:33/09-16-16)
Snow's view of the weather outside the high-rise hotel window is hampered by the rise and fall of the man making love to her.  The evening before had gone swimmingly; her gown was just right, her hair was perfect, she had known the right things to say about the right subjects.  She had met the man in the lobby of his very nice hotel and the man had been impressed with her physical assets from the first look.  His eyes had  touched her body as she walked across the expansive space and his hands had touched her body in the rear of the limousine that quietly whisked them away to a nice restaurant, where they shared a cozy private booth and got to know each other better, which translated to him getting a good idea of what her body felt like.  Dinner had been great and the man even had some nice moves on the dance floor afterwards.  Back at the hotel, her clothes were almost off her in the elevator to the penthouse, and certainly were as soon as they entered the suite.  She had entertained the man for some time before he finally drifted off to sleep, exhausted.  For her part, Snow has played this game many times over the years and knows her job.  She has always considered it a bonus that she actually likes sex and is very good at it.  She gives the client her undivided attention and makes him feel that he is the man of the hour.  He does not even know the small things she does to make him a great lover.  He certainly tells her that she is worlds better than his shrewish wife, who just does not understand his needs any more.

He has wakened in a rather needy mood and is now in the process of showing her that he has stamina  to spare.  He has told her that he has a dinner meeting this evening that he wants her to attend with him and she knows that the extra gown she had brought with her will be just perfect.  The evening is taken care of, but that leaves most of the day and almost all of tomorrow for recreation, and it is pretty clear what sort of recreation the man is interested in.  Not for the first time, she silently thanks her corporate and Vory trainers for what they had taught her about being a Corporate Hostess.  She is well trained and skilled at this sort of thing and enjoys it, making it a win win for herself, the client, and the Vory.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:00:49/09-16-16)
Sam nodded, continuing to eat his eggs Benedict. Working overseas could be fun, though he'd miss Lyra. Since it was Club work, he knew she'd understand, but..."Would be nice if this is the sort of trip we can bring guests on. Wonder what the job is," he said.

"In the message it says 'a team', so I assume it's for the entire team," Sammy said, "and if I recall correctly, most tropical places are not very nice places, so I doubt they would only need two smooth talkers, even if they can sling mojo.  I'm contacting the others and we can still see.  We need to ask anyway, now that we're an official team."

She composed a text message to the rest of the team, including Sam of course.
Me and Sam have a possible line on some work from a Ms. Johnson. She has a need for a team to accompany her on a trip overseas, somewhere tropical. She wants to meet tonight, at the 77 Club in Renton. There is a room reserved for 5 o’clock.  You guys interested?  
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (02:38:33/09-16-16)
The message from Sammy, which would otherwise have been a welcome sight on a morose day, actually annoyed Clementine a little bit. Surprised at her own reaction, Clem took a moment to glance at the calendar before composing her answer. Realizing this was surely a product of physiological processes, the ork shrugged off the negative emotions and began typing away.

<Yes, I know the place, I'll wait for you by the entrance.>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (03:12:42/09-16-16)
Various parts of Snow's body are quite busy when the message comes in and she delays answering until the man finishes and rolls off of her to lay quivering on the bed beside her.  She puts her head on his chest and curls in next to him as she composes her answer. 

>>Team.  Snow.  Very interested.  I am working this evening, though, and sadly unavailable to make the dinner meeting.  My current obligation is set to end tomorrow evening.  I know the 77 Club from previous employment and it is highly unlikely that you will be able to contact me while inside due to some quite good shielding there.  I also understand that the J might require an answer tonight and so leave my vote in Starlet's hands.  I assume that no other details are available at this time or you would have mentioned them.<<.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (03:19:53/09-16-16)
O'Conner gets a message from Darryl:

"Got some good news for you.  There was a terrible accident at Fort Lewis last night during a live fire exercise.  Rounds landed on vehicles that were supposed to be transporting weapons and ammunition from the field.  The trucks and the cargo area  total loss, but our friend is fine and we will see him next week."

She composed a text message to the rest of the team, including Sam of course.
Me and Sam have a possible line on some work from a Ms. Johnson. She has a need for a team to accompany her on a trip overseas, somewhere tropical. She wants to meet tonight, at the 77 Club in Renton. There is a room reserved for 5 o’clock.  You guys interested?

O'Connor received both messages around the same time. He gave a small smile at them. The machine gun was almost here, and there was a new job. He needed a bit of good news after what Darrel told him about the Azure Fists and Halloweeners. He sent off replies to quick succession.

<[Recipient: Darrel | Text]: Great news. Seems like the team's got another out of town job in the pipeline. Don't know how long this is gonna last, so I'm gonna drop off the backend payment for the machine gun. I might as well also give you the scratch for parts and labor for both projects, so crunch those numbers. I'll be by in an hour or so.>

<[Recipient: Heaven's Devils | Text]: I'm in. What do you know about the meet place?>

<[Recipient: Sarah Barefoot | Text]: I've got a meeting for a job tonight, so that shrimp scampi is gonna have to wait. Anything I can do to further my training while I'm away?>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (06:58:01/09-16-16)
<[Recipient: Heaven's Devils | Text]: I'm in. What do you know about the meet place?>

Sammy looked at the message.  At least O'Connor was getting smart and asked about the meeting place.  It might however be something to send at the entire team, just to be sure.

I've also been to the place once.  It has a quite strict and upscale dress code, so put on your best clothes.  And as Snow says, it's not possible to talk to people outside, but we'll come up with something to let you know what's going on."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (09:25:26/09-16-16)
<[Recipient: Heaven's Devils | Text]: I'm in. What do you know about the meet place?>
Sammy looked at the message.  At least O'Connor was getting smart and asked about the meeting place.  It might however be something to send at the entire team, just to be sure.

I've also been to the place once.  It has a quite strict and upscale dress code, so put on your best clothes.  And as Snow says, it's not possible to talk to people outside, but we'll come up with something to let you know what's going on."

O'Connor read over the reply with a sour look, *Is that high-and-mighty slot mocking me? I feel like Starlet's mocking me.* His "best clothes" was that suit he'd been forced to buy for the Needle. He figured that it didn't qualify as upscale, so once again he was going to be forced to waste perfectly good nuyen on bulldrek. He changed out of his casual clothes into the off the rack suit. He needed a better one, but figured it'd raise suspicion if he walked into a shop and dropped a fat wad of nuyen while dressed like the Barren rat that he was. In O'Connor's experience suspicion lead to cops, and cops lead to dead cops. As fun as it'd be, he didn't need the hassle before a meet.

O'Connor made a brief stop at Darrell's shop to give him a credstick loaded with enough nuyen to get both Swiss Army Rifle and Veiled Wrath completed. Darrell had, rather uncharacteristically, not made an quips about the suit. O'Connor, rather than touched, was annoyed that his oldest (only) friend was treating him with kid gloves after breaking the news about the Fists. He let it slide for the moment, he had things to do and figured Darrell would be his regular smartass self after he got back from the job.

From the gunshop, O'Connor made his way Downtown to the fanciest, most overpriced shopping district he could find. If the rest of the team was going to constantly make snide comments about how he dressed, then he was going to get the last laugh by looking better than all of them combined. After nearly a half hour of looking for a place to park, O'Connor went from store to store window shopping. He was horrified by what a lot of the shops had on display. Apparently something called  the Gagaistic Effect was trending at the moment, *What the fragging hell? THIS is what people consider high fashion?*

O'Connor was about to give up when the window display of Vashon Island made him stop. The suit in the window, labeled as the Synergist Business Line, was displayed with a bitching looking longcoat. Though there were obvious differences, such as a lack of large buttons, the high collar and sleek design reminded him of an ancient vidflick that'd been a particular favorite of his as a child, Equilibrium. He entered the shop, and was reminded of why he hated leaving the Barrens. The shop clerk, an elven women of undeterminable age, looked him up and down critically. The look she gave him told O'Connor that his off the rack suit offended her. Nonetheless she gave him a smile that didn't reach her eyes and asked if she could help him. Her eyes were disdainful and judgmental, they screamed, You don't belong in here. He give her a forced smile in return, *Don't I fragging know it.*

He motioned to his suit, "Obviously this ain't my part of town. The client I'm protecting tonight has demanded that his guard be dressed "classy." The suit also has to be tailored, because of course it does. Then to top it off, I wasn't told about these demands until this morning and I'm suppose to meet the client at five o'clock." He threw in air quotes and a theatrical huff, laying it on thick seemed to work for Torley. He motioned towards the window display, "The one in the window caught my eye. I already know it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg. How many other body parts is it going to cost to have it tailored and ready for tonight?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (09:42:32/09-16-16)
"In the message it says 'a team', so I assume it's for the entire team," Sammy said, "and if I recall correctly, most tropical places are not very nice places, so I doubt they would only need two smooth talkers, even if they can sling mojo.  I'm contacting the others and we can still see.  We need to ask anyway, now that we're an official team."

She composed a text message to the rest of the team, including Sam of course.
Me and Sam have a possible line on some work from a Ms. Johnson. She has a need for a team to accompany her on a trip overseas, somewhere tropical. She wants to meet tonight, at the 77 Club in Renton. There is a room reserved for 5 o’clock.  You guys interested?

Sam wasn't sure if the actress had misunderstood, or was simply brushing him off, but he wasn't going to worry too much about it either way. Sopping up the last of the Hollandaise sauce, he kept an eye on the flow of messages from the team. After thinking about it for a bit, he sent a note to Con. Hey--if you need something to help with the dress code, let me know. Consider it payment for the dancing lessons.

[spoiler][OOC]
Sam's comment from earlier was about potentially bringing Lyra, Tommy, and Marcus to the tropics (though obviously not on the run itself!), not about whether or not the job was for the full group. Sam's probably got a good enough read on Sammy by now that he could figure out where the disconnect was, but I'm not worrying about it. ;)

Also, I'll leave it to GM's discretion on what sorts of clothing Sam can acquire for Con (assuming Con's willing to go along with it). The fancy-shmancy stuff from Arsenal costs around 3k nuyen, but also has an availability rating of 12. I'm not sure from the RAW if that just comes into play when buying on the black market; seems like Sam should be able to take Con into a posh downtown store and "Pretty Woman" him pretty easily, buying the stuff retail.
[/OOC][/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (09:52:40/09-16-16)
After thinking about it for a bit, he sent a note to Con. Hey--if you need something to help with the dress code, let me know. Consider it payment for the dancing lessons.

<[Recipient: Torley | Text]: Thanks, but I got it covered. Consider the lessons my way of repaying you for that ballsy move you pulled heading to the Needle.>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (14:27:16/09-17-16)
After recovering and showering, Snow and the client eat a leisurely room-service breakfast before heading to the pool.  The man has some business to conduct by pad and comlink and Snow makes good arm candy for him in her two-piece bathing suit.  The pool is covered in some sort of transparent material that lets light in but keeps the toxic rain from disturbing any of the valued residents of the hotel.  Snow is an attractive woman and several of the guests sharing the pool area notice her, but she is very careful to let everyone know just who she is with.  She swims in the pool and relaxes in the hot tub but comes over to her client several times to sit near him and touch him in ways that he cannot miss that she is interested in him.  Twice, she leaves the lounge chair to get him a drink, feeling his eyes on her as she walks away.  Snow was trained by some very good instructors in the art of seduction and sex and she can move with a sensuous grace when she wants to...............and right now she wants to.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (01:05:47/09-18-16)


<[Recipient: Sarah Barefoot | Text]: I've got a meeting for a job tonight, so that shrimp scampi is gonna have to wait. Anything I can do to further my training while I'm away?>

Oh poo, I was looking forward to some nice pasta.  What training?  Oh, you mean your initiation?  Silly man, that was done the night we met, I have just enjoying a nice meal and target practice since then.  Good luck, hope you get the job!



The elven woman seems somewhat amused at O'Conner's boldness, and seems to take a moment and make a decision. 

"I can help you with your situation, but nuyen will suffice as payment, in advance."  A request of 6000 is addressed to the runner's commlink."

There is an air of challenge on her face, the unspoken message this time?  "Put up or crawl out, lowlife."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (01:29:14/09-18-16)
O'Connor sent the money with an amused smirk on his face, *Suck of that, you haughty dandelion eater.* Spite, both towards the woman and his team, was the only reason he was going through with this. A large part of him was screaming at the fact that the tailoring had tripled the price, and now cost as much as Ulrich was charging for that machine gun. He headed deeper into the store to pick out shoes and a pair of leather gloves. While picking them out, he got Sarah's reply. He bristled with indignation, *That conniving bitch! I don't know if I should kill her or fuck her!*

<[Recipient: Sarah Barefoot | Text]: Seriously?! See if you ever get a meal out of me again!>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:29:43/09-18-16)
Two hours into the morning, the client folds up his pad and secures it in a safe available to guests before joining Snow to relax in the hot tub for a bit before lunch.  Snow notices when an attractive young couple enters the large room containing the swimming pool and hot tub.  The man is athletic and bronzed and carries himself with the confidence that screams out AAA Corporation.  The woman with him is tall and leggy and when she removes her robe to enter the pool, Snow sees that nature and or a very good surgeon have been kind to her, providing her with a figure that many trivid starlets would be envious of.  After a few laps, the young couple leaves the pool and comes over to the hot tub and the man asks if it would be intrusive to share the large bubbling spa. 

Snow remains cuddled up against her client and listens as the new arrivals talk among themselves.  They are apparently husband and wife and in Seattle from New York on business for the corporation the man works for.  She seems put out that he is going to be away for the afternoon but is mollified when he tells her to go shopping.  Snow's client has a hard time keeping his eyes off the other woman and Snow recognizes lust when she sees it.  Far from being hurt, she is amused as an interesting method comes to mind that might even make her worth more to her client.  When the young couple excuse themselves to back into the larger pool, Snow leans over and whispers into the ear of the man with her.  "You seem quite interested in her.  I confess that she is attractive to me as well.  Do you want her?"

The man turns his face to Snow and she sees a definite desire in his eyes as he nods, obviously excited by the thought of bedding the young wife and even perhaps a bit by the thought of the two women together.  She continues by saying, "I might be able to make that happen.  Can you allow me to offer her some nuyen as an incentive?"  Again the nod.  Snow smiles seductively.  "Let me talk to her"  She stands and shakes a bit to remove some of the water off her, a motion that is clearly more for the effect it has on her client to see her move like that.  She then walks over to the pool, diving in and swimming over to join the other couple.  After a few minutes of talking and swimming together, the husband makes his excuses and leaves the pool, drying off and kissing his wife goodbye before leaving the pool area entirely.  Snow and the woman, Valery, talk for a bit and Valery looks over to where Snow's client is still relaxing in the hot tub.  After some back and forth negotiations, Valery nods her head then smiles before climbing out of the pool and following her husband.

Snow swims to the edge of the pool and climbs out to return to the spa, where she glides over to her client.  "We are in luck.  It seems that she likes to shop and her allowance is a bit small for her tastes.  She will be at the room in twenty minutes and it will cost you less than you were willing to pay.  Shall we?"

They leave the pool area after collecting the man's pad from the safe, returning to the penthouse.  Sure enough, Valery is at the door precisely when she had said she would be and the next two hours are amazing as Snow's client is pleased beyond his expectations.  He is particularly aroused when Snow and Valery see to each other while he recovers.  All in all, it is an enjoyable time, but Valery eventually needs to return to her room to be ready to greet her husband when he returns and Snow and her client have to begin getting ready for the business dinner.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (04:36:28/09-18-16)
Sammy made sure she arrived a bit early.  She had send the code to the rest of the team but she wasn't sure if it would work with them, so she wanted to be there early and go in as a group.  She was wearing an elegant business suit in dark blue, but with some green accents, like at the collar.  It wasn't the latest in fashion, but a suit like that was classy enough to stay something you could wear for more than one season.  Her Zoé handbag nicely went with the colour and in it she could carry her taser.  She always brought that, as she didn't want to rely solely on magic to defend herself.  Now she only had to wait for the rest of the group and then they could see what the Johnson wanted.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:15:12/09-18-16)
O'Conner was quite surprised when the clerk, now all genuine smiles, takes the shoes and gloves from his hands.

"Something in gray I think, to better match the suit.  Gunmetal seems to suit you."

A man appears with a device which he quickly scans the runner with, then he starts reading off measurements, seemingly to no one until he finishes, then O'Conner notices a curtain move and hears someone in the back out of sight.  The man moves to a wall and begins looking through longcoats.  By this time the elf is back, with a much nicer set of gloves and shoes, along with some other accessories.  Out of the back a pretty young dwarf comes with several garments on hangers.

The next few hours are a bit of a blur, the three manage to effectively triple team him, not only getting him properly dressed, but groomed as well.  The assistants proving to be capable barbers, facialists and manicurists while the actual sewing was being done.

When he walks out, he is not only wearing the suit, but a few tasteful and masculine pieces of jewelry that he suspects would feed a large ork family in the Barrens for a month.  Miss Sophia (the elf) hands him two garment bags. "There is an extra shirt in there, white, with a jacket for when you would prefer to stand out.  My card in there as well Mr Danvers, feel free to contact me the next time you need anything.  You would be amazed at what my team could do with a little notice."  The second bag must have his old clothes, their unremarked contents and somewhat cheaper covering clearly identifying them.

-------------

The club looks unassuming from the outside, but you realize that you’re being scrutinized the moment you step up to the door.  Inside, they request you check your guns and other weapons, then a gorgeous hostess in a skin-tight cocktail dress leads you into the club proper. It’s quiet, and the aroma of cigar smoke, expensive rum, and money drifts through the air. In private rooms, you catch glimpses of a few famous faces—Mafia dons rubbing elbows with trid stars and high-ranking corporate officials. The hostess leads you down a couple of wood-paneled corridors to a small room and asks if she can bring you any refreshments.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (00:01:10/09-19-16)
O'Connor took stock of his appearance in one of the shops many mirrors. The long coat and suit were black with a few grey accents. He took Sophia's advice and went with gunmetal shoes and gloves. The tailoring accentuated his lithe build without making him seem scrawny. When the subject of jewelry had come up, he'd been worried that they'd try to force gaudy baubles onto him. Luckily that wasn't the case, and he actually quit liked the onyx studs, and the silver and white gold rings. All in all O'Connor looked like a new man.

That evening O'Connor parked a few blocks away from the club. His shitty little Honda would break the illusion that the suit presented. He arrived about ten minutes before the meet. As he approached, he saw that Sammy was the only one that had arrived ahead of him. He approached her, wondering how she'd react to his new duds, "Evening, Starlet. This is the second job you've lined up for us. Ever thought about becoming a fixer?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:42:14/09-19-16)
"Actually it was me and Sam," Sammy admitted, "but he and technology have a relationship which works best if they keep a wary distance from each other, so I send it on.  Nice suit, by the way.  The colour combination suits you.  I mostly go with Zoé, but I might have to check out the Vashion store if they are that good at matching a suit and colour to people.  I wonder how you would look like in their 'Ace of Spades' bomber jacket?"
She was impressed with O'Connor, as she had had some reservations about how he would show up here.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (04:47:03/09-19-16)
*The suit's black and grey. Isn't that the default color for men?* O'Connor brushed the thought aside, Starlet knew far more about fashion that he ever would. She probably saw something he didn't. Speaking of fashion, "Answer something for me. The frag is wrong with you high society types? Every other store I came across was peddling this god awful Gagastic drek. I don't know if you could even call it clothing. It was like if you gave a ten year old a whole arts-and-crafts store and told them to go hog wild."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (05:29:59/09-19-16)
"I must admit you got me there," Sammy said, "that's one fashion trend I've never understood.  Which is why I normally go for Zoé.  Those pieces are classic, like your suit.  Things you can still wear after a couple of years.  Those Gagaistic dresses are party dresses: things for at parties, but not for business meetings.  I also don't think you'll see many of those in this club."

She felt lucky he hadn't decided to make a statement and go for one of those.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (07:04:34/09-19-16)
Preoccupied by her own tardiness, Clem hadn't noticed O'Connor's new clothes. She almost mistook him for some upper-class commoner Sammy was making conversation with, but quickly recognized the voice. She surprised herself thinking the man could look decent, and reluctantly admitted that she could envision a universe in which she might have some physical attraction to him, but instantly swore to herself never to let anyone know about this.

The ork nodded at the group and simply exclaimed "This is a change of scenery!" as she looked at the physical adept. Turning back to the rest of the group, she asked Sammy "Is there anything we should know about this Johnson before we walk in?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (08:08:39/09-19-16)
"I don't know much either," Sammy had to admit, "but the message came through a trusted channel.  And I assume she's awakened, although I'm not sure how exactly."
Due to the secretive nature of the Club, she was a bit reluctant to explain just how they knew the Johnson.  In fact, they might even have met before when Sammy was at the Club, although she wasn't sure about that.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (16:19:24/09-19-16)
Sam was a little surprised when he got to the club to find that he was the last one there. Smiling at the hostess, he asked for a martini, then joined the group, waiting for their Johnson to reveal herself.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (17:20:02/09-19-16)
As soon as everybody was there, Sammy brought them inside.  In the hall, she checked in her taser as requested.  It was just a more visible defense weapon, as her best defense was her magic, but she wouldn't be using any here as she was sure this club had excellent magical security.  When asked for drinks she asked for Perrier as she wanted to keep her head clear.  Maybe afterwards she could indulge, but business first.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (20:09:33/09-19-16)
O'Connor checked his weapons in at the front. He'd made sure the tailor left a few inches in the sleeves of the long coat so that he could still use his hidden arm slides. With a bit of dramatic flare O'Connor extended his arms down to his sides as he activated the slides and dropped Lightning of the Storm into either hand. He flipped the guns around and handed them over butt first. He toyed with the idea of trying to sneak his holdout, Peashooter, in, but figured that a swanky place like this had multiple MAD scanners all over the place and turning it over as well. Finally he pulled out the knife he had sheathed on his hip. The look on the host's face was priceless. For a laugh, O'Connor made a show of patty himself down pretending to make sure he hadn't forgotten any other weapons. Once they were ensconced in their meeting room, O'Connor ordered a whiskey on the rocks.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:10:28/09-19-16)
     The room is set up like an old-fashioned parlor out of a period trid. Two small couches and a variety of comfortable chairs are set up in the room, along with a real wooden dining table, set with a white linen tablecloth and crystal glasses. A real fire in a hearth warms the room, and the flickering firelight sparkles off the crystal on the table. Sitting casually in one chair is a brown-haired human woman with fair skin and blue eyes. She’s wearing a pale-blue tailored suit and some unusual jewelry, including a large dragon-shaped ring. She’s sipping a glass of wine when you enter, but she smiles and stands when the hostess closes the door behind you.

     When she stands to greet you, you realize she’s much taller than a normal human woman, and her slender figure clues you in; she’s an elf. She’s attractive, but not in the same class as that hot hostess outside—until she smiles at you. Her smile lights up her face, transforming her from simply attractive to suddenly stunning.

     “Hello,” she says, greeting you all. “I’m Ms. Johnson. Thanks for meeting on such short notice. Please, sit down.” She waits for everyone to sit and introduce themselves.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (00:13:50/09-20-16)
Clem steps into the room, noticing their host as she stands up and introduces herself. *Another high-class elf* thinks the ork as she bows to the slender woman and introduces herself simply as "Clem." She then takes a seat on one of the couches, and waits for her companions to make the proper introductions.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:11:38/09-20-16)
At 1700, Snow is putting the last bit of the minimal amount of make up on and spares a thought or several for the rest of the Heaven's Devils, wishing them a silent good luck.  She feels the hand of her client as it caresses her bare back.  "You seem a bit far away, my dear.  Something troubling you?" 

Snow puts her most brilliant smile on her face and turns to look at the man she is entertaining.  "Not in the least.  Now, that is a very nice tuxedo.  Very nice indeed.  I hope that I am up to the standard you are setting." 

The look he gives her tells her in no uncertain terms that she is very much up to the standard.  She smiles and gives thanks to the part of her that kept the fancy gown, even if it a year out of style.  She looks great in it, but she likes to see that her client thinks so as well..  The hotel com system pings with a message that the car is ready and she glides gracefully over to it and thanks the concierge, letting him know that they would be down.  She is listed on the hotel books as the Personal Assistant to her client, and although no one really believes that, they turn a blind eye.  But she knows the drill and fills the role of PA perfectly.  She walks over to the man and straightens his bow tie a bit before flicking a bit of lint from one sleeve.  He holds out his arm and she slips hers onto his as they leave the room and head to the private elevator that will transport them in silent comfort to the lobby and the waiting limousine.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (01:28:37/09-20-16)
As O'Connor entered the room, he saw the roaring hearth. There was a hitch in his step as he fought the urge to backpedal away from the flames. The smell of searing flesh and melting kevlar filled his nostrils. He swallowed hard and forced his eyes away from the fireplace to the woman that greeted them. O'Connor nodded to the Johnson, "Bullet Storm." While far easier on the eyes, and seemingly had a better attitude, than all the other Johnsons he'd meet, this did not put O'Connor at ease. If anything, it made him more wary. She wasn't acting like a run of the mill Johnson, so she probably wasn't one. On top of that, she was obviously high class and an elf to boot. Those descriptors together made him think of the Tir. Though it'd been several months since they'd pulled the job that brought them together, O'Connor didn't think for a moment they were out of the woods when it came to blowback. He gave Clem a pointed look to put her on alert.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (03:32:30/09-20-16)
"I'm Sammy," she introduced herself, taking a seat.  The decor looked quite nice and this club had the advantage of being quite discreet.  For now she would await the J's offer.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (12:21:42/09-20-16)
     The room is set up like an old-fashioned parlor out of a period trid. Two small couches and a variety of comfortable chairs are set up in the room, along with a real wooden dining table, set with a white linen tablecloth and crystal glasses. A real fire in a hearth warms the room, and the flickering firelight sparkles off the crystal on the table. Sitting casually in one chair is a brown-haired human woman with fair skin and blue eyes. She’s wearing a pale-blue tailored suit and some unusual jewelry, including a large dragon-shaped ring. She’s sipping a glass of wine when you enter, but she smiles and stands when the hostess closes the door behind you.

     When she stands to greet you, you realize she’s much taller than a normal human woman, and her slender figure clues you in; she’s an elf. She’s attractive, but not in the same class as that hot hostess outside—until she smiles at you. Her smile lights up her face, transforming her from simply attractive to suddenly stunning.

     “Hello,” she says, greeting you all. “I’m Ms. Johnson. Thanks for meeting on such short notice. Please, sit down.” She waits for everyone to sit and introduce themselves.

Sam followed the group into the room, taking in the decor, but paying special attention to the elf's body language. With a slight bow, he greeted her. "Ms. Johnson, a pleasure. My name is Torley, though I suspect you knew that already." He smiled at her, and took a seat near the fireplace.

[spoiler]OOC: Dunno if it would make any difference, but the intent is that Sam is positioning himself so that the light from the fire doesn't backlight Ms. Johnson, which would make her potentially harder to read.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:41:02/09-20-16)
Clem immediately notes that Con is off.  When he enters the room he notes the fireplace, then moves right from the door away from it.  This is notable because the ork had moved right upon entry, and this was the first time the two had ever entered a room together and not moved in separate directions to keep from crossing potential fields of fire.  She was so shocked at his action she almost commented, but then she saw him do something else odd.  When he moved, instinctively, to the closest chair to the Johnson, after little more than a step he changed course to her other side, a tactical mistake for many reasons, but it was furthest from the fireplace.

Torley also noted the behavior, but simply read the unfamiliar fear in his actions, having a magical sense of such things and no tactical wherewith-all to judge anything else.  Mastering his surprise as a matter of course, the thought about his teammate were quickly driven out by the perceptions coming about their potential employer.

There was nothing artificial about her smile, but the was definitely something about her that nagged at the edge of his mind, but the plain bit that he read were the mistakes his team had already made as they sat down.

1) She clearly wanted more from them than merely names, she wanted to assess their capabilities, including their ability to EXPLAIN their capabilities.

2) She clearly knew they were missing someone, and that was a problem for her.

He already knew the final error, but his abilities kept him from registering the self-criticism as she gave voice to it, with no hint to the unaware that there was anything amiss.

"No, why would I?  What connection would we have beyond the job at hand Mister Torley?"

Their connection through the Club was A SECRET, bound in magic.  Clever asides and half unspoken truths would not keep that bond from severing itself from him, from her, and from Sammy.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (07:46:19/09-21-16)
O'Connor wanted to sit near the Johnson and the wine classes. In a pinch he could shatter one and use the stem as a shiv. Unfortunately his body forced him to take the seat farthest away from the hearth. By default he was a rather fidgety person when forced to stay in one spot, but at this instance his body language screamed that he was tense and wanted to leave. He tried to give the elf woman his undivided attention, but any time the fire gave a notable pop or crackle he'd wince and look towards the hearth. He'd just as quickly look away back towards the Johnson.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (10:59:24/09-21-16)
Clem quizzically frowned at O'Connor about his strange fidgeting and positioning. The ork looked at the hearth and couldn't find anything odd or otherwise out of place about it. She wondered if the adept had seen something she had missed, something that clearly upset the man, to the point of almost terror.

And then the Johnson made a very strange comment, that got Clem's alarms ringing. *Now why would she go out of her way and make a point of telling us there is absolutely NO connection between them*? She decided to definitely ask him later, when privacy would allow for such a conversation.

All in all, this was a surreal start to a professional meeting...
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (16:24:09/09-21-16)
Sam smiled. "Ma'am, the job at hand is our connection. In our line of work, it is very rare for someone to contact us without having done some research into who we are and what we're capable of. You hardly strike me as the sort to make such a careless mistake; if you were, I assure you that this meeting would be over already." He sat back and sipped from his martini, very much at ease, and clearly not willing to reveal more until the Johnson did.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (23:50:06/09-21-16)
"Well, I am familiar enough with your group that I know there are supposed to be five of you, beyond that I was simply assured by the fixer who set this up that I would be sent a balanced  team capable of handling the mission I have to see done."  She also seemed at ease to any of the others in the room, Torley still registered her grievance with the introduction, as well as the voiced concern of over Snow's absence.  The secrecy was at least put to bed but there was a hint of amusement at his attempt to assert control of the situation, which she then proceeded to crush.

"As a runner myself, I am very experienced with these types of meetings.  Enough so that I can recognize a young-to-the-shadows Face doing his level best to cover his team's mistakes and his own inexperience with one of the three B's."  Taking the others back into the meeting as an aside, "That would be balls, bravado and bulldrek kids."  It wasn't intended as a rebuke for them, they knew, simply information being passed, with a little theater.

Turning back Torley, "Now, here is how things actually happen in 'our line of work.'  A group of talented and capable amateurs like yourselves who are petitioning for a job that has a large payday would make it CLEAR to the person offering that payday of what they can do to earn it.  Then this generous benefactor determines the value of the skill set and offers as little as they think they can get away with.  Negotiations ensue."

"What doesn't happen is that this wonderful person, let's call her Ms Johnson, puts up with more than a certain level of foolishness before she takes her bankroll elsewhere.  Now, clearly Mr Torley is your social lubricant, possibly covering for some rather uncouth teammates.  What is the form by which the rest of you have decided to let your own personal little Gozers manifest?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (03:05:45/09-22-16)
*Of all the luck...* thought Clem. If there was one thing she hated more than smug Johnsons, it was smug elven Johnsons. The ork, however, knew better than to let that get under her skin and decided to simply reply sarcastically "Besides looking good in my armour, I do muscle, Bullet Storm (saying the name out loud made Clem pause for a moment and realize something) here does the shooting, Torley talks and Starlet takes care of things we commoners can't deal with. And we also have a fifth Heaven's Devil that takes care of things on the trix. Now it's up to you and Torley to hash out what this package is worth to you, as you are the only one that knows your needs at this point."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (06:32:46/09-22-16)
Sammy was used to these kind of meetings, although mostly between producers, directors and actors (or their agents).  She kept an eye on O'Connor, hoping he wouldn't say too much.
"You are right that we number five," she said to the J, "but our matrix specialist had another meeting with a supplier for some new equipment if I recall correctly, or maybe software.  In any case, since that meeting was already set up when this meeting came in, we decided that she would continue with hers and we would do this one, as we might need the equipment for the job and setting up a new meeting with the supplier could be difficult, depending on the timelines for the job you want us to do.  Now, as to me, I'm as you might have guessed, a mage.  Mostly illusions, some healing, stunbolt, things like that."

She also switched her view to the astral for a few seconds to have a look a the Johnson.  While Sammy knew that she was awakened, maybe she could see a bit more.

[spoiler]
quick look at the Ms. Johnson in the astral
intuition 3 + assensing 3 =6 (http://orokos.com/roll/438756): 6d6t5 2
probably not much more.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (07:23:26/09-22-16)
O'Connor elaborated on Clem's statement, "Clem is our tactical leader in combat. Snow, our hacker, also has medical training. While I act as firepower for the team, my real specialty is keeping the enemy's attention on me and off the rest of the team."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:50:27/09-22-16)
Turning back Torley, "Now, here is how things actually happen in 'our line of work.'  A group of talented and capable amateurs like yourselves who are petitioning for a job that has a large payday would make it CLEAR to the person offering that payday of what they can do to earn it.  Then this generous benefactor determines the value of the skill set and offers as little as they think they can get away with.  Negotiations ensue."

How things "actually" happen? You sought us out, and you expect us to come, hat in hand, begging for you to toss us scraps? Sam had interacted with enough high-society types that he recognized the arrogant, "the world owes me everything because I'm me" attitude, but he didn't like it, and wasn't impressed that the Johnson was using it. If this job had come through any other channel, I would tell this lady to take the job and shove it in the same dark hole her head is in, he thought to himself. He was actually surprised that Con didn't.

After the others had given their slightly longer introductions, Sam gestured with his drink and said, "So now you know the roles each of us play. Of course, that doesn't tell you much; most teams have similar compositions, and the only difference being their levels of competency. We could assure you that we are more than capable, but you would not believe us; every group hoping to get a job would claim to be among the best, regardless of the truth. We do not, as a rule, provide references. You must decide whether your fixer's recommendation of us is sufficient testimony to our abilities," ...just as we must decide if your nuyen is worth putting up with your drek, he added silently, the easy smile never leaving his face.

Then his eyes hardened. "We are not the desperate, hand-to-mouth amateurs you describe. If that is the sort of team that you wish to work with, I'm afraid you must look elsewhere. We are not petitioning for a job, as you so delicately put it. We were told that you had an opportunity for us, and so we came to hear what you are offering. Negotiations will only ensue if we feel that we are capable of delivering on your request, and that what you are offering as compensation is close to reasonable. If you try to low-ball us, we have no reason not to walk back through that door and keep going."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:17:29/09-23-16)
Snow's client must be a bit concerned about the meeting because his hand never really goes higher on her leg than the knee while they are in the limo, and he seems preoccupied with something or other.  She is wise enough to let him be.  The car arrives at the restaurant and she waits for the valet to open the door and assist her out as her client is helped out the door on the other side of the fancy car.  He comes around to where she is standing and offers an arm, which she takes, before heading into the building.  A man outside the door welcomes them and ushers them inside to the coat check room, where Snow checks her shawl but keeps her small clutch.  Her gorgeous gown is off the shoulder, but the upper arms are covered, concealing the Vory ink on them.  She gives her date a brilliant smile and walks with him to the grand stairway that leads to the second floor ballroom where the dinner is being held.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (16:15:35/09-25-16)
“Chummer, I realize that you have a chip on your shoulder, you would be a piss poor runner if you didn’t, but you are really going to have to get that stick out of your hoop if we are going to business.  I need some traveling companions, and you wouldn’t be sitting here if I didn’t have confidence in the fixer, but if you take the job, we are going to be around each other a lot so I have an interest finding people I can stand to be in the same room with for more than five minutes.”  She looks around the group of you again, “You seem like some people I can work, but this missing hacker is definitely a concern.  If you take the job I am going to need to see her pronto, actually you all will if she is your medic, since you will need immunizations.” She glances at Torley, “The clock is still running on you, Stick.”

“I’ve been hired by a private antiquities collector, who recently lost an item from his collection. His only clue is this man, who has apparently been hired by a rival collector to find the item first. He’s an elf who goes by the name of Samriel Lockwood. One or both of those names are likely to be false.”

“We’ve been tracking him, but it now appears he’s gone to Lagos. We need to locate him quickly and trail him to the item. Now, normally, I work alone, but Lagos … well, it’s not exactly a safe city for a single woman. If you’re amenable, I’d like to hire you to accompany me as security, and also help out in my investigation.”

“As you can imagine, the trail grows colder with every hour, so I need to leave as soon as possible, that would be why this issue with your teammate is a concern.”

“I’m willing to pay 2,000 nuyen per person, per day, plus a per diem of 250 nuyen with a guaranteed minimum of five days paid upfront. I’ll also cover lodging in Lagos, plus the cost of travel to and from Nigeria. If we find the lost item, and you assist me in recovering it, I’ll also split the ‘finder’s fee’ with you—which would be 50,000 nuyen for your team.”
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:35:04/09-26-16)
A man in a very nice tux and a woman wearing a latest-style formal gown are waiting near the top of the stairs.  The man checks both Snow and her client against a list he is carrying then taps his right ear and speaks softly into the air before nodding to his associate. The woman smiles at her charges and asks them to follow her to the dining room, turning on high heels and walking down the hall.  Snow's and her escort follow the woman to a large dining room, filled with other early arrivals.  Their guide shows them to their assigned seats at one of the tables and motions to where the open bar is located.  Snow's client takes her to the bar, requesting a rum and coke for himself and a vodka martini for her.  Returning to their table, they stand, watching the room as it fills and greeting the others who are brought to sit with them.  In Snow's professional opinion, many of the woman here are filling the roll of escort, just as she is.  She even recognizes several, but none give any indication they know each other.  That sort of thing is just not done in this circle.  The women that are likely to be wives are universally older than the call girls present.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (01:22:47/09-26-16)
Nigeria? So much for asking if Lyra can come along, Sam thought to himself. However, he was happy that Queen Frosty was willing to move past demanding a boot-licking and start actually giving details on the mission. A moment's glance was all he needed to read each of his teammates' interest and willingness levels before he responded to the elf. "If that's your concern, you needn't worry about Snow--her medical skills are primarily field care, rather than holding office hours and such. We can obtain the necessary immunizations and be on our way; she will be able to follow us within a day or two, if you're don't mind her travelling separately." He knew he'd have to pay Dr. Halfmoon extra for the rush, but he was confident she'd be able to hook the team up.

He took another sip of his martini before continuing, "However, I'm confident you appreciate the fact that each of us have obligations which will have to be postponed, meetings which have been scheduled and which will have to be cancelled, and so on. Such an abrupt departure will be disruptive." He knew Queen Frosty expected him to dicker, and would be prepared for most of hist lines, so he cut to the chase. "5,000 expedition fee up front, 3,000 per day, plus the per diem. Each." He hoped that her desire to move quickly would work well in his favor.

[spoiler]
Negotiation: Skill[4] + CHA[6] + Improved Ability[2] + Kinesics[3] (http://orokos.com/roll/439608): 15d6t5 4

...well, that sucked. No glitch, but I could've done about as well buying hits. Sigh. Though if she's really worried about time, that should either give Sam more dice or take some away from her pool...
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (02:50:11/09-26-16)
*I like what she is saying so far* thought Clem as she was listening to the Johnson, and it seemed Torley had picked up what the ork's intentions were without her wilfully communicating them. Even Clementine knew she wasn't skilled at negotiations, but she knew the timeline proposed and the fact their potential employer was short on time all worked in the Heaven's Devils' favour.

Clem nonetheless found herself thinking *Who is this fixer she's talking about, that may or may not know Torley and Starlet?*
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:51:19/09-26-16)
Sammy's mind was going at full speed.  Lagos of all places.  While she didn't know much about the city, all the rumours she had heard indicated it was a place to avoid.  And while she had grown up in a place to avoid, there were levels of avoidance.  And how was she going to tell Marcus.  Their relationship was just starting to thaw out a bit, and now she would be gone for quite some time again.

For now she would keep quiet, letting Sam do his tricks.  She did make a mental note to get an extra respirator if they were going to take this job.  In fact, try to get two of every important item she could bring twice, just in case.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (03:56:36/09-26-16)
O'Connor didn't bother to supress the wolfish grin that spread across his face despite the discomfort the hearth brought him. If even half the stories about Africa where true, then it was the perfect place for him to go. Supposedly it was a continent spanning Barrens that made Redmond look like Bellevue. It'd be the perfect place for him to get back to basics and gain some perspective.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (00:41:50/09-27-16)
"Yeah, no, I don't think this is going to work out for you Stick, you are brave enough, asking for something like that, but you are way behind the curve at this point.  First off, you couldn't get your friend to Lagos in a day or two if you had started trying last week, and I am not using anyone that I don't see face to face on this side of the ocean.  If you are taking the job you need to get her here right away and the lot of you need to get prepped."

"I am not even going to discuss how bad it is to ask for premium pay and then call yourself a part-timer, but let's just assume that didn't happen.  I am not in so much of a hurry that I can't get another team if I need to, so if a 20K + payday and the right to put Treasure Hunter on your resume isn't good enough for you, I guess I need to make some phone calls.  Enjoy your drinks, I will send the girl to get you folks a meal for the trouble, I hear they make a nice scallop here." She gets up and offers the face her hand.

She is perfectly clam and friendly as she closes negotiations. 

(Astrally she is a mundane, healthy and calm)
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (03:13:04/09-27-16)
"I have a few questions if you don't mind," Sammy interjected, "and a remark.  For starters, if you say that you are not in a hurry, at least not so that you can't get another team, why do we have to rush so much?  From what I heard before it sounded like we would leave tonight, tomorrow at the latest?  Also, if you want to see our hacker's face, just give me a second."

She quickly searched on her commlink for a picture of Snow she had taken somewhere in LA, and showed it to the Johnson.  She found it a bit strange as meets with one member absent, while maybe not the norm, were not unheard of.
"There you are.  And lastly, if you want to see her in person, we will have to contact her and she had to come here, all of which will take some time.  I have no idea where she is right now, but I don't think it's right next door."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (08:35:01/09-27-16)
"I have to meet her, I have to decide if I can go into one of the most dangerous places on earth with her as protection, and then you all need to get ready to leave."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (09:51:01/09-27-16)
"Alright, we understand your conditions. If you can give us a few moments, we need to reach our team member and find out exactly when she can get here" said Clem to the Johnson, giving her a polite smile, inviting her to either leave them to themselves for a while or guide the group to somewhere they could talk.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (18:23:52/09-27-16)
O'Connor seized the opportunity to leave the room and stood quickly, "I'll call her and let her know she needs to get down here." He then all but bolted from the room, and made his way outside. <[Recipient: Snow | Commcall]: "Snow, you need to get your fine hoop down here pronto. The Jay wants a face-to-face with everyone, and she is pissed you aren't here. Hurry, Torley's about ready to call the whole thing off.">
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:54:28/09-27-16)
Johnson is somewhat startled by Con's quick departure.  "Is he ok?"

"I don't know what you guys really need to discuss, I would have jumped at a chance for a job like this when I was new to the game.  We have all got to be comfortable in this scenario, so what are your concerns?  Is it me giving Stick so much grief?  You have to admit, it's kind of fun to poke at him.  Despite what I said before, you have to know the offer is pretty good.  If I wanted a bunch of meatshields, I could get as many as I wanted for a third of the price without splitting the finder's fee, so it can't be the money."

Looking at Sammy, "I am on a timetable, so if I have to find another group I will have to move quickly, I want your group, but I have a job to do and I mean to get it done."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (22:37:45/09-27-16)
"To borrow an expression from our last employer, said Clem, "this isn't our first rodeo. We work as a team, and we speak as a team. I'm sure you can understand that. Now we will just step our for a short while and see what we can do on our end to accommodate your conditions."

With that, Clementine stood up and motioned for the rest of the team to follow her out of the room. Once outside she says to O'Connor "Can you reach Snow?" After a slight pause, she turns back to the human, asking "And what the drek is wrong with you?!? Do you need a fix?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:08:37/09-28-16)
Snow is in the middle of the first course of the meal when the message comes in from Con.  She is surprised at the content and a bit disturbed.  Between bites, she fashions a response and sends it off.  >>Con, Snow.  That is not convenient just now.  How important is it that I be there?  If it is critical, I will try to think of something, but I cannot really risk pissing on my bosses shoes.  Let me think.  I will be back to you.<<

She wriggles inside to the looming dilemma, trying to work out a solution.  The really hard truth is that this job for the J is just a job and there are others out there and she has Obligations, with a capital O, that she cannot just ignore.  She moves a hand under the table and places it on the thigh of her companion, rubbing it gently.  This certainly gets his attention and he shifts a bit in his chair to give her a better reach.  Snow can read her man better by now and senses when he is nearing the point of no return and lets off from her hand movements long enough for him to recover before touching him again.  The expression on his face is priceless as he tries hard to keep still and refrain from calling out.  Snow decides to have mercy on the man and removes her hand form his thigh, thus removing the immediate need to find a private room.  At that moment, a waiter moves forward to present a paper note to Snow's client from a silver platter.  Several others around the room get the message as well.  Snow watches as the man reads the note and blanches.  Almost as one, the men who received the notes turn to their companions and say something. 

Snow's client looks genuinely unhappy as he says, "I am sorry my dear.  I have to go to another meeting.  A conference call is being set up in another room here.  I do not know how long this will last, but a good couple of hours is likely, so I think it best that you return to the hotel.  I am sorry to ruin the dinner, but I have no choice.  I hope that you understand."

With that, he and several other men rise from where they are seated and make their way from the room.  Snow looks quite disappointed and frowns as if she is displeased about being abandoned.  As she makes her way to the cloak room to fetch her shawl, she sends a second message out.  >>Con.  Snow.  I have worked things out, sort of.  In any case I have probably a couple of hours to meet the J and talk to her.  Not sure how long I can stay but I am on the way to you now.  Will you be waiting outside for me?<<

Snow collects her shawl and has a taxi brought around for her and gives the address of the club the team is at.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:31:03/09-28-16)
>>Con, Snow.  That is not convenient just now.  How important is it that I be there?  If it is critical, I will try to think of something, but I cannot really risk pissing on my bosses shoes.  Let me think.  I will be back to you.<<

>>Con.  Snow.  I have worked things out, sort of.  In any case I have probably a couple of hours to meet the J and talk to her.  Not sure how long I can stay but I am on the way to you now.  Will you be waiting outside for me?<<

With that, Clementine stood up and motioned for the rest of the team to follow her out of the room. Once outside she says to O'Connor "Can you reach Snow?" After a slight pause, she turns back to the human, asking "And what the drek is wrong with you?!? Do you need a fix?"

<[Recipient: Snow | Commcall]: "It's super important. If you don't show, the Jay will find another team. We're looking at twenty grand a head here. Yeah, I'll meet you out front to make sure you can get it hassle free."> O'Connor turned to Clem, "She's on her way now." When she asked her second question an offended look crossed O'Connor's face, "Do you really think so little of me that you believe I'd risk a job by showing up to the meet jonesing, or high for that matter? If that's the case, maybe we should think about splitting ways after this run. I doubt you want to work with people you think are unreliable, and I won't work with people that question my commitment to the team. Loyalty is one of the only things I value." He wouldn't admit that he was off tonight, especially to himself. He turned away from Clem, "I'm gonna wait here for Snow. Go tell the Jay she's on her way."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (03:17:35/09-28-16)
Snow sees Con waiting for her as the taxi pulls up to the curb.  She pays the fare and adds a tip before opening the door and sliding out in her evening gown.  She smiles at Con and turns around.  "You think I can get in?  I guess we had better go find our J.  Before we go in, though, can you give me any information on what I am walking into?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (04:22:46/09-28-16)
"Just a moment," Sammy said to the Johnson, following Clem outside.  There it quickly became clear that Snow would show up.
"That's one problem solved," she said to the rest of the group, "now, about the job.  I'm a bit reluctant, but that's due to private reasons.  If the group decides to take this job, I'll follow you and do my utmost to have things resolved as quickly as possible.  One thing we have to check with Ms. Johnson, is what she will take in the way of supplies.  Everything I've heard about Lagos is that it's a shit hole without even basic sanitation, so things like water purification tablets, good antibiotics and stuff like that I would like to take from here.  If needed, we will need a quick shopping trip to provide those."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (06:21:20/09-28-16)
"Alright, calm down" answered Clem to O'Connor. Invoking the thermonuclear option from the onset of a problem was a signature move for the human, so Clementine knew not to take it too seriously. Nevertheless, she was concerned for her teammate. "I don't know what makes you so fidgety about the Johnson or the room, but pull yourself together, omae. If loyalty is high on your list, then tell me what has you spooked."


Turning to Sammy, Clem said "I don't know anything about Lagos. Where is that place? Can we find ammo easily there, or should we bring all that we need?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (06:37:28/09-28-16)
"I don't know all that much either," Sammy said, "I used to date a guy who was stationed there for a couple of months.  It's in Africa somewhere, give me a second."
She did a quick search on her commlink to come up with a location.
"There it is," she said, "and from what little I know, I don't think ammo will be a huge problem.  Getting drinking water is a bigger issue than getting ammo.  I guess I'll have to try and find the 'purify water' spell somewhere."

She made a mental note to ask James if he had the spell formula, or otherwise the Club might have it.  She could get the formula and then learn it later.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (07:02:41/09-28-16)
"The Johnson is some high class elf. I got paranoid and thought she was Tir at the start. We still don't know what we did on that run, or what enemies we made. Excuse me for getting twitchy when she has home field advantage and we're unarmed." He was deflecting, he knew it, she probably did too. Fear was a weakness to be loathed and shameful about. He was barely even beginning to admit to himself that his newly developed aversion to fire existed at all. To others, it was utterly impossible to do so. He tried to derail Clem's line of questioning, "Speaking of enemies, my war with the Azure Fists has taken a turn. It may place the rest of you in greater danger. We'll talk about it with everyone once this meeting's over."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (07:32:32/09-28-16)
Recognizing O'Connor didn't want to talk about his issues any further, Clem backed down. She did, however, add "Yes, I think one of your friends paid me a visit, but we'll discuss this later. For now, let's just get Snow inside the room." With that, Clem waved at Snow to come closer. "Alright, so here's the situation: this elven Johnson wants us to accompany her to somewhere in Africa to retrieve some artifacts someone else has commissioned her to retrieve. She is running against the clock because there is a rival also looking for the same things, so she needs an answer immediately. Pay is ¥20k + a daily rate, and she's firm on the price. I don't have any issues with the job, Con seems to be on board as well, but Starlet and Torley have their reservations. So you are the swing vote, here. Meet with her and see how she rubs you, pun unintended."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (08:09:58/09-28-16)
"I don't have issues with the job itself," Sammy interjected, "I just rather not leave my brother alone again, as he's too young to be alone and he'll probably turn my apartment into a frat house."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:06:28/09-30-16)
Snow watches as the rest of the Devils exit the club to join her and Con on the street.  She listens to the conversation then gives a start.  "My, Con, you do clean up really well.  Now, that sort of suit will get you some action from some socially elite women.  Very nice, indeed."

She turns to the others and says, "I gather this is important, but it seems that Starlet is a bit iffy on leaving just now.  I am still tangled up until sometime tomorrow, but I may have an out that will not cost me any face with my superiors.  Where exactly are we going and when are we leaving and I suppose I need to get inside to meet the J?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:49:51/09-30-16)
O'Connor led Snow into the club, "We'll be heading to Lagos and it sounds like we're leaving as soon a possible." As they closed in on the room, O'Connor slowed down, "Actually I'm gonna to the bar and grabbing another drink. Anyone else need one?" He turned on his heels and walked away.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:14:23/09-30-16)
Snow enters the club and allows the man at the door to run his hands across her body as he frisks her for weapons.  When he is satisfied, she walks in with Con and watches as he leaves for the bar.  She is a bit surprised at his actions but shrugs and proceeds to the meeting room.  Entering she walks to a respectful distance from the woman and nods.  "Good evening.  My name is Snow.  I am the hacker and medical support for the team.  I understand that you wanted to meet me."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (12:59:45/09-30-16)
The Johnson gets up from where she is sitting and moves to shake Snow's hand.

"I did, and I am truly sorry to pull you away from your negotiations, but..." she took in the overall effect of the other elf and nodded appreciatively, then smiled "...I assume you getting a satisfying arrangement.  Please." She indicated O'Conner's recently vacated chair.

Once seated she spoke again, "I assume you have been briefed,a but just to make sure you understand the offer, it was 2000 nuyen per day with a 250 per diem to provide me with security and resources in the field.  We are tracking down a man named Samriel Lockwood and very important item for my employer and my search has led me to Lagos.  The item is important enough that it will be worth 50k for your team."

"Do you have any questions?"

Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (09:42:15/10-01-16)
"Not for me," Sammy said to O'Connor before following Snow to the Johnson.
"I have two more, if you don't mind," she said, "One, you said you took care of the immunizations we need.  Where will that be?  And two: if we accept, when do we have to leave?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (13:42:52/10-01-16)
Snow takes the offered seat.  She sits quietly and nods her head in agreement when Sammy asks her questions, but is polite enough not to interrupt with questions of her own until those are answered.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (14:52:48/10-01-16)
O'Connor went and sat at the bar. He ordered a whiskey and nursed it heavily to delay having to return to that damnable room. A fireplace, it just had to have a roaring fireplace. Staying away so long probably wouldn't look good to the Johnson, but at the moment he didn't really care. He idly observed the room, taking in the decadence of the people. He spent an obscene amount on his new threads out of spite, but wondered why the people here did.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (19:47:02/10-01-16)
"I said that I had hoped she..." indicating Snow, "...would handle your immunizations, regardless that part is on you.  As for leaving, I want to leave as soon as possible, if could be leaving straight from here that would be great, but obviously we all need to change and get our gear together.  I would love to be in the air by midnight."  looking to the hacker, "...and you?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (20:20:36/10-01-16)
Snow nods.  "I can certainly do the immunizations.  I will check with the medical institutions and find out what is required for the country.  Is there a chance that we will be leaving Lagos for any neighboring countries?  And I have a contact that should be able to provide me with the drugs, but things might be hard at this time of night.  I will try to work miracles, but there could be a delay we cannot avoid.  As for my other job, I do need to go back and put certain things into place to make sure that my obligations are met.  I am sure that a businesswoman such as yourself can understand that.  Do we have a com code for you so we can keep in touch?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (07:24:10/10-02-16)
Having stayed behind, Clem decided to go have a drink with O'Connor. She wanted to ask him a few questions, and if there was only one team member missing from the negotiation room, it would sound suspicious. Having the two grunts stay out made it look as if they had nothing else to add to the negotiations, which helped to disguise O'Connor's malaise with reentering the room.

Once she was sat down with a scotch in her hand (*why not splurge while I'm here*), the ork asked nonchalantly the adept "I caught someone in my apartment last week, and I believe he was looking for you. Any chance you might know why they tracked me if they're looking for you?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (17:38:38/10-02-16)
Ms Johnson sighed, "I am beginning to understand why every why everyone I worked for always seemed so pissed off.  I was on my way out the door to get another team fifteen minutes ago, and that is fifteen minutes I don't have."

"Here's my comm, why don't you have your people, call my people and maybe we can set up a coffee date a week from next Saturday.  I will let you know then exactly how much money and street cred you part-timers left on the table."  She walks out without another word.

As she passes Clem and O'Conner at the bar, she speaks to the ork.  "You seem to have some sense about you and about biz, if you can get this team of yours on the same page in the next few minutes let me know, I have to go make arrangements in case you don't."  She heads out.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (20:18:44/10-02-16)
Snow leaves the room in the woman's wake.  She is confused at the woman's reaction and bites her tongue to keep from saying something unprofessional.  She sends a note to her team.  >>Sorry team.  I may have scotched the play, even though I fail to see how.  In any case, I am not sure I can work with her just for the money.  Count me out unless she changes her tune.  I do not like her and I would be thinking that someone who offers a lot of money but cares nothing about the people on the team she is hiring, does not really care if we come home to be paid.  Can I join you for a drink, or am I persona non grata now?<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (21:50:14/10-02-16)
O'Connor's eyes widened in surprise at Clem's statement, "Drek, they must've peg you when you scoped out my apartment. The Azure Fists are now a part of the Halloweeners. You might really want to rethink working with me. I'm a crazy ass psycho, but the Halloweeners take things to a whole other level. They're probably looking for all the ways they can come at me." After the Johnson made her spiel and left, O'Connor looked at Clem confused, "The frag just happened in there?" He then got Snow's message, "Seriously, what the frag?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (23:49:22/10-02-16)
"It's the second time in 20 minutes you suggest we stop working together, is the suit cutting circulation to your head?" asked Clem to O'Connor.

Before the man had time to answer, the Johnson had already set her ultimatum. Turning to her teammate, she echoed his confusion, and added "If she thinks I was the voice of reason in the group, then something really went wrong."

After getting Snow's message, she sent a message to the whole team. <Yes, I think we should all get together for a chat about this. We're at the bar.>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:19:50/10-03-16)
Snow walks into the bar in her fancy dinner dress, the slit on her left thigh showing lots of leg as she moves.  She spies Con and Clem in the room and heads over to join them.  She looks at the man who comes over and orders a vodka, neat, as she sits down.  Her frown momentarily goes away when she looks at the others.  "Boy, I do not know what I said, but I thought I was telling her that I could make my part of this all come together.  She just seemed to take it all wrong and stormed out as if she had already made up her mind and nothing I was going to say would change it.  What a Четверг утро, sorry, what a bitch.  Anyway. I guess I shot our chances for that payday in the ass and I am sorry.  Just thought I would get a drink and explain myself before going back to work."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (02:52:25/10-03-16)
Clem shrugged. "Seems this is off to a bad start all over. But the question still stands: do you want to take the job? And if we do end up on this gig, how fast can you get ready? She stormed out, but I think I can still talk her into hiring us if we can get everyone on board."

Clem then turned to Torley and Sammy. "If we decide to take this, how much time do you guys need to prepare? I'm sure she will give us some leeway for inoculations, but the sooner the better. I personally don't feel like waiting for months for another Johnson to show up at our doorstep. I think we should ride this wave of popularity we are on now and build the biggest resume we can, so that we can refuse the drek assignments later on."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (04:38:10/10-03-16)
"I just need to get my stuff from my apartment," Sammy said, "but for me the problem isn't there.  I don't have problems with the job as such, although I'd rather stay in Seattle, even with the fact that it's a rush job.  But if it's a rush job, she might have told us in advance, maybe put the meeting a bit earlier and she definitely should have arranged for the immunizations we need.  We didn't know where we were going until ten minutes ago, so we couldn't know what we would need.  And yes, maybe we could have handled this better, but a Johnson who can't deal with those small issues, has no business in the shadows.  So unless we get the time we need to get all that stuff done, for me it ends here."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (06:11:41/10-03-16)
"Alright, would you have enough time to get everything taken care of tonight? What if we set the departure time at first light tomorrow morning, would that be enough for everyone to get their things in order?" On that, Clem turned to Snow and asked her "What do you need to do for everyone to get their immunization done by then?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (07:35:15/10-03-16)
"Look, I really want to go on this run. What's not to like about visiting a new place, taking in the culture, meeting the locals, and then murdering them in the face? But this Johnson is super pissed and has rub both of our people persons the wrong way." He turned to Torley and Snow, "Even if we can salvage this, how petty and vindictive do you think she is? What are the odds of her trying to ice us instead of pay us when everything is said and done?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (09:23:40/10-03-16)
Clem interjected. "The more appropriate question would be, how do you know her? I don't think it's someone you met at a place this one time, since she made it a point to tell us she was a person you met at a place this one time. The question is, how good of a relationship do you have with the fixer, Torley? Would it be a scandal for your guy if the Johnson offed the team, or would that bring consequences?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:22:00/10-03-16)
Sam sighed, idly stirring his latest martini with its olive. "You're right, though I can't go into details. She's not going to off us, but the reasons behind that also put pressure on me to accept the job, even if she is a bitch. Not saying she wouldn't stiff us on this promised 'finders fee'; that's on her. But if we let this job walk--much as I'd like to--there will be repercussions. At the very least, we likely won't be getting jobs from the same source in the future." Sam had no clue what the Club would do to him or Sammy, but he was sure they'd do something. And there was Lyra to think about as well.

He looked over at Snow. "You really think you can line up immunizations in the middle of the night on a weekend? I know a doc, but I don't think she could pull through as fast as the J wants. And your...other commitment. You need any help extracting from that?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:32:00/10-03-16)
Snow shakes her head.  "As soon as I get out of the club, I will go to the public sites for Nigeria and surrounding countries and download what we need for immunizations and pass the list out to you.  You each need to tell me if you have any of these already.  If you do not have them or are not sure if they are current, then you get a shot.  I will reach out to my contacts as soon as we know we have the job as I do not want to go through what it will take if this is not happening.  But yes, I think I can get the medicines quickly.  No guarantees, though.  And I also have a thought on extricating myself from my date.  It is not optimum, but I can manage.....I hope.  Thank you very much for offering to help"  She finishes her drink and stands.  "Sorry to run, but I have several things to do before I can really be ready, including ditching a date set up by my Vory superiors without pissing them off.  I have a plan, but need to leave to get working on it.  Calling the J and making peace with her is your call and I will go along with the group decision.  I do not like her nor am I convinced that she is willing to work with us on any aspect of this job, but that is my opinion and liking the J has never been a requirement, right?  OK, I am off.  Call me.  Remember that you cannot receive my messages from inside the building."

Snow leaves the bar and leaves the building, hailing a taxi from the several that are waiting near the club.  She is already on the public sites for Nigeria and several of the surrounding countries and is downloading the list of current required and recommended immunizations.  She has the list before the cab arrives back at the hotel where she is eating dinner and sends it off to the team.  She exits the cab and heads into the building, returning to the banquette hall well before her date does. 
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:57:49/10-03-16)
Returning to her table, Snow finds that the meal is over and people are more or less mingling, some taking advantage of the live band to be on the dance floor.  She sits and sips at her wine, considering her options as she waits for the green light from her team and their responses to her message about the inoculations.  Her reverie is interrupted by the return of her date, who looks quite uncomfortable.  She stands as he approaches, and is ready to make her excuses for the evening when he motions for her to come with him.  Once a bit away from the rest of the diners, he turns to her and says, "I am terribly sorry, my dear, but I am afraid that I have to draw this very enjoyable evening to an early close.  My business has intruded on my pleasure and I am called away for what is probably a very long meeting.  It is quite likely that I will be busy up to my departure tomorrow and may even have to cut my stay in Seattle short.  I am very sorry for this inexcusable lapse in courtesy and hope that you can forgive me.  I have enjoyed very much our short, far too short, time together.  I would hope that you are available the next time I am in the city?"

Snow keeps her feelings inside and puts the proper face on the situation.  "I am disappointed, but I also can understand.  I, too, have enjoyed this very much.  It was quite pleasurable, in several ways.  You have been a true gentleman.  Thank you."

"You made that part easy.  You have a key to the room so you can get your things?  You may, of course, spend the night there if you like, but it is likely that I will be returning only to pack and leave."

Snow understands what he is saying.  "Thank you for the offer, but I think it is best that I just get my things and leave.  I do hope that you can look me up when you are next in Seattle."

He looks like he is about to say something else, when a man comes up to him and whispers something.  He nods and turns back to Snow.  "Thank you for a very memorable experience.  Good luck to you."

With that, he turns and walks off with the other man and Snow smiles as she turns for the door.  She walks sedately down to the ground floor and hails a cab to take her to the other hotel.  On the way she sends a note to her team.  >>Team.  Snow.  I have extricated myself from the date situation.  I am hoping that there are no inconvenient repercussions, but I think all will be OK.  I am making the calls to see about the drugs, so let me know if I need to stop that process.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (11:04:20/10-03-16)
Getting her commlink out, Clem said "Alright, let me tell her if she can wait until first light before departure, then we're in. But we need to haul ass: the worst thing would be for the Heaven's Devils to botch their first official job."

Quickly typing her message, Clem wrote <Clem here. If you can give us until dawn to straighten our medical and equipment needs, then we'll be locked and loaded. Consequently, where should we meet?>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (11:58:27/10-03-16)
Snow's second call is to her Vory Contact.  >>Snow here.  The meeting with the foreign investor went very well.  He had to cut the visit short but was quite pleased with the attention he received while he was here so you should have no complaints in that regard.  Thank you for the opportunity to help make a difference.  Coincidentally, my other team has been offered a job that you might have an interest in.  We are being asked to go to Lagos, Nigeria for the job.  Not sure if you have any contacts there or if I will be able to set anything up, but would you like me to try while I am there?  I need to be a hero to my team and the person hiring us, so can you set me up with the list of immunizations I need for five people?  I have attached the list here and need it rather quickly.  I can come to pick them up, but need them as fast as possible.  I am counting on your support.  Please contact me when you have things ready for me.<<

Snow sends the message with confidence.  After all, she has to answer to her superiors, but they in turn are bound by the same laws of honor to assist her in any way possible.  Such are the responsibilities and perks of a person in her position in the organization.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (23:18:08/10-03-16)
Clem gets a return text almost immediately

>>>Wonderful! Since we’ll be traveling together, you can call all me Jane, even Stick.  Ms. Johnson is something I’d call my employer.

I’ve put together a list of inoculations that the World Health Organization recommends for travelers to West Africa. Some of these things aren’t in your normal medkit, and a couple are not going to feel real good, but there is nothing to exotic or expensive to lay hands on. There’s some additional information about Lagos in the file, if you’re not already familiar with the city.

To get us to Africa, I’ve arranged for a private flight from here to Cairo, and then on to Accra—the capital of Asante, and the closest real airport to Lagos. That way we don’t have to deal with any airport security or other travel issues. But after that, I’m afraid we’ll be traveling with a bush pilot into Lagos. That is why I am bugging out about the time, the schedule is pretty tight and it isn’t incredibly reliable, but it is the best way to get there fast.

I’ve been told there will be limited room on the plane for us on the final leg, and we’re to pack light. A single carry-on-sized bag and a backpack or dufflebag each, or so I was told, and I’d seriously recommend everyone bring their own medkit.

Here is the thing, I am going to be on the tarmac at midnight, I can’t see a good reason you will need longer than that if you are the pros I think you are, but I leave it to your judgement. <<<

The list you will find is not much different than the one Snow has made, and it includes a specialty code medkit that includes additional food and water purification and antibacterials that will run 10% higher than a standard kit with the same rating. It also gives instructions for finding the plane.


(OOC: I can't attach the handout, I will try and email it to everyone tomorrow, it is basically a cliffnotes of Feral Cities)
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (23:45:41/10-03-16)
Clem forwards the message to the rest of the team, adding <Here is a list of what we need, Snow. I personally should get all of it, so please tell me where to go to get it and how much it will cost us. Let me know about the timeline, as I would also love to make it by midnight if we can.>

With that, Clem asked everyone else "I think it would be better for us to get our stuff ready, if there are no more questions. We'll rendez-vous at whatever place Snow has for the shots once she tells us, meanwhile please get everything you need ready."

Getting up, Clementine also added as an afterthought "And I also think these shots and the medkits should come out of the team fund."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (00:54:26/10-04-16)
O'Connor drained his whiskey and got up to leave. He returned home and changed out of his new suit. He put on his armored vest and casual clothing consisting of a Thunder Smashers band tee and worn-and-torn denim jeans. He stuffed a duffle bag near to bursting with guns and ammo. He didn't bother packing any clothing. Space was a premium and he could buy clothes when they got to Lagos.

He had the suspicion that the Halloweeners were going to turn his apartment building into a burnt out husk by the time he got back. So he also packed up his remaining weapons and ammunition, plus the new suit and a few other articles of clothing. He took them over to Darrel's shop. O'Connor was a bit surprised that his buddy wasn't in, even on a Saturday evening. He remembered the dwarf mentioning a girl he met a few weeks back, Kendall, Kendra, or something or another. He shrugged it off and let himself in, placing his stuff in a locker. <[Recipient: Darrel | Text]: Got a job, leaving town for a week or so. Halloweeners will probably hit my place soon, so I'm leaving some stuff in my locker at the shop.> A part of him wanted to tell Darrel to watch his back, but forwent it, knowing the dwarf would just be insulted.

From the shop, O'Connor hit the freeway and had his car do loops until Snow got back to him with a meeting place for the shots or he needed to get to the airport on time. To pass the time he read over the information the Johnson gave them on Lagos.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:01:03/10-04-16)
Snow is at home packing and telling the boys she would be out of town for a week or so.  Tommy takes a look from her as a hint and leaves after wishing her good luck.  Andrew helps Snow pack, touching her every now and then.  He does not have to ask about the previous night, although it is clear that he wants to.  After the medkit is checked and packed, Snow turns to him and leads him to the couch.  What is said between them is personal and private, but Andrew seems very relieved afterwards.  Clem's message comes in during this chat and Snow takes it when they are done.  She nods to her companion and lover and sends a reply.  >>Clem.  Snow.  Thanks for the list.  I see I was well-informed as to the shots needed.  My contacts have already greenlighted me getting the medicnes, but the distributor is a Vory asset but not Vory, if you get my meaning.  I will need to be present to check over what we are given to be certain that we are getting stuff that is still within the use date and not some bottom shelf replacement drek.  Are you certain that you wish to be involved in the transaction?  If so, I am leaving for the location in about ten minutes. We can get the drugs and meet the others at the airport in plenty of time.  Let me know if you are interested and I will wait for you at the attached location coordinates.<<

She turns to Andrew.  "You want to help?  I need to pick up some meds to give everyone shots for where we are going.  Would you like to drive me out in your car and then drop me at the airport?"  He smiles and nods then helps her finish packing.  They pause for a very passionate kiss before leaving the apartment and getting in the car to go meet Clem.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (03:57:41/10-04-16)
<Ok, I'll see you there> replied Clem as she was finishing packing her things. The ork was astonished she had managed to make her new shotgun, her sub machine gun, her stun baton, her katana, her handgun, and the ammo and magazines fit in her bag, along with some change of clothes (because only the gods know what they are using in Lagos). She hailed one of those self-driving cabs and went straight to the location Snow had given her, but not without an internal farewell to her place.

Arriving, Clem couldn't suppress a surprised "You guys are still together?" when seeing Snow's companion, Andrew. The lack of empathy was a stark contrast to what the ork had displayed earlier in the meeting, but wasn't unusual for Clementine.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (04:53:53/10-04-16)
"Sure," Sammy said on Clem's suggestion that the group fund pays for the medkits, "sounds logical.  Well, I'm off to home, I'll see you at the airport."

First she went home.  Marcus was not there, so she started to pack her bags, something which didn't take all that long.  In the meantime, Marcus had come home.  She told him that she had another trip abroad, although this time a bit further then LA.  She told him that he had to continue to go to school and she would check in on him from time to time via commlink or the astral and he could always contact her if needed.  She didn't mind him seeing Cassie, but he had to keep going to school and do his homework.  And use protection, as he was too young to become a father.  And also she didn't want him to turn the house into a party place.  This was one of the advantages of Orcs maturing faster, she thought, as he was clearly not happy about it but she knew he could stay at home alone. 

She promised him that when she got back, they would do something together, just the two of them.

Then it was time to get to the airport, where she arrived a bit after midnight.
"Sorry about that," she said, upon arriving ten minutes late, "some family issues cropped up I had to deal with before leaving.  So we do the shots on the plane?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:39:13/10-04-16)
Snow and Andrew arrive before Clem and sit in the car, talking and holding hands like young lovers.  Within a few minutes, the Ork arrives and joins them in the vehicle.  Snow laughs at her question as Andrew nods.  "Yes, we are together.  And happy.  I wish I were going along on this, just in case your 'links get infected again.  Maybe another time."

Snow squeezes his hand to reassure him and then he drives to the location for the buy, pulling up to a white van with two large men standing near it.  Clem and Snow get out and go over to meet the men and some words are exchanged before a third man steps out of the cab and comes to join them, introducing himself simply as Vlad.  The van box is opened and Snow is shown the equipment, which includes six of the special medkits plus fourteen kit reloads, all of the medicine to inoculate six people, and some extra sets of malaria pills.  Snow looks through everything, talking in Russian to the man, who nods several times.  She discards several items as out of date and has them replaced.  Finally satisfied, the two guards load everything into Andrew's car and Clem authorizes the credit transfer.  Snow and Vlad shake hands and exchange some words in Russian before everyone gets back in their vehicles and drives away.

At the airport, they find the private terminal and note that the plane is already there, along with the J.  Snow, Clem, and Andrew unload the medical supplies and the women's bags near the plane before Snow takes Andrew to the far side of the car and talks softly to him for a couple of minutes before they embrace.  They kiss and the man bids farewell to Clem before climbing into the car and driving away.  Snow watches the tail lights until they disappear then turns to Clem.  "To really answer your question; yes, we are really still together.  And yes, he knows where I was Friday night and Saturday.  It is complicated, but I feel very lucky.  Now, let's pack our kits and sort the others out.  I can give us our shots now but may have to do the others on the flight over."

Snow's bag had been lighter, as all she has in it are a couple of changes of clothes and the ammunition for her pistols.  She stows the special medkit in the bag, along with the refills, keeping the immunization kits out and in a separate bag.  While storing her things, she finds a short note from Andrew and reads it, breaking into a large smile at the contents before carefully folding it and putting it in a pocket to read again later.  She knows that he will find the note she has left for him, but this just makes things so much better.  Snow picks up her bags and walks to the plane and greets the J.  "Hello, Jane.  Two of us are here and the rest are on the way.  I managed to get enough medicine to inoculate six people because I was not sure if your instructions included yourself for the shots.  You did not get back to me about nearby foreign countries, so I looked anyway and found that one requires something Nigeria does not and have got that just in case.  Are you up on your shots or do you need anything?  I am assuming that I can use the plane to have the people sitting down as a couple of these are pretty harsh initially?" 
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:12:52/10-04-16)
It didn't take Sam long to get ready; he didn't have a ton of gear to collect like some of the others, and Lyra was very understanding when he told her he'd gotten a job through the Club that would take him out of country for a while. He arrived at the airport in plenty of time for the meet.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (11:17:26/10-04-16)
Sam arrives as Snow is talking to Jane and she waves him over before turning back to the J.  "Correction, there are three of us." 

Snow turns to Sam.  "Let's get on board and I can give you and Clem your shots.  One of these is a bit harsh, so I would advise remaining seated for about an hour or so and you might feel a bit of nausea.  I have inoculation cards for all of us to show if required and can upload the information to your 'link if you want."

She picks up her bags and climbs the stairs to the plane, heading to the rear to stow her things while keeping the immunization kits out.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:35:52/10-05-16)
O'Connor arrived at the airport a few minutes before midnight, "Yo, Boss Lady, how long till we get to Lagos? And you're completely positive security forces aren't an issue?" He unzipped his duffle bag a bit to show Jane its contents.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (04:38:32/10-05-16)
Once everyone was arrived, Clem nodded to Snow and explained that the inoculations would be done in the plane. The group got their luggage inside the plane, but Clem had kept her handgun on her, loaded with S&S ammo, just in case. Clem asked Snow to vaccinate her first and wait for another 20 minutes before starting on the rest of the other members. She left the hacker with the trouble of coming up with an excuse for the delay, since they didn't want to project an image of incompetence to their new boss, but at the same time the ork was adamant on not putting everyone at risk at the same time.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:30:59/10-05-16)
Once everyone is on board, Snow stands near the front of the plane and announces that she will begin the inoculations.  "I will begin with Clem then waiting about twenty minutes between people.  I do not know if any of you will have a bad reaction to the drugs and do not want to be in the middle of doing another person if one of you does.  Twenty minutes should give you time enough to develop a negative reaction.  Two of these shots need to be given in the ass, so please remember that I am your physician.  Alright, Clem, you are first."

With that, Snow begins the immunization process, waiting about twenty minutes between people.  She looks at Jane to see if she needs any shots.  Once all of her companions have the shots, she signs off on a physical immunization record and uploads one to their whichever 'link they want her to use.  When that is done, she gives herself her own shots, finishing the process.  Afterwards, she sits in the comfortable seat and relaxes for the trip to Cairo and beyond.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:08:32/10-06-16)
"Don't worry about that," Sammy said with a chuckle, "you're the only one from the team who hasn't seen it.  And if you've seen some of my trids, you actually have as well."
If there was one thing you couldn't be shy about if you worked in trids, and especially as a woman, it was nudity.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:40:23/10-10-16)
As the team arrives at the plane Ms. Johnson greets them as warmly as possible, introducing herself as Jane and trying to make them as comfortable as possible.

To O’Conner:
“We won’t have any security issues, we are on a private flight, under corporate protection as far as Assante.  After that security is up to us, which is why you all are here.”

Once everyone has arrived and Jane has waved off Snow’s inoculation offer, she joins them in the cabin of the plane for a little preflight meeting.

“I want to take a moment to get everyone on the same page, I know the last time I saw you all that things were getting a bit tense.  I am usually on the other side of these arrangements, and to be honest, I am not really comfortable in the role, I would rather just be Jane.  Between the pressure of the timetable and that discomfort, my usually friendly banter and snark came out as being a Triple-A bitch and for that I apologize.  We are going to be working closely together so I need to know we are good before that gets started.”
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (00:28:31/10-11-16)
After Jane's throat-clearing, Clem simply bowed to her and said the team was at her disposal. She got seated and ready for the flight to commence.

Sammy followed Clem's statement with a short handshake and a warm introduction, talking to her with a faked sympathy only someone with years of acting behind her can pull off. She took her seat and made sure everything was ready before takeoff.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:31:49/10-11-16)
Snow barely hears most of the conversation, but is roused by the last bit.  "Good to go here.  I have been doing some cursory research on Lagos and we might need a bunch more Clems and Cons on this trip.  This is some place we are going to.  West coast of Africa.  Somewhere between 10 and 20 million people on a few islands and some coastland.  Most of the people in the Redmond Barrens live better than most of the people in Lagos.  Two main tribes of natives, but lots of minor ones, and just as many languages in use.  No apparent police force and no city government as such, but gangs and corps seem to run their own shows as long as they have the muscle to back them up.  Money is strange and is almost entirely local scrip, called Naira, which runs about 20 to 1 Nuyen.  A travel advisory indicates that we do not want to use any paper naira due to most of it being forged and useless.  There are objects loosely used as a sort of currency that is more widely accepted than the naira, called hawala tokens.  These take the form of almost anything but are carved in specific designs to represent a set amount of naira.  I certainly recommend getting set up with some of that currency.  Remember these words in this order:  Monkey - Fish - Hippo - Parrot - Lion.  These are the designs on the objects.  They are supposed to have the value on the other side of the thing, but it would help to not have to look it up each time.  They are worth 5 - 10 - 50 - 100 - 1000 naira."

"I am still researching things, but would like to try to download some software from Horizon that will let us translate the main language, Yoruba.  I can try for others, but several tour sites indicate that there is no linguasoft for anything but the main language.  Based on some of the prices I have seen, our daily per diem will not cover much, even at an exchange rate of 20 to 1.  Oh yeah, there is matrix support there, but it can be spotty if not on the main island.  I will get us more information and let you know more as I get more.  Any specific requests for me to be looking at?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (01:42:45/10-11-16)
Clem shrugged at Snow. "Can you look up our competition, or anything related to what we're looking for?" Clementine then turned over to sammy and asked her "What about you Starlet, can you look up anything magical related to our mission?"

Without a pause, Sammy answered "Not while we're moving. I'll spare you the details, but it could be extremely risky for me to venture out and not know how to come back. Besides, the sheer distance to the place would consume a lot of time trying to find Lagos just to begin with. Better we wait until we land and are in a safe zone before I do anything."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:20:34/10-11-16)
O'Connor settled into his seat as Jane cleared the air, "If this city is as rough as it's made out to be, we're bound to run into a lot of complications along the way. Do you want these problems crushed thoroughly or handled discreetly?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:35:48/10-11-16)
Snow nods at Clem then looks at Jane.  "I could do more of that if I knew more about the opposition.  Jane, what can you tell us about who or what we are facing there?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (14:41:06/10-11-16)
Sam could tell that Jane was being honest--or, at least, significantly more honest than she'd been during the initial meet. He still wasn't entirely sure of her--he'd often felt like it was harder to get a good "read" on elves--but the longer he was with her, the better he'd understand her mannerisms. He still wasn't thrilled about working for (or with) her, but he knew it wouldn't help to antagonize her. She was paying the bills, after all. He gave her a short nod, shifting slightly to adopt a more relaxed posture.

He turned to Snow. "I'm pretty good at picking up languages--can you get me some recordings of this Yoruba?" Once she'd loaded some videos into his 'link, he settled back into his seat, listening and watching.

[spoiler]
OOC: Sam has the Linguistics adept power.
Quote from: Street Magic, pages177-178
The Linguistics power combines enhanced memorization and mimicry to allow an adept to pick up a new language after minimal exposure—no Karma expenditure or test required. After (10 – Magic) hours of contact to the new language in use, the adept makes an Intuition + Logic Test using a threshold as noted on the Linguistics Table (p. 177). If successful, the adept develops the Language skill at Rating 1 at no Karma cost. Increasing the skill beyond this point requires normal Karma expenditure, but the base learning time for the adept is halved.

So Sam'll be immersed in these videos (assuming local television; obviously, instructional videos would help, though I'm not sure if those exist in-game) for about five hours of the flights. I'm not sure what threshold level to use for the language (common is 1, uncommon is 2, and obscure is 3), though I'm assuming uncommon or obscure.

INT[5] + LOG[2] (http://orokos.com/roll/444580): 7d6t5 2

...Hrm. Guess it's GM's discretion on whether or not Sam can pick up the basics of Yoruba on the flight.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:25:53/10-11-16)
"In case you don't remember, the elf we are looking for goes by the name of Samriel Lockwood, but that could be fake.  I do have an image of him, nasty looking critter, but he should be easy to spot in Lagos."  She passes Snow a glossy scan of a heavily muscled elf with silver cybereyes and short cropped gray hair.  "As for what I know about him, that is it, a name and a face, which is why I had to move fast before one of them changed.  But remember he is not the target, we need to recover my employer's property, it looks like a cross between an armillary sphere and a navigational sextant. In the center is a sphere, and the sphere is mounted on a staff, which is intricately carved with spiraling designs and glyphs.  If that sounds confusing, don't worry, I will know it when I see it."

"There will be some linguasofts for Yoruba on sale at the terminal in Assante, probably the only place you can get anything decent for the language, along with some of the other common tongues like French."

Turning to O'Conner "When we are on the ground in Lagos, I don't need a trail of blood following me everywhere I go, so let's avoid that.  As a general ROE let's call it, fire if fired upon, nothing gratuitous and follow my orders, okay?"

With it relatively apparent that the hard feelings are settled, Jane will signal the pilot to begin takeoff.  "It is a long way to Cairo, so you might want to get some sleep, I know I do."

[spoiler]That will not succeed, Yoruba is definitely obscure, making it difficult you Snow to find good source material.  In the future, if you want to try thi again, I will want to see a datasearch from Snow, BEFORE you make your roll.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (22:38:46/10-11-16)
With the rules of engagement clear to everyone, Clem was certainly satisfied that everything was taken care of before their departure. The ork asked Snow to let her know if she found anything, and then plopped herself in a seat, making herself as comfortable as she could. The street samurai was eager to catch some rest on the flight, certain she would need to be awake and somewhat rested once they touched down.

Sammy also made herself comfortable, taking a vacant seat towards the tail end of the plane. The ex trid star also wanted to rest her head and relax, but the situation with Marcus and his new conquest (or was it the other way around?) made it difficult for the spell caster to fall asleep. Nevertheless, despite the anxiety making her breathing even more difficult, she eventually was lulled to sleep by the steady rhythm of her respirator.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:09:46/10-12-16)
Snow shakes her head at the face.  "Sorry, Sam, most of what I got so far is just tourist fluff.  Apparently, there is little to nothing of any detailed record about the native tribal languages in Lagos.  It may be our best bet to get the linguasofts and study them when we have time.  Sorry I cannot do more on short notice.  I have been busy since very early yesterday morning and could use some rest.  I will try again in a bit."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (04:49:01/10-12-16)
O'Connor shrugged, "Fine. You're the boss, you call the shots. A fight's going to break out sooner or later, despite what you want. This place is some kind of super Barrens, right? Strength is the only language drek-bags like me understand, and violence is our prefered currency. We need to be seen as sharks, not minnows. Things like submission, hesitation, or mercy are only going to paint us as targets. That'll cause us bigger problems in the long run. We can't ever back down, and when a fight does break out we need to put down all resistance, hard."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (10:02:16/10-12-16)
Clem decided to ignore O'Connor's comment. She thought it was best not to press Jane on the issue, and knew she wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger if such a situation arose.

Sammy, however, decided to intervene.  "Like Jane said, better not to leave a trail of blood following us wherever we go. There are many ways we can go about Lagos without drawing unnecessary attention on ourselves."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:40:08/10-12-16)
At Snow's comment, Sam was disappointed, but figured there'd be plenty of time for him to pick up the local lingo. As others were settling in, he moved over to the Johnson.

"So, Jane--what's our play? Corporate shill? Rich pleasure seeker? Group of bleeding-hearts looking to set up a soup kitchen?" He said this last with a slight, lopsided grin; it was obviously a joke.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:41:08/10-14-16)
"Don't get it twisted hot shot, we are going to be lucky if a bunch of oyibos like us aren't having problems all the time, I am just saying that I don't need you putting a bullet in the head of the first Area Boy that steps up to us for a bribe.  That is attention we don't need, we are there to work, not take over."

Turning to Sam, she thinks a moment before she answers, "We can't really pull of any of those, so let's just play it straight, we are looking for a guy, and we will reward those who help us.  We are all working too far out of our element to try and run a scam, and we don't know what we will be running into."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (00:07:46/10-15-16)
O'Connor shrugged, "Fine, no unprovoked massacres of the local powers. That said, these Area Boys, or whoever, are in for a bad day if they think they can squeeze me for an easy payday. Dental work costs an arm and a leg in the nice parts of the world, can't imagine what it'll cost these assholes here."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (13:50:44/10-15-16)
Snow smiles as she listens to the banter.  In her experience, Con is a good soldier and very effective at his craft.  He can certainly carry out the things he is talking about, but he is also smart enough to know when to act and when to pay up and move on with the mission.  After all, the bribe money should be coming from the J and not the team, so what does it matter?  See snuggles down a bit in the mostly comfortable seat and thinks of Andrew before falling asleep.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (18:05:56/10-15-16)
The intercontinental flight is uneventful, it is long, but a night's sleep eats into most of that downtime.  Refueling in Cairo goes quickly and without incident, with little time to even stretch your legs, and opportunity first time international travelers miss more than the others. 

Flying into Accra, the capital of Assante, you feel like you are landing on the edge of the world.  The dusty city below some last outpost to the vast unknown beyond.  The plane pulls up to a small modern airport, and as you disembark the first thing you feel is HOT.  The humidity is a palpable thing that you cross into as you step out of the cabin, and even the SoCal native Sammy is dreadfully uncomfortable, and she has been here before.  Northern newcomers like Snow and O'Conner are almost completely overwhelmed.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (18:43:22/10-15-16)
Snow swears in Russian then adds, "Holy crap!  This heat and humidity will take some getting used to.  We're certainly not in Seattle anymore.  Anyone have any advice for a newcomer on how to deal with this?"

She can feel the thin fabric of her shirt plaster to her body even as she stands on the tarmac outside the plane with her bag, thinking that perhaps she should have worn a bra after all.  She looks over to the J.  "Say, Jane, do we have time to get a hat or a scarf at least?  I am going to need something to keep the sweat out of my eyes.  I am assuming it is the same or worse in Lagos?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (19:53:40/10-15-16)
O'Connor physically recoiled as he stepped off the plane, "Bleh. Holy fragging balls." The climate here was rather oppressive, and he also wasn't a fan of how dusty the place was either. Say what you will about Seattle's ubiquitous rainfall, but at least it keeps particulate matter out of the air. O'Connor got the feeling that he was in for a long week.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:45:52/10-15-16)
"I would bet there is a merchant or two in the airport, though the selection is probably very limited, and I thought some of you wanted to get some linguasofts before we head to our final destination regardless.  Your advances..." She hands each a credstick, "..I will hold onto your per diem until we get to Lagos so we can make the exchanges together, but the capital merchants should take nuyen."

Jane walks with you into the terminal, "I am going to park myself at that McHugh's for a belly full before we completely abandon civilization.  Get what you need and meet me there."  She points to the ubiquitous rounded M next to a gate that says INTERCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS.

Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (09:33:22/10-16-16)
Clem immediately sighed when she hit the humidity wall. The sheer weight of the heat made it difficult to stand still, let alone do anything productive. The ork immediately removed her overcoat and set it with the rest of her luggage. She then decided to stay hidrated and went to the nearest water fountain, trying to stay as hydrated as she could.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (12:04:33/10-16-16)
Jane will head the ork off, "Let me buy you a juice at McHugh's, you should probably stay away from the local water supplies here, unless it is filtered or boiled, just in case."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (12:40:17/10-16-16)
Snow nods.  "I totally agree with Jane, Boss.  Stay away from most of the water unless it is bottled and imported.  The inoculations you got do not protect you against normal pathogens in the water that your body is not used to and we don't need anyone sick from that.  If there is a safari outfitter here or in Lagos, we can probably get a supply of treatment tablets.  I am headed for the vendors to see if I can find one with linguasofts and another with a scarf, and will look for one with water treatment supplies.  I will be back at the fine dining establishment in a bit.  How much time do we have here, Jane?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (12:48:03/10-16-16)
"Our pilot is waiting for us, but we are not his only cargo, so don't take a long time unless you want to walk to Lagos."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (13:22:26/10-16-16)
Snow nods and accesses the AR guide to the vendors in the terminal, noting one that might serve her purposes.  She looks around at the others and says, "Hey.  There is a place just around the corner named Trader Jim's.  It advertises to have "Everything under the sun for the serious adventurer and the casual tourist".  I am headed over there to see if they have what we need.  One of their menu options is linguasofts and I would advise that we all get at least a basic package.  Anyone else coming with me?  I will try to be back in a few minutes and be ready to go."

She sets the AR guide to set an arrow to her course and shoulders her bag, heading off into the terminal.  Arriving at the vendor's shop, she is very pleased to find that it is a bit cooler inside, thanks mainly to the large overhead fans that keep the humid air moving, creating a sort of slight breeze.  The shop has shelves and racks piled up with clothing and equipment for those visiting the area.  Snow walks to the counter and smiles at the young man there, happy to find that he speaks some English, happier to note that his eyes seem fastened to her chest, as that might give her an edge in any bargaining.  She tells him that she is interested in some clothing that is better suited to the climate than what she is wearing, as in some water purification tablets and linguasofts for Lagos.  She mentions that she is short on time and could he please help her.  The man manages to speak without ever lifting his eyes above her chest level, pointing to a small kiosk for the languages and saying that he will go look for the other things.

Snow walks to the kiosk and pulls her DNI cable from its resting place, plugging it into the receptacle as she calls up the AR list of languages offered, glad to see that both French and Yaruba are offered.  She ponders for a moment on the wisdom of spending a bunch of nuyen on a language she will probably never use again, but then considers that the safety of the team may depend on at least one person knowing the languages sort of well.  She slots her credstick and is a bit surprised at the total on it, which makes her decision a bit easier.  Snow selects R4 packages of both languages, which is about the limit of what her 'link can take effectively and watches the money get sucked away as the programs download to her system.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (14:23:57/10-16-16)
The selection at the shop is strictly tourist kitschy crap, but semi functional.  Lots of loud colors and location themed articles (emblazoned with Africa or Accra or Assante) in s-xl.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (15:23:15/10-16-16)
The young man returns just as she finishes downloading the Horizon software to her 'link.  The man just cannot seem to keep his eyes above her neck as he shows her what the store has to offer.  She is disappointed in everything except a bandanna-style scarf, resolved to get something more appropriate from a local vendor when she gets to Lagos.  She is more disappointed to find that the man could not locate any water purification tabs.  She sighs and pays for the scarf and looks about for the others as she folds it and ties it about her head as a headband to keep the sweat from dripping into her eyes.  "Everyone ready to go?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (16:00:48/10-16-16)
Sam couldn't believe Jane. What was the point of Running if you were just going to "play it straight"? Didn't she know the thrill of creating a reality and convincing others that they inhabited it? Sammy understood it, he knew; they'd both had a blast in that podunk little town on the back-end of nowhere. Granted, she hadn't had to pretend too much--she really was Samantha Delavine, after all--but if the sheriff had figured out that they weren't actually there to shoot a movie, well...But the risk of being discovered was at least half the fun.

So, once they touched down in Accra and Jane turned them loose, Sam decided to show her what she was missing out on. He wasn't going to draw attention to the group, of course, but he was going to make sure she, at least, realized what was possible. When she headed over to McHugh's, he scanned the nearby area for a potential target. It didn't take him long to find her. Fairly average looking, somewhere around 30, pale skin, light brown hair, nursing her drink. Clearly someone from out of town, waiting for her plane to take her away. Going further or back home didn't matter for what Sam intended. What attracted him most, of course, was that she was only a few tables away from Jane. When things started happening, the elf would certainly have a front-row seat.

He quickly ran through the possibilities. Minor politician? Musician? Fashion designer? Artist? Author? The sheer variety of options almost made him grin outwardly, but he was a professional. He settled on the easiest narrative, the C-list actress, and got to work.

Some cons are easier to run with helpers, but Sam had never let working alone slow him down. He maneuvered around the general area of the terminal, never drawing attention to himself, but spreading rumors that there was a minor celebrity travelling incognito. A casual mention to one of the vendors that he'd recognized an actress over at McHugh's, but couldn't remember her name; enough of a description to identify the mark, but not enough to be suspicious. Walking near a group of young businessmen while pretending to be making a comm call, saying that he'd overheard someone talking about an up-and-coming human starlet who was on her way home from filming a 'trid. Always moving, never getting too close to the target, but making sure not to go too far, either.

Once he heard others repeating his story to each other, he knew his seeds were taking root, and he found a quiet spot along a wall to watch his work come to fruition.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (08:00:27/10-17-16)
"Right" mumbled Clem as she followed Jane to McHugh's. The ork didn't have anything pressing to buy, and didn't see the use of having more than one person with the Linguasoft, so she just acquiesced at Snow.

Once at the bar with their employer, Clementine decided to ask her a few questions, just to know a bit more what the team was dealing with. "So Jane, back in your street running days, what was your area of expertise?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:48:47/10-17-16)
Jane laughed, "I thought elves weren't supposed to show their age, do I look like an old retired runner?  I'm still in my street running days, but to answer your question, I do a lot.  Investigations, courier, a little espionage, I usually work alone, except for times like this when I get a team together for a job."  She hands Clem her drink, "What about you?  Don't see many Yakuza flying solo in the shadows, how is it working out for you?  Are you still fighting the chaos or have you embraced it?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (22:38:18/10-17-16)
Clem was taken aback by Jane's answer. *How did she know I used to be Yakuza?* thought the ork. Figuring she must have had some prior experiences with the Yakuza, the conclusion Clem was falling into the category by her behaviour and appearance became almost evident.

"I still have days when I wonder why I bother running in the shadows, but in the end it's all I can do. As strange as it might sound, the Heaven's Devils are my family now, for better or worse." The ork then raised her glass and took a big sip of her drink.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (23:41:30/10-17-16)
While waiting for any others of the team to finish shopping at the ill-advertised Trader Jim's, Snow uploads the language programs and sets them to active so she can get some practice with them.  Even if she is not used to speaking the language, she should be able to understand others much better.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (02:44:48/10-18-16)
Sammy had decided to accompany Snow to the store. "I'm sure we can find something fashionable to buy" had said Starlet, looking through the kitsch inventory at the store. In the end, she had decided against buying anything, but did say to Snow "I think you can take that Linguasoft out of the team funds."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (05:59:30/10-18-16)
O'Connor made his way to the McHugh's after realizing that the translation dictionaries for sale lacked any profanity. After ordering something to eat, he headed over to Jane and Clem's table. He caught the tailend of Clem's comment about the team, and was glad her back was to him. He leaned in over her shoulder with a mocking grin on his face, "Aww, how cute. Who knew that underneath that icy exterior was someone who actually cared?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (08:16:15/10-18-16)
A bit startled by O'Connor's appearance, Clem simply said "And with every family there is always a member you wished wasn't a butthole." The ork rearranged her chair to let Bullet Storm into the group, but continued with another question to Jane. "So you always work alone, no affiliations of your own?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:40:09/10-18-16)
Snow smiles at Sammy. "You think so?  Thanks for thinking of that.  We do have another 5K to put in the kitty from the advances, but I am leery of just assuming.  Perhaps I can mention it when we get back to the others."

Snow walks with Sammy back to the McHugh's, where they find the rest sitting, although Sam is a couple of tables a way.  She motions for him to join the group and says, "Alright, the store was a bit of a disappointment clothing wise, but I was able to pick up some R4 linguasofts for French and Yaruba, the major native dialect.  There was nothing available for any other of the local languages and no water purification tabs.  I paid 4K nuyen for the programs and was wondering if part of that cost could come from group funds.  Speaking of which, I think we each owe 1K to the treasurer from the advances we received. What do you guys think?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (12:02:57/10-18-16)
Clem immediately glared at Snow. The ork's piercing stare was not threatening, but it was definitely saying change the subject.

Sammy answered "Yeah, sure. Here's my part," to which Clem cleared her throat loudly. Starlet looked at the street samurai quizzically but quickly put whatever she had taken in her hand back into her pocket and decided against it. "We'll come back to that later" whispered Sammy to Snow, giving her a wink like a school girl that had been caught exchanging notes in class.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (23:23:29/10-18-16)
Snow is a bit confused, but changes the subject.  "I hope that the plane out of here is a bit cooler than the outside.  This is definitely not the Siberia I came from."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (00:18:04/10-19-16)
O'Connor loaded a credstick with his part of the team fund, and also received a glare and throat clearing from Clem. It seemed they'd yet again broke some protocol of Clem's. She always seemed to be riding his or Snow's hoop over this drek, yet never had she found it necessary to explain herself. If she was never going to make it clear why she had a problem, then he was never going to give a damn. He gave the ork a challenging glare of his own, "You alright Clem? Sounds like you're picking up a nasty cough. Maybe you should have Snow check you out." He then slide the credstick across the table to Snow.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (04:35:50/10-19-16)
"Yes, it seems there's an epidemic of the "bad business" bug all around me" responded Clem sarcastically, sliding O'Connor's credstick back to him. She then addressed the whole team, saying "can we please keep team business to ourselves?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (04:57:13/10-19-16)
O'Connor clenched his fists until his knuckles went white. Clem was lucky that their employeer was sitting right next to them. He slid the credstick back to Snow, a fair bit more forcefully than intended. His glare towards Clem got a mighty bit unfriendlier, "The fragging hell does it matter? We agreed that you call the shots in combat, but that was it. You don't get to lay down the law as you like. Snow doesn't have a problem with this, Sammy didn't, and I don't. You're outvoted. So sit there, shut up, and stop getting butthurt ever time we don't ask for your permission to wipe our own hoops."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (08:26:59/10-19-16)
Jane looks concerned, then sees this as something she may not want to see, so she quickly stands up.  "I think I will visit the facilities before we get on another plane, we can head that way when I get back."

She quickly moves off in the direction of the bathroom.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:00:48/10-19-16)
Snow does not reach for the stick.  "Look, this oppressive heat and the circumstances of the initial meet are getting to all of us.  We should not be arguing and certainly not in front of Jane.  We can work all of this out later and I am sorry that I brought it up."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (10:14:15/10-19-16)
O'Connor didn't break eye contact with Clem, and was purposely not blinking, "Don't fragging apologize. It'll make her think she can get away with this drek."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (20:46:40/10-19-16)
Clem leaned back and folded her arms. As O'Connor had pointed out, she had been outvoted, but that didn't change the fact she felt she was right. "That is not how you conduct business" said Clementine in a calm tone.

Sammy looked at the situation unfolding and interjected. "Come on Clem, what's the big deal? Jane didn't mind, and it's just an exchange of credsticks. There's no need to make a big deal out of this."

To which Clem looked back at Sammy and repeated herself. "That is NOT how you conduct business. I have been overruled on this, but you should know we shouldn't show the inner workings of the group to our employers." The ork was not budging from her position, but she knew the group had made a decision and she was going to have to live with it.

Starlet looked at Snow and asked her "Come with me and get a drink?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:51:29/10-20-16)
Snow looked at Starlet and nodded.  "Thanks.  But it will have to be quick as I doubt Jane will take that long in the toilet."  When Snow rises, she leaves the credstick on the table and follows Sammy to the nearby bar, where she orders a shot of vodka.  Turning to the Ork, she asks, Thanks for helping defuse that.  Is this just a social drink?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (10:33:54/10-20-16)
Sammy put her hand on one of Snow's shoulder and gave her a smile. "Don't worry about this, those two always butt heads like this. It almost seems like they love to get into arguments, actually. You should have seen them when we were on our first assignment, it almost came to blows. But in the end, they are still working together and I think they like things that way."


Back at the table, Clem was staring back at O'Connor. "This is exactly what I meant when I said butthole earlier. You didn't need to escalate this situation in front of the Johnson, Con. We barely got this job to begin with, and now you deliberately create a scene just to prove to yourself you're a tough guy that doesn't take shit from anyone? We're not in Seattle anymore, omae, who knows what kind of attention talking about money in an open space like this will attract. And before you say you can handle anything that comes our way, just stop and think for a minute about the fact that we don't know a single thing about this place. We just got here a few hours ago, we don't even know the word for 'gun'."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (17:12:10/10-20-16)
O'Connor's eyes went from unfriendly to venomous, "I created a scene?! You're the one who started this, you tusker cunt! We're sitting in a god damn burger joint in a fragging airport! We're fine from any would be thieves, you paranoid bitch! I may not know anything about the culture of where we're heading, but I do know that bullets kill people. That is all I need to know about Lagos or any other place in the world. Something you need to know; the others might let you bully and push them around, but that bulldrek won't ever work on me." O'Connor leaned forward, "I forgave you for running off on the mountain like a coward and nearly getting me killed. I haven't killed you for trying to rob my best friend. I put up with your constant snide remarks about me. You keep this drek up though, I'm going to start remembering every time you've ever wronged me." With that O'Connor grabbed his credstick and left, Clem having thoroughly ruined his appetite.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (19:51:49/10-20-16)
*And a bullet to your head will kill you just as well* thought the ork as O'Connor was leaving. She was left sitting by herself at the table, sipping her drink in silence.


"Looks like it's over" said Sammy to Snow as she looked at Bullet Storm walking away. "You seem to reach him on a level we can't, want to try talking to him? I'll handle the proud one" finished Starlet as she took her drink and walked back to the table.

"So what was it this time? Can't you just let this one thing slide?" asked Sammy, setting her drink on the table and getting a seat next to Clem.

"Not when it comes to business, nothing will slide." answered Clementine. "The rest of you might think this is some part-time gig, but for me it's my living. With his antics at the meet of freaking everyone out and Torley apparently not handling Jane well, we almost missed out on this payday. So forgive me for wanting to go forward doing things correctly."

Sammy paused for a moment. "And if the team falls apart because you're winding him too tight, there won't be any payday." She left the other ork to her thoughts and got started on her drink.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:54:04/10-21-16)
Snow looks at Starlet and nods.  She finishes her drink and walks over to where Con is standing.  "Hey, you alright?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (07:43:57/10-21-16)
Snow found O'Connor outside stewing under the blazing sun. He didn't bother to turn around, "Starlet send you to check up on me? Tell her I haven't reconsidered shooting Clem in the face, if that's what she's worried about. Might challenge her to a knife fight here soon though, if she keeps trying to boss us around like that."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:59:40/10-21-16)
Snow stays a couple of feet away.  She is not afraid of the man, but does not want to intrude on his personal space.  "I think that someone has to be the team lead.  I am too inexperienced with the rest of you so am clearly not a good candidate.  Who would you want to fill that role?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (10:28:12/10-21-16)
O'Connor shrugged, "I don't know if any of us are right for the role. You're the newbie. Torley's too flighty in a fight. No one trusts or respects me. Clem demands obedience without earning it. That leaves Starlet as the least bad choice, but she's never shown any desire or talent for it."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:38:03/10-21-16)
Snow laughs.  "What you have is a problem reading people.  You are both trusted and respected, but you will not allow yourself to see that.  You come across as gruff and rude, both traits that are not going to endear yourself to anyone.  I know that you probably won't experience any sort of epiphany from my words, but you should think on them a bit.  The words of a corporate whore might not mean anything, but maybe you could give getting along better a try.  All I am saying on the subject for now.  Do you want to go back inside out of the heat?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (11:13:38/10-21-16)
O'Connor finally turned back to look at Snow, "I don't think less of you, or dismiss your opinion, because you're a sex worker." He turned back towards the horizon, "That said, you're wrong. The others may acknowledge my fighting prowess, but that's it. They see me as a rapid dog. To be fair, there's far more than a grain truth to that, and I don't care if they trust or respect me anyway. All I care about earning is the fear and hatred of my enemies." O'Connor clenched his fists again, "As for getting along, to Clem that means bowing down to her without question. You saw her in there, she didn't like what we were doing. Instead of asking us to do things different, she mean mugged you and Starlet until you buckled under. She then physically stopped me. I won't ever, and I mean ever, bow down to her or anyone." It was obvious that he was leaving a lot unsaid, and that his aversion to authority was complete and intractable.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (11:34:56/10-22-16)
"Thank you for saying you do not think less of me for what I do.  It is what I have been trained my whole life for; that and medicine.  And I am actually quite good at the sex bit, believe it or not.  It is a real bonus that I happen to enjoy that part very much.  I will tell you that I am well respected in certain circles, and trusted, and it feels................nice.  Like my life has some sort of meaning.  If that was not there, it would have made being a whore a lot less enjoyable, I imagine.  And now I have found Andrew and am in love, which feels nice even just saying it.  The way you talk about yourself sounds to me like you have built up a wall of some kind to deliberately keep people away.  Do you want to tell me why?"

While talking, Snow sends two messages out.  >>Andrew.  Snow.  Just letting you know I am alright.  We are still in transit, but at a short rest stop to change planes.  Love you. and miss you.<<  The second message is to her Vory contact.  >>Snow checking in.  I am on the way to my Lagos job.  Never heard back on whether or not we have any contacts there you want me to look up.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (14:38:04/10-22-16)
O'Connor's reply was short, "Personal experience." A silence stretched out as O'Connor failed to elaborate. Eventually he spoke again, but to end the conversation, "Do me a favor, go ask Jane how much longer until we head out." 
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (16:46:43/10-22-16)
Snow realizes that Con knows that she could ask that question from here, so she takes this as a dismissal and leaves to return to the others.  She catches Starlet's eye as she approaches the table and gives her head a slight shake.  "Con is waiting outside and says to let him know when we are leaving."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (09:38:14/10-23-16)
With a shrug, Starlet replied "At least he didn't hit you, so that's progress of some kind." Clem then got up and said "Let's get everyone grouped and ready to leave." The ork walked back to Jane and bowed to her. "I'm terribly you had to be witness to this scene, but I will make sure this doesn't impact our performance or dedication. We simply need to wait for Torley to come back from his errand and we are ready to resume our travel."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:01:31/10-25-16)
Jane had been coming out of the restroom as Clementine approached her and bowed, but when the Johnson had failed to respond to her, she realized her attention was elsewhere.  Raising her field of vision she saw that Jane wasn’t paying attention to the ork, but looking behind her.

Turning herself she saw the strangest scene that was happening just a few feet from where she had just been sitting.  Over a dozen people were encroaching on an adjacent table where some European sarariwoman was working on her commlink, oblivious to the attention. Some simply looking or chattering behind their hands to each other, but a couple of braver individuals were approaching her, and as Clementine watched fascinated, one knelt beside her and quickly used his link to take a selfie with her.

There was suddenly a torrent of voices speaking to the woman in languages the bodyguard couldn’t recognize. Then Jane pulled a cap over her head and, pulling Clem along in her wake, moved to a nearby waiting area where Torley was sitting, seemingly uninterested in the rising cacophony behind them.  The beginning of a vaguely English voice began rising above the din, a hint of panic, creeping at the edge of the unfinished phrases being spouted, an obvious feature.  “Wha…I don’t..Who arr…beg your pardon, but…no, I’m…”

She walked by the face, stopping just long enough to speak, “Very cute Stick, you made your point.  I will hear your ideas once we are out of here.”  Then she was walking quickly around the growing crowd in the restaurant heading for the previously indicated gate that says INTERCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS.

She found the eyes of Snow and Sammy, and with a pointed chin, showed them her direction, then hit the exit door out of which O’Conner had stepped, “Let’s go High Speed, the bus is leaving.”  She didn’t even check to see if they were following, just casually strolled through the gate and around a corner.

As you catch up to her, she is approaching an armored guard that stands in front of a narrow gate, looking bored. Over the gate is a small sign that reads “LAGOS.”

The guard looks you all over, raising an eyebrow and smirking. “Going to Lagos?” he asks, in English. Jane nods. “There’s a travel tax for each of you,” he says.

Jane sighs. She turns to you. “I’ll take care of this,” she tells you. “Go ahead and see if you can find our pilot. Goes by the name Innocent Dobiri. He’s supposed to be waiting for us here. Tell him Black Mamba vouched for us.”
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:47:19/10-25-16)
O'Connor raised an eyebrow at Jane's moniker for him, *Does she plan to give us all nicknames?* O'Connor literally bit his tongue to keep silent when the guard demanded Jane pay a so-called tax. He had a policy of telling anyone that tried to shake him down to frag off and then most likely get into a gunfight, so it chaffed him to do nothing here. This was Jane's show though, so he begrudgingly continued on through the gate.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:16:25/10-26-16)
Snow moves when Jane nods and follows her directions, slipping past her as she deals with the gate guy and his graft tax.  Such taxes and attitudes are common in Russia and she fully expects to pay many such taxes before the journey is completed.  She keeps her eyes open as she walks with Starlet and Sam, looking for the plane and some fragger named Innocent Dobbin.  Snow shakes her head, wondering if anyone here is innocent.  She is running the translation programs but speaks in English as she walks up to a man in the uniform of one of the baggage stewards.  "I am looking for the pilot Innocent Dobbin.  Could you please point him out to me?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (03:39:41/10-26-16)
Still confused as to what was going on, Clem followed Jane to the gate. The guard asking for a bribe didn't surprise her, but she was nonetheless annoyed at it. However, she didn't let her feelings transpire and just proceeded forwards, in search of their pilot.

Sammy was used to dealing with such "customs", as her previous career had required her to travel to many exotic locations. Starlet decided to help Snow, or to at least provide her with a presence since she didn't speak the local language.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (14:42:06/10-26-16)
Sam was pleased with how well his project had turned out, though Jane didn't seem very appreciative (yet). Without acknowledging (or denying) that he'd had anything to do with the chaos they were leaving behind, he followed her through the gate. When she stopped to deal with the guard, he nodded to her in approval--since she, as the Johnson, had come on this trip, it was her responsibility to grease any wheels that needed it, and he liked that she recognized that. He followed the rest of the group, his walking stick tapping on the ground as he went.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:51:18/10-26-16)
The man looks Snow with contempt and spits a stream of some greenish-black juice from what ever he is chewing, then continues on his way. 

His assistance is not necessary though as you can see the bags from your flight have already been delivered to one of the few  planes here.  The sit on the tarmac next to the bottom half of a person whose top half in well inside the fuselage.  As you approach you can hear some very colorful language that you don't need a translator to decipher and noises which do not give you the greatest confidence in the plane's integrity, banging and cracking and tearing noises.

It has dual propellers and a rusted airframe, and looks like it should’ve been scrapped before any of you were born, and unlike the last time some of you flew in a vehicle that looked this decrepit, you just know that this piece of crap really is a piece of crap.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:57:10/10-27-16)
Snow laughs at the sight of the old plane.  "It looks like an old Turpolev.  This will be just like home and flying on Russian National Airways.  They use these things all the time.  Perfectly safe." 

She walks closer to the man and calls out.  "Hey, you must be Innocent Dobbin.  Black Mamba has vouched for us."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (01:32:12/10-27-16)
As she hears Snow calling out to the man, Clem coughs and says "Dobiri, Innocent Dobiri" under her breath. Looking at the plane, a chill goes down her spine, imagining whatever horrors could happen in this flying relic.

On the other hand, Sammy, being the world traveler that she is, looks at the plane and, although she has seen much better in her heyday, gives a sigh of relief to see that is is indeed in one piece. What would have scared her even more would have been something that was still under repair.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:28:48/10-27-16)
O'Connor started grinding his teeth at the guy's disrespect. He didn't know how much longer he could take this drek lying down. Once they were in Lagos, all bets were off. Once they identified Innocent Dobiri, he eyed the plane skeptically. He turned to Sammy, "Do you know how to levitate stuff? That thing looks like it'll crash from a light breeze and I doubt there's any parachutes onboard."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (05:00:51/10-27-16)
"I can' levitate you," Sammy said, however, I can make you think you are flying.  unfortunately that won't help much with the big splat at the end.  But don't worry.  Remember that helicopter we took into Seattle.  That also looked barely flyable and yet it worked."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (13:37:30/10-28-16)
Upon being hailed, the man removes himself from the fuselage, a large well abused wrench and a shower of rust accompanying him.

"I am Dobiri, you would be the passengers that were contracted for then?  Going to Lagos?" the African man spoke in practiced English.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (05:12:49/10-29-16)
Snow nods but waits for Sam or Clem to make the introductions.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:53:53/11-01-16)
As the team approaches the pilot waves to the bags, "Some of those are far too heavy, what are doing importing bricks?  You will need to lighten your load, but it doesn't matter, we won't be flying today anyway.  The airport in Lagos is having difficulty with it's new management, incoming flights have been shot down with stingers on approach, we will wait a day or two and let them sort things out."

Innocent Dobiri leads them into an empty hanger and then to a side building, which is apparently a makeshift waiting room or may have been a small office at some point.  Jane catches up to the group as they arrive in their temporary lodging.

Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (22:34:34/11-01-16)
Clem frowns once Jane arrives in the warehouse. "The 'bricks' are coming with us" said the ork, obviously not flinching. Sammy, meanwhile, was looking inside her bag, trying to figure out what she could and couldn't leave behind in a pinch.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (00:09:42/11-02-16)
O'Connor gave the pilot a severely sour look, "Let me guess we have to leave our stuff behind unless we pay you some kind of fee. Then all of a sudden everything will be just dandy. Right?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:34:50/11-02-16)
Snow looks around at the others.  She already knows that her bag is about 95% medical supplies that she considers to be essential.  She might be able to replace these items in Lagos, but it would likely be far more expensive.  Still, arriving and spending money to replace things left behind is better than not arriving at all.  As Jane arrives, Snow is sorting things in her mind to decide what are the really critical meds and what are only almost critical.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (17:53:21/11-02-16)
Sam frowned at Con's directness. The gun nut was right, of course, but he simply did not know how to talk to people. Leading Dobiri aside, he smiled at the pilot. "We appreciate your concern for our safety, but my companions' equipment is necessary. I believe there is an old tradition where airlines would allow overweight bags for a nominal fee. Is this not so? And how soon will we be able to take off? Our employer does not appreciate delays." He knew Jane was in a hurry, and figured she'd appreciate his expediting their departure.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:29:51/11-03-16)
"Maybe tomorrow, maybe day after, maybe day after that.  You don't want to wait for Dobiri?  You can always walk.  Baggage fee is 100 each, and you hold bag in your lap."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:09:32/11-03-16)
O'Connor gave a huff, this bulldrek was really starting to get on his nerves. This was suppose to be a fun adventure shooting up a lawless and exotic city. So far it was nothing but taking it up the hoop with all these incessant bribes. He turned to the group, "We're on the coast, Lagos is on the coast. If this guy doesn't want to do his job, we could find a boat."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (23:46:02/11-03-16)
Snow tries to pick up the local news feeds to see what is being reported about the affair in Lagos.  >>I am trying to access the local news feeds to see what is being reported, but if there is fighting there, would it not be at the port as well?  And I would think there is a high chance of encountering pirates as we travel along the coast.  I also remind you that any boat we find will likely be more derelict than this plane.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (00:24:27/11-04-16)
"I don't often say this, but Con might be right. 'Innocent Dobiri' is quickly losing his innocence and turning into 'Greedy Dobiri', which I have no patience for. A person should honour the price they quote, not try to fleece the people bringing them business." The calmness of Clem's voice didn't reflect her mood at all, which was mildly annoyed at all the hidden fees and ways with which the locals were trying to hustle.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (01:37:20/11-04-16)
O'Connor turned to Snow, "Fighting pirates sounds like a perk to me. Either way we need to get to Lagos right now. It'll be easier to fight off pirates than shoot down missiles with small arms. Not that Dobby here is willing to brave it."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:01:51/11-04-16)
Snow looks at her team, "Should we not see what Jane wants to do?  I am concerned that the voyage by water might take much longer than the flight would take, even with a day delay.  And fighting pirates might excite your libido, but it could just as easily lead to bullet holes in a crappy boat that sinks and leaves us stranded on an unfriendly shore.  Besides which, chartering the boat could be very expensive and the plane is already paid for.  All in all, I would rather take my chances in this plane that the boat.  But the real decision should be up to Jane, I think."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (04:08:11/11-04-16)
O'Connor then turned to Jane, "Yeah, this is your run and your call. But Didgeridoo over here is saying there's a delay between one to three day, maybe even more. You said that time is the key factor here, and do you really want to pay each of us half a week to sit here scratching our junk? So unless you're the one taking care of my junk, I'd rather move on and earn that pay. On the other hand, if you want to wait, I can take care of things for you too." The grin he gives the elf woman is an odd combination of part serious proposition and part trying to push her buttons.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (05:37:29/11-04-16)
Clem interjected with a chuckle "The good news is, there isn't much junk to scratch there," pointing at O'Connor. "The bad news, it would be as horrible as you imagine it. But in the end, we are at your disposal and will do what you think is best for the timeline, whether that be to take our chances with Dobiri or to look for alternate transportation."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (05:43:35/11-04-16)
O'Connor clutched at his heart with a flair of dramatism, "My darkest secrets revealed, how could you?" He straightened up with a mocking grin at Clem, "That does mean you admit to sleeping with me, though."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (07:17:35/11-04-16)
"Let's see what Jane has to say," Sammy said to the team, "and if really necessary, we'll leave behind some of those kilos of bullets you brought.  You can get a lot more very cheap in Lagos, from what I heard about it."

Then she looked at Snow.
"Can you try to find out what type of plane that is and what it's maximum take-off weight is," she asked.  Paying overweight was something she was accustomed to and while she wasn't a frequent traveler, she had been out in the boonies when they were shooting a movie in Saskatoon in the Algonkian-Manitou council.  There too they had to travel the last part in a small plane with weight limitations, which she remembered as being something of a bother for the technical staff.

Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:51:08/11-04-16)
Note to self: don't take this team to a casino, Sam thought to himself. He gave Dobiri a half-apologetic smile. "As you see, our group is extremely anxious to be on our way. I'm afraid that that one--" he nodded towards O'Connor"--might seriously take up your challenge of walking there. And he's bull-headed enough to actually pull it off. Of course, he's also hot-headed enough that displeasing him would be a bad idea. It's entirely possible that getting on his bad side would be more dangerous than the flight into Lagos. Just something to consider."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (11:04:17/11-04-16)
With an incredulous/horrified look, Clem looked back to O'Connor and said, in a silent voice so that Jane and Dobiri couldn't hear, "If seeing your junk is your criteria for 'sleeping' with you, then you have also slept with Torley and that lanky otaku Fionn."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (13:56:04/11-04-16)
Jane gives O'Conner an inscrutable look at his invitation and his information, moving on to the African with a shake of her head, "Black Mamba recommended you sir, so I can assume that you are a capable to know.  I don't want you to put your other cargo at risk, but I am in a hurry.  If we can't fly, perhaps there is another way besides walking.  If there is someone you could recommend, you can keep your fee as my thanks for the introduction.

Innocent considers her words and says, "I know of a pirate's cove approximately 50 kilometers down the coast that makes runs into Lagos and Victoria Island all the time.  I can arrange to try and get you there, but passage will be your own problem."

Snow's investigation into local chatter easily confirms the shake-up in power that is going on at the Lagos Airport.  Several corps are broadcasting warnings to any of their incoming short hop commuter-copters to approach VI  low from the ocean and to circumvent the city entirely.  Most of the other incoming air traffic has been rerouted.

Jane looks to Clem and Torley to get their input.

Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (21:25:00/11-04-16)
Clem picks up her bag as if ready to leave on the spot and with a nod of her head says, "Alright then, let's meet those pirates
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:01:46/11-04-16)
O'Connor shrugged at Clem's counter, "You're the one claiming to know what I'm like in the sack." When Jane decided on the pirate cove, O'Connor eagerly grabbed his bags. He put on a pirate accent, "Arr mateys! Let us take our leave of this hornswoggle to find passage across the waters."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:40:44/11-05-16)
At least someone's happy, Sammy thought.  She'd rather wanted to wait and go directly by plane, as it would be much safer, but apparently it was decided otherwise.

She turned to Jane and Dobiri.
"I don't know what they have in the way of technology around here," she said, "but could we get to Lagos if I conjure up a spirit to conceal the plane?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (14:29:18/11-05-16)
Snow is accessing the public information data base on the plane they are looking at to determine the weight of cargo and passengers that can be carried safely.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:03:27/11-05-16)
Jane seems somewhat interested in the idea, but Dobiri is not interested.  "No." he says flatly as he makes a call on his link, "Ahmjay, come to my plane, bring the truck."  Breaking the connection he tells you, "Ahmjay is a good driver, and he knows the route.  He will get you there very fast."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (22:19:20/11-05-16)
And just like that, the information Snow is gathering on the plane is nearly useless.  She smiles at the others and keeps looking, just in case the information becomes useful.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (22:33:09/11-05-16)
O'Connor grinned all the more with pirates now firmly their choice of transportation, "Is airport security going to hassle us on the way out? If we're hitting up some pirates I'd like to reassemble my rifle first."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (05:31:14/11-06-16)
"I think it's best to do it once we're outside of the airport perimeter," Sammy said, "just to avoid trouble."
She wasn't sure about the boat, but if that was what they were going to take, then so be it.  If she could conceal an airplane, she could also conceal a boat.

Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (13:09:52/11-06-16)
Snow considers something then sends a message to the others.   >>Team.  Snow.  Should I let people know that I can understand and speak some of the language or is that better left a secret for now?  And, Con?  There are quite a few swear words here if you want me to teach you some.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:56:14/11-06-16)
A few minutes later a blocky-looking beast of a vehicle comes driving down an access road.  It looks like it is entirely too tall and narrow to be stable, until you notice that a great deal of the body at the height of the wheels and lower comes to two sharp points.  It takes a ninety degree turn at speed when you fully expect to see it flipping on to its side. 

When it comes to a stop in front of you, you can tell it is heavily armored, aside from several jagged, watermelon sized holes in the body.  I heavy looking door swings open and a child, not more than a severely malnourished twelve, comes climbing down. 

"Ahmjay, I want you to take these people to [translation for Snow: Widow's Rapist Cove], come and get their bags."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (22:18:53/11-06-16)
Snow goes to the pile of bags and begins helping move them to the truck.  "Hello, Ahmjay, my name is Snow.  Where do you want me to stow these bags?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (23:07:28/11-06-16)
Surprised at the child drivin the truck, Clem looked around at her teammates. It seemed that Snow was unconcerned by the age of their new tour guide, but Clem insisted on keeping her luggage with her. "I'll take this with me, you never know when I might have to pull something out of my bag."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:29:33/11-06-16)
O'Connor nodded in agreement with Clem, "Yeah I'm keeping my gear within arm's reach." He wasn't fazed in the slightest at the condition or age of the driver. Underfed children making script by shady means were a dime a dozen in Redmond. He sent a reply to Snow, <[Recipient - Snow | Text Message]: Frag yeah I want to learn to curse out these slots in their own tongue.>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:04:46/11-07-16)
Snow shrugs.  "All I have in my bag are my medical things, some extra underwear, and some hygiene stuff, so it can go in the cargo bin."  She looks over to Sam and Starlet to see if they want to keep their bags with them or if she and Ahmjay can load thin in the storage area.  she smiles and sends one of the swear words to Con.  >>Con.  Here you go.  This one is a rather generic word, much like your drek is.  Krang, pronounced with a hard "a" as in krayng.  So you could say that this trip is already going into deep krang.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (04:45:40/11-07-16)
The boy looks somewhat upset with the team's assistance, but manages to grab Torley's bag from the pile before anyone can stop him.  He carries it to the back of the truck and climbs up a set of stairs that drops from the back.  The rear of the truck is quite cramped and small given the vehicle's size, with four center facing seats and any 'cargo' area essentially at hand from them already.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (06:02:45/11-07-16)
As he climbed into the truck O'Connor noted the seating capacity, *Four seats, and six passengers.* He quickly claimed one of the seats for himself. He decided to switch things up and winked at Torley as he patted his lap.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (07:08:57/11-07-16)
Clem let out a big sigh as she saw O'Connor motioning for Torley. The ork left it at that as she claimed a seat closest to the exit, making sure her shotgun and her SMG were assembled and chambered before sitting down.

[spoiler]EX-EX ammo in the shotgun and normal ammo in the SMG.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (07:21:20/11-07-16)
Sammy let the boy put her bag in the back of the truck, but she kept an eye out on it, to make sure the equipment wasn't damaged.  While there was little chance for that as she had packed the fragile stuff in the middle, surrounded by her clothes, she didn't want to take any chances.  Next she got into the truck and took a seat.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:48:15/11-07-16)
Snow puts her bag in the back and looks at Jane.  "Well, I guess you get to ride shotgun.  I don't weigh too much, so I guess I can ride for a while on Con's lap."  She turns to look at the man.  "Unless you were only making that offer for Sam?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (11:13:45/11-07-16)
Ahmjay pointed to a padded strap that was hanging loose by Con, and indicated that it could be clipped to the other side of the remans of a turret that once topped the vehicle.  "Gunner's Seat!" He said.  Also of note, the vehicle was probably built prior to Goblinization, so Sammy and Clem really can't sit on the same side of the truck.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (11:32:08/11-07-16)
"I would suggest putting either Clem or O'Connor into the turret," Sammy said, "just in case we enounter somthing unpleasant along the way."
She was fine as long as she had a hole to look through and there were some in this excuse of a truck.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (11:39:46/11-07-16)
Snow is still standing so looks up into the ruined turret.  "Not much up there of a turret, but maybe someone with a rifle could still use the hole in the roof to shoot from."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (19:41:33/11-07-16)
"Alright Con, you're on the turret. Sammy, sit over there and I'll sit here so things are balanced. In the event something happens, I'll be the first one out, Snow and Torley will stay in the vehicle if possible with Con shooting from the turret and Sammy will do whatever it is she can. Any questions?" Clem was giving her instructions not in a bossy way, but as a matter-of-fact way.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:22:57/11-08-16)
Snow nods.  "Got it, boss."  She moves out of the way so that Con can climb up into the turret seat then takes a seat next to Starlet so Sam can sit next to Clem.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (05:30:14/11-08-16)
O'Connor set up the so called gunner's seat and climbed up, "Hey kid, once we're outside the city limits, find a place to pull over for a minute. I still need to assemble my rifle."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (16:51:30/11-08-16)
Sam let the boy take his bag; it was nice for him to act as porter, after all. When Clem directed him to a seat, he climbed in and sat down, keeping his walking stick with him.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:52:01/11-09-16)
Although it takes some translation by Snow, Ahmjay will stop to allow people to get things from their bags and ready themselves.  The jungle as you approach it feels oppressive, made more so by the meters wide burn line at it's edge, which was recently made, but the plants are already reclaiming ground.  For the second time you are whacked with a wall of heat and humidity as you hurtle down a narrow trail under the canopy.  Though reflected light filters through, wind does not, and the vehicle's passage makes little air movement, despite a seemingly reckless speed.   

The jungle also holds another danger, with no glass at all on the vehicle and gaping holes in the body, you quickly realize that a wayward branch or vine could do serious damage to the unwary.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:50:01/11-10-16)
The metal armor of the truck makes the interior a sweat box and Snow makes a mental note to get better clothes when she gets to Lagos.  She had worn light clothing to allow for the heat, but she is sweating so much that it is clearly obvious that she has declined to wear a bra.  The holes in the sides of the truck provide scant airflow, but she sees a danger as well.  "I would not risk trying to look out these holes, or even get too close to them, as it could be possible for some branch or vine to strike at you."  She gives a soft laugh.  "Siberia would look good right now and it is asking a lot of any Russian to speak fondly of that place."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (19:28:41/11-10-16)
Clem's armour was taking a toll on her. She didn't want to take it off, but the assailing heat was forcing the ork to reconsider. Beads of sweat rolling down her back, Clementine took off her corset and left it in her bag, where her overcoat was already folded. She took out her SMG and shotgun, strapped the automatic to her waist and set the shotgun between her legs, both firearms with their safety locks engaged.

"Yeah, be weary of the holes. Besides, Con is on overwatch so there's nothing for us to do besides cook in this tin can."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:21:17/11-10-16)
The closeness of the truck, the moist hot air of the jungle, the steady rumble of the engine, the fatigue of a long flight, guess what happens next?

(Roll a Willpower[2] or Body[2] check, you choice, at -1 with additional -1 for worn armor in excess of 6 Ballistic or 4 Impact, -2 if both exceed those numbers)
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (23:23:55/11-10-16)
Sam was tucked safely in the interior of the truck, and while it wasn't easy to find a comfortable position, he soon found himself drifting off to sleep.

[spoiler]
Sam's got 2 WIL or 3 Body, and with his form-fitting half-body suit on, he's at 8/4 for armor. Which, if I'm reading Crossbow's directions properly, means I get a whopping 1 die to roll for a threshold 2 test. I think I'll just take the nap. ;)
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:11:26/11-11-16)
Snow is already nearly naked in the truck and does not relish stripping down more than she is already.  She reaches into her bag and pulls out some of the water bottles there and passes them out.  "It is not much and will not last long, but we need to keep hydrated.  Sam!  Sit up and drink some water."  She braces herself and stands, reaching up to hand Con one of the small bottles of water then moves to the front of the truck as it sways down the road.  She taps the driver on the shoulder and speaks in the local language.  "We need water badly.  Please find a place to stop where we can get some."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (05:20:34/11-11-16)
Sammy had taken off her armoured vest to make the seat a bit more comfy and herself as well.  While she was used to heat, in LA it was mostly a dry heat.  Add to that the jetlag (even though she had managed to get some sleep on the plane) and it was clear that she needed some extra rest.  Only the bumping of the truck and the uncomfortable position kept her a bit awake.

When Snow handed out water, she took some as she knew it was important.
"Thanks," she said to the Russian woman.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:40:56/11-13-16)
If anyone were able to witness the mumbled conversation that took place between Sammy and Snow as they drifted off into some semi-shared dream it might be highly amusing. Unfortunately, no one could as the combined sleep inducing effects took everyone in the truck, including your boss and young Ahmjay, your driver.
 
When you missed the turn and flipped into the brush, the jungle reached in to slap Clem and Con for two boxes of damage.  Snow, who in her stupor had actually unrestrained herself and lurched from her seat, was tumbled around inside the cabin, taking 5 boxes.  The two Sams simply had their heatsleeps disrupted by the crash.

(OOC: Everyone will also have to resist a 7S attack from the rollover and crash, resisted by impact armor, with Torley getting 3 bonus dice for being fully restrained, Sammy and Clem getting 1 for partial and no bonus for Snow and O’Conner as they are unrestrained.)
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:32:46/11-14-16)
Snow is startled out of her imaginary conversation with Ahmjay when the vehicle leaves the road and rolls a couple of times before coming to rest with the driver's side on the ground.  Unfortunately, she had actually been able to undo her seat restraints before the accident and had been tossed about the interior of the vehicle like a rag doll.  She feels blood dripping into her eyes from what has to be a deep cut to her forehead.  She gingerly feels herself out and determines that she does not have any broken bones.  Thankful to be alive, she looks around for the medical bag and begins calling out to the others to see how they are doing.  She spies her bag just out off to the side and grabs it up, reaching for the med kits inside.  She is painfully aware that she is badly injured and that the kits might do a better job than she can right now.

She can hear moans and curses from the others in the back, but a quick look at the driver's cabin shows her that Jane and Ahmjay seem to be unconscious.  She groans herself as she maneuvers to the front of the cab to make sure that the two there are still alive then hooks each to a med kit sensor and checks their vitals.  After getting the leads attached and the biomonitors running, she has to wipe her face clear of blood again and remembers that she had mad a purchase of a bandana scarf at the airport.  Pulling it from her pocket, she wraps it around her head so that she can see without the effect of blood dripping into her eyes.

Snow looks over her shoulder and calls out to the others.  "OK.  Got two unconscious up here.  I heard all the rest of you moaning so I know you are alive, but do any of you have any obvious broken bones or lots of bleeding?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (07:37:02/11-14-16)
Fighting through the daze and pain from her injuries, Clem tries to kick the door to the car open but the thing is clearly jammed. Shouting, she asks "Con, do you see anything?" before trying to make her way through the front of the truck, passing by the rest of the team and exiting from the windshield, going over their driver. At the first chance she gets, she dives for cover, shotgun at the ready.

[spoiler]Perception 3 + Intuition 4 + Perceptive 1 + Actively Looking 3 + Reception Enhancers 2 + Vision Enhancement 3 (http://orokos.com/roll/456026): 16d6t5 6 no glitches. Been a while since I had a decent roll.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:44:28/11-14-16)
Sam was jolted awake, surprised to find himself dangling from his restraints. When Snow called back, he fought through the pain enough to do as much of a check as he could. To his surprise, he couldn't find any significant injuries. "I'm good, I think. Not sure about Sammy," he called back. He started looking around to see if there was a way he could get out of his seat without dropping directly onto the orc actress.

[spoiler]Google images for "maxxpro interior" show the rear seats facing each other, so I'm just going to assume that Sam ended up in the one that's now at the top of the truck. Because why not. :)[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (12:55:11/11-14-16)
Sammy was dozing when suddenly she was shocked awake as the truck crashed into the bush.  Luckily she had buckled up, as she only felt a bit of pain where the restraints had cut into her body.
"I'm fine," she shouted, "Popping out for a quick astral recon."

She let the others know she would be out of her body so they wouldn't be alarmed, before slumping back into her seat as her consciousness left her body.  She just floated on top of the truck and looked around in the astral.  Normally spirits, metahumans, critters and other living things would show up.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (19:55:12/11-14-16)
O'Connor shook his head, trying to fight off the daze of the crash. After regaining his senses he scrambled out of the truck as fast as he could, not really caring about who he had to trample over to get out. Once outside of the truck, O'Connor leveled his rifle in the opposite direction of Clem.

[spoiler]
Intuition 3 + Perception 3 + Visual 2 + Actively Looking 3 - CM 1 = Pool 10
Perception (Visual) (http://orokos.com/roll/456184): 10d6t5 3
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:32:50/11-15-16)
You city slickers are smack-dab in the middle of the honest-to-god African jungle, the only way you can even tell which way the road is is from the broken plants that were killed when the truck rolled.  The shock of silence caused by the crash is already dying as the jungle resumes its activities.

There is nothing but the jungle to see at the moment.

Astral space is simply overwhelming, once Sammy is finally able make her way through the brush cradling the gray shell of the truck, it is similar to the moment she stepped out of the limo the night of the Oscars, times ten, from every direction.  The jungle is not simply alive but Awakened, and the astral landscape is like a well lit cave.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (21:58:51/11-15-16)
Talking to O'Connor, Clem asked him in a low voice "Do you have a visual on anything? I can't see drek on my side."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (22:41:42/11-15-16)
Snow is relieved that the other four team members seem to be at least up and active.  She is still concerned that the other two remain unconscious. Both are breathing shallowly and an examination of the biomonitor readouts tells her that they are both badly injured, but not in danger of expiring soon.  Unless the fragging heat and oppressive humidity get to them before she can heal them.  She sets the kits to run a diagnostic of the conditions of Ahmjay and Jane.

Unfortunately, Snow realizes that she is not at peak performance and that she should at least try to heal some of her own injuries before trying to do anything more than run diagnostics on her patients.  She hooks herself up to one of the kits and lets it do its job, immediately feeling a bit better.  Her head stops feeling like Clem is beating on it and she can think a little clearer.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (00:06:21/11-16-16)
O'Connor couldn't make out anything through the foliage of the jungle, "Nothing on my side either. Sammy, you see anything?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (02:57:29/11-16-16)
"I'll keep an eye here, go check the road to see if anything is coming our way. Keep within eyesight and switch to Matrix voice" announced Clem to O'Connor. Placing her subvocal microphone and keeping O'Connor in the corner of her eye as he was walking back towards the road, the ork asked Snow out loud "How's it looking in there, Snow? Can you tell me if you can see who took us off the road through the Matrix?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (03:07:45/11-16-16)
Sammy got back to her body just in time to hear O'Connor's question.
"I only got a lot of jungle," she said, "an entire awakened jungle actually.  Who's idea was this not to wait for the airplane?  Now we're stuck in some fracking jungle."

While she had grown up in a jungle, that was an urban jungle, not a nature one.  About the only advantage was that the air was clean here, although she kept her respirator on because with her asthma, she would probably have issues with all the pollen in the air and she didn't want to take any chances.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (04:03:19/11-16-16)
O'Connor followed the path of destruction through the brush to get back to the road. He hid among the foliage as he kept watch.

[spoiler]
Infiltration
Agility 5 - Default 1 - CM 1 = Pool 3
Infiltration (http://orokos.com/roll/456556): 3d6t5 3

Perception
Intuition 3 + Perception 3 + Visual 2 - CM 1 = Pool 7
Perception (Visual) (http://orokos.com/roll/456557): 7d6t5 3
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (11:44:52/11-16-16)
Sam carefully unstrapped himself so as to not land on Sammy. Since Snow had hooked herself into a medkit, he knew he couldn't help her, so instead he started taking stock of what was available inside the truck.

[spoiler]Perception, searching the truck for anything useful (working 2-way radio, water, food, or other gear, in pretty much that order of preference):

INT[5] + Perception[5] + Visual[2] + Actively Looking[3] - Wounds[1] (http://orokos.com/roll/456627): 14d6t5 4
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (18:53:44/11-16-16)
Torley is unable to find anything of use in the truck, it seems to have been stripped of any electronics it may have once had, though his search, when it reaches the front, does allow him to locate the hydraulic release for the rear hatch (though with the truck on its side it will still need to be muscled into a down position) and a little 4-position control that looks like it has never been used that says, in English, WINCH.

O'Conner is able to find the road, such as it is.  The trail is clear in both directions, the way back being a fairly long straightaway that veers off sharply at the point the truck left the road.  Looks like their driver had simply dozed off on the stretch and gotten tumbled by an embankment.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (21:30:07/11-16-16)
Snow removes the leads of the kit and stores them away then reaches for one of the small bottles of water in the bag.  >>I really do not think anyone did this to us.  My opinion is that Amjay was suffering from the heat and humidity and simply passed out while driving.  On that note, I have enough bottles of water her for each of us to have two, but that will be it unless we find some water.  Is there a stream nearby that we can use?  It will be very important that we stay hydrated.  I have both Jane and Ahmjay as injured and unconscious, but they were buckled in to their injuries are mostly bruising and dehydration.  I am pretty badly injured and it is affecting my ability to treat the injuries we all have sustained.  Starlet, Are you able to do any magical healing?  If so, let me try my best to see what I can do then you can take over.  Does that make sense?<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (22:01:12/11-16-16)
Relieved to have found something at least potentially useful and at Snow's recovery, Sam sent a message to the group. Looks like the truck has a winch; we may be able to pull it back onto the road. How do things look out there?
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (06:39:21/11-17-16)
O'Connor radioed the team, "Road's clear. I'll keep a lookout for now, but I don't think anything forced us off the road."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (07:38:45/11-17-16)
<So the kid just fell asleep?> asked Clem as she lowered her shotgun and walked back towards the truck. She then asked Torley to <Open the back door, we have to get people out if we're going to put this truck back on the road.> Once Torley unlocks the door, Clem tries to force it open but gives up after a decent effort. She helps people exit the vehicle through the broken windshield instead.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (03:26:58/11-18-16)
"If it's only bruises and such, I can't do much," Sammy said, "The spell only works on more serious injuries for some reason I don't know."

As she got out of the truck, She had a look at the vehicle, but she was no mechanic.
"I can try to summon an earth spirit to help get the truck back on the road," she said to the team, "and if I can ask more of it, I can ask it afterwards to use its guard power on the driver.  It should at least keep him alert until we get to our destination.  How is he by the way?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:49:14/11-19-16)
Snow does her best to help get Jane and Ahmjay out through the windshield then passes the kits and her medical bag out before making her own way to the ground outside, where she hooks the kits back up to the unconscious pair.  Standing, she walks around to the others to make sure that no one is playing hero while being badly injured.  It is almost comical that the medic should be the one who is hurt the most.

Returning to where Jane and Ahmjay are laying, she replies to Starlet.  "The diagnostics indicate that they are merely injured, but not seriously.  I would expect them to come round soon.  Conversely, I feel quite injured and that is certainly affecting my abilities.  Likewise, these are far from optimal conditions, which prevents me from being as good as I should be."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (10:39:42/11-19-16)
Now she was a bit closer, Sammy could see that Snow had more than just a couple of bruises.
"Let me try to get you up," she said.  She gathered the mana, but the strangeness of the location made it more difficult and the spell didn't do what she expected of it.
"I'm sorry, but I'll have to get a bit more familiar with the manasphere in this location.  This is the best I can do at the moment.  Now, let's get the truck back on the road."

She started casting again, as always using chants and hand movements she had learned to reduce the drain, this time summoning a spirit of earth.  Again she had some trouble and she knew she could only ask one thing of the spirit.  As they had to check the winch first, she placed the spirit on standby in the astral and looked at the rest.
"I have a spirit, fairly strong but I don't think strong enough to do it on its own," she said, "So let's check if we have ropes or anything to help out."

[spoiler]
Healing spell on Snow (force 5):
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 =11 (http://orokos.com/roll/457442): 11d6t5 2
unfortunately I only heal you 2P (bad dice roll).

drain 1S (damage value -2, minimum drain 1):
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/457443): 9d6t5 2
no drain

spirit of earth (force 5):
magic 5 + summoning 3 =8 (http://orokos.com/roll/457444): 8d6t5 2
spirit counter roll:
spirit counter roll 5 (http://orokos.com/roll/457445): 5d6t5 1

drain 2 (spirit hits x2):
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/457447): 9d6t5 1
1S, so I have 3S in total, I'm at -1 now.

1 have 1 service.  An earth spirit has strenght and body F+4, so 9 on both.  It can lift 135 kg + 15 per net hit on a body + strenght test.  But since it probably has to push and not lift and you can push more than you can lift, I'd say it might actually be able to move the truck by itself.  Crossbow?
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:13:46/11-29-16)
Snow nods to Starlet.  "Thank you very much.  Anything helps.  I guess I will just have to heal normally.  Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to wait for a chance to rest.  I will leave these two hooked up to the kits and try to help move the truck.  How can I help?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (03:39:07/11-29-16)
"Maybe see if you can get it to start again," Sammy said, "You can make steer and have the propulsion of the truck help my spirit and the winch to put it back on the road."

She looked at Torley.
"Are you ready with that winch?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:47:21/11-29-16)
It will actually be a bit of a task to figure out the winch and get it anchored in such a way that it will help the Spirit get the truck rolled back on to its wheels, beyond the ‘magic hour’ that Snow has to help all of her patients, so after being assured that Jane and Ahmjay are comfortable and out of the way she goes about her duties treating Sammy, Torley, Clem and then walking out to the road to help O’Conner.

[spoiler]First Aid rolls for Snow (http://orokos.com/roll/460626): 4#12d6t5 2 8 5 2  I posted the order before I rolled, so yes, that means that Torley gets the best work done.  Sorry.
[/spoiler]

While she is doing what she can for the ex-ganger, the spirit makes its attempt to right the truck, aided greatly by the strategically placed cable, a slightly favorable slope and the low center of gravity on the MRAP.

Spirit Lifting (http://orokos.com/roll/460634): 18d6t5 8

The engine rumbles to life despite a cough or two that worries your non-mechanically inclined crew, and it takes nothing except a several times re-positioned winch cable to slowly and loudly drag the truck back to the road.

[spoiler]OOC It will take an hour roughly to drag the truck back to the road, this will involve a lot of work clearing brush and several false starts by your, again, non-mechanically inclined, but fairly intelligent, crew.  I would like to see a post from each of you (at least) about your actions up to when the truck reaches the road.  Please note that Ahmjay and Jane are in the area where the truck started unless you indicate otherwise.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (21:59:18/11-29-16)
Thankful for Snow's help with her injuries, Clem set out to clear any obstructions around the wheels and all other things that might hinder the truck. With her sword it was easy to clear a path to the road, and she tried to make sure nobody was in the vicinity when the vehicle got moving again, to make sure no one would get crushed should the truck suddenly tip over or derail further.

[spoiler]So Clem's physical injuries should be completely healed now.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (22:41:44/11-29-16)
Snow applied antiseptic and bandaged the gashes and abrasions O'Connor received in the crash. Normally O'Connor would've refused what he viewed as useless mothering, but if half of what he'd heard about Africa's diseases were true, then it was a good idea to play things safe. He allowed the elf medic to go about her work with minimal grumbling on his part.

After Snow finished, O'Connor returned to keeping watch. Although it seemed that their crash was just an accident, that didn't mean something couldn't come strolling along. Sammy said that the jungle was Awakened, which promised that all kinds of mystical drek was just waiting to strike if given half a chance.

[spoiler]
Snow's first aid check did not pass the threshold of two, so O'Connor remains at two boxes of physical damage (and five stun).
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:40:09/11-30-16)
Sammy helped Clem with clearing the way for the truck, at least those parts the truck hadn't cleared when it went to where it was now.  Then she went back to the Jane and Ahmjay and checked them out, throwing in a healing spell if needed, while her spirit was helping to get the truck back on the road.  Then she turned to Snow.
"Let's bring them a bit closer to the road," she said, "That makes it easier to keep an eye on them and the truck at the same time."

When the truck was back on the road, Sammy thanked her spirit before it departed back to the metaplanes.

[spoiler]
If either Jane or Ahmjay have physical damage (I'm not sure if that was ever stated), I'll use a healing spell.  If they don't have damage, no magical healing can help.  Both spells are at force 5

Jane
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 - 1 wounds = 10 (http://orokos.com/roll/460787): 10d6t5 3
So I heal a maximum of 3P

drain 1 (damage -2)
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/460789): 9d6t5 5
no drain

Ahmjay
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 - 1 wounds = 10 (http://orokos.com/roll/460790): 10d6t5 4
I heal a maximum of 4P

drain 2
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/460791): 9d6t5 5
again no drain

If they are still unconscious after my healing, I'll ask Snow to help me bring them closer to the road so we can keep an eye on them and the truck at the same time, unless the situation indicates they are safer where they are.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (03:10:21/12-01-16)
Snow walks about the rest of the team, doing her best to heal any of the wounds she can.  She grimaces as she tries unsuccessfully to give any real aid to Con.  She blushes a bit as she unhooks a med kit's lead from him.  "Sorry, Con.  I am afraid my wounds and the quality of my current doctor's office have conspired against my efforts to heal you any..  Perhaps Starlet will have better luck with one of her spells.  I need to get back to see if I have managed to kill my unconscious patients yet."

Snow turns from Con to go back to help Starlet move Jane and Ahmjay closer to the road.  She cheers when the truck is finally back on the road and helps the others put her patients inside the vehicle before turning to the others.  "So, who had the skills to drive this thing?  I have minimal skill with ground transportation, but need to point out that I am not operating at full capacity yet and should probably not be your first choice as driver."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (23:22:56/12-01-16)
Sam felt much better after Snow's tender ministrations, and did his best to help get the truck back on the road. Luckily, the winch seemed to be old enough that his issues with technology didn't kick in, and they were eventually standing back on what passed for a road. "I can drive, though Clem might be better; I frequently rely on the Gridlink back home."

[spoiler]Sam's got a whopping 3 DP for pilot groundcraft, since his reaction is abysmal. :)[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (03:02:57/12-02-16)
Snow chuckles.  "I am certainly not much better.  Andrew has been chiding me to get some driving lessons.  Looking at our situation here, that might have been a good idea."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (05:04:58/12-02-16)
"And I used to be either too poor to have moterised transport or I was considered too important to drive myself, so I also never learned," Sammy said, "How is our driver actually after Snow's and my healing?  Any improvement?"
She went over to have a look.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:08:35/12-02-16)
Snow walks with Starlet to where her patients are still unconscious and kneels by the medkit to check the bio monitor readouts.  "Still no change, although I would expect them to wake up soon.  The monitors do not indicate any serious problems, but they are still out of it.."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (15:58:54/12-02-16)
"Let me check in the astral," Sammy said, cursing herself for not thinking about it earlier.  She switched her sight to the astral and had a look, but the life in the jungle overwhelmed her view.
"I can't see much," she said, "there's too much interference from the jungle around us."

[spoiler]
first Jane, then the driver.
intuition 3 + assensing 3 -1 wounds =5 (http://orokos.com/roll/461756): 2#5d6t5 2 1
I doubt I can find a reason why they are still out, unless I have modifiers I don't know about.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (18:17:22/12-02-16)
"Alright, let's just load them in the back and I will drive. Snow, can you find me where we're going, or at least a map of the region?" Once Starlet was done checking through the astral, Clem carefully loaded the two unconscious bodies into the back of the truck through the same way they had taken them out, and indicated O'Connor take his position back in the turret.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (11:39:11/12-04-16)
Farai was getting anxious, it had been a few days since the captains had decided to send this little raiding party inland to do some foraging and collection, and they barely were able to keep themselves fed, let alone collect anything to bring back to the boats.
At least the others had found that old woman to satisfy their urges last night, the ten-year old was getting some of those looks again.
When they heard the commotion Akene had been quick to get them moving, but the fool had taken forever to get them to the right location, and the foreigners were almost ready to move again when the raiders had them in sight.
They intended to simply burst into view, this many armed pirates in a truck was more than capable of cowing a few oyibos without a fight, but Farai had his shiny black AK ready, just in case.

The truck rolled into view down the path, the crowded bed packed with men, visibly armed.  They stopped a good distance away and a man climbed down from the cab and started towards them, a couple of older boys jumping out to follow him.
One boy had his rifle slung over his shoulder and was chewing some kind of leaf, the other had no strap on his and carried it like a sack of groceries.
The lead man had only a holstered sidearm, and waved in greeting as he walked up and spoke in the local tongue, “Looks like you had an accident.”

[spoiler] The timing here is a little hinky, I am figuring you heard the truck just as you all were about to mount up.  The only one in your truck is Torley, running the winch to spool it in after finishing the recovery. [/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (12:07:29/12-04-16)
Snow looks at the new arrivals with some concern, glad that Con had remained hidden in the foliage and was able to warn them of the impending arrival of the truck.  If the old winch had not been so loud, all of them might have heard the new vehicle before it had arrived.  Granted, it would be silly to think that anyone in this jungle would go about unarmed, but this many men....and boys...armed is a bit much.  She steps to the side of the truck, but well within an easy jump back into cover, hoping that the presence of a woman with her shirt plastered to every curve of her torso would distract the men and give the others a chance to get into position.  She tries to get a good count of the men remaining in the old truck as she replies in English, using arm motions to emphasize her points and keep the men focused on her.  "Hello.  Do you speak English?  I seem to have had an accident and might be lost.  Can you help?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (12:24:39/12-04-16)
The man shakes his head and tries again in thickly accented French, "Don't talk English, some French, accident?" he says, not really looking at Snow, but taking in the group as a whole.  The boys with him are a different story, her effect on them is physical and apparent, the one chewing actually stops and gapes.  She hears a comment from the trucks that was fairly disgusting, with accompanying laughter that is harshly silinced.  Five more appear around the truck, but the bed still looks full.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (12:39:15/12-04-16)
Snow shrugs, the movement accentuating her breasts for those among the other men who are watching her chest and shakes her head at their apparent leader, switching to a few words of the French she has just picked up.  "Yes, accident.  Can help with water and food?"

At the same time, she sends a note to the team.  >>Not sure if I can delay him too much longer.  There seems to be quite a few of them.<<

[spoiler]I am off to watch my granddaughter in her state gymnastics meet.  Back later.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (13:02:58/12-04-16)
Sammy moved a bit so she had some cover from the truck but could still see the other truck.
I can throw some fireballs or do my illusion of armed men if you need to. she texted to the team.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (15:41:42/12-04-16)
The moment he spotted the approaching vehicle, O'Connor had his rifle trained on it. As people started exiting, he flipped the fire selector over to full-auto and zeroed in on the guy talking to Snow. He was getting a bad feeling about this group, and hoped Clem gave the order to fire soon. He might very well force the issue if any more got out of the truck.

[spoiler]
Simple Action: Take Aim
Simple Action: Take Aim
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (17:41:09/12-04-16)
*What now?* thought Clem as the truck was approaching. The ork sent a <at the first sign of agression, shoot the leader Con. Sammy, could you shoot a fireball at the truck?> to the team, knowing O'Connor had them down his sights.

With Snow trying to negotiate with the leader, Clem simply told her to "casually get behind cover as you continue talking to them, Snow. Tell them to leave," as she took the safety off her shotgun. The firearm at the ready as she was walking backwards towards one of the nearest bigger trees able to give her sufficient cover, Clem slowly raised her shotgun at the ready.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (21:45:34/12-04-16)
As she receives Clem's message, Snow nods as if to herself and judges that she is now out of Con's line of fire and close enough to the rear of the truck to dive for cover if necessary.  She continues to look at the leader as if she is waiting for an answer to her question, although she is pretty sure exactly what her fate would be if her companions were not here to make sure it would not happen.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (09:10:47/12-05-16)
Listening from inside the truck, Sam was pretty sure that the man was speaking French. Unfortunately, that wasn't a language he was overly familiar with. Should probably work on that, he thought to himself. Trying to stay low so that the newcomers couldn't see him through the windows, he slipped into the driver's seat. Snow--I'm afraid he's using a language I'm not good in. You're going to have to handle the chatting. Clem, I might be able to ram them, though I have no idea how quickly this beast can get up to speed, he sent to the group.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (13:45:06/12-05-16)
Give me a little time to prepare before you start shooting, Sammy texted to the group.  She then made sure she was behind the truck and cast increased reflexes.  As soon as she was ready, which didn't take all that long, she texted her readiness to the group.

[spoiler]
increase reflexes, force 2
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 -1wounds =10 (http://orokos.com/roll/462945): 10d6t5 4

+1 IP, +1 initiative

drain 3
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/462946): 9d6t5 3
no drain

[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (08:07:04/12-09-16)
The man who has been doing the talking doesn't seem terribly concerned as Clem raises her weapon, though he does stop walking. The boys to either side also stop, the one still staring at Snow while the other shifts to actually bring his weapon to a muzzle down ready.

"Yes, we have water," turning to call back to the truck "Kimbe, come here, bring water." in the local tongue.There is some shifting at the truck and three more come forward, holding containers.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (14:27:43/12-10-16)
The men (older teens?) come forward, each carrying a weapon and a pouch of water, they are directed in front of the leader, breaking Clem's line of sight, and stopped. 

"Please, come get water." he says in halting French to Snow.

Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:37:40/12-11-16)
Snow sees the potential danger coming and is unsure of what she should do, so she sends a message to the party.  >>What is my play, Boss?  From what I can understand, he has not ordered any drugs to be placed in the water, but I certainly do not trust him.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (18:12:27/12-11-16)
Still staring down the leader down the barrel of her gun, Clem replied <What does he want? I can't understand a word he is saying.>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (22:11:28/12-11-16)
>>So far, he has just noticed the obvious accident we have had and offered to help.  I asked him if he had any water and he had these three guys come with what looks like water bags and asked me to come get them.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (04:48:45/12-12-16)
<Tell him to leave the water skins on the ground and to back away> said Clem, not liking the situation at all.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:52:08/12-12-16)
Snow looks at the men with the water skins and continues in her broken French.  "Please leave the water bags.  I am sure that you must feel that we are a bit nervous about being out here.  I could offer you some of the small amount of money I have for the water. 

>>I am telling them that I only have a small amount of money but would pay them for the water if they leave the bags with us.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (01:49:09/12-15-16)
Sammy wasn't sure what the best way of working was, so for now she kept quiet and alert.  She, like most of the team, couldn't understand a word of what was said.
'That's what you get from these rush jobs,' she thought, 'no time to do proper legwork to make sure we have the translation software we need.'

She hoped things would be resolved quickly now, so they could continue.  This mission had started of bad and had only become worse.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (14:41:02/12-16-16)
"Money for water yes, and passage, protection.  You come get."

The leader waves her to him, clearly unconcerned about the shotgun.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (15:43:01/12-16-16)
O'Connor kept his rifle trained on the leader as he started grinding his teeth. They hadn't done anything aggressive yet, but it seemed that they were waiting to take Snow hostage before doing so. If it was solely up to him, he'd have mowed them all down by now. He really hoped Clem gave the order soon, it just seemed inevitable.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (15:43:47/12-16-16)
Not speaking the language, Sam couldn't be sure, but his gut told him that things weren't going well, and Snow seemed to be projecting far more nervousness, uncertainty, and general weakness than she should. Trying to think of a way to get rid of the locals, he sent a message to the group: Snow, do you have this, or want me to try something?
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:58:11/12-17-16)
Snow grins and considers her options, which are not all that bad right now.  She is out in the open, but not too far from the edge of the truck.  She might be able to leap for cover, but is a bit concerned that her wounds might affect her ability to do that successfully..  She nods her head at the leader of the gang and says, "How much to get to the coast?"

  >>Right now the guy wants me to come forward to pay him for the water bags.  Not sure that is my best option.  He has offered to escort us to where we are going, and I have asked him what the cost is.  They have not proven to be hostile, but I am not sure of their intentions.  So far they have only seem women.  Do I continue this line, Boss, or do we go to a different plan?<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (13:47:50/12-17-16)
"You come, get water." He says, waving you forward.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (19:19:39/12-17-16)
<How much for the whole package?> answered Clem, wanting to explore all the options before deciding on anything.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (23:03:00/12-17-16)
Snow takes one step forward, as if really interested in the offer.  "How much for the water and the protection?"

>>I just asked him how much for the water and the protection.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (05:33:34/12-18-16)
Don't worry, I can stunbolt any one person who makes a grab at you without accidentally shooting you, Sammy texted to Snow, while she kept an eye out on the guys near the truck but also glanced at the jungle from time to time, in order not to be surprised from that side.  She also checked out the leader and the rest of guys she could see in the astral.  While Snow was busy, she could try to gather as much intel as possible on their possible adversaries.

[spoiler]
I'll do a full assensing on the leader, and I'll glance at the rest for obvious cyberware (I'll do 2 rolls, one for the leader, one for all the rest).  For the leader I try to get a feeling for his mental state (emotions can also be read on the astral if I recall correctly (AFB at the moment).

leader:
intuition 3 + assensing 3 =6 (http://orokos.com/roll/467740): 6d6t5 3

rest:
intuition 3 + assensing 3 =6 (http://orokos.com/roll/467741): 6d6t5 3

perception on jungle:
intuition 3 + perception 2 + enhancers 2 + actively looking 3 =10 (http://orokos.com/roll/467742): 10d6t5 3
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (15:39:48/12-18-16)
Snow slips into AR so she can get a better look at the icons near her, focusing on the leader.  She uses Matrix Perception to try to get the ID code of the man, just in case she needs to use it to spoof his gun.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:19:24/12-19-16)
The leader simply continues to encourage you to come to him.  Occasionally adding, "Come, come." in his pidgin French.

None of the others besides yourselves are registering any kind of PAN.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:02:46/12-22-16)
>>I am going to step back to see what his reaction is and tell him I do not need the escort.  Be ready.<<

Snow gives the man a small shake of the head and takes two steps back to get closer to the corner of the truck, ready to dive for cover if necessary.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (01:20:04/12-22-16)
Clem said to the rest of the team, but particularly O'Connor, <Wait for me to shoot first, and target the leader.>

The ork held her aim on the leader.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:54:01/12-27-16)
This standoff was starting to drag on, and it was pissing O'Connor off. These thugs weren't going to attack until they had Snow as a hostage, so why wait for that to happen? If Clem didn't attack soon, he was.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:43:23/12-28-16)
Snow takes one final step back and is now in position to be able to just move behind the truck and use it for cover.  >>None of these guys has anything wireless so I have nothing to control.  I am ready to back the play, Boss.<<
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:57:01/12-28-16)
O’Conner hears the distinct sound of carried weaponry, softly, off to his right, deep in the brush at the same moment that Starlet sees the men moving through the brush to the left side of the road.  Clearly the pirates are using the negotiations and conversation to try and flank the group to either side.

(OOC: pretty much everyone is holding an action to react at this point, so the successful perception checks will let give O’Conner and Starlet first right to act against anyone on the path or the attackers they each noticed before all hell breaks loose.)
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:00:06/12-28-16)
Combat Round 1, Initiative Pass 1
O'Connor opened fire on the leader, "They're flanking!"

[spoiler=Automatics: Narrow Full Burst]
Agility 5 + Automatics 4 + Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 2 - Recoil 3 - CM 1 = Pool 9
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/470654): 7d6t5 3
Smartlink (http://orokos.com/roll/470991): 2d6t5 1
Edge to re-roll misses
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/470655): 4d6t5 0
Smartlink (http://orokos.com/roll/470993): 1d6t5 1

Total 5 hits

Damage
Colt M23 6P + Explosive Rounds 1P + Narrow Full Burst 9P = 16P + net hits

EDIT: Forgot to add smartlink
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (01:47:56/12-29-16)
At Con's warning, Snow steps lightly to the side, gaining the cover of the truck as she draws her Predator and looks around for a target.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (07:14:18/12-30-16)
combat round 1, init pass 1

With so many people looking at the main group, Sammy decided to take out the flanking group.  She ducked behind the truck and fireballed the group sneaking up on her side.  That way she also showed the rest of the group where they were without having to say something.

[spoiler]
fireball, placing the center so that as many as possible are in it.  Force 5
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 =11 (http://orokos.com/roll/470988): 11d6t5 2
use edge to reroll misses:
reroll using edge 9 (http://orokos.com/roll/470989): 9d6t5 3
so 5 hits in total

they can roll reaction to counter, then damage is 5 + net hits (P), soaked with body + half impact armour.
Also, if I recall correctly, bullets (and handgranades) can explode if exposed to great heat or flame.  I'm not sure how this works in game, but it might be an additional effect.


drain 7:
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/470990): 9d6t5 3
4S, so I'm now in my -2s.

[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (04:45:50/01-01-17)
Clem fired as soon as she heard the first gunshot. In those situations, it was always better to be on the upper hand and then ask questions than the opposite.

[spoiler]Held Action - Agility 8 + Firearms Group 4 + Take Aim 2 - Firing from cover 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/471361): 12d6t5 5 no glitches. I decided to skip the recoil and recoil modifiers since they cancelled each other out. Narrow spread, so +5 AP but also +2 damage. With the bullets and all, the damage would come to 11P + net hits.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:17:54/01-18-17)
Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that when a person is explosively decapitated by weapons fire, the body will do one of two things.  Either it will simply not register the loss, and do nothing until it falls to the ground, or there will be some frenetic activity with no real purpose, spasms or random movement about an area.

This encounter will not add to that knowledge base, as the microsecond after O’Conner’s shot decapitates the envoy Snow had been speaking to, Clementine’s shotgun blast destroys 95% of the connective tissue in the man’s torso. 

The young escorts of the man are not only sprayed with gore, like everyone nearby, but each are additionally “gifted” with one of his arms.  The boy with some awareness of the situation is cuffed by the right arm, spoiling his chance to effectively return fire, and the boy enamored with Snow’s charms actually catches the left, which he stares at as dumbly as he did the previous bits of anatomy that had caught his attention.

The ones who brought out the water are scrambling for some cover in the brush and drawing weapons, and the magical conflagration that consumes one side of the road eliminates any threat beyond some high degree of burn.  That leaves 3 attackers of any consequence, the two sneaking up on O’Conner’s flank, and a rifleman in the truck who had been aiming at Clementine as long she had been aiming at her target.  The rest of the locals don’t really have the wherewithal to be involved immediately.

Bad guys shooting (http://orokos.com/roll/476725): 2#6d6t5 2 3 8d6t5 1
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (00:14:48/01-19-17)
O'Connor laughed devilishly at the gorey display of what a burst of explosive rounds and a close range shotgun blast did to a body. As he advanced from his hiding spot out into the open, he turned his attention to the two on his flank. Even with his injuries, O'Connor easily sidestepped the first burst of fire and ducked beneath the second.

[spoiler=Full Dodge]
Reaction 8 + Dodge 7 + Improved Dodge 2 + Ranged 2 - CM 1 = Pool 18
Dodge (http://orokos.com/roll/476773): 18d6t5 5

Reaction 8 + Dodge 7 + Improved Dodge 2 + Ranged 2 - CM 1 - Previous Attack 1 = Pool 17
Dodge (http://orokos.com/roll/476774): 17d6t5 8
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (08:10:06/01-19-17)
The bullet fired by the rifleman aimed at Clementine betrayed the shooter's lack of experience as it buried itself deep in the tree the ork was hiding behind, making a hollow sound as it breached the bark. The scene unfolding in front of her, Clem pumped her shotgun, expelling the spent cartridge in a small cloud of gunpowder smoke as the next round lodged itself in the chamber, ready to be fired. The image of the near explosion of her target dancing around in her head forced a grin from the corner of the ork's mouth and a small chuckle of satisfaction.

[spoiler]Reaction 8 (http://orokos.com/roll/476867): 8d6t5 2 no glitches. Nothing fancy, just a simple miss.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (21:28:26/01-19-17)
The truck sputters a bit and roars to life as assault rifle fire pings off the armor as Snow dive behind the truck.  Torley notes that the oblique angle is probably the only reason that some of the fire isn't ricocheting around inside the cabin at the same time he notes the winch cable is woven through a sturdy set of trees.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (08:03:43/01-20-17)
"Left side neutralised," Sammy said as she noted that if someone had survived the fireball, he wasn't a danger anymore.  As the rest seemed to be under control and she got a serious headache from the fireball, she decided to keep an eye out for anything that needed doing, but stop casting as not to make her headache worse.  She did take her pistol out, just in case it was needed.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (14:09:35/01-20-17)
Snow can't see any of the enemy from her position behind the truck.  Grimacing, she sends a message to her companions.  --Team (Snow): My vision is blocked.  Who needs help and where do I go?--
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (14:29:56/02-05-17)
Sammy had a headache, but when she looked around the truck and spotted one of the attackers, she decided to drop him with a stunbolt, so they would have at least one person to ask questions after the shooting stopped.  She had seen O'Connor and it was a lot easier to get him to start shooting than to get him to stop shooting.  Staying behind the truck as much as possible, she let go of the stunbolt.

[spoiler]
force 5 stunbolt
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 - 2 wounds= 9 (http://orokos.com/roll/482307): 9d6t5 6
very good roll. :)

drain 1:
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/482308): 9d6t5 2

no drain
target can roll willpower
DV: 5S + net hits
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (19:34:03/02-05-17)
The spent cartridge flew away from the sheer force Clem had pulled on the reloading mechanism on her new shotgun. She barely had time to slightly move the barrel before her finger had pulled the trigger, firing towards her second target.

[spoiler]Same deal as the last shot, minus the aim. Jungle R1P1 〜 Agility 8 + Firearms 4 - Cover 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/482416): 10d6t5 3 No glitches. This time she will shoot a wide burst, so that's a -2 dice pool modifier. So 9P + net hits.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (21:32:41/02-15-17)
The truck's controls were a bit more complicated than the modern cars Sam was used to, so it took him a bit to get it started. Finally, however, his efforts were rewarded as the antique roared to life. Looking up, he was just in time to see the man Snow had been talking with suddenly transform into a sticky-looking red, wet cloud. Luckily, he hadn't eaten since they'd left the airport, so he managed to avoid getting the inside of the truck messier, but that was all he was able to do.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (06:19:29/02-17-17)
Clem quickly responds to Snow's message. <Keep an eye on Jane and shoot anyone that comes close. Meanwhile, do some 'trix drek and try to find something I don't know.>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (13:25:09/02-18-17)
Snow grins.  >>On it, Boss.<<

She cannot watch and go to VR at the same time, so she tries to look into the matrix while watching the location where Jane and the boy were put.  Sadly, the link to the matrix here is pretty weak and the noise plus her own injuries mean that she has no luck in the matrix department.  She goes over to her two patients and kneels beside a tree near them, ready to shoot any of the enemy who approaches.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:53:04/02-20-17)
The two water bearers targeted were hit hard, the other two shot back at Clem as the obvious threat, along with the sniper at the truck.

 (http://orokos.com/roll/488182): 2#6d6t5 1 4 8d6t5 4

 (http://orokos.com/roll/488183): 2#5d6t5 1 1

The two in the jungle send full auto wide bursts at O’Conner

 (http://orokos.com/roll/488185): 2#4d6t5 2 2

The others at the truck also shoot, but to no real effect.


Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (22:11:54/02-20-17)
O'Connor weaved between the withering hail of fire from the jungle as he advanced on his attackers. The ground around him was chewed to pieces, but the psychotic adept remained unscathed. His laughter never ceased, "Spray and pray won't work on me! This really the best you can do?!"

[spoiler=Dodge]
Reaction 8 + Dodge 7 + Improved Dodge 2 + Ranged 2 - CM 1 - Wide Full Burst 9 = Pool 9
Dodge (http://orokos.com/roll/488204): 9d6t5 4

Reaction 8 + Dodge 7 + Improved Dodge 2 + Ranged 2 - CM 1 - Wide Full Burst 9 - Previous Attack 1 = Pool 8
Dodge (http://orokos.com/roll/488205): 8d6t5 5
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (05:08:55/02-21-17)
With her shotgun, Clem knew she would be the centre of attention. From behind her tree, she heard bullets whiz by and felt the unmistakable sting of a projectile hit her.

[spoiler]I have a lot of rolls to make, so here goes: Dodge 1 ~ Reaction 8 + Good Cover 4 (http://orokos.com/roll/488279): 12d6t5 5 No glitch. First shot misses. Dodge 2 ~ Reaction 8 + Good Cover 4 -1 Previous Attack (http://orokos.com/roll/488280): 11d6t5 4 No glitch. Second shot grazes. Dodge 3 ~ Reaction 8 + Good Cover 4 -2 Previous Attack (http://orokos.com/roll/488281): 10d6t5 1 No glitch. I will use one point of edge to re-roll misses. Edge (http://orokos.com/roll/488282): 9d6t5 2 No glitch. So that's one net hit on the third attack. Dodge 4 ~ Reaction 8 + Good Cover 4 - 3 Previous Attack (http://orokos.com/roll/488283): 9d6t5 3 No glitch. Fourth shot misses. Dodge 5 ~ Reaction 8 + Good Cover 4 - 4 Previous Attack (http://orokos.com/roll/488284): 8d6t5 2 No glitch. Fifth shot misses.

So I don't know who the 8 dicepool was nor their damage value, but I'll roll resistance  and you can just tell me what the damage is. Clem had removed her overcoat because of the heat of the truck, so I won't be factoring that in. Damage Resistance ~ Body 6 + FFBS 6 + SP Blouse 1 + SP Slacks 1 + SP Corset 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/488285): 16d6t5 3 No glitch. I will be using one more edge point to re-roll those misses. Edge 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/488286): 13d6t5 7 No glitch. Much better! With that, she can absorb 10 points of damage. [/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (20:13:06/02-21-17)
Shrugging off the temporary numbness she felt in her left forearm from the shot that hit her, Clementine put her shotgun away and pulled out her SMG and sent a message. <Con, do you have eyes on that sniper?>
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (22:34:53/02-21-17)
O'Connor returned fire at his attackers. Between the loud reports of exchanged gunfire and his focused bloodlust, O'Connor didn't even register Clem's message.

[spoiler]
IP 3
Simple Action: Take Aim
Simple Action:  Narrow Long Burst

Agility 5 + Automatics 4 + Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 1 - CM 1 = Pool 11
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/488636): 11d6t5 7

Damage
Colt M23 6P + Explosive Rounds 1P + Narrow Long Burst 5P = 12P + net hits

IP 4
Simple Action: Take Aim
Simple Action:  Narrow Long Burst

Agility 5 + Automatics 4 + Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 1 - CM 1 = Pool 11
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/488639): 11d6t5 1
Edge to re-roll misses
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/488640): 10d6t5 2
Total hits: 3

Damage
Colt M23 6P + Explosive Rounds 1P + Narrow Long Burst 5P = 12P + net hits
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:41:01/02-22-17)
Sammy saw that a number of people were firing at Clem.  Since her own target had decided that he had an urgent meeting somewhere else and was now on his way to see exactly what that meeting was, she could do something about that.  She picked one of the people shooting at Clem she could see and lobbed another stunbolt.

[spoiler]
force 5 stunbolt on the sniper
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 - 2 wounds= 9 (http://orokos.com/roll/488713): 9d6t5 5
I'm on a roll. :)

drain 1:
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/488714): 9d6t5 6

no drain
target can roll willpower
DV: 5S + net hits
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (23:02:09/02-26-17)
Clementine is thrown to the ground by the force of the sniper’s shot, her armor holding as the team brings down or disables several more targets, but the real action seems to be, by Clem’s recollection, coming from up the trail behind their attackers.  Most of the guys back there are shooting the other way and screaming African gibberish, with the exception of the one shooting at Clem, who even now is locking another round in his scoped hunting rifle.

No one else seems to notice the specifics of the commotion, though Snow clearly hears the word “DEMON!!” screamed out before the dying wails overcome every other noise.

A gigantic dark mass then tramples through and over the truck, destroying it utterly.  Gore splattered with a corpse clutched in one tentacle and another hanging from a tusk it screams in triumph, starting to slow its charge until it sees the runner’s truck and with a different trumpeting blast, it bears down on them.

The only thing between you?  Two boys, one paralyzed by fear, the other still semi-catatonic.


Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:04:35/02-28-17)
Snow sends a message by 'link because she is not sure that anyone will hear her over the noise.  >>Team [Snow]:  They said this is a demon of some kind.  I am not sure if our truck can stand up to it so you might want to leave.<<

After sending the message, she tries to move Jane and the kid closer to the tree she is using for cover.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:11:19/03-10-17)
O'Connor roared in triumph as he took down his assailants. It was drowned out, however, by a much louder and more menacing roar. O'Connor turned to the source as was utterly dumbfounded. The thing, whatever it was, has come out of nowhere and made short work the the enemy truck and its crew. He was having a hard time trying to figure out what the creature was, but he knew he was going to love fighting it.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (05:11:16/03-12-17)
Snow moves both of her patients to the side of the tree opposite the truck so they are protected from any debris if the demon should attack their vehicle.  Afterwards, she intends to draw her pistol and see what she can do to support her team.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: HydroRaven on (01:58:18/03-14-17)
Clem fumbled trying to crawl away from the horrible vision of a beast that was barreling down towards them. The size, the brute force and the timing of it all conspired to make the ork recoil back in fear, inaudibly saying to the rest of the team <What the drek... that thing... it's coming...>

In a moment of fear and panic, she got back up and fired towards the beast.

[spoiler] Hopefully I played this well. I don't know if there are any negative modifiers to Clem's attack (I imagine there would be), but I didn't want to risk anything so we can just take away dice at the end of the rolls if there is anything to substract. Jungle R2P1 〜 Agility 8 + Firearms 4 (http://orokos.com/roll/496050): 12d6t5 7 No glitch. This is a wide burst shot from her SMG, so a -2 defending dice pool and a standard 5P + net hits.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (13:23:05/03-19-17)
"What the ...," was a quite logical reaction when Sammy spotted the creature.  She quickly shifted her vision to the astral to check what it looked like on there and hopefully to gain a clue as to what to do about it.

[spoiler]
assensing:
intuition 3 + assensing 3 -CM2 =4 (http://orokos.com/roll/497682): 4d6t5 2
Not bad with only 4 dice.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (15:26:50/03-20-17)
Sam was having a really bad afternoon, what with the crash, the hard work getting the beast of a vehicle back on the road, having to sit by while someone else did the talking simply because he couldn't understand the fragging language, to suddenly seeing someone explode in front of him. When the beast suddenly demolished the truck, Sam's eyes glazed over as his brain decided to take a vacation and stop processing what he was seeing for a moment. It was just too much, too quickly.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (15:34:45/03-24-17)
The massive beast covers the distance quickly, the tentacles and tusks sprouting from a gaping maw.  The shotgun tears chunks of meat from it, but if it feels pain, it certainly doesn’t seem to show it. 

As it slams its massive cranium into the truck (Torley takes crash damage, 12S vs ½ Impact), it brushes by the boys, who are flung into the brush, and O’Conner (Resist 8S, impact armor applies, plus knockdown)

The truck sputters and dies as it lurches sideways, brushing the mage using it for cover (same attack for Sammy, 8S + Impact w/Knockdown).

This close, the four-legged beast resembles some kind of hellish pachyderm, with a kraken for a face.  While it is definitely not any normal critter, it is not magical or demonic.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (08:08:17/04-06-17)
The beast's collision with the truck was strong enough to slam Sam against some of the less forgiving surfaces. As he slipped into unconsciousness, he found himself thinking of Lyra, back in Seattle.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:35:27/04-09-17)
The beast's charge threw O'Connor to the ground, knocking the wind out of him. It took quite a bit of willpower to get backup. He was sure that most of his ribs were bruised, if not cracked. He backed away from the creature to create as much distance as possible. A few more hits like that and he'd be out of the fight.  He called out to the team, "Surround it. We need to keep its attention divided." He fired a stream of bullets at the creature.

[spoiler=Stand Up (2)]
Body 4 + Willpower 3 - CM 2 = Pool 5
Stand Up (http://orokos.com/roll/504106): 5d6t5 1
Edge to re-roll
Stand Up (http://orokos.com/roll/504107): 4d6t5 1
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Narrow Long Burst]
Agility 5 + Automatics 4 + Smartlink 2 - CM 2 = Pool 9
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/504110): 9d6t5 3

Damage
Colt M23 6P + Explosive Rounds 1P + Narrow Long Burst 5P = 12P + net hits
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (10:33:43/04-11-17)
Snow steps away from the two patients and fires twice at the beast.

1st shot:  Shoot (http://orokos.com/roll/505084): 7d6t5 3

2nd shot:  Shoot (http://orokos.com/roll/505087): 7d6t5 3
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (14:54:00/04-11-17)
Sammy didn't waste time to try and figure out what it was.  It was hostile, no matter the reason, so it had to be subdued.  She gestured as she had learned and threw a stunbolt at the creature.

[spoiler]
force 5 stunbolt:
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 - 2 wounds= 9 (http://orokos.com/roll/505216): 9d6t5 2
only 2 hits, but I want to save my last edge to make sure I can survive.

DV: 5S + net hits

drain 1:
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/505217): 9d6t5 2
no drain

[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:31:25/04-16-17)
O'Connor aimed for the creature's knee, hoping to keep it from charging again.

[spoiler]
IP 3
Free: Called shot - knee
Simple: Take Aim
Simple: Take Aim

IP 4
Simple: Narrow Burst
Free: Called shot - other knee (same knee if first attack is unsuccessful)
Simple: Take Aim

Agility 5 + Automatics 4 + Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 2 - Called Shot 4 - CM 2 = Pool 7
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/506779): 7d6t5 3

Damage
Colt M23 6P + Explosive Rounds 1P + Narrow Burst 2P = 9P + net hits
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (22:32:52/04-24-17)
   Although the massive beast is still furiously trumpeting its rage, the wounds your team has inflicted seemed to finally register in its mind as a threat.  The shot to the knee seems to be the last it will take.  Stumbling and limping as it backs into the flaming jungle, it almost absentmindedly stuffs the gory morsels it had been carrying into the terrifying maw that is its face.  The remaining tentacles and tusks waving wildly in an attempt to dissuade pursuit.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:45:45/04-25-17)
Snow is happy to see the creature leave.  She grabs up her kit and crawls into the truck to check on Sam as she calls the others.  >>Team, Snow.  Looks like Sam took it hard when that thing hit the vehicle.  Anyone else hurt?<<

She sets up next to where Sam is strapped into the seat and hooks up the diagnostic leads as she waits for the others to call in.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (04:52:02/04-30-17)
They were lucky the creature retreated, Sammy thought as she gathered some mana.  While it was retreating, she wanted it to go as far as possible, so she threw another stunbolt after it, something to remember them by.

"I just have some bruises," Sammy said to Snow, "they'll heal, provided we don't have to do this again.  Who's bright idea was it to go through the jungle and not wait a couple of days for the plane?"

[spoiler]
If I can't hit it anymore, let me know and I'll remove that part of the post.

stunbolt force 5
magic 5 + spellcasting 6 - 2 wounds= 9 (http://orokos.com/roll/512372): 9d6t5 3

DV: 5S + net hits

drain 1:
willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/512373): 9d6t5 2
no drain
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (02:08:06/05-01-17)
O'Connor yelled after the monster, "Where ya going? Don't wanna work for a meal?" As the creature retreated, it's large form stopped obscuring the fire Sammy had started. He paused, trying to focus on his target, before firing. After shooting, O'Connor moved to the side to flank the creature, while giving the fire a wide berth.

[spoiler]
IP 1
Simple: Take Aim
Simple: Narrow Burst

Agility 5 + Automatics 4 + Smartlink 2 + Take Aim 2 - Pyrophobia 2 - Called Shot 4 - CM 2 = Pool 5
Automatics (http://orokos.com/roll/512672): 5d6t5 1

Damage
Colt M23 6P + Explosive Rounds 1P + Narrow Burst 2P = 9P + net hits
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (03:14:18/05-05-17)
Snow clamors through the debris scattered in the truck to get to where she can treat Sam, who is unconscious.  She sends a message as she opens her kit and begins attaching various leads to her companion.  >>Team [Snow]: Sam is unconscious in here.  I am tryig to get him at least back to where he can wake up.<< 

"Come on, Sam, come to."  The kit pings as it begins sending its medicines into Sam.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (16:09:41/05-11-17)
Sam's head hurt. It took him a while to sort out where he was, but he soon realized he was still in the driver's seat of the truck, but with a medkit beeping away and Snow peering at him in concern. He groaned as memories started slipping into place. Rather than looking out at the road, for fear of what he'd see, he turned to his teammate. "If you're taking the time to patch me up, it must mean nothing's trying to kill us. Not right now, at least. Right?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (16:14:48/05-11-17)
With the thing gone, Sammy also came towards the truck.
"Nope, we drove it off.  Unfortunately we're still stuck in the bloody jungle.  who's bloody idea was it anyway to take this way instead of waiting two days for a plane.  If we continue this way it will be a lot more than two days before we get to Lagos."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (17:47:58/05-11-17)
O'Connor tried to line up another shot, but the density of the jungle prevented that. As much as he wanted to pursue the beast, going deeper into the jungle was probably a bad idea. He reluctantly let the creature escape and returned to the road. He called out to the team, "Gonna see if the dead guys left anything we can use." He started scavenging among the wrecked truck and poking through the bits of gore that the creature left behind.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (23:58:22/05-11-17)
Snow pats Sam on the shoulder, probably just about the only place he was not hurting right now.  "Yeah, it is apparently gone for now, but I think it may have trashed the other vehicle.  Still we might be able to scavenge from it.  You are actually not in too bad shape right now so I am going to disconnect you and go see if anyone else needs help."

She disconnects the leads and packs the kit back up then leaves the truck.  She stretches when she manages to climb out and calls out.  "Hey, anyone else ready to say they are hurt and needing help?  If not, I am going over to check on my unconscious patients."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:39:05/05-12-17)
"I have a headache and some bruises," Sammy said, "when that creature attacked I got the truck in my face."

[spoiler]
I have currently 5S and 2P.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (16:29:47/05-13-17)
Snow moves over to where Sammy is and examines her,  "Would you like me to try to take care of some of that?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (12:06:21/05-14-17)
"If you could," Sammy said, "How are the others?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (15:54:16/05-14-17)
Snow smiles as she opens her kit next to Sammy and begins attaching the leads to her patient.  "I just left Sam.  He was bruised a lot from the beast hitting the truck, but I think he will be good.  At least he will if we don't get any more action like this for a bit.  Con I haven't seen.  You know how macho he is so he probably would not tell me he is hurt even if he is.  And Clem has not chimed in either, so I will go look at both of them after I try you."  She waits patiently for the medicines to begin their work on her friend.

"We still got Jane and the boy unconscious, as well.  Not so auspicious a start."

[spoiler]4 hits on the First Aid ought to help a bit.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (13:01:18/05-16-17)
"Thanks, that did help," Sammy said.  While the headache wasn't completely gone, she still felt much better.  Now the only thing she could really use was a good night sleep, but that probably went for everybody.
"I think it's best we get out here as quickly as possible," she said to Sam as Snow went back to her other patients.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (20:50:22/05-16-17)
It is hard to tell with all the smoke from the burning jungle it escaped through if your final attacks had any effect.  A quick search finds only two usable weapons, the AKs carried by the two preteen escorts of the spokesman.  They are somehow still alive, but are completely uninterested in fighting you.

The damage the truck suffered, while serious, is not incapacitating.  You are able to get the cable untangled about the same time that Ms Johnson and the driver rejoin the land of the conscious and cognizant.

"Looks like we missed one hell of a party, everyone still alive?
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (22:25:14/05-16-17)
O'Connor secured the weapons of the two kids and marched them back towards the group at gunpoint, "Hey Boss Lady, glad to see you're up. What'cha want to do with these two? Taking them with us is a bad idea, and shooting them is probably kinder than just leaving them here for the jungle to devour."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:29:56/05-17-17)
Snow nods at Jane.  "Some party.  Things were going swimmingly until we blacked out from the heat and crashed the party bus.  We were just about to get things moving again when some heavies crashed the party.  Then an even bigger heavy crashed the party and now it is just us again.  We should be.................."

Her attention is torn to Con and the two prisoners he has with him.  It hurts her to see boys used in this way, but they had both been prepared to share in raping her a short while ago and she is probably not the first woman to suffer that indignity.  Still, they are young.  She shrugs.  "If it were up to me, I would think that turning them lose would be fitting.  They were eyeing me like they were ready to jump in and get their sloppy tenths or so after the leaders were done with me.  They might live if they stay to the road.  On the other hand, they might be able to give us some information.  Do you want me to try to talk to them?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (02:43:06/05-17-17)
"Good idea, Snow," Sammy said, "see if you can find out if there are more problems ahead on the road.  We might as well know what's going to happen than blunder into it."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (03:08:13/05-17-17)
O'Connor smiled wickedly, "Why spoil the surprise? Why ruin the adventure? We didn't know this would happen and look at how much fun we had." He turned to Clem, "Mind tying up the prisoners?" Once she was finished with the two boys, O'Connor suddenly turned his rifle on Ahmjay. He advanced menacingly"Snow, translate. You had better explain how we ended up crashing without being run off the road, and then have these bandits show up. They got here late, but given how effective they were, they must've been rather incompetent to being with. You'd best convince me this wasn't a set-up by your boss."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (03:25:40/05-17-17)
Snow nods and translates what Con is saying, although she is a bit slower due to the software.  After finishing, she adds a few words of her own.  "I would listen to him, Ahmjay.  He can be very mean and the arrival of those bandits is certainly suspicious."

She turns to CON.  "I told him what you said and added that you are very mean.  It came out a bit different, something like you are like the mean half of a two-headed serpent god the natives worship.  I hope he was not involved, although I would not put it past the guy who rented us the truck and its driver."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (08:26:14/05-17-17)
Sam had done his best to help get the truck back together despite the soreness he was feeling. He let Con deal with poking through the wreckage--he still felt queasy every time he inadvertently looked at where the leader had been--but when people started talking, he became more interested. Unfortunately, he didn't have enough experience with the languages involved (yet) to take the lead, but he'd always found that how people responded to questions gave almost as much information as what they actually said, sometimes more.

[spoiler]Refresh my memory--what language(s) does Ahmjay use? I'm assuming Sam hasn't been around him long enough to pick it up (due to the linguistics ability, he needs 5 hours of exposure before he can try to acquire it). Regardless, he'll be watching Ahmjay's reactions closely.[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (22:49:50/05-27-17)
The local language is Yaruba, but apparently French is still spoken here as well.  I do not know if the boy speaks anything else.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (17:25:00/06-13-17)
Ahmjay starts babbling frighteningly as soon as he realizes that Con means to shoot him.  When Snow starts translating to him, he goes from simple fear to fearful denial, when the suggestion that he is working with their attackers is relayed to him, Torley picks up notes of disgust and disbelief in the denials.  Ahmjay points to a mark on the shoulder of each of the boys, visible under the rags they are wearing. “I would rather die than work with Igbo scum.” the driver tells Snow as he spits on the ground in the boys’ direction.

Jane had been taking things in and letting you take the lead, but at this point she steps between Con and Ahmjay, pushing the barrel aside as she did. “I don’t know if Dobiri would ever try a game like this, but he wouldn’t dare cross Black Mamba, you probably don’t know her, but she is a player here in Africa and not one to mess with.  This is just some bad luck, jet lag and maybe some jungle spirit or Awakened plant thrown in for good measure.  Besides, if Ahmjay had been in on anything else, he would have worn a seatbelt to keep him from getting hurt in the crash.”

Looking at the boys, she shrugs and says “They were probably pirates like the ones we are looking to travel with, their lives might be worth something to their captain, or not.”
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:24:30/06-13-17)
O'Connor shrugged at Jane, "Whatever you say Boss Lady." He lowered his rifle and turned to examine the mark on the prisoners that Ahmjay pointed out, "Igbo, that the name of this pirate crew?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (00:41:32/06-14-17)
Snow lets her breath out and realizes that she had not known she was holding it.  She looks from Ahmjay to the two prisoners.  "Boss, do you think it would be useful to question these two to see what they can tell us of what we can expect if we continue on this path?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (12:05:33/06-15-17)
"Do that," Sammy said, "but I'm going to do some astral scouting.  Keep an eye out here, I'll be right back."
She put herself in the truck, strapped her body in and slipped out.  Only in the astral, she moved over the road, checking for other strange creatures, metahumans, drones or other things that might impede their progress.  As astral travel was much faster than the truck could go, she tried to cover as much ground as possible before she had to go back, encountered something she had to warn the others about or until her spirit reached the coast, whichever came first.

[spoiler]
I've done 3 assensing rolls, to look for things along the way.
assensing (http://orokos.com/roll/525474): 3#6d6t5 1 3 3
As said, I'll try to cover the rest of the trip to the coast, or as much of it as I can before I encounter something or have to come back.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (02:05:51/06-16-17)
Snow nods and walks over to the two boys, kneeling next to them, speaking in their language.  "My name is Snow.  I am a doctor and want to look at your injuries.  Will you let me treat you?"  Whiles she is taking care of their wounds, she nods her head towards Con.  "That man is very angry that you tried to kill us.  He will agree to let you live if you tell us all you know about where these men came from.  How many there are, what sort of guns they have, how many prisoners they have.  That sort of thing.  Will you tell me?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:50:48/06-20-17)
Sam hated not being able to understand people...actually, if he were being truly honest, Sam hated not being able to be understood by others. So he listened carefully as Snow talked with Ahmjay and the boys, watching their body language as well to try to pick up the non-verbal communication that went with the sounds and their translations.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (12:49:34/06-22-17)
Sammy's Astral Scouting is relatively useful.  The road ahead quickly becomes astrally impossible to follow with no real landmarks and the overgrowth.  But then she rises above the jungle and quickly finds the coast and what looks like the cove they are heading for, with 3-4 boats and a few dozen people around them.

Back in the clearing, Torley, from his position, reaches the same conclusion that Jane gives voice to, "I don't think those boys speak the language you are using, Igbo is a tribe in this area, but their speakers are not important enough to have the corps develop a linguasoft for it.  I would assume the ones in Lagos use a type of cityspeak, but I do know the Yoruba, like Ahmjay, do not get along with the Ibgo at all.  It was in the briefing files I gave you."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (14:34:32/06-22-17)
After her scouting, Sammy returned to her body.  Not all that much time had passed, as astral movement was so much faster than real movement.
"It's difficult to follow the road on the astral," she said, "there is a lot of life and the road can hardly be called that, so it's not easy to follow.  But I did manage to get to the coast and look around there.  I saw 4 boats with a couple of dozen of people around them.  So we'll have to be careful upon our approach, as they would outnumber us.  And from what I understood here they will all be armed."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (03:56:54/06-23-17)
O'Connor shrugged, "Even before that elephant monster showed up, we were kicking the drek outta these guys. I think we can handle a few more of these jackasses if push comes to shove. We might want to rest up before that though. Sammy, you see any place between here and there that'd be usable?" He then motioned to the two prisoners, and looked to Jane, "If we can't squeeze them for info, and I doubt that they have value as hostages, what do we do with 'em?"
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (06:40:21/06-23-17)
"Not really," Sammy said, "it all looks the same, at least on the astral plane.  And it's not all that far to the coast anymore.  Judging distances is a bit tricky on the astral, but I think it's about 10 to 15 klicks to the coast.  Of course, the road can wind a bit making the distance we have to actually drive longer."

She turned to O'Connor.
"I would suggest we try diplomacy first," she said, "while shooting people might get us a boat, I don't think any of us can actually drive one, so it's in our best interest to have a boat with a crew to run it.  If half of what I've read about Lagos is true, you'll have more than enough opportunities for combat later.  Which doesn't mean I won't prepare a bit before we reach the coast."
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Crossbow on (10:01:28/06-24-17)
Jane still seems to be trying to take it all in as to what happened while she was out.  She finally seems to reach a decision, "We should move down the road a bit, before any scavengers come lurking around, we will take the boys with us and rest up there, but we realy need to get moving to Lagos.  That sound good to everyone?"

With Ahmjay back behind the wheel of the ailing MaxxPro and the two boys packed in as well, you find a suitable clearing with a small stream up the road.  From the signs, you can guess that this is where your ambushers must have been based before their unfortunate encounter with your group.

There is nothing unusual to be found, just a good place to rest up and get yourselves ready to deal with the pirates.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Mercy Merchant on (09:49:58/06-26-17)
At the stop, Snow makes a check of all the injured to change bandages and do whatever she can to help people in their recovery and is sure to repack the medkit from the supplies she has brought.  When done, she gets what rest she can between her turns on watch.  She is fairly quiet, but she does thank each of the others for their efforts after the crash and during the brief fight.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Thvor on (10:18:30/06-26-17)
Sam was still feeling a bit woozy, so he was glad of the chance to rest. When they found the clearing, he took a look around, then went to the stream, splashed water on his face and took a drink, then looked for a shady place to lie down for a while.
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: farothel on (16:21:06/06-26-17)
Sammy was glad they could rest up a bit, although she didn't really like this location. 
"I'm going to rest up a bit," she said to the rest, "so I can summon a spirit to hide us during the night.  You know, we've done it before, but since I'm on my own, we will have to stay in the truck and then I'll conceal the truck.  It has to be that way since I can't summon up a spirit that can conceal all of us."

She tried to rest up as much as possible even before nightfall in order to get rid of her headache, before she tries the summoning.  As soon as it was dark, she summoned a spirit.  At first she didn't get any response, but her second try got a spirit of air.
"Okay, everybody in the truck and then I can conceal it," she said, "because if you stay out, you will probably not see it anymore."

As soon as everybody was inside the truck, she asked the spirit to conceal it until morning and as a second service to materialise and warn if people or large critters noticed the truck.

[spoiler]
I assume that I have at least 2 heal rolls for stun damage before night falls.
stun healing rolls (http://orokos.com/roll/529029): 2#8d6t5 4 4
That would give me no more stun damage

summon force 5 spirit of air with additional Fear power
magic 5 + summoning 3 =8 (http://orokos.com/roll/529000): 8d6t5 2

spirit resistance roll (http://orokos.com/roll/529002): 5d6t5 2
no services, 4 drain.
Forgot I had wound penalties, but it doesn't matter here.

willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/529004): 9d6t5 3
1S

try it again, but at force 4
magic 5 + summoning 3 -1CM =7 (http://orokos.com/roll/529005): 7d6t5 2

spirit counter roll.
spirit counter roll (http://orokos.com/roll/529007): 4d6t5 0
2 services, 2 drain (minimum value)

willpower 4 + logic 4 + centering 1 =9 (http://orokos.com/roll/529015): 9d6t5 3
no drain.
[/spoiler]
Title: Re: [IC] New Beginnings DUSK
Post by: Necrogigas on (23:11:53/06-26-17)
O'Connor tried to relax in the clearing, but was rather wound up. He couldn't tell if he was being paranoid or not, but if felt like there were dozens of eyes on their little encampment. There always seemed to be a small shift of movement in his peripheral, and every little gust of wind sounded like the breath of some wild beast. O'Connor was a veteran survivor of the Barrens, a literal concrete jungle, but out here in nature he was far out of his depth. More than just wild, impossible looking creatures, O'Connor was waiting for reinforcements from the pirate cove to attack at any moment.