Shadowrun

Shadowrun Play => Play-by-Post => Topic started by: Tecumseh on (17:25:12/11-17-14)

Title: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:25:12/11-17-14)
First things first. I would like everyone to post their character sheets at the top of this thread for easy reference. Please don't post again in this thread until all the sheets are up. I will post the Masked Woman's sheet sixth after everyone else has theirs up. At that point the Chapter 2 forum will be open for business.

I will give bonus karma to anyone who posts their sheet in an especially nice format. Something legible, without every single skill listed.

Roll call

1: The Troll a.k.a. Uncle Sam (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg332317#msg332317)
Played by: Poindexter

2: The Elf a.k.a APB
Killed In Action from a bullet to the brainbox

3: The Human a.k.a. Ace (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg332325#msg332325)
Played by: rednblack

4: The Dwarf a.k.a. Ohanzee (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg332344#msg332344)
Played by: Malevolence

5: The Ork a.k.a. Chino (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg332408#msg332408)
Played by: 8-bit

6: The Masked Woman a.k.a. Katsina (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg332417#msg332417)
Played by: Tecumseh

7: The Crumpled Man a.k.a. Doc (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg332327#msg332327)
Played by: Zweiblumen

New players joining us: Please take note of the last time your sheet was updated by the original player.  You may have to read through the OOC and IC threads after that date to update your sheet with any additional skills or abilities that came to light.

You are under no obligation to continue RPing your character in the manner of the previous chapter. If you want to take your character in a different direction, personality-wise, that would be entirely plausible and even realistic, given the circumstances.

Rules to follow in the next post.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:18:16/11-17-14)
Rules and Regulations

The Houserules are largely the same as what Ryo was using. If you are using them in a roll, please mention it as I do not have them memorized. I am adding a few (marked in red), which should not have a major impact.

Posting
Everyday, ideally, even if it's just to check in with a couple quick lines about what you're doing in the background if the action isn't on you. That said, I know I will fall short of that ideal myself. I would like a more substantive post - doesn't have to be a huge essay - every two days or so to voice your opinion or to push the action forward. Obvious exceptions made for weekends and holidays. If you're going to be away for a few days, great. I probably will be too at some point. Just let us know, and ESPECIALLY let us know if you have to take an extended leave for whatever reason. Don't leave us hanging for weeks and months.

I have the most opportunities to post while at work. I have a regular 9 to 5 with ample access to the Internet. Seattle proper, GMT -8.

Karma
Due to the nature of PbP, karma will be awarded on a per-chapter basis. Karma awards will be based on participation and role playing. Unless Ryo already has karma awards in mind, I will send out Chapter I karma awards to those players who were with us.

There will be a separate karma award specifically for developing knowledge skills. Knowledge karma will generally be 1/2 the amount of your normal karma award. Advancing knowledge skills costs the same as in the core rule book.

Please run karma spending by me. Most of it will be fine but I'll want to keep track of it on your secret sheets too. Most of the time you will not need an IC reason to improve suddenly. The premise of the game gives us a good mechanic for most sudden improvement (i.e. you remember how to do something). It breaks down a bit for attribute advancement but oh well. It's a game.

Treat Metatype Attribute Minimum as 1 for the purpose of determining Karma costs. For example, if you are a troll with a Body of 5, which is the metatype minimum, improving to Body 6 only costs 10 karma, not 30.

Magic
Spells that create a barrier, such as Physical Barrier or [Element] Wall, create a barrier with a Structure equal to the Force of the spell, and an Armor equal to Force+hits. This is to prevent hilariously flimsy barriers and make these spells actually useful. A magical Barrier is still a Barrier, and is subject to the Penetration Weapons rule; only barriers of sufficiently high Armor will actually stop bullets.

Instead of Alchemy being opposed by Force of the preparation, it is opposed by Force - Alchemist's Skill. Therefore, an Alchemist with an Alchemy skill of 6 casting at Force 6 or lower would roll Magic + Alchemy [Force] unopposed, but if he were to overcast to Force 12, he would be opposed by 6 dice. This makes it easier to create preparations with decent Potency.

A preparation taking a single box of Physical damage will not make it lose its magic. This would render Disjoining obsolete, as you could disarm preparations without risking Drain just by smacking them. Instead, a sufficiently damaged preparation is immediately triggered.

Damage to a Preparation does not release the magic unless it is completely destroyed/ruined/scraped off the object. Alchemists shouldn't be at a constant risk of self destructing simply from putting their preparations in the same pocket as their car keys.

Flesh Form merges from Inhabitation have half their Force added to the Physical Attributes of the host.

When possessing a living vessel, the enhancement to Physical Attributes is limited by Augmented Maximum. This limitation does not apply to Inhabitation spirits.

Fake magical items made through Artificing stand up to Assensing in addition to Perception tests, using the same thresholds.

Quicksilver Cameras do not have a fixed limit, only increasing the threshold of the Assensing by 2, or by 3 for a copy.

Vehicles
In Handling Environments, Catch Up/Break Away is a threshold test based on the complexity of the obstacles as normal. In Speed Environments, Catch Up/Break Away is instead an opposed Vehicle Test, pitting the speed of both drivers against each other.

When crashing, a vehicle is treated as if it rammed itself, resisting with Body+Armor as normal. Half of the unresisted damage is applied to the passengers of the vehicle, resisted with Body+Armor -6 AP. If a passenger is not properly secured (wearing a safety belt/harness), then they must resist the full initial damage of the crash instead, and may be hurled from the vehicle (gamemaster discretion). This may result in further damage from impact with the terrain or other vehicles.

Drones that have their Condition track filled can still be repaired. The cost is 1% of the base cost per box of damage sustained.

So long as a Vehicle is moving, the driver defends against attacks with Reaction + Intuition. They can choose to use Full Defense, adding their Willpower for the remainder of the Combat Turn, and losing 10 initiative. They can also choose to use Evasive Driving, the equivalent of Gymnastics Dodge, and add their Pilot skill to the defense test. Doing this adds the Handling of the vehicle as a limit to the test.

A vehicle that is not moving does not get to defend against attacks.

Sensors
The signature table is nonsense. The signature of a given target is dependent on the type of sensor attempting to perceive it; Cameras are subject to vision penalties, Thermographic sensors lock on with heat, MAD sensors lock onto ferrous metal, Radio Signal Sensors lock on to Matrix Icons, etc. etc.

The Sensor Housings table should instead read Sensor Array Housings table. Single Sensors do not have their Ratings limited by the size of the Housing.

Area of Effect attacks
Grenades and area spells can either be aimed at an area (Simple (3) test) or aimed at a specific target (attack roll vs. defense roll.) If you aim at the area, all the targets in the blast radius can (and probably will) use the Run for Your Life interrupt action to escape the blast. If you aim at a specific target, they cannot use this interrupt action; they get their defense roll instead.

The effectiveness of flash-bang grenades and Indirect Area spells (like Fireball) will decrease with range as per a normal grenade (-1 DV per meter). This is to avoid "can't miss" attacks due to the area of effect being larger than the possible distance of the scatter.

Technomancers
All technomancers have an innate ability to establish a Direct Connection to any device they touch. Technomancers can also form PANs.

Resonance abilities do not render properly in the Matrix and can often go undetected. If something does not qualify as an Attack or Sleaze action, the victim would have to make a Matrix Perception check to notice they were the target of something. This includes Resonance Spike. A persona forced to perform an action with Puppeteer is obviously aware it performed an action, but a Device that is Puppeteer'd does not notify its owner.

Movement
Movement rates will generally be HALF of what's listed in the core rule book on p. 162.
Agility = meters per turn walking
Agility * 2 = meters per turn running
Hits on a sprinting test still add 1m/hit for Dwarves and Trolls and 2m/hit for other metatypes.
This is a little slow at the lower Agility ratings but I've done the math and like these values much better.

Rulebooks in Play

All 5th edition rulebooks, including PDF only books, should be consider valid. 4th edition content not yet available for 5th can also be consider valid on a case by case basis. For example, the amnesia quality itself is a negative quality from 4th edition that you all have.

The optional rules from Bullets & Bandages may be used.

Optional Rules RG2 and RG6 from Run & Gun are in use:

Quote from: Run & Gun page 110
RG2: TARGET SIZE MODIFIERS
SIZEMODIFIEREXAMPLES
Minuscule-3Micro drones
Tiny-2Mini drones, door locks, door hinges, security keypads
Small-1Metahuman (Body + Strength ranges from 2 to 4), small drones
AverageMetahuman (Body + Strength ranges from 5 to 10), medium drones
Bulky+1Metahuman (Body + Strength ranges from 11 to 15), vehicles, large drones
Large+2Metahuman (Body + Strength ranges is 16 or higher)
Huge+3Jumbo jet engine

Quote from: Run & Gun page 110
RG6: DAMAGE FOR NO DEFENSE
If an attack decreases a target’s Defense Test pool below 0 dice, additional penalties are added to the DV of the attack at a rate of 1 DV per two lost dice. This makes Full Auto or Burst Fire attacks against unaware or restrained foes truly deadly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (18:33:58/11-17-14)
Please keep in mind, this sheet may be sorely lacking, as I still havent learned everything there is to know about Sammo here. Also, I feel like I had some points left over to spend on knowledges still, but its been so long, i dont remember how many.

== Info ==
Street Name: Uncle Sam
Name: Unnamed Character
Movement: 18/36
Karma: 70
Street Cred: 7
Notoriety: 0
Public Awareness: 2
Troll
Composure: 7
Judge Intentions: 5
Lift/Carry: 18 (120 kg/80 kg)
Memory: 9
Nuyen: 0

== Priorities ==
unknown

== Attributes ==
BOD: 10
AGI: 5 (9)
REA: 5 (6)
STR: 8
CHA: 3
INT: 3
LOG: 4
WIL: 5
EDG: 4

== Derived Attributes ==
Essence:                   0.5 (unless some of this chrome is higher than standard grade)
Initiative:                9 + 2d6
Rigger Initiative:         9 + 2d6
Astral Initiative:         
Matrix AR Initiative:      9 + 2d6
Matrix Cold Initiative:    3 + DP + 3d6
Matrix Hot Initiative:     3 + DP + 4d6
Physical Damage Track:     13
Stun Damage Track:         11

== Limits ==
Physical:                  11
Mental:                    6
Social:                    4
Astral:                    6

== Active Skills ==
Animal Handling            : 0                      Pool: 2
Archery                    : 0                      Pool: 8
Armorer (Firearms)                    : 1(3)       Pool: 5/7
Automatics                 : 6                      Pool: 15
Blades                     : 3                      Pool: 12
Clubs                      : 3                      Pool: 12
Computer                   : 1                      Pool: 5
Con                        : 0                      Pool: 2
Cybercombat                : 0                      Pool: 3
Demolitions                : 4                      Pool: 8
Disguise                   : 0                      Pool: 2
Diving                     : 0                      Pool: 9
Escape Artist              : 0                      Pool: 8
Etiquette                  : 1                      Pool: 4
First Aid                  : 1                      Pool: 5
Forgery                    : 0                      Pool: 3
Free-Fall                  : 0                      Pool: 9
Gunnery                    : 3                      Pool: 12
Gymnastics                 : 2                      Pool: 11
Hacking                    : 0                      Pool: 3
Heavy Weapons     : 5/7(grenade launcher)                  Pool: 14/16
Impersonation              : 0                      Pool: 2
Instruction                : 0                      Pool: 2
Intimidation               : 3                      Pool: 6
Leadership                 : 0                      Pool: 2
Longarms                   : 3 [Sniper Rifles]      Pool: 12 (14)
Navigation                 : 2                      Pool: 5
Negotiation                : 0                      Pool: 2
Palming                    : 1                       Pool: 10
Perception                 : 3 (visual)                      Pool: 6(8)
Performance                : 0                      Pool: 2
Pilot Ground Craft         : 0                      Pool: 5
Pilot Watercraft           : 0                      Pool: 5
Pistols                    : 0                      Pool: 8
Running                    : 2                      Pool: 10
Sneaking                   : 2                      Pool: 11
Survival                   : 2                      Pool: 7
Swimming                   : 2                      Pool: 10
Throwing Weapons           : 4                      Pool: 13
Tracking                   : 2                      Pool: 5
Unarmed Combat             : 3                      Pool: 12

== Knowledge Skills ==
guns                       : 3                      Pool: 6
Military                   : 4                      Pool: 7
Small Unit Tactics         : 3                      Pool: 6
Architecture        : 4                     Pool: 8

== Contacts ==
mom (loyalty and connections rating, unknown)

== Qualities ==
Bilingual
Thermographic Vision

== Lifestyles ==
unknown

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Bone Lacing (Titanium)
Damage Compensators Rating 12
Muscle Toner Rating 4
Wired Reflexes Rating 1

== Armor ==

Armor Jacket                        12
   +Chemical Protection 2
   +Fire Resistance 2
   +Insulation 2

== Weapons ==
Grenade: Flash-Bang
   Pool: 8   Accuracy: 11   DV: 10S (10m Radius)   AP: -4   RC: 3
Grenade: Fragmentation
   Pool: 8   Accuracy: 11   DV: 18P(f) (-1/m)   AP: +5   RC: 3
Grenade: Thermal Smoke
   Pool: 8   Accuracy: 11   DV: (10m Radius)   AP: -   RC: 3
HK XM30
   +Gas-Vent 3 System
   +Imaging Scope
   +Shock Pad
   +Smartgun System, Internal
   +Spare Clip
   Pool: 15   Accuracy: 8   DV: 9P   AP: -6   RC: 7
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 12   Accuracy: 11   DV: 11P   AP: -   RC: 3

== Commlink ==
Transys Avalon (ATT: 0, SLZ: 0, DP: 6, FWL: 6)

== Gear ==
Ammo: APDS (Assault Rifles) x24
Catalyst Stick
Commercial Explosive Rating 5 x3
Detonating Cord, Low Yield (meter) Rating 3
Detonator, Blasting Cap
Detonator, Electrical Rating 4
Detonator, Pull
Detonator, Push
Detonator, Radio Rating 3
Fake SIN (Ralph Hendrix, Bodyguard) Rating 3
   +Fake License (Cyber) Rating 3
   +Fake License (Concealed Carry) Rating 3
Fake SIN (Frank Muntz, Bounty Hunter) Rating 3
   +Fake License (Cyber) Rating 3
Foam Explosive Rating 6
Goggles Rating 6
   +Image Link
   +Smartlink
   +Flare Compensation
   +Vision Enhancement Rating 2
   +Trodes
Grenade: Flash-Bang x6
Grenade: Fragmentation x2
Grenade: Thermal Smoke x6
Stealth Rope (100m)
Subvocal Mic
Tool Kit (demo)
Tool Kit (armorer)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:52:13/11-17-14)
Name: ?
Alias: James Anderson (Rating 6), Josh Adams (Rating 5)
Race: human
Sex: male
Nationality: ?
Ancestry: Caucasian
Lifestyle:
Money:
Karma Spent:
Physical Description: The man in the van looks just like your average sprawl-dweller. About 175 cm (5'8") tall, weighing appr. 70 kg (155 lbs), his brown hair fashionably short and disheveled, brown eyes neither looking for nor avoiding eye contact. He wears long pants, a shirt, and a jacket neither tres chic nor horrendously outdated.
Personality/background ?


Attributes

BodyAgilityReactionStrength
56(9)3(4)6
CharismaIntuitionLogicWillpower
4443
EdgeMagic/ResonanceEssenceInitiative
4-?7(8) + 1d6(2d6)
ComposureJudge IntentionsLiftMemory
78117
Phisical l.Mental l.Social l.Astral l.
755-
Physical boxStun boxOverflowReputation
11105?

Positive Qualities
NameKarmaNotes
Ambidexterous4- no penalty for using "off" hand
Negative Qualities
NameKarmaNotes
??- ?

Active Skills
Firearms Group4
Close Combat Group4
Stealth Group3
Athletics Group2
Con4
Etiquette (Corp)4 (6)
Exotic Ranged Weapon (Laser)6 (8)
Hardware3
Locksmith4
Perception (Visual)4 (6)
Leadership1
Computer2
Survival2
Intimidation2
Knowledge Skills
Business (Megacorp)3 (5)
Small Unit Tactics2
Security Design (Corporate)5 (7)
Security Tactics (Corporate) (Rapid Response)5 (7)
Firearms2
Area Knowledge: Denver1
Language Skills
EnglishN

Cyber/Bioware
WareEssenceNotes
Betaware Synthetic Left Arm?- STR 6, AGI 6(9), Armor 1
Integrated Weapon System: Cyber Spur?- ?
Betaware Synthetic Right Arm?- STR 6, AGI 6(9), Armor 1
Integrated Weapon System: Shock Hand?- ?
Betawarer Synthetic left Leg?- STR 6, AGI 6(9), Armor 1
Hydraulic Jacks?- Rating 6
Betaware Synthetic Right Leg?- STR 6, AGI 6(9), Armor 1
Hydraulic Jacks?- Rating 6
Betaware Synthetic Torso?- ?
Internal Air Tank?- Rating 3
Smuggling Compartment?- ?
Cyber Eyes?- Rating 2: Smartlink, Flare Compensation, Thermographic Vision
Synaptic Boosters?- Rating 1

Gear
Weapons
Defiance EX Shocker- smartlink; acc6, 9S(e), -5AP, SS, RC0, ammo4(m); 3 taser darts
Ares Light Fire 70- smartlink; acc9, 6P, -0AP, SA, RC0, ammo16(c); 16 gel rounds
Ares Crusader 2- smartlink; acc7, 7P, -0AP, SA/BF, RC2, ammo40(c); 40 regular rounds

Armor
Ares Armored Survivalist- Armor 8, Insulation 4

Explosives
?- ?

Electronics
Hermes Ikon- DR5

Sensors
?- ?

IDs
James Anderson- 6
Josh Adams- 5

Other
Concealed quick-draw holster- under jacket, -1 Concealability, quick-draw threshold is 2; wireless: -1 Concealability
Concealed holster- ankle, -1 Concealability; wireless: -1 Concealability
Hidden arm slide- right arm, -1 Concealability, quick-draw threshold is 2; wireless: Ready Weapon is Free

Contacts
ContactC/L
Rhodes?
??

Edge spent: 4/4
Edge Burned: 0
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:59:49/11-17-14)
Crumpled Man

Name: ?
Alias: Crumpled/Doc
Race: Human
Sex: Male
Physical Description/Personality/background:
Somebody forgot to wear their safety belt. A man lies in a crumpled heap on the ceiling of the overturned van, face down in the snow. He's dressed appropriately for the weather, and its clear one of his arms is cybernetic, with a touch screen of an implanted cyberdeck visible on his forearm.

He's SINless, or very careful, as he has no publicly accessible info on him at all.

Health Monitors
P:[][][][][][][][][][][]{}{}{}
S:[][][][][][][][][][][]
D:[][][][][][][][][][]

Edge: 7/7

Attributes
Body3
Agility2(6)
Reaction4
Strength?(6)
Charisma3
Intuition4(5)
Logic6(9)
Willpower5
Edge7
Essence?
Initiative7+1d6

Positive Qualities
Codeslinger (Matrix Search)
Negative Qualities
Amnesia
Bad Luck

Active Skills
NameRankPool
Biotech Skill Group5
    Biotechnology514
    Cybertechnology514
    First Aid514
    Medicine514
Cracking Skill Group6
    Cybercombat615
    Electronic Warfare615
    Hacking615
Stealth Skill Group1
    Sneaking13
    Palming13
    Disguise13
Armorer211
Computer(Matrix Perception)5(7)14(16)
Etiquette(Matrix)2(4)5(7)
Leadership14
Longarms(Shotguns)612(14)
Hardware514
Perception38
Software211
Survival27
Knowledge Skills
Area Knowledge - Aspen (street)38
Area Knowledge - Denver (street)38
Corporate Security (profesional)312
Corporate Politics (profesional)312
Dog Fighting (interest)27
Diseases [Hemotology] (academic)2(4)11(13)
Matrix Security (??)4??
Medical Procedures (academic)413
Prostitutes (interest)16
Trids [Porn] (interest)2(4)7(9)
Language Skills
EnglishN

Gear (?¥)
Cyberware/Bioware
Used CyberArm (Str 6, Agi 6)
    Cyber Shotgun
    Cyberdeck Sony CIY-720
        Attack: 4 Sleaze: 6(7) Data Prcoessing: 5 Firewall: 7(8)
        Agent (Rating 6) (Rating*2+2 for all rolls; 4d6 Init dice; Rating + DP Init)
Cybereyes (Rating 1)
    Smartlink
    Imagelink
    Vision Enhancement (Rating 1)
Datajack (left wrist)
Datajack (side of head)
Datajack (base of neck)
Qualia
Armor
Ares Survivalist Suit (Urban Survival Line)
    ModificationRating
    Insulation2
    Chemical Protection2
    Nonconductivity1
    Medkit5
    Respirator6
    Biomonitor
Weapons
Shotgun
    Spare Clip
    Flechette Rounds (x10)
Misc
Tag Eraser
Data Tap
Flashlight
Gold Credstick (1,242 ¥)
Subvocal Mic
Cybertechnology Kit
Hardware Kit

Contacts
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:13:18/11-17-14)
Google Docs (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13vgmeCPtkNsxyA9zpns-wvZV33IXci6XfZ9pbqcOh9s/edit?usp=sharing) version (since Chummer doesn't do custom Priorities yet).

Street Name: Ohanzee
Name: ?
Alias: Ohanzee Oglala
Sioux National SIN
Age: 40Sex: Male
Metatype: DwarfRace: Lakota
Unspent Karma: 0

P: [X][X][X] [][][] [][][] [] {}{}{}
S: [][][] [][][] [][][] [][]

ATTRIBUTES
BOD: 3AGI: 5REA: 3STR: 3
WIL: 6LOG: 3INT: 4CHA: 6
EDG: 3MAG: 6ESS: 6
Tradition: ShamanicGrade: 2
Initiative: 11+3d6Astral Initiative: 8 + 2d6


SKILLS
SkillRatingDice Pool
Combat Skills
Pistols (Revolvers)2 (+2)7 (9)
Physical Skills
Gymnastics38
Perception37
Sneaking38
Survival410
Social Skills
Influence Skill Group6
_Etiquette612
_Leadership612
_Negotiation612
Con (Seduction)5 (+2)11 (13)
Intimidation-5
Performance-5
Magical Skills
Conjuration Skill Group6
_Banishing612
_Binding612
_Summoning612
Sorcery Skill Group5
_Counterspelling511
_Ritual Spellcasting511
_Spellcasting511
Arcana36
Assensing (Spirits)4 (+2)8 (10)
Astral Combat511
Technical Skills
Artisan26
Computer14
First Aid-2
Pilot Aircraft--

KNOWLEDGE
SkillRatingDice PoolType
Lakota(N)Language
English(N)Language
Magic Artifacts47Academic
Organized Crime (Denver)2 (+2)6 (8 ) Street
Parageology36Academic
Area Knowledge: Denver48Street
Shadow Community (Safe Houses)37 (9)Street

CONTACTS
NameOccupationLoyaltyConnectionCommcodeAddressNotes
StylesFixer3459230-l3c4Denver, UCAS side
Long ShadowTalismonger2441023-l2c4Denver, Sioux side
Gloria Winters, PhDEgghead3292107-l3c2AspenMissing

QUALITIES
Amnesia
Bilingual
Combat Paralysis
Geas (Cannot allow a spirit he has summoned to be disrupted)

GEAR
Armor clothing 6Insulation 6
Power FocusRating 2
Renraku Sensei CommlinkDR 3
Ruger Super WarhawkQuick Draw Holster6 rounds APDS (loaded)
ReagentsQty 30
Biomonitor Location: upper arm
RespiratorRating 6
ContactsImagelink
Fake SINRating 4 (Ohanzee Oglala)
- Fake LicenseRating 4 (Registered Awakened license)
Trodes
Optical Binoculars
Security Tags x 10Contain summary of events since waking
Balaclava
Helmet
Micro-cameraAttached to helmet
Thermo Flashlight
Magnesium Torch x 5
Survival Knife
37 Nuyen

SPELLS
SpellSchoolP/MRangeDurationDrainResistNotes
CloutCombatPLOSIF-3Bod+Armor(Force + Hits)S AP -Force
FireballCombatPLOS(A)IF-1Bod+Armor(Force + Hits)P AP -Force, plus fire effects
Mindnet, ExtendedDetectionMT(A)SF+1
HealHealthMTPF-4
Improved ReflexesHealthPTouchSF
Control ThoughtsManipulationMLOSSF-1Logic+Willpower
LevitateManipulationPLOSSF-2
Improved InvisibilityIllusionPLOSSF-1(Intuition + Logic) or OR
Trid PhantasmIllusionPLOS(A)SF(Intuition + Logic) or OR


METAMAGICS
Centering
Quickening


KARMA LOG
11/29/14 - Spent 5 karma on Trid Phantasm spell
02/13/15 - Spent 14 Karma on initiation
02/13/15 - Spend 1 Karma on Quickening Increase Reflexes
02/13/15 - Spend 10 Knowledge Karma on Area Knowledge: Denver
02/20/15 - Spent 200¥ to Styles for intro to "Madam of the House"
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:47:08/11-18-14)
Here is the sheet, updated with all information gained thus far. I have it in a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h_-vLqTnGoMJRuo2rWrGHjq9riuUQumkXXdP6qxNm9w/edit?usp=sharing), but I will post below for convenience's sake. Both will be updated as more information is learned.



-- General Information --
Name: Unknown
Street Name: B? (According to unlabeled simchip)
SINs on Person: None
Chosen Alias: Chino

Age: Unknown
Sex: Male
Metatype: Ork
Ethnicity: European?

Height: 220 centimeters
Weight: 200 kilograms
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Blond

-- Attributes --
Body: 5
Agility: 4
Reaction: 5 (6)
Strength: 5 (9)
Willpower: 5
Logic: 4
Intuition: 4
Charisma: 3

Edge: 4
Magic: 5
Essence: 5

-- Derived Attributes --
Initiative - 9 (10) + 1d6 (2d6)
Physical Condition Monitor - 11 | Currently 0 are filled - Wound Penalty = 0
Stun Condition Monitor - 11 | Currently 0 are filled
Overflow Boxes - 5 | Currently 0 are filled
Physical Limit - 10
Mental Limit - 6
Social Limit - 6

-- Qualities, Martial Arts, and Racial Abilities --
Amnesia
Low-Light Vision
Tae Kwon Doe | Techniques: Kick Attack

-- Skills --
Aeronautics Mechanic 3 | Dice pool of 7
Automotive Mechanic 3 | Dice pool of 7
Assensing 3 (+2 Spirits) | Dice pool of 7 (9)
Astral Combat 5 | Dice pool of 10
Con 2 | Dice pool of 5
Gymnastics 5 | Dice pool of 9
Hardware 2 | Dice pool of 6
Industrial Mechanic 3 | Dice pool of 7
Nautical Mechanic 3 | Dice pool of 7
Navigation 2 | Dice pool of 6
Perception 4 | Dice pool of 8
Pilot Groundcraft 5 | Dice pool of 10 [11]
Running 5 | Dice pool of 14
Sneaking 4 | Dice pool of 8
Survival 2 | Dice pool of 7
Swimming 5 | Dice pool of 14
Throwing Weapons 3 | Dice pool of 7
Tracking 2 | Dice pool of 6
Unarmed Combat 6 (+2 Tae Kwan Doe) | Dice pool of 10 (12)

-- Skill Groups --
Athletics 5
Engineering 3
Outdoors 2

-- Knowledge and Language Skills --
Language: English N
Language: Or'zet 3 | Dice pool of 7
Interest: Action Trid Stars 2 | Dice pool of 6
Interest: Firearms 2 | Dice pool of 6
Interest: Vehicles 2 | Dice pool of 6
Street: BTL Dealers in Denver 3 | Dice pool of 7
Street: UCAS Sector of Denver 2 | Dice pool of 6
Street: Magical Societies 1 | Dice pool of 5
Street: Smuggling Routes in Denver 3 | Dice pool of 7

-- Adept Powers --
Attribute Boost - Agility 1
Hang Time 1
Improved Reflexes 1
Killing Hands
Penetrating Strike 4
Smashing Blow
Wall Running

-- Foci --
Force 1 Qi Focus (Spirit Claw) - present as Arm Tattoos
Force 4 Qi Focus (Astral Perceptions) - present as Face Tattoo

-- Cyberware and Bioware --
Deltaware Bone Density Augmentation 4
Deltaware Muscle Augmentation 4

-- Gear --
Renraku Sensei Commlink w/ Sim Module
Subvocal Mic
Simrig
Trode Headband

Rating 3 Earbuds w/ Audio Enhancment 3

Rating 6 Respirator
Flashlight; Low-Light

Standard Credstick w/ 2,012 nuyen

Urban Explorer Jumpsuit w/ Insulation 6 (Armor 9)

Bug Scanner (Rating 6)
Tag Eraser

Smart Glasses (busted)

-- Vehicles --
Rover 2072
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:22:15/11-18-14)
Name: Ileana Anghelescu
Alias: The Masked Woman
Race: Human
Sex: Female
Nationality: Saeder-Kruppian?
Ancestry: Romanian
Lifestyle: Middle, safehouse in Aspen
Money: ¥682
Karma Spent: 28 karma + 13 knowledge karma
Current Karma: 0 karma / 1 knowledge karma
Physical Description:1.75m, 55kg. Her long, dark hair pools on her shoulders, and frames her ballistic mask that has a Wiccan pentagram carved ornately on its face. She wears a lined coat over a black jumpsuit, boots, and gloves. She's completely covered, with no skin or other physical features visible.
Personality/background Helpful. As a follower of Hecate, Katsina must render aid to those who truly ask for it. She also tends to render aid to those that don't ask for it. This is balanced by her need for blood to survive, although she tends to downplay this as much as possible. She seems to regret what she is, rather than flaunting it like some vampires do.

Attributes
BodyAgilityReactionStrength
5634 (7)
LogicIntuitionWillpowerCharisma
5663
EdgeMagicEssenceInitiative
2 of 3692d6 + 9
Physical l.Mental l.Social l.Astral l.
6 (8 )868
Physical boxStun boxOverflow
0/117/110

Positive Qualities
NameNotes
Mentor SpiritFire-Bringer. +2 Alchemy, +2 Manipulation
CarromelegIaijutsu

Negative Qualities
NameNotes
Infertile Infected
Distinctive Style

Active Skills
Skill (Spec)Rating          Notes
Blades (Swords)6 ( 8 )+2 weapon focus
Sorcery Skill Group6+2 Manipulation from Mentor Spirit
Alchemy Skill Group5+2 Alchemy focus, +2 Mentor Spirit
Stealth Skill Group3
Astral Combat (sword focus)3 (5)+2 weapon focus
Assensing (Aura Reading)4 (6)
Throwing Weapons (Blades)4 (6)
Perception3+3 Vision from Mask, Improved Senses: Hearing, Scent
Tracking3
Artisan (Carving)2 (4)
Athletics Skill Group2
Computer2
Intimidation2+2 limit from mask
Etiquette1

Knowledge Skills
Area Knowledge: Pueblo Corporate Council3
Magical Theory3
Magical Threats3
Magic Traditions (Wicca)2 (4)
History (Medieval)2 (4)
Paranormal Critters (The Infected)2 (4)
Women's Fashion1

Language Skills
EnglishN
Sperethiel4
Romanian4
Hopi2
Zuñi1

Spells and Preparations
Spell NameCategoryRangeTypeDamageDurationDrainDefaultSourceNotes
Detect Enemies (Extended)DetectionTMN/ASFF3 / D3SR5, p. 286Range = Force * Magic * 10
Physical MaskIllusionTPN/ASF-1F4 / D3SR5, p.291change physical characteristics
InfluenceManipulationLOSMN/APF - 1F4 / D3SR5, p. 293"a powerful post-hypnotic command"
Mana BindManipulationLOSMN/ASF - 2F5 / D3Grimoire, p. 114Every net hit reduces target's Agility by 1
Magic FingersManipulationLOSMN/ASF - 2F5 / D3SR5, p. 294Hits = STR and AGI
Combat Sense (preparation)DetectionT (preparation)MN/A(Potency) minutesF + triggerF3 / D3+1SR5, p. 305Hits = +1 Reaction on Surprise tests, +1 Defense (melee or ranged)
Heal (preparation)HealthT (preparation)MN/APF - 4 + 2F5 / D1+2SR5, p. 288Hits = boxes healed
Increase Strength (preparation)HealthT (preparation)PN/A(Potency) minutesF - 3 + 2F4 / D1+2SR5, p. 288Force must equal or exceed base value. Hits = bonus
Physical Barrier (preparation)ManipulationLOS (A) (preparation)PN/A(Potency) minutesF - 1 + triggerF4 / D3+1SR5, p. 294Structure = Force, Armor = Force+hits, Light Fog, Structure regenerates each Combat Turn

Metamagics
Quickening
Spells quickened: Increase Strength (3 hits), Physical Mask (F6, 6 hits), Detect Enemies Extended (F6, 5 hits), Combat Sense (F6, 3 hits), Combat Sense on Ace (F6, 4 hits)

Contacts
ContactProfessionC/L
DariaWiccan?/?

Gear
Lined Coat (armor 9)
     - Insulation 2
     - Non-Conductivity 2
     - Concealed Quick Draw sheath [4]
     - Gear Access (concealed pockets) for throwing knives [1]

Ballistic Mask - +2 Armor, +2 Social Limit to Intimidation [8]
     - Enchanting Focus 2: "with a Wiccan pentagram ornately carved into its face"
     - Hermes Ikon (rating 5) [2]
     - trodes [1] = DNI
     - Vision Enhancement [3]
     - Internal Air Tank [1]
     - Cyberware Scanner ( Rating 8 ) [1]
     - Maglock (Rating 6)

12 throwing knives (one has Structure -1 from RV crash damage)
     - Acc 6 (8 - Phys. limit), 5P (8P), AP -1
     - Ranges: 4 (7) / 8 (14) / 12 (21) / 20 (28)

Highland Forge Claymore weapon focus
     - Force 2
     - Acc 5, Reach 2, 9P (12P), AP -5
     - Concealability +6 (+2 while sheathed in Lined Coat)

Fake SIN (R1 or R2)
     - Ivana Kutchukokoph
     - Aztechnology Corporate Limited SIN
     - Japanese Elf, Age 18
     - bogus licenses (Registered Awakened, Concealed Carry, Anonymity, to Kill)

Fake SIN (R5 or R6)
     - Ileana Anghelescu
     - Saeder-Krupp Limited SIN
     - Caucasian Human, Age 23
     - Registered Awakened (You are listed as a Spellcaster and Enchanter)
     - Talismonger License (An international license permitting you to operate as a Talismonger)
     - Weapon Focus License (Claymore)
     - Enchanting Focus License (Mask)

100 Reagents

pictures of mountains (lots)

Team Inventory
Fairlight Caliban
Erika Elite
Beretta 201T Light Pistol, loaded with explosive rounds
2 clips Light Pistol ammo, loaded with regular ammo
3 clips shotgun ammo, loaded with Stick-N-Shock rounds
3 high explosive grenades (throwing, not mini)
2 smoke grenades (regular, not thermal)
2 flash-bang grenades
1 chemical grenade (tear gas)
3 boxes of shotgun shells
3 clips of flechette ammo (shotgun)
1 Defiance T-250 shotgun + 20 rounds Stick-n-Shock ammo
1 clip of heavy pistol ammo that Doc's Agent ejected from the ork samurai's Ares Predator
1 stim patch (Rating 6)
1 trauma patch
1 respirator (rating 1)
1 alchemy kit
1 gecko tape gloves
1 binoculars
1 Rating 6 medkit (1 use remaining) w/ 1 refill
1 Rating 5 medkit (all uses remaining) w 1 refill
1 Rating 4 medkit (all uses remaining) w 1 refill
1 cooler with frozen food
4 bloodpacks (500ml)
The hunter's weapons
1 Pioneer 60 + flechette ammo (from Mr. Moran's cabin)
1 Springfield 1911M + regular + hollow-point ammo (from Mr. Moran's cabin)
1 R4 glhoopes (image link, flare comp, vision enhancement II) from the troll driver of the Bulldog
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:23:24/11-18-14)
Thank you, everyone, for getting your sheets/placeholders up in a timely manner. Here is what's next:

1) Ryo has told me what's in the crate. I asked a couple follow-up questions. Once I know more, I'll start a Chapter II for the IC. We'll leave Poindexter's question as the cliffhanger completing Chapter 1 and then start Chapter 2 with the unveiling of the crate.

2) In the meantime, please scan through the Chapter 1 threads and update/prettify your sheets.

3) Edge refreshes now.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:12:14/11-19-14)
Aww yiss. The IC thread for Chapter II is up and open for posting.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.0 (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.0)

Ryo has delivered the character sheets, including 10 pages of background for the characters. This is in addition to the three pages of plot, backstory, and clarifications he already sent. Judging from the timestamps on the PMs this took 3+ hours to pull together, so let's give Ryo all due credit for 1) getting the game off the ground and 2) passing along the materials to keep it going. There's a ton of content here, all of it indicating a tremendous amount of thought and planning. My primary goal at this point is to not frag it up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (03:28:43/11-19-14)
I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (11:18:31/11-19-14)
Thanks for all of the work, and for passing it along. Amazing Ryo, just amazing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (11:56:16/11-19-14)
We'll miss ya Ryo.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:50:16/11-19-14)
Thank you for allowing us to continue playing your awesome creation, Ryo! I hope all is well on your end.



Just so I'm sure, the crate is still in the Rover; Ohanzee just opened it up from the trunk (or backseat)? Because that things was fraggin' heavy to pull the first time.

I feel I may be missing something.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:01:45/11-19-14)
Crate is in the back of the Rover, yes. There is no "backseat" since the rear seating was removed to accommodate the horned bear that the hunters had captured. There are seats for the driver and a passenger but everyone else is in the back on the bloodstain that used to be the bear's head.

In my head, Ohanzee is doing this from inside the Rover - mostly because it's cold outside and the team needs to get moving - but that was never explicitly stated.

Chino is driving (or at least in the driver's seat). Katsina and Ohanzee are in the back. Ace, Sam, and Crumpled are unaccounted for. The passenger's seat is unclaimed but you have to look at a bloody dashboard that represents what's left of APB.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:29:12/11-19-14)
AFAIK, Crumpled never left the van.  Thought he was doing everything in the Matrix?
Once he gets the messages from Sam he immediately jumps into VR  and begins searching for the comms so he can make sure there are no more surprise attackers. Once he finds the 5 comms he sends a message to the others.

<<<Found 5 comms but I'm still missing the deck that I was cracking. Here are the locations...(Insert ARO overlay with locations.)

I'm going to listen in to their chatter and let you know what they are doing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (13:34:05/11-19-14)
Sam has been sitting on the floor of the rover.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:42:21/11-19-14)
Noted, thanks.

Next Steps
1) 8-bit: Chino starts driving
2) Everyone: react to what's in the crate, or don't
3) Everyone: whatever else you're going to do in the 15 or so minutes until you get to Aspen
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:56:33/11-19-14)
I'll have the agent start running a search for image matches on the oblisk.
Agent's Matrix Search on Oblisk (http://orokos.com/roll/233199): 14d6t5 6

While the agent is doing that, I'm going to see if there's anything I can do to recover data from my ruined deck, and if I've any other commlinks or such.
data recovery from deck hardware(4)+logic(9)-wound(1)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/233200): 12d6t5 4

IC post to follow.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:05:25/11-19-14)
@Poindexter: I think I got a little lost going between the IC and OOC threads.  Does Crumpled know that he's been part of "Blue" team from before this mission or not?  Have you shared the info you've gathered with everyone?  If you have (or at least shared it with him), he's going to ask you for some information about himself as I don't see a commlink or any info found on him.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:10:25/11-19-14)
I have gotten a little separated between the two teams. I think "Red" team is Chino, Ohanzee, Uncle Sam, and Crumpled? I'll do another scan through the previous OOC; sorry for the confusion. Just trying to get my bearings here.

As for what I'll do during the trip, I think Chino has to manually drive, correct? So, I'll probably be busy thinking things through and listening if anyone starts up a conversation.

Edit: Also, I made an assumption that I had gotten out of the car to patch up the gas tank (page 16 of other IC), in case that's causing any conflicting thoughts for anyone.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:14:07/11-19-14)
@Poindexter: I think I got a little lost going between the IC and OOC threads.  Does Crumpled know that he's been part of "Blue" team from before this mission or not?  Have you shared the info you've gathered with everyone?  If you have (or at least shared it with him), he's going to ask you for some information about himself as I don't see a commlink or any info found on him.

I believe so, yes. Although I'll need to go check through the old stuff again to be sure.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:20:03/11-19-14)
Quote from: Pointdexter; Tabula Rasa IC; page 9
"Well... I do have ONE thing to add to it. I believe Chino, Crumple Stilskin, Big "O" right here," he motions to the dwarf as he continues, "and myself have been a team for a while. For the purposes of this discussion, I'll call us blue team. The four of us met the rest of you yesterday. Let's call you red team, shall we? I must assume if you go through your comm history, you'll find something similar. Given this fact, I'm forced to assume that either red team was hired for the job and blue team is extra work put on by the johnson, or vice versa. Follow me?"

So, there are the "teams". And I got the colors mixed up, my bad.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:23:07/11-19-14)
Cool.  I'll post IC then.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:24:39/11-19-14)
In my head, Ohanzee is doing this from inside the Rover - mostly because it's cold outside and the team needs to get moving - but that was never explicitly stated.
Yes, he waited until the rover was moving before attempting to open the crate.


Just a reminder to Zweiblumen that Ohanzee would like to have his contacts and commlink added to Crumpled's PAN.


Also, the suggestion was on the table to have Crumpled look into any contacts that people chose to share, if the new players want to see if we can learn more about our past and our options going forward through them.


Moving forward, Ohanzee will see if there is anything else he can gather from his commlink.
Also, he'd like to know if he has any spells or skills that might assist in disguising his appearance. We'll need a place to stay, and it might be useful to stay anonymous. To that end, we need to find a hotel/motel/Holiday Inn that will take credits and not require ID - I'm not entirely sure our SINs are not being tracked.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:30:25/11-19-14)
Yes, he waited until the rover was moving before attempting to open the crate.

Ah... Oops. I'll edit my IC to reflect the fact we are already moving.

I'm not entirely sure our SINs are not being tracked.

Or, in the case of Crumpled and Chino, we don't have any SINs. So, definitely need a place that doesn't require them.

Edit: Ok, post edited. Didn't change much, just made it en route, instead of before we were moving.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:31:33/11-19-14)
Sounds like we've got is straight but just to be explicit:

Blue Team
Chino
Sam
Ohanzee
Crumpled

Red Team
APB (retired)
Ace
Katsina

Zweiblumen, the signal connection out here is weak. Noise is currently 3 due your distance from town and the heavy snow currently in progress. Given the obscure nature of the object, the duration of the search could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:44:19/11-19-14)
Zweiblumen, the signal connection out here is weak. Noise is currently 3 due your distance from town and the heavy snow currently in progress. Given the obscure nature of the object, the duration of the search could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours.

Given the other modifiers on that search, I'm guessing that takes 5 dice away from that pool, which would be a fail for the 12 hour put still succeed for the 30 min one.  I'm fine with the Agent spending that kind of time on it.  I can call it off of the search if I need it before it completes.

Just a reminder to Zweiblumen that Ohanzee would like to have his contacts and commlink added to Crumpled's PAN.


Also, the suggestion was on the table to have Crumpled look into any contacts that people chose to share, if the new players want to see if we can learn more about our past and our options going forward through them.

Argh, yeah, I'll update my initial post to make sure everyone is on my PAN.  As for doing the deep search, I'll work on that once I find out about my old deck.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (15:34:35/11-19-14)
Following Ohanzee's suggestion, could I make a Navigation roll? We've been using AR maps, so maybe something along those lines would help. Then again, I could see the reasons for it not being useful; especially since I don't know or remember anything about the area.

I could also try a Matrix Search, but I'm probably defaulting and going to lose all my dice to noise.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:10:05/11-19-14)
If I can't do anything with/about my deck I'll run a few matrix searches... also, folks have some contacts on their comms as I recall.  Maybe one of you reaches out to someone?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:11:53/11-19-14)
What's the goal of the Navigation roll? You know where you are, specifically Highway 82 headed west-northwest into Aspen. If you're looking for a place to stay, that would be more of a local area knowledge roll rather than Navigation.

Working on an IC post to cover Crumpled's hardware roll.

Calling contacts is an option but keep in mind that it is getting close to 2AM.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (16:19:33/11-19-14)
What's the goal of the Navigation roll? You know where you are, specifically Highway 82 headed west-northwest into Aspen. If you're looking for a place to stay, that would be more of a local area knowledge roll rather than Navigation.

I was just wondering if there were any options (like local hotels or something) that would be visible on an AR map. Probably not though.

Outside of that, I think Chino is just going to quietly drive us towards Aspen; there's not much else he can do.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:05:44/11-19-14)
Did Ryo give folks points to spend in Knowledge Skills?  And if so, is there any record of Ravensoracle having spent any of them?  If not, I'll definetly pick up some AK (Aspen) and AK (Denver) (probably a few others as well).

Either way, I'd like Crumpled to make a AK (Aspen) to find a place for us to lay low, also maybe something to dig up some kind of contact he may have in the area.  Also, did anyone try and contact Reggie's hookup?  I lost track of that thread.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (17:27:13/11-19-14)
Did Ryo give folks points to spend in Knowledge Skills?

Quote from: Tabula Rasa Chapter 1, OOC; Page 1
7: The Crumpled Man. Played by: Ravensoracle
Knowledge Points: 16

Looking at his sheet, it seems he did not spend any.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:36:29/11-19-14)
IC post to follow, but based on the IC from Tecumseh, it looks like we're going to have to find an unoccupied private residence.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:37:33/11-19-14)
YES, Ryo did give people knowledge skill points to spend. I was going to mention that but it got lost in the mix. Thank you for the reminder. Here's what people have left:

1: The Troll.
Knowledge Points: 11
Spent: 7 (Firearms 3 was free)
Remaining: 4

3: The Human.
Knowledge Points: 10
Spent: 0
Remaining: 10

4: The Dwarf.
Knowledge Points: 10
Spent: 6 (Magical Artifacts 4 was free)
Remaining: 4

5: The Ork.
Knowledge Points: 12
Spent: 2
Remaining: 10

6: The Masked Woman.
Knowledge Points: 18
Spent: 18
Remaining: 0

7: The Crumpled Man.
Knowledge Points: 16
Spent: 0
Remaining: 16
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:40:33/11-19-14)
Also, Reggie's connection in Aspen was Vinny the Bear. The group has Vinny's commcode, and he is expecting the delivery of his horned bear presently. It has not been pursued beyond that, although Ohanzee was familiar with the name via his Organized Crime knowledge skill.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:56:12/11-19-14)
The other thing I forgot: Ohanzee does not have any skills or spells related to disguise or altering his appearance.

Katsina's alchemical preparation, Combat Sense @ F5:

Magic 6 + Alchemy 5 + Enchanting Focus 2 + Mentor Spirit 2 - stun 1 - sustaining 2 = 5 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4723391/)
Soaking F + 1 (contact trigger) = 6 drain = 6 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4723393/), phew no drain

Final result is Force 5, Potency 5.

Please let me know if there are other questions outstanding that I have missed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:12:37/11-19-14)
Also, Reggie's connection in Aspen was Vinny the Bear. The group has Vinny's commcode, and he is expecting the delivery of his horned bear presently. It has not been pursued beyond that, although Ohanzee was familiar with the name via his Organized Crime knowledge skill.
Yeah, we can contact him, but it would be best to leave out the hunters and the horned bear altogether. He's not likely to be in a good mood about not getting his pet. It might be best to contact him in a few days after he's had a chance to cool off. In IC, Ohanzee has put the option on the table (in the old thread) but is currently working under the assumption that we won't be contacting him this evening.


Roll for astral perception (guaranteed to suck as 6 dice). Willing to use it as part of a teamwork roll with Katsina if she wants:
Astral Perception (looking for pursuers) [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 2] (http://orokos.com/roll/233242): 6d6t5 1
Predictable. Though narrowly avoiding a glitch is nice.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:24:29/11-19-14)
Katsina has a Detect Enemies (Extended) spell up. It's F4 so it reaches out 240 meters. I'm not sure if she mentioned it explicitly but it's not a secret. Ohanzee would see her sustaining the spell when he assenses.

The surrounding forest is bright and obscures astral vision past the treeline. Checking the road and the skies is easy enough. You don't see anyone else. It's a quiet, snowy night in the mountains.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:41:52/11-19-14)
Rolling area knowledge to see if I can come up with a good place to hole up for the night.
AK - Aspen (2) + Intuition (4) - wound(1) = 5 (http://orokos.com/roll/233243): 5d6t5 2

And IIRC APB got the marks on the Van.  Did she invite marks from Chino and Crumpled at the time?  Otherwise I'll have to re-hack it.  But should be able to fairly easily with a direct connection.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:02:40/11-19-14)
When Crumpled thinks about what he knows of the area, he feels his brain working in an unusual way. Crumpled has the Qualia treatment from Augmentations:

Quote
Qualia: Derived from a reptilian species, this hormone
stimulates neural activity in the reptilian hind mind and the sensory-
dedicated lobes, ultimately affecting the intuitive subconscious
grasp of sensory information. Qualia is believed to be a form of
organic storage of raw empirical data associated with prior sensory
stimuli, which can reinforce a subject’s ability to absorb and react
to input from their environment (even on a subconscious level).
Characters with this modification receive a +1 dice pool modifier
to all Intuition-linked skill tests.

If you want to roll an extra die, you may. Two hits - and the fluff of the genetic treatment - is enough to remember that houses are more common on the outskirts of town, which happens to be where you are now. The middle of the town is more condos, apartments, hotels, etc. There are houses in the middle of town too but they're more tightly-packed and the urban density will make it harder to go unseen. Alternatively, the density could also help you blend in during the day, but not at this time of night when the good boys and girls are in bed.

You have two turns coming up: Stillwater Drive on the left and Lupine Drive on the right. Either will take you up and away from the road toward fancy houses that you may or may not be able to afford yourself if you ever manage to sell this huge chunk of metal.

APB did get marks on the van. I do not think she invited marks from anyone else. It wouldn't have been in her character, anyway. Let's say you have to re-hack it.

If anyone is wondering what I share ICly versus OOCly, it varies. I could probably post a version of this information ICly for expediency's sake, but often I prefer to give the PCs the information to RP around and present in their own fashion. Otherwise the IC forum just becomes a long series of GM posts and I'll get tired of hearing my own voice.

I've got my Wednesday night game coming up so I won't be updating much more until late tonight or tomorrow morning.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:10:59/11-19-14)
I rolled it.  extra die from Qualia treatment (http://orokos.com/roll/233246): 1d6t5 0 Wasn't a 1, so no glitch either.  That was a bit risky.

Anyway, I'll post IC with reguards to this.

Also, I don't have the Augmentations book.  This is a bioware?

Edit:
Do we still have Reggie's commlink?  If we got rid of it, I can't spoof command as he's long gone at this point.
If it's gone, when the time comes I'll just get three marks and do a control device to put it on auto pilot to run until its out of gas.  Will rely on Sam to handle the demolitions side of things.
If we have the commlink, I'll use that to invite marks from chino and let him drive it wherever is best.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:26:23/11-19-14)
It's a genetic treatment. Specifically, it's a type of enhanced protein exchange. Crumpled has a high enough Biotech skill that he may know and understand what this means, even without the precise knowledge skills.

Quote
Transgenics refers to inserting genes that originate from either non-metahuman species or de novo designs. These can lead to major metabolic or phenotypic alteration. They are considered “foreign” in terms of biological systemic stress and cause Essence loss. ... Trangenics encompasses all treatments by which non-metahuman genes and traits are spliced into the recipient’s genome.

Quote
Enhanced Protein Exchange
Exchanging the genes of key proteins for optimized versions can alter bodily functions with an adjuvant effect. Similarly, specially designed synthetic proteins can be added to the subject’s genome to optimize the efficiency of various processes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:36:02/11-19-14)
It's a genetic treatment. Specifically, it's a type of enhanced protein exchange. Crumpled has a high enough Biotech skill that he may know and understand what this means, even without the precise knowledge skills.

Quote
Transgenics refers to inserting genes that originate from either non-metahuman species or de novo designs. These can lead to major metabolic or phenotypic alteration. They are considered “foreign” in terms of biological systemic stress and cause Essence loss. ... Trangenics encompasses all treatments by which non-metahuman genes and traits are spliced into the recipient’s genome.

Quote
Enhanced Protein Exchange
Exchanging the genes of key proteins for optimized versions can alter bodily functions with an adjuvant effect. Similarly, specially designed synthetic proteins can be added to the subject’s genome to optimize the efficiency of various processes.
Guess my question was, where do I put this on his char sheet? :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (19:40:49/11-19-14)
I was under the impression that we were about to run out of gas shortly after hitting Aspen. Chino have any ideas how much farther they can go?

Assuming we want to still keep this obelisk thing, it is not going to be subtle trying to carry the thing on Uncle Sam's back. We need the car to not break down before we get to wherever we are going.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:50:00/11-19-14)
Ohanzee will be using levitate on it. Not exactly less conspicuous, but at least easier.


I was contemplating using one of the commlinks we procured from the hunters or soldiers as an upgrade for my Renraku Sensei and it got me thinking about the rules on ownership. It takes at least an hour to illegally change ownership (assuming you roll awesome and get 24 hits on your first roll, assuming you can even ROLL that many dice). Which means Crumpled, with his 13 dice, would need about 6 hours on average to change ownership on the deck he liberated. I doubt he had that kind of time. So should it be suspect, or are we using different rules for illegally changing owners?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (21:07:13/11-19-14)
Ohanzee will be using levitate on it. Not exactly less conspicuous, but at least easier.

Gotcha. Still probably want to see if I can coax the car into driving off into the sunset (well, not really) as we plan to ditch it, right?

I was contemplating using one of the commlinks we procured from the hunters or soldiers as an upgrade for my Renraku Sensei and it got me thinking about the rules on ownership. It takes at least an hour to illegally change ownership (assuming you roll awesome and get 24 hits on your first roll, assuming you can even ROLL that many dice). Which means Crumpled, with his 13 dice, would need about 6 hours on average to change ownership on the deck he liberated. I doubt he had that kind of time. So should it be suspect, or are we using different rules for illegally changing owners?

Perhaps he picked it up the day of, not necessarily during the run. Or, he could have rolled 20 dice with his 7 Edge and gotten a bunch of exploding 6s.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:24:28/11-20-14)
@Zweiblumen, right now you have a combined cyber/bioware section on your sheet so you can safely put the genetic modification under there. If you intend to split the sections at some point, you can put the Qualia with bioware.

@8-bit, Chino is guessing that the van has five minutes of gas left. Should be enough to find a house but not enough to lurk or idle for long. If you're particularly efficient in getting everyone out of the vehicle and turning it around it might be able to get out of town before taking a swan dive off a cliff, but it would be very close to town when it did so. Otherwise, you'll need to find some more fuel for its final voyage.

@Malevolence, I had the same thought about how long it would take to transfer ownership of the cyberdeck. I agree that in most circumstances it would take Crumpled 7+ hours to transfer ownership using the threshold of 24 from the core rulebook (and subtracting a die at every interval). Even with Edge it would take 4+ hours on average. It's also true that we don't know when he previous deck was shot, but it stands to reason that if it happened prior to the run then he probably wouldn't have brought the broken thing with him. We might need to hand wave this one a bit, since odds are good that it's been less than 4 hours since the completion of the run.

Separately, the crate weighs somewhere between 300 and 400kg. Lifting and carrying it would require a combined Strength of 30 (Strength * 10 kg plus hits from a Bod+Str test) and probably something to distribute the load evenly since you can't get 4 people around a 1m3 crate. I think Ryo let Sam and Chino get away with it because 1) they were on snow and it was sliding, and 2) GrimWulf was being a little slow on the uptake in exploring Ohanzee's spell list. Levitate is definitely the way to go.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (05:37:55/11-20-14)
I accounted for time when I wrote that part and used the normal hardware rules. Hmm...Probably should have mentioned how that worked in my PMs to Tecumseh.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:13:18/11-20-14)
@Ryo, thanks for all the work you've put into this, and for letting your baby be raised by another.

@All, sorry for my absence yesterday.  Looks like things are off to a brisk pace.  Yay!  Excited.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:40:22/11-20-14)
I accounted for time when I wrote that part and used the normal hardware rules. Hmm...Probably should have mentioned how that worked in my PMs to Tecumseh.
Thanks for letting Tecumseh keep this alive, and thank you for giving this beautiful baby a life. And it's awesome that you are still keeping tabs on it for situations like this.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:57:00/11-20-14)
When we decide to ditch the rover, here are my rolls for Levitating the crate. I will attempt to close the crate as much as possible before doing so.
Levitate Force 6:

Levitate the crate [Magic 6 + Sorcery 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wounds 2] (http://orokos.com/roll/233374): 11d6t5 5
Resist F-2 (4) drain:
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/233381): 13d6t5 5


The centering didn't provide any successes, so if using it would be too conspicuous, I can omit it without issue. Even if it had provided a hit, I'd still have the needed 4 hits to resist the drain completely. I just opted to include it just in case using it would not attract unwanted attention.


I only need 2 hits on Levitate, but I still cast at force 6 for the 6m/CT movement rate.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:17:52/11-20-14)
@Tecumseh: what's the noise level now?  I want to start looking at what kinds of devices are active in houses looking for one that's unoccupied.

Lemme know what kinds of rolls you want for that.  I'd guess Matrix Perception, but not sure.

I'm not sure I followed the whole sequence for ownership of the deck, now I'm all paranoid, but don't know how to bring that information to my characters attention.  AFAIK he's confident that he's the owner of the deck.  That said, I think doing a through scrub/search of all devices once we get into a house would be a good idea, that and some sleep.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:23:19/11-20-14)
@Tecumseh: what's the noise level now?  I want to start looking at what kinds of devices are active in houses looking for one that's unoccupied.
On this subject, with 3 Datajacks the 3 noise from before should have been completely negated, unless that was what was left over after the NR from the Datajacks was taken into account. Or if we are playing by rules where the bonus from multiple Jacks doesn't stack. I wasn't clear on that.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:43:40/11-20-14)
I think Ryo's motivation for letting me take over was that he wanted to see all of his groundwork come to fruition. I fully expect that he'll be keeping tabs on things throughout the game. On that note:

@Zweiblumen: Ryo wrote me a more detailed explanation of what happened pre-amnesia, which included a description of how Crumpled got his new deck. I retract my previous statements about the time it takes to change ownership being greater than the downtime available during the run. That's OOC math, and it turns out that Ryo was well aware of the rules and rolled accordingly. ICly, Crumpled should feel confident in his ownership of the deck.

@Zweiblumen, part II: Noise levels for targets within 100m are 0. Targets up to 1km away are at Noise level 1, although it might be higher the further you go due to trees and other obstructions. A datajack with wireless enabled will reduce the Noise penalty by 1. Personally, I rule that datajack noise reduction does not stack with multiple datajacks. (I am unclear on how multiple datajacks would be of any benefit simultaneously, although I am also unclear of how a wireless benefit can be used to offset a wireless penalty. But let's not go too far down that rabbit hole.) Yes, start with Matrix Perception.

@Malevolence: If you include Centering in the Drain roll then we'll need to keep it part of the IC casting. This is to avoid OOC knowledge of when Centering is necessary/beneficial and when it isn't. That said, you can cast the spell from the privacy of the Rover so that your Centering is not causing a fuss outside where people can see you. Was Ohanzee's Centering method identified? I presume it is singing/chanting/dancing, but a quick search of the Chapter I threads didn't turn anything up.

I am using Google Maps for a layout of the city streets. Obviously the housing will have changed over the next 60 years but we'll keep the roadways largely the same. See here: http://goo.gl/maps/pT8GG (http://goo.gl/maps/pT8GG).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (15:10:28/11-20-14)
Okay, if Ohanzee decides we should stay out in the 'burbs I'll have Crumpled/Doc (I like that nick name and will start answering to it more and more IC) drop into VR and communicate via text with everyone while he searches for a few house options.  Otherwise I'll have him just be on the lookout in AR while we are downtown.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:09:50/11-20-14)
That said, you can cast the spell from the privacy of the Rover so that your Centering is not causing a fuss outside where people can see you. Was Ohanzee's Centering method identified? I presume it is singing/chanting/dancing, but a quick search of the Chapter I threads didn't turn anything up.
I included the Centering in case I couldn't be available for the roll so things weren't held up. But it doesn't really matter for this one as yes, he could do it in the rover before exiting.
His Centering method is chanting/singing in Lakota, similar to Native American chants as depicted in the Trids (or modern day movies IRL). No dancing, just chanting/singing at about talking volume. It'd be unmistakable at the same distance as a conversation unless the ambient noise it really loud.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (17:21:32/11-20-14)
Quote from: Malevolence
So, first thing, make sure external surveillance in the neighborhood is taken care of so we can't be tracked easily. Second, crack the car so you can command it to commit suicide.

Chino is going to try and look for a (semi-)discreet place to park the car for surveillance (Crumpled can take care of Matrix, Ohanzee and Masked Astral, and we can all help out with physical). Hopefully I can get the thing moving again if we do need to move out. Although, at this point, we're into the suburbs and I doubt moving around in the bullet-ridden Rover is going to allow us to sneak around.

Actually, looking at my sheet, it doesn't seem Chino has ever performed Perception (or he doesn't have it).

Intuition (3) + Perception (?) + Specifically Looking (3? Not sure if it applies) ± Environmental Modifiers (Not sure what I'm under, at the moment) [Mental]
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:26:40/11-20-14)
When Doc/Crumpled set up the party wide PAN where there any audio devices in there?  Like someone's cyberears or audio enhancers?  I plan on using Sam's goggles for a visual feed, but need something else for an audio.  Don't want to make everyone text everything while I'm in VR.  Actually, he should be able to set up AR/VR windows for each feed so he could keep an eye on what's going on from multiple angles.  Hrm, he's already got the Trid knowledge, maybe add production/AV editing as another knowledge background.  I can see him being into that.

Anyway, I digress.  Doc/Crump will slip into VR and start working with the Agent on local surveillance while looking for suitable houses.  Guess I'm pulling the Agent off that search and will have to start it again once we get settled.

I'm worried about being able to keep up with the speed the van is moving and finding cameras, hacking into them, editing the video feed then getting out.  If there is more than one or two this seems more like something to do at a walking pace.  OOC input from others on this, or should I bring this up IC?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (17:28:16/11-20-14)
Chino has some Earbuds w/ Audio Enhancement 3.

That's why I'm looking for a semi-discreet place to go; we need time to get stuff set up for looping and stuff; we just can't stop moving with our limited fuel.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (17:29:55/11-20-14)
I'm bout to need to bone up on the demolitions rules here, aint I?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:56:56/11-20-14)
@8-bit: Thanks!  Maybe stop, kill the motor?

@Tecumseh: how far is the nearest cliff to us?

@all: once we come to a stop, I'll plug into the car with one of my datajacks then drop to VR and get started on the search.

For clearification my goals:
1) get 3 marks on the car so I can tell to take a long walk off a short cliff
2) find local video cameras and loop them
3) find quiet house (will need to work with the mages on this as just because a house is dark doesn't mean it's empty)
4) hack the house to gain entry
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:09:27/11-20-14)
I may not have been clear. It was mentioned that we had a choice of two streets near each other (Lupine and Stillwater) off of the main street (the 82) that had private residences on them. My plan is that we will be parking near the intersection of the main road into town that we are currently on, and Lupine (the first road we come across) - about 100m from the intersection so that we are still hidden from surveillance on that road. Sam will do his thing with the boom-boom, and then you will command it to drive back out of town and off a convenient cliff or cliff-like slope so that it isn't visible from the road (and hopefully the kaboom and ensuing fire will go unnoticed). From there we will be walking making the task of hiding us from cameras simpler for you. From there we should have little trouble walking to whatever house we decide on.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:31:39/11-20-14)
@8-Bit: Chino's Perception skill is 4. You have low-light vision and there's enough ambient light that there's no environmental modifier for that. The snow and wind would affect shooting but the storm isn't heavy enough at this point to block your vision of the immediate area. You can add the +3 from actively looking for something.

@Zweiblumen: Nearest cliff is 6 kilometers back the way you came, just southeast of Difficult Campground. If the Rover runs out of gas en route, it will be able to coast for a short distance.

@Zweiblumen, part II: Go ahead and start your rolling. Go ahead and do it in batches.

@Poindexter: Maybe! Could be fun, right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (18:49:49/11-20-14)
@8-Bit: Chino's Perception skill is 4. You have low-light vision and there's enough ambient light that there's no environmental modifier for that. The snow and wind would affect shooting but the storm isn't heavy enough at this point to block your vision of the immediate area. You can add the +3 from actively looking for something.

All right, thanks!

Perception (4) + Intuition (3) + Specifically Looking (3) (http://orokos.com/roll/233438): 10d6t5 4 [1, 4, 5, 2, 6, 1, 5, 1, 6, 3]

That went well. Hopefully, I find a convenient clearing that is just out of sight. One can never be too hopeful!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:08:02/11-20-14)
8-bit, you find a spot under some evergreen trees. The trees are keeping the snow from being too deep underneath their canopies (so the Rover can pass in and out of the clearing without plowing through a meter of snow) while blocking sight lines. It won't hide the vehicle from a dedicated search but it should be enough to disrupt casual observers. Go ahead and post as much.

Looking around, Chino doesn't see any other people or vehicles. Where you are looks completely deserted at the moment. (Just to be clear, it's almost 2am on February 1, 2075. This is very early on a Friday morning.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:10:50/11-20-14)
Jacking into the car and hacking:
hacking the van hacking(6)+logic(9)+VR(2)-Wound(1)=16 (http://orokos.com/roll/233440): 16d6t5 7 (limit 5)
twice more for 3 marks:
hacking the van hacking(6)+logic(9)+VR(2)-Wound(1)=16 (twice more) (http://orokos.com/roll/233441): 2#16d6t5 6 5 (limit 5)
That *should* get me 3 marks
Setting the delayed order to drive to the cliff:
Delayed Order Van to go to the cliff EW(6)+Logic(9)+VR(2)-Wound(1)=16 (http://orokos.com/roll/233442): 16d6t5 7 (limit 5)

Searching for cameras over our chosen route for 1km:
(still not sure how looking for specific things in the matrix works.  If I'm reading this correctly, I can see everything that's not running silent automatically within 100m, and then I get to ask questions for every hit I get on a search?  Either way, here's mine and the agents searchs:
Doc Search for cameras etc Computer(5)+Int(5)+VR(2)-Noise(1)+Datajack(1)-Wound(1) = 11 (http://orokos.com/roll/233443): 11d6t5 4 (limit 6)
Agent's Matrix Search for cameras: Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls = 14 (http://orokos.com/roll/233444): 14d6t5 7 (I don't know what it's limit is)

Will roll for looping video once I get a better idea of what I'm doing there.  IC Post on its way
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:30:32/11-20-14)
Seems a good time to bring up that when Crumpled reboots to clear his OS (most likely once we are safely in a house), my gear is set to automatically invite marks from him so that he can re-add me to his PAN.


Also, when he does matrix searches, does one hit automatically spot hidden devices (within 100m), or does he have to specifically state that is one of the things he is looking for?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (20:00:53/11-20-14)
Just to be clear; since Chino doesn't have much else to do while everyone is figuring out stuff, he's put the unlabeled simchip into his sim module. He is currently in VR in the driver's seat (not sure if someone can wake someone up from VR easily, but I assume his text messaging system is still available).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:03:05/11-20-14)
@Malevolence: Crumpled can spot devices running silent with one net hit on a Matrix Perception test. If the device is running silent it becomes an opposed test. But, yes, that one net hit can be used to ask if there are devices running silent within 100 meters.

@8-bit: Can you give me a reference post for that simchip? I don't have it in my records. I might have to ask Ryo about it. (Alternatively, Ryo, if you're listening.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (20:09:16/11-20-14)
Chino just slotted the simchip? Well, this should be interesting.

PM incoming, Tecumseh.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:10:31/11-20-14)
@Zweiblumen: I'm headed home and will be offline for a few hours. We'll resolve the Matrix actions tonight or tomorrow morning.

@All: I'll see you tomorrow unless Chino has murdered us all. Maybe that's what happened to all the players from Chapter I.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (11:24:41/11-21-14)
Oh ... god.

Might need to take some time to mull over that simchip experience you PM'ed me (great writing btw, still very unsettling).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:41:12/11-21-14)
A few notes:

1) I have a report due on Tuesday so I need to have productive days at work today and Monday. I'll be posting during my breaks (lunch, etc.) but my pace will likely be slower.

2) Since this is a game of incomplete knowledge, both OOC and IC, I am willing to entertain the notion of players PMing each other with private correspondence. I would recommend that you copy me on any such PMs to keep me abreast of character developments, but it is not mandatory if you feel it is best to keep things secret.

3) I am generally a proponent of transparency, but I will occasionally not share dice rolls with you if I am trying to keep a dice pool confidential for a specific reason. Usually I will post them, especially if I think your PC would be able to gauge an opponent's abilities. But if you don't know that you're being watched or you're not sure if a roll is opposed then I will keep a lid on the rolls to preserve the tension and uncertainty. And, naturally, I'll throw fake dice rolls in the mix too, or dice pools that are too large because I'm not going to announce all modifiers, or any other evil combination of distraction and misdirection.

On that note, I'll try to post the hacking results at lunch today.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:46:29/11-21-14)
I suppose I should put this out here as well.

I'll be traveling for Thanksgiving, so from Tuesday to next Saturday, I'll have limited internet access. I'm sure I can find a way to post occasionally, but I probably won't be as active as I normally am.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:04:32/11-21-14)
I'm traveling for the holiday week as well.  I'll keep an eye on email Sunday through Saturday, but will be limited.  That said, I'm an email addict so I'll still be fairly present.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:11:27/11-21-14)
Given how much corps slaves work -- 10-12 hour days 6 days a week -- I'm not convinced that these houses will be occupied at any time on Friday.  That said, I'd like for Ace to make a knowledge check to see if there any corporate holidays at the weekend in question that may tip him off to an influx of eager skiiers. 

Knowledge Check (business + Megacorp) (http://orokos.com/roll/233515): 9d6t5 3

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:07:04/11-21-14)
@Zweiblumen
- You hack into the van and get 3 marks, no problem.
- What action are you using for the delayed order? Judging from the dice pool you went with "Jump into Rigged Device", but Crumpled doesn't have a control rig. 
- Given Doc's non-existent driving skills, using Control Device to pilot the Rover back to the cliff will be problematic at best, especially on wintry roads.
- You can program the Rover to follow GridGuide back to the cliff, but "if you try to do anything GridGuide doesn’t think is wise or safe, the system is going to drag you down."
- One possibility is to let the Rover's Pilot + GridGuide get you back to the cliff and then use a Control Device action to override GridGuide and make the leap.
- Complications include the facts that: wireless will have to stay on, the distance between you and the Rover will create Noise, GridGuide may record the last known location of the Rover.

I'm open to other interpretations/approaches on this.

Search for sensors/cameras:
- You find hidden cameras and sensors within 100 meters on the road to your right (Lupine Drive). Further investigation suggests that this road leads to a corporate-owned development - "Mountain Valley", paradoxically - and is protected accordingly with passive (and possibly active) security measures. These sensors seem designed to track traffic down that road. As you have not yet turned, you are likely outside of their concern.
- Neither you nor the Agent find any hidden cameras or sensors on the road to the left (Stillwater Drive).
- You find traffic and weather cameras/sensors (not hidden) owned by the city about 500 meters ahead of your current position. You are well outside of their range.

I'm going to to let you post this information ICly however you see fit. (Since karma awards are based on RP and participation, I'm often going to pass along information this way so that players can make it their own via their IC posts, e.g. with personas and marks and the like.)

@rednblack
- Today, Friday, February 1st, is National Freedom Day in the UCAS. It originally observed the signing of the 13th Amendment of US (pre-UCAS) Constitution. It is sometimes observed in the UCAS but not by the corporations nor the Pueblo Corporate Council.
- Tomorrow, Saturday, February 2nd, is Groundhog's Day. This is not a corporate holiday; no additional weekend traffic is expected to accompany it.
- That said, there's no reason to be rich if you don't get to enjoy it sometimes. It's entirely possible that some of the corporate higher-ups - the types that would own houses like these - will be working remotely on a Friday or Saturday, or entertaining clients at their homes, or taking a vacation day. This is high-season for Aspen, and if these houses are ever going to be occupied it is going to be now.

@Poindexter
- Let me know what you have planned for the Rover. You have lots of toys.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (17:27:55/11-21-14)
@Poindexter
- Let me know what you have planned for the Rover. You have lots of toys.

These are complicated toys, here. I'm on it though.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:33:00/11-21-14)
@Tecumseh, exactly the info I was after. Thanks. As far as Ace would guess, they've got probably until 10-11 am before the first planes come in and this place comes to life it sounds like.

ETA: Ace's Percpetion Check on the team's six.

Perception Check (http://orokos.com/roll/233573): 7d6t5 1

Well, if a tank rolls up on them, he'll see it coming.  Maybe.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:22:27/11-21-14)
Ace sees snow. Lots of snow. Thermographically, the snow is cold. There's some trees out there too, he's pretty sure.

You can have 3 extra dice for the "actively looking" bonus.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:36:28/11-21-14)
Ace sees snow. Lots of snow. Thermographically, the snow is cold. There's some trees out there too, he's pretty sure.

You can have 3 extra dice for the "actively looking" bonus.

Yes, I do.  That's better.

Perception Check makeup (http://orokos.com/roll/233575): 3d6t5 2
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (19:55:03/11-21-14)
Ok, before i can decide how much explosive to use, i need to know how much dmg this rover can take.
What sorta roll is that?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (20:00:00/11-21-14)
Ok, before i can decide how much explosive to use, i need to know how much dmg this rover can take.
What sorta roll is that?

Edit: Scratch that, found it.

Quote from: Run & Gun; page 186
For a car bomb to be effective, it needs to be able to destroy the body of the vehicle in which it is hidden (typically the trunk, on/near the engine block, or planted on the undercarriage) and still have enough power to cause damage to the surrounding area. Review the Vehicle Damage Threshold table for the type of vehicle being used. The Damage Value given is the average DV necessary to destroy a standard vehicle using an explosive device.

The Vehicle Damage Threshold is located on page 179 of Run & Gun. I believe a Rover counts as a Van.

Not sure if the Demolitions skill is necessary to arrive at the amount, or simply to make the charges and stuff. I can't seem to find a test necessary to find out the above information. I hope I didn't do something bad ...



As a side note, it is possible to reduce the armor of the chassis, and Chino probably could do it if you asked him in IC.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (20:09:30/11-21-14)
The more I think about it, the more I realize we dont really have to destroy the rover. We just have to burn all the evidence out of it. They're GONNA find this rover no matter how tiny the bits we blow it into are, I just wanna make sure their CSI boys dont have any fun bits of blood, hair, and whatnot to play with when they do, right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:22:02/11-21-14)
Yes, generally speaking, this is true. Sam has enough experience with demolitions (rating 4) that he should be able to improvise something if he finds the right components. One option might be gas and something aerosolize/vaporize it before combustion, but first you would need the spare fuel.

A fire spirit would be another approach, but Ohanzee's the wrong tradition for it. I suppose you could do the "Spirit of Man with Innate Spell: Fireball" trick again.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (20:57:01/11-21-14)
Well, Chino is all sorts of screwed up. This should be fun  :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:52:45/11-22-14)
WOAH!  Nice post 8-bit!  (Really, Hack? I like Doc better ;) )

Sorry for the delays today, got busy at work.  Posting the start of the results IC now.  As for my plans with the car, I really thought I could tell the dog-brain to take the road and then drive off the cliff.  I know GG wouldn't let me, but thought the dog-brain would.  If I'm wrong, gotta find some way to invite marks for Chino.  I never got a response about wether we saved that commlink or not.  If so, that'll have the marks on it I need.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:46:50/11-22-14)
WOAH!  Nice post 8-bit!  (Really, Hack? I like Doc better ;) )

Without getting into to much detail; lets just say that the simchip was an ... unsettling experience. Like I said; fun!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:57:19/11-22-14)
@Zweiblumen, if you asked about whether saved the commlink then I totally missed it. (I presume we're talking about Reggie's commlink.) Yes, Katsina saved it. It's a Fairlight Caliban.

@Zweiblumen, part II: Re-reading the Pilot Programs section, I will say that the dog-brain can do it but it will be forced to pass a low-threshold test to deal with the novel/unexpected request. We'll call it 4 dice (Pilot x 2) against a threshold 1 test. If you leave the wireless on, you'll know if it succeeded. If you turn the wireless off, then you'll just have to hope.

@Zweiblumen, part III: Hearing the name "Doc" sounds familiar to Crumpled. If and when Chino calls Crumpled "Hack" in person or via text, that will sound familiar too. He will remember that both have been used to address him in the past.

If there are other questions I have missed, please remind me.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (11:25:38/11-22-14)
Nope, was just talking OOC. Chino was doing all of that in his head. Doc/Crumpled/Hack don't know shit.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:09:12/11-22-14)
@Poindexter: In case it wasn't clear, my response to your last OOC post was confirming the relative ease of destroying the DNA in the van (versus exploding the van into smithereens, which is also viable).

@Zweiblumen: Let's see if we can get the Matrix stuff done before you start traveling. If necessary, you can tell me the actions and I can do the rolling. The houses are not running silent so you can spot them with one hit on a Matrix Perception test. You have enough dice to buy that hit so we'll say you can find their WANs without issue. From there I presume you will want to get a mark to enter the host so that you can begin nosing around.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:55:54/11-23-14)
Some updates. I've compiled a spreadsheet for the sheets that Ryo has provided me versus what you've learned about yourselves so far. Everyone still has 6-10 different things that they haven't discovered about themselves yet. Attributes, skills, qualities, spells/powers, etc. On that note, I picked up on some oversights of things that should have come to light:

@Malevolence
And, ideally, without exposing our faces to anyone, including lobby cameras. Disguises would be useful.

While thinking of ways to disguise himself, Ohanzee remembers that he has the Improved Invisibility spell.


@Zweiblumen
Searching for cameras over our chosen route for 1km:
(still not sure how looking for specific things in the matrix works.  If I'm reading this correctly, I can see everything that's not running silent automatically within 100m, and then I get to ask questions for every hit I get on a search?  Either way, here's mine and the agents searchs:
Doc Search for cameras etc Computer(5)+Int(5)+VR(2)-Noise(1)+Datajack(1)-Wound(1) = 11 (http://orokos.com/roll/233443): 11d6t5 4 (limit 6)

The search comes remarkably easy for Doc/Hack. He has the quality Codeslinger (Matrix Perception). He receives a +2 dice modifer for all Matrix Perception tests.


@8-bit
The original message which told Novocrane that Chino has 3 Edge was a typo. Chino actually has Edge 4.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (22:36:40/11-23-14)
Awesome! Might be worth applying to the crate while we levitate it around the neighborhood.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:54:11/11-23-14)
Are we wating for me for something?  I feel like we are.
@Tecumseh: I'm not sure I've checked for all of the programs available on the deck, just the ones running (though that may be all of them).  I'd like to see what I have available, specifically looking for baby monitor.  My OC shouldn't be that high yet, but will start getting there soon given I hacked the van already.

Re: the commlink, that should be able to just control the car via wireless... I suggest handing it to Chino and letting him at it.

Re: Houses:
Going to run a Matrix Percep against each of them:
2 Matrix Perceptions on the Houses/Hosts: Computer (5) + Int (5) + CodeSlinger (2) + VR (2) - Noise (1) + Data Jack (1) - Wounds (1) = 13 (http://orokos.com/roll/233885): 2#13d6t5 5 8 (Limit 6)
As they aren't running silent I get 5 and 6 questions respectively?  Don't think I'm going to need all of them, want the same questions answered for each one:
#1 What is the host/device rating
#2 What marks are on the host
#3 Are there any silent running icons near by

(As a n3wb I'm open to suggestions for other questions)

From there, my preference is for the north house over the middle one, but if there's a big difference in host rating I'll go for the easier target first.  Once there I'll want to get a mark via Hack On The Fly to get in and start snooping around, see what kinds of devices are there specifically looking for physical security.  I'll also look for info on the owner, and if I can find it a calendar for them.

Lets start with that (hopefully the north house), if that doesn't provide the info we are looking for I'll move on and do the same to the next one.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (23:18:22/11-23-14)
What grid it is on, what type of icon (host or device), and the firewall rating if it is a host (as that is what it will be defending with - along with host rating - for most of your actions).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:00:50/11-24-14)
Hosts are on all grids iirc, the firewall rating in addition to the host rating will be handy.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:46:42/11-24-14)
@8-bit
The original message which told Novocrane that Chino has 3 Edge was a typo. Chino actually has Edge 4.

All right, updated. Thanks!

As for posting, I've simply been busy. Between Thanksgiving coming up, and a big paper I have due soon, I've been rather busy. I'll see if I can get something up soon.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:22:01/11-24-14)
Action is primarily on Zweiblumen right now so it's understandable that there hasn't been much happening ICly. If we can finish the hacking within the next day or two then that will give everyone else an opportunity to get more involved. Monday will be a slower day for me too since I'll be burning rubber on a report due Tuesday morning.

@Zweiblumen
1. Both of the houses are on the Local Grid. The local grid is called AspeNet and is provided by the PCC itself (since the PCC is a corporation in its own right). The Local Grid is superb, as "Pueblo is well known for its cutting edge Matrix systems, computer engineering, and even its spectacular public AR systems" (per Sixth World Almanac, p. 182). Once inside, you realize there is no Noise for targets within 1 km. Noise outside of that range is uncertain.
2. The Host Rating of the middle house is 3. The north house is rating 4.
3. The Firewall Rating of the middle house is 5. The north house is rating 7.
4. Neither host has any marks on it.
5. You need to be in a host to see if there are any icons running silently within it. Using the the Perception action to search nearby, you do not see any icons running silent. Looks like a relatively quiet neighborhood.

I figure you'll want to start with the softer target. I'll roll that out. I'm going to presume that you spend an action to swap Data Processing with Sleaze, so Sleaze is now 6.

6. Hacking on the Fly: Logic 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - 1 Wounds: 9 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4727118/) (Limit 6)
7. Host resists: ??? hits
8. You get a mark on the host.
9. You use the mark to enter the host. The house now considers you a valid guest.
10. Snooping around, you find a ton of domestic devices (refrigerator, ovens, coffee makers, thermometers, trid sets and entertainment systems, and so on).
11. The doors are secured with rating 3 maglocks.
12. Inside, there are motion sensors directed to detect if any of the doors and windows open.
13a. Outside, there is a motion sensor set to illuminate the driveway and front steps if anyone approaches.
13b. Outside, there are cameras above all the doors.
14. There does not appear to be anything particularly fancy or exotic, like trip beams, pressure pads, vibration detectors, or olfactory sensors.
15. The thermometer is set for 15 degrees Celsius (59F). It is not scheduled to rise to 22C until Friday, February 8th (one week from the current day).

If you want to roll the tougher target (the north house) that's up to you.

Per Ryo's OOC post to Ravensoracle, you have every program, including Baby Monitor. Emphasis mine.

When you check the deck, you see you have every common use and hacking program, as well as a Rating 6 agent.

For your Matrix Perception tests, don't forget to add the die from your Qualia genetic treatment. +1 to all skill tests linked to Intuition, including Matrix Perception.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (11:34:17/11-24-14)
I included the Qualia in my INT score (it's 4 naturally, 5 when doing skill checks).
Going to take a few turns to run Baby Monitor, Stealth and Encryption (4th slot used by my Agent).
Probably should have done that first.  *shrug* live and learn, at least I didn't get hosed :P

How far away is this house from the house that's occupied?  Given how much softer a target this is, I'm going to suggest to the team we use this one as we can hide under the spirit cloak we've got going on right now.

I want to get some info on the owner before I move on.
Also, going to check the schedule to see when the last time the heat was up, and then cross check the video above the garage to see if there's a vehicle in there currently (unless I can see any devices slaved to the house that would indicate a vehicle).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:04:32/11-24-14)
The middle house is not terribly close to the south or north houses. There's about 25 meters between the middle house and each of the others (i.e. 25 meters on each side). There are no houses behind it, only hillside. That appears to be normal, judging by the surrounding maps. The rich folks seem to value their privacy.

Baby Monitor reports that your current Overwatch Score is 6.

The thermometer indicates that the heat was up last weekend. It suggests that the owner left the previous Sunday (January 27th).

There are no cars in the garage but there is a snowmobile and an ATV. It is a two-car garage. One spot is empty and the other spot has the snowmobile and the ATV.

If there's something specific you'd like to learn about the owner, please let me know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:53:18/11-24-14)
Name, commlink code, what corp they work for, kids, wife.  Etc etc

I want to be able to pass off as a friend or at least an aquantence if questioned lightly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:26:22/11-24-14)
Oooh! Ares! Icing on the home invasion pie!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:27:37/11-24-14)
Results posted ICly, as you've already seen. Go ahead and respond however you see fit. If you're going to recommend that the team pursue the middle house, go ahead and make that clear so that the we can move forward in the meat world. Let me know what your plan is for the lights, cameras, and motion sensors. If you plan to spoof them, you can roll for it. (If you're traveling and cannot roll, let me know.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:47:14/11-24-14)
I'd like to know a little more about the neighbors - maybe scan the footage on the door cameras to see how nosey they are when the corper isn't home. But I think we can start heading that way and make the final decision on the way. If Sam or Chino needs to carry him so that he can stay in VR, that's an option.


Casting Improved Invis on the crate before levitating it. I lose two dice off of the levitate roll, but that has no impact.
Improved Invisibility [Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wounds 2] (http://orokos.com/roll/234025): 11d6t5 6
Resist:

Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/234026): 13d6t5 7
Holy cow I'm on fire today!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:16:16/11-24-14)
Yeah, don't feel like trying orokos on the phone. If you could hit my rolls, I'd appreciate it.

Plans:
Cameras, set to replay the last 24 hours.  What they saw yesterday, they'll see tomorrow.
Motions, spoof them to report nothing. ie function, but send alerts to /dev/null. Don't have the lights turn on.
Unlock the mag locks.
Turn on the heat, but have the system report the colder temp.
Check one more time for alarm systems.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:22:15/11-24-14)
IC up. -4 from sustaining and -2 from wounds. -6 to all rolls except damage resist - I am gonna wreck stuff (unintentionally)! :p
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (23:36:10/11-24-14)
Makes me want to take Anime as an interest knowledge just to comment on the Big O reference.


Considering the trouble I'm having with wounds, I've determined my Negative Quality is Insomnia. It's Insomnia, isn't it?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:42:06/11-24-14)
I'm just now leaving work. I'll try to do the hacking rolling later tonight once I'm home.

@Zweiblumen: While he's busy hacking the security of the van and the house, memories flood back into Doc's mind about normal security protocols. Doc remembers that he has the knowledge skill Matrix Security 4.

@Malevolence: Ohanzee does not have the Insomnia negative quality.

@Malevolence, part II: Please remember to include the force of your spells with your posts. Including the drain value being soaked helps too, since I don't have the drain codes memorized yet.

@Everyone: Before it becomes an issue, let's talk about OOC knowledge in regards to dice rolling. For example, due to sustaining modifiers we need to drop dice from one of Ohanzee's casting rolls - Levitate (where the last two dice were misses) or Invisibility (where the last two dice were hits, and where losing two dice would swing the roll excitingly close to a glitch). I'm not worried about it in this situation because Levitate is an easy spell to recast and soak, and I admit to my own oversight in not telling Malevolence earlier that Ohanzee had Improved Invisibility. But, in the future, let's consider the chronological sequence in which the dice were rolled to also be the IC sequence in which things happen, unless there are mitigating circumstances (like there are here).

This is more about dice rolls arriving in separate posts; I'm not going to be checking timestamps on dice rolls that you post at the same time. There's a certain honor code that comes with PbP, since players can cherry-pick their outcomes to a certain degree by seeing the dice result and then modifying their stated actions accordingly. (For example, selecting an attack roll with a ton of hits to be directed toward a stronger enemy rather than a weaker one who only needs a box or two of damage to finish off, or vice versa.) I am not concerned with this and I'll let the players roll and post as their consciences allow. There's no need to include elaborate action descriptions with your dice rolls on Orokos or Invisible Castle; the dice pool modifiers are good enough for me. The only cardinal sin, of course, is rolling multiple times and selecting the best result. Guilty parties will be dealt with amusingly. (Hint: it rhymes with "political ditch".)

I almost always drop dice off the backend of a roll for the sake of convenience, but I reserve the right to roll the pool difference to determine which dice should be dropped: the hits or misses. (For example, a player rolls 10 but only should have rolled 8. I might then roll 2 dice and then subtract the resulting hits or misses from the original result.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (23:57:19/11-24-14)
I'm just now leaving work. I'll try to do the hacking rolling later tonight once I'm home.

@Zweiblumen: While he's busy hacking the security of the van and the house, memories flood back into Doc's mind about normal security protocols. Doc remembers that he has the knowledge skill Matrix Security 4.

I'm guessing that's either Profession or Acedemic, but not sure.  Lemme know and I'll update my char sheet (would I know?).
Also, I'm back at a computer again and can roll...just not sure how many rolls from which skills what I asked for would require :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (00:34:11/11-25-14)
Sorry about that - I didn't expect to have the option of Invisibility. The order is simply more advantageous - for Imp Invis, the more hits the merrier, so it gets cast first with less of a penalty. For Levitate, anything over 2 hits is wasted, so it gets to eat the additional dice penalty for sustaining.


I'll include force going forward. I tend to cast at Force 6 by default since I don't like risking the physical drain but do want as much power as possible. Even for Levitate, since Force 6 gets it moving at the same rate as the party (if not faster - I haven't done the math with your updated movement rules).


The drain targets for the two spells were 4 (F-2) for Levitate and 5 (F-1) for Imp. Invis. I resisted 5 for Levitate and 7 for Imp. Invis.


ETA: If you wish, we can switch the order of the rolls, in which case I still make my drain, Invis only gets 5 hits, and Levitate gets 6 - 2 (for the lost dice from sustain) = 4 hits. So the net change really is that I would have 5 hits on Invis instead of 6 and we use the rolls in the order they were rolled (though the Levitate roll becomes the Invis roll and the Invis roll becomes the Levitate roll).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:42:46/11-25-14)
Sheesh...

I'm away for like a day, and it seems like a huge flurry of activity. I'll try and get an IC post up tonight. Will edit this post or post again if I have any OOC stuff I decide to do, after I get caught up.

By the way, don't mean that in a bad way. I love how this is moving; it's actually refreshing to come home to a bunch of IC posts.

Edit: Well, seems like I won't be needing any rolls. I'll take Or'zet 3 though for Chino, as part of my free Language/Knowledge points.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:49:24/11-25-14)
@Zweiblumen: Matrix Security 4 is a Professional knowledge skill.

<<<@Blue Team [Doc] I second the trust but verify stance.  Also, I've got feeds on everyone and can keep an eye out that way.>>>

Just to be clear, I am under the impression that nobody from Red Team has handed over any feeds to Doc and/or slaved their commlinks to his deck. Rednblack, speak up if this is incorrect for Ace.

@Malevolence: F6 by default sounds good. I had forgotten that you said you wanted to cast it at that Force to get the higher movement rate. Again, no need to swap rolls or reroll. What I said wasn't a criticism; I'm just trying to be open and transparent before a situation arises in a stressful scenario (e.g. one involving wendigos and monowhips).

Because Doc is being carried by Sam, Chino - strangely - is the slowest. The house rules basically come down to Agility = meters per turn walking. (Running equals Agility * 2 meters per turn.) Chino is walking at 4 meters per turn (almost exactly 3 miles per hour.) As such, the crate can move faster than Chino.

@Poindexter: Let me know if you have a plan for the van. It is reasonably well concealed for the moment - tucked away in the dark behind some trees - but someone is liable to find it come daylight. The van is going to lose Concealment since the F6 spirit will be busy covering the movements of the six team members.

@Myself: Katsina is still sustaining Detect Enemies, Extended.
Intuition 6 + Perception 3 + Vision Enhancement 3 - 2 sustaining - 1 stun = 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728089/)
Intuition 6 + Assensing 4 - 2 sustaining - 1 stun = 1 hit GLITCH (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728089/)

She will ask Ohanzee to check something out. (IC post coming.) She might ask Chino but, to my knowledge, he has not assensed ICly yet so his skill is not yet known. It's likely that Katsina sees the Qi tattoo around Chino's eyes and puts two-and-two together, but I won't make that leap just yet.

@Zweiblumen, again: Dice rolling. Let's go with four (4) Control Device actions, one each for the cameras, motion detectors, maglocks, and thermostat. It's possible that I should be making you roll each and every device separately, but 1) I don't want to count up the number of imaginary sensors in my head, and 2) that sounds like a horrific amount of dice rolling. Maybe that's what's necessary to preserve the suspense with your Overwatch Score, but that's too much bookkeeping for this target.

Doc is going to come across some Patrol IC, which he will recognize due to his Matrix Security knowledge skill. The IC will take the form of a Yorkshire Terrier and will sniff Doc's icon since you are not running silent. Finding a mark, it will consider him a legitimate user. That said, it will be on the lookout for illegal activity. Since you will be rolling Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze] for your Control Device tests - and because Sleaze is illegal -  it will be pouncing on your ankle if you slip up.

@Everyone: Great IC posts. I'm really pleased with how this is going, knock on wood.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:52:18/11-25-14)
I'm not even going to roll for those perception checks. His perception dice pool is 1 and his Assensing pool is 2. He's likely to do more harm than good if he actually tries to take a look. The attempt in the IC post is just fluff - he realizes his eyes ain't workin' so well at the moment, tries to focus, fails, and decides he's more likely to see things that aren't there than he is to see things that are. Heh, I should have used that line in the IC.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (08:12:48/11-25-14)
Here we go:
4 control device rolls EW(6)+INT(4)+Qualia(1)+VR(2)-Wounds(1)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/234138): 4#12d6t5 4 6 2 4 (limit 7)

Hrm, that 3rd roll isn't so hot, gonna use a point of edge to reroll misses:
Edge to re-roll misses (10) (http://orokos.com/roll/234139): 10d6t5 3
That gives me a 4 6 5 4 for my rolls.  With 8 dice to roll the Host hopefully won't bust me!

ETA: Crap, Qualia doesn't apply to EW (logic skill, just using INT for this test).  Minus 1 dice on those.  Don't think that changes my hits if we take them off the back.

ETA2: posted ICly, but didn't want to close that scene out incase I get busted (please don't catch me :P).  I'll update that post with my exit if I succeed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (08:35:57/11-25-14)
Ace prefers to have his widgets slaved to someone with a higher matrix mojo than himself, so please slave away.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (11:25:06/11-25-14)
Actually, Ohanzee will attempt the Assensing as it involves spirits he gets +2 for his specialization, bringing the dice pool to 4, so less chance of a glitch and a good chance for a hit.


Here we go (crosses fingers):
Assensing Spirits in the treetops [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specialization (Spirits) 2 - Sustaining 4 - Wounds 2] (http://orokos.com/roll/234157): 4d6t5 2
Hot damn!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:18:13/11-25-14)
@Malevolence: Good roll, Mal. Yes, indeed, Ohanzee's familiarity with spirits is the difference. Katsina spotted your spirit but, due to the combination of sustaining penalties, wound modifiers, and astral glow, confused White Raven for a free spirit. You're not being followed or observed by any other spirits, nor anything else as best you can tell.

@Everyone: Certain elements of the current situation will be triggering hazy memories for some of you. I will PM you individually. You can share the memories ICly or keep them to yourselves as you see fit.

@Zweiblumen: Electronic Warfare is a strange skill which is ostensibly linked to Logic but which uses Intuition for several tests (Command Device, Hide, Snoop). It doesn't look like the extra die helps here, but in the future I will say that Qualia does apply to Electronic Warefare tests that are linked to Intuition.

Now for the moment of truth. Host rolls and produces: 1 hit, 3 hits, 3 hits, and 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728378/). Good thing you rerolled the 2-hit test. Baby Monitor reports that your Overwatch Score is now 15.

I will post ICly to get the team to the house.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:37:47/11-25-14)
@Malevolence

Quote from: Malevolence
>> @ Team
>> Okay Chino, it's your show. Send our ex-ride to its final destination.

Did you mean Doc? Chino would love to have something destructive to do, but he can't exactly control the car without being in it. Somehow, sending it off a cliff while still being in it seems like a bad idea ... but considering how we started this adventure, I'm not sure Chino is known for his ideas. Although he does seem to have a talent for wrecking cars. Anyway, I was under the impression that Doc was using the auto-pilot to drive it off the cliff.

@Assensing Idea

Chino only has a measly dice pool of 5 for Assensing, so he's not going to do much better than you guys.



Also, just as a side note. Chino the slowpoke  :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (12:50:08/11-25-14)
Chino should be able to use the Fairlight to control the Van.  It's the owners Commlink and would have the marks to control the car remotely.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:54:57/11-25-14)
Oh, I didn't even realize Chino has the Fairlight. If he does, then sure, he can drive it off the cliff (at least, 99% sure).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:56:17/11-25-14)
Katsina has the Fairlight. She can hand it to anyone who asks for it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (13:44:49/11-25-14)
So, are we waiting until we are settled into the house to send the car to it's doom?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:01:25/11-25-14)
Order of operations is up to you. I'm pausing here in case the physical security types want to do anything before entering.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:25:34/11-25-14)
Sam is hoping to find materials in the garage to light up the rover with, so lets not send it off just yet.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:27:42/11-25-14)
Order of operations is up to you. I'm pausing here in case the physical security types want to do anything before entering.
Hint. Hint. :p


But seriously, probably not a bad idea. I'd expect everything to be matrix disable-able, but it never hurts to be a little extra cautious.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:48:38/11-25-14)
Ace thinks it would be wise to go in in teams but if someone says as much IC he'd be happy to go in first and check out things in the meat world.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (15:04:36/11-25-14)
Sam follows orders and does what he's told. Want action from him? Tell him so. It helps if you're a magic lakota dwarf.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:11:58/11-25-14)
Yeah, let's not trip over ourselves trying to get out of each others' way. Mal, go ahead and give the order.

If Mal puts you on point, go ahead and give list your actions (or pose them ICly) and make any rolls you feel are relevant, like Perception.

Environmental Severity from Run & Gun is in effect. The current environment qualifies as "harsh", so you'll be soaking 2S if you stay outside for 10 minutes. Currently you've been outside for about 3 minutes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:32:52/11-25-14)
IC is up. I'm not sure how much non-character knowledge I am using as I am trying to put people with high perception pools on lookout and high stealth pools on entry. Also, Sam has Military and SUT knowledge skills, which I'm not sure is in-game knowledge for Big O, so if I need to update my post to reflect anything Ohanzee shouldn't know, please tell me.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (16:38:40/11-25-14)
Sam is gonna try and set the group up in a traveling overwatch formation.

Small unit tactics check (http://orokos.com/roll/234242): 6d6t5 2

2 is all he needs, so the maneuver is successful as long as everyone follows instructions.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (17:10:02/11-25-14)
I've got a 7 hour drive coming up, so expect limited activity from me. I'll be passing off the driving with a friend, so I might be able to post an IC from my phone, but I'll ask that you perform any rolls for me (if it comes up, of course).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:15:51/11-25-14)
@8-bit: Roger that.

@Poindexter: Maneuver is a success. It requires Sam (the team leader) to be in the overwatch position at the rear.

@Myself: Katsina's Perception roll: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728539/)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (20:05:38/11-25-14)
IC post up.

Can you please roll a perception check and an assensing check for Chino? The Perception roll should be Intuition 3 + Perception 4 + Traveling Overwatch 2 + Specifically Looking 3 - Environmental Modifiers. The Assensing is just Intuition 3 + Assensing 2. My numbers might be slightly off, as I am away from my books.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (21:40:54/11-25-14)
Do we need Doc in VR any more?  Standing on my own two feet sounds like a better idea than burdening Sam with me.  I can keep an eye on things via AR.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (21:42:11/11-25-14)
Doc took care of all the external motion sensors, correct?  I'll get an IC up as soon as I can grab a few.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (21:44:17/11-25-14)
@Zweiblumen: I don't think we need Doc in VR anymore. AR should be fine.

@8-bit: Ah, yes, specifically looking. I should have been including that in other Perception rolls but mentally I was thinking that it was just being offset by environmental modifiers. That said, I should have remembered that thermographic vision stages Visibility up one row so those people with thermographics (namely, everyone but Doc and Chino) could have benefited from specifically looking. Let's make it more explicit here:

Intuition 3 + Perception 4 + Traveling Overwatch 1 + Specifically Looking 3 - 3 Visibility (snow): 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728716/)

Intiution 3 + Asesnsing 2 = OH HOLY GOD FIVE 6s ON FIVE DICE!!! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728717/)

Odds of this are about 0.0129%, or 1 chance in 7,770 (rounding a bit). 8-bit, I'd give you an award - karma or Edge or something - but I was the one who rolled it. I'll have to think of a way to suitably celebrate.

In the meantime, you see everything. Long story short, no immediate threats. The coast is clear. I'll PM you with additional details later.

Edit: Added color because the bold + underlining + exclamation points weren't sufficient.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (22:00:09/11-25-14)
Wow. I ... just don't have words for that. Five 6s on five dice is like ... unheard of. Boy am I glad you rolled for me  :)

As a side note, really, thanks for rolling for me. Not only did you have awesome luck, but it is really helpful, as rolling dice on a phone is nigh impossible.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:01:45/11-25-14)
Is there anyway for me to have the Host invite marks on me and everyone else AFTER I reboot?  Or will I have to have the Host invite marks on everyone but me, and I'll just suffer :P (and do we need marks for everyone on the host?)
I'm guessing thats going to be 5 or 6 spoof commands?  I'm going to jump the gun and roll that (man, I wish that was a logic roll) and use Qualia for the INT as you implied that was right earlier... Also, just discard all of these if I'm completely off base.  I don't want to risk doing this if it's not useful/needed.
6 Spoof Commands Hacking(6)+INT(4)+Qualia(1)+VR(2)-Wounds(1)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/234299): 6#12d6t5 3 2 3 5 5 6 (limit 7)
Again, using another point of Edge for that 2 as that's scary low.
Edge to re-roll misses (10) (http://orokos.com/roll/234302): 10d6t5 6
Well that makes that 8 hits... waste of a saving roll :(
gives me 3 8(7) 3 5 5 6.  Might catch me on 2 of those, but unlikely on the rest.
And if my math is right, Doc has used up 3 points of edge so far?  (Damn, having a crap load of edge is AWESOME!)
Mostly I hope all of that isn't needed and I can just drop out of VR.  Either that or I it all works perfectly and I'm a rock star :)

Intiution 3 + Asesnsing 2 = OH HOLY GOD FIVE 6s ON FIVE DICE!!! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728717/)
Also, HOLY CRAP!!!
/me rewards Tecumseh with a beer!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (22:06:23/11-25-14)
@8-bit: Luckily your Astral Limit is 6 so at least you can take advantage of all the hits.

@Rednblack: Yes, Doc took care of the motion sensors.

@Zweiblumen: You must be the owner to invite marks. In other circumstances you might be able to spoof a device to invite a mark, but spoofing doesn't work against hosts. Unless you're going to change ownership of the entire host, there's not a good way to invite marks.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:19:06/11-25-14)
Welp, that answers that! :)

I'll post about coming out of VR into the cold, and once we are inside I'll reboot.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (22:25:36/11-25-14)
I was thinking that you could issue commands to the devices that would persist even after your marks disappeared.  I assume that processes in motion remain in motion until commanded otherwise,  regardless of Mark status. Also,  there may be a file on the host that lists allowed guests.  Editing that should allow us free reign of the place as guests of the owner. At least,  that's how I see it working.

ETA : nix the file part,  that's what marks are for. Not sure how we can persist access.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (22:37:50/11-25-14)
Probably going to have to find some way to disable the motion sensors (without raising alarms, of course) in the physical world and then run silent so that devices don't show up.

It will be impossible to remain truly invisible in this building, but any temporary measures we come up with should buy us time to dispose of the Rover, catch our breath, and get a replacement vehicle.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:50:31/11-25-14)
I've already turned off the motions. We'll have free run of the house while we are here. Was just hoping to make things easier going forward if we are going to be here for a few days.

Am I right that Chino can use the comm to drive the van?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (23:03:07/11-25-14)
I believe I can, I simply have to get the commlink IC from Katsina. I think Uncle Sam is hoping to find some materials in the garage to help in disposing the vehicle.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:12:06/11-26-14)
@Poindexter: Be careful with the sub-vocal communications. Only Chino has earbuds, so technically the rest of the team wouldn't be able to hear Sam.

@Team: Long story short, I'm going to say that Chino is able to pilot the van remotely.

Long version, I'm not 100% sure how this would best work in terms of the rules and the setting. Simply having Chino use the pilfered commlink seems questionable because then all someone would have to do to steal a car is to nick a commlink. Maybe that's how it is supposed to be, but that seems a bit easy, especially for someone rolling around with a Fairlight Caliban. You think he would password protect the commlink if nothing else. (In that case you'd have to hack the Fairlight, so it would make more sense to turn it off and just hack the van directly.) Or maybe the Fairlight is unnecessary because Chino could just use Doc's deck - the one with the marks - to do the driving. (If Doc is willing to hand it over, that is, or to let Chino use Doc's arm like a remote control for a few minutes.) There's almost certainly some way to do this but I don't know what the best way would be. Pick an option based on how you want to RP it and go with that.

I'll give rednblack until the morning before advancing the action.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (09:29:29/11-26-14)
I agree hat simply pilfering the commlink is probably too simple. I'm fine with hacking the link. I'd say get a mark on the link, then I could spoof command from the link to the car having the car invite marks from chino. Then with three marks on the car chino can do as he pleases with his own gear.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (09:34:18/11-26-14)
@Poindexter: Be careful with the sub-vocal communications. Only Chino has earbuds, so technically the rest of the team wouldn't be able to hear Sam.

Shouldnt anyone with soundlink or a DNI be able to hear as well?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (11:38:33/11-26-14)
Sneak test to get around the side of the house: Sneak Test (http://orokos.com/roll/234406): 12d6t5 6

Perception test while going it solo: Perception Check (http://orokos.com/roll/234407): 10d6t5 4

Sam's SUT command resonated with Ace.  He remembers that he has the SUT Knowledge Skill as well.  Char sheet updated.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:31:44/11-26-14)
Shouldnt anyone with soundlink or a DNI be able to hear as well?

Okay, we can go with that. I was thinking more about how the communication was being received (mostly as text, or an ARO) rather than how it was being delivered (subvocally) but it makes sense that you would color it how Sam delivers it.

Sneaking roll for Katsina: 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4729477/)

IC post going up shortly. You're all inside now. Let me know what you want to do.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:23:55/11-27-14)
As Doc had seen, there's a snowmobile and an ATV, plus a good deal of gardening equipment and a tool set. All of the tools look brand new.
Gardening tools or mechanical tools?  Are they the kind of things Doc is familiar with?

What are the consequences I'm looking at for rebooting to clear my OC?  I know I'll loose my mark on the host, but that won't keep us from being able to use things in the house correct?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:56:44/11-27-14)
Both gardening tools and mechanical tools. They're not tools for Doc's Hardware or Biotech skills, so none of them would be of particular use to him. Chino would be able to make use of them with his Engineering skill group, and Sam could potentially use them for Demolitions.

If you reboot to clear your OC you will lose your marks but you will still be able to use things in the house manually. You can still turn the lights on and off, cook, and so on. The house will still be livable.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (03:00:43/11-27-14)
Okay, I'm going to set the windows/shades and then reboot.  On coming back up I'll slave everyones gear again and then have everything run silently.
I'll post that IC shortly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:31:35/11-28-14)
Thanksgiving craziness should be dying down, so hopefully I'll have more time to post. It's rather late here though, so I'll wait until tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:06:59/11-28-14)
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

To give thanks for the continuation of the game, and to celebrate the rarity of the beautiful 66666 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4728717/) roll a couple days ago, I am adding a specialization of questionable worth to everyone's character. These will be based on elements of the character's background or personality that you may or may not know about yet. Many of them will not be overly useful. Katsina, for example is getting the Carving specialization for her Artisan skill.

If you already know about the skill that's being specialized, I will PM you. If you haven't learned about the skill yet, I will save it until you do know.

Next person to roll something less probable than 1 in 7,770 triggers the next wave of dubious upgrades!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:03:15/11-28-14)
Next person to roll something less probable than 1 in 7,770 triggers the next wave of dubious upgrades!

Now I'm waiting for a 6 dice pool with 6 1's roll...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:04:03/11-28-14)
Behind her mask, Katsina weeps softly at her input being utterly ignored by Ace. I guess that's Charisma 3 catching up with her.

For the record, the best dice roll I've seen personally was 13 hits on 16 dice.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:15:21/11-28-14)
Behind her mask, Katsina weeps softly at her input being utterly ignored by Ace. I guess that's Charisma 3 catching up with her.

For the record, the best dice roll I've seen personally was 13 hits on 16 dice.

Haha.  Updated IC.  Ace probably isn't really sure about Katsina's abilities, but he'll take a shot in the dark.

ETA: As far as checking to see if there's a panic room, or anything, I'm assuming that would be a Perception Test.  Could we make that a teamwork test once we get around to doing it?  Ace will also be interested in any weapons that might be around.  I'm assuming we're likely to come across a nice sporting rifle or shotgun, given the area.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:23:26/11-28-14)
Katsina reports that she's been through the house on the astral and didn't find any hidden rooms. Looking about, the construction of the house suggests that it is pre-Treaty of Denver. As such, it seems unlikely that it will have a panic room. One could have been added on at some point, but Katsina didn't find it.

I won't make you roll Perception to find the rifle because it's not hidden. There's a Pioneer 60 on the wall in the office. You also find 1 box (20 rounds) of each of the following for the rifle: regular rounds, flechette rounds, and hollow points.

Sam, with his Firearms knowledge skill (rolled offline: 1 hit), is familiar with the weapon. It's manufactured in the CAS; Pioneer refuses to sell it in the NAN. Owning it could even be considered a political statement, especially around these parts. Mr. Moran likely picked it up in the CAS or UCAS sections of Denver and then smuggled it across the border into the PCC.

A teamwork Perception test sounds good. Katsina will be the leader since she has the highest dicepool.

Katinsa: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4730559/), so much for the highest dicepool

Teamwork tests added 11 extra dice to reroll. Results: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4730560/).

4 hits total. You guys must be tired. Still, it's enough to find a safe in the wall in the master bedroom. It looks like it's been there since the house was built. It predates maglocks so it has an old-fashioned tumbler lock.

Ace, when he finds the safe, remembers that he has Locksmith 4.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (19:54:30/11-28-14)
I'm still here and still reading. Sorry I don't post super often. I'm just having a lot of trouble getting into this characters head. It's really tough for me to figure out how this dude would realistically react to things now that he's not in fight or flight mode. Lucky for me, the dude is borged to beJEEZUS, so i can get away with a bit of cold, emotionless silence and brooding, but that's only gonna last for so long. I feel like sooner or later, I'm gonna need to take a more active roll in things. But then, on the other hand, with such a large cast of characters, maybe its best if one or two of us kinda play the rear and let the others shine, y'know?

thoughts?

Demo roll for the rover: Burn out the Rover (http://orokos.com/roll/234732): 8d6t5 1 not great, but at least i didnt blow myself up.

Also, I've got a lot of equipment i cant seem to find in the 5th ed book, specifically, all the different types of detonators sam has in his bag. Anyone know where i can look for all that stuff?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:56:11/11-28-14)
The Pioneer 60 is a sniper rifle, right?  Hollow points seem like an odd choice, and you need a shotgun to fire flechettes.  Unless this is a mix up, methinks there be another firearm, or two, in the house.  Either way is good for me; with some pillows as suppressors, we can make it look like the teenagers had some target practice with Mr. Moran's expensive collection of antique vases from the Qing dynasty -- surely no group of shadowrunners would be that stupid.

@Tecumseh, if you don't mind, I'd like to roll to unlock the safe, and I'll RP it once I know the outcome and contents, should I be so lucky.

First Attempt: Lockpicking attempt on wall safe No. 1 (http://orokos.com/roll/234736): 13d6t5 3
Second Attempt: Lockpicking attempt on wall safe No. 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/234737): 12d6t5 5

I imagine that does it, but if not, let me know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (22:04:42/11-28-14)
The Pioneer 60 is a sniper rifle, right?  Hollow points seem like an odd choice, and you need a shotgun to fire flechettes.  Unless this is a mix up, methinks there be another firearm, or two, in the house.  Either way is good for me; with some pillows as suppressors, we can make it look like the teenagers had some target practice with Mr. Moran's expensive collection of antique vases from the Qing dynasty -- surely no group of shadowrunners would be that stupid.

Hollow Points are doubly suspicious due to being Forbidden Availability. Anything can fire Flechettes, shotguns just use different rules and choke settings.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (22:40:18/11-28-14)
Anything can fire Flechettes, shotguns just use different rules and choke settings.

I didn't know that.  Always thought of flechettes only as shotgun rounds.  Thanks.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (22:43:24/11-28-14)
I kinda feel like just dumping one of those gas cans in there and tossing a small flaming object in the door before we roll if off a cliff.
I feel silly wasting blasting caps and whatnot on a job a 12 year old could do with household things, y'know?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (23:34:42/11-28-14)
@Poindexter: works for me. It just means that someone has to accompany it physically to the cliff, which might be a mile or two away.


@All: IC up with thoughts on comments. I think we have a good plan to move forward with. As a note, Ohanzee forgot about the spell Katsina was sustaining until she mentioned it, so you see that reflected in his response to Doc. Anyway, if I still have any flaws that people can see now that we've got more input to work with, voice your concerns in IC.


@Tec: 5 hours until dawn gives Kat enough time to create a Force 5 lodge, force 6 if she stays up an extra hour (Ohanzee can set an alarm so he's up for the sun so she doesn't have to interrupt her lodge building). Since it lasts until sunrise or sunset, whichever comes first, it might be worth it to go for the force 6 so that the ritual is finished after sunrise. The only thing useful that Ohanzee can do with a temporary lodge is bind spirits, but at 25 reagents per force, he can only manage a force 1 with what he's got, and a force 2 if he blows all his nuyen on more reagents, so Kat is the best one to set it up for her tradition. Also, as a Shaman tradition, I don't think binding spirits is his style.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:40:09/11-29-14)
I'll be posting ICly shortly to cover some of the IC topics, including a better description of the house and what's in the safe.

Poindexter is correct that you don't necessarily need to overthink the van disposal. Blasting caps are probably overkill. The Rover needs to make it 6 kilometers back to the cliff. In current driving conditions, that's about a six-minute drive. (You could drive it faster but you'd risk falling off the road prematurely. That could make the van easier for the authorities to find.) Now the fun question: can the van Rover drive itself for six minutes while it's on fire? An amusing image. There are other potential solutions as well.

@Chino: Don't go to sleep yet. You need to drive the flaming van. You'd probably prefer to do it remotely, but that's up to you.

@Poindexter: 1 hit is enough to not light yourself on fire. A lot of your demolitions equipment is from Run & Gun. If you don't have the book, I will PM you the associated passages. That goes for anyone else who needs equipment or rule references from a book they don't have.

I feel like sooner or later, I'm gonna need to take a more active roll in things. But then, on the other hand, with such a large cast of characters, maybe its best if one or two of us kinda play the rear and let the others shine, y'know?

As for posting frequency and character development, I think we would all agree that we don't need six people all giving directions. So far I think this has been working out well, with Ohanzee taking the lead and other people contributing their expertise. Having a couple people hang back and do their jobs competently works fine for things like combat, B&E, and overwatch. That said, there are is a big mystery confronting the team that won't be solved with skill checks. It will be through RP, finding out who you once were, and fitting the pieces together. To that end, regular contributions are vital. Some of the developments are accidental, like Chino deciding to slot that sim chip. Others developments will come to you. Several players have privately learned a lot about themselves (and others) recently, but not all of those revelations have come to light yet.

BUT, who you once were isn't necessarily who you are now. You are under no obligation (ICly or OOCly) to behave like your previous selves. You'll figure out who you are now, and whatever answer you come up with will be correct.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:41:46/11-29-14)
Oh, um. Right.

Lemme just edit that post a bit...

Edit: All right, edited. Sorry about that. I completely forgot Chino was driving the Rover to it's demise.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:12:49/11-29-14)
If sam sets some traps using explosives and we end up not using them and having plenty of time to leave here, can said traps be dismantled and brought along with us for re-use at a later date?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:24:08/11-29-14)
I just wanted to point out that at this point we have only been awake for less than 3 hours. An exciting 3 hours to be sure,  but I wonder if we aren't playing up the exhaustion aspect a bit too much. I've been treating the damage on my stun track as exhaustion due to exertion that simply requires an hour or two of rest to recuperate, but it seems everyone else is angling for a full night's rest. That might be why my initial watch schedule proved unpopular.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:32:25/11-29-14)
@Mal: You are tired. You had an exhausting day, even if you can't remember 90% of it. With the adrenaline wearing off, and the now that you're full and warm, it is definitely hard to stay awake. Katsina seems to be handling this better than others.

@Poindexter: Sure, I don't see why not. I am sure there is a demolitions expert out there who would give me reasons why not, but tis a game. I would want to be able to, if I were the player, so I say yes.

@rednblack: The Pioneer 60 is a hunting rifle. Since that classification no longer exists in 5E, they are grouped with sniper rifles.

Just remembered I forgot to talk about the ammo ICly. Will update my last IC post with that next.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:46:03/11-29-14)
@Tec: Okay, that works. I'm acknowledging that in my postings going forward.


@All: The guns I am referring to are the ones we appropriated from the hunters and the strike team. Since we haven't changed owner on them, they are likely of less use to us (no wireless functionality without risking being spotted by the owners or their next of kin). If we want one bad enough to risk changing owner on it, mention it IC, otherwise I think we should send them with the truck.


@Tec: It gets tedious writing about cleaning up all of my astral signatures IC. Is it okay if we just assume that I am cleaning up after myself unless circumstances make it a challenge? I might have already asked this, I don't remember.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:22:55/11-29-14)
@Mal: Per the rules, you an astral signature lasts for Force = hours. A complex action can be used to reduce that by 1 hour. Given Ohanzee's initiative, it will take him an average of 4 combat turns to have enough complex actions to eliminate the signature on a Force 6 spell. So we'll say that if the situation you're in presents you with 12-15 spare seconds then you don't have to mention it explicitly.

Generally speaking, I'm not looking to play gotcha with housekeeping chores. I encourage people to RP how they're covering their tracks (wiping things down for fingerprints, etc.) because it helps set the tone, but tedium isn't fun. Mention it once or twice to establish a precedent and then we'll let it happen mostly automatically after that. Unless, of course, circumstances complicate things.

@Poindexter: Sam has a fantastic agility thanks to his muscle toner. He can comfortably walk almost 11kph, which means walking back from the van would take him 33 minutes. Per the harsh conditions, Sam would have to soak 2S every 10 minutes, so that's 3 rolls. The book is not at all clear about how you resist this damage, but Ryo went with Body + Insulation so we'll use that too. For Sam, that's 12 dice. You have a 95% chance of soaking that each roll and only a 0.8% chance of glitching. It seems that being a giant Russian troll wearing an insulated armor jacket is a good way to survive outside in the winter!

Cold Resistance Tests:
The Troll: Body 10 + Insulation 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/216179): 12d6t5 6

It will slow you down considerably if someone accompanies you, as no one else can walk nearly that quickly. Ace and Katsina are the next fastest. Of course, the wisdom of walking along a road where a Nissan Hound was just patrolling with a strike team looking for you is another matter.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:35:42/11-29-14)
I'm just waiting to deal with the rover before reseting the security, then Doc is gonna have a quick chat with Katsina before finding an available bunk and crashing hard.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:06:35/11-29-14)
I notice no one has our med kits listed on their character sheets. If I recall correctly, we have a rating 6 (empty) and a rating 4 (unknown uses remaining).


Also added to the shopping (or "shopping" as the case may be) list - med kit supplies.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (20:04:04/11-29-14)
Of course, the wisdom of walking along a road where a Nissan Hound was just patrolling with a strike team looking for you is another matter.

I wasn't planning on taking the road back.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:50:52/11-29-14)
Going back through the Chapter 1 threads, there's mention of three medkits:

Rating 4 - from the hunters
Rating 5 - in Doc's armor (note to Zweiblumen: Doc's sheet has this listed as 6)
Rating 6 - from the van you woke up in (now empty)

Per Bullets & Bandages, the rating 4 kit is the size of a small backpack/duffel bag. The rating 6 kit is the size of a large duffelbag.

From the hunters and APB
1 dose jazz
1 Fairlight Caliban (same owner as the Rover)
1 Erika Elite
3 PJSS Model 55 shotguns
1 Springfield M1A hunting rifle with a smartlink mounted on it (this is the gun that Ace used to shoot down the Nissan Hound)
3 clips shotgun ammo, loaded with Stick-N-Shock rounds
Beretta 201T Light Pistol, loaded with explosive rounds
Nitama Sporter (a lady's light pistol)
2 clips Light Pistol ammo, loaded with regular ammo

Transferring ownership is an involved process but not impossible. Doc's Logic+Hardware is good enough that he can generally do it with 6-7 hours of work, or faster if he burns Edge. We will not be using the "rule" that you have to be online (and thus accumulating an Overwatch score) for the duration of the ownership change.

@Poindexter: Not taking the road will slow you down considerably as you have to deal with fresh powder snow and uneven ground. We'll call it an hour, so six tests, and thermographically sticking out like a flare the whole while. There's tree cover most of the way but there are some open spots too where there's less chance for concealment unless you get Ohanzee to send his spirit with you.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (20:56:32/11-29-14)
thermographically sticking out like a flare the whole while.

Ah shit.

I'd forgotten about that, but you're right. I damn sure would. Hmmmm... Maybe someone follows Sam on a snowmobile (we did find one a those, right) and we both ride that back?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (21:02:13/11-29-14)
Yes, there's definitely a snowmobile. It's a Patrol Snowski. It's from Hazard Pay, one of the few books I don't have. A simple Matrix search suggests its top speed is 180kph. Fun!

(http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/53985898.jpg)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (21:07:33/11-29-14)
I'm guessing Chino could follow you and and back. With us not moving I'd think we'd be safe for the spirit to go with you guys. Just my 2 cents. I'll keep an eye on you guys from the matrix.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:56:49/11-29-14)
Actually, after rereading the power, it seems I was confusing some of its mechanics with the Mindnet spell where if someone goes outside the covered area they lose the benefit. But concealment can cover all of us no matter where we go, so I'm amending my concerns in IC to reflect that. I don't have to send the spirit with them (IC it is off enjoying itself in some unknown quarter of the world) or sacrifice coverage for the rest of the party. It simply lasts until you are spotted or the spirit stops sustaining. Presumably, one preson getting spotted only cancels the effect on themselves.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:40:24/11-29-14)
Hearing no objections, let's get some IC posts from Poindexter and/or 8-bit to cover:
1) driving to the site
2) flicking a match into the Rover like a boss
3) pushing/kicking it over the edge

Between the two of you, you're actually strong enough to lift the snowmobile into the Rover. There's enough space in the back since it had been cleared out for the horned bear. That would limit your exposure on the way out. Speaking of exposure, you might want to raid the closet for some hats which will be too small for you and some gloves that don't fit. Maybe scarves instead, or eye protection.

Please mention what, if anything, you are including in the Rover before torching it. If you want to dispose of equipment or the hunters' weapons, for example.

8-bit, let's get a couple Pilot Ground Craft rolls from you if you're doing the driving there and back.

Poindexter, go ahead and do your Demolitions rolls to set some traps, assuming you make it back alive.

Zweiblumen, feel free to turn your attention to whatever you want the house to do. Also, roll Matrix Perception for you and the agent to cover the arsonists. Noise is back in effect. You're at +3 for distance and +4 for the target area being wilderness (and a snowstorm). You may wish to use Signal Scrub and the wireless bonus from your datajack to get that down.

rednblack, you don't have to roll to set your Home Alone traps as long as they are not exceedingly complicated. If you want weird triggers then it might become a build/repair test.

Mal, I guess you can go to sleep. You can roll to heal your Stun damage. Healing the Physical damage will be dependent on having a relatively restful day.

Did I miss anything? If there are other rolls you want to get in, you're welcome to make them now.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (23:50:43/11-29-14)
All right, I'll get some stuff in. Sorry for the lack of posts today, driving back from visiting family during Thanksgiving and the normal 7 hour drive turned into a 10 hour drive due to traffic.

Driving to the Rover (no other modifiers) (http://orokos.com/roll/234894): 11d6t5 2 [5, 3, 5, 4, 1, 4, 2, 1, 3, 4, 4]

Well that was bollocks. I have no idea about whether I failed or not, but I might as well use Edge to reroll.

Edge to Reroll (http://orokos.com/roll/234896): 9d6t5 5 [2, 2, 5, 6, 6, 5, 3, 3, 6]

... You know what? I'll take it. I could do Michael Bay stunts while driving to the Rover ... but that might not be ideal.

Driving from the Rover? (no other modifiers) (http://orokos.com/roll/234897): 11d6t5 5 [1, 5, 6, 5, 5, 2, 3, 5, 4, 2, 3]

Damn. Chino suddenly became amazing at driving.

IC to come.

Edit: OOC Question; can the Snowmobile carry Chino, Uncle Sam, and the explosives?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:07:04/11-30-14)
No worries about the lack of a post. It's the weekend and still a holiday, more or less. Traffic sucks! Sorry about the 3 hours you lost.

7 hits is more than enough to avoid any embarrassing crashes. Luckily you have a Physical Limit of 10 so you can enjoy them all. You dodge a bull elk with effortless grace! Feel free to pose your awesomeness.

Lay another roll down for the snowmobile too when you get a chance.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (00:08:53/11-30-14)
Resting rolls:
Heal stun damage (resting, hour 1) [Bod 3 + Will 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/234898): 9d6t5 3
Heal stun damage (resting, hour 2) [Bod 3 + Will 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/234899): 9d6t5 1


So I'm good after two hours. I'll do the physical damage roll when it becomes relevant. I'll probably want to have Doc spend a half hour to tend to me so I can get a dice pool bonus. My 6 dice will take me two days on average, so potentially getting that down to one with a few hits from Doc's test would be nice. With 19 dice (using the rating 5 medkit, 20 if we restock the rating 6) in his Medicine pool, the average 6+ hits should be enough.


I'll post IC later. It might be a while because there's a dream.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:20:46/11-30-14)
Keeping an eye on things:
Switch out Babymonitor with Signal scrub.  I don't plan on being hacking long enough to really need it.
With all the modifiers I wash out at my att+skill :P
Remote Matrix Perception Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Qualia(1) + VR(2) + Codeslinger(2) + Datajack(1) + Signal Scrub(2) - Noise(Disatance(3)+Wilderness/Snow(4)=7)=10 (http://orokos.com/roll/234900): 10d6t5 4 (limit 5)
Crap, forgot my wound... -1 die, but both the first and last die were misses.  Sorry about that :(

Back at the house I'll need get a mark on the Host again, then I'll do a spoof command to re-enable the motions to turn on the lights and send the team an alert once Sam and Chino get back. Spoof command *should* work as the device should be slaved to the Host which I have a mark on, so I should be able to Spoof that command.  If Spoof isn't right I'll do control device (and roll both to save time).
Mark the Host Hacking(6) + Logic(9) + VR(2) - Wounds(1) = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/234904): 16d6t5 6 (limit 7)
Assuming that succeeds (if it doesn't I think we have a new record on rolling :P)
Spoof Command Hacking(6) + Intuition(4) + Qualia(1) + VR(2) - Wounds(1)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/234907): 12d6t5 7 (limit 7)
Control Device EW(6) + Intuition(4) + Qualia(1) + VR(2) - Wounds(1) = 12 (http://orokos.com/roll/234908): 12d6t5 5 (limit 7)

I'll post this up IC once the boys take off.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:40:42/11-30-14)
Driving the Snowmobile (no other modifiers) (http://orokos.com/roll/234919): 11d6t5 3 [2, 4, 2, 1, 3, 3, 1, 5, 5, 6, 1]

And not so impressive. You know what, we don't want this to get messed up and get caught. It's worth it.

Edge to Reroll (http://orokos.com/roll/234920): 8d6t5 1 [1, 3, 2, 5, 4, 4, 4, 1]

Well, that was a very unimpressive reroll. 4 should be good enough. It will have to be.

Marking both uses of Edge off my sheet.

I assume I should just go ahead without Uncle Sam? Or should I post and wait for him?

IC is up. If we want to go on without waiting for Pointdexter, I can edit it to make it more inclusive of the trip.



Also, since it came up, just as a note for Fatigue tests (aka Harsh weather tests); it is Body + Willpower (+ Insulation for Cold).

Quote from: Core Book of SR5; page 172
Fatigue damage is resisted with Body + Willpower

Technically, that quote also says that Armor doesn't apply, but it makes sense that Insulation would help against the Cold.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:48:56/11-30-14)
8-bit, feel free to post the first half. Save the return trip for next. No need to make this three days of back-and-forth, unless you and Poindexter are going to swap notes along the way.

Solid rolling from Zweiblumen. 22 hits on 50 dice is 44% rolling.

Zweiblumen, I'm going to PM you.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:11:25/11-30-14)
All right, I posted everything up to the eventful burning and sending off of the Rover. I figured Pointdexter would like to do the honors of having Uncle Sam blow it up.

Seeing as it's 1 in the morning here, I think I'll be on for another half hour maybe. Otherwise, I'll post more tomorrow.

By the way, not sure if I said it, but I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I know it's a few days late, but better late than never, right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:35:55/11-30-14)
8-bit, you ditched the Rover about 200 meters from the house.

You don't need to drive separately to the cliff. In fact, it's better if you don't because Sam can't drive for drek and you can't drive both vehicles at once, even with 7 hits. That's why I suggested putting the snowmobile in the back of the Rover.

Just to be clear, we're talking about driving/burning/kicking the hunters' slaughterwagon here, not the van you woke up in. That fell off the edge of a cliff hours ago.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:42:31/11-30-14)
And this is why I shouldn't write stuff at 1 in the morning. Let me give it one more go tonight, and hopefully I don't screw it up again. Sorry about that.

Edit: We aren't driving the snowmobile towards the Rover? God ... I'm all sorts of confused. You know what? I'll leave it as a placeholder and write it when I'm more awake. Sorry for making you deal with that inconvenience :(
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:46:43/11-30-14)
Well you can drive (or push) the snowmobile 200m to the Rover. You're strong enough to lift it but not to carry it, so carrying is out. Driving is valid but it is noisy. The spirit will provide some concealment but it might not be the best time to tear out of the garage and do donuts in the driveway.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (11:01:07/11-30-14)
Okay, now that I've had some sleep, let me make sure I have this straight.

Rover is 200 meters away from the house. We are not driving to it, simply bringing the snowmobile along for driving back? Once we get to the Rover, we are loading the snowmobile into it, driving the Rover right to it's final destination (getting the snowmobile out and setting the Rover on fire beforehand), pushing it over the edge, and then driving back. Does that sound right?

Again, I'm really sorry for making you deal with this inconvenience.

How long and noisy would pushing the snowmobile be?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (11:03:42/11-30-14)
Sam can't carry a snowmobile?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (11:04:45/11-30-14)
Sam can't carry a snowmobile?

Actually, that's a good question. Maybe have Sam carry the snowmobile and Chino carry whatever supplies we need to blow it up?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:32:28/11-30-14)
Running out the door so this will be short.

8-bit, yes, that was the general outline. You can color it in how you like.

I did the math yesterday for lifting and carrying. Sam and Chino have a combined Strength of 17. This lets them lift 17 * 15kg = 255kg. However, they can only carry 17 * 10kg = 170kg.

Doing some research, it seems that snowmobiles weigh between 225-250kg. I went heavier to represent the fact that this snowmobile seems a bit faster than average and to gloss over the fact that it probably wasn't intended to carry an ork and a troll who probably weight 1,000+ pounds between them. But, again, I don't have Hazard Pay so I'm winging things a bit here.

Now it might be possible to score the hits from a Strength test to carry the snowmobile but I wanted to avoid dealing with the Fatigue rules for how taxing this might be over 200m. But if you want to go that route than I can research it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:41:52/11-30-14)
And pushing the snowmobile would not be hard. You two are beasts. It would be relatively quick and quiet to push it to the Rover.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:22:34/11-30-14)
All right, the IC has been edited. Hopefully, I didn't screw it up again. I think I got it though.

@Pointdexter

Also, sorry for kind of just stringing Uncle Sam along; I hope you don't mind. It's your show from here.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (19:33:05/11-30-14)
ok, out of character, i have no idea which entrances i should and should not trap, or really how many there are even. I imagine Sam would know these things, so would someone mind helpin me out a lil bit here?

Once i get all my demo rolls taken care of, i'll include all of that in the IC post.

in the meantime, I'll leave a placeholder.

Anyone know what kind of test it is to set explosive traps? I don't imagine it's a quick like, slapdash sort of affair, is it?

I'm just so damn lost with explosives, arg!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:46:52/12-01-14)
IC up, took longer than I expected. Should be a fun read though. It's long - I couldn't help myself; I had a blank canvas to paint dreams on.


If my creative license conflicts with any pre-established canon regarding our pre-amnesia selves, it's a dream. It might be 100% true, or it might be tainted by whatever caused the amnesia. We won't know until we know.


All that remains to be seen is whether I wake up to a pleasant morning or the panicked shouts of my flat mates.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:56:47/12-01-14)
Been gone all day and just now back at my computer.

Poindexter, I'm not sure there are canon rules for placing traps. Survival might cover snares and the like but Sam's smart enough (metatype max for troll!) that he can rig up some impromptu booby traps. Provided that you're not planning anything overly elaborate, let's call it a simple Logic+Demolitions test and leave the rest to roleplay. Give me an idea of what you're planning - "I want to rig one of my flashbangs to go off if someone comes in the front door" - and we'll go from there. Let's call it three entrances (front door, back door, garage) and tons of windows (probably more than you have the equipment to deal with). I might recommend setting the traps after you return from the Rover run.

Zweiblumen, I'll read through your PMs and get back to you in a bit.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (09:06:59/12-01-14)
Poindexter, I'm not sure there are canon rules for placing traps. Survival might cover snares and the like but Sam's smart enough (metatype max for troll!) that he can rig up some impromptu booby traps. Provided that you're not planning anything overly elaborate, let's call it a simple Logic+Demolitions test and leave the rest to roleplay. Give me an idea of what you're planning - "I want to rig one of my flashbangs to go off if someone comes in the front door" - and we'll go from there. Let's call it three entrances (front door, back door, garage) and tons of windows (probably more than you have the equipment to deal with). I might recommend setting the traps after you return from the Rover run.

How long do you think it would take to trap all these doors? Are we talking about extended tests here?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:05:28/12-01-14)
If my creative license conflicts with any pre-established canon regarding our pre-amnesia selves, it's a dream. It might be 100% true, or it might be tainted by whatever caused the amnesia. We won't know until we know.

"Due to tampering with canonical writ, your creative license has been suspended for 90 days. If you would like to submit a ticket to reapply for your license, call 1-800-CREATIVE. Have a wonderful day."

Just kidding, I enjoyed reading it. Chino sounded like a supreme badass too  ;D
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (12:22:11/12-01-14)
Thanks. If I'm going to write for someone else's character, I want to give them some spotlight so hopefully the player doesn't mind my taking liberties. I did, however, confuse Hang Time for Light Body, so unless you have that ability and just haven't discovered it yet, the amazing jump is an exaggeration of Ohanzee's memory. But the kick and melee awesomeness is all Chino.


Sam played the straight man a couple of times, but really Ohanzee was just a jack ass with his keeping things to himself to make others feel stupid, so it didn't cast Sam in any negative light. I'm trying to give Ohanzee a slightly different (and less serious) personality pre-amnesia. A little impish, even, if you'll excuse the dig on his height.


There may have been other cameos from team members, but you'll have to imagine them into the crowds at either the rally or the night club.  :P

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (12:47:44/12-01-14)
Doc has somethings going on in the Matrix while the boys are headed to the Rover.  I've got a placeholder up so I can take some time to write it up correctly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:10:32/12-01-14)
Poindexter, here's a rule we can use. I found it hidden under Grenades on p. 435 of SR5.

Quote
Grenades and similar explosives can also be
rigged with a tripwire to set up as a basic booby-trap.
This requires an Extended Demolitions + Logic [Mental]
(8, 1 Complex Action) Test.

Your other demolitions materiel can qualify as "similar explosives" if you would prefer to use that instead of your 'nades.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:48:57/12-01-14)
Poindexter, here's a rule we can use. I found it hidden under Grenades on p. 435 of SR5.

Quote
Grenades and similar explosives can also be
rigged with a tripwire to set up as a basic booby-trap.
This requires an Extended Demolitions + Logic [Mental]
(8, 1 Complex Action) Test.

Your other demolitions materiel can qualify as "similar explosives" if you would prefer to use that instead of your 'nades.

Clarify for me, just a bit then, will ya?
Is this saying i need 8 hits and each check takes an hour?

Furthermore, the bit about explosives doing base dmg + number of hits rolled... Does that mean, every trap always adds at least 8 to the damage?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:58:35/12-01-14)
You need 8 hits per trap. Every check takes one Complex Action. So, 3 seconds. Subtracting a die from each roll because it's an Extended test, Sam would need 4 rolls per trap on average. Glitching is the biggest danger, but that's what titanium bone lacing and damage compensators are for!!!

(The grenades are only going to pop if you crit glitch. If you glitch you'll just reset the process and start over.)

The bit about explosives doing base damage + number of hits rolled is for destroying barriers. That would be a one-time roll (not an extended test). The net hits bonus would not apply to an extended test, like setting a trap.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (15:22:30/12-01-14)
Trap main entrance roll 1 (http://orokos.com/roll/235256): 8d6t5 1

Trap main entrance roll 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/235257): 7d6t5 3

Trap main entrance roll 3 (http://orokos.com/roll/235258): 6d6t5 2

Trap main entrance roll 4 (http://orokos.com/roll/235259): 5d6t5 1

Trap main entrance roll 5 (http://orokos.com/roll/235261): 4d6t5 0

Trap main entrance roll 6 (http://orokos.com/roll/235263): 3d6t5 1

Ok, first trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a rating 4 electrical detonator.

Trap secondary entrance roll 1 (http://orokos.com/roll/235265): 8d6t5 3

Trap secondary entrance roll 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/235266): 7d6t5 3

Trap secondary entrance roll 3 (http://orokos.com/roll/235267): 6d6t5 1

Trap secondary entrance roll 4 (http://orokos.com/roll/235268): 5d6t5 1

Ok, second trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a pull detonator.

Trap third entrance roll 1 (http://orokos.com/roll/235270): 8d6t5 5

Trap third entrance roll 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/235272): 7d6t5 1

Trap third entrance roll 3 (http://orokos.com/roll/235273): 6d6t5 1

Trap third entrance roll 4 (http://orokos.com/roll/235275): 5d6t5 1

Ok, third trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a push detonator.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:06:44/12-01-14)
My first reaction was "does anyone in the house want to survive the trap going off?" but it turns out 1kg of commercial explosives isn't that strong, per the rules. (According to p.436, it's only 5P, AP -2.)

The third roll on the secondary entrance has three 1s on six dice. At this point I'm going to take a poll about how we want to rule glitches going forward. 4E rules are 50%+ of dice rolled 1s, 5E rules say 51% are 1s. Both create situations of mathematical nonsense:

Odds of glitching at...50%+51%+
4 dice13.2%1.6%
5 dice3.6%3.6%
6 dice6.2%0.9%
7 dice1.8%1.8%
8 dice3.1%0.5%

With 50%+ (4E rules) that it is easier to glitch with 6 dice than with 5, which is counterintuitive. But with 5E it is easier to glitch on 7 dice than with 6, which is also silly. So do you want your glitch nonsense on odd dicerolls or even ones?

Ryo was playing with 4E rules in Chapter 1 (see below), but I've seen several of you post on the topic in other forums. Thus, the vote. (Poindexter's current situation is not dire. The roll is not a crit glitch, so he's safe. He would just have to reroll the secondary entrance.)

1s only matter if it is half or more of your total dice pool. You've got 3 ones on 7 dice, so you didn't glitch.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:15:45/12-01-14)
My IC is updated to reflect that Chino does not (as far as I know) have Light Body. Wall running ends up being slightly cooler IMO anyway.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (16:15:55/12-01-14)
My first reaction was "does anyone in the house want to survive the trap going off?" but it turns out 1kg of commercial explosives isn't that strong, per the rules. (According to p.436, it's only 5P, AP -2.)

Yeah, i noticed that as well. Explosives dont really seem that bad-ass anymore. Quite a few in our group throw around more dmg than that with a punch.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:21:25/12-01-14)
I never realized I read that section so poorly, I've been playing by the 4e rules.  Overall I vote for 5e as it's WAY less glitches over all. :) but that's just me being greedy.  As we are using both 4e and 5e rules for various things my vote is for what ever the majority is unless you need a tie breaker, then I'll go 5e.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:26:58/12-01-14)
I think he can get more damage out of them by focusing the blast in one direction (shaping the charge), but I don't know that that can be applied akin to a claymore or if it only is doable when trying to destroy barriers/structures.


As far as glitch rules, I don't really care either way. I'd vote for the 5e way just for general consistency (we are playing 5e rules predominantly), and its how I've been playing (I think I have at least one roll that would have glitched under 4e but not under 5e that I did not count as a glitch). But I'm good either way going forward.


@zweiblumen: Not greedy - the fewer glitches thing goes both ways - our opponents will benefit from it as well. And overall, they are probably rolling lower dice pools in general, so it actually favors them more.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (16:31:14/12-01-14)
I think he can tamp the charge, which gives it 4 times the DV? I'm away from my books right now, so I can't check it.

As far as glitch rules, all my other games use the SR5 rules. It doesn't matter either way to me, but using SR5 rules is probably more consistent.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:25:17/12-01-14)
Sounds like we'll use 5E rules for glitching then. No glitch for Sam on the demolitions roll, so the traps are set. Now, does Ace still want to add beer bottles to the commercial explosives...

A "simple charge" (less than 5kg) may not be tamped, per Run & Gun (p. 178). Even if it could be tamped, the wisdom of triggering a 20P explosion in the house is debatable.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (17:31:12/12-01-14)
yeah, i dont know if id do 20 if i could. But 5 seems like a waste of time, resources, and effort. Yeah, it will let us know we're being intruded on, but so will the beer bottles, and we can't use beer bottles to breach a wall later on if we need to.

ARG! I'm torn.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (18:23:38/12-01-14)
Whoops, looks like I wasn't clear on the explosives Sam had.

Quote
can(1 kg) of foam explosive
several types of detonators
a few sticks of dynamite
a home made bomb
some det cord.

The can of foam explosive is Rating 18.

The 'several types of detonators' was 2 of each type listed in Run and Gun, all of highest rating (so 6 for Optical, 3 for Radio and Timer).

There are 4 sticks of dynamite, each one the equivalent to 1 kilogram of commercial explosives.

There is 20 meters of High Yield detonating cord wound up like rope.

I'll PM the specs of the home made bomb to Tecumseh. The GM decides what Sam can tell by looking at it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:38:08/12-01-14)
Even if it could be tamped, the wisdom of triggering a 20P explosion in the house is debatable.
Well, at the doors and directed outwards, this wouldn't be a problem. But, the requiring of 5kg to do is the deal killer.  :(
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:26:36/12-01-14)
Sorry I've been a little absent. Computer issues are bringing Me to a dead stand still at the day job.

Re: explosives, I think Sam should wire the front and back door. Garage door is not likely to be the main briefing point and I'm not sure how we'd wire the windows. If there's any fishing line in the house Ace can use the beer bottle trick on the windows with about 5M of line per window, assuming standard picture window sizes. I don't see the point of using both beer bottles and explosives on any given exit.

As for shaping the charge, if aluminum cans are still a thing, those and some tape -- ok, a lot of tape -- could probably shape the charge enough for our purposes. Ace probably doesn't know this, but I bet Sam would.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (22:13:16/12-01-14)
I'm a little more concerned about accidentally blowing up a concerned neighbor, or if the owner returns, the owner. Sure, we don't really care about the house, and if another strike team comes, explosions will be very useful. I just figure if an explosion goes off, our cover may be kinda blown (well, I could say no pun intended, but it works ...). Then again, if we don't have the explosions, then if it is a strike team, we lose a good line of defense.

I don't know, I say it's better to be safe than dead, so setting up the explosives is probably good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (22:26:03/12-01-14)
rednblack, thank you for checking in. The action is off Ace for the moment so no need to worry. The update is appreciated though. Good luck with the computer issues.

Notes
- There is a lot of fishing line in the garage.
- There is plenty of tape too.
- Aluminum cans exist in the future. The original SR4 core book (not the anniversary edition) featured a fiction piece where a runner team was hired to poison a batch of BUZZ!BLITZ - "CHUG THE BOMB!" - a high octane beverage marketed to trolls. The accompanying art (p. 5, SR4) features a stay-tab aluminum can.

If it came up for discussion, Katsina would vote for a quieter option for the traps, one that doesn't automatically alert the neighbors and trigger emergency calls. She would back Ace's plan. Or does she back that plan because it is Ace's? Hmm.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:20:32/12-01-14)
OK, i gotta admit, I'm rather stymied by all of this explosives stuff. I feel sorta like when you play someone elses game of minecraft and you get the basics of the game, but you don't know what all their mods do, y'know? If there's anyone in the group that gets this stuff and wouldnt mind giving me a crash course in explosives 101,  or a link to a quick and easy guide of the basics, that would be AWESOME. i don't wanna hold the game up over this any more than i feel like i already have been.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:34:41/12-02-14)
I'm holding things up as well, so don't worry so much about it :)  Overall I think we've got a pretty good pace going, especially with the holidays.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (01:15:08/12-02-14)
OK, i gotta admit, I'm rather stymied by all of this explosives stuff. I feel sorta like when you play someone elses game of minecraft and you get the basics of the game, but you don't know what all their mods do, y'know? If there's anyone in the group that gets this stuff and wouldnt mind giving me a crash course in explosives 101,  or a link to a quick and easy guide of the basics, that would be AWESOME. i don't wanna hold the game up over this any more than i feel like i already have been.

Keeping it simple, explosives boils down to two things that matter: Rating and Kilograms. The final DV of your boom is determined by the Rating multiplied by the square root of the kilograms used. For simplicity, never bother with a number of kilograms that does not have a whole number as the square root. Here's a handy table.

KilogramsMultiplier
1
1
4
2
9
3
16
4
25
5

Etc.

There are two tests when building a bomb. The first is to shape the explosive and make it better at booming, increasing the effective rating. This is optional, and is the test described in the core book. You roll Logic + Demolitions, and add your hits to the rating of the bomb when determining DV.

The second test is the actual construction of the bomb. Since this is the Simple version of building a bomb, the time is entirely dependent on how many kilos you plan to use. (There are other factors, like number of charges/detonators, but you don't need to worry about that.)

Simple: 5 kilograms or less. Demolitions + Logic [Mental] (6, 10 minutes) Extended Test.
Average: 6-10 kilograms. Demolitions + Logic [Mental] (12, 1 hour) Extended Test.
Complex: 11 kilograms or more. Demolitions + Logic [Mental] (18, 1 day) Extended Test.

So you decide you want to build a 4 kilogram bomb out of the 4 sticks of dynamite you have.

Step 1: Logic + Demolitions [Mental] Simple test. You get 2 hits, so your Dynamite sticks now count as rating 7. (5 + 2 hits).

Step 2: Build the bomb. It's less than 5 kilograms, so this is a Demolitions + Logic [Mental] (6, 10 minutes) Extended Test. You easily combine your dynamite with detonators in about 30 minutes.

4 kilograms is a x2 modifier, so your bomb is 14P, AP -2, with a Blast of -2 per meter.

You get a bonus if you attach it directly to a structure. This both doubles the DV and halves the armor value of the barrier. In this situation, your bomb is 28P AP -half, Blast -2 per meter. This bonus only applies to the Structure. Anything else caught in the blast takes the base damage. The shrapnel created by destroying the Structure is a different matter.

And that's all you really need to know for the basic level of bomb making. You can get more complicated by involving the different detonators, tamping, multiple charges, Homemade explosives, including Anti-Removal modifications, breaching vs. cutting charges, using explosives purely to create secondary sharpnel blasts, abusing enclosed spaces to achieve chunky salsa, and so on, but you can work your way up to all that.

And I imagine Tecumseh would include a third test for setting up a fancy booby trap using the bomb you just built, like the one mentioned with Grenades. That gets into Build/Repair territory, where the only limits are your imagination and the leniency of the GM.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:15:02/12-02-14)
I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to Ryo for that nice recap, and hello to the NSA and any other new observers we may have.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (02:52:08/12-02-14)
How about we compromise? We booby tap the entrances with non destructive measures like beer bottles to alert us to uninvited guests, and we then put the boom in hallways and internal doors and other choke points, but set them up to be manually triggered either with radio detonation or pull cables so we can use them tactically as a force multiplier or delaying tactic during retreat?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:21:11/12-02-14)
In the interests of keeping things moving, let's make a decision and move forward with it. Poindexter, please do whatever you feel Sam would in this situation, given all the factors (sense of threat, but tired, and the prospect of working while tired, but the prospect of another high threat response team landing on the roof... etc.), and post it up for us. Take us through the demise of the Rover.

Zweiblumen should be ready to post his piece now too. Then we can address the return trip for Sam and Chino.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (08:51:24/12-02-14)
IC post up.  To let everyone know what actually happened there, I found the drone and tried to be sneaky, rolled HORRIBLY Hacking(6) + Logic(9) + VR(2) + Datajack(1) + Signal Scrub(2) - Noise(Distance(3) - Wilderness/Snow(4) (http://orokos.com/roll/235249): 12d6t5 1 hit out of 12?!?! Burned edge, but ran afoul my Bad Luck NQ.  Hilarity ensued.  For what it's worth, I nearly lost my deck due to the stupidity of having my agent try to attack.  Learned my lesson there, leave him for defense!  Noise kills ;)

If we got lucky and the drone crashed into the snow somewhere along the way back to the house I think we should grab it.  Could get useful data off of it, but I don't think it's worth wasting a lot of time.

That said, I might be able to find it.  @Tec, what devices were rebooted?  If the rigger was jumped in, all of my damage was going to his RCC.  If he rebooted that I'm guessing the drone wouldn't actually be that badly effected.  Now I'm worried there's a drone hovering on dog brain 100 meters above the road that knows I'm around.  Am I perceiving this wrong?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:56:50/12-02-14)
If all he did was reboot the drone to lose your marks, then the drone and he will be ready to rock next CT. I'd continue to keep an eye out or the drone to suddenly pop back up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:02:46/12-02-14)
Katsina Magic Fingers @F4: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235641), a lazy spell
Soaking 2 drain: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235642)

Carving test: INT 6 + Artisan 2 + Specialization 2 - 1 wounds - 2 sustaining = 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235644), decent but nothing special

At this point, we'll give Poindexter a chance to catch up before moving forward with the IC.

Rednblack, feel free to do something IC at the house unless you're waiting for Poindexter's decision with the explosives (and/or a functional work computer).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (15:04:24/12-02-14)
Did Katsina just turn into a mother hen?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:09:52/12-02-14)
A little bit, yes. She's (conciously or unconsciously) exhibiting some behavior patterns from her previous life, and/or her mentor spirit. Speaking of which, I forgot my mentor spirit dice for the Magic Fingers test.

Mentor spirit bonus: 2 extra hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235647), now 4, which is the limit of the spell. That's more like it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:24:15/12-02-14)
Katsina doing a Combat Sense preparation at F6 with the Contact trigger:

Magic 6 + Alchemy 5 + Mentor Spirit 2 - 2 sustaining - 1 wounds: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235701), so Potency is 6
Soaking 7 drain: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235703), so 4S, added to her current 4 equals 8 boxes. She'll sleep well.

Final preparation is Force 6, Potency 6.

Full potency until 08:30. Potency 2 @ 12:30, Potency 0 @ 14:30.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (19:30:43/12-02-14)
Ok, I'm getting too bogged down in these damn rules and i wanna just post, so im gonna go ahead and do my IC post and get to the rolls and whatnot here in a minute. Lets just assume that all the entrances are trapped with a lethal, but not a silly amount of explosives and ill crunch the numbers here later on.

Cool?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:31:55/12-02-14)
Sure, that sounds like a good approach.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:47:42/12-02-14)
Again, I suggest manual triggers for the boom.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:49:16/12-02-14)
IC post finally up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:49:05/12-03-14)
Thank you, Poindexter. I'll get some IC posts up, both for Katsina and for what's happening outside, and we'll resume apace.

Slight correction of my last roll. Per Ryo's house rules, the alchemy preparation should have resisted with Force 6 - Alchemy 5 = 1 die. That 1 die turned out to be a hit (http://orokos.com/roll/235818) (naturally, a hit when you don't want one), so the final Potency is 5, not 6.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (01:03:20/12-03-14)
Slight correction of my last roll. Per Ryo's house rules, the alchemy preparation should have resisted with Force 6 - Alchemy 5 = 1 die. That 1 die turned out to be a hit (http://orokos.com/roll/235818) (naturally, a hit when you don't want one), so the final Potency is 5, not 6.

I assume she made that preparation prior to removing her mask in the kitchen, so she'd also get +2 dice from her Enchanting Focus.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:11:21/12-03-14)
Damnit, you're right. But she already maxed out the hits - Force 6 capping it at 6 hits - so the 2 extra dice wouldn't help (since the Limit applies to maximum number of hits you can apply to the Opposed Test).

But I should add a Notes column next to skills so I don't forget next time.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:05:39/12-03-14)
Does the Snowski leave tracks? Or are they going to get covered by more snow?

Either way, I think Chino wants to at least destroy the drone so their enemies can't use it. It's not like they don't already have strike teams after them. The question is, does Smashing Blow apply against the drone?

Edit: Based on IC post, I think a Perception check is in order. From what I know, I'm rolling Perception 4 + Intuition 3 + Specifically Looking 3 - Heavy Snow 3 for 7 dice total. Does that sound right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:38:16/12-03-14)
The Snowski does leave tracks. Given the combined weight of Sam and Chino, the tracks are deeper than usual. More snow is predicted for the next 7 hours or so.

Chino and Sam both have the Outdoors skill at rating 2. Some Tracking rolls (http://orokos.com/roll/235853):
Sam: 0 hits
Chino: 1 hit

The tracks will certainly be softened by additional snow - and the wind may help erode them too - but you can't say for sure if they will be eliminated completely. Chino thinks that Sam could drag a tree branch or something behind them to help break down the ridges some more.

Smashing Blow applies to "a barrier or other static structure". SR5 says that vehicles are not barriers ("People and vehicles have Body and Armor, while barriers have Structure and Armor." p. 197), so Smashing Blow would not apply.

If it makes you feel better, the aspen tree appears to have applied Rooting to the drone already. (Has the Rooting power not made the leap to SR5 yet? Okay, the punchline can be "Counterstrike" instead.) Between the sudden stop and being engulfed in flames, the prospects for the drone are dim.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:43:28/12-03-14)
All right, so no Smashing Blow. Are we fairly confident that it's been destroyed beyond reasonable repair?

Also, Rooting has been added, but it's in Shadowspells.

Quote from: Shadowspells; page 24
Rooting allows an adept to become a nearly immovable object with a Simple Action. The power provides +1 to the adept’s Physical Limit for Knockdown (p. 194, SR5) only. It also provides a +1 dice pool modifier to any test resisting being knocked down, levitated, or otherwise being displaced against their will. The adept cannot move while the power is active, and she takes a –3 dice pool penalty to Dodge, Block or Parry tests while the power is active. The power can be canceled with a Free Action.

Not sure if that's what it was in SR4.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:48:24/12-03-14)
Ach! I have Shadow Spells, which doesn't seem to have been incorporated into Chummer 5 yet.

According to Chino's professional opinion, by which I mean Aeronautics Mechanic (3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235856)), the drone is fragged up the hoop and out the slot.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:51:37/12-03-14)
Ach! I have Shadow Spells, which doesn't seem to have been incorporated into Chummer 5 yet.

According to Chino's professional opinion, by which I mean Aeronautics Mechanic (3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/235856)), the drone is fragged up the hoop and out the slot.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think it will be any time soon. Same goes for Run & Gun and Street Grimoire Errata. Adam has been MIA for a while (not that I blame him).

Thanks for rolling those various rolls, I've never actually used those skills before  ::) So, I have no idea when to be rolling them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:22:33/12-03-14)
Current situation
- Ace and Katsina are talking in the dining room.
- Sam and Chino are at the crash site of the drone.
- Doc is in VR, at Sam and Chino's location (more or less). Per his earlier access, he can piggyback on Sam's goggles and Chino's earbuds to see what's happening with the drone.
- Ohanzee is asleep.

Next steps
- Sam, Chino, and Doc are free to comment further on the drone or to return to the house. Chino can also respond to Sam's comments (in his updated IC post), or start another conversation, or punch a tree down because he wants too that's why.
- If/when Sam and Chino return, they may wish to address their tracks.
- Rednblack and I are having most of our conversation by PM so no need to wait for us.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (18:26:59/12-03-14)
Next steps
- Sam, Chino, and Doc are free to comment further on the drone or to return to the house. Chino can also respond to Sam's comments (in his updated IC post),

I DID kinda drop a conversation bomb all stealth like that back there. 8 Bit might not have noticed it. :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (19:10:31/12-03-14)
Next steps
- Sam, Chino, and Doc are free to comment further on the drone or to return to the house. Chino can also respond to Sam's comments (in his updated IC post),

I DID kinda drop a conversation bomb all stealth like that back there. 8 Bit might not have noticed it. :)

You mean the destroying the obelisk? I did kind of miss it, oops.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:37:05/12-03-14)
So, yeah. While Ohanzee's sleeping peacefully, I'm biting my nails wanting to provide input. So, I wrote more dreams.


Ohanzee can't stand not being in the limelight. But at least he's willing to share it.


Oh yeah, also we're supposed to try to post at least once a day, so 10 lines of "zzzzzzzzz" was the other option.


You're welcome.  ;D


Though that's still on the table for tomorrow if he's still sleeping...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (19:49:07/12-03-14)
So, yeah. While Ohanzee's sleeping peacefully, I'm biting my nails wanting to provide input. So, I wrote more dreams.


Ohanzee can't stand not being in the limelight. But at least he's willing to share it.


Oh yeah, also we're supposed to try to post at least once a day, so 10 lines of "zzzzzzzzz" was the other option.


You're welcome.  ;D


Though that's still on the table for tomorrow if he's still sleeping...

Ohanzee must be really out of it if he's sleeping for 3 days straight  :)

All right, edited my IC. Hopefully that makes it a little easier for Uncle Sam to respond.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:29:40/12-04-14)
Bumping this. Let's get an IC post from Sam responding to Chino's comments. Chino can also comment on Sam's bombshell if he so chooses. Anyone can reply to Ohanzee's sleep-troding.

Ace and Katsina will probably wrap up soon. I'll advance the action tomorrow (snowmobiling back to the house) if 8-bit and Poindexter don't cover it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:30:19/12-05-14)
Top-notch RP, guys. It's been really great all around. Lots of good stuff happening.

I'll let the current scene go for a little longer in case 8-bit or Poindexter wanted to continue the conversation. If not, then we'll proceed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (18:41:02/12-05-14)
Hopefully I didn't break anything about the story with some of my comments. Even if I did, Chino can have his own paranoia and thoughts without necessarily being right.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:55:57/12-05-14)
Nope, things are going great. I can't speak for Ryo but I'm very pleased with how things are developing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:20:39/12-05-14)
Just in case it wasn't clear, the last line of my previous IC post means that Ohanzee remains awake for a few minutes after his communication so that he can respond to any immediate questions or comments from the team before going radio silent. I bring it up simply because none of the characters have voiced any thoughts about it (Sam and Katsina have a thought, but don't share it), so I didn't know if people were assuming he "spoke" and then immediately turned off his gear.


Also, good stuff going on there, but all of these private conversations I'm not privy to IC, it's gonna make it hard to keep track of what exactly Ohanzee knows. So, keep me straight if I happen to post IC about something I shouldn't know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:58:26/12-05-14)
Sam and Chino both responded to Ohanzee:

Quote
<<@Team [Uncle Sam] Sounds like a good plan.>>
<<@Team [Chino] Agreed. It will have to wait for tomorrow, I mean, later today. I don't think we can do anymore tonight.>>

I intended to have Katsina voice her support for Chino's opinion but forgot to do so.

I'll give Poindexter a bit more time in case he wants Sam to respond to Chino's latest insights.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (23:23:27/12-05-14)
@Tecumseh:  Are they hearing through their DNI or through their earbuds?  Basically, is Doc privy to this converation?  He'd love to be part of it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:25:43/12-05-14)
unless Doc is hacked into our comms, he's out. Although Sam plans on spilling the beans on the whole damn thing once they get back to the house.

Or maybe not. Maybe he'll just blow the fucker up without saying anything to anyone. I aint decided yet. The obelisk, not the house.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:13:16/12-06-14)
Doc was previously given access to Chino's earbuds and Sam's goggles so that he could keep eyes and ears on things during the approach to the the house. Presumably this was done by Sam and Chino inviting marks so that Doc could spoof the data streams.

My default answer is that Doc still has access. If both Sam and Chino have reset their commlinks - specifically to nix Doc's access, or for any other reason - then I'll say he's out, but if either one of you left your commlinks on and marked then he does have access to spoof and eavesdrop.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (00:17:53/12-06-14)
I imagine while going through the trouble of setting it so only Chino could hear him, Sam would have taken the extra step even though Poindexter forgot about that. :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:20:39/12-06-14)
Er, um. Um. Can I use the same answer ..?

I'll be honest, I completely forgot about that in the heat of the IC; this is getting interesting.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:56:54/12-06-14)
If you guys turn it off, he's likely to get paranoid and actively try to listen in.  If you are retconning, I'd like the opportunity to as well.

...

And this turned PvP pretty fast :(  Sorry guys, I don't mean to be a jerk, but all of us are being super paranoid right now and I don't think it's out of character.  Also, Doc actually just has more information to add to the conversation.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:01:10/12-06-14)
If you guys turn it off, he's likely to get paranoid and actively try to listen in.  If you are retconning, I'd like the opportunity to as well.

...

And this turned PvP pretty fast :(  Sorry guys, I don't mean to be a jerk, but all of us are being super paranoid right now and I don't think it's out of character.  Also, Doc actually just has more information to add to the conversation.

Naw dude, thats AWESOME. You retcon and PvP and ALL that shit. :) it sounds fun as hell. Go head and hack my comm, or Chino's if it's easier. Roll em, homey!

In the interest of having less to worry about retconning, would you mind, if succesfull, limiting your hacking to just listening in, rather than joining in the discussion? Perhaps Doc can intercept us inside the house to add said information?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:02:27/12-06-14)
Same here, no hard feelings. Sam and Chino are acting super weird and paranoid, so it's all good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:12:48/12-06-14)
comm defense is Int+Firewall, right? If so, Sam has 9 dice to resist. If his is the link you decide to hack, I'll go ahead and make the roll in the interest of speed.

Comm Defense (http://orokos.com/roll/236673): 9d6t5 2

EDIT: I also feel it's worth noting that since we've entered the house, we've been regular ole whispering, so no hacking that bit.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:15:34/12-06-14)
comm defense is Int+Firewall, right? If so, Sam has 9 dice to resist. If his is the link you decide to hack, I'll go ahead and make the roll in the interest of speed.

Comm Defense (http://orokos.com/roll/236673): 9d6t5 2

Willpower + Firewall, actually.

I'll do the same.

Commlink Defense (Willpower 5 + Firewall 3) (http://orokos.com/roll/236675): 8d6t5 0 [2, 1, 1, 4, 4, 2, 2, 1]

Well ... Chino ain't got shit to defend with. That was probably the most anticlimactic defense roll ever. Hell, my link might as well give you a Mark without my permission :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:21:27/12-06-14)
I kinda dont feel like he needs to roll for either of us at this point.

I'm gonna assume he listened to all the subvocal shit on the way here and give him a little bit to make a post about intercepting us once we reach the house.

i guess I would have gotten 2 extra dice for the roll, but with Chino having a cheaper commlink, it seems like he would have been the target anyways, right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:23:20/12-06-14)
Probably. We'll see if we get stopped or something while making our plans. Or he just wakes Ohanzee up. For a dwarf, that guy is surprisingly scary.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:31:11/12-06-14)
To be honest, he'd hack both to make sure he got all the info.
Here goes:
Mark Chino's com Logic(9)+Hacking(6)+VR(2)+SS(2)+DJ(1)-Wounds(1)-Noise(7)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/236676): 12d6t5 4(limit 5) Got a mark there.

Mark Sam's com Logic(9)+Hacking(6)+VR(2)+SS(2)+DJ(1)-Wounds(1)-Noise(7)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/236677): 12d6t5 2(limit 5)
Yeah, he's burning edge like it's going out of style!!!  (2 hits on 12 dice....AGAIN?!)
Burning more edge! (http://orokos.com/roll/236678): 10d6t5 4 6 hits, 5 count.  And You get 2 more dice, but that would max out at 4, so I'd get my mark anyway.

Time to start snooping:
Snooping on Chino Intuition(4)+EW(6)+Ganglia(1)+VR(2)+SS(2)+DJ(1)-Wounds(1)-Noise(7)=8 (http://orokos.com/roll/236679): 8d6t5 2
MOAR EDGE! (Can't roll worth shit) (http://orokos.com/roll/236680): 6d6t5 1
Well, that wasn't that useful... 3 hits, 8-bit, lets see if I can snoop on Chino or if he see's me coming.

And either way, Doc will meet you guys at the door.  He's gonna wanna talk either way, it'll just matter if you guys are pissed at him or not :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:33:20/12-06-14)
So, Doc heard everything? Cool. I'll wait till you get a post in before Chino and Sam continue their conversation.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:49:43/12-06-14)
Dunno if I heard anything until 8-bit rolls his snoop defense (need more than just the mark, need the mark + snoop).  Didn't bother to more than mark Sam's comm as he's got a *lot* better defense than Chino does, just from the quality of the commlink.  Chino actually has a pretty good chance of resisting the Snoop, in which case he's just going to confront you guys (which is pretty scary for a puny human staring down a troll and an ork), so he might end up not so happy with life :P  If he gets the snoop, that'll be a lot easier.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:52:17/12-06-14)
Defending against Snoop (Logic 4 + Firewall 3) (http://orokos.com/roll/236681): 7d6t5 2 [4, 5, 1, 3, 2, 6, 2]

You damn lucky man :)

Go on, you heard everything, we don't know it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (02:00:17/12-06-14)
I've never been the "lets just blow it up" guy before and i still dont feel like i am, but EVERYTHING i know is telling me to just set the timer on this fucker, wake the rest of the team up and figure something out on the fly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:02:59/12-06-14)
Schweet!  Bad rolls all around (though I blew 2 edge on this.  I'm down to 3).  I'm sure Tec can tell me how bad my rolls have been :)

IC post coming up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:26:38/12-06-14)
They were pretty bad. You rolled like 40+ dice there.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:41:15/12-06-14)
I can't tell you how funny this is, players begging other players to hack their comms.

One very important defense roll for Sam's commlink to resist the spoof command: 4 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4733113/)

That makes Doc's final Overwatch Score is 37. He unplugs and reboots moments before hitting the 15-minute threshold where we would be adding 2d6, which would have been +7.

Moving forward: Katsina would definitely hear Sam and Chino return and would be curious about Doc going to the garage to greet them. Zweiblumen's IC post also alludes to Doc not being that quiet. Katsina has good hearing and would be alert enough to wake Ace. OOCly, I certainly don't want to leave Ohanzee/Malevolence out of the conversation simply because no one explicitly wakes him up. Mal, feel free to use whatever IC justification you see fit to hear people moving around in the house: still awake, heard the garage door open, etc.

I was going to post ICly about the snowmobile trip back to the house but it was all color and fluff. I don't want to interrupt the flow of the IC conversation, which is awesome. I don't have time to post as Katsina at the moment but I will in the morning. Please continue the conversation!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:47:48/12-06-14)
Eh, bad, but not horrible over all.  48 dice, 13 hits.  27% which is only 6% off of average.  But yeah, I'm looking forward to rolling better in the future :)

Also, I specifically *didn't* spoof Sam's link because it would be too hard.
Quote
SNOOP
(COMPLEX ACTION)
Marks Required: 1
Test: Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze] v. Logic + Firewall
This action lets you intercept Matrix traffic sent to and from your target for as long as you have the target marked. You can listen to, view, or read this data live, or you can save it for later playback/viewing if you have something to store it on (your deck will do).

Do I need both?  If so, I'm pretty sure I'd totally fail.  Dunno if I'd burn *another* edge at that point, but I might figuring go big or go home.... dunno.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:53:27/12-06-14)
Well, true, but you lost a lot of hits due to Limits as well.

I have an IC post in progress, will post soon. Just taking some time to make it good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:09:37/12-06-14)
I'm going to remain asleep for now. I think I'm the only one not hiding any secrets (am I lying? Only Tecumseh knows for sure  :-X ) so I'm going to let you guys come to me with a consensus (or get awoken by a loud boom).

I feel I should be driving into my teammates (Astral perception, commlink search, whatever) but Ohanzee has no reason to be paranoid about his teammates IC (except maybe Ace after the dream).

If he hears people returning he'll just assume things are okay and go back to sleep - he trusts that someone will wake him if it's important.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:34:58/12-06-14)
All right, IC up.

@Malevolence

I have the feeling someone will be waking you soon; Katsina and whatever decision we come to with the obelisk probably counts as important.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:11:26/12-06-14)
When I'm woken up, just so I can get most things out of the way without requiring a ton of IC back and forth, there are some questions Ohanzee will have.

Are we sure Sam made the bomb? Is it possible we removed it and that it was placed by someone else? From what I (and Ohanzee) know, here are the pieces of the puzzle that don't fit:

If we were tasked with destroying it, why did we bother taking it out of the facility? Why not just destroy it there?
If the bomb could have been assembled in less than an hour or so in a moving vehicle then maybe we made the decision to destroy it after liberating it.
If it somehow changed our minds in the facility and convinced us to take it rather than destroy it, why give us amnesia later when we were helping it?
Maybe it can only be destroyed at a particular location, which would explain why we took it and hadn't yet destroyed it as well as why it might fight back by wiping or memories. In which case we'd be well advised to find that place before destroying it.

Basically, unless these issues can be answered sufficiently, Ohanzee will likely advise not destroying it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (13:23:21/12-06-14)
If we were tasked with destroying it, why did we bother taking it out of the facility? Why not just destroy it there?
If the bomb could have been assembled in less than an hour or so in a moving vehicle then maybe we made the decision to destroy it after liberating it.
If it somehow changed our minds in the facility and convinced us to take it rather than destroy it, why give us amnesia later when we were helping it?
Maybe it can only be destroyed at a particular location, which would explain why we took it and hadn't yet destroyed it as well as why it might fight back by wiping or memories. In which case we'd be well advised to find that place before destroying it.

Basically, unless these issues can be answered sufficiently, Ohanzee will likely advise not destroying it.

These are all questions im gonna wait till they come up in IC before i adress, cause i dont want to get OOC and IC info mixed up in my head.

Also, Sam assumes everyone but him will advise against destroying it, which is why he's kinda tempted to do it now, while they're all sleeping. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, y'know?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:01:18/12-06-14)
Anyone else want to chime in? I'll leave things open for the rest of the day. I'll push things along late tonight or tomorrow if I don't hear from anyone.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (20:06:47/12-06-14)
Im pretty sure the plan is for everyone to get a nights sleep and discuss it in the morning.

Privately, Sam is planning on waking Ohanzee up when he's done with the traps and discussing it with him privately before bringing it to a committee.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:17:25/12-06-14)
Go ahead and get that started, as my next GM post will cover the hours while people are sleeping. If you're going to PM back and forth instead of doing it in the IC thread, great, just let me know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:00:34/12-07-14)
Katsina's baking efforts: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4733920/), aww yiss. Breakfast is good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:28:46/12-07-14)
Ohanzee's Assensing:
Astral Perception (looking for anything suspicious) [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/236913): 10d6t5 4
I added three dice for specifically looking but I'm not sure if it counts when I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, so feel free to subtract dice as needed.
If Ohanzee needs a stealth roll to remain hidden (basically using cover) then you'll have to roll as I don't have a value for his sneaking.


Summon Dolphin:
Summon Spirit of Water [Magic 6 + Summoning 6 + Focus 2 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/236914): 13d6t5 4
Spirit of Water Resist [Force 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/236915): 6d6t5 2
Drain Resist [WIL 6 + CHA 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/236916): 12d6t5 6
2 services, and no drain.


I'm leaving it here in case Dolphin finds a body or unwanted guests at Gloria's place. If it does not find her there, it will move on and continue the search in whatever fashion it deems best. If the place is unoccupied, Ohanzee might risk taking a look. If there are potential enemies there his next actions will depend on whether they are Awakened or not.  And so on.


ETA: I will be at a friend's house until this evening, so without a proper keyboard my posts will be brief. I might also get to find out how Orokos works on a tablet. Just FYI.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:38:39/12-07-14)
Ohanzee has Sneaking 3, and is able to peek into the astral without arousing undue attention.

Gloria's house is more than Magic * 100 meters away, so this use of the Search power counts as a remote service. As such, Dolphin will return to its home metaplane once the search is complete.

In game terms, Gloria's house has a background count from recent strong emotions: love, hate, despair, anger, fear, all the heavy-hitters. The current background count is 3, although it will eventually fade if the source of the emotional disturbances is gone. Dolphin does not find Ms. Winters herself.

I will retcon my overnight post so that Sam goes to sleep in the living room. Katsina will take the master bedroom/bathroom instead. Currently Ace, Doc, and Sam are all in the living room.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (22:20:34/12-07-14)
ok, lets talk math and dice and crap now that the IC is done...

what are the tests that i need to make to lay these 3 traps, just so i can figure out how much actual sleep Sam got last night?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:24:33/12-07-14)
More technical details, do we regen a point of edge and I'm assuming all stun damage (as almost all of us get 8ish hours?).  Any Physical?  I think the first-aid and the magic healing can only be done once each right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:20:28/12-07-14)
More technical details, do we regen a point of edge and I'm assuming all stun damage (as almost all of us get 8ish hours?).  Any Physical?  I think the first-aid and the magic healing can only be done once each right?

Also, are we houseruling stun dmg healing via resting? The way it stands, you make a check every hour, buts a standard extended test, meaning you lose a die after each hour. So, for most people 8 hours of sleep is not gonna cut it unless they get up and work out for an hour in the middle to reset their dicepool. Can we just houserule that lil bit of silliness out?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:51:19/12-08-14)
Sorry for being inactive most of the day, been out of the house.

@Tecumseh

Just as a heads-up; I'll be on a plane most of Tuesday and Friday, and will only be able to post later at night on Wednesday and Thursday. Tecumseh, if you need to take control of Chino for those parts to move things along, go ahead.

@Sleeping/Edge Regaining/Stun Damage

I assume with Katsina's wonderful meal, we will gain an Edge back; sleep + meal is usually it, IIRC. Also, the losing dice for healing tests also seem a little annoying to me, but any way we rule it is fine for me (well, you know, because luckily for me, Chino doesn't have any damage on either track  ;)).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:48:30/12-08-14)
Losing one die per interval doesn't seem to unrealistic to me, providing critical glitches are ignored, at least for stun heal rolls. Or at the very least, the penalty for a critical glitch be quadrupling the time for that interval. It makes sense that healing would slow down after a while and really most average people wouldn't have to heal more than a few points of stun damage and so wouldn't feel the pain of losing dice. It just seems that resting shouldn't be able to cause more damage as the critical glitch normally does.

But I'm fine either way.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:10:38/12-08-14)
RE: Healing stun damage
It never occurred to me to use the -1 Extended Test rule to apply to healing stun damage. The book does call it an Extended Test but doing so does lead us to certain illogical conclusions, such as sleeping losing its effectiveness to heal after a few hours for the weak (or weak-willed). Since it's an Attribute+Attribute test (as opposed to a Attribute+Skill test that suggests some limit to ability), we will not use the -1.

For sleep of extended duration, we can use Buying Hits to save ourselves some dice work. If the recover period is short (an hour or two), rolls will be required.

Right now, you can sleep as long as you want, or until Ohanzee wakes you up.

RE: Healing physical damage
All of your physical damage has been incurred within the last few hours. As such, we will not be rolling to heal it until the end of the current day (Friday the 1st). Per the rules, the day must be spent resting. Of course you can still get up, walk around, go outside, and talk to people, but strenuously exerting yourself or incurring more damage will undermine the healing process.

Doc can use his Medicine skill to promote healing. It basically functions as a Teamwork test for the healing roll. (And, yes, Zweiblumen, first aid and healing spells may only be applied once per set of wounds, but Medicine can be applied each day.)

RE: Edge refresh
I've been debating about how frequently I want to refresh Edge. Part of the uncertainty is because I don't know if the game will continue to advance a few hours at a time or if at some point we'll be fast-forwarding through days. This, in turn, is dependent on PC decisions.

Because you are getting some solid sleep, and because everyone is doing awesome on the RP, I will say that Edge is fully refreshed right now. However, don't take this as a hard precedent. I want to keep it so that using Edge is a strategic decision, rather than, "Oh I can Edge every roll because it refreshes so frequently." So no promises on when the next refresh - full or partial - will occur.

@8-bit
No worries about not posting much on the weekend. I am not expecting daily posts then. Any progress we make on the weekend is a bonus.

@Poindexter
If you just intend simple booby traps, you have already made those rolls and succeeded. Per the rules on p. 435, the interval for that extended test is only 1 combat turn, so booby traps are relatively quick to produce (less than a minute each). If you wish to use Demolitions less as a booby trap and more as a targeted explosion to be triggered manually, that would be a simple Logic + Demolitions roll. Again, we can use the rolls you made last week. The interval for that is not provided since it is a simple roll. Not being familiar with explosives myself, I would say the interval for each test could be anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes. As such, Sam would be going to sleep shortly behind the others.

Trap main entrance roll 1 (http://orokos.com/roll/235256): 8d6t5 1
Ok, first trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a rating 4 electrical detonator.

Trap secondary entrance roll 1 (http://orokos.com/roll/235265): 8d6t5 3
Ok, second trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a pull detonator.

Trap third entrance roll 1 (http://orokos.com/roll/235270): 8d6t5 5
Ok, third trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a push detonator.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:34:13/12-08-14)
All right, I'll get an IC post up sometime tomorrow.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:48:44/12-08-14)
Random musings. I'm assuming that I don't need to constantly make rolls for patrolling, but if I do, let me know.


The specific searches in the IC:
Astral Perception (parasite) [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/237180): 10d6t5 3
And the matrix search:
Computer Search (Styles and Long Shadow) [Computer -1 + Logic 3] (http://orokos.com/roll/237183): 2#2d6t5 1 1


I'm hoping I get extra dice for the matrix search but even if not, those are some lucky rolls - no glitches and one hit on two dice, twice!


I'll update the IC, but basically I tell Dolphin to keep looking. I'm not really sure how the Search power would work here. Either me or the spirit needs to have seen the target, so I'm kind of counting on the spirit getting an image of Gloria from an image of herm either at her residence or from my memory looking at either her contact photo on my phone or the reports of her disappearance or some other online info Doc dug up when he was looking into her. I'm sure there are penalties applied for not having seen her in person. I'll try  a memory test to see if I can maybe remember an image of her that is usable to assist Dolphin:
Memory Test (Gloria) [Log 3 + Wil 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/237185): 9d6t5 4


Not a bad roll.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:59:30/12-08-14)
Is Ohanzee looking specifically at himself or at any of the others?

Nice job not glitching.

You have a mental image of Gloria to provide Dolphin to use in the Search.

I'll post ICly for the results within the next couple hours.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:25:22/12-08-14)
He's looking at his body and his astral form to see if it is in one, the other, or both (or neither if he doesn't get enough hits I suppose).


Though it might be a good idea to see how it looks different in an unconscious person as opposed to a conscious one, so if I need another roll to do that as well let me know and I'll do another IC, but I'd like to look at Chino (since Katsina is still awake and this will give him a comparison between awake and not awake parasite activity).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:17:05/12-08-14)
@Malevolence I'm not sure if it's been mentioned ICly, but Doc has the largest presence and seems to be very agitated/concerned about it.  Again, dunno how much of that made it to IC, but looking at him would probably be easiest.  And if you don't do it on your own, when he wakes up, he's going to ask all of the awakened to search him because he's got his panties in a bunch about this.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:03:32/12-08-14)
The difference in concentrations has not been made public knowledge yet ICly.

Malevolence, unless there's something specific you want to do before the others awake we can fast-forward so that we can get everyone involved.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:24:53/12-08-14)
I am fine with that. I think I've done all I can do without the skills of other members. I'll probably spend most of the time in Astral. I do want to spend a half hour or so digging through my commlink to make sure I didn't miss anything, but mostly I'm on guard duty and getting the lay of the "land".
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:59:42/12-08-14)
Parasites?  W?T?F?   :o
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:09:24/12-08-14)
It's what I'm imagining the "presence" as. It has not been definitively identified yet.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (23:44:20/12-08-14)
I've been away most of the day, feel free to zoom forward a bit. I've got a dream post coming up, but that can always be a sort of flashback or something post.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (23:59:06/12-08-14)
It's what I'm imagining the "presence" as. It has not been definitively identified yet.

Fraggin' gross, dude/tte. I think things are going to get real interesting in the morning.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:46:09/12-09-14)
Looking around the kitchen, Ohanzee remembers that he has Artisan 2.

Separately, Ohanzee has Computer 1 for future Matrix Searching. Mal, you can roll your 2 additional dice and add them to your previous searches, if you wish.

The IC time is now around noon. Everyone but Ohanzee and Katsina has had 8-9 hours of sleep and feels much better for it. Ohanzee and Katsina have only managed 4-5 hours each but have coffee and a shower, respectively, to help make up for it.

I presume there will be a gathering in the kitchen for brunch. Katsina will try her hand at cooking again: 0 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4735688/). Katsina can't remember (or never knew) how to fry an egg and gives up after burning several in the pan. She throws her hands up and lets someone else program the autocooker. But the scones are still good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:24:43/12-09-14)
The extra dice for the computer skill checks:
Computer Search (Styles and Long Shadow extra dice) [Computer 1 + Logic 3] (http://orokos.com/roll/237299): 2#2d6t5 1 1


Wow, the 50% success rate continues. That's two hits for each test.


And, just to try out my new skill:
Cooking brunch w/ coffee [Artisan 2 + Intuition 4] (http://orokos.com/roll/237301): 6d6t5 5
Oh. My. God.


I'll be in Vegas for the next few days, learning that I used up all my luck on these rolls.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:46:50/12-09-14)
Would you like to Edge your Artisan roll?

Cooking-wise, Ohanzee has achieved a critical success. Mal, you can pose pretty much whatever you want to. Ohanzee produces a breakfast fit for CEOs, presidents, and women that he seduced the night before.

I will edit my previous IC (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg337036#msg337036) post to include the additional information for your Matrix Searching. Also I just realized I wrote "Long Shadow" twice previously instead of Long Shadow once and then Styles for the second contact.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:55:15/12-09-14)
I did my IC. I suspect that Ohanzee will lead the conversation after brunch, but I'm heading to bed so it will have to wait for tomorrow.  If someone else wants to start the conversation, I'm good with that - it's going to be almost 12 hours before I have the opportunity to do my next IC.


ETA: Just to be clear, only Gloria appears to be missing at this point? There are no reports of strange activity or potential violence recently involving the other two contacts?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (04:11:56/12-09-14)
Some notes:

Ohanzee has Performance 0. Not a tiny dancer.

Per my IC post, the weather is very cloudy and grey. No sunshine. This may or may not be terribly important, especially in a combat situation that may or may not occur and may or may not involve feral wendigo. Do note the weather conditions when they are mentioned, as they may affect your decision making.

Yes:
The snow stops around 10:00. The clouds are thick and the weather remains overcast, but any excursions now will leave tracks in the fresh snow.

No:
Quote from: Malevolence
With the sun streaming through the cabin windows

Everyone roll Perception when you get the chance, whichever sense is best for your character. Wireless bonuses apply. Please continue to post ICly until I mention otherwise.

Katsina: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4735803/). Still cross about the eggs, apparently.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (11:12:40/12-09-14)
Perception (4) + Intuition (3) (http://orokos.com/roll/237338): 7d6t5 1 [4, 4, 2, 2, 3, 2, 5]

I guess Chino is still a bit sleepy.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (11:22:28/12-09-14)
perception check (http://orokos.com/roll/237341): 5d6t5 0
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (11:36:49/12-09-14)
Perception check, morning (http://orokos.com/roll/237342): 10d6t5 3
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (12:48:49/12-09-14)
pecerption Int(4) + qualia(1) + perception(3) = 8 (http://orokos.com/roll/237350): 8d6t5 3

On the train, will get my breakfast post up when I get to the office.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:58:03/12-09-14)
Ohanzee has Performance 0. Not a tiny dancer.
My dreams are crushed. Crushed, I tell you!


Yes:
The snow stops around 10:00. The clouds are thick and the weather remains overcast, but any excursions now will leave tracks in the fresh snow.

No:
Quote from: Malevolence
With the sun streaming through the cabin windows
So it is still pitch black outside? The sky didn't lighten at all with the sunrise? Would "cloud diffused sunlight streaming through the cabin windows" work, or should I have the neighbor's lights and activity bring the team to consciousness? I'll edit the IC when I have enough info.


Everyone roll Perception when you get the chance, whichever sense is best for your character. Wireless bonuses apply. Please continue to post ICly until I mention otherwise.
Perception [Perception 3 + Intuition 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/237354): 6d6t5 1
Looks like my run of luck has reset.
Also an assensing check for the entire team as they are gathered together, looking for the presence Chino spotted.
Assensing Teammates [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/237355): 10d6t5 3
I'm going to guess that I still don't see it.


Also, I've been forgetting my wound modifier for a bit, so there is one less success on the following tests:
Cooking (sorry - only a four star meal instead of a five star)
The first or both matrix searches depending on whether you pull the extra die from the original roll or the second roll adding the extra die from my skill
Memory test


All of them were pretty solid successes, so it shouldn't make any difference in the long run, but FYI in case it does.


ETA: I'll take any other info from the hits even if I don't spot our hitchhiker, such as cyberware (alphaware or lower), maladies, astral signatures, general health, emotional state, etc. It occurs to me that Ohanzee has never assensed his teammates (trusting fool!), and considering the situation, it's time to remedy that shortsightedness.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:47:20/12-09-14)
My dreams are crushed. Crushed, I tell you!

This is what karma is for.

So it is still pitch black outside? The sky didn't lighten at all with the sunrise? Would "cloud diffused sunlight streaming through the cabin windows" work, or should I have the neighbor's lights and activity bring the team to consciousness? I'll edit the IC when I have enough info.

It is light outside to the degree that it is day and not night, but the clouds are thick and grey. Aspen is in a deep valley. The surrounding mountains cast long shadows and the sun (behind the clouds) is fairly low in the sky and pretty far south due to the time of year.

This is actually good news when it comes to glare, since sunlight bouncing off snow (and there is a lot of snow) is brutal. There are no light/glare penalties at the moment. Current breezes are light (5kph) so there are no wind modifiers either. The weather report forecasts higher winds tonight. The snow has stopped so visibility is now Clear.

Everyone roll Perception when you get the chance, whichever sense is best for your character. Wireless bonuses apply. Please continue to post ICly until I mention otherwise.

Nobody perceives anything out of the ordinary. Breakfast continues as usual.

Also an assensing check for the entire team as they are gathered together, looking for the presence Chino spotted.
Assensing Teammates [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/237355): 10d6t5 3
I'm going to guess that I still don't see it.

Ohanzee doesn't pick up on the unusual presence that Chino spotted. Separately, you do think that Katsina might be sick with a virus. A cold or influenza would be the most likely candidates, which would not be surprising given the circumstances (running around outside in freezing weather, followed by a short night of sleep, and a generally stressful situation). This could also explain her lack of appetite.

Thanks for being honest about the wound modifiers. Brunch will indeed only be four stars instead of five. We'll leave the results of the matrix searches as they are.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:29:19/12-09-14)
IC up. It's wordy and hopefully I haven't missed anything. I haven't had more than ten minutes at a time to type, so it is a little train-of-thought.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:06:26/12-09-14)
Now that's we've got a full day, I think it's a good idea for Doc and or the Agent to run that Matrix Search on the artifact.

@Tecmuseh: If I'm just doing low-key things like the deck repair, matrix search and basic medicine checks on folks, will that count as a day of rest today?

@Team: Lemme know if you guys are resting and need/want me to add my Medicine rolls as a teamwork test on your wounds.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:22:52/12-09-14)
Yeah, I'm not sure what counts as light activity. Spirit summoning and casting if I don't take any damage? If I only take stun damage?


If I can rest while still being productive, I'll take Doc up on his offer. I don't plan on leaving the house, but I may not have a choice. Tecumseh is filling me with foreboding.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:52:33/12-09-14)
I would say as long as you don't physically exert yourself then the day will count as rest when it comes to healing Physical damage. Mental exertion is fine. Chilling around the house, doing deck repair, matrix searches, and medicine checks are all fine. Stun drain from casting/summoning is okay, although it will slow down your healing a bit since you have to heal the Stun before you can heal the Physical.

I believe Doc and Ohanzee are the only ones with Physical damage to heal. Sam had Stun damage from when he took a rifle butt to the head, but he slept that off.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:59:58/12-09-14)
Oh, sorry... I'll update my IC post then to not be staring down Sam like a doctor would :P  I thought he took physical damage in that fight and has just been using damage compensators ;)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (21:45:18/12-09-14)
OK, can we talk about nanites a little bit here?

I bought the 1st ed book back in the day, then the 5th ed book just recently, so i dont know anything about nanites. I understand they were something from 4th ed that didn't make the jump over.

What basic things would Sam know about nanites, just so i dont waste a lot of IC time here?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:49:02/12-09-14)
CFD. From Splintered State I believe. Sadly, I don't have that book.


Aside from those, nanotech is mainstream to the point that it isn't specifically mentioned. You get some cyberware installed? Chances are nanites were part of the surgery.


At least that's my take on it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (21:49:45/12-09-14)
CFD. From Splintered State I believe. Sadly, I don't have that book.


Aside from those, nanotech is mainstream to the point that it isn't specifically mentioned. You get some cyberware installed? Chances are nanites were part of the surgery.


At least that's my take on it.

but there's a few mentions in the 5th ed book about something having gone horribly wrong no one using nanites anymore.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:17:06/12-10-14)
It should be noted that all of the below is working from memory, as I am away from my books.

Away from my books at the moment, but I believe the "problem" with nanites started with the Sybil/CFD Virus. Basically, AI's and E-ghosts have figured out some way to copy themselves into a biological body; nanites tend to be their most effective carriers. It should be noted that nanites are not required to have CFD, but they help facilitate the infection and control process.

Usually, the process of CFD taking over a host completely erases their personality and will. Sometimes, a person will resist, in which case you get headcases. Headcases are usually not the picture of sanity, as they go between multiple personalities (their own, and whatever he CFD virus fragments into; I think I remember an NPC who once had 5 personalities); although FastJack actually could be considered a headcase, as he is stuck with the AI S.E.A.R.C.H. (Forget what the acronym is for, but I believe it used to be a military combat program) in his head.

CFD is not limited to biological forms. Since it uses nanites as its carriers, it can infect anything that uses nanites to construct and maintain. I know the AK-147 line, which was entirely nanofaxed, has become obsolete, and I'm sure other things have happened as well. I don't think it's been a world-wide problem, because almost everything uses nanomanufacturing (from clothes, to guns, to cyberware, to a bajillion other things, they all use nanites) in 2075. That's the easiest way to mass-produce and make a profit on stuff. Still, it could be a problem.



Anyway, been on a plane all day, I'll check back in on the IC and probably make a post; sorry for my inactivity most of the day.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:52:29/12-10-14)
It should be noted that all of the below is working from memory, as I am away from my books.

Away from my books at the moment, but I believe the "problem" with nanites started with the Sybil/CFD Virus. Basically, AI's and E-ghosts have figured out some way to copy themselves into a biological body; nanites tend to be their most effective carriers. It should be noted that nanites are not required to have CFD, but they help facilitate the infection and control process.

Usually, the process of CFD taking over a host completely erases their personality and will. Sometimes, a person will resist, in which case you get headcases. Headcases are usually not the picture of sanity, as they go between multiple personalities (their own, and whatever he CFD virus fragments into; I think I remember an NPC who once had 5 personalities); although FastJack actually could be considered a headcase, as he is stuck with the AI S.E.A.R.C.H. (Forget what the acronym is for, but I believe it used to be a military combat program) in his head.

CFD is not limited to biological forms. Since it uses nanites as its carriers, it can infect anything that uses nanites to construct and maintain. I know the AK-147 line, which was entirely nanofaxed, has become obsolete, and I'm sure other things have happened as well. I don't think it's been a world-wide problem, because almost everything uses nanomanufacturing (from clothes, to guns, to cyberware, to a bajillion other things, they all use nanites) in 2075. That's the easiest way to mass-produce and make a profit on stuff. Still, it could be a problem.



Anyway, been on a plane all day, I'll check back in on the IC and probably make a post; sorry for my inactivity most of the day.

Holy crap!!!

Do you think that could be it? Could we all be headcases?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:10:21/12-10-14)
Well, I've had my suspicions about it. The warning flags went off when the PM described it as a "non-biological viral entity". So, it's definitely possible, although I will admit I've never heard of a headcase PC. Then again, I only know what I've gotten through PMs, I don't know how everyone else is being affected.

So, yeah, it's definitely been the number one possibility that I've had for a while, but I don't know enough information to know if it's something I haven't encountered yet.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:16:23/12-10-14)
The 5th Edition sourcebook mentions nanites exactly once, according to the Find function on my PDF. ("Marking methods include ultraviolet dye, RFID tags, DNA-encoded material, or even nanite tags." p. 362)

Nano is used as a prefix a handful of times, but there is only (very oblique) reference to something going wrong. ("When all of the nano-fabricated AK–174s melted to slag, the AK-97s kept functioning just fine." p. 428)

To answer Poindexter's original question, everyone would know that nanites are very much part of the world, especially for manufacturing and cyber. Your modern shadowrunner (i.e. one with augmentations, i.e not Katsina) would probably know that nanites are used to continually maintain the bridges of the body’s own neural system to cybernetics, making them far less invasive than they would otherwise be. For example, nanites control the microscopic circuits that form the retinal displays of cybereyes.

At this point in the canon timeline, the PCs would not know anything more than a very vague, "There are rumors in the shadows that something is wrong with some nanites somewhere in the world but I'm not sure what and I'm not sure where." How alarmed the PCs would be about such unspecific rumors is up to you to RP as you see fit. Additional research is possible but would be time consuming. (12+ hour intervals on Matrix Searching.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:28:43/12-10-14)
I forgot to roll a couple of assensing tests for my IC:
Assensing Ace as he confesses to his previous life:
Assensing Ace [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/237535): 10d6t5 0
Heh, now the dice are swinging the other way.
Assensing Doc as he mentions he is more heavily affected than the rest of the team:
Assensing Doc [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/237536): 10d6t5 4
Better.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:44:27/12-10-14)
Rolls for Katsina's IC:

Assensing the group, looking for the presence: 5 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4736561/)

Consequences of destroying the obelisk: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4736563/)
Edge rerolling misses: 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4736564/), now 5 hits total. Edge is now 2.

Malevolence, what are you specifically looking for when you assense Doc?

For future reference, I am going to apply the "specifically looking" bonus for Perception and Assensing when there's something you're specifically trying to see/notice/investigate. If you're just generally assensing/perceiving - which already implies a degree of effort, otherwise you get the Distracted penalty - then it will just be a straight Intuition+Assensing/Perception roll.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (11:48:57/12-10-14)
An inorganic presence in his body. Aside from the cyber we already know about.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:07:01/12-10-14)
No luck. Do you want to Edge?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (12:58:20/12-10-14)
No luck. Do you want to Edge?
I should. Ohanzee is pretty freaked out. I'll do in about 45 minutes when I have access to a proper computer.


ETA my crappy Edge reroll:
Edge Reroll for Assensing Doc (http://orokos.com/roll/237597): 6d6t5 1
So, 5 hits total. And I now have one Edge left.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:54:57/12-11-14)
Quiet day today. I presume people are waiting for Ohanzee to summarize the situation and lead the way forward.

Mal, Ohanzee now sees what Chino (and Katsina) saw on the astral.

For the record, I am just now seeing the Edge reroll. If you edit a post the forum doesn't alert me, so if you want to post something new it is often better to make a new post rather than edit a previous post.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:43:22/12-11-14)
Well, I've been in a conference all day, so that's why I've been somewhat radio silent.

I don't think Chino has much to respond to, at the moment, so I haven't posted anything yet tonight.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:00:58/12-11-14)
Sorry, been dealing with getting various vehicles to various repair shops and insurance (car for maintenance, and somone knocked over my motorcycle Monday night so that's been a PITA).  And trying to get work done as well.  That said, I'm kind of waiting for Mal and PD to respond.  All Doc would like to do research/repair/heal.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:05:54/12-11-14)
I'll get a quick IC posted, nothing fancy. I'll only be able to post at night again tomorrow, so if stuff picks up and you need to move it along a bit without me, then Chino would likely try to work with Doc to look for suitable vehicles to carjack.

Also, I assume the pot of coffee is gone; how many beers are left in this place? I know it was kind of a bachelor's heaven, but we have got to be running low.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:28:30/12-11-14)
IC up and old IC edited to reflect that Ohanzee finally sees the problem.


I'm not familiar (as a player, though I assume that Ohanzee is) with politics, etc, around the Denver area. So I don't know what options are good for getting out of Dodge.


Also, we discussed disguising Ace as a corper so that he could move freely around town without arousing suspicion, but we never really indicated what he would do while moving around town. All I can think of is supplies, though I might need to edit the IC to have Ace and Katsina take Chino instead so that they can scope out a car to steal. Let me know what makes the most sense, maybe in IC if it makes more sense that way.


I never got an IC vote from Sam, but it seems safe that he's voting "boom", so hopefully he's okay with waiting until evening for a second vote before doing that. That was also a good reason to send hi away from the artifact with Ace and Kat, just to reduce the temptation to jump the gun.


Lastly, though I haven't mentioned it in IC yet, since seeing the infection, and it's lower concentration in Ace and Kat, Ohanzee is strongly suspecting that the infection predates the acquisition of the artifact and might have even been part of the impetus for taking it. Would it be possible to do a memory test to try to remember APB's aura to see if she was affected by it and how much? Would assensing her corpse provide any such information?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (10:39:09/12-11-14)
When it's time to roll out, I vote we steal that sweet RV next door and use that. Will definite fit all of us and the artifact if we don't blow it up. A little conspicuous but who'd think to look for a bunch of shadow runners in an RV?

I'll get some matrix search/ repair/ medicine rolls up shortly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (11:08:28/12-11-14)
When it's time to roll out, I vote we steal that sweet RV next door and use that. Will definite fit all of us and the artifact if we don't blow it up. A little conspicuous but who'd think to look for a bunch of shadow runners in an RV?

I'll get some matrix search/ repair/ medicine rolls up shortly.

Ace will be recommending just that thing.  What to do with the old blue hairs though???
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:09:44/12-11-14)
@8-bit
The house is reasonably well-stocked with provisions. Presumably the owner keeps the freezer and pantry full in case the house gets snowed-in by a storm. There are plenty of frozen foods and dry goods, although the refrigerator itself is relatively empty. (Ohanzee used the eggs for brunch. The rest of the fridge is pretty barren except for non-perishables like condiments and jam, probably because the owner knew he was going to be gone for two weeks.)

There is plenty of beer. It's kind of watery by ork and troll standards, but anyone who's been infected will find the beer especially appealing. There's also wine that the group hasn't gotten into yet.

The pot of coffee is gone but there's lots more to make a second pot. It's delicious and incredibly expensive. Evidently it's good to be rich.

@Malevolence
The idea was that Ace and Katsina (and entourage) could go into town to continue the investigation (Ace's mission, Gloria Winters, etc.) and to get anything the team needs. Going into town is by no means necessary if the group decides to go a different direction. Complications include a lack of transportation into town and the fact that you'll need to broadcast SINs. Walking is possible (about a mile) but hardly befitting a corper. Of course, you don't have to pose as corper.

As for APB's aura, the presence is so subtle that it is supremely difficult to see it in people sitting directly in front of you. Trying to remember if APB's aura was infected won't be possible. Assensing her corpse might work, provided the presence was not destroyed by: 1) APB's death, 2) APB's immolation, or 3) being outside for ten hours in sub-zero temperatures.

Catching up on the new IC posts now.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:12:40/12-11-14)
With the 5-10 min Doc would have spent in the kitchen, I'm assuming unless the drek really hits the oscilating air mover I'll get a total of 30 min to spend on Ohanzee.
Medical Roll for Ohanzee Logic(9) + Medicine(6) - Wounds(1) = 14 (http://orokos.com/roll/237779): 14d6t5 5 (limit 10)

That gives you 5 more dice to use to heal unless you over exert yourself.  That'll give you 11 dice, you should be able to fully heal today.

I'll hold off on repairing my deck and looking to myself until after we've decided who's going where for the day.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:39:15/12-11-14)
Okay Mal, now you've gotten me confused.  I've a pretty aggressive IC post written that I'm gonna hold of on commiting to until we've worked things out here.

Timeline regarding Doc's conversation:
1) Ohanzee asks for input
2) Doc puts out a suggestion
3) Folks agree to that
4) Ohanzee directs Doc to go out and look for cars
5) Doc says that's kinda counter-productive for him (in a dickish way)
6) Ohanzee says Doc is being an ass for suggesting that he not go look for cars
7) Ohanzee says cars aren't a priorty, and lists getting info second only to staying alive.

Do I have that right?  I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes fall into the RIH crowd, but I went over the posts several times.  If that's the way things went, Doc will still go along, but BOY is he going to be pissed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (19:40:53/12-11-14)
im a little confused as to whats going down with that whole bit as well.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:22:13/12-11-14)

Timeline:
1) Ohanzee asks for input - check
2) Doc puts out a suggestion:
"... I want to find out more information about the artifact ..." - We all agree
"... It'll probably take me the better part of a day to find solid information about it ..." - unless you meant that you had to start immediately and not take any breaks, this doesn't conflict with Doc doing other stuff today
"I need a little bit of time to repair my deck ..." - Have you taken a peek into the Matrix to cover our six since you woke up?
"I could really use a day or two, or three." - I'd like to give that to you, but despite pop culture wisdom to the contrary, resting is somewhat less effective when you are dead.
3) Folks agree - yes, though with potential caveats about staying put for more than a day
4) Ohanzee directs Doc to go out and look for cars - point of clarification - he said "find", not "go out and look". For the first car, you will be hacking it and commanding the pilot to drive to a location in the next town, no physical presence needed. For the second, you will be hacking it to allow Chino to drive it. You don't need to leave the house for either task.
5) Doc says that's kind of counter-productive for him (in a dickish way) - it sounded to me that he was disagreeing with Ohanzee's priorities because he was placing getting a ride above searching for info, which he was.
6) Ohanzee says that Doc is being an ass for suggesting that he not go look for cars - Ohanzee was clarifying why he prioritized getting cars above researching the artifact. He wasn't implying Doc was an ass, he was just stating that there was indeed an element Doc was missing - that he was being dense:
Doc says "So you'd rather NOT get more information on the artifact, and just wait until tonight and have this discussion again?" (Emphasis added)
After Ohanzee had said "I suggest that we take another vote this evening after we've learned more." (Emphasis added)
7) Ohanzee says cars aren't a priority, and lists getting info second only to staying alive - Ohanzee specifically states that getting a car is in support of staying alive:
"This is what the first part of today is working towards - getting a vehicle improves our odds of staying ahead of our pursuers. Misdirection is also a critical part of that plan." (Emphasis added)


Does that help clarify things?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:39:12/12-11-14)
I don't know what RIH stands for.

Conversations like this are a challenge. Six people responding to the ideas of five other people while trying to adjust their input to what the previous four people said, and so on. Makes my head swim too. I must have spent half an hour writing my last IC post trying to make sure I covered everything. I'm not entirely sure I'm following the OOC clarifications either.

If we come to a clear consensus, fantastic. However, I am mindful of getting overly bogged down in the planning, which is a hallowed Shadowrun tradition dating back to 1st Edition but can be the deathblow of a PbP. If there is confusion about IC tone/statements I would encourage people to give each other the benefit of the doubt OOCly. Rest assured I will not brutally murder you if your plan is not 100% perfect because the details were getting too cumbersome. (Softly murdering you is still a possibility.)

Several people have asked about PvP. Normally I am not a fan but this is not a traditional game. Spying, eavesdropping, and other "trust but verify" measures are all on the table. PvP fighting is certainly not encouraged but will be honored if it is realistic for the situation. We're telling a story together, which is supposed to be interesting and dramatic, but we're also playing a game so I'll do my best to keep it fun for everyone involved.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:42:49/12-11-14)
I see the problem. Ohanzee misunderstood 'better part of a day'. Doc is gonna need 12-18 hours for his research.
That was stated the night before. When he said better part of a day he really meant it.

That made it look like Ohanzee wanted him in two places at once. Also, he can't rest to heal if he's out skulking around for a car, which peeves him off a bit.

Also, we have more then a day here most likely. Unless we screw up.

As for overwatch, the agent is actively doing that.


Note: typing on an iPhone on a train in the storm is a PITA.

Re: Tec RIH stands for reading is hard. I was implying that I may have had reading comprehension problems.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:50:35/12-11-14)
As for pvp I'd prefer to stay away from it.  Wasn't thrilled about hacking chino, but it was in char to do so.  Really don't want to skeeve on people's fun which was a big part of me asking here before replying IC, also want to point out that the result would have been doc complying, not fighting.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:09:22/12-11-14)
I see the problem. Ohanzee misunderstood 'better part of a day'. Doc is gonna need 12-18 hours for his research.


Concerning the 12-18 hours, I'm pretty sure that does not need to be consecutive. It can be put on hold to handle interruptions and emergencies as they crop up. Doc can start his research, and when any member of the away team finds a potential candidate for a car or diagnosis room he can stop researching, handle that, then return to the search. He might need to take a more active role in the hunt for a car, but all in all I'm hoping that finding the two vehicles we need won't take more than a couple hours, leaving most of the day available for the various research Doc needs to do.



Also, we have more then a day here most likely. Unless we screw up.

Ohanzee is not saying we can't stay for more than a day, he just wants to be prepared in case that is suddenly no longer an option.


That made it look like Ohanzee wanted him in two places at once. Also, he can't rest to heal if he's out skulking around for a car, which peeves him off a bit.

And, again, you don't have to leave the house to do any of this.


"But Doc and I don't really have a role in that scenario. I think we could work well from the cabin anyway, so there may be little need for us to travel."

As for overwatch, the agent is actively doing that.

Ah, good.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:21:28/12-11-14)
Yeah, misunderstanding plus different interpretations of the rules = rough communication 😝

So, my understanding is its 10ish in the morning. Doc has about 30 min of repairs on his deck and needs to spend 30 min with you and 30 min on himself. If he's lucky, he only need 12 hours to get the info we are looking for on just the artifact. We start doing more research like on contacts and such and that'll push that further. As it is, we are looking at around midnight before he's going to have data. With no interruptions.

As for the car, he'd have to leave the house. He can't boost a car that's not running. And with distance comes noise and grid differences, etc etc. he'd really need either to carjack someone or be onsite. To be effective. That said, we can totally take ownership of a car once we get it. Which is a great idea!  He just can't do both things at the same time. Additionally, I didn't make the connection for priorities of car== staying alive. I'm a bit fuzzy on that particular correlation.

Anyway. We'll go with having doc go get a car. I don't want to step on toes or cause any more rifts. He can heal later, and run the search another day. Though I don't thing dam is going to like delaying blowing it up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (22:53:25/12-11-14)
The decoy car should probably be taken from nearby, and so should not incur much noise penalty, and with the weather improved, there should be very little noise apart from distance. Running or not, a car should be on the matrix, so that should not be a barrier. Also, Chino will be your hands and feet if you need any anything shy of a direct connection. So far, no one has locksmith, so the B&E has to be through Hacking or Cybercombat. The DR of a car is such that there is no significant need for a DC and you can hit all of Aspen with less than a -3 to your DP due to distance. If the car is in a garage, you might experience another -1. Most vehicles are pilot rating 1-3 which should make them DR 1-3, or 2-3 if you use the table on pg 234. So, outside of a PAN, the highest dice pool you will face is 6, protected by a PAN you will add the DR of (max) 3 to a commlink of (max) 7 for 10 dice. Your DP of 15 - (max) 4 vs. (max) 10 still provides decent odds of success. You can choose softer targets, go hotsim, use edge, and/or use programs/agent teamwork to add more to your DP to improve your odds. You can grid hop in order to negate that penalty - in Aspen, it is unlikely that any vehicles will be on the public grid since anyone that can afford to come here can afford a lifestyle that provides them better Matrix access.


If they find us again and we don't have a car, our only option is to stay and fight. And if we survive, fight the next hit squad because we can't move fast enough to evade them on foot. So I think a vehicle is critical, unless I've overlooked something important.


I'm relatively new to the game, so I might be missing some important rule(s) that make stealing a car remotely more difficult than I've outlined, so I will have to defer to your expertise. My understanding of car theft isn't so much stealing it, as it is not getting caught once the owner notices it has gone missing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (23:09:24/12-11-14)
I'm fairly new also, but as far as I know, powered off devices are not on the Matrix.  Am I wrong about this?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:09:45/12-11-14)
I'm fairly new also, but as far as I know, powered off devices are not on the Matrix.  Am I wrong about this?

i think you are right.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (23:20:47/12-11-14)
You can grid hop in order to negate that penalty - in Aspen, it is unlikely that any vehicles will be on the public grid since anyone that can afford to come here can afford a lifestyle that provides them better Matrix access.

IIRC the public grid here is spectacular, and PCC subsidized, so unless I'm mis-remembering most of the townies are going to be running off it.

I'm fairly new also, but as far as I know, powered off devices are not on the Matrix.  Am I wrong about this?

i think you are right.

My understanding as well.

@Mal, Ace has Locksmith 4.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (23:42:31/12-11-14)
The public grid sucks no matter where you are. The LOCAL grid in Aspen is spectacular.


Devices are always on.


Pg 236: This is rarely an issue for most devices because they almost never need to reboot.


You can reboot a device and set a very long delay before it powers back on, but devices are assumed to be on unless the owner specifically turns them off in this fashion, which they are unlikely to do (it's better to just turn wireless off and leave the device itself on if you are concerned about security). So, yes, "powered off" devices are not on the Matrix, but most devices are never "powered off", even when not in use.


Sorry, I misspoke about the locksmith part - neither Doc nor Chino have locksmith (that we know of), so the argument to have Doc there to assist in breaking in is moot. But, since Ace's locksmith is so high, it might be worthwhile to work him into the plan, but I still think the best bet is just doing it from cyberspace.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (23:55:43/12-11-14)
I think at this point it's best if Tecumseh lets us know how this works as us debating it is rather moot.  If I can steal a car that isn't running while sitting in the house resting and doing a search while the agent runs matrix overwatch in both places, I'm all over it!  Lets do it :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:50:08/12-12-14)
Glad to see that everything is moving.



As a note on Chino's abilities: He can get us a car ... noisily. I mean, he wrecks things like buildings, but he's not exactly a lockpick (as far as I know; seems unlikely) kind of guy. He probably needs Ace if we want to remain unnoticed. The reason I (or rather, Chino) was thinking Doc could help was simply to loop security feeds again so that it was easier to stealth. If that isn't possible with all the other stuff Doc has to do, then it's probably null sweat. I'm sure there are other things Chino can help with.



Regarding PvP; I would prefer to avoid it. Our little jaunt into it was fairly friendly and fun, but usually it does not end well.



As for powered off things not being in the Matrix ... yes and no. It depends on what you mean by "powered off".

If you mean no electricity at all? Yeah, sure, it's not on the Matrix. However, most devices are never completely off, and cars are a special exception. A lot of cars start wirelessly through your commlink; that implies that they are on the Matrix. This is done for convenience, and quite honestly, it's a part of security. Activating it wirelessly means that any bombs meant to kill a passenger (while limiting collateral damage) means that it goes to waste (and saves your life). And, especially considering that it can be slaved to a host (which rich people have; quite high rating ones in Aspen, IIRC), then it's pretty secure against most hackers. I think you would have to break into the car to physically access it with a universal data port (in order to bypass host ratings). At that point, hacking is probably a moot point, although if there is no physical key startup, then it may be necessary.

That's my understanding of it. Might be wrong, especially since this is not a normal situation.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:01:32/12-12-14)
First repairing my deck:
Repairing deck Logic(9) + Hardware(4) = 13 (http://orokos.com/roll/237928): 13d6t5 3
Well, that was a crappy roll, was hoping to be able to speed it up, but at least after an hour it's fixed.

Going to do a bunch of searches looking for cars.  I don't think specifically looking applies to matrix searches, so I didn't include it.

Assuming I've access to the local grid as that's been more or less what's been happening so far:
5 Matrix Perceptions (looking for cars within 10k) Computers(5)+Intution(4)+Qualia(1)+VR(2)+DataJack(1)+SignalScrub(2)-Wounds(1)-Noise(3)=11 (http://orokos.com/roll/237927): 5#11d6t5 5 2 4 6 5

That should only take a few seconds, so think I'll have found a few options for Chino/Ace/Ohanzee to choose from.

Lastly, I should have asked this forever ago.  What Grid(s) do I have access to?  That'll show at least some degree of what kind of lifestyle Doc used to have.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:48:15/12-12-14)
GM interpretations / rulings. These may not be true of everything everywhere (i.e. the Barrens would be different) but these describe the reality of a rich town like Aspen:

Stealing vehicles
- Cars always have their wireless on.
- Cars at home (e.g. in a garage) are slaved to the host of the home.
- Cars not at home (e.g. in use, parked in front of a store) are slaved to the owner's/driver's commlink.
- Cars can be hacked from the comfort of your own home, but because they are slaved it's not a Device Rating 2 slam dunk.
- Cars may be stolen manually via Locksmith. However, cars driven manually can be overridden by rigger control or remote control (per p. 265) so you could lose control of the vehicle while you're driving it manually if the owner figures out what is going on.
- Cars have maglocks on the doors. These maglocks may be accessed by direct connection, which would allow a decker to hack a car in-person.

Matrix Search
- Conducting a Matrix Search for such an obscure topic as the obelisk may take up to 12 hours - could be less depending on hits - but it does not have to be continuous. The search can be stopped and resumed as it is convenient.
- However, a matrix search will only come up with information that is publicly available and not protected or kept secret.
- Information that is not publicly available may be available on a specific host, but you would have to identify and enter that host before you searched it (interval = 1 minute).
- Stealing cars would require putting the matrix search on pause for the duration of the stealing. However, hacking cars is a relatively fast process if you don't get caught.
- The agent could either conduct the search itself or help via teamwork but would have to be pulled off Matrix overwatch to do so.

Other rulings
- The current time (at brunch) is around noon.
- As using the Matrix is a primarily mental activity, it would not necessarily interfere with Doc's healing (as long as he doesn't start soaking biofeedback damage).
- The local grid (AspeNet) is cutting-edge superb, with no Spam or Static Zones (unless you start creating public health emergencies). There is no Noise due to distance within the town.
- Everyone in Aspen has access to the local grid. Because everyone has access to it, the local grid is the "public grid" in Aspen, but without the usual negative modifiers of a public grid. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
- Ryo did not mention Doc having a lifestyle or even a SIN. I will double-check with him, but until then Doc only has access to the local grid, not any global grids.
- Doc's matrix perception detects approximately 19,225 vehicles within 10km.

Did I miss anything?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:59:43/12-12-14)
Rolls for the illusion spell:
Trid Phantasm (exploding coffee pot, force 3) [ Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wound 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/237986): 12d6t5 5 Limit 3
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/237987): 12d6t5 4
No damage taken.


ETA: Drain for Trid Phantasm is Force, so resist is vs. 3 drain.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:19:42/12-12-14)
It might not be too conspicuous to have Ace and Katsina use the jet ski to get around town - this is a vacation spot after all.

Using a jet ski to get around town would be awesome!!! But probably conspicuous.

The snowmobile or the ATV might work better.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:23:15/12-12-14)
Can Doc drive the car back to the garage without using grid guide?  If he can, awesome!  Would have saved a lot of trouble with the Van if he could have done that.

And I just want to be sure that I understand Ohanzee correctly.  Does he want Doc to move a car through the snow into the garage attached to the house we are staying in?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:25:30/12-12-14)
Doc can drive without using grid guide, yes, but he would have to use his (nonexistent) Pilot Groundcraft skill. Given the weather and road conditions, that might require some Edge.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:30:26/12-12-14)
Posted another IC, as I had missed something. Sorry for further screwing up the sense of continuity here
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:34:44/12-12-14)
@Tecumseh - Jet ski blunder fixed. Heh.


@Zweiblumen - Yes, the garage for the house we are in, but that plan I think is scrapped now - we will use the vehicles already in the garage for our (Ace and Kat) around town vehicle. The motorhome can stay where it is until we need it, and the decoy vehicle should head directly to the next nearest town.


But, if we were still going with that plan, using GG would not be a problem if the vehicle won't be reported missing for a while. By the time they decide to look into where it has been, we'll have moved on. And Doc could probably wipe its location history anyway.


Spending some of your karma on Pilot Ground Vehicle might be a good option considering how often it comes up. Unless you are saving it for a specific purchase. I don't want to tell people how to develop their characters, but I hope constructive input is appreciated. If not, just let me know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:38:53/12-12-14)
@Malovolence, noooo! why did you fix it. lame.

Zweiblumen, being a Chapter 2 addition to the game, has not earned any karma yet. So sad. I might consider a loan if he asks for it.

Working on an IC post for Katsina, trying to make sure I cover everything.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:11:10/12-12-14)
Seeing Ohanzee's illusion, and listening to Sam's barbs about her mask, reminds Katsina that she has the Physical Mask spell.

Next steps
It sounds like a plan is coming together. Please give me a broad overview of what you expect your PC to be doing for the next 4-6 hours. Go ahead and do your rolling too if there's something you know your PC is going to do. I am conscious that this might be a RP-lite segment for some characters. In an effort not to leave players stranded for weeks while others go about their business, I may fast-forward certain elements of RP.

For example, Katsina intends to:
1) do some tailoring
2) do some preparations/casting
3) go into town with Ace, on ATV or in town car
4) do some exploring
5) buy some supplies (if requested)

Katsina tailoring: Intuition 6 + Artisan 2: 4 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738847/). Katsina's quite the seamstress.
Heal preparation with Touch trigger @ F5: 5 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738859/)
Increase Strength preparation with Touch trigger @ F4: 4 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738859/)
Soaking 3 Drain twice: 5 hits and 4 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738860/), no drain

Spellcasting Physical Mask @ F5 : 5 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738870/)
Spellcasting Detect Enemies @ F4 : 7 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738870/), limit 4
Soaking 4 Drain twice: 5 hits and 4 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738871/), no drain

Katsina is on a good streak: 43 hits on 110 dice, for 39%. That said, she'll be enjoying -4 from sustaining penalties. Ace better treat her like a ditzy trophy wife because she won't be capable of much more.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:28:58/12-12-14)
So these are the concequences as I see them for stealing a car and bringing it to the garage as I see it.  Please lemme know if any of these interpretations of the way things work are wrong.
1) I burn at least 1 edge in driving it here
2) We leave very large physcial markers that we are here (the snow tracks)
3) We leave a trace in Grid Guide that we are here
4) if I try to hack grid guide and succeed, we are good to go.
4b) if I fail, I'll probably be out of commision and bringing the heat down on me.

Mal, tell me what to roll, and I'll roll it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:58:00/12-12-14)
We probably need street clothes, so let's have Katsima get basic measurements and f we can get a list of who needs clothes we'll pick those up. Med kits are a great idea. Ace and Katsina should also check around for clinics.

Let's do the car service route.

I'm AFB at the moment.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:59:35/12-12-14)
Dolphin has had about 5 hours of searching. Does it have anything to report? I think its about time to bring in White Raven again.


Ohanzee would like to find out where we stole the artifact from, so he'll start by checking the location history on his commlink, unless someone has tried this already. Also, he'll astrally travel to Gloria's house (stealthily) and see the crime scene for himself.


Here's his general plan for the day so far.




1. Check in with Dolphin
2. If Dolphin is making good progress, let him continue
3. If Dolphin doesn't look like he is making progress, send him on his way and summon White Raven before Ace and Kat leave (at force 7 - ouch! - so that it can protect the artifact too?)
4. Check location history on commlink
4b. Find Ballistic Mask and Binocs
4c. Shopping for party
5. Check out Gloria's place from the astral (and body)
6. Maybe discretely check out the physical addresses of other contacts from the astral (and Ohanzee's residence if known)
7. Deep analysis of the artifact
 a. Assense the artifact, looking for the signature of the infection present in the team
 b. Have Sam or Chino ready to react in case Something Bad Happens
 c. Touch the artifact
 d. Cast Mindnet Extended (force 1) with the artifact
 e. Attempt communication with the artifact


ETA: Updating list Green is complete, red is changes
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:05:41/12-12-14)
So these are the concequences as I see them for stealing a car and bringing it to the garage as I see it.  Please lemme know if any of these interpretations of the way things work are wrong.
1) I burn at least 1 edge in driving it here
2) We leave very large physcial markers that we are here (the snow tracks)
3) We leave a trace in Grid Guide that we are here
4) if I try to hack grid guide and succeed, we are good to go.
4b) if I fail, I'll probably be out of commision and bringing the heat down on me.

Mal, tell me what to roll, and I'll roll it.


We're not bringing a car to our garage anymore. Your tasks (if we proceed this way) would be


1. Repair your deck (not sure about matrix overwatch during this period because I think the deck is disabled while being repaired)
2. Snag a random car (that won't be missed for a couple hours so that it can make it to the next town, but that will be missed soonish) and send it in GG autopilot to the next town. We want this car found and soonish so that our pursuers think we stole it to travel to the next town.
3. Research - artifact, infection, our past, in roughly that order (the artifact alone should take the rest of day one at least)
4. Overwatch duties and smaller task as demanded along side the research


We will be using the motorhome when its time to leave, but there is no need to do anything except maybe run a matrix perception on it so that you are prepared to hack it when the time comes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:51:03/12-12-14)
Anyone have any idea how I'd know if a car would be missed or not?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:58:40/12-12-14)
And I've already made the rolls for that, so we'll be without overwatch for 1 hour.  Wasn't able to shorten that.  That said we should be g2g.

Once I'm done with that, I'll put the agent back on keeping an eye on things and start doing the research:
Here's my roll for the artifact:
Matrix Search on Artifact Pushing the limit Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia (1) + VR(2) - Wounds(1) + Edge(7)= 11 (http://orokos.com/roll/238038): 18d6h5 5
And that burned a point of edge and spent 12 hours to miss the threshold.  Fun.

Sorry guys... I blew Doc's usefullness for the day.  Once everyone else gets stuff up for IC, I'll post that he goes to the office and does fun stuff chasing his tail in VR.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:12:09/12-12-14)
Wow, brutal roll. One of those hits was even from an exploding 6.

Rolling for Dolphin's search extended test: 32 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4738956/) (subtracting one die each roll)

Dolphin finds what remains of Gloria Winters. Her body is in the middle of the mountains about 20km northeast of Aspen.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:35:40/12-12-14)

Shopping list
Ballistic Mask $600 (Ultrasound (R1), Camera (R1), Omni-Directional Microphone (R1), Micro-Tranceiver, Radio Signal Scanner (1)) Avail 6
Binoculars, optical $50 Avail 2


Any problems with that before I put it in IC?


@Tec - Okay, I'll add in a trip to inspect the body to Ohanzee's to do list. We came in to Aspen from the NW along the 82, right? From the map, it looks like her body was dumped up near the reservoir. I'll want to try to determine cause of death and time of death. I'm no expert, of course, but hopefully I can make a "recent" or "not recent" call. I'm not performing the action yet, just spitballing in OOC so that everyone is clear when it is time for it to go up in IC (and you can fill me in on what rolls I might need, etc).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (23:46:34/12-12-14)
Yeah, 12 hours and an edge shot. Nice thing is I'll. e going to sleep again soon so I won't miss the edge.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:50:23/12-12-14)
Sam isn't sure what he's needed for during the next 4-6 hours.
He's still wary about hitting up any of his contacts for fear of putting them in danger.
He's well rested.
The house is trapped already.
He's willing to help out with whatever anyone needs from him.
He'll need clothes if he's to look like anything other than a paid killer.
He won't wanna go anywhere in public without SOME form of facial disguise after seeing that video of himself stealing the obelisk.
He'd like to get in touch with the Draco Foundation, the Atlatean Foundation, the Astral Space Preservation Society, or the Dunkelzahn Institute of Magical Research, but doesn't know how.

Hmmmm...

He and his contacts seem to keep things very quick and coded on the comm. Maybe he could send a message to one of them and see if they couldnt arrange a VR meeting or something. On the other hand though, he suspects that his contacts are just weapons suppliers, and so he'd look strange to them if he started asking for things outside their area of expertise.

Hmmmm...

Lil help?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:10:06/12-13-14)
@Mal, you came into Aspen from the southeast driving northwest.

Dolphin is able to convey a certain degree of information via the spirit-summoner link, although this is somewhat constrained by the spirit's understanding of the physical world. Ms. Winters is frozen solid and appears to have been dead for at least a day, not that the spirit really knows. Cause of death was likely a fast drop and a sudden stop. Any astral traces on her aura have long since faded.

Chummer's not doing a good job with the ballistic mask. I will pencil out the math later tonight or tomorrow to confirm the figures.

@Poindexter, at 3:05pm Sam's comm is going to chime with a calendar event: "Write to Mom". You may wish to review the IC messages that you found in Chapter 1 (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17834.msg314666#msg314666).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:03:20/12-13-14)
Thanks for the info. I wasn't expecting the spirit to provide forensic info - Ohanzee was going to astrally project there (and still will) to gather that info. He'll immediately relay to the team that she is dead, but I'll assume that cause and time are not IC knowledge until he checks it out personally.

I used Chummer for the math, adding the camera and mic and transceiver directly and the ultrasound and radio scanner as single sensors. Mostly I want something to hide my face, but since it has capacity I'm adding some extra functionality. Ohanzee will suggest that everyone picks up micro transceivers (and ballistic masks) to provide another secure communication option considering the matrix threat present on the local grid.

I'm going to break the things out across multiple IC posts so that they line up chronologically with what others are doing, I'm just letting everyone know OOC what Ohanzee is planning.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:22:29/12-13-14)
@Mal, I believe I see how you are calculating the price of the mask. However, for reasons which escape me, single sensors are not available at rating 1 per the text on p. 445 and the table on p. 446. As such, the Ultrasound and Radio Signal Scanner are ¥200 instead of ¥100.

The good news is that tech is cheap in Pueblo due to the PCC's position as a leader in the industry. Per Native American Nations, Volume I, the Ultrasound and Micro-Tranceiver are available at a 20% discount. The rest of it (except for the mask itself) is available at a 10% discount. The mask is regular price. Thus the final price is ¥705, Availability 6.

Ohanzee can call around to local outfitter shops to see if he can find it. Per the Availability rules, you need to beat 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4739411/). Delivery time is one day, which represents the time to customize the mask. If you tie the three hits, it will take two days.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:27:40/12-13-14)
I'll drop the Ultrasound. New cost should be ¥705-¥160=¥545


Purchase Ballistic Mask [Negotiate 6 + Charisma 6 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238099): 11d6t5 2
Edge reroll:
Edge Reroll for Ballistic Mask (http://orokos.com/roll/238100): 9d6t5 5
Could have used that the first time around. Bleah.
7 hits - can I use the extra hits to reduce the delivery time?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (04:05:42/12-13-14)
More rolls:
Summon Spirit of Air (Force 7) [Magic 6 + Summoning 6 + Focus 2 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238103): 13d6t5 4
Suitably sucktastic
Spirit of Air Resist [Force 7] (http://orokos.com/roll/238104): 7d6t5 3
Of course the spirit rolls well
Resist Drain (Spirit Hits x 2 = 6) [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238105): 13d6t5 4
Of course I flub the drain resist roll - edging:
Edge Reroll for Drain resist (http://orokos.com/roll/238106): 9d6t5 4
Whew! No drain. And no Edge left. And the day's not even half over yet...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (04:46:52/12-13-14)
Anyone have any idea how I'd know if a car would be missed or not?


If there is a theater or other pasttime where people spend a couple hours away from home and car, pretty much any recently arrived vehicle in the parking lot would be a candidate for our needs. There's lots of ski runs where people would park for a few hours while they ski.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (04:59:00/12-13-14)
You mean just any car in a parking lot then?  Thought you wanted one folks wouldn't miss for a while. I can pick a random one, but without hacking every car I can't think of a good way to tell how long it's been there.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (11:49:48/12-13-14)
@Poindexter, at 3:05pm Sam's comm is going to chime with a calendar event: "Write to Mom". You may wish to review the IC messages that you found in Chapter 1 (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17834.msg314666#msg314666).

What time does this 4-6 hour activity block we're about to do start at?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:52:09/12-13-14)
The current time is around noon.

Ace and Katsina can provide input on a suitable car for Doc to hack when they go into town.

The Concealment power could be counterproductive for Ace and Katsina while they're in town. It's a good way for them to get run over in a crosswalk. ("I'm so sorry, officer! I didn't see them!")

Unfortunately additional hits on an availability test cannot be used to reduce the delivery time.

It sounds like Ace and Katsina are going to take a town car into town. I will wait to hear from 8-bit whether Chino plans to stay at the house or go into town. It sounds flexible.

Poindexter, I'll get to your PM today.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (13:04:05/12-13-14)
Poindexter, I'll get to your PM today.

If there's ONE player who aint gonna stress you bout punctuality, its me. :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:31:06/12-13-14)
The Concealment power could be counterproductive for Ace and Katsina while they're in town. It's a good way for them to get run over in a crosswalk. ("I'm so sorry, officer! I didn't see them!")
If they would request that they not be concealed, Ohanzee can summon a lesser spirit. That would net the spirit one less hit and Ohanzee would not have to Edge reroll the drain resist. Much of the IC conversation would have to be rewritten. Shall I go that route?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:42:33/12-13-14)
Ace and Katsina can provide input on a suitable car for Doc to hack when they go into town.
Again, this is a throw away vehicle. Doc could just as easily hack into the camera feed at the ski lift entrance (or wherever the cars drop their passengers off). Once a suitable car (large enough to feasibly hold 6 metas and a large artifact) drops its passengers off and heads off to park itself, he can grab it the moment it is out of view of the owners, then redirect it to Carbondale using Grid Guide. Once it gets there, take manual control and crash it in the outskirts of town (unobserved - loop more cameras?)  so that it immediately reports the incident to the owner, speeding up the discovery process. A minor impact would be best so that it isn't suspicious that a car-full of metas walked away form the collision.


ETA: Before it heads to Carbondale, it needs to go to a spot in Aspen that doesn't have camera coverage so that it can take on its new virtual passengers. The systems in the car will also have to be fooled into thinking that six appropriate metas and a heavy object were taken on. This does get rather complicated, but I imagine fairly trivial for a decker.


ETA2: On further reflection, not having it detect that it has taken on passengers might be more effective since the investigators would assume that the thieves were covering their tracks. The less evidence there is, the more competent it might appear the perpetrators were, rather than leading the authorities to believe it was never occupied. Probably a balance will need to be struck - if there is NOTHING to indicate it was occupied, it might arouse suspicion. Hence the "entry" and "exit" in secluded areas. But we start to tread into the over-thinking it at this point - I think our intent is clear, so we should let the die roll determine how well we did with the details.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (13:55:13/12-13-14)
ETA2: On further reflection, not having it detect that it has taken on passengers might be more effective since the investigators would assume that the thieves were covering their tracks. The less evidence there is, the more competent it might appear the perpetrators were, rather than leading the authorities to believe it was never occupied. Probably a balance will need to be struck - if there is NOTHING to indicate it was occupied, it might arouse suspicion. Hence the "entry" and "exit" in secluded areas. But we start to tread into the over-thinking it at this point - I think our intent is clear, so we should let the die roll determine how well we did with the details.

It almost sounds like we need an extended con test here or something.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:03:34/12-13-14)
Doc could hack into a camera feed at a ski resort parking lot but this is not trivial. It requires hacking the host to which the camera is slaved and then snooping the feeds. All of this adds opportunities to fail and Overwatch Score. It is certainly an option but it's not a freebie. The final approach is ultimately Zweiblumen's choice.

Katsina would likely request that the concealment not cover her and Ace (and Chino, depending).

However, if you wish to reduce the force of the spirit then we'll need to roll to determine which dice of the Spirit resist roll are dropped. This is to prevent OOC knowledge (and metagaming) of which dice are discarded - hits or misses - especially since we already know that this is important for Ohanzee's drain soak and use of Edge. So if you reduce it to Force 6 then we'll roll 1 die, if you reduced to Force 5 then we'll roll 2 dice, and then subtract those (hits or misses) from the Spirit resist, then calculate the drain with your existing rolls (using the Edge reroll if necessary and discarding it if it unnecessary).

Do note that lowering the Force will also reduce the effectiveness of the Concealment power.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:59:29/12-13-14)
Doc could hack into a camera feed at a ski resort parking lot but this is not trivial. It requires hacking the host to which the camera is slaved and then snooping the feeds. All of this adds opportunities to fail and Overwatch Score. It is certainly an option but it's not a freebie. The final approach is ultimately Zweiblumen's choice.
Good point. There may be other easier to hack cameras that would provide the same information, but it sounds like having Ace and Kat identify a suitable candidate is just simpler all around.


This does give me an idea, if people aren't tired of my suggestions yet, for how to spend some of our nuyen - MCT Fly Spy. An eye in the sky (that can share what it sees with the party, unlike a projecting mage) can be very useful. Hopefully someone has Pilot Aircraft and just doesn't know it yet, otherwise we'll have to work around the dog-brain's limitations.


Katsina would likely request that the concealment not cover her and Ace (and Chino, depending).

However, if you wish to reduce the force of the spirit then we'll need to roll to determine which dice of the Spirit resist roll are dropped. This is to prevent OOC knowledge (and metagaming) of which dice are discarded - hits or misses - especially since we already know that this is important for Ohanzee's drain soak and use of Edge. So if you reduce it to Force 6 then we'll roll 1 die, if you reduced to Force 5 then we'll roll 2 dice, and then subtract those (hits or misses) from the Spirit resist, then calculate the drain with your existing rolls (using the Edge reroll if necessary and discarding it if it unnecessary).

Do note that lowering the Force will also reduce the effectiveness of the Concealment power.
I'm feeling too lazy to rewrite the post, so we'll keep it at Force 7 - it is merely coincidence that my decision makes sense from a metagaming standpoint as well, but I'll take it.
Ace and Katsina could find the concealment useful for their initial departure from the house anyway, and if they order their in-town business (and watch out for cars!) the can take advantage of the concealment even more, then lose it when ready by actively trying to be spotted (fake a loud argument in a crowded place, etc).


Lastly, nuyen. I'm assuming that we don't actually have to hand Ace our credsticks to give him nuyen. We could transfer an amount from them to his. Can we do that remotely (that is, keep the nuyen on our credsticks, and then send whatever he needs in town to him as he needs it)?


Also, when ordering my stuff, do I pay in advance or on pickup? I'm assuming in advance, at least for the mask which required customization work. This impacts how much and when I give Ace nuyen.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (18:32:12/12-13-14)
So, after being away all day because of a plane ride, I come home to no internet. And then a super busy Saturday. Sorry for being slow for everyone.

Will review everything to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Edit: On the credsticks ...

Quote from: Core Rule Book; page 442
Certified credstick: Cash for the late 21st century. A certified credstick is not registered to any specific person— the electronic funds encoded on it belong to the holder, requiring no special ID or authorization to use. The bad news is that you can be physically mugged, any money you have on your credstick jacked and rolled. The good news is that certified credsticks are completely untraceable. They’re not even wireless—you have to slot them into a universal data connector to transfer cash onto or off of them. This makes them enduringly popular with shadowrunners and the Mr. Johnsons who love to hire them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:44:42/12-13-14)
Thanks 8-bit.


What I'm asking rather splits hairs. I have to slot the credstick to get credits on or off, sure, but I can slot them to any Matrix connected UDC (like the one on my commlink) and if I do, can I then transfer those credits over the Matrix to a recipient that is not physically present? I would imagine so, otherwise there would be no online purchasing.


So the question then becomes can only merchants accept online transactions and everyone else has to meet in person to exchange money (like modern day pre-PayPal) or can anybody send money to anyone anywhere (like modern day with PayPal, Google Wallet, Bitcoin, etc)?


ETA - "meet in person" should be "use physical or non instantaneous means like mailed checks and wire transfers"
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (18:46:15/12-13-14)
You know, I never thought of that. That's a good question.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:24:19/12-14-14)
Without getting too deep into the banking and payments systems of the Sixth World - which I have not thoroughly researched - I am going to say that if you slot a certified credstick into your commlink then you can transmit that money wirelessly anywhere you like. You can give Ace nuyen either by letting him load your credstick onto his commlink (for an amount you authorize) or by loading some or all of it onto your commlink before transferring it wirelessly to his commlink.

Ohanzee does not have to pay for the ballistic mask in advance. This is Aspen - where customers expect the benefit of the doubt - plus Ohanzee is charming as hell.

Before she casts her spells, Katsina is going to take a wild shot at an Armorer roll in an attempt to make Ace's tailored clothes less soft: Logic 5 - 1 Defaulting = 3 hits! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4740330/). The hot streak continues. Katsina will be able to cannibalize an out-of-season camouflage suit for a few points of armor to add to the nice clothes she is tailoring for Ace.

Speaking of spells, I neglected to remove two dice as a sustaining penalty from Katsina's second spellcasting yesterday. However, Detect Enemies already had 7 hits and was already limited by being Force 4, so dropping two dice (as hits or misses) does not impact anything. Please feel free to call me out if I screw up my own rolls; it is not intentional.

IC post in progress.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:20:34/12-14-14)
Per the IC post, casting Magic Fingers @ F4: 1 hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4740362/) on 14 dice. Ha, knew my luck would run out eventually.
Soaking 2 Drain: 1 hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4740366/) on 12 dice. Double ha. That's what I get for casting unnecessarily for RP purposes. Katsina eats 1 box of stun.

@rednblack, Ace's tailored outfit is nicely done. It has Armor 6, Insulation 2, and none of the social consequences of Ace's Survivalist suit. You wouldn't want to spend the night outside in it but it should be good for the current conditions (-4C / 25F, light breeze). The aesthetic details of the new outfit are up to you.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (03:30:54/12-14-14)
Should have done this with Ohanzee's roll. Doc's medicine.
Medicine roll for Doc Medicine(5) + Logic(9) - Wounds(1) = 13 (http://orokos.com/roll/238283): 13d6t5 4
Good enough

I'll write up docs IC in the morning. Doing this from my phone. He'll remind them about medkit supplies and maybe an armorer kit?

Deferring to Tec's ruling on the cred stick, but I'd think that you could transfer money to accounts via your comm, but not to another comm. you'd be able to transfer to another stick locally, or from acct to acct wirelessly, but not stick to stick wirelessly.  That would make the stick insecure and pointless. Just my 2 cents 😃
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (03:32:37/12-14-14)
Correct me if im wrong, but Sam has no credstick on him and no money in any account he can find?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:49:41/12-14-14)
Deferring to Tec's ruling on the cred stick, but I'd think that you could transfer money to accounts via your comm, but not to another comm. you'd be able to transfer to another stick locally, or from acct to acct wirelessly, but not stick to stick wirelessly.

I wasn't suggesting that money would be transferred from stick-to-stick wirelessly. Rather, that it would go stick1>comm1>comm2>stick2, with the wireless communication taking place between the two commlinks. The money would be loaded onto the commlinks as an intermediary step, not transferred wirelessly directly between the two sticks.

Correct me if im wrong, but Sam has no credstick on him and no money in any account he can find?

Ryo didn't leave me much information on possessions. I think the assumption was that most people had already found/recovered everything after they woke up. That said, it seems improbable that Sam wouldn't have any money of his own. I'll check with Ryo but he hasn't responded to a PM I sent him a couple days ago about lifestyles so I don't know how soon he'll get back to me.

@Poindexter, if there's something you're interested in buying I will roll a figure for you.

@rednblack, do you have any nuyen you know about? You're the only other one without any listed on your sheet.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (03:52:23/12-14-14)
if there's something you're interested in buying I will roll a figure for you.

There's nothing Sam would really like to buy, but the fact that He possesses no currency IS rather interesting information, if it's accurate.
I'd just like to know for sure, y'know?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:32:19/12-14-14)
Deferring to Tec's ruling on the cred stick, but I'd think that you could transfer money to accounts via your comm, but not to another comm. you'd be able to transfer to another stick locally, or from acct to acct wirelessly, but not stick to stick wirelessly.

I wasn't suggesting that money would be transferred from stick-to-stick wirelessly. Rather, that it would go stick1>comm1>comm2>stick2, with the wireless communication taking place between the two commlinks. The money would be loaded onto the commlinks as an intermediary step, not transferred wirelessly directly between the two sticks.

stick1 -> comm1 -> comm2 -> stick2 is specifically what I would think would not work.  Everyone would just have a credstick perma-installed in their comms turning them into a wireless credstick.  This would make world-wide traceless money transfers trival and take a huge cut out of the banks profits.  I would say it would need to go stick1 -> comm1 -> account1 -> account2 -> comm2 -> stick2.  But that leaves trails people can follow.  stick1 -> comm1 -> stick2 is pretty much the way I see to do transfers no one else can trace.

Which is all moot, I'm just waxing poetic here :)  Tecumseh says we can do it so it's all good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:56:47/12-14-14)
@Tecumseh: Since I fell short on the threshold do I find absolutely nothing?  Is this a dead end for me?  I'm halfway through writing this up and realize I don't know what I don't know :)

FWIW, information I was looking for was of course detailed history on the peice itself but also who would be interested in it and how much it would be worth.  I'm sure that the detailed history of it was the threshold 6 information and don't expect to find anything there.  Just stretching and trying to twist my failure into something salvagable :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:41:43/12-14-14)
@Zweiblumen, I will PM you what you find so that you can make the results IC.

Next steps
- We'll move things forward ICly once rednblack has a chance to post.
- Don't worry about continuity too much for the next few hours of IC time. We might be bouncing back and forth between what's happening in town versus what people at the cabin are doing and those timelines won't always sync up.
- Please feel free to continue plotting/scheming/RPing amongst yourselves. Blue Team could just drive off without Red Team, you know. Or vice versa.

In holiday news, I will be traveling to a cabin Idaho next Saturday. It's actually the model for the cabin where the PCs are now, although I've merged on some features from other cabins where I have stayed in the past. I will be gone for a week. I will have internet access but the connectivity speed varies unpredictably between DSL and an epileptic telegraph. My posting rate will slow down, but I predict it will be the same for many of you too. Nevertheless, we'll make as much progress as we can this week before going into our bye week.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (23:51:32/12-14-14)
I hope everyone enjoys thier holiday.  I'm not going anywhere so will be as available as anyone needs :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (10:48:00/12-15-14)
To my knowledge Ace doesn't have any ¥

Dice rolls for town:

Etiquette in town (no corp specialty) (http://orokos.com/roll/238620): 8d6t5 3

Perception (Looking for Tail) (http://orokos.com/roll/238621): 10d6t5 3

I imagine that this trip will be a pretty quick in and out.  Ace will request the driver's expertise on good places to go, and will give him a 20% tip when they get back to the house.  Ace will be running the Josh Adams SIN.  I'm tempted to check in to a hotel or clinic in town with the James Anderson SIN to see if that draws any baddies but it's probably best to wait to do that until we're close to being ready to leave. 

@Tecumseh, I'm not sure what you have planned for town, so should I just RP the whole thing and get us back to the house, or are you wanting to provide a certain feel/locations/etc. for town and I should hold off or just get us to town proper?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:57:10/12-15-14)
@rednblack, have your IC post get us into town and maybe to our first destination. Maybe point out a car for Doc to hack. Finding a good candidate won't be hard. Also, please note what you are carrying into town with you (weapons, gear, etc.).

@Zweiblumen, go ahead and hack if you like. You can also post what you learned from your research if you so choose. The results I sent you would come up before the end of the 12-hour threshold.

@8-bit and Poindexter can work on the coded messages (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17834.msg314666#msg314666) to and from "Mom".

@Malevolence, I see you're checking things off your list (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg337826#msg337826). Nice. The location history of your commlink doesn't reveal anything. Perhaps you had that functionality turned off or were actively deleting it prior to your crash. You can investigate Gloria's body ICly via the astral, if you want. Let me know what other locations you might want to visit.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (13:15:44/12-15-14)
You know, I don't think Chino ever did look at his commlink. I seem to remember it was a burner from somewhere, but maybe it will have some information. Looking through previous IC and OOC just to make sure.

Edit: Found it.

Quote from: Ryo; Tabula Rasa IC, Chapter 1; page 7
As you plug your commlink into DNI and check the contents, you quickly notice that you have no SIN. You suspect this is a burner, as there are no contacts or accounts or anything on it. You see a lot of phone calls to and from the device, but the recipients are just commcodes without names attached.

I'm curious if any of the phone calls or messages, if there are any, seem similar to Uncle Sam's messages with "Mom". Might give us more fuel to figure out this code.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:41:29/12-15-14)
Chino's commlink looks like it is about a month old. Cross-referencing the commcode numbers, you find that they are for Sam, Ohanzee, and Doc. Breaking down the call frequency, you'd say that it's 60% to/from Doc, 30% Sam, and 10% Ohanzee.

You're not sure why their names aren't listed as contacts, although perhaps it was for operational security since the Renraku Sensei is not a terribly secure device. Maybe you just recognized their commcodes.

You don't show any calls to or from Ace/APB/Katsina. Nor do you have any calls to/from Mom. If Doc and Ohanzee check they'll see that they don't have any direct contact with Mom either. Looks like it all goes through Sam. You do note that there usually seems to be a quick conference call with the team shortly shortly before Sam messages Mom.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:50:35/12-15-14)
Do I have anything to reference this?  If so, I'll want to do some more digging on that device!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:56:49/12-15-14)
What's the question? You want to dig around on Chino's commlink? If you want to read the messages to and from Mom then Sam already shared those. You can follow the link in my last OOC post to the relevant IC post.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (15:01:07/12-15-14)
You said over the past month he's contacted me ~60% of the time.  Was this on my old deck or some commlink?  Also, you said when we (chino/ohanzee/sam/doc) check, the only one with a 'mom' contact is sam.  What did I check to see that on?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:09:17/12-15-14)
Doc is on a new deck so he doesn't have any record of those calls with Chino on his side (since his old deck was shot up). But Chino and Doc will recognize his Doc's old commcode, even if it's not in use anymore.

Doc doesn't have any records of contact Mom on his new cyberdeck, which is hardly a surprise.

Doc's knowledge of this assumes that Chino shares his call records with Doc, which I presumed he would but is technically up to 8-bit.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (16:02:32/12-15-14)
Can Ace and Katsina duck into the apartment building, or are there locks on the front door?  Also, what can you tell me about said apartment building?  I'm just looking for general income bracket, security measure in place, etc. kind of info.  Using the specifically looking bonus on perception test to check for security measures.

Perception Test Apartment building (http://orokos.com/roll/238680): 10d6t5 5

Wasting my good dice on a throw-away roll.  Such is life.

In other news, it was nice knowing you chummers.  Please write while Ace is in lockup. 
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (16:07:53/12-15-14)
Damn, I knew Chino should have gone with you.

And yeah, Chino is sharing with Doc. It's a burner anyways, and we're all working together, so there's nothing to hide.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to start the IC talk, and I'm in the middle of writing a paper, so I haven't started trying to puzzle out the code.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:23:42/12-15-14)
In any other city, the apartment building would look solidly Middle lifestyle. In Aspen, it's definitely on the low end of the scale and you're mildly surprised it hasn't been blown up to be replaced by luxury condominiums. But for now it exists.

Ace, with his eagle vision, spies a maglock on the front door. There's a security camera in the lobby. Given that the man said that he's seen Ace go in and out of the building, it's possible that Ace has access without knowing it.

The men look like they are in construction. Strong, tough guys, but not necessarily fighters.

The men are close enough (say 20-25 meters) that it might be a race if you try to run for the front door. Ace, with his hydraulic jacks, is going to smoke anyone in a foot race. Katsina, however, will be left in Ace's dust, but for the moment they seem more interested in Ace than Katsina.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:14:23/12-15-14)
Once I have arranged for the mask, I will visit Gloria's house and her body, as well as keep tabs on Ace and Kat.


Which means I'll be checking in to the meat world frequently to catch up on text messages and send my own. Or I might just Manifest or chat with Katsina/Chino since presumably they can communicate with me from the Astral.


As an aside, the roll to find the ballistic mask included finding black market dealers, right? Or do I need to roll separately for that? I obviously don't want this linked to me, even on a burner SIN, and I don't want to put my contacts at risk by openly communicating with them (especially as they might be under surveillance if they were known associates).


Also, if anyone else wants stuff with availability, submit the list to Ohanzee and he'll see what he can do. Make sure you have the funds to cover it or can  borrow from another teammate. Again, I suggest something to hide your face and a micro-transceiver. This assumes that Tecumseh is okay with Ohanzee doing this for the team - I remember reading somewhere (maybe Missions play?) that some GMs did not like the Face shopping for the entire party in order to encourage contact use or something, but considering our circumstances with regards to contacts this might not apply.


Here's a couple Assensing rolls for Gloria and her home:
Sneaking Astrally [Sneaking 3 + Agility 5 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238698): 7d6t5 4
Assensing Gloria's House [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238696): 7d6t5 2
Assensing Gloria's Body [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238697): 7d6t5 2
Astral Overwatch (Ace & Katsina) [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238700): 7d6t5 2


The first roll was amazing, the other three fairly average. Though I don't know if I should be using Logic in place of Agility for Astral Stealth. If so, drop dice as you see fit (two dice difference).


I'll do an IC with the purchasing, location history search, and the astral looking around once I have the info I need.


Also, depending on time frames, Ohanzee might be available to participate in the potential fight. If needed he can drop the Air spirit and summon something more appropriate, but he would be loathe to unless absolutely necessary - it was a tough summon and he doesn't want to give up the cover. So chances are he'd just watch from astral until things are dire before jumping in with more than a Manifestation and a "Boo!". I could try Con from the astral - "I have an army of spirits ready to unleash if you don't move along", but again, it all depends on whether I am party to this engagement or not.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:28:50/12-15-14)
Alright, let's see if Ace is scary.  I took +1 for being intimidating looking, as I figure he's there, but low on the scale.

Intimidation: CHA 4 +INT 1 + (Physically Imposing) 1 +(Character wielding weapon) 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/238706): 8d6t5 5
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:56:30/12-15-14)
@Malevolence
No problems with Ohanzee doing the shopping / Availability rolling, even remotely. However, you won't be tapping into the black markets without contacts, like Vinny the Bear. The actual purchase of the mask can be done by Katsina acting as "Ivana", since her SIN is already at risk and since she might be the one actually picking up the mask. People in Aspen have their assistants pick up things all the time so the discrepancy between who calls and who picks it up is not noteworthy. It might be for Restricted gear, but everything you've ordered is legal and not tracked any more extensively than your average can of BUZZ!BLITZ soda.

Since you already successfully rolled for the Availability 6 ballistic mask I'll let you piggyback on that roll to get anything else you want Availability 6 or lower as long as it isn't R or F. Restricted items are not necessarily off-limits but will definitely require a SIN check.

Logic probably makes more sense for Astral stealth than Agility.

Ohanzee can communicate with Ace if he manifests. Ohanzee and Katsina can also communicate on the astral. If Ohanzee is tailing them now, Katsina would (mentally) wave him off, say things are under control, and tell him to keep an eye on the obelisk or go investigate Gloria. But if you continue tracking them let me know so I can account for it.

I'll tackle the rest of your stuff later tonight.

@rednblack
The goons outnumber you and they are physically imposing themselves so that costs you 4 dice. Remarkably that only costs you 1 hit so you're still left with 4. Nice rolling.

Charisma 3 + Willpower 2 + Liquid Courage 2 = 7 dice = 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4741528/)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:10:06/12-15-14)
@rednblack
The goons outnumber you and they are physically imposing themselves so that costs you 4 dice. Remarkably that only costs you 1 hit so you're still left with 4. Nice rolling.

Charisma 3 + Willpower 2 + Liquid Courage 2 = 7 dice = 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4741528/)

I wasn't sure if you wanted to boost the opposing roll or tax Ace's with the negative modifiers, as I know GMs run it both ways.  Going forward, I'll include the minuses as well as the pluses.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:33:57/12-15-14)
@Tecumseh: He'll head to Gloria's body first then. I'm assuming that they've only been gone for less than a half hour or so thus far, so he's hoping they haven't gotten into too much trouble yet. They will be his next stop after Gloria's house though, then off to her house.


I'm adding a general Astral Perception check here as he is keeping an eye out while he flits around the Astral:
Astral Perception (general) [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/238720): 7d6t5 3


Better than average - I'll take it.


I'mm adding 10 Security Tags to the list (Avail 3) to write sensitive info to as mentioned in the IC. Immunity to Tag Erasers is important.


I'll do my next IC when I have info on Gloria's body.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:35:58/12-15-14)
Oh, and the two dice to drop from the stealth check:
Drop dice from stealth check (http://orokos.com/roll/238722): 2d6t5 0


He keeps all of the hits.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:46:23/12-15-14)
I rolled starting nuyen for Sam and Ace, with sooper seekrit modifications.

Sam has ¥2,960. He has a Middle lifestyle, somewhere.

Ace finds the credstick mentioned in the IC post. He strongly suspects that he (or his cover identity - although who is to say which is which at this point) has a High lifestyle.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:55:27/12-16-14)
Doc is gonna ask for a face mask along the lines of this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vZj%2B5YxkL.jpg
How out of place does his Survivalist look in Aspen?  Would that stand out like a sore thumb or blend with the outdoors look even though it's "Urban"?

@Mal Security Tags don't hold data, unless Tecumseh houserules it.  They are just location RFIDs.  As for funds, he'll need to get those to you when Ace comes back with his credstick (unless he keeps in, in which case Doc will have to owe you however much the mask costs).
Also, can you let Doc know if you want the random car stolen?  He's got the time to do it now that he found the limited info.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:03:00/12-16-14)
Been real busy today, so no IC from me.

I suppose if we should all have stuff to cover our faces, I'll ask for a Ballistic Mask with the following.

Vision Enhancement 2; Vision Magnification; Biomonitor; Gas Mask; Trodes

That will bring it up to Availability 12;1,970 nuyen cost. If necessary, I can get away with dropping Vision Enhancement and Vision Magnification, which would give it Availability 6; 720 nuyen cost.

I'll try to get started on figuring out this code (with Pointdexter) tomorrow.

Edit: Same question as Zweiblumen, but Urban Explorer Jumpsuit instead of an Ares Survivalist. Might need some less conspicuous clothes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:31:46/12-16-14)
@Zweiblumen - the decoy car was supposed to be done earlier rather than later, but better late than never. Ace and Katsina are supposed to find you a candidate while they are in town. But yes, Ohanzee does still want that done.

I'm assuming that the balaclava is roughly equivalent to a standard helmet cost and availability wise? I don't remember seeing anything like that listed in the role books for 5th so Tecumseh will have to make that call.

Lastly, according to the information in the rule book, all RFID tags have enough storage for "one or more files, but not much else".

@8-bit - I have 11 dice to roll vs the availability of 12 for that mask and Tecumseh has been rolling like a champ. I can't do an IC until tomorrow, so let me know if you want to go big or go safe (anything rating 6 or below Tecumseh will let me have without a roll).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (04:58:31/12-16-14)
@Zweiblumen - the decoy car was supposed to be done earlier rather than later, but better late than never. Ace and Katsina are supposed to find you a candidate while they are in town. But yes, Ohanzee does still want that done.

I'm assuming that the balaclava is roughly equivalent to a standard helmet cost and availability wise? I don't remember seeing anything like that listed in the role books for 5th so Tecumseh will have to make that call.

Lastly, according to the information in the rule book, all RFID tags have enough storage for "one or more files, but not much else".

Sorry mate, just trying to do things as logically as possible. Last I read, you wanted me to hack into all of the local surveillance equipment in Aspen and follow folks until I found one that would work.  Tec pointed out that that wasn't particularly feasible, and we moved on.

As for a fancy ski mask costing as much as a helmet, I'd be amazed, but that's going to be Tec's call.  I'd guess 35-50¥

For the tags, that is RAW, so you're probably good, but the file won't be secure, just un-erasable.  I'd suggest locking the file if you can, though that might defeat the purpose if we loose our memory again and can't unlock the file 😜
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (10:13:33/12-16-14)
@8-bit - I have 11 dice to roll vs the availability of 12 for that mask and Tecumseh has been rolling like a champ. I can't do an IC until tomorrow, so let me know if you want to go big or go safe (anything rating 6 or below Tecumseh will let me have without a roll).

Ah, good point. Might as well go safe then. Don't need the vision enhancements.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (10:35:57/12-16-14)
Sam has ¥2,960. He has a Middle lifestyle, somewhere.

is this middle lifestyle registered to Frank, Ralph, or another name?

EDIT: WHOA! I'd been so preoccupied with the content of the messages that i missed something interesting in the header!
The fake SIN Ralph is a PCC SIN. And that's the one he had all the dealings with the johnson through. SURELY that's gotta mean something.

Also, What's the most recent correspondence between Sams Comm and his other two contacts, dad and gift shop?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (11:53:31/12-16-14)
@Malevolence, as I said explicitly here (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg338128#msg338128), I am not concerned about continuity while the team members are engaged in their separate tasks. PbP requires a certain flexibility with timing lest you leave players inactive for long stretches of time. Please avoid comments like "supposed to be done earlier rather than later, but better late than never", which come across the wrong way, especially when the GM has said sequencing isn't important.

@8-bit, barring a glitch or a critical glitch, there's no harm in rolling for a higher Availability item. The only potential drawback is if the modifications increase the price beyond ¥1,000 then the delivery time will be extended from one day to two. But PCC does offer some good deals on electronics, so that helps keep the price down.

@Zweiblumen, there are plenty of balaclavas available at local outdoor retailers. If you just want something to cover your face - not as armor - then a cheap one will cost ¥25 and a nice one will cost ¥50. Because they cover your face and head they would offer Insulation at rating 1 or 2, respectively. If you want something armored, then we'll have to make something up. I would likely use a ballistic mask as a starting point.

@Poindexter, the middle lifestyle is registered to Frank, who is the contact of record with "Mom". There is no lifestyle listed for Ralph, who (as you point out) is the contact of record with the Johnson. Searching through your commlink history, you find no evidence that you have ever communicated with Dad. Your last communication with Gift Shop was last Saturday, January 26th. It was a short call made by Frank, lasting less than 15 seconds. You have no record of what was said.

@All, I have a report due tomorrow so I will be away from the game most of the day. Please continue to roll and post ICly and I'll resolve things later today.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (12:33:16/12-16-14)
RE: Balaclava - I was thinking just cloth.  If we are trying not to stand out like sore thumbs I figure winter gear is better, and wouldn't have to worry about getting custom armored clothing.  Which was also part of my question on the survivalist suit.  Would it look out of place walking around downtown in that?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (12:42:02/12-16-14)
RE: Ace's idea of hacking Zed's car - I love it!  :)  What time is it in game where you are.  I put times in my post, but can retconn it a bit to work out the flow better if I'm off.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:50:37/12-16-14)
@8-bit, barring a glitch or a critical glitch, there's no harm in rolling for a higher Availability item. The only potential drawback is if the modifications increase the price beyond ¥1,000 then the delivery time will be extended from one day to two. But PCC does offer some good deals on electronics, so that helps keep the price down.

Honestly, we have no idea how long we have to hole up here. Might as well go for the (more) guaranteed one that will deliver quickly.

This code thing is really killing me. It would be helpful if we knew what physical evidence went along with the messages, but without it, it could really mean anything. The only thing that pops out at me is that the third message had a 5 minute delay. Now, that could mean nothing, but in an established setup like this, that means something (if only that Sam asked something huge from Mom and she had to think about it). Also, the mention of "Dad wants to see you" could mean something as well, but again, I have no idea. Obviously all the other messages were trades of some sort (whether cash for guns, guns for guns, or whatever), but I have no idea how to decipher them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:55:18/12-16-14)
Ace has an Ares Armored Survivalist suit too. It makes you look like a hunter. Some research will indicate that you are at the very, very end of the hunting season. (Rifle Plains Elk/Deer hunting season just ended yesterday, January 31st). Wearing a Survivalist suit around town will draw attention from the fashion police but probably not the SecForce troopers, unless you're acting suspiciously.

The answer is roughly the same for the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit. It would be like wearing a tracksuit around town. Great in Jersey, but you'll get giggles from the fashion-conscious locals in Aspen. It's not necessarily suspicious from a security standpoint, unless the SecForce decides you look lower-class and asks you to broadcast your SIN to make sure you're a legitimate citizen. That would be trouble for Chino.

Zed's is the name of the dive bar where APB was seen with this guy. It's not this guy's name, but we can refer to him as Zed if it makes things easier. He confronts Ace and Katsina around 3pm.

I can't IC post for a while but when she goes astral Katsina will find Zed and Ze Orks outside waiting to jump Ace when he comes out. It's unclear which car is his, although hacking his commlink might work if he has a car slaved to it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:01:00/12-16-14)
@Tecumseh: Do we know who Dr. Winters was working for?  The public police report mentioned a co-worker or boss reporting her missing, I'd like to do some digging on those two.  Try to find the node she was last working in that might have her notes and such.

@rednblack/Tecumseh: Do you guys send Doc a message letting him know what's going on?  His agent is running overwatch while he's doing research.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:35:14/12-16-14)
Zed's is the name of the dive bar where APB was seen with this guy. It's not this guy's name, but we can refer to him as Zed if it makes things easier. He confronts Ace and Katsina around 3pm.

I can't IC post for a while but when she goes astral Katsina will find Zed and Ze Orks outside waiting to jump Ace when he comes out. It's unclear which car is his, although hacking his commlink might work if he has a car slaved to it.

I'd rather not have Doc hack the commlink or the car until it's parked and away from the owner.  That way, "Zed" might think it was Ace who nicked it, and that's what I'm going for here.  Of course, that doesn't jive with the "hack a car that won't be missed for awhile" plan, but it does provide some other possible incentives, and as Vincent says, "adapt, I Ching" etc. 

Hmm, not sure what to do about the waiting ambush.  Maybe Katsina can put up 2 physical mask spells?  I'd rather not call 5-0, but maybe we could get Doc to hack some poor slub's comm and make the call from that number?  I don't mind trying to fight it out, but that's probably not the smart call.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (13:42:22/12-16-14)
Ok, modified list of stuff to buy. Can we assume this is all known as a shopping list without having to do weird space time breaks?

Ballistic Mask -- Availability 6; 970 nuyen cost.
- Biomonitor
- Gas Mask
- Trodes
- Insulation 1

I really need something better looking to wear, but they are all expensive and (I have the feeling) don't fit it that well with the Aspen crowd. They probably wear 20,000 nuyen suits as "comfort" clothes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:59:30/12-16-14)
Ok, modified list of stuff to buy. Can we assume this is all known as a shopping list without having to do weird space time breaks?

Ballistic Mask -- Availability 6; 970 nuyen cost.
- Biomonitor
- Gas Mask
- Trodes
- Insulation 1

I really need something better looking to wear, but they are all expensive and (I have the feeling) don't fit it that well with the Aspen crowd. They probably wear 20,000 nuyen suits as "comfort" clothes.

I was under the impression that Ace and Kat would be buying outfits for everyone. At the very least we should be able to do 500 ny suits and have Kat make the necessary alterations to make them look pretty damned good if we have the time.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:09:48/12-16-14)
@Tecumseh/Zweiblumen - I'm sorry. I didn't mean it ... Malevolently. (Ba-Dum-Crash!) Just for clarification, though, if the player assigns specific times to an action, the order is still doesn't matter? That was where my confusion came in - he submitted his report IC at around midnight, and then at that point asked if the car was still necessary. But if it's okay to retcon that so that the car heist happens earlier in the day, then we're all good (and really, it's okay even if it takes place at Midnight - so long as it happens before we are discovered in Aspen, it should serve its purpose).


@Zweiblumen/8-bit/Tecumseh - I left the IC vague as to what was ordered so I wouldn't have to update it as the shopping list changes. But Ohanzee will make arrangements for the two items requested.


@Zweiblumen - re: Secure RFID, I might have Doc lock the file, but wireless off and physically hidden should provide some decent operational security. As far as locking the file, I assume that we could use biometric access tied to one or more of the team. The chip may not have the biometric reader built in, but so long as one of us has one, I'm assuming the file itself could be protected with biometrics. Again, this is a rules grey area I think, so it's up to Tecumseh. Speaking of which, does anyone have a biometric reader already? If not, the file lock isn't important enough to purchase one for.


@Tecumseh - I have a few rules questions. I'm not sure if they have community consensus or if I have just missed something in the book or if I should be opening topics in the forums at large for them, but for now at the very least I want to know your ruling:
1. Astral tracking - the book isn't clear what happens if the trail you are following disappears before the tracking is complete. For example, if you spot a summoned spirit and start tracking its connection back to its summoner, and before you locate the summoner the spirit is unsummoned, do you completely lose the trail or can you completely track something just by observing it briefly?
2. Astral communication - is there a range? If I want to communicate with Katsina or Chino, do I have to astrally travel to their vicinity and talk, or can I mentally project that communication from anywhere? In most cases it's moot since Astral travel over the distances we are working with is nearly instant, but in case it comes up I'd like clarification.


Non rules questions:
1. Does Ohanzee have a known residence? If so, he'd like to check that out while he's flitting around the Astral.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:11:32/12-16-14)
I'd rather not have Doc hack the commlink or the car until it's parked and away from the owner.  That way, "Zed" might think it was Ace who nicked it, and that's what I'm going for here.  Of course, that doesn't jive with the "hack a car that won't be missed for awhile" plan, but it does provide some other possible incentives, and as Vincent says, "adapt, I Ching" etc. 
That works, just send a message to the team IC.  If you can point out the goons, he should be able to crack his 'link and find the car that way.  Once he's found the car, we can stage it so it looks like you nabbed it.
@mal Once Ace sends that message, why don't you chime in with your two cents.  Doc would probably defer to Ohanzee unless timing was critical and he didn't respond.  Dunno how to work matrix communications while you are astral.  Don't think signals from your physical body are getting to your consiousness there, but you mentioned checking your messages frequently so timing could work out.

I was under the impression that Ace and Kat would be buying outfits for everyone. At the very least we should be able to do 500 ny suits and have Kat make the necessary alterations to make them look pretty damned good if we have the time.

This works for me
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:14:17/12-16-14)
I was under the impression that Ace and Kat would be buying outfits for everyone. At the very least we should be able to do 500 ny suits and have Kat make the necessary alterations to make them look pretty damned good if we have the time.

This works for me

Agreed; if it's possible to get something completely unarmored that just looks good, then that works for me. I can still wear the jumpsuit underneath it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:21:20/12-16-14)
@Tecumseh/Zweiblumen - I'm sorry. I didn't mean it ... Malevolently. (Ba-Dum-Crash!) Just for clarification, though, if the player assigns specific times to an action, the order is still doesn't matter? That was where my confusion came in - he submitted his report IC at around midnight, and then at that point asked if the car was still necessary. But if it's okay to retcon that so that the car heist happens earlier in the day, then we're all good (and really, it's okay even if it takes place at Midnight - so long as it happens before we are discovered in Aspen, it should serve its purpose).

I put it at about 7:30pm, not midnight trying to account for my time.  But I can easilly move the "car stolen" line further up in the post with an earlier timestamp :P  I'm not a fan of retconning, but that seems minor enough and I was being a bit aggressive with my time management there. (Assuming @Tecumseh is okay with it ;))
He looks at his local time readout and sees that it's 19:34 already.  He writes up his findings and sends it to the team.
<<<@Team [Doc] There is nothing out in the open that I can find about this artifact.  That data is really well hidden and/or being actively hunted/erased.  I'm hoop deep in data with none of it specific to our target.  However Dr. Winters is another story.  If we can find where she was doing her latest research I'm sure I can get her notes.  Have we found any more info on her residence or office?>>>

<<<@Ohanzee [Doc] You still want a car sent to another city?  I can just grab one from a parking lot at random and get it to set off some alarms once it gets there.>>>

@Zweiblumen/8-bit/Tecumseh - I left the IC vague as to what was ordered so I wouldn't have to update it as the shopping list changes. But Ohanzee will make arrangements for the two items requested.

Thanks!

@Zweiblumen - re: Secure RFID, I might have Doc lock the file, but wireless off and physically hidden should provide some decent operational security. As far as locking the file, I assume that we could use biometric access tied to one or more of the team. The chip may not have the biometric reader built in, but so long as one of us has one, I'm assuming the file itself could be protected with biometrics. Again, this is a rules grey area I think, so it's up to Tecumseh. Speaking of which, does anyone have a biometric reader already? If not, the file lock isn't important enough to purchase one for.

At least Ohanzee and Doc have biomonitors:
@The Crumpled Man: You wake up to a flashing in your Image Link, synchronized to the flashing coming from your cyberarm that's lighting up the cabin of the van. You groggily regain consciousness and instantly regret it, feeling an intense pain in your body, but luckily the cold snow you're lying in is helping to numb it. You finally focus on the display in your eyes and try to piece together what's going on.

>> Biomonitor
>> [X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][ ]
>> Warning: Critical wounds detected. Attempting to stabilize. Please seek immediate attention at your nearest medical facility.

[...]
@The Dwarf: You inhale sharply as you come around and begin coughing as pain burns inside your chest. You notice blood on the snow pile coming in through the windows, and feel some of it dripping down your face. You blink a few times, aware of some contacts in your eyes that are projecting an image into your field of vision.

>> Biomonitor
>> [X][X][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
>> Warning: Internal injuries detected. Please seek medical attention at your soonest convenience.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:00:15/12-16-14)
@Zweiblumen - Ah, I was going from your earlier OOC estimate that at 12 hours for the research that it would be done at midnight and totally glossed over the actual timestamp in IC.


We have biomonitors (which monitor vitals like heartrate, blood pressure, etc), but they are not biometric readers (which are things like retinal scanners, fingerprint readers, voice identification, etc).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:20:40/12-16-14)
Yeah, as I said earlier, I suffer greatly from RIH syndrome.  Doc'll buy one, toss it on his list.  It can come in handy.  Also seems like someone cut off the good doctors digits specifically to be able to open some biometric readers.  Did Ohanzee happen to notice if she was missing an eye also?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:02:31/12-16-14)
I can make another trip out there. I've been trying to do an IC all day, but work has been more hectic than usual. He was going to pop back in to give you her location so you could check to see if she has a commlink near her, or anything else electronical that might be valuable. You can run with that if you get to an IC before I do.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:09:47/12-16-14)
Perception Test (Don't wanna get sucker-punched or ran over by passing cars) (http://orokos.com/roll/239030): 10d6t5 3

Running Test (Goodbye chumps) (http://orokos.com/roll/239034): 8d6t5 3

With Ace's 9 AGI, that's 24M this CT, barring any conditional modifiers, which I'm sure are coming.  A -3 dice modifier would put Ace at 20M this CT, but even if there aren't any, Ace is not in the same league as unaugmented world-class runners today.

Ace's Running Skill isn't high enough to net him more than 1 Sprinting Test per CT, but here is his Initiative: Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/239045): 7+2d6 9

Well, he wouldn't get an extra shot at sprinting anyway.  What an awful roll.  Very glad you can't glitch initiative.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:17:18/12-16-14)
@mal cool, that sounds like a solid plan.

Matrix Initiative 9+4d6 (http://orokos.com/roll/239050): 4d6+9 24
Matrix Perception Looking for the 3 hoods comms Computers(5)+Intution(4)+Qualia(1)+VR(2)+DataJack(1)+SignalScrub(2)-Silent(2)-Wounds(1)-Noise(3)=9 (http://orokos.com/roll/239046): 9d6t5 1

Not much, but if they aren't running silent I'll find them.  If they are here's 2 more searchs (should be able to do that in ~3-6 seconds):
3 more searches (http://orokos.com/roll/239048): 3#9d6t5 3 3 1
And wow, I'm rolling like shit.  Hopefully those 2 3's will find them.
If I get enough nethits, or they are not running silently I'll want to find out what model each of them are.

A couple of HotF's to use as needed:
HotF to get a mark on each of their comms hacking(6)+logic(9)+VR(2)+Datajack(1)+SignalScrub(2)-Silent(2)-Noise(3)-Wound(1)=14 (http://orokos.com/roll/239052): 3#14d6t5 3 6 8
I honestly only care about the owner of the car, if I can tell which one that is, I'd like to use those all on him, otherwise I'll spread them out.  If that 3 is hitting a high end comm, I'll re-roll it with edge.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:24:20/12-16-14)
@Zweiblumen, I'm hoping Doc can get some hits while they're out running.  If nothing else, it would be nice for Ace to know what he's up against, but if not no big worries.  We know they'll make their way to Zed's eventually, and the cameras there -- if there are any -- will be much easier to hack than most of the other Hosts around.  Even if not, we can put some meat eyes on the place to help Doc work his matrix mojo.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:00:17/12-16-14)
@rednblack, this is not the approach I was expecting but it should be fun to write.

Presuming Ace uses his wireless bonus he gets another 6 dice for sprinting due to his hydraulic jacks. 6 extra dice = 1 extra hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4742842/). Sorry I couldn't come up with all sixes like I did for Chino.

AGI 9 * 2 for running = 18 meters/turn
+
4 sprinting hits * 2m/hit = 8 meters/turn
=
26 meters per turn = 8.67 meters/second = 31.2 kph = 19.4 mph.

A little slow, actually, due to my nerfing movement rates. But it was either that or go with the base rules, which would have Ace running at 27mph without sprinting. Who knows, maybe that would have been more a realistic representation for his bionic legs.

(http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1699363/t1000-chase-o.gif)

Naturally, the problem comes down to the abstraction of the rules. The book describes running as "jogging" (allowing you to do other actions) without any intermediary step between that and sprinting. I may have to create that intermediary step at AGI * 2.5 and have sprinting hits added to that. And now that I'm dicking with the math I'm starting to think that the sprinting hits don't add enough meters/turn. But then of course the math breaks down at the extremes because it is linear and not logarithmic. Usain Bolt, presuming 7 AGI + 6 STR + 13 running + 2 spec should be doing the 100m dash in 7 seconds according to the core rules.

Still tied up at work. Taking a little break to pencil this out. I should be back on late tonight.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:50:46/12-16-14)
@rednblack, this is not the approach I was expecting but it should be fun to write.

At least Shadowrun is one of those systems that doesn't penalize splitting the party  8)

How do you want to run the crunch for this?  Are we going to go with some foot-powered version of chase ranges, or something else entirely?  As soon as Ace gets to a well-traveled street, I plan on having him duck into a storefront or cafe.  A cafe would be good, as they always have back doors, and he can just go through the kitchen and out the back, though again, I'd like to avoid calling undo attention if possible.  All this is assuming he doesn't get dinged on his way out the door of the apartment.

Presuming Ace uses his wireless bonus he gets another 6 dice for sprinting due to his hydraulic jacks. 6 extra dice = 1 extra hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4742842/). Sorry I couldn't come up with all sixes like I did for Chino.

AGI 9 * 2 for running = 18 meters/turn
+
4 sprinting hits * 2m/hit = 8 meters/turn
=
26 meters per turn = 8.67 meters/second = 31.2 kph = 19.4 mph.

A little slow, actually, due to my nerfing movement rates. But it was either that or go with the base rules, which would have Ace running at 27mph without sprinting. Who knows, maybe that would have been more a realistic representation for his bionic legs.

Presume away.  I completely forgot about the hydraulic jacks.  But yes, I would much rather be the T-1000 in this scenario. 

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:25:51/12-17-14)
Lots to reply to. I may break this up into multiple posts. Rednblack first.

Surprise rolls for the goons: 3 hits, 2 hits, 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743167/). They're off to an okay start. The human and ork #2 are startled but not surprised when Ace bursts out the door.
Surprise roll for Ace with +3 for being aware: 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743169/), not surprised by the hiding goons.

Human initiative: 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743168/)
Ork #2 initiative: 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743168/)
Ork #1 initiative: busy picking nose

Zed uses an Intercept interrupt action to take a swing. Ace, based on the IC post, will simply try to outmaneuver and outrun. This is actually a pretty easy test. Agility + Gymnastics, needs two hits. I'm going to say the hydraulic jacks count. If Ace can't get 17 hits on two dice I'm going to let this guy knock Ace's head off.

Agility 9 + Gymnastics 2 + Hydraulic Jacks 6: 5 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743170/). Ace bobs and weaves and is headed for daylight.

Ork #2 is going to chuck a bottle at Ace. Given his 26 meters/turn, Ace is already 13 meters past him by the time the ork winds up. Bottles aren't really represented on the range chart but I'm going to use Throwing Knives as a baseline. Strength 6 * 2 for short = 12 meters so Ace is already at Medium range. Agility 4 + Throwing Weapons 2 - 1 Medium: 1 hit (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743172/)

Ace dodge is Reaction 4 + Intuition 3 + Running 2: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743173/). Not pretty but it's enough.

Ace is gone in a cloud of dust. He won't have any trouble outrunning these guys. I'll write up the IC encounter; you can go wherever you want from there.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:01:26/12-17-14)
Astral
@Mal
1. Astral tracking may continue even if the source disappears. If you assense a spirit you can trace it back to its summoner even if the spirit is banished, or fulfills its services, or runs away. Per the table on p. 315, this gets harder over time.
2. Astral communication is LOS while projecting/perceiving. Communication while manifesting is more akin to being physically present, i.e. being within earshot.


Shopping
@8-bit, not problem getting an order in for a ballistic mask. Good news: the biomonitor and the trodes are 20% off because of PCC's leading position in the electronics industry. Final cost is ¥900 instead of ¥970. Mask will be ready tomorrow.

The assumption was the Ace and Katsina were buying street clothes for everyone. I was thinking ¥200/each for casual walk-around clothes. You can spend ¥500 if you want to look better (an okay suit, or designer jeans and a nice sweater). I had ¥1,200 budgeted for this but let me know if you want to spend more. Katsina and Ace have found their clothing and could technically return their purchases.

@8-bit, wearing an Urban Explorer Jumpsuit under clothing is fine if it's something baggy like a jacket and maybe some ski pants, but it's going to look very bulky under non-winter (or indoor) clothing.


Lifestyles
Ryo got back to me. Chino and Doc do NOThave any SINs or lifestyles. They are effectively Street at the moment. This may or may not be a clue about their prior selves.

@Mal, if Ohanzee has a residence he doesn't remember it nor have any record of it.

@Poindexter, Sam has a residence in Boulder listed under his Ralph SIN. I meant to mention this yesterday (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg338379#msg338379) when I said Sam has a Middle lifestyle "somewhere" but I needed to double-check a few things first.


Did I miss any outstanding questions? Anyone want to earn bonus points by compiling the shopping list into a single OOC post?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:14:55/12-17-14)
Zweiblumen's hack

Please let me know how you have your deck configured and what programs you are running.

1. The hoods are not running silent. You spot their icons.
2. The first is a Renraku Sensei (rating 3) while the other two are Sony Emperors (rating 2).
3. Hacking resist, strongest to weakest (sorry, I know this screws you but it's the order I would have processed them even if your rolls had been reversed): 3 hits, 1 hit, 1 hit glitch (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743196/). I'm going to turn that glitch into a second free mark.
3a. Edge reroll, per your request: 4 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743199/)
3b. Bad Luck check: 1, lulz! (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4743199/)
4. Doc has one mark on Comm #2 and two marks on Comm #3, both of which are rating 2. Conversely, the rating 3 commlink (Comm #1) has a mark on Doc. En garde!

It's late and I deliver my report tomorrow so I'm going to get a fast IC post up to cover Ace and Katsina. If I've left anything unaddressed please let me know and I'll catch up tomorrow.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:19:57/12-17-14)
Ohanzee can't tell if Gloria still has her eyes. She's laying/lying face-down. It's tough to tell eyeballs from the rest of her skull on the astral. Also, she's flatter than usual. She looks pretty... broken.

Holy hell the things I have to write for this game sometimes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:20:56/12-17-14)
Current shopping list
All
Clothes: 200¥ per person, ready today

Medkit supplies (qty 4): Avail 0, 400¥, ready today
Total: 1600¥


Ohanzee
Binoculars: Avail 0, 50¥, ready today
10 security tags: Avail 3, 5¥, ready today
Ballistic mask (camera, omni mic, radio signal scanner rating 1, micro transceiver): Avail 6, 545¥, ready tomorrow
Total: 600¥

Doc
Balaclava: Avail 0, 25¥, ready today
Biometric reader (commlink accessory): Avail 4, 200¥, ready tomorrow
Total: 225¥


Chino
Ballistic mask (biomonitor, gas mask, trodes): Avail 6, 900¥, ready tomorrow
Total: 900¥

I never got any feedback on the fly spy, which I can't afford, so I think that's a bust.

ETA I'll reorder the list by requestor tomorrow for clarity and add costs, but I can't do that from my tablet atm.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:40:44/12-17-14)
Shopping
@8-bit, not problem getting an order in for a ballistic mask. Good news: the biomonitor and the trodes are 20% off because of PCC's leading position in the electronics industry. Final cost is ¥900 instead of ¥970. Mask will be ready tomorrow.

The assumption was the Ace and Katsina were buying street clothes for everyone. I was thinking ¥200/each for casual walk-around clothes. You can spend ¥500 if you want to look better (an okay suit, or designer jeans and a nice sweater). I had ¥1,200 budgeted for this but let me know if you want to spend more. Katsina and Ace have found their clothing and could technically return their purchases.

@8-bit, wearing an Urban Explorer Jumpsuit under clothing is fine if it's something baggy like a jacket and maybe some ski pants, but it's going to look very bulky under non-winter (or indoor) clothing.

All right, noted. Probably better to be "stealthy" (using the term loosely) than armored at this point. Getting stopped by cops and them asking for my SIN would be problematic.

Holy hell the things I have to write for this game sometimes.

The wonderful world of GMing, eh?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (08:10:55/12-17-14)
@Tecumseh, so are they giving chase?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (11:28:28/12-17-14)
They will give chase if Ace lures them on, but if Ace keeps running at 20mph then they're going to give up quickly, especially if he heads straight for the central business district.

Another busy day at work today. If all goes well, tomorrow and Friday should be much quieter.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:47:07/12-17-14)
They will give chase if Ace lures them on, but if Ace keeps running at 20mph then they're going to give up quickly, especially if he heads straight for the central business district.

Another busy day at work today. If all goes well, tomorrow and Friday should be much quieter.

Ace will definitely try to lure them on.  Can't have them waiting outside and possibly impeding Katsina's movements.  I'm thinking about faking a fall, to make Ace look like an easy target, but I'm unsure how you would want me to roll that.  I'm thinking AGI+Gymnastics, where hits would add dice modifiers to a Con test?  Or I guess I could just turn around and insult them.  They seem eager enough to cave Ace's head in as is.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:58:11/12-17-14)
The slip is a great idea. Very plausible under the conditions. No need for a Con roll.

I should get cute and make this a Free-Fall test, but I won't. Let's do Agility+Gymnastics. You might want to ping Katsina of your plans so she doesn't freak.

Insulting should work like a charm too.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:24:36/12-17-14)
Gymnastic Roll (Ace takes a tumble) (http://orokos.com/roll/239218): 11d6t5 3

Continuing my habit of rolling 3 hits, no matter how many dice I'm throwing.  That should do it, I'd guess.  Will post IC in a bit.

ETA: I'm making a Perception test to see how well Ace can gauge the potential speed his attackers can make when they come after him.

Perception (How fast can these guys run?) (http://orokos.com/roll/239223): 10d6t5 1

Well, he's probably not going to have a great idea there.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:25:42/12-17-14)
Base running rates:

Ace: 18 meters/turn
Orks: 8 meters/turn
Human: 10 meters/turn

Ace can't gauge how well they can sprint, but it's going to take a significant effort for them even to match his jogging rate. He has a 20 meter lead on them at the moment.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:59:55/12-17-14)
I'm busy with work and a few errands today, so I'll be late in responding.

And I hit the 1 on unlucky two times in a row?  Wow, he's earning that chargen karma! (fwiw, that IC link takes me the edge re-roll, but I'll take your word for it :P)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (15:03:46/12-17-14)
A ruby haze of anger and cuckoldry descends over their eyes as they charge after him.

Hahahahahaha.  Ok, I'm going to forgo any sprinting tests for the moment, and will keep a pace of about 9M at turn until they start to close the distance.  I'd also like to go Full Defense, on the chance there's another bottle, or something else, coming Ace's way in the next round.  Let's see if I have the initiative to do so.

Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/239234): 7+2d6 14

Yep. 

Ok, Ace's actions:
Interrupt Action: Full Defense
Free: Run
Simple: Use Simple Device: Ace is going to reroute himself through the alley and take a turn at the earliest convenience to pull the trio out of LOS from the apartment complex
Simple: Send message to Katsina

I'm not sure how long I should keep in initiative order, so when you want to start abstracting things, just let me know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (15:33:16/12-17-14)
IC up, with fun revelations. If Ohanzee knew about the blood in the fridge, he'd probably have more suspicions that the purpose for the artifact and their infection were related, but that train of thought should be pretty obvious to anyone else once that info is made available.


@Tecumseh - What kind of rolls do you want for the sequence of tasks outlined in the first paragraph of the IC?


ETA: Dolphin is still my favorite spirit to write for, but I'm really liking Celestial Raven for the number two spot. It's fun to write the wry, highly intelligent know it all. It's even more fun because he enjoys causing frustration.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:01:01/12-17-14)
Shopping list updated with cost, availability, and delivery time, separated by recipient.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:03:09/12-17-14)
Having already given Ace his Credstick, Doc would like the nicer clothes, cuz money comes and money goes :P

If Ohanzee needs some cash, Doc will help out with anything that Ohanzee thinks is important, so spend away.  Again, Doc sees money as a very transient thing.  He doesn't have enough to get a decent SIN, so he's not plused either way.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:45:34/12-17-14)
I'm making the assumption that we are retconning the handing of the credsticks to Ace and will just be transferring Nuyen to him as needed.


But, if you are willing to bankroll the Fly Spy, that'd be great, but it's 2k¥ on its own, and you are 225¥ down from the 1970¥ you had to start. I'm hoping Ace and Katsina are covering the cost of clothes. Ohanzee has 80¥ left that he can pitch in, but that still leaves us at 175¥ shy.


Let me make the suggestion for it IC (apparently I didn't do that yet) and see what people say - if anyone remembers they can fly one, that would be great, otherwise it'd likely just be community property (probably will anyway).


It'll be handy for getting a closer look at Gloria (or what's left of her). If we can rig lights to it, we could send it out after sundown and I could have a spirit materialize and turn her body over so we could check for other missing body parts (and give Tecumseh more fun writing opportunities!)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:06:04/12-17-14)
@Mal: Your IC post says, "He relays his thoughts to the team". Is Ohanzee sharing details of his thinking or just the fact that he's had an epiphany? I'm trying to figure out how much Katsina can respond to.

Tests, if I'm understanding them correctly:
1. Assensing - you can assense the artifact with a normal roll
2. Touching - you can roll Perception (Touch) if you want
3. Spellcasting - you can cast Mind Net if that is your intent

Very nice job on the shopping list. We can retcon the physical credsticks but not the cred transfers because Katsina doesn't have enough to cover the clothes shopping prior to Ace finding his credstick. (And said credstick isn't public knowledge yet.)

Sounds like Doc is upgrading his wardrobe from ¥200 to ¥500. Ace and Katsina can return their purchases to save some nuyen if they can get back to the store.

Medkits were on the shopping list too, or resupplies for the current medkits. If the team wants a new medkit then we'll have to pick a rating.

As people hear Ohanzee's suggestion to purchase an MCT Fly-Spy, everyone realizes that they have Pilot Aircraft 0.

Good news: Fly-Spies (or a locally produced competitor) and other non-restricted drones are 20% off due to PCC's position as a market leader in tech and electronics.
Bad news: A Fly-Spy does not have the range to fly 50km round-trip through the mountains in winter weather conditions. Even if it did, the Noise and Static Zone modifiers would be off the charts (10+).

@rednblack: Ace's walking rate is 9m/turn so you don't technically have to run if you want them to close the distance. You can walk (ok, "speed walk") without spending an action. That liberates your Free action to send a message to Katsina, which in turn gives you another Simple if you want it.

We don't have to stay in initiative. We can abstract the rest of the sequence.

@Zweiblumen: Go ahead and continue your hack. Getting slapped with a mark doesn't seem to be earning you any extra attention. Perhaps the commlink owner is otherwise engaged at the moment.

@Poindexter & 8-bit: How's that code coming along?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:21:59/12-17-14)
I can't think of anything else to use a Sple Action on. I don't want to spool them by drawing a weapon. If they're going to follow me and I can easily keep ahead of them is it ok if I RP losing them in the back streets, or are there more surprises coming down the pipe?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:33:44/12-17-14)
@Mal: Your IC post says, "He relays his thoughts to the team". Is Ohanzee sharing details of his thinking or just the fact that he's had an epiphany? I'm trying to figure out how much Katsina can respond to.
Sorry, it was my shorthand so I didn't have to retype his whole thought process. Assume anything that happened in the astral and in his head up to that point in the post is IC knowledge for the team, at least in broad strokes.


Tests, if I'm understanding them correctly:
1. Assensing - you can assense the artifact with a normal roll
2. Touching - you can roll Perception (Touch) if you want
3. Spellcasting - you can cast Mind Net if that is your intent
1. Yes, basically, but this might qualify as an extended test as he intends to spend at least a few minutes, perhaps as much as an hour, examining it.
2. This is mostly to see if the artifact has some touch effect, but also for a more involved physical examination (all previous examinations took pains to not come in contact with the object and therefore might have had limited access to certain portions of it). This would be a follow on to the physical examination mentioned for step one.
3. Yes, exactly.


Rolls inc:
Assensing Artifact [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239257): 7d6t5 3 - let me know if I can gain any bonus or additional rolls for spending additional time on the examination
Perception on Artifact [Perception 3 + Intuition 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239258): 6d6t5 3 - same as above
Casting Mindnet, Extended (force 1, using centering) [Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239259): 12d6t5 4 Limit is 1
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239260): 13d6t5 3 vs. 2 drain, so no damage taken.


Very nice job on the shopping list. We can retcon the physical credsticks but not the cred transfers because Katsina doesn't have enough to cover the clothes shopping prior to Ace finding his credstick. (And said credstick isn't public knowledge yet.)
I did not account for the cost of clothing at the time. I had 680¥ on my credstick and expected to spend at leat 600¥ of it, so I have no problem giving them the whole thing, but my contribution towards clothing and party shared items will be minor at best. So he would have declined clothing if it wasn't being covered. The discovery of Ace's credstick might change that if Ace is being generous, but the plan really is still for Ohanzee to not leave the house unless fecal matter meets fan, so while a change of clothes would be nice, I don't think it is mission critical for him.

Medkits were on the shopping list too, or resupplies for the current medkits. If the team wants a new medkit then we'll have to pick a rating.
Updating now.


As people hear Ohanzee's suggestion to purchase an MCT Fly-Spy, everyone realizes that they have Pilot Aircraft 0.

Good news: Fly-Spies (or a locally produced competitor) and other non-restricted drones are 20% off due to PCC's position as a market leader in tech and electronics.
Bad news: A Fly-Spy does not have the range to fly 50km round-trip through the mountains in winter weather conditions. Even if it did, the Noise and Static Zone modifiers would be off the charts (10+).
Bleah and double bleah. It could still be useful for things besides Gloria's body and it has a pilot of 3 for 6 dice on its own, so as long as we don't make it do anything tricky, we should be good. But that's up to the folks that have money.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:42:54/12-17-14)
@Zwieblumen, Tecumseh: Not sure how many refills we wanted, so I went with 4. Let me know if that needs to be adjusted.


ETA: Medkit refills.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:46:29/12-17-14)
@Rednblack, go ahead and lose them in the back alleys.

@Malevolence, I'll get an IC response for you later tonight.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:30:13/12-17-14)
we've at least 2 medkits, I'd like two for mine, so that works for me.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:31:51/12-17-14)
@Zweiblumen: Go ahead and continue your hack. Getting slapped with a mark doesn't seem to be earning you any extra attention. Perhaps the commlink owner is otherwise engaged at the moment.

I've been /wifed for the evening.  Gotta put the time in :)  I'll get that post up either late tonight or once I get into the office tomorrow morning.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (21:07:13/12-17-14)
Chino's credstick (or transfer, whatever we retconned to) has 2,300 nuyen on it. Spend as much as necessary, survival is more important than money at this point.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:10:30/12-17-14)
@Poindexter & 8-bit: How's that code coming along?

We've gone over the limited information we have and have come to the conclusion that we ship guns to whoever this "mom" is. We also noticed it's odd that her last message is 5 minutes later than her previous messages. Beyond that, we got nothing.

Utterly fucking stumped here.

I feel like you and Ryo have been hanging this thing in front of my face for weeks now, just waiting for me to notice it and put everything together, but i just aint seein it. From my angle, I've got one light blue puzzle piece here and I've got a limited time to try and tell someone what its a picture of and there will be unknown consequences if/when i get it wrong. I'm frustrated as hell.


I was awful at Myst.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (23:28:01/12-17-14)
@Poindexter & 8-bit: How's that code coming along?

We've gone over the limited information we have and have come to the conclusion that we ship guns to whoever this "mom" is. We also noticed it's odd that her last message is 5 minutes later than her previous messages. Beyond that, we got nothing.

Basically, what Pointdexter said.

I mean, we think we've deciphered the first message from "Frank" (Uncle Sam) to Mom, and maybe half of the first reply from Mom. I mean, we have some ideas, but there's really nothing to match it to for verification on which interpretation is correct. So, 1/6 messages deciphered; new record!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:39:47/12-17-14)
@Poindexter & 8-bit: How's that code coming along?

We've gone over the limited information we have and have come to the conclusion that we ship guns to whoever this "mom" is. We also noticed it's odd that her last message is 5 minutes later than her previous messages. Beyond that, we got nothing.

Basically, what Pointdexter said.

I mean, we think we've deciphered the first message from "Frank" (Uncle Sam) to Mom, and maybe half of the first reply from Mom. I mean, we have some ideas, but there's really nothing to match it to for verification on which interpretation is correct. So, 1/6 messages deciphered; new record!

Really, we didnt decipher anything. We could have learned everything we learned just from Chino's memory.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (00:20:33/12-18-14)
Is Dad and Johnson the same contact (by commlink ID?).


For the most part, it seems like a pretty free-form code. You ask if she got the shipment, disguising it as something innocuous. Flowers, invitation. This last week we didn't ship anything, so even if there is some actual meaning to the word choice, it doesn't matter. The last message seems like something changed. I wonder if the first two shipments were a sort of test before being able to meet the Johnson himself (Dad) and go for the main prize. Or perhaps only the flowers were a shipment, and the invitation was an actual invitation - perhaps to take part in this job.


So, my guess is that Mom won't be expecting to hear from us as she would likely know that we stiffed the Johnson. Or she's dead if she was our go between and the Johnson included her in his vendetta against us. Assuming Mom is actually a she. So, we can at least attempt contact and see if we hear back.


So, the Johnson screwed us. How? Did we not know what the weapon was? Did he infect us? Is payment perhaps blood instead of money in order to slow the infection, similar to what Katsina (and  maybe Ace) was likely doing with the blood in her fridge? Lots of unanswered questions, to be sure.


So, if we do decide to talk to Mom, what do we say? Assuming the code is mostly inferred rather than predetermined, we have to figure out what we want to ask. Maybe "Is Dad mad?" to see if she was party to the current job involving the artifact. And assuming that "Dad" refers to the Johnson.


In essence, regardless of who Mom and Dad are and their relationship to this job, we should decide what we want to say, then just make it oblique.


ETA: Does Gift Shop have a physical address attached?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:04:38/12-18-14)
Did you share the messages with everyone and I just missed that?  (I've said RIH a lot, but I apparently suck at it)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:09:37/12-18-14)
They are on page one of the original IC thread.


ETA link (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17834.msg314666#msg314666).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:52:10/12-18-14)
Dad and the Johnson do not have the same commcode. Upon further investigation, Dad doesn't even have a commcode. He/she/it is listed as being located in Moscow, Russia, but there is little other information to suggest why Dad would even be listed as a contact.

Gift Shop, conversely, has a commcode listed but no physical location.

I wasn't necessarily thinking that you would figure the code out, but nor do I want it to become frustrating and unfun. I was thinking that players would throw some ideas out like Malevolence did, maybe brainstorm a bit and then take a stab at composing a response.

We have in our midst, however, Doc - a Good Will Hunting supergenius. If you like, we can roll a Teamwork test of LOG+WIL. Doc would be the team leader, Ohanzee/Sam/Chino could roll to contribute dice. It may not solve the code but it could give you some direction.

I'll be composing an IC post to cover Katsina's response to Ohanzee plus Ohanzee's investigation of the obelisk.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:10:37/12-18-14)
Code cracking [Log 3 + Wil 6 - Wound 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239370): 8d6t5 1


Heh. Well below average.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:15:09/12-18-14)
Code Cracking Teamwork (Logic 4 + Willpower 5) (http://orokos.com/roll/239372): 9d6t5 2 [5, 6, 2, 2, 4, 3, 4, 1, 2]

Not too great either. Didn't take the extra die from teamwork tests; let's see what I get.

Teamwork Test Bonus (http://orokos.com/roll/239374): 1d6t5 0 [1]

Nope, nothing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:27:47/12-18-14)
Actually, could I use leadership in place of the log+wil roll? It'd add 3 more dice.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:42:44/12-18-14)
Sure. I expect cheer-leading and pompoms though. Roll 3 extra dice.

Working on Ohanzee's post now.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (07:39:14/12-18-14)
Jogging through Aspen does wonders to cleanse one's mind. Ace recommends it.

LOG + WIL (code cracking) (http://orokos.com/roll/239397): 7d6t5 3
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (11:32:00/12-18-14)
Teamwork Logic+Willpower 14 (http://orokos.com/roll/239408): 14d6t5 4
And then I get more dice for each of everyone elses successes?

Hacking rolls/IC coming up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (11:51:21/12-18-14)
Deck configuration:
Signal Scrub; Stealth; Encryption; Agent
Attack: 4; Sleaze: 7(8 ); DP: 5; FW: 6(7)
Not running silently now

HotF *AGAIN* on the human:
Marks on the Human Logic(9)+Hacking(6)+VR(2)+DJ(1)+SS(2)-Noise(3)-Wounds(1) = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/239409): 16d6t5 7 (limit 8 )

If he gets 6 hits, I don't get to any extra info (I'm not worried about the extra info on the orks, just wanted marks on them to keep an eye on it); otherwise I'm going to want to know what devices are slaved to this comm.

Assuming that works, I'm going to spoof command on the car to invite 3 marks forever from me:
Spoof Command Hacking(6) + Intuition(4) + Qualia(1) + VR(2) + DJ(1) + SS(2) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/239410): 12d6t5 3(limit 8 )
Edge that for me if Doc doesn't think that'll work (at least he doesn't have to worry about badluck again!)
If that works, place 3 marks on the car (which gives me marks on the owner, for double backwards upside down hacking!)

Then removing the mark on me:
Erase mark Computer(5)+Logic(9)+VR(2)+DataJack(1)+SignalScrub(2)-Wounds(1)-Noise(3) = 15 (http://orokos.com/roll/239411): 15d6t5 5

Then run silently again.

I'll post IC with the results.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:32:06/12-18-14)
Today was supposed to be quieter at work but so far hasn't worked out that way.

@Rednblack, I think Sam only shared the coded messages with Blue Team. Poindexter can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Ace and Katsina can contribute to the code cracking.

@Zweiblumen, the car can't invite marks because it isn't the owner / it doesn't own itself. Zed or Zed's daddy or some corp that Zed works for is the owner. You can't spoof Zed because he's a persona, so if you want three marks on Zed you'll have to earn them the old fashioned way.

Poindexter can roll his LOG+WIL if he wants, and Mal can roll 3 extra dice for using Leadership instead. Then we'll take the hits and reroll them to see how many successes we add to Doc's 4 hits.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (15:36:17/12-18-14)
will+log (http://orokos.com/roll/239435): 9d6t5 2

Sorry if im a little distant for a little bit here.

Shit's real fucked up on my end at the moment.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:33:58/12-18-14)
And here I thought I was going after his comm, thought he wouldn't have a persona unless he was in VR and given he was running down the street made the assumption that he was in AR.  Do I have that all wrong?  If I can only get marks on the persona, can I use that to find out where his car is with an MP test?  (Just need to find the icon for the car so I can go ahead and start marking that.)

If that works here's my rolls:
MP to find car Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia(1) + VR(2) + SS(2) + DJ(1) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1) = 11 (http://orokos.com/roll/239461): 11d6t5 2
That should get me two questions, one is going to be where is the car icon.
Then I'll remove his mark from me (as I may be getting more and that's the bad), can we use the previous roll?
Next is getting three marks on the car (1 at a time because I'm rolling for shit):
Marks on Car (HotF) Hacking(6) + Logic(9) + VR(2) + SS(2) + DJ(1) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1) = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/239466): 3#16d6t5 7 8 4 (limit 8 )

Pretty confident in the first 2, but if I've a feeling the 3rd one might miss, I'll edge it.

Next is control device telling it to autopilot to the next town.  Dunno if I'll be able to control it after that due to distance/noise, but I'll set an alert so that when those marks of mine reach their destination I'll be alerted.  Also telling the Agent to monitor those marks while in it's overwatch rotation (Ie, ever 3 or 5 turn check on those marks or some such like that).
Control Device EW(6) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia(1) + VR(2) + SS(2) + DJ(1) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1) = 12 (http://orokos.com/roll/239467): 12d6t5 5 (limit 8 )

Is that tactic doable?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:37:41/12-18-14)
Additional Leadership Dice (http://orokos.com/roll/239473): 3d6t5 0


Well, that was useful.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:02:48/12-18-14)
3 3s make a 9 which is a super success right? :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:24:38/12-18-14)
3 3s make a 9 which is a super success right? :P

That's actually a little known rule that was posted in the errata.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:44:18/12-18-14)
Bonus dice for code cracking
Ohanzee: 1
Sam: 2
Chino: 2

Bonus hits from Teamwork: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/239479), so 5 hits total. I'll post some of the conclusions ICly.

@Zweiblumen
A user does not have to be in VR to be a persona. If someone is using the Matrix (even for AR) then they have a persona. The persona overrides the device icon (commlink or cyberdeck) until the user jacks out / reboots.

Just to be a shifty GM, I never said the human had the rating 3 device. That said:

Resisting 7-hit hack-on-the-fly: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/239482), didn't put up much of a fight that time. You now have a mark on the Renraku Sensei. And a bunch of free perception hits.

Resisting 5-hit Erase Mark: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/239483). Now it's putting up a fight. But the mark on Doc's deck is still erased.

You find a Toyota Gopher slaved to the commlink.

Toyota Gopher resisting marks: 1 hit, 1 hit, 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/239484). That was pretty pathetic. 3 quick marks on the Gopher.

Toyota Gopher resisting 5-hit Control Device: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/239486), really back and forth on the resist dice here. Doc succeeds in getting the truck to start autopiloting itself toward the town of Basalt, which is half an hour away. I presume Woody Creek, which is halfway between, is too small to qualify.

Overall the tactic is doable but how long you'll be able to monitor the truck is not certain. You'll reach the 15-minute threshold for your Overwatch Score between then, and rebooting to reset your overwatch score will lose the marks.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:52:51/12-18-14)
IC up with a lot of monologue and hopefully accurate understandings of the pieces of the puzzle.


@Tecumseh - I think that Carbondale was the goal, but if there is something that makes that significantly more difficult than Basalt, then Basalt is fine.


Also, Mindlink gains no benefit from additional hits other than being able to include more people in the shared link. With that in mind, before I roll to cast Mindlink again looking for Ohanzee's old mind, should I be attempting to cast at a higher force? The IC seemed to indicate that it might help, but it might have just been fluff, so I want to be sure.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:18:35/12-18-14)
Telling the truck to go to Carbondale or Boise or Seattle isn't a problem, but Zweiblumen said "next town" and that's Basalt.

@Zweiblumen, you can post your IC results however you see fit.

@Mal, the IC was mostly fluff. You're right that casting at a higher force doesn't have any benefit in this case as you don't need more people involved nor a larger target area. You can roll Perception to try to single out a "voice" but it will be -1 net (+3 for specifically listening but -2 for distracted and -2 for interfering noise).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:30:36/12-18-14)
Casting Mindnet, Extended (force 1, using centering) [Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239494): 12d6t5 3
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239495): 13d6t5 7 - Holy Baby Jebus!
Listening for "my mind" [Perception 3 + Intuition 4 + Specifically Listening 3 - Distracted 2 - Interfering Noise 2 - Sustaining 2 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239496): 3d6t5 2
Very nice roll. I added an additional -2 for sustaining, leaving me with only 3 dice on the perception test, so 2 hits is pretty good. Let's hope it doesn't have a high threshold...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:45:29/12-18-14)
If Ohanzee were trying to listen to a conversation in the room I would ask for the -2 sustaining modifier, but since the listening is part of the spell you don't need to use it. Here are two extra dice: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/239499), 3 hits total. IC incoming.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:53:30/12-18-14)
I'm on phone and power out at house so a beefier IC post will have to be forthcoming.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:03:49/12-18-14)

<<@Ohanzee, Team [Ace] Or we were sent to destroy "something" and realized that would be a bad idea once we laid eyes on it. I think that would sour things with the Johnson. >>

>>Or we came with the bomb already built. Maybe we were supposed to destroy it on site and once we laid eyes on it we realized that would be suicide, and that precipitated the call to the Johnson. But how could we have been surprised by the artifact if we knew enough about it in advance to build the bomb meant to destroy it?


Just clarifying - I know you are on a phone and I typed a BUNCH of stuff so no sweat missing it, but just wanted to let you know in case you want to change that IC.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:04:16/12-18-14)
Sorry, I miss-typed and was being lazy about looking up the town Mal wanted me to send the car too.  The intent was to send it there.  Is that still okay?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:05:09/12-18-14)
Sure, just put it in your IC write-up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:10:29/12-18-14)

<<@Ohanzee, Team [Ace] Or we were sent to destroy "something" and realized that would be a bad idea once we laid eyes on it. I think that would sour things with the Johnson. >>

>>Or we came with the bomb already built. Maybe we were supposed to destroy it on site and once we laid eyes on it we realized that would be suicide, and that precipitated the call to the Johnson. But how could we have been surprised by the artifact if we knew enough about it in advance to build the bomb meant to destroy it?


Just clarifying - I know you are on a phone and I typed a BUNCH of stuff so no sweat missing it, but just wanted to let you know in case you want to change that IC.


I did indeed miss at least part of that. What is IC knowledge about the bomb that Sam made, other than the fact that it was made for the obelisk?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:12:35/12-18-14)
Don't strain yourselves too much to get things 100% right at this point, which you may not have the IC or OOC knowledge for yet. Poindexter will likely chime in and provide clarification on certain points.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:24:03/12-18-14)
I'm wondering if the device was built to specs or was designed by Sam for the purpose of blowing up the obelisk. I think I remember a discussion before that said he designed it with input fr the awakened chars. A
If that's the case then it's far less likely that the team didn't know they were getting into as far as destroying. The obelisk, but if it's the former we very well may have decided against destroying it.

If Katsina and Ohanzee are not exaggerating the potential damage if destroying it, then we were either some stone cold evil motherfuckers before we lost our memories, or there is something truly powerful that's our target. Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm going to delete my IC for now, and will try to post when the power comes back on.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:27:39/12-18-14)
Not to ruin what might be a potentially interesting misunderstanding, but I don't remember where the "with input from the Awakened characters" concept came from ICly. I'm guessing Ohanzee or Sam but I don't recall where they got the notion from. I don't think it was me.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:34:00/12-18-14)
Re: hacked car destination - Chances are that it doesn't matter - he's likely to notice that car missing long before it gets to Carbondale, but hopefully that will still work for us.


Ohanzee wants to take this new knowledge - that the device seems to eat minds, souls, whatever, and see if he is familiar with any artifacts that might do that.
Magical Artifacts [Log 3 + Magical Artifacts 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/239503): 6d6t5 0
Critical Glitch! Sweet!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:40:46/12-18-14)
Not to ruin what might be a potentially interesting misunderstanding, but I don't remember where the "with input from the Awakened characters" concept came from ICly. I'm guessing Ohanzee or Sam but I don't recall where they got the notion from. I don't think it was me.
Here. (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg336249#msg336249)


Sam hesitates for a moment, then remembers an old saying. In for a penny, in for a pound. He has no idea what pennies or pounds are, but he understands the meaning of the phrase. He sets his micro-transceiver to broadcast only to Chino."I have in my possession a bomb that is too powerful and too specific in nature to have any purpose other than the destruction of that object. It is also too complicated in construction for me to have built it without the knowledge of the rest of the team. Despite it's complexity, I get the distinct impression I built it on the fly. All these things considered lead me to believe that, despite its seeming importance, our plan was to destroy it." While Chino is letting all of that process, another message comes in over the comm.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:43:24/12-18-14)
Of course, I'm just now noticing the "built it on the fly" part, so chances are we didn't bring it with us. This could preclude my assumption about the intent to use it as a WMD. Of course, that was why I had Raven promote that line of thought, in case I was wrong.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (21:05:38/12-18-14)
That's it. Thanks Mal
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:10:01/12-18-14)
Of course, it could have been a critical glitch on his demolitions roll to determine the purpose of the bomb. But It's best not to think about that and stick with IC knowledge.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (21:34:23/12-18-14)
I think there might be some confusion around phrasing. I think what he meant was "without the rest of the team knowing about it  (i.e. not in secret)" rather than "with the help and the expertise of the team".
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (21:38:01/12-18-14)
I thought it was just with the permission of the team?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (10:30:27/12-19-14)
I think there might be some confusion around phrasing. I think what he meant was "without the rest of the team knowing about it  (i.e. not in secret)" rather than "with the help and the expertise of the team".

you are correct in your assumption.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (11:24:27/12-19-14)
I think there might be some confusion around phrasing. I think what he meant was "without the rest of the team knowing about it  (i.e. not in secret)" rather than "with the help and the expertise of the team".

you are correct in your assumption.

Well, that changes things somewhat for my OOC thinking.  Hmmmm.

ETA: what kinds of sporting rifles and ammunition are available at Hamilton's?  Also, does Ace have an idea of what kind of system his SIN would be up against should he choose to purchase a firearm over the other sundries?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:24:27/12-19-14)
Okay. I now have these three pieces of information that I missed before that completely change the picture:


1. The bomb is removable by Sam easily, but would be near impossible by anyone else. It also has a 1 hour timer
2. It was assembled hastily
3. It did not take input from the rest of the party, but was obvious enough that the rest of the party at least knew what was going on.


I have another question or two - was the bomb specifically tailored to the artifact or just the crate that the artifact was in? Was there any evidence that we may have opened the crate previous to our loss of memory?


I'm going to have a tremendous amount of editing to do on my IC, or I just have to roll with it - retcon or chalk it in game up to the same misunderstanding I had out of game. Any suggestions on how to proceed IC?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (13:38:53/12-19-14)
I have another question or two - was the bomb specifically tailored to the artifact or just the crate that the artifact was in? Was there any evidence that we may have opened the crate previous to our loss of memory?

1- Due to the nature of the bomb, i believe it was specifically built with this obelisk in mind.
2- No evidence, but its reasonable. It wasn't locked or anything and it was just wood.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:42:02/12-19-14)
@Mal, I wouldn't retcon. I'd chalk it up to IC communication issues and move forward.

The two additional questions are very pertinent. They both have IC answers. Sam knows the answer to the first (which Poindexter just posted OOCly). There are IC clues to the second from when Ohanzee examined the obelisk in the van on the way to Aspen.

@rednblack
Sporting Rifles
Remington 950
Ruger 100
There are many other sporting rifles in Gun H(e)aven 3, which I don't have yet. It's possible that some of those could be available.
Prices are 10% lower than book price.

Available ammo includes regular rounds, flechette, and frangible. PCC cracks down hard on exotic forms of ammunition, but anything for hunting is generally acceptable.

Katsina will remind Ace about the Pioneer 60 back at the house when I have a chance to post ICly, which may be a few hours. This may (or may not) have ownership issues associated with it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:45:59/12-19-14)
Doc just posted some musing he's privvy to about the bomb IC.  Dunno if that helps or hurts :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:49:56/12-19-14)
@Katsina, Re: ownership issues, can Doc just Dataspike any RFIDs?  I know the weapon won't then be Ace's, or anyone on the team's, but will that stop someone from tracking it via chips?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:52:25/12-19-14)
With those three pieces of info, my new take on the timeline pre-amnesia:


First, this timeline:
Before 10pm - We run into a problem that the Johnson failed to mention, we suspected intentionally. Blue Team may be unaware of this info as the conversation with the Johnson might not have been shared with them
10pm - Sam renegotiates with Johnson and fails. Probably the point at which the plan involving the bomb is conceived. Again, Blue team likely unaware of the details here
12am - we wake up in the van, memories wiped clean, bomb unused.


Thoughts:
We were hired to retrieve the artifact. It is unknown whether we knew what it was or not. It sounds like we did not - probably promised a milk run and realized that stealing such a powerful artifact would piss off a number of people.
We discovered what we had in our possession and that we had been misled, potentially fatally.
We devised a scheme to get our money and get out safely:
 a. Just before meetup (probably at a new location chosen by us), attach bomb. If they don't pay, artifact goes boom. If they kill us, artifact goes boom.
 b. Blast radius is such that we can be allowed to take our money and leave the meeting site (ensuring our safety) before disabling it since we would be unlikely to get far enough away to survive if we didn't honor our word to not detonate
We activate the artifact - accidentally most likely - and it knocks us unconscious and takes our memories. Chances are it won't trigger for us again since it already has our true selves (souls). Crash ensues. The activation might have been during the attaching of the bomb.


Which brings me to another question - was the bomb loose in the van or still stored in Sam's bag of tricks? If it was loose then that strengthens the argument that we activated the artifact while attaching it, which would then mean that we were within an hour of our planned meet-up.


OOC knowledge:
Red and Blue team were likely not working together as we had not synchronized our radio communications. Also, Katsina had been using her influence spell on Ohanzee at least, perhaps others. With our memories wiped, that becomes mostly irrelevant other than attempting to rebuild the timeline. In other words, our plans may have changed mid-mission as a result of Blue Team's influence. In fact, Sam's anger might not be attributed so much to our discovering something new about the mission as much as an implanted distrust.


Oh, how I wish Grimwulf had used Assensing in the early moments after the team awakened...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:59:55/12-19-14)
I'm going to be AFK for a few hours (company Christmas party), but I'll IC when I get back with Ohanzee cursing his faith in Raven and thinking maybe he took a bigger hit to the noggin than he realized. Then he'll go from there, probably outlining the same info IC as I have mentioned OOC, taking into account anything else that comes to mind as I move Tabula Rasa to my subconscious.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:07:44/12-19-14)
@Tecumseh:  Once the Gopher is on it's way Doc is going to TraceIcon
TraceIcon Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia(5) + VR(2) +(noise/noise cancel) 0 - Wounds = 11 (http://orokos.com/roll/239710): 11d6t5 4 (limit 5)
With no sleaze, unlikely the 4 hits won't be good.  Then I'll keep an eye on my OS and track the car.  Hopefully I'll be able to crash it :P

Once the TraceIcon is done I'm going to switch out Stealth for BabyMonitor and reconfigure to A:4 S:5 DP:6 FW:7(8 ) BabyMonitor, SignalScrub, Encryption, Agent
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:45:54/12-19-14)
@rednblack
The Pioneer 60 doesn't have any accessories nor any wireless capabilities. In theory it won't report you if you go using it without the owner's permission. In theory, communism works.

So they good news is that it's (probably) free and available without a SIN check. The bad news is that it's not as good as the Ruger or the Remington.

I forgot to answer your other question about what kind of SIN check would be necessary. Let's roll your corporate security knowledge skill: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/239730), pretty good.

Under normal circumstances, Ace would expect this check to be done by a rating 4 device. However, PCC is big on tech and that makes it more likely that the check will be done by a rating 5 device, both because the verification machines/procedures are less expensive here and also because the PCC is unamused by illegal weapons and is actually good about doing something about it. But the flip side of THAT is that this is Aspen. They don't expect gutterpunks in this part of the country. 99% of the customers in Aspen are going to be (non-criminal) SINners, so maybe the SIN check is a lower rating since it's going to be such a basic formality for almost everyone. That's Ace's take.

@Malevolence
Lots of good theories there. Nice job outlining things.

Sam's homemade mischief was stored in his bag of tricks. It was not loose when the team woke up.

One question though: where is the OOC knowledge from that Katsina had been using her Influence spell? Not saying if it's true or false, but I don't remember that coming up OOCly or ICly.

@Team
As a reminder, the game will be slowing down next week for the holidays. I will be driving all day tomorrow and will have limited Internet access the rest of the time. I might be on a tablet, so posts may be shorter than usual and I might be asking you to do more rules look-ups and dice rolling. I'll be visiting my in-laws, who are mostly athletically-inclined people who make suboptimal life decisions.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:15:26/12-19-14)
@Tecumseh:
From here (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17834.msg314796#msg314796).

Quote
The Masked Woman turns her astral perception towards the dwarf as he trudges out into the snow, seeing the vibrancy in his aura and recognizing it as Awakened immediately. She sees he has Essence 6, Magic 6, and is completely unaugmented. He has a Force 2 Power Focus bound to him, which he wears around his neck. He's in fairly strong health, and his emotional state is fearful, and worried. She notices he has an astral signature on him from a health spell that has been fading for a few hours, and sees it is his own. She also sees an astral signature from a high force manipulation spell, also having had several hours to start fading away. This astral signature she recognizes as her own.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:25:21/12-19-14)
I didn't remember that it had been mentioned. Cool. Thanks for the reference.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:55:38/12-19-14)
IC up. The separating line is to indicate discontinuity, allowing either part to be responded to without having to break the flow of either of them.


ETA: I accidentally deleted my other post asking about Katsina seeing the obelisk's aura when they awoke in the van. I was editing to note that I had found the reference IC  (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg332595#msg332595)(not the original post where Katsina actually saw it, but where Katsina mentions it prior to her response to Ohanzee's Raven induced theories).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (21:10:27/12-19-14)
Yes, it was in a PM from Ryo.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:42:31/12-20-14)
Basically, in IC Ohanzee is saying to hack a traffic camera or whatever is easy to get visuals. See what gear they have via Matrix Perception, but don't try marking any of their stuff.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:06:51/12-20-14)
Just to make sure we are all on the same page in IC:


Of Blue team, only doc is aware of the apartment building, but not of its significance - just that Ace and Katsina were near it and there were unfriendlies, also of an unknown nature.
Blue team is not aware of the contents of the fridge
Blue team has been made aware of Ace's new funds - though only as a "change in financial situation", which could be interpreted as a for better or worse. It might be interpreted as better as he offers to help pay for stuff, but only low cost stuff.
Blue team has been made aware of the new threat that pinged Katsina's Detect Enemies spell


Red team is unaware of the exact content of Sam's conversations with the Johnson, but is aware that some communication took place that was not good
Red team is unaware of Mom and Dad in their entirety (I'm not sure on this, but I think that it is the case)


I think that other than Ohanzee, no one has shared any contact information with the team, and at that only Gloria. I think that Katsina might have mentioned her prior association with APB and Ace, but I'd have to dig to find out. Additionally, all aliases are shared I think, at least  in name, but to my knowledge, details like comm code and home addresses, etc, are not shared.


I bring these to light just to make sure that they are being intentionally hidden from certain team members and not just overlooked. It also helps clarify how we might be responding - like Doc should probably be curious as to why these people were attacking Ace and Kat and Ohanzee at the least should be asking if Ace was mugged or robbed as that seems more likely to account for a change in finances than suddenly coming into significant nuyen.


There are others I'm sure, but these were just the current and active items.


One other thing - I believe we kept APB's commlink? I think it might be time to look into that. Once it is confirmed that we do have it, I'll bring it up IC.


EDIT: Fixed team colors
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (18:15:35/12-20-14)
Red team
Blue team

Unless you guy's switched it during my absence, it sounds like you're mixing up the teams.

Red Team
Ace
APB
Katsina

Blue Team
Uncle Sam
Ohanzee
Doc
Chino
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:00:30/12-20-14)
That's what I had thought, but when we started the new thread a post from the old thread was referenced and the colors changed. I had it the other way in my notes, but just went with the flow and updated my notes with the new colors.

ETA: nope, I just went through this thread and it turns out I did choke it on the colors.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (21:07:39/12-20-14)
Just to make sure we are all on the same page in IC:

Blue team is unaware of the exact content of Sam's conversations with the Johnson, but is aware that some communication took place that was not good

Sam copied and forwarded the entire contents of his commlink to everyone on blue team before we found the house last night, but after we took down the helicopter.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (21:58:48/12-20-14)
Just to make sure we are all on the same page in IC:

Blue team is unaware of the exact content of Sam's conversations with the Johnson, but is aware that some communication took place that was not good

Sam copied and forwarded the entire contents of his commlink to everyone on blue team before we found the house last night, but after we took down the helicopter.

So Ace could have taken part in the teamwork test?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:15:49/12-20-14)
Feels to me like we are crossing color references again.  Poindexter, can you list the people included on that list?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (22:16:16/12-20-14)
Just to make sure we are all on the same page in IC:

Blue team is unaware of the exact content of Sam's conversations with the Johnson, but is aware that some communication took place that was not good

Sam copied and forwarded the entire contents of his commlink to everyone on blue team before we found the house last night, but after we took down the helicopter.

So Ace could have taken part in the teamwork test?

no.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (22:28:24/12-20-14)
Just to make sure we are all on the same page in IC:

Blue team is unaware of the exact content of Sam's conversations with the Johnson, but is aware that some communication took place that was not good

Sam copied and forwarded the entire contents of his commlink to everyone on blue team before we found the house last night, but after we took down the helicopter.

So Ace could have taken part in the teamwork test?

no.

Ok so shared with new blue team not og blue team. Got it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:15:21/12-21-14)
Blue Team has always been Sam, Chino, Doc, and Ohanzee. Poindexter did the naming:

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17834.msg316943;topicseen#msg316943

Ace and Katsina do not know the contents of Sam's comm, nor that there is a code cracking in progress.

I think Mal's summary of the situation is generally correct if you swap the team colors.

I vaguely recall someone going over APB's body. I think Katsina took back the things she had given APB (a light pistol and ammo, which are still available for anyone who wants them). It is entirely reasonable that APB's commlink came along with that. I will say it is available for cracking.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (02:28:52/12-21-14)
What's our ammo situation? If anyone wants any non-APDS speak now and Ace is buying.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:31:44/12-21-14)
What's our ammo situation? If anyone wants any non-APDS speak now and Ace is buying.

What is ammunition? Chino has no guns  :)

Not sure whether that's bad or just not good?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (02:56:59/12-21-14)
Fixed team colors in my post. Though I get the feeling that the post itself should probably be vanished.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (04:52:46/12-21-14)
What's our ammo situation? If anyone wants any non-APDS speak now and Ace is buying.

What is ammunition? Chino has no guns  :)

Not sure whether that's bad or just not good?

I thought about buying Chino a gun as a just in case, but then I saw that he'd be throwing 3 dice.  Yikes.  Probably safer for everyone if he stays far away from anything with a trigger.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (10:07:37/12-21-14)
Get him a gun anyways. The guy he's pointing it at doesn't know how many dice he has.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (11:48:29/12-21-14)
I've got a second clip of flachettes for my shotgun, but could use some slugs. One box for me should be good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (11:59:18/12-21-14)
As far as Sams ammo order goes, just grab me whatever ammo you can get for an assault rifle, the armor punchier the better, but he'll take whatever. If you can turn up any minigrenades that do dmg, that would be nice, but whatever.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (12:04:07/12-21-14)
Get him a gun anyways. The guy he's pointing it at doesn't know how many dice he has.
That's what Ohanzee's gun is for. I mean, he has a few more dice for it, but I can't see him being all that effective with it. Of course, if he does hit, it'll sting some.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:52:17/12-21-14)
There's something to be said for holding a gun so that you don't look like someone who doesn't need to be holding a gun, like a mage or a technomancer. Chino can have APB's Beretta 201T (loaded with explosive ammo) if he wants something to wave around. It also has 2 clips of regular ammo to go with it.

The team also pinched 3 clips of stick-n-shock shotgun ammo off the poachers. Doc can have this.

The sporting goods store only has ammunition for shotguns and hunting/sporting rifles. (The Remington and the Ruger, despite being listed as sniper rifles, are sporting rifles.) Only regular rounds and flechette rounds are available. This is a family-friendly shop in a glossy town which caters to fancy pants corpers. Minigrenades are sadly absent.

Because the coded message is sent from Sam's commlink, it is ultimately his decision whether to send anything or not. (Unless Doc hacks it and does it for him.) I will leave some time for the rest of Team Blue to register their approval or objections to his current plan of sending nothing. If Poindexter is feeling like Sam can't be persuaded on the subject then we'll move forward.

Per an earlier post, when Sam muses whether he knows how to fly a plan he realizes that he does not. Everyone has Pilot Aircraft 0.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (10:48:51/12-22-14)
So no ammo for Sam at Hamilton?  5.56 is a popular varminting round if that changes anything, but I'm guessing no.  IC coming up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:33:50/12-22-14)
I have some rolls to make (stealth, astral perception x 2) but I have to go right now, so I'll get to them in about 3 hours.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:31:33/12-22-14)
Sneaking Astrally [Sneaking 3 + Logic 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/240463): 5d6t5 0
No love on the sneak. I hope Raven is having better luck than I keeping our pursuers at bay.
Assensing our cabin, Sam's residence surroundings, Sam's residence Interior [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/240464): 3#7d6t5 1 3 2
In the order listed in the roll. Decided to look around our physical location before I headed out as part of my astral overwatch.


Let  me know if I can add dice to any of those perception rolls as I am specifically looking for pursuers/scouts, guards/surveillance, and signs of Sam being infected while living here (assuming he was living here), for the rolls in that order, so I might qualify for the "Specifically Looking" bonus on those.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (21:49:34/12-22-14)
Go ahead and roll +3 for the Astral perception tests, which we will add to those rolls.

You may want to Edge that Sneaking roll.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (22:08:57/12-22-14)
Sadly, I'm all out of Edge.
Astral Perception extra dice (http://orokos.com/roll/240466): 3#3d6t5 2 2 0
But the perception rolls wen't pretty well (Final result 3, 5, and 2). Except inside Sam's place. :(
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:18:20/12-22-14)
Indeed you are out of Edge. This should be interesting.

IC post is up. As mentioned, there are two F6 air spirits outside along with two watchers.

Spirit perception rolls
Intuition 6 + Assensing/Perception 6 - 7 Concealment: 2 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4744123/), for teamwork
Intuition 6 + Assensing/Perception 6 + Teamwork 2 - 7 Concealment: 3 hits (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4744123/), Ohanzee spotted

Spirits are moving to engage. Initiative rolls:
Eagle: 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4744160/)
Owl: 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4744160/)

Ohanzee can retreat if he wishes. The spirits will be able to track you but it will take at least an hour for them to identify the physical location of Ohanzee's body (where it is currently, not where it is in an hour, unless he's still projecting).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:16:54/12-23-14)
Would Doc have time to do the investigation of the people Katsina and Ace are talking about?  If so, I'll take a stab at doing a little looksy.  I'd get just outside of 100m running silently, and check to see if there are any other silently running icons in the area, if there *is* then I'll just wander close enough to check out the area and then head back.

Lemme know and I'll roll 5-10 MP checks depending on how long I think I could legitimately be there.  Again with the 'if' this is what my configuration will be:

Agent; Encryption; Toolbox; Baby Monitor
A:4 S:5  D:6(7) F:7(8 )

Also, I need to know what's going on with the Gopher, and what my OS score is :(
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (00:22:29/12-23-14)
Well, since I have Astral Combat 0 (can't be used untrained) and no Mana based combat spells, yeah, I think I'm gonna bug out. Best I can do is summon one Force 6 spirit vs. 2 and maybe hope Katsina could get here in time to turn the tide. It's a bummer that we never made a temporary lodge - that'd make finding my body significantly more difficult.


Out of curiosity, as spirits of air, they shouldn't attack me - very few traditions have them as combat spirits. Is there a check I could make to determine if they are simply moving in to try to locate my physical body or if they do intend me harm? Not that I'd have more than a CT or so before the owner(s) of those watcher spirits showed up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:20:29/12-23-14)
Initiative, as it will likely be relevant:
Astral Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/240518): 3d6+8 23
It'll do. Eagle acts first as he has 3 Edge to my 2.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:50:13/12-23-14)
@Malevolence
Ohanzee, reflecting on his situation, remembers that he has Astral Combat 5.

The Buddhist tradition has air spirits as combat spirits, which isn't to say that's what these are. Eagle and Ohanzee act simultaneously. There aren't any rules for an astral chase sequence. Astral speed is basically the speed of thought; the question is whether the first person can think themselves away faster than the second person can think their pursuit.

@Zweiblumen
Yes, you have enough time to do your investigation of the people Katsina is talking about.

You're probably 5 minutes into the 15 minute threshold before your Overwatch Score increases. Your current score is 21.

The Gopher is 5 minutes into its drive. It hasn't been stopped yet. It's just now reaching the town limits of Aspen, heading N-NW on Highway 82.

Go ahead and roll the Matrix Perception tests. Do 10 and we'll use as many as we need.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:22:18/12-23-14)
Not sure if I need to be running silently or not (if there's enough traffic for me to not raise suspicion either way), so here's 10 of each :P
Lemme know if I'm wrong about the noise, but I assumed it was the same distance radius as other things in Aspen are from me.

Matrix Perception Computers(5)+Intution(4)+Qualia(1)+VR(2)+DataJack(1)+SignalScrub(2)-Silent(2)-Wounds(1)-Noise(3)=11 (http://orokos.com/roll/240592): 10#11d6t5 4 3 4 2 3 4 3 4 4 3 (limit 7) (5th roll is a glitch)

 Matrix Perception Computers(5)+Intution(4)+Qualia(1)+VR(2)+DataJack(1)+SignalScrub(2)-Wounds(1)-Noise(3)=13 (http://orokos.com/roll/240594): 10#13d6t5 6 2 6 7 3 2 5 6 4 4 (limit 7)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:00:12/12-23-14)
Summon Spirit of Beasts (Force 6)  [Magic 6 + Summoning 6 + Focus 2 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/240603): 13d6t5 6
Spirit of Beasts Resist [Force 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/240604): 6d6t5 3
Resist Drain (Spirit Hits x 2 = 6) [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/240605): 11d6t5 4
I take 2 stun. I have 3 services. Optional powers are Natural Weapon and Guard.


Beast spirits blow for combat (and most other things for that matter). I was thinking of taking Noxious Breath, but the spirit doesn't even have the Exotic Ranged Weapon skill to use it. What retarded nonsense is that? Hermetic gets fire, quite possibly the best combat spirit there is aside from Guardian spirits (Oh. My. God. Those are amazing). So, yeah, I'm support. I might actually be better off summoning a spirit towards that end, but we'll start here.


First service: guard us.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:53:53/12-23-14)
@Zweiblumen
There are lots of other icons in the area. Cars, pedestrians with PANs, business and their hosts, etc.

You don't detect anyone else running silent from 125m out. Are you going to approach closer and then peek again?

Also, don't forget your Codeslinger (Matrix Perception) quality. Please let me know what your agent is up to as well.

In the interests of keeping the IC sequence (roughly) together, I may continue this investigation with you via PM so that the rest of the team can be engaged with Ohanzee's revelation. You will likely be needed to hack a vehicle in the OOC thread in the near future.

@Malevolence
Beast spirits don't appear to have a skill to use their Noxious Breath power, which seems like an oversight. We'll give them the Exotic Ranged Weapon skill so that it's not a power without a purpose.

My instinct says that retreat is easier on the astral than pursuit - if only because the one in the lead knows where he is going while the ones following need to perceive before they advance - so Ohaznee can get away without leading two spirits straight back to the cabin with him. Although I guess that would be fun too.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:48:17/12-23-14)
Getting spotted astrally gives your physical location?  I thought that the mage had to actually know where his/her body was to get back to it, thus the problem of getting 'pranked' by their 'friends' when they move his/her body on them.

As for vehicles, lets steal the RV and just move on.  It's a shame we didn't get to actually rest.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:55:23/12-23-14)
Getting spotted astrally gives your physical location?  I thought that the mage had to actually know where his/her body was to get back to it, thus the problem of getting 'pranked' by their 'friends' when they move his/her body on them.

As for vehicles, lets steal the RV and just move on.  It's a shame we didn't get to actually rest.

Also, don't mages meet in the astral sometimes for added security, as they're not going away their meatspace location? Or did I somehow make that up?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:59:21/12-23-14)
Getting spotted astrally means that the projecting magician can be traced back to his location by astral tracking (p. 315). The interval for this extended test is an hour, which is why Ohanzee says that the house will have company in 1 hour, maybe 2. So they don't have Ohanzee's physical location now, but they will soon know about the cabin. They won't have Ohanzee's new location (where he is an hour from now) unless they use spirits with the Search power or some other technique, like ritual spellcasting.

Resting is still possible for Doc. Ohaznee will have to rest off some stun damage before he can resume his physical healing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:01:54/12-23-14)
Much like the trace icon matrix action, the physical location can be traced but is not immediately known. Hence why we have about an hour before they find us and spirits start materializing to wreak havoc.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:33:54/12-23-14)
The extended test is Assensing + Intuiton [5, 1 hour]. I'm assuming that only the two spirits that actually saw me can participate, which if teamwork is allowed, is 12 dice = 4 successes for the teamwork, then 16 dice for the actual test, which averages 5 hits. So, 1 hour unless they roll below average.


Once they know where we were, they can then use the search power, which is a Magic + Intuition [5, 10 minutes] extended test.  The threshold goes up by one for each kilometer we can place between us and them, making distance essential. I could reduce their dice pool by having another spirit use concealment, which might be the better way to go - assuming the same 2 spirits (the summoners don't have the Search power and so can't help, but if they have more mages or bound spirits, the number of assistants for the teamwork test can get pretty large) and concealment 6, that's 8 dice (12 base -6 concealment +2 from teamwork) to start, meaning 36 dice total, though the last few rolls are likely to glitch, so maybe about 30 dice. That means they average 10 hits, so base 5 + 5 kilometers would give us even odds of escaping. Without the concealment that's 78 dice - or 72 effective - for an average of 24 hits, needing 19 kilometers for even odds. And since it is 10 minute increments, our distance can increase for each test. 20 Kilometers is not that much to hope for in about 30 minutes (giving us time to pack and commandeer the RV) if the weather holds.


That brings us to the question of where to go.


@Tecumseh - I'm not familiar with the rules for the Movement power. Since my manipulation spirit is Man, I'm assuming he's the only one that I could have use the Movement power. What would be his domain? Roads? Anything in a city? Could I use the air spirit's Movement power anyway?
What I really need to know is could I use spirits to get us airborne and/or allow us to move faster or safely off road?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:14:26/12-24-14)
Malevolence's summary of the situation and the math is largely correct.

The summoner of the air spirits can contribute to the astral tracking because of the spirit-summoner link. The spirit can convey Ohanzee's astral signature to a sufficient degree for the summoner to help track him.

The rule from Street Grimoire about spirits not responding to tasks outside the general area of their tradition is interesting, but it presented in such a offhanded manner (two sentences, mid-paragraph) for such an important rule that it is hard to take it completely literally. I'm going to say that as long as the principle purpose of the spirit (say, its initial/primary task) falls within the spirit's tradition then it can also be employed for tasks which aren't strictly part of its tradition. For example, if Ohanzee summons an Earth spirit (a health spirit for shamans) to use it for the Guard power, then the same spirit can be used to defend Ohanzee in combat (perhaps in the name of protecting Ohanzee's "health") even if it's not a combat spirit. It could also be used to pick up something heavy, because it's an earth spirit and that's what they're good for, even if a strict reading would put that under the manipulation category. So, long story short, I'm going to be reasonably liberal with this.

As for the movement power, that would be Manipulation, yes. A spirit of man's domain could includes cities, roads (which are man-made), or vehicles (also man-made). So it might not be able to help if you're jogging through the forest on foot, but in many other instances you'll be covered. An air spirit's movement power would be more restricted and would likely only cover flight, not ground transportation (which would fall under the domain of earth spirits).

There are no spirit powers that will get you airborne. Spirits may fly and a strong spirit may carry an individual, but nothing is going to get the whole party off the ground.

The Movement power is a dynamite way to hit record speeds on a highway. However, do note that the Ford-Canada Buffalo has Body 16. That means the spirit needs to meet a threshold of 8 for it to improve the RV's speed. Not impossible, but challenging for a F6 spirit (~2% of the time, rolling 12 dice). And whether this accelerates the RV to a speed sufficient to outrun a faster pursuit vehicle will take some math.

It's also a good idea to pair the Movement power with the Guard power so that you don't slide off an icy mountain road. There are also other constraints that come from piloting a fast-moving vehicle through town or down a two-lane highway with weekend traffic during busy season.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:30:49/12-24-14)
What me to roll for stealing the RV here or do you want to do that through pm also?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Ryo on (00:37:10/12-24-14)
Tecumseh, I would highly recommend you house rule the way Movement works in regards to vehicles, if the group ends up attempting such a thing. By rules as written, you take the hits (not net hits), multiply them by the vehicle's Acceleration, and add the result to the Speed. I haven't seen the Buffalo in 5th edition, but even if it has Speed 1 Acceleration 1, a successful use of Movement (8 hits) will at a minimum bring it up to Speed 9. That's 1,908 mph running speed, which is in excess of Mach 2.

The problem with Movement is that they copy/pasted it from an earlier edition, back when Speed was an actual measurement of meters per turn. Now it's a flat number, which increases exponentially. According to the table on page 202, each rating of Speed is double the rating below it. Speed 5 is twice as fast as Speed 4, which is twice Speed 3, etc.

I've done the math for shits and giggles. Thanks to the exponential increase, and multiplying by Acceleration, it's totally possible with a sufficiently good roll to use Movement and take a GMC Banshee to Alpha Centauri in a single combat turn.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:46:42/12-24-14)
We can do that here. You don't see the icon for the RV so you presume it is slaved to the host of the house. Per your earlier recon (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg333643;topicseen#msg333643), you know that the host rating of the house is 4 and its Firewall is 7. If that is sounding too daunting, someone could just go lockpick the RV (likely Ace) and hotwire it manually or via direct connection. Or, on that note, you could also do a direct connection to the maglock on the door too. Or you could bust down the front door and steal the keys/commlink from the older couple there.

Ryo brings up a good point. It seems that if you put some wings on the RV the you might be able to get it airborne after all. I stand corrected.

I'll consider appropriate ways to houserule it if we get to that stage.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (00:59:33/12-24-14)
The amount of hits required makes such a thing impractical, to say the least. My general thought was instead of heading north or south, to head down. We're at the top of a bunch of ski runs, so there are paths, but I'm guessing very few of us know how to ski. Hence the curiosity about what options spirits might open up.

Once at the bottom, we'd then have to either climb another slope to the east or west (depending on our direction of travel) or follow a ravine to an exit. Neither option is likely to include roads, so a spirit of man using movement would not help. But a spirit of earth could make that a viable option.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:21:25/12-24-14)
I'd be down for going with Ace and Chino to the RV and getting us direct connections if we want to go that route.  Don't know if I've got any sneak, but if I do, we can sneak in.  Ace picks the lock, and I get hack the vehicle.

And I can't spoof anything to get the device to invite marks right?  I have to be the owner for that, which will take me several hours even using a bunch of edge.  If we want the RV badly enough, could I burn a point of edge for "Smackdown" on this?  The rules on page 57 don't say anything about extended tests, just actions.  I'm kinda loathe to burn edge, but if it's the best thing to do I can.  I'd love input.

Alternatively, we can hotwire it the old fashion way and I can work on stealing ownership while we're on the move.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:11:59/12-24-14)
And I can't spoof anything to get the device to invite marks right?  I have to be the owner for that, which will take me several hours even using a bunch of edge.  If we want the RV badly enough, could I burn a point of edge for "Smackdown" on this?  The rules on page 57 don't say anything about extended tests, just actions.  I'm kinda loathe to burn edge, but if it's the best thing to do I can.  I'd love input.

Actually, if you have a Mark on the owner you can spoof command. Which, I don't think is possible since the Owner device/persona isn't around. If I'm not forgetting anything.

I would also hesitate on burning Edge, if Chino and Ace can get to the RV, you can just directly connect and get 3 Marks for Control Device; quickly, I might add.



Also, my apologies on being really quiet, and kind of away for a while. Been stumped and not feeling very creative; while Christmas has kept me busy and all. I'll see what I can do for IC.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (03:00:28/12-24-14)
If I get a mark on the device or host, I'll get a mark on the owner. Then I'd be able to, but from what I've read there's debate about wether the device can invite marks or if only the owner can. 
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:17:44/12-24-14)
If I get a mark on the device or host, I'll get a mark on the owner. Then I'd be able to, but from what I've read there's debate about wether the device can invite marks or if only the owner can.

No, not necessarily. You get a Mark on what it's slaved to; that doesn't have to be the Owner. If they happen to be one and the same, I guess I see the problem. Still, I'm pretty sure spoofing Marks would be the number 1 thing to do with that action, but I guess that's a GM decision. Not trying to put any words or anything in Tecumseh's mouth; just my perspective on it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (11:20:13/12-24-14)
I'm worried that picking the lock on the RV and manually hacking it will have SecForce after us with the license plate numbers very quickly.  I'm willing to play it that way, and there is the chance that the old couple will go through the rest of their day and into the next morning before they realize it's gone, but it's risky.  The other option is dealing with the old couple in some way, but that's also unsavory.  Thoughts? 

Like 8-bit, I'm hesitant to burn edge here. 

Also, I would prefer if we didn't have to go on foot.

@Tecumseh, is it ok if we retcon buying a Metalink for everyone on the team while Ace and Katsina were out this afternoon?  It kept slipping my mind during posting.

Last, we need to figure out security via what we leave behind at the house.  Luckily, Ace doesn't have to worry about finger prints, but I'm sure he left a hair or two behind on the couch, and there's always DNA on our utensils, etc.  A lot of that stuff will be jumbled in with the rightful owner's, but it makes me nervous.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:21:49/12-24-14)
@Malevolence
You're actually at the bottom of a lot of ski runs. Aspen is in a valley and the ski runs go up the mountainsides to the south and west.

@Zweiblumen
Doc, when considering his sneakiness, realizes he has Stealth Group 1. However, his non-cybearm agility is poor, limiting his sneaking ability. He has Agility 2 (but 6 for his cyberarm).

Burning Edge is such a drastic option that I'm inclined to say yes, it can be used on an extended test. In this case, burning edge would allow Doc to switch ownership of a device within one hour.

If you're going to hack the RV, you may want to consider rebooting to clear your Overwatch Score first. There are pros and cons to each approach, but I figured Doc would remember and consider it.

@8-bit
No worries on being quiet. It's the holidays and we all have plenty going on. I won't be looking for regular posts until after New Year's.

Separately, I already ruled that devices cannot request marks on themselves. Or, more expansively, that the Spoof command cannot be used for any matrix action that requires Ownership. I know there are lots of opinions on both sides of the issue but that was my conclusion after rules lawyering for a couple hours.

@rednblack
The old couple next door is a potential liability if you boost their ride. There are different approaches of varying degrees of severity. Tying them up and hauling them along is an option. Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, although if this will draw out a Thor Shot-level response if word gets back to SecForce. Or you could blow up the house you're staying in and hope the couple next door don't notice that their RV is gone in the confusion, at least until you're long gone.

I'm going to say no to the retcon to buy the Metalinks, if only because Ace and Katsina never made it to the electronics store to buy the security tags that were requested. That said, you do have the commlinks from the poachers, although these are not entirely clean. Presumably their families are looking for them, or will be soon. (They are currently turned off.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (15:47:51/12-24-14)
Looking at the map, there are plenty of roads through town besides the 82/Main St. It might be more prudent to just try driving around their dragnet. I'm guessing they are not the only team in town looking, so Katsina's Detect Enemies spell will be handy. Might even be prudent to have her get the rental car again and lead the way, acting as a scout - easier to do a last minute route change ("But honey, I want to go to the perfume store on 7th!") in a car than a giant motorhome.


Again, it would be useful to get eyes on so that we know exactly what they are using to search at the intersection. For all we know, they are just looking for the SUV we stole, or the van we were originally in. Or maybe they are stopping vehicles and doing a visual inspection. Or maybe  they have some mojo working. So we should hold off on a final plan until Doc is finished with his sneak and peek.


Ohanzee's probably going to have to get our purchases redirected to wherever we are staying next. "Fluffy had a mishap and a buddy of mine is a Vet in Carbondale, so I'm staying with him for a few days while Fluffy recuperates", or something.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (15:52:25/12-24-14)
Actually, the Detect Enemies spell is Touch targeted, so it could be placed on any one of us. Ace, being the stealthy, fast type, might be ideal as he could scout on foot, quickly in low traffic areas, providing the best option. He might get a different set of pings as Katsina did, and perhaps wildly different than anyone from Blue Team, but hopefully our most dangerous pursuers are looking for all of us.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (16:12:28/12-24-14)
Actually, the Detect Enemies spell is Touch targeted, so it could be placed on any one of us. Ace, being the stealthy, fast type, might be ideal as he could scout on foot, quickly in low traffic areas, providing the best option. He might get a different set of pings as Katsina did, and perhaps wildly different than anyone from Blue Team, but hopefully our most dangerous pursuers are looking for all of us.

Good thinking, Mal.  The only potential issue I could see is if Ace's handlers still think he's on board, and so he doesn't get pinged until he draws his weapon in response to a firefight already going on.  I think that chance is pretty slim, admittedly. 
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (23:07:20/12-26-14)
OK, everything is starting to look up again.

I'll have something up by the end of the weekend.

Sorry for the delay.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:05:52/12-27-14)
Again, no apologies necessary. I've been out-of-pocket most of the week. I will be driving home all day tomorrow. Monday I will have more regular internet access again. Are people generally around next week? If so, we can resume a normal pace. If not, we can keep it slow until after New Year's.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (23:22:39/12-27-14)
Just checking in. I'll be around, but we have some big decisions so I'm in no rush.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (00:16:59/12-28-14)
I'm around, not doing much this week.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:16:55/12-28-14)
I should have plenty of time this upcoming week as I'll be at work but pretty much no one else will.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (01:38:37/12-28-14)
I'm around; hopefully posting will get me out of my Christmas-ridden stupor.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (01:57:59/12-28-14)
I'm around; hopefully posting will get me out of my Christmas-ridden stupor.

Speaking of which how many among us have completely eaten themselves stupid? *raises hand*
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:01:17/12-28-14)
*burp*

Does pie count?  If pie doesn't count, I've eaten normally.  If pie counts, um... I'm in trouble.  Speaking of....

/me runs off to eat some more pie
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:28:48/12-28-14)
I'm around; hopefully posting will get me out of my Christmas-ridden stupor.

Speaking of which how many among us have completely eaten themselves stupid? *raises hand*

I ... can't ... raise ... my ... arms. Too ... full ... *collapses*

Trust me, relatives made lamb and lots of cookies. I did not go hungry.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (04:55:43/12-28-14)
I'm around; hopefully posting will get me out of my Christmas-ridden stupor.

Speaking of which how many among us have completely eaten themselves stupid? *raises hand*

I ... can't ... raise ... my ... arms. Too ... full ... *collapses*

Trust me, relatives made lamb and lots of cookies. I did not go hungry.

OMG lamb! Seriously, lamb is literally one of maybe three things that will make me OMG. *drools* also, can't believe I'm drooling after how much I've eaten in the last few days.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:57:35/12-28-14)
I made lamb for my in-laws on Christmas Eve. Maybe 8-bit and I are related.

I have safely returned from Idaho. It sounds like most of us are around so we can resume regular posting.

If it wasn't obvious, Doc's IC post was prior (about 15:05) to Ohanzee's announcement (about 15:30). Everyone is at the same time and place now (15:32 at the cabin).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (11:28:20/12-29-14)
How long will it take Sam to disarm the traps he laid last night? Can all three of them reasonably be done within 30 minutes?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (11:45:12/12-29-14)
Or leave them. Whittle the numbers of our pursuers.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:04:27/12-29-14)
I'm working off the assumption in my last IC post that Ace wouldn't be able to see the Wolf spirit.  Is that correct?

My vote is also for leaving any traps.  If we could make the whole house go boom, even better.

@Zwei, I don't think pie counts.  so you will be our paragon of eating sensibly over the holidays.  Well done.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (12:06:29/12-29-14)
My vote is also for leaving any traps.  If we could make the whole house go boom, even better.

Well, i can arm the timer on the big bomb, clack it onto the obelisk, and we can make the whole city go boom if ya want...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:11:46/12-29-14)
My vote is also for leaving any traps.  If we could make the whole house go boom, even better.

Well, i can arm the timer on the big bomb, clack it onto the obelisk, and we can make the whole city go boom if ya want...

Not exactly what I had in mind  ;)

In 2075 are rural cabins still running on propane or some equivalent?

ETA: we need to figure out what to do with the RV's rightful owners.  I'd rather hash at least some of this out OOC, as what I feel comfortable with and what Ace feels comfortable with aren't necessarily the same tactics. 

Also, Tecumseh, if I may live vicariously through you, how'd you prepare the lamb?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:25:05/12-29-14)
I'm working off the assumption in my last IC post that Ace wouldn't be able to see the Wolf spirit.  Is that correct?
He is. But he could be anywhere in the house. I just put him in a position where he could keep a watchful eye on things, Tecumseh put him near the entrance to the kitchen. While he started off laying down pretending to doze, there is no reason his agitation couldn't get the best of him and he could start a proper patrol. And, there's no reason he needs to remain materialized other than saving a complex action when some soft (non astral) targets show up. Of course, not being materialized (https://developer.android.com/design/material/index.html) when those "soft targets" have heavy weapons might also be an advantage, so again, whatever fits the narrative.


On the leaving of the traps. I have considered further and I have a concern. If our pursuers are smart (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) they'll probably surveil the place before entry, using both astral and matrix means. Once they determine we are not present, they might choose not to enter. Though, if they want to search the place for evidence and potential material components for rituals, they might not have a choice. Also, our modus operandi so far has been to torch everything, so finding the place still standing might lull them into a false sense of security. So, pros and cons, but all stuff worth considering.


I hope no one minds me discussing this OOC here first. It'll be a part of IC once we have a consensus on action, but I figure this sort of detail work makes for boring and onerous IC, so...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:08:54/12-29-14)
I hope no one minds me discussing this OOC here first. It'll be a part of IC once we have a consensus on action, but I figure this sort of detail work makes for boring and onerous IC, so...

agreed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:16:17/12-29-14)
IMHO it makes a lot more sense to talk these things out here first, then IC the discussion.  Makes for a better story :P

My instinct is to actually make things more complicated, boobie trap the house, and have something keeping an eye on it.  When the OpForce shows up, call SecForce saying that someone is breaking into this house and then blow the whole thing.  Should create a decent ammount of confusion.  That is assuming that we can set up a remote detonation. A possibility is using my agent to watch and then detonate.  Dunno about the logistics of making that work though.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:29:40/12-29-14)
Hashing things out in the OOC thread does keep the IC storyline cleaner. But let's make sure that some of the logic and arguments eventually make their way to the IC thread so that the story can advance smoothly without lurching forward.

Don't forget to chime in on the RV and the elderly couple next door too. Katsina would prefer not to kill them but won't put up a huge degree of resistance if that is the will of the group. If that happens, she would volunteer to do it to ensure that things are done humanely.

@Poindexter
The rulebooks include almost nothing about disarming and what little there is refers to disarming someone else's toys. It seems to me that disarming your own traps would be relatively quick and easy. Shooting from the hip, I would say all three could be disarmed within 10 minutes total, which includes the time to pack things up and have them ready for transport.

If you choose to disarm them, go ahead and roll three (3) Logic+Demolitions tests. For each one you only need 1 hit and no glitches. If you score 0 hits, you can retry that test at -1.

@rednblack
I was thinking that Wolf had materialized in the kitchen because I liked the mental image of a beast spirit chilling out in the middle of the action. I would say that everyone can see Wolf, but if Ohanzee wants Wolf to rest up on the astral than it's his call.

As for the lamb, I made a Morrocan tagine. I've always liked sweet/salty or sweet/savory combinations. The recipe includes dates and pomegranate seeds in addition to plenty of spice and garlic. This is the recipe:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015873-lamb-shank-tagine-with-dates
If you have any intentions of making it, let me know. I have made it twice now and can recommend improvements.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:06:04/12-29-14)
Don't forget to chime in on the RV and the elderly couple next door too. Katsina would prefer not to kill them but won't put up a huge degree of resistance if that is the will of the group. If that happens, she would volunteer to do it to ensure that things are done humanely.

Yes, please.  I'm of a similar mind, though Ace will probably go for killing them as his initial mode of thinking. 

@rednblack
I was thinking that Wolf had materialized in the kitchen because I liked the mental image of a beast spirit chilling out in the middle of the action. I would say that everyone can see Wolf, but if Ohanzee wants Wolf to rest up on the astral than it's his call.

As for the lamb, I made a Morrocan tagine. I've always liked sweet/salty or sweet/savory combinations. The recipe includes dates and pomegranate seeds in addition to plenty of spice and garlic. This is the recipe:
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015873-lamb-shank-tagine-with-dates
If you have any intentions of making it, let me know. I have made it twice now and can recommend improvements.

That looks fantastic.  I'm usually loathe to use water for any recipes, but is there a specific kind of stock/broth that you would recommend?  I'm open to hear any other recommendations you can make as well.  Haven't had lamb in a long while.  I think I need to remedy that.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:59:32/12-29-14)
I stand by my pie statement... specifically pumpkin.  The world needs more pumpkin pie.

But that lamb looks damn good.  Hrm, lamb pie!  WIN!

Oh yeah, Tabula Rasa... that thing!

RV: The old Doc would absolutely just kill them.  Not even worry about it, more likely do it gruesomely.  New Doc has no problem stealing the RV, but would probably prefer not to kill the old couple.  He really needs 3-5 hours using edge every hour to properly steal it.  Ace and Chino can get into it and get us on the road and run wirelessly.  That should at least get us out of town.  If we can then hide somewhere for the rest of the evening Doc can make it ours/his (probably Chino's as he's not a clue how to drive the damn thing :P).

So yeah, my vote: blow up the house when they come a knockin' with a call into the police saying something odd is going on there.  physically steal the RV and keep it off the grid until Doc can change ownership on it.

@Tecumseh: Does it work story-wise to have Doc having gotten his research on the Dr done, but isn't able to finish researching the artifact due to all of these distractions?  Thus the failed roll?  Or should we say he didn't even get his research on the Dr done?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (18:14:55/12-29-14)
All right, not going to lie, been really lax with PbPs throughout Christmas. Going to read IC and OOC to catch up.

For blowing up the house (or rigging it to blow) ... well, Chino kind of already suggested it, so I'm good there.

On the RV and Old Couple; I figure survival is a little more important at the moment than the comfort of our "neighbors". Granted, it might be safer for us if we don't create attention, but we need a getaway vehicle ASAP. Chino has no problem with killing them (he was planning on us blowing up a nearby house as a distraction), but he would probably recommend that he doesn't do it. Because the way Chino deals with things, at least as far as I know, is to blow doors off their hinges, run in, and beat people to death. That might be a little noticeable for our tastes. Oh, and the fact that I have no idea if he might go insane when he does it.

I like Zweiblumen's plan; trap the house and make it a mega distraction while we hightail it out of there.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (18:18:00/12-29-14)
I don't understand why the people need to be killed. Can't we just grab the RV and go?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (18:19:19/12-29-14)
I don't understand why the people need to be killed. Can't we just grab the RV and go?

I didn't say they needed to, but if necessary, Chino isn't going to go against it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:26:37/12-29-14)
It really depends on if the old couple are watch the RV or looking out their windows or really anything like that.  I'd prefer not to kill them as I said, if we can get away with just a snatch and grab, I think Doc would be happier.  If the geezers are watching and we need to gtfo, I'll vote we have Katsina (I really want to start calling her "Kat" but I think she'd stick one of her knives in Doc... might play with that in a few days ;)) do the deed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:33:02/12-29-14)
I don't understand why the people need to be killed. Can't we just grab the RV and go?

We certainly can, but as soon as the couple realizes the RV is gone, SecForce has plates on the team.  If the old couple is killed, there's a fairly good chance the RV won't be posted as missing for days -- old couples love heading out in their RVs after all.  So, if we steal the RV on the down low, then we've got between 15 min - 12 hours before it realistically gets listed as stolen, by my guess.  If we kill them, we could have days.  If we incapacitate them, well that might end up killing them -- old folks with their heart conditions and stressful situations in general, but if not, we could get a day or so.  If we kidnap them, we've got until we let them go, but wow, what a mess that could be.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:54:06/12-29-14)
Not fond of the kidnapping idea as that is just HORRIBLY complicated, unless you mind wipe them, anyone happen to have some laésal wine handy?
If we had time, someone going over and getting them completely knackered so they passed out in a blurry haze would work, but we don't have that kind of time.
Do they use license plates anymore?  I would have thought they'd use wireless IDs (ownership ids), and like a SIN, walking around without announcing it would be cause for suspicion.  We'd need to run the risk having it on until we got clear of town, then run it wirelessly until we got someplace we could take it off the road and re-owner-ize (new word!) it.

That said, the more I think about it, the more murdering the old folks seems like the safest play... assuming it's done without leaving a trail.

Still, I think Doc would prefer liberating it to killing the old folks.  But he's logical and won't put up much of a fuss about killing them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (19:08:15/12-29-14)
Not fond of the kidnapping idea as that is just HORRIBLY complicated, unless you mind wipe them, anyone happen to have some laésal wine handy?
If we had time, someone going over and getting them completely knackered so they passed out in a blurry haze would work, but we don't have that kind of time.
Do they use license plates anymore?  I would have thought they'd use wireless IDs (ownership ids), and like a SIN, walking around without announcing it would be cause for suspicion.  We'd need to run the risk having it on until we got clear of town, then run it wirelessly until we got someplace we could take it off the road and re-owner-ize (new word!) it.

That said, the more I think about it, the more murdering the old folks seems like the safest play... assuming it's done without leaving a trail.

Still, I think Doc would prefer liberating it to killing the old folks.  But he's logical and won't put up much of a fuss about killing them.

Agreed on the kidnapping thing. As someone who dealt with 90 year old grandparents (who were in better shape physically than my 70 year old grandparents), old people are not easy to work with.

They still use License Plates, and RFID chips. Probably a few hundred RFID chips, if I had to guess. Makes it easier to track on the Matrix in the case of theft, etc.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:50:25/12-29-14)
8-bit is correct. They still do use license plates. I was wondering that myself but then I read an explicit reference to them just a day or two ago. I think it was in Stolen Souls, in the long section about extractions. Presumably there are lots of RFID tags too.

Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, but that has its own consequences. Brain fragging is still a major no-no.

@rednblack, I will PM you with recipe tips tonight. If anyone else wants them, let me know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (19:52:38/12-29-14)
@rednblack, I will PM you with recipe tips tonight. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

I feel slightly embarrassed, but yes please?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (20:02:42/12-29-14)
Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, but that has its own consequences. Brain fragging is still a major no-no.

You never HAD an RV...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:23:55/12-29-14)
Technically, the brain fragging only lasts a short time, and from what I've seen, once the spell is up, people KNOW they've been fragged with. Influence works better here as it is permanent (until they are directly confronted with evidence to the contrary) if well crafted. Someone all masky and sharp thing wieldy has that spell...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:26:51/12-29-14)
Upon reading the details, apparently Influence fades after a few minutes as well, and it doesn't mention that they are automatically aware of the influence once the spell fades (for either Control Thoughts or Influence), so Control Thoughts might be the better option after all.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (21:26:18/12-29-14)
8-bit is correct. They still do use license plates. I was wondering that myself but then I read an explicit reference to them just a day or two ago. I think it was in Stolen Souls, in the long section about extractions. Presumably there are lots of RFID tags too.

Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, but that has its own consequences. Brain fragging is still a major no-no.

@rednblack, I will PM you with recipe tips tonight. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

There's also a morphing license plate you can buy for your wheel man chars. I'm not sure what book that is in, except that it's one I don't have yet

And thank you.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (21:28:14/12-29-14)
8-bit is correct. They still do use license plates. I was wondering that myself but then I read an explicit reference to them just a day or two ago. I think it was in Stolen Souls, in the long section about extractions. Presumably there are lots of RFID tags too.

Ohanzee has Control Thoughts, but that has its own consequences. Brain fragging is still a major no-no.

@rednblack, I will PM you with recipe tips tonight. If anyone else wants them, let me know.

There's also a morphing license plate you can buy for your wheel man chars. I'm not sure what book that is in, except that it's one I don't have yet

And thank you.

Stolen Souls and Arsenal have them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (23:35:52/12-29-14)
So, cheese - Control Thoughts the owner of the RV (gotta figure which one it is), command them to transfer ownership of the RV to Chino. Knock them out (sleeping pills?) before the spell wears off. Clean up all evidence of magic (a few combat turns) and drive off in our new RV. They should be out for a few hours before they can wake up and wonder what happened.


This gets into the weeds with ownership. Even though they "voluntarily" transferred ownership, presumably there is still a paper trail leading to Chino (or a false ID that he doesn't have) and probably some sort of unique ID for the RV (besides its license plate) that would make it traceable. In other words, short of making them disappear (killing/kidnapping/tying  up) once they report it stolen it can be traced if online, even if we have transferred ownership.


Unless we do it non-legitimately. My assumption about the hours long process (as opposed to the couple second action) to transfer ownership is that you clean the item of any identifying information that can be linked to its previous owner - serial numbers, paper trails, etc - and give it counterfeit ones that are just as good as real ones.


If we do a legitimate transfer of ownership (by Puppeteer or Spoof Command or mind control/coercion) then it can still be reported stolen and tracked. If we do it the illegal (and thus riskier) way, then it is ours free and clear with no discernible connection to its prior owners.


But that's how I interpret the rules. If compelling the device to legitimately change owners provides us with a clean device, then my cheese above could be the plan. Otherwise, like Zweiblumen, we need them unconscious for a few hours so that we can get out of Aspen and park somewhere "safe" and spend the time to take ownership.


Or dead. Per IC thoughts, Ohanzee would be opposed to this unless no other option was available. What kind of stuff does our "host" have in his medicine cabinet - or could we juryrig something from our medkit supplies? It seems simple sleeping pills should be fairly easy to come by.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (23:45:33/12-29-14)
So, cheese - Control Thoughts the owner of the RV (gotta figure which one it is), command them to transfer ownership of the RV to Chino. Knock them out (sleeping pills?) before the spell wears off. Clean up all evidence of magic (a few combat turns) and drive off in our new RV. They should be out for a few hours before they can wake up and wonder what happened.

This gets into the weeds with ownership. Even though they "voluntarily" transferred ownership, presumably there is still a paper trail leading to Chino (or a false ID that he doesn't have) and probably some sort of unique ID for the RV (besides its license plate) that would make it traceable. In other words, short of making them disappear (killing/kidnapping/tying  up) once they report it stolen it can be traced if online, even if we have transferred ownership.

Actually, that sounds pretty interesting. They can still report it stolen, and it probably can be traced, but there will be legitimate records within the Matrix database saying "Transferred ownership". The authorities might just chalk it up to dementia or memory loss on the old people's part. Or they'll think we were minor car thieves or something. I don't know, it's still risky, but I think it would be less risky.

Unless we do it non-legitimately. My assumption about the hours long process (as opposed to the couple second action) to transfer ownership is that you clean the item of any identifying information that can be linked to its previous owner - serial numbers, paper trails, etc - and give it counterfeit ones that are just as good as real ones.

My impression was that you had to hack databases and the hardware itself to convince the system that the ownership was changed.

If we do a legitimate transfer of ownership (by Puppeteer or Spoof Command or mind control/coercion) then it can still be reported stolen and tracked. If we do it the illegal (and thus riskier) way, then it is ours free and clear with no discernible connection to its prior owners.

But that's how I interpret the rules. If compelling the device to legitimately change owners provides us with a clean device, then my cheese above could be the plan. Otherwise, like Zweiblumen, we need them unconscious for a few hours so that we can get out of Aspen and park somewhere "safe" and spend the time to take ownership.

Or dead. Per IC thoughts, Ohanzee would be opposed to this unless no other option was available. What kind of stuff does our "host" have in his medicine cabinet - or could we juryrig something from our medkit supplies? It seems simple sleeping pills should be fairly easy to come by.

Even that is risky. No idea if the sleeping pills will overdose them, or if they have medical conditions, etc. Anything we juryrig is unlikely to be medical standard, so we have no idea what effects it might have. Definitely less messy though.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:05:02/12-30-14)
Even that is risky. No idea if the sleeping pills will overdose them, or if they have medical conditions, etc. Anything we juryrig is unlikely to be medical standard, so we have no idea what effects it might have. Definitely less messy though.

Doc would probably qualify as an experienced doctor/surgeon.  I'm sure he'd be able to safely knock them out.  Medicine/FirstAid of 6 and logic of 9, he'd be able to figure out the right thing to do there.  A little risky, but he's qualified.  I'm just worried about having enough time, and how thin we are spreading Doc.  Really missing APB right about now.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:18:52/12-30-14)
Doc has Logic 9 + Biotech 5, so, yes, he's a pro. Ace and Katsina just bought medkit supplies so there are sedatives available. The host also has a standard medicine cabinet, including sleeping aids. And, yes, Doc is getting spread thin in APB's absence.

@Zweiblumen, you don't have to retcon what you revealed about Gloria Winters earlier. Most of that would have emerged in the first hour or two of searching. Doc has not yet "completed" his search on the obelisk, but he knows that he's several hours in and hasn't come up with a single hit, which is telling in itself.

Ownership is not well defined by the current rules. How does a device know who its owner is? Your guess is as good as mine. Biometrics? Magic? Resonance? That said, transferring ownership of a vehicle is a legal process and cannot be done quickly. And, even if it were done under magical manipulation, the law certainly accounts for transfers made under duress. If you want to "own" the vehicle you will have to do it via the Hardware extended test from p. 237.

There probably aren't any risk-free options for the current situation. Everything has a price.

In other news, here's a photo I took of tonight's sunset from the Seattle waterfront. The sky is being reflected off a puddle on Pier 62/63. Elliott Bay is at the end of the pier; the Olympic Mountains are out-of-focus on the right. Suck it, losers!

(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6EGSsPCMAAcTyX.jpg)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:27:31/12-30-14)
Holy cow Tecumseh. That's an awesome picture. Now I'm jealous  :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (04:15:39/12-30-14)
So, cheese - Control Thoughts the owner of the RV (gotta figure which one it is), command them to transfer ownership of the RV to Chino. Knock them out (sleeping pills?) before the spell wears off. Clean up all evidence of magic (a few combat turns) and drive off in our new RV. They should be out for a few hours before they can wake up and wonder what happened.


This gets into the weeds with ownership. Even though they "voluntarily" transferred ownership, presumably there is still a paper trail leading to Chino (or a false ID that he doesn't have) and probably some sort of unique ID for the RV (besides its license plate) that would make it traceable. In other words, short of making them disappear (killing/kidnapping/tying  up) once they report it stolen it can be traced if online, even if we have transferred ownership.


Unless we do it non-legitimately. My assumption about the hours long process (as opposed to the couple second action) to transfer ownership is that you clean the item of any identifying information that can be linked to its previous owner - serial numbers, paper trails, etc - and give it counterfeit ones that are just as good as real ones.


If we do a legitimate transfer of ownership (by Puppeteer or Spoof Command or mind control/coercion) then it can still be reported stolen and tracked. If we do it the illegal (and thus riskier) way, then it is ours free and clear with no discernible connection to its prior owners.

This makes me think we should control em, pill em, and change the ownership as fast as we can while we drive.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:18:24/12-30-14)
After a good night's sleep, I have another thought that might help.

Chino is pretty good at ripping spirits apart. If I can intercept them before they find us, I might be able to disrupt them and buy us a little extra time. That is, if I can intercept them before they show up at our door.

It's not guaranteed to work, and it might not be feasible, but it's another thing to add.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (12:53:59/12-30-14)
Chino is a wrecking ball. While reflecting on his ability to pull spirits' arms out of their sockets, he remembers that he can do it on the astral too. Chino has Astral Combat 5.

@rednblack, the house is not run on propane. The city (and the house) is powered by a combination of geothermal wells combined with solar thermal panels designed to take advantage of Aspen's 250 days of sun each year.

@Zweiblumen, I'm not sure Katsina would care if Doc called her Kat. Given that she's only had her name for about 14 hours, it's probably not too critical to her self-identity yet.

If the plan is to destroy the cabin - especially in an explosive fashion - then Katsina would point out that the emergency responders might try to evacuate the neighboring homes. If the firemen and paramedics find an older couple doped out of their minds it is going to look suspicious.

Let me know if I missed any other questions.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:08:38/12-30-14)
So, cheese - Control Thoughts the owner of the RV (gotta figure which one it is), command them to transfer ownership of the RV to Chino. Knock them out (sleeping pills?) before the spell wears off. Clean up all evidence of magic (a few combat turns) and drive off in our new RV. They should be out for a few hours before they can wake up and wonder what happened.


This gets into the weeds with ownership. Even though they "voluntarily" transferred ownership, presumably there is still a paper trail leading to Chino (or a false ID that he doesn't have) and probably some sort of unique ID for the RV (besides its license plate) that would make it traceable. In other words, short of making them disappear (killing/kidnapping/tying  up) once they report it stolen it can be traced if online, even if we have transferred ownership.


Unless we do it non-legitimately. My assumption about the hours long process (as opposed to the couple second action) to transfer ownership is that you clean the item of any identifying information that can be linked to its previous owner - serial numbers, paper trails, etc - and give it counterfeit ones that are just as good as real ones.


If we do a legitimate transfer of ownership (by Puppeteer or Spoof Command or mind control/coercion) then it can still be reported stolen and tracked. If we do it the illegal (and thus riskier) way, then it is ours free and clear with no discernible connection to its prior owners.

This makes me think we should control em, pill em, and change the ownership as fast as we can while we drive.

I'm amenable to this plan.  It'll buy us some time without going full on psychopath, so that's a plus.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (13:50:11/12-30-14)
If the plan is to destroy the cabin - especially in an explosive fashion - then Katsina would point out that the emergency responders might try to evacuate the neighboring homes. If the firemen and paramedics find an older couple doped out of their minds it is going to look suspicious.

even if we made it look like smoke inhalation was the culprit behind said doping?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:53:27/12-30-14)
Btw, nice shot @Tecumseh, and while not from last night, I get mornings like this:
(http://photos.tenminutesout.net/Architecture/San-Francisco/i-cT3xH3B/1/L/IMG_0402-L.jpg)

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:57:54/12-30-14)
If the plan is to destroy the cabin - especially in an explosive fashion - then Katsina would point out that the emergency responders might try to evacuate the neighboring homes. If the firemen and paramedics find an older couple doped out of their minds it is going to look suspicious.

even if we made it look like smoke inhalation was the culprit behind said doping?

Easier said than done.  We are starting to get into multi hour prep times to do this.  And complicating things even further, likely killing the codgers.  I'm gonna vote to keeping this as simple as possible.  Everything is going to have a risk and we are time limited on how much we can do to minimize it.

If we go with killing them, I'd actually recommend having doc try to make it look like heart attacks got them rather than having Kat do it.  Still, if we blow up the house we are going to raise all kinds of alarms in all kinds of places.  That said, I'd still recommend it and calling the cops as a diversion.  Not sure what to do about the old folks.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:07:37/12-30-14)
If the plan is to destroy the cabin - especially in an explosive fashion - then Katsina would point out that the emergency responders might try to evacuate the neighboring homes. If the firemen and paramedics find an older couple doped out of their minds it is going to look suspicious.

even if we made it look like smoke inhalation was the culprit behind said doping?

Easier said than done.  We are starting to get into multi hour prep times to do this. 

Not really if we just make sure some fire gets on the other side of their house before the emergency people get there. That's pretty easy.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:12:22/12-30-14)
Heh, "some fire".

Sounds like a plan is forming. Let's get an IC post or two up to push things forward. I would vote for Ohanzee or Doc, although I've already lost track of which idea was whose.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:41:17/12-30-14)
I know that the device has to remain on the Matrix during the hardware test and I thought I had read that the device could not be used during that period as well, but I can't find that last bit anywhere in the book or after a brief search online. The remaining on the Matrix bit is from the German book and might even be in the reprint of the English book, but is otherwise not in the errata. At any rate, as Tecumseh says, leaving the couple behind could be a problem if anybody thinks to check their place for any reason. Adding another layer of complexity to the plan (not a good idea, but I'll bring it up anyway), we could have Doc (because, really, he's just sitting around doing nothing through all this - not) trigger their health alert or something when the house goes boom. Might make it look like they went into shock from the nearby explosion, at least until they have a more thorough examination.


Or, we could knock them out and take them with us. Dump them somewhere after the ownership change is complete. The less they see of our faces, the better, but at this point any criminal activity would likely be linked to us as primary suspects anyway. Our only saving grace is that possibly our pursuers have left the local authorities out of things thus far, so we might have that advantage. But Ohanzee at least is a person of interest in Gloria's disappearance (I still wonder if an anonymous tip to her body's location could pit the authorities and our pursuers at odds), so he at least has to keep a low profile.


Only issue with Chino intercepting the spirits is that since he can't astrally project, he isn't going to be able to do much intercepting. He can help fight them when they get here, but since they would be able to inform their summoner of their status via the spirit-summoner link, it wouldn't really prevent our discovery. We could try to lure them to a different location (Ohanzee or Kat could lure them) and them all of us beat them senseless. Since they wouldn't have discovered our location, it could reset their search, and since they were the only witnesses to Ohanzee, that could basically end it.



Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:49:45/12-30-14)
All right, character sheet updated. I forget, did we refresh Edge after last IC night?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:58:18/12-30-14)
Actually, maybe the old people would have biomonitors. Doc can send alerts to their biomonitors for any medkits in there to sedate/drug themselves (painkillers, and the like). I seem to remember this from the book, let me check really quickly.

Found it; it's not about biomonitors, but the concept is the same.

Quote from: Core Book of SR5; page 421
A hacker can’t hack into your bone lacing and break your bones, but a hacker can tell your bone lacing that your bones are broken, causing your bone lacing to tell your commlink to call DocWagon, or tell your medkit that you need painkillers.

Perhaps we can do the same to get the old people out of our way for a bit? Maybe it would just be simpler to go in and do it ourselves.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:23:59/12-30-14)
Edge was refreshed. Ohanzee is already through his but Chino hasn't spent any since then.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:12:43/12-30-14)
Just a thought, but one of Ohanzee's remaining spells wouldn't happen to be Astral Armor, would it? That could be pretty handy in the near future.


I'll attempt an IC, but I'd like to know what it would take to try to find the pursuing spirits/astrally projecting mages and lure them to a location of our choosing. Just so that I can decide if Chino's plan is something our characters would reasonably propose or if it is pie in the sky territory.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:01:40/12-30-14)
I'll make a post from Doc.  He can stay in VR and talk out that way.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:33:23/12-31-14)
Ohanzee does not have the Astral Armor spell.

Finding the pursuing spirits would not be hard; just go back to the address you were just astrally visiting. They may be nearby, perhaps beginning their methodical search for you. Finding their summoning magicians would take an Astral Tracking action, so at least an hour. I don't see a problem in luring them to a location of your choosing. Again, the astral movement rules aren't really designed for a chase sequence, but since you can basically go as fast as you want then I don't see why you couldn't go slow enough to lure someone into a trap but fast enough to avoid attacks.

That said, Katsina would point out that destroying the spirits doesn't take address the root problem, as the summoners will presumably just summon more. KOing the current spirits might set back the search a few minutes, but the summoners already have Ohanzee's signature from their spirits (via the spirit-summoner link) so newly summoned spirits could resume the search.

Hacking biomonitors (or other cyber) is a viable approach, if the old folks have them. Doc should also have the skill to safely sedate them if you can get close enough.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:52:17/12-31-14)
When Katsina mentions malfunctioning appliances, Ace recalls that he has Hardware 3. Chino recalls that he has Hardware 2. Both of them understand the basics of how electronics work, including appliances.

Heal preparation at Force 5 with Contact trigger:
Magic 6 + Alchemy 5 + Mentor Spirit 2 + Focus 2 = 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/241750)

Soaking 3 drain:
Willpower 6 + Intuition 6 = 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/241753)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:25:58/12-31-14)
@rednblack, the house is not run on propane. The city (and the house) is powered by a combination of geothermal wells combined with solar thermal panels designed to take advantage of Aspen's 250 days of sun each year.

What about the stove?  Is it electric or gas?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:39:36/12-31-14)
That said, Katsina would point out that destroying the spirits doesn't take address the root problem, as the summoners will presumably just summon more. KOing the current spirits might set back the search a few minutes, but the summoners already have Ohanzee's signature from their spirits (via the spirit-summoner link) so newly summoned spirits could resume the search.
Ah. I was under the impression that the spirit-summoner link was limited to communication that could be relayed verbally. The part about not allowing "any other visual or audio connection" made me think that images (including astral) were out of the picture. But I guess it could also be read as "no real-time streaming of audio/video" from the summoner to the spirit (or vice versa).


Which brings up an interesting question - can spirits "hear"? Astral perception is the only perception they have. Light and sound have no natural analog in the astral (spirits can't see colors in the material world and so can't read signs of computer displays), so would a spirit be able to listen in on a conversation in meat space?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:03:23/12-31-14)
Which brings up an interesting question - can spirits "hear"? Astral perception is the only perception they have. Light and sound have no natural analog in the astral (spirits can't see colors in the material world and so can't read signs of computer displays), so would a spirit be able to listen in on a conversation in meat space?

I did some research on this recently for the PbP game I'm GMing.  I was able to find this:

Quote
[Street Magic pg 114: Other Senses]

Characters may converse and be heard in astral space, and language
is still a communication barrier there, but an assensing
character will be struck more by the emotive content rather
than by the words themselves. It is also possible to eavesdrop
on the noises, communications, and even smells of the physical
world from the astral plane, but just like reading a physical
book, the assensing character will perceive the emotional tone
and impressions rather than the physical sensation.





Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:12:37/12-31-14)
The stove is electric.

The spirit-summoner link allows the summoner to see/hear/feel everything that the spirit does, although these senses cannot be transferred or conveyed via electronic means. (I suppose a summoner with a bunch of headware could be an interesting exception, but that would be an outlier.)

Spirits can see/hear/feel in the physical world if they are materialized. It's more complicated if they are manifested, in which case it is more like a telepathic connection. Rednblack has found the relevant passage for astral-only entities.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:22:29/12-31-14)
The spirit-summoner link allows the summoner to see/hear/feel everything that the spirit does, although these senses cannot be transferred or conveyed via electronic means. (I suppose a summoner with a bunch of headware could be an interesting exception, but that would be an outlier.)

Even then, it wouldn't be possible. At least, not that current technology knows of (or that I'm aware of). The following quote is from the biodrone section of Augmentation.

Quote from: Augmentation; page 140
> CAST translations can produce some funky results. I test drove a biodrone dog the other day, and the range of smells those buggers have is so large it gets translated into translucent color fields for easier metahuman processing.
> Rigger X

> There are limitations to the system. Higher-order brains make CAST translation incrementally harder if not impossible, since complex neural structures link a lot of subconscious processing and memory associations with sensory stimuli. For example, applying CAST to a shark is fairly simple. Even though there are a multitude of highly-developed senses, the brain that processes the perceptions is very simple, and thus it is not hard to translate the total perception into a signal. Same for reptiles, birds, small mammals, and bugs.
> The Smiling Bandit

> And what about paracritters? I don’t want to think about a rigged hellhound with astral sight.
> Jimmy No

> That’s still far ahead of the curve. Astral perception and similar abilities have yet to be linked to a specific part of the brain. There are people working on it, no doubt, but any biodrone with this capacity would be a fluke and almost priceless.
> KAM

So, while it's different, the technology for recording and processing the senses currently doesn't exist (biodrones are the bleeding edge, at the moment).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:24:47/12-31-14)
Can we make Hardware tests to see if detonating the Electric stove would be able to blow up anything else to blow up the house? Or would that be Demolitions?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:34:00/12-31-14)
And I suggest a teamwork test on this either way.  We've got lots of electronics die pool especially when you add in Doc.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:36:25/12-31-14)
Can we make Hardware tests to see if detonating the Electric stove would be able to blow up anything else to blow up the house? Or would that be Demolitions?

We may be over-thinking this.  Maybe some slow-burning material on top of -- or trailing behind -- the Roomba would do the trick.  Light and set the thing to do its rounds.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:54:48/12-31-14)
Again, I was thrown by the passage:
Quote from: Core pg. 301

 
 
 
 When materialized, the spirit uses astral perception (its only perception) to perceive the physical world.
   


I guess they can see and hear normally, but when searching (looking/hearing/smelling/etc) for something, since they don't have a Perception skill, they use Assensing instead?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:57:26/12-31-14)
I'm still a fan of punishing them when they breach. Saving our explosives is a good idea, but I'm sure we can spare a detonator or something on an improvised device to make sure the house goes boom at just the right moment. Of course, without propane and since we already used the gas from the gas can, we're rather out of readily available options.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:49:58/12-31-14)
@Malevolence, ooo, this is interesting. My dead-tree version of the core rulebook says the same thing about spirits you just quoted, but my PDF says something very different:

Quote
When materialized, the spirit is able to perceive the physical world much as other material beings do.

The spirit stats on p. 303 also list Perception as a skill, which suggests that they're not entirely reliant on Assensing. Looks like the devs switched gears on us. Let's go with the PDF reading.

@8-bit and @rednblack: Demolitions is for things that explode. Setting the house on fire is easy and can be done in a variety of creative ways, many of which don't even require a test. The tricky part is making it look like an accident. Unless you don't care about making it look like an accident, figuring that you'll be long gone by then (and that any of the bloodthirsty teams pursuing you are a more pressing issue than any threat that a lingering arson investigation might pose).

Katsina would vote against explosives. While it might eliminate a few pursuers, she's going to guess that the powers that be are willing to throw people at this obelisk until they have it. Fourth World artifacts don't just turn up every day after all. Better to keep the arson as low-key as possible, in her opinion.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:04:05/01-01-15)
@8-bit and @rednblack: Demolitions is for things that explode. Setting the house on fire is easy and can be done in a variety of creative ways, many of which don't even require a test. The tricky part is making it look like an accident. Unless you don't care about making it look like an accident, figuring that you'll be long gone by then (and that any of the bloodthirsty teams pursuing you are a more pressing issue than any threat that a lingering arson investigation might pose).

Since I'm batting 0 on figuring out a good way to bring the house down, can we do a teamwork test to see what might be the best plan of action here? 

LOG + Hardware (see how to burn the house down) (http://orokos.com/roll/242007): 7d6t5 1

Katsina would vote against explosives. While it might eliminate a few pursuers, she's going to guess that the powers that be are willing to throw people at this obelisk until they have it. Fourth World artifacts don't just turn up every day after all. Better to keep the arson as low-key as possible, in her opinion.

This might be good to IC out.  It seems to me there are a few different and interesting ways of looking at this.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:43:54/01-01-15)
The consensus seems to be no explosives cause who cares, but fire to cover our tracks.
Steal the RV and render the geriatrics immobile via hacking biomonitors and medkits.
Lead the spirits somewhere we can ambush them before hauling ass again


am i right more or less?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:46:07/01-01-15)
Sounds about right to me.

Although, is fire thorough enough to get rid of any evidence and/or material links?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:47:16/01-01-15)
enough fire is

sam might be willing to use some low power kinda boom just to ensure we get a good burn.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:53:48/01-01-15)
So hacking their biomonoiors ain't gonna be easy. They've a pretty good host protecting their gear. One of the reasons we are physically hijacking the RV.  Doc is pretty good though so we can definitely give that a whirl. Just hope I don't bring the popo down on us. I'm down if everyone else is. Someone get that mentioned IC.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:19:27/01-01-15)
Before we decide to hack their biomonitors, perhaps we should confirm that the old folks actually have them. If they don't have them, let's figure out how to drug them.

enough fire is

Correct.

I think Poindexter has the outline largely in place, although Katsina would question the value of luring the spirits into an ambush. 

Since I'm batting 0 on figuring out a good way to bring the house down, can we do a teamwork test to see what might be the best plan of action here? 

LOG + Hardware (see how to burn the house down) (http://orokos.com/roll/242007): 7d6t5 1

As I said before, setting the house on fire is easy. Any of the ideas previously mentioned will work. The stove, flaming house-cleaning drones, flammable chems or solvents from the garage. With one hit, Ace might think that an oily-rag fire might be a plausible cover story for why the house accidentally burned down on purpose.

I am going to post some of Katsina's thoughts ICly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (16:24:49/01-01-15)
Katsina would question the value of luring the spirits into an ambush. 

As would Sam.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:33:27/01-01-15)
Considering that it gains us very little while risking wound modifiers, luring the spirits does seem counter-productive.


@Tec - How are you handling spell range? Is there a range penalty for spells, or is it "if you can see it, you can hit it"? The binoculars will give me better visual acuity, but I'm assuming that sniping with Fireball from over a mile away is too cheesy. Or sniping with Control Thoughts. Granted, it's not too OP as they will likely have mages enough to counterspell anyway, but if we do come up against an entirely mundane group of opponents, I just want to know what the limits are for ranged casting.


Meanwhile, I'll IC some agreement with the forming plan.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:42:12/01-01-15)
@Tec - How are you handling spell range? Is there a range penalty for spells, or is it "if you can see it, you can hit it"? The binoculars will give me better visual acuity, but I'm assuming that sniping with Fireball from over a mile away is too cheesy. Or sniping with Control Thoughts. Granted, it's not too OP as they will likely have mages enough to counterspell anyway, but if we do come up against an entirely mundane group of opponents, I just want to know what the limits are for ranged casting.

Line of sight means if you can see it you can hit it. However, per p. 281, "Spellcasting by visual targeting is subject to normal visibility modifiers." From the Environmental Modifiers table on p. 175, that's the Visibility column (rain/fog/smoke) and the Light/Glare column. Sniping from a mile away a legitimate tactic, but good luck with sight lines like that in the mountains in the winter.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:58:42/01-01-15)
Also, when the conversation turns to smooth-talking your way into the neighbor's home, Ace remembers that he's a pretty good BS artist himself. Ace has Con 4.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:15:52/01-01-15)
Also, when the conversation turns to smooth-talking your way into the neighbor's home, Ace remembers that he's a pretty good BS artist himself. Ace has Con 4.

Realizing that, it might be better if Ace went solo.  One strange man is less threatening than two.  If so, and it seems that Tecumseh and I are both on now, we might be able to deal with that bit of business very quickly.  Thoughts?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:31:42/01-01-15)
I'd have to retcon my last post, but I'm fine with that too.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:32:57/01-01-15)
I am signing off soon to head to the gym. I will be online a bit tonight and most of the day tomorrow.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:35:57/01-01-15)
I'd have to retcon my last post, but I'm fine with that too.

nah, let's just run with it.  It's probably the smarter play anyway, on the off chance this is a magically active old couple that's going to summon spirits to defend them, if I frag up an attack roll. 

In other news, do we know the name of the guy whose house we've been squatting in?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:45:01/01-01-15)
Holding off on next IC for Tec to handle the old couple and give us a name for our generous host. Having Doc find the couple's names would also be a bonus.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:48:49/01-01-15)
@Tec - you beat me to it, but I was about to post here that I updated my latest IC post to reflect a call to Doc for the names of the couple.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:53:12/01-01-15)
You don't have the names of the neighbors.

The owner of the cabin you're staying in is Joseph Moran. There was some IC description here and here:
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg333768;topicseen#msg333768
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg334806;topicseen#msg334806

Go ahead and do Etiquette rolls, plus Con if you're going to be spinning tall tales. Make any other rolls you feel are relevant (e.g. Perception or Assensing if you're looking for something).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:16:54/01-01-15)
On my phone right now. Will matrix search their names when I get home. @tec can I just buy hits on that?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:40:39/01-01-15)
Nope.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:00:32/01-01-15)
Agent; Encryption; Toolbox; Baby Monitor
A:4 S:5  D:6(7) F:7(8 )
Matrix Search on Neighbors Names Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia (1) + VR(2) - Wounds(1)= 11 (http://orokos.com/roll/242084): 11d6t5 4 (limit 7)

I've no idea what the difficulty is, if these folks are not publicized then this will take some time as its 3 hits to find them and 1 to drop it to 15 min.  If they are "normal" and it's 1 hit to find that gives me 3 to reduce the time down to 7.5 seconds.  If they are actively hiding then we are buggered :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:35:16/01-01-15)
I'm letting Ace start the conversation so I can peek at their auras and look for potential astral protection and avoid the -2 penalty to my other rolls.


I don't know that I can add the specifically looking (though I am mostly looking to see if they are awakened, wary, and if there are spirits nearby on guard):
Assensing the couple and their surroundings [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/242085): 7d6t5 2


Etiquette (when it comes up):
Etiquette [Charisma 6 + Etiquette 6 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/242086): 11d6t5 6
I've charmed their socks off.


And Con:
Con [Charisma 6 + Con 5 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/242087): 10d6t5 6
Holy cow, I conned their socks off, too.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:44:50/01-01-15)
At this point, I'm waiting on Ace to post the introductions and cover story, then I can take over with the request for suggestions on spending our time in Aspen. I'm also still waiting on the results of my test with the alcohol and my Assensing of the couple and their house.


A roll for the alcohol observation if needed. I'm using the specifically looking modifier but you can drop dice if you feel it's not appropriate:
Assensing the result of alcohol on the infection [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/242088): 10d6t5 3
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:18:44/01-02-15)
Another quick question on rules - the illusion spell is obvious in the Astral, but does it still obfuscate or cover objects within/behind it (similar to  a mana barrier or any other Astral object) or is it completely pierced with no ill effect for the observer?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:02:53/01-02-15)
Rolls:

CHA + CON (on old folks, no modifiers taken) (http://orokos.com/roll/242288): 8d6t5 3

CHA + Etiquette (on old couple, taking corp specialty) (http://orokos.com/roll/242289): 10d6t5 5
Nice one.  I must look the part.

INT + Perception (Looking for which of the 2 looks the most lithe,taking +3) (http://orokos.com/roll/242290): 10d6t5 2
Ace is looking to see which one might be able to move more quickly when it comes to that time.  Not sure if I should edge that or not, but I'm going to hold off for this roll, I think.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:34:15/01-02-15)
Another quick question on rules - the illusion spell is obvious in the Astral, but does it still obfuscate or cover objects within/behind it (similar to  a mana barrier or any other Astral object) or is it completely pierced with no ill effect for the observer?

@Malevolence, if I'm reading this correctly you want to know if an illusion spell impacts astral visibility/perception. I would say that sounds logical. Yes, the spell itself will be completely obvious, but anything behind it will be obscured. We'll use the same rules as for mana barriers, namely Force = vision penalty.

@Zweiblumen, the publicly available records suggest that this house is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Nately II (the second). I will post this ICly.

@Mal, I'll pose the results of the beer assensing ICly.

@Mal @rednblack
Dice results for the old man:
Suspicious: 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/242377), no negative modifier on this round of rolls
Resist Etiquette: 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/242376)
Resist Con: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/242375)

Other results, such as Perception and Assensing, are incoming ICly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:55:04/01-02-15)
Well, drek. I hope Ohanzee can bring a little something here con-wise. If Ace gets the impression that we're not getting anywhere with nice words he's just gonna rush 'em.

ETA: is the old woman behind cover?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:35:49/01-02-15)
Yes, she has good cover (+4 to dodge). She's a dozen meters down the hallway, so Long range for a taser.

For what it's worth, I tend to drop a lot of hints and foreshadowing into my IC posts. I know that these are often lost in PbP, since it can be a month of real time between when you read the clue and when you actually need it, but a periodic review of old IC posts can give you an edge in some situations. I know that requires time and attention that people don't always have, but they are there.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:56:45/01-02-15)
Hrm, these guys might actually be good contacts for moving this damn artifact!  Wish I had bothered to look them up earlier!  Also glad I didn't try to break into their house the first night.

Wonder if we can con our way in there and and hide Ohanzee from the spirits somehow (though how is way beyond me).

@Tecumseh: More search on Nately Corp (this will only get the bare bones :() Matrix Search on Nately Corp Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia (1) + VR(2) - Wounds(1) = 11 (http://orokos.com/roll/242448): 11d6t5 3
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:06:45/01-02-15)
I'm working from a tablet, so my formatting is sparse and I don't have a roll for the illusion spell. I'll fix it later. It's only at force 2 to minimize Drain if you want to make the roll for me - it's meant to be an obvious illusion so as long as I don't glitch it's fine. I'll be able to fix it around 6 Pacific, so no worries.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:08:38/01-02-15)
Heh, fun thought. Maybe we can make them touch the artifact, then we could probably convince them of whatever once they lose their memories. Quick way to gain an ally.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (21:13:16/01-02-15)
Spellcasting rolls, mostly for drain:
Trid Phantasm (party tricks, force 2) [ Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wound 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/242518): 12d6t5 4
Just within inches of a glitch!
Drain Resist [WIL 6 + CHA 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/242521): 12d6t5 1
SERIOUSLY?! Ugh, one point of stun...


Back at a -2 wound modifier.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (21:15:54/01-02-15)
You're not alone. The same thing happened to Katsina when she rolled Magic Fingers when doing the tailoring because I was trying to get cute.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:52:13/01-03-15)
What's the loose plan here? Are you waiting for a certain opening before you act or are you wanting to converse with this fellow for a while?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:01:48/01-03-15)
What's the loose plan here? Are you waiting for a certain opening before you act or are you wanting to converse with this fellow for a while?

Loose plan is getting husband and wifey in the same room, so we can take them down simultaneously.  Don't want to give wifey a chance to get on the comms before she goes down.

Ok, scratch that.  I like that Mr. Nately is sitting.  Ace is going to jump him, and try to take him out before he can speak.  Any way to tell if Ace is going to get a surprise round before rolling his attack? 

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:22:28/01-03-15)
Also to maybe stall for a minute. I'd like to find out a little more about the couple as, after Doc's report, the situation seems suspiciously easy. He should have more security unless he was dishonorably removed from his old corporate position.
Since I'm the subordinate in our charade, I'm letting Ace take the lead.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:35:11/01-03-15)
Rolls:

AGI + Close Combat (Superior Position +2) against Mr. Nately (http://orokos.com/roll/242810): 15d6t5 6
for hitting with my shock hand

Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/242811): 7+2d6 10
Awful.  Is it ok to Blitz after rolling initiative dice?  Perfectly fine if not, but if so, let's see if I can do better. 

Blitz dice (http://orokos.com/roll/242812): 3d6 15
Much better if it counts.  That would put Ace at 25 total.

ETA: @Mal, I had already rolled when I saw your post.  Hmm.  OOC, I'm fine with stalling, but Ace wouldn't stall when he saw an in, unless he was directed to.  How should we play this?  I'll hold off before posting IC.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:48:04/01-03-15)
I'm also not sure how we're disabling both at the same time, and we still haven't gotten a good look at the wife, but I hadn't cautioned Ace to hold off, so I'll follow his lead. I'm probably being overly paranoid and slowing the game unnecessarily anyway.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:58:20/01-03-15)
The thing with security is that they roll around in an RV. Without the presence of spirits or a tactical team that follows them everywhere, the cabin certainly isn't going to be less secure than their home on wheels. Of course, my limited knowledge OOC of the world could be reflected in that statement.

So, I guess let's see what happens. *fingers crossed*
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:29:40/01-03-15)
No problem using Edge for Blitz. It's there to make the improbable happen.

Mr. Nately isn't going to beat 25. Let's see if he would have beaten 10: 15 (http://orokos.com/roll/242826), yup good thing you Blitzed.

@Rednblack, you get another +2 for touch-only attack: 1 extra hit (http://orokos.com/roll/242831), so 7 total, which equals Ace's Physical limit.

Mr. Nately dodging 6 hits. Reaction + Intuition - Prone: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/242829).

Damage is 9S(e), staged up to 13S(e) with net hits. Sadly Mr. Nately's sweater is not modified for non-conductivity.

Soak roll: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/242833). 12 boxes of stun.

His Stun monitor is full. He is tweaking and freaking.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:37:34/01-03-15)
And not making a peep, right? I'm sure he's very quiet.  ;)

Is 18M enough to close the distance, or will Ace need to sprint to get there?  If so. . .

IP 1
Complex: Attack Mr. Nately
Free: Run to Mrs. Nately (This may need to be modified, as IP 1 probably started before Ace was standing in front of Mr. Nately)

IP 2
Free Action: Speech
Complex: Attack Mrs. Nately

I'll hold off on rolling and posting IC until Ohanzee has a chance to do his thing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:48:52/01-03-15)
The problem is that Ace isn't 100% sure where she is. He knows where he last saw her (maybe 10m away) but who's to say where she is now a minute later. Better sprint.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (20:56:51/01-03-15)
Sprint Test (http://orokos.com/roll/242839): 8d6t5 3

That's still 6 extra meters, yes?  That'll bring Ace up to 24.  He's going to try the kitchen first.  That will be his Complex Action for IP 2
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (22:01:39/01-03-15)
Rolling initiative, in case it matters (and it probably will).
Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/242851): 1d6+7 12
IP1
 Astral perception (look for the wife).
 Astral Perception (looking for the wife) [Intuition 4 + Assensing 4 + Specifically looking 3 - Wounds 2] (http://orokos.com/roll/242854): 9d6t5 4
 Message (light banter w/Ace, and a location for the wife if I spot her).


I'll IC it when I get the results of my perception. IP 2 will depend on how the situation develops. I don't have any non-lethal options, so I'm mostly there as a spotter. I can always summon wolf if things get bad.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (22:10:05/01-03-15)
Thinking better of it, IP 1 is the same, but I'm going to give up IP 2 and go full defense.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (22:35:26/01-03-15)
@Mal are you astrally projecting or just perceiving? The latter won't help much, but the former limits ready communication.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (23:10:37/01-03-15)
Just perceiving. In not expecting much action on the Astral but I don't want to be surprised.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (23:16:04/01-03-15)
I don't know if Ohanzee was ever sitting, but he wants to be standing. So if he needs to stand back up we can account for that.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:37:27/01-03-15)
Sounds good.

@Rednblack, Ace is going to find her in the kitchen. Go ahead and roll Ace's attack. He loses the superior position bonus but he gains the charging bonus since he is running.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:12:46/01-04-15)
CR2 action will be to sit down and project, searching the house room by room. Unless his position doesn't seem secure of course, so this is the plan until reality changes it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:35:25/01-04-15)
@Tec: Did Doc turn up any more useful info with that search on Nately Enterprises?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:47:29/01-04-15)
@Mal: You mentioned earlier that an object had to be on a Grid in order to change ownership, and I'm sure you're right, but I can't find this in the rules.  Changing ownership isn't even a Matrix Action, it's a hardware one and requires a hardware kit.

The reason I ask is it'll make a *big* difference in how we go about stealing the RV.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:38:36/01-04-15)
It's a clarification from the German version of the rules that is not in the English printing I have (it might have made it into the reprint) and I don't see it in the errata either but it is widely accepted on the boards as The Way It Is ™.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:51:01/01-04-15)
@Mal: Thanks for the clarification.
@Tec: we going RAW for ownership or RAI?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:46:37/01-05-15)
@Zweiblumen, Doc has turned up everything he can find within the 1 minute threshold. He'll need to dedicate more time to it (30 minutes) to find out anything more.

The devs have stated that a device needs to be online the entire time that ownership is being hacked. I think the idea was to make it almost impossible to hack ownership without getting unrealistically lucky on the 15-minute interval rolls for your Overwatch Score. However, as Zweiblumen points out, transferring ownership isn't even a matrix action. It requires Hardware and would not generate any OS on its own since it is neither an Attack nor a Sleaze action.

As a middle ground, let's say that hacking ownership does require a Matrix signal but does not incur OS.

@rednblack, making your rolls since they're straight-forward.

AGI 9 + Close Combat 4 + Charging 2 + Touch-only 2 = 17 dice = 7 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243134), that's your Physical limit
Mrs. Nately defense: surprised, no defense possible
Soaking 16S(e): 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243136)

She takes 16S. That's 10S to KO her, the remaining 6S converts to 3P. She's out.

@Malevolence, the rest of the house looks empty. IC post incoming.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:02:13/01-05-15)
@Zweiblumen, Doc has turned up everything he can find within the 1 minute threshold. He'll need to dedicate more time to it (30 minutes) to find out anything more.

The devs have stated that a device needs to be online the entire time that ownership is being hacked. I think the idea was to make it almost impossible to hack ownership without getting unrealistically lucky on the 15-minute interval rolls for your Overwatch Score. However, as Zweiblumen points out, transferring ownership isn't even a matrix action. It requires Hardware and would not generate any OS on its own since it is neither an Attack nor a Sleaze action.

As a middle ground, let's say that hacking ownership does require a Matrix signal but does not incur OS.
Figured as much on the search (man that was a bad roll).  Thanks.
And I'll take the middle ground!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:14:58/01-05-15)
Can Ace use Hardware to try to shut down the CAD drone before the call gets placed?  If it's too late for that, would his Hardware skill give him any inkling of what hitting it with the shock hand might do?  Specifically, might the drone short out and issue a lot of response calls that would be seen by people on the other end as a drone shorting out, as opposed to a client in mortal danger?

That drone is fragging fast.  Will hold off posting IC until I have a better idea of what my options are here -- aside from the obvious bugging out, of course. 

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:23:54/01-05-15)
@rednblack
Hitting it with a shock hand will likely disable it. Without hacking it, Ace wouldn't know at what exact point a call for help would be made. Hardware could also be used to manually disable it.

OOCly, I wrote a longer post to avoid a sentence-by-sentence back-and-forth of "the drone says this, do you want to act now? then the drone says this, do you want to act now?" If Ace would preemptively KO an autodoc upon its appearance, or at a certain point in its speech, then we can do that. Ace has the reflexes to intervene quickly.



@Everyone
Holiday's over. Daily posting resumes!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:37:10/01-05-15)
@rednblack
Hitting it with a shock hand will likely disable it. Without hacking it, Ace wouldn't know at what exact point a call for help would be made. Hardware could also be used to manually disable it.

OOCly, I wrote a longer post to avoid a sentence-by-sentence back-and-forth of "the drone says this, do you want to act now? then the drone says this, do you want to act now?" If Ace would preemptively KO an autodoc upon its appearance, or at a certain point in its speech, then we can do that. Ace has the reflexes to intervene quickly.

Ace would try to bring the drone down as soon as he saw it was on alert, and his first impulse would probably be to think it was coming for him, and not to provide medical assistance.  I'll leave it to you, but if the option is there to take out the drone early, here's the crunch:

Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/243275): 7+2d6 13

Attack! AGI(9)+Close Combat(4)+Touch Only(2)+Charge(2) (http://orokos.com/roll/243279): 17d6t5 8
Physical Limit is 7, so 7 hits.  It may be questionable if Charge counts here. 

Fingers crossed that the call didn't get put in as soon as Mrs. Nately's bio-monitor, or whatever, registered that she had a shock. 
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:46:09/01-05-15)
Charge would not apply but dropping 2 dice still leaves you with 7 hits.

Drone dodge: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243286)

Net damage is 9+5 = 14S(e).

Soak: 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243288), waa waa. Drone is KO'd.

Ace's electrical rampage continues. I'll revise the IC to give an opening to Ace. @redblack, go ahead and pose your take-down ICly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:01:34/01-05-15)
Even with the drone KO'd, it'd be prudent to have Doc direct connect and check if the call has gone out, cancel it if it has, and hack the biomonitors to report everything normal. rednblack can put that in his IC or I can once the whole drone thing is resolved.


I had a whole plan involving Trid Phantasm and a call to the emergency dispatcher by Mr. Nately waving them off. In either case, he'll be outside to greet Doc and usher him in, and he and the Mrs. will be preforming a pre-journey inspection on the RV so that any neighbors watching think things are on the up and up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:13:25/01-05-15)
@Tec: lemme know what you want me to roll for going through the drones logs with a DC.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:14:02/01-05-15)
Even with the drone KO'd, it'd be prudent to have Doc direct connect and check if the call has gone out, cancel it if it has, and hack the biomonitors to report everything normal. rednblack can put that in his IC or I can once the whole drone thing is resolved.


I had a whole plan involving Trid Phantasm and a call to the emergency dispatcher by Mr. Nately waving them off. In either case, he'll be outside to greet Doc and usher him in, and he and the Mrs. will be preforming a pre-journey inspection on the RV so that any neighbors watching think things are on the up and up.

Let's have Ohanzee suggest that.  Doc can run over while Ace tries to get the RV started, right?  If the commlinks will let the team gain access, we'll go that route.  If not,

AGI(9)+Locksmith(4) v. RV 1st attempt (http://orokos.com/roll/243304): 13d6t5 2
Let's edge that.

Edge re-roll failures on locksmith roll (http://orokos.com/roll/243305): 11d6t5 2
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:15:53/01-05-15)
Oh, and someone needs to TELL Doc to come.  None of this activity would have been obvious to anyone.  I don't think even the agent would pick on up this doing his overwatch on *our* house.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:25:07/01-05-15)
In the interest of time, I just updated IC to have Ace request assistance from Doc.  Cool?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:30:10/01-05-15)

The illusion of the Natelys:Trid Phantasm (the Natelys, force 6, using channeling) [ Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wound 2] (http://orokos.com/roll/243307): 11d6t5 4
Drain resist (vs 6 stun):
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/243310): 13d6t5 3
Man, I can't get a break on the drain resists. 3 more stun and another wound modifier.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:51:46/01-05-15)
@rednblack: WFM
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:52:28/01-05-15)
I wasn't clear about it but the drone is toast. From p. 171:

Quote
Electronic equipment and drones can also be affected
by Electricity damage. They never suffer Stun damage
so Electricity damage is Physical when used against
electronics and drones.

Doc can't tell if the drone made a call without repairing it first.

Mr. Nately's commlink is a Transys Avalon but it is currently locked / password protected.

Mrs. Nately's commlink is still active/unlocked since she was making a call. It is also a Transys Avalon. Picking it up reveals that she was speaking to Edward J. Nately III. The call has been dropped.

Her comm will give you access to the RV, so no need for Locksmith rolls. Also, Locksmith tests are fairly generous Extended tests (p. 363) so there's generally no need to Edge them unless you glitch or are in a HUGE hurry.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (15:09:07/01-05-15)
Perception to find the things Ohanzee has directed Ace to look for.

Perception (credsticks, clothes, extra comms, etc.) Taking +3 for specifically looking (http://orokos.com/roll/243320): 10d6t5 2

Not great, but hopefully most of those are in the regular spots. 
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:21:12/01-05-15)
You find clothes but not credsticks. You do find several objets d'art that are small and readily transportable. Small statues, figurines, other bits and pieces that are (probably) valuable to the right person.

Also some jewelry. Mrs. Nately is wearing pearl earrings and a necklace. You also find some understated gold chains in the bathroom next to her sink. Mr. Nately is wearing a fancy watch.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (15:47:52/01-05-15)
IC updated to reflect Ace's looting.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:29:04/01-05-15)
Lets go with the comm/boimonitor then and see what those reported, and getting them to report normally.  I'm assuming I can get a DC to the host and thus easier access.  I don't think I have time to repair the drone.  Lemme know what rolls you want and I'll get them up asap.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:35:15/01-05-15)
Mrs. Nately's biomonitor is integrated into an elegant lady's watch that she wears around her left wrist. It is not slaved. You can direct connect to that. The device rating is 2.

If you wish to hack the host for any reason, it is easy to find a direct connection to make the job easier. You can find a rating 1 device to connect through.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (16:54:43/01-05-15)
Hacking Mr. Neally's biomonitor and phone (Log 9 Hacking 6 - Wounds 1 = 14) (http://orokos.com/roll/243350): 2#14d6t5 2 3 (that's supposed to be "Mrs." not "Mr.")

In order roll one on the biomonitor roll two on the phone.  2 hits should be good for the biomonitor, less sure about the comm.  Though with it unlocked do I need to hack it?  Can I just use it as if I were Mrs. Nealy?  Lemme know, if I fail with those, trying again isn't that big of a deal right now.  I dont' think Mrs. Neally is going to notice I'm hacking her gear :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:14:16/01-05-15)
Katsina casting Physical Mask @ F4: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243346)
Katsina soaking 3 drain: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243347), no drain

Katsina looks like Ivana again.



@Zweiblumen
You don't need to hack the commlink if you just want to see what it has been up to. You can use it as Mrs. Nately, within reason. Her bank accounts, for example, have additional layers of security which you cannot slice easily.

The biomonitor will need to be hacked if you want to spoof a signal from it, e.g. to indicate that Mrs. Nately was not, in fact, electrocuted; she was just extra-excited about life.

Biomonitor resist: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/243358), Doc has a mark on the biomonitor

Doc, checking through the biomonitor's logs, notes that Mrs. Nately has a history of "episodes". She tends to faints occasionally and unpredictably, likely due to low blood pressure. The standard procedure seems to be for the autodoc to tend to her and to summon paramedics if additional assistance is needed. Doc finds the signal to the autodoc but can't tell if the autodoc relayed it to anyone else. He's guessing it didn't, since it didn't have enough time to evaluate the situation (its SOP) before Ace fried it like an egg, but he's not 100% certain. Perhaps the severity of the episode triggered an automatic call.

Doc, being a genius, realizes that the son may know about his mother's condition. While the son is probably alarmed, he may not call the authorities immediately if he knows about the autodoc. That said, he will likely be looking for reassurances about her well-being within an hour or two.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:19:23/01-05-15)

To convince Edward Nately III that everything is fine:


Con [Charisma 6 + Con 5 - Wounds 3] (http://orokos.com/roll/243362): 8d6t5 2
I'm guessing there are additional dice to add - The target is friendly to the Natelys, there is plausible evidence that she is  actually okay (she is talking to him saying she is, after all), and likely he wants to believe that she is fine, so the result would be advantageous to him, for a total of 4 or 5 extra dice. Go ahead and roll whatever additional dice you feel apply, I only rolled my attribute, skill, and wound modifier.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:21:04/01-05-15)
Bah, and subtract two dice from what you add to account for sustaining the Trid Phantasm spell.


If paramedics show, Mr. and Mrs. Nately can wave them off from the driveway. The tricky part will be to get them to leave without wanting to make physical contact with Mrs. Nately. Probably just better to not be there.


Ace can take the bodies to the RV. I can cover him with the illusion to make it look like he's walking with them rather than carrying them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:34:40/01-05-15)
Personally I don't subtract dice from a test that's using the spell in question. I don't think a spell should give 3 hits just to take 2 of them away. You could say that's what sustaining foci and Heightened Concentration are for, but those are still valuable to negate the sustaining penalties for other tests that don't involve the spell.

Before we grant a bonus for plausible evidence, let's see if the spell fools the young Nately.
Intuition + Logic: (goofed and rolled the attributes separately, here (http://orokos.com/roll/243375) and here (http://orokos.com/roll/243376)): 4 hits, goodness, young Master Nately is perceptive today.

This removes the plausible-seeming evidence bonus. It also makes the young Nately suspicious. This does not cost a hit though, so Ohanzee still has 2 hits.

Charisma + Con resist: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243375). Story's not holding up well. IC post coming.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:13:49/01-05-15)
Well, that went poorly.


At this point, I'd like to have Mr. Nately join in "What am I, chopped liver? I think I can call for help if I thought there was a need. Now listen to your mother and let her get some fresh air and maybe some rest." Maybe have Mrs. Nately comment on how he looks like he's fading in and out a little as well and the phone must have taken some damage from the shock.


I'm just not sure how that would work crunch wise with rolls - another skill roll with a retry penalty of -2 dice? The illusion is a loss as far as Ed III is concerned I imagine, so I might drop to audio only and use that to sell the phone being on the fritz. Of course, the audio is also part of the illusion, so that wouldn't really change that crunch wise, but again, might sell the phone story.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:22:43/01-05-15)
Any thoughts on how to play this if little Nately isn't buying? We may be able to come clean as kidnappers who were fragged over by the old man and need his assistance in putting the creds back in their rightful place, complete with threats, etc. Or, that could be a really bad idea. I'd imagine Mr. Nately has instructed his son in what to do in precisely this scenario. At least LE is probably off the table.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:39:25/01-05-15)
@Mal, you can retry with Mr. Nately + Leadership, but you are facing an uphill battle versus suspicious + potential outcome is disastrous. You can have +1 back for Mr. Nately being an authority figure, but this is not a layup.

This could buy you some time or it could dig the hole deeper.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:14:03/01-05-15)
My 3 dice (Cha 6 + Leadership 6 + authority 1 - Wound 3 - Disastrous 4 - suspicious 1) vs. his 4 (assuming his Leadership + Will is equal to his Con + Cha)? I do not like my odds (plus the chances for a glitch on 3 dice - ugh!). I think I'll just guilt trip him and terminate the call.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:52:43/01-06-15)
Lifting the crate:
Levitate the crate (Force 4, centering) [Magic 6 + Sorcery 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wounds 3] (http://orokos.com/roll/243726): 10d6t5 2
Barely lifts the 400 kilo crate.
Resisting drain:
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/243732): 13d6t5 8 vs. 2 drain.
Of course - there's the roll I needed when I was resisting 6 drain now that I'm only resisting 2. Arengee the Fickle, God of Sh!tty Luck, strikes again. No drain.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:00:01/01-06-15)
Nice work, Mal.

I'm going to give 8-bit and Poindexter the rest of the day to emerge from their holiday inertia. We'll advance tomorrow either way.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:03:45/01-06-15)
Given we've moved on, I'm guessing we don't need/want me to repair the droid and check him or continue to hack the biomonitor or anything?

If not, I'd be down for working on medical cocktails to safely keep the Nately's sedated.  We should have plenty of supplies with the medkit reloads we picked up.
Or I can start on stealing the RV, unless we don't want to do that now that we've kidnapped the Nately's.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:16:11/01-06-15)
You'll obviously have to take the droid with you to repair it. I don't think there was anything else you needed from the biomonitor but correct me if I'm mistaken.

@Zweiblumen Go ahead and roll Logic+Medicine to keep the Natelys sedated. You do have a plenty of supplies but not infinite. One sedation = one medkit use, using the general guideline that medkit rating = # of uses before recharge.

We still haven't devised a good way to take the snowmobile with us. Putting it on the roof would be Highly Unusual. I think the snowmobiles/ATVs are cool so I'm going to make it easy and have there be a trailer in the Nately's gararge. They have the snowmobile/ATV combo too, so now the question is do you want two snowmobiles or one snowmobile and one ATV.

I'm going to say that this is what Chino's been up to. The reality is he was probably slotting BTLs in the bathroom while taking a shower, but we'll pretend he was doing something productive instead.

@8-bit, if you're alive and lucid, post something about attaching the trailer to the RV. Pick a snowmobile+snowmobile or snowmobile+ATV combo.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:30:40/01-06-15)
Given we've moved on, I'm guessing we don't need/want me to repair the droid and check him or continue to hack the biomonitor or anything?

If not, I'd be down for working on medical cocktails to safely keep the Nately's sedated.  We should have plenty of supplies with the medkit reloads we picked up.
Or I can start on stealing the RV, unless we don't want to do that now that we've kidnapped the Nately's.

If Doc could hack Mr. Nately's comm, it might be a good idea to send a text saying something to the effect of, "We're down at the clinic.  I'll be damned if you were right.  Mom's having some diagnostic work done.  I'll let you know the results in the morning."  You know, WASP it up, or whatever, but it could go a long way to assuaging little Nately's fears about Mommy Dearest.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:36:11/01-06-15)
I'd feel better if the biomonitors at least reported them as conscious, in case they have a service or someone checks on them. I'd also like to have the security footage from the house cleaned up - typical cover your tracks type stuff. Speaking of covering tracks, it'd be nice if maybe Sam could attempt to hide our tracks going between the houses so that when our friends show up they don't immediately have an easy lead.


The trailer works. The conspicuousness of having them on the roof was why I was suggesting having someone drive the snowmobile until we were out of town, then put it on the roof. But as I said, the trailer works much better. As for what to take, I could go either way. The Snowmobiles are more immediately useful, but having an ATV provides some flexibility. I'd lean toward one of each for that reason. However, it depends on where we are headed.


Staying off the grid by boondocking somewhere in the wilderness has its advantages, but doesn't move things forward. Might be a good short term solution to recoup overnight that way, but the Matrix noise penalties and lack of access to vendors and potential buyers (and the need to keep the Nately's sedated) make this a short term solution at best. Maybe do that just long enough to heal up and take ownership of the RV.


Getting to Denver is probably a better long term goal as we have more contacts (and possible resources) there and jurisdictional options (though border crossings may present some difficulty). However, passing through Carbondale is risky if my prior ruse worked and they are looking for us there. Might make doubling back an option, but as Tec stated, it's a long road with very little in the way of turn offs, making it rather easy to patrol.


Once we have a destination, I am planning on forwarding delivery of the items we purchased to that town.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:39:11/01-06-15)
Meds (Not sure if I get to *use* the medkit or not to help :P)
Medicine roll to keep them sedated Medicine(5) + Logic(9) - Wounds(1) = 13 (http://orokos.com/roll/243812): 13d6t5 3
Medkit just in case (Rating 6 = 6) (http://orokos.com/roll/243813): 6d6t5 1
Heh, hope it's not *that* hard, 4 hits total.
I probably need seperate rolls for each of them.
Medicine roll to keep them sedated Medicine(5) + Logic(9) - Wounds(1) = 13 (http://orokos.com/roll/243814): 13d6t5 4
Medkit just in case (Rating 6 = 6) (http://orokos.com/roll/243815): 6d6t5 3
No botches so I didn't kill them, but if Doc thinks this'll be harder than that, he'll use edge to keep them under.  How long does one dose last?

For the Hacking
I know the RV is slaved to the Host, so I can use that as an in, anything lower device rating that that around?  If so, I'll go that route.
Here goes:
Deck Config:
  Agent; Stealth; Baby Monitor; Encryption
  A: 4 S: 6(7) D: 5 F: 7(8 )
Hacking the Nately's house (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16) (http://orokos.com/roll/243801): 16d6t5 9  (limit 7)
Good chance that'll work.
Then I'll need to hack the files, how long were we in there?  5 minutes?  I get 2-3 seconds per edit file action, so I need like 100 tests?  eek.  Tecumseh, lemme know how you want to handle it.  The joys of orokos, I can make the rolls easilly enough :P I've got a mark on her biomonitor, what do I need to do to have it report that everything is a-ok?
Hacking Mr. Nately's phone (really this time) (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16) (http://orokos.com/roll/243807): 16d6t5 1 Fail.  His phone has a mark on me (we can safely assume) and he's been notified, trying again:
Hacking Mr. Nately's phone (really this time) (again) (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16) (http://orokos.com/roll/243808): 16d6t5 6 (limit 7)
Can I then unlock the phone?  I don't see any rules for "locked devices" just files.  Here's assuming it's Crack File:
Unlocking Mr. Nately's Phone (Log 9 + Hacking 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 16) (http://orokos.com/roll/243810): 16d6t5 4 (limit 7) I've no idea what die pool I'm going against here, if it's more than a die pool of 10, he'll throw edge at it otherwise he won't bother.
Edge to re-roll misses (12) (http://orokos.com/roll/243811): 12d6t5 2 (Almost got him to his limit)

Once the phone is unlocked, Doc will hand it Ohanzee.

For the Plan(tm) I vote boondocking it for a full heal then moving on.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:32:19/01-06-15)
There were rating 1 devices in the house, and Tec mentioned that you could use that to mark the host. Though with your roll, you could simply do it from the RV and kill two birds with one stone.


I'm guessing that control device would work for having the biomonitor report what you desire. I don't think they were slaved to the house, so you will have to hack them separately (which you would have to do anyway). I think you already rolled for Mrs. Nately's earlier.


Successfully getting a mark on the phone "unlocks" it, though you might need additional marks in order to access additional features. Ohanzee has no need for his phone, so you should just hold on to it - maybe dig through it for useful info. Not that I have much idea what you would look for.



Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (20:51:34/01-06-15)
Before i post, lemme try and clear some things up.

The end plan was NOT to blow the house up? Just to burn it down? And to NOT leave explosive traps for our pursuers, correct?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (22:23:09/01-06-15)
That is correct. Killing legions of faceless minions was determined to be a waste of valuable resources. The working assumption is that they have a near limitless supply and aren't afraid to use them.

Which makes me wish I could assense one of them as I suspect they are infected with the same non - organic affliction we have, only more progressed, which inspires their fanaticism.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:35:09/01-06-15)
My responses in red below

There were rating 1 devices in the house, and Tec mentioned that you could use that to mark the host. Though with your roll, you could simply do it from the RV and kill two birds with one stone. We've left the house, so that ship sailed.  I wasn't able to get anything done in the house before you guys left.  I guess since I never IC'd leaving the house, I could stay behind and then come catch up to you guys.  That said, the roll is pretty good, and I'm confident it would work from the RV just fine.


I'm guessing that control device would work for having the biomonitor report what you desire. I don't think they were slaved to the house, so you will have to hack them separately (which you would have to do anyway). I think you already rolled for Mrs. Nately's earlier.  Control device might work?  Dunno, I can see needing to constantly do that though.  Just one "report a-ok" might work, but I don't know what to report to.  Dunno what to do about subsequent reports either, which is why I was asking.  I have indeed already hacked Mrs. Nately's but we haven't found Mr. Nately's yet.


Successfully getting a mark on the phone "unlocks" it, though you might need additional marks in order to access additional features. Ohanzee has no need for his phone, so you should just hold on to it - maybe dig through it for useful info. Not that I have much idea what you would look for.  Where did you read about the mark "unlocks" and the list of features?  I've not read any reference to any of this, but I've missed lots and lots that was right in front of my face, so just looking to learn here.  And Doc would hand Ohanzee the phone to send the message unless he remembers he's got con/etiquette.  Otherwise, a -1 on his 3 char isn't a very good die pool.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (00:31:15/01-07-15)
Since we aren't in combat, I'm thinking you could do whatever before we left the house. Basically we are largely doing our IC around the leaving of the houses, getting each character up to the point of boarding the RV ready to leave town.

As far as the biomonitors are concerned, and video surveillance for that matter, I'm not fond of the edit file rules requiring constant complex actions every round since you are bound to fail at least once for a sufficiently long task. In cases where the editing is particularly dynamic or complex, it makes sense, but if you are performing what essentially boils down to looping, I think that a single test or a longer interval makes sense. But this will depend on how Tec decides to play it.

As for marks unlocking devices, essentially everything is a matrix action. Gaining marks is what allows you to perform matrix actions on or using a device. There are a few exceptions, like working with files and driving a vehicle manually (most items seem to have a manual "interface" that can be used without requiring marks). Also, so far we have been playing that devices used to form personas can be left unlocked if the user was using it and hasn't properly logged off. I don't think that is RAW, but we've been playing that way since we jacked the Suv, so this is a Tabula Rasa specific exception.

Normally, you can't share marks, so actually unlocking a device for anyone to be able to just use it isn't allowed. You would have to have 4 marks and have the device invite marks from the users you want to share with, which requires being the owner of the device. The problem is that if you physically hold the device and the user wasn't given the opportunity to log off, how does it know that you aren't the original user? Biometrics, and brainwaves in the case of DNI, would likely allow this sort of constant authentication making obtaining an "unlocked" device nearly impossible. But until the matrix rulebook, this is largely left to the individual GM.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:30:03/01-07-15)
@Zweiblumen
The Natelys are sedated and will be out for the next 8 hours or so.

With 7 hits it doesn't make a ton of difference whether you hack a R1 device in the home or the R2 vehicle. I will note that Doc hasn't rebooted in a while so he's still accumulating OS.

Resisting Hack on the Fly: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/243900), an easy mark. That gives you a mark on the host too.

As for editing files, the "one edit per combat turn" is more for editing teammates out of video that might be actively monitored by security personnel. Editing an existing file - a log of footage, for example - is easier if you just want to delete it or make it a static image. It's more complex if you want to add realistic activity (people coming and going, etc.) but if the adjustment is relatively simple then one Edit will suffice.

Odds of rolling only 1 hit on 16 dice: about 1.4%. Nice work.

Mr. Nately's commlink resisting hacking: 4 hits and 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/243901), so failure the first time but success the second

Getting a mark on the commlink is enough to "unlock" it, although you'll still need to use matrix actions to perform any functions that require a mark. This isn't explicitly in the book; it's just an extrapolation from what is in the rules. Ohanzee doesn't have marks on the commlink himself so he would only be able to perform functions that don't require a mark, like Send Message. (I don't know why Send Message says "n/a (or 1)" for Marks Required. Let's treat it as 0 for now.)

You don't need to use the Crack File unless you're trying to read a protected file, so no need for that roll (or Edge).

You have a mark on Mrs. Nately's biomonitor. It knows where to report its data, so you would just need to spoof an "all clear" signal. It currently shows Mrs. Nately as sleeping deeply.

I think Mal and I are on the same page for most of this. As for Mrs. Nately's commlink still being active/unlocked, this isn't explicitly spelled out in the book either. It comes back to what Ownership is and how a device knows who it's mommy/daddy is. Biometrics likely play a roll, and since Mrs. Nately was actively using the device I'm grandfathering in your access to it. (Otherwise, it would be impossible for someone to hand their commlink to a friend or anyone else without the other person needing to hack it.) If there's ever a rulebook for the Matrix this may be explained more fully.

Current OS: 28. You'll be coming up on your 15-minute interval within the next five minutes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:21:55/01-07-15)
Since we aren't in combat, I'm thinking you could do whatever before we left the house. Basically we are largely doing our IC around the leaving of the houses, getting each character up to the point of boarding the RV ready to leave town.

I'm also of this impression, or I wouldn't have posted to move things along.  Since Tecumseh didn't respond to this, can we please get some clarification, Tec?

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:08:56/01-07-15)
Since we aren't in combat, I'm thinking you could do whatever before we left the house. Basically we are largely doing our IC around the leaving of the houses, getting each character up to the point of boarding the RV ready to leave town.

I'm also of this impression, or I wouldn't have posted to move things along.  Since Tecumseh didn't respond to this, can we please get some clarification, Tec?

Generally speaking, this is correct. Since we are not in initiative passes / combat turns the precise sequencing of events is more fluid and can be amended more easily. Just because Doc says that he's left the house doesn't preclude him from either 1) stepping back inside, or 2) mentioning that he did something before leaving.

The limit is that you are packing up quickly and trying to depart within 5-10 minutes. Anything that can be accomplished within a few minutes is fair game, but saying, "Oh and before I left the house I went back and painted the living room with a mural of the Last Supper to fulfill my Signature negative quality" won't work.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:13:55/01-07-15)
Thanks for the clarification everyone.  I'm guessing I'm being overly technical in the action moving along.  As all of you mentioned, we aren't in combat, so precise timing shouldn't matter.  Do we still want to fix the autodoc?  If so, Tecumseh, how long does Doc think it'll take?

The "crack file" was a "just in case it's the right thing to do" roll.  Figured it was easier for me to over-roll and let you throw things out than go back and forth with me not rolling enough :)

For the edit, he'll just loop the footage from an hour earlier in to hide the video of them, but not leave a glaring whole in the footage (once watched it'll be obvious, but just a cursoury glance at timestamps and such wouldn't see anything amiss).
Edit File video edit (Log 9 + Comp 5 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 15) (http://orokos.com/roll/244015): 15d6t5 2
Guessing that's gonna fail, he'll try again (-1 die?)
Edit File video edit (again) (Log 9 + Comp 5 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 - Retry 1 = 14) (http://orokos.com/roll/244016): 14d6t5 5
Better.

Once that is done, he'll reboot.  IC up after we decide on the autodoc.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:28:45/01-07-15)
I don't have any strong feelings about the auto-doc, but given our time constraints it may be more trouble than it's worth.  I think the big thing is sounding the all-clear from Mrs. Nately's bio-monitor.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:40:56/01-07-15)
Spoof Command Mrs. Nately's Biomonitor all clear Hacking(6) + Intuition(4) + Qualia(1) + VR(2) - Wounds(1)=12 (http://orokos.com/roll/244020): 12d6t5 3

I'll get the IC up shortly.  I think that should work for the Spoof, if not, I'll whack it again :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:52:43/01-07-15)
Now that I review the Repairing Drones section on p. 270, it appears that drones don't come back from overflow:

Quote
Drones have two damage tracks, Physical and Matrix.
Fill up either one and it’s bye-bye birdie as the drone is
either irreparably destroyed and joins the spare parts
collections, or it gets bricked and it’s time to completely
rewire its guts. But up until that final box is filled, damage
done to a drone can be repaired.

No need to subtract a die from the second Edit File roll. Since it's a resisted test - and not extended - you don't have to subtract a die for a second try. (Like in combat, you don't subtract dice the second and third time you try to shoot someone.)

This is a tougher test since you're now working against the host.

Resist edit #1: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/244022), didn't work
Resist edit #2: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/244022), edit succeeds

Biomonitor resist spoof: 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/244023), spoof successful

Overwatch Score is now 34.

I have a meeting in two hours I need to be ready for. I'll be back on afterward.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (14:38:45/01-07-15)
I'll have something up before the end of the day.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:22:07/01-07-15)
@Tec: What's the nearest hospital?  I'm just going to use that to make life easier.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:25:50/01-07-15)
Aspen Valley Hospital. It is more like an upscale clinic than a full hospital, but it would be appropriate in a non-emergency situation like this.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:17:16/01-07-15)
Thanks!  IC on it's way.

And thanks Mal for Ohanzee's wordsmithing there :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (22:31:24/01-07-15)
I'm reviewing IC to get something up. You've already seen my post in the Vampire Hunters thread (I cannot pronounce or spell that new PbP's name to save my life). Sorry for the delay.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:52:32/01-08-15)
Since I noticed that no one Assensed the old folks, I'm going to do that really quickly. I'll just do one roll, tell me if you need two. I also forget if we are using the whole "Specifically Looking" bonus for Assensing rolls.

Assensing the Old Couple (http://orokos.com/roll/244218): 5d6t5 3 [1, 6, 5, 6, 3]

Specifically Looking Bonus, if applicable (http://orokos.com/roll/244219): 3d6t5 2 [4, 5, 6]

Well, that's going to get me a lot more information than I expected. I just kind of wanted to make sure they were mundane, but I guess I'll take what I can get.

ETA: Well, Ohanzee did do an Astral Perception, but I don't know if that's really Assensing, per se.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:29:15/01-08-15)
Yes, Ohanzee checked to see if they were awakened before Ace and he were let into the house, but no one has peeped them since they became unconscious. Might be some useful info to glean.

Since you are not taking the snow mobile, does that mean we are taking two ATVs?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:44:28/01-08-15)
Assensing and Astral Perception are synonymous.

The Assensing reveals that they're both unconscious and highly sedated. Outside of the obvious chems that Doc is pumping into Mrs. Nately, it is clear that she has low blood pressure. Mrs. Nately does not have any cyber or bioware, although she could benefit from a synthacardium. Mrs. Nately has an electrical burn wound on her chest; her body is having a hard time healing the damage, although the enforced rest is helping somewhat.

I'm guessing that 8-bit missed the part where I said there was a trailer that could take two vehicles (snowmobiles or ATVs or one of each).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (11:32:48/01-08-15)
Sigh, I hate myself sometimes.

Chino would have Assensed anyway, so that works for me. Completely missed that it could fit the snowmobile in. I'm thinking it wouldn't be worth it to retcon it, we can just take 2 ATVs? Assuming everyone else is okay with that.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (11:42:12/01-08-15)
Sigh, I hate myself sometimes.

Chino would have Assensed anyway, so that works for me. Completely missed that it could fit the snowmobile in. I'm thinking it wouldn't be worth it to retcon it, we can just take 2 ATVs? Assuming everyone else is okay with that.

Having 1 snowmobile might be good for the present terrain, but I don't have strong thoughts about the subject.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (12:36:33/01-08-15)
I second rednblack.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (12:50:01/01-08-15)
All right, let me do a minor retcon then, sorry about that all.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (13:00:53/01-08-15)
Hopefully that was sufficiently minor and adequate. Sorry for the whole confusion with my absence.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:37:22/01-08-15)
Looks great. Katsina would have voted for at least one snowmobile, as all of our likely destinations are covered in snow at this time of year. (I presume we're not going to Aztlan.)

IC post coming. Next step is to figure out a destination or, perhaps more importantly, a route out of town.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:48:44/01-08-15)
That still leaves us with the decision of where to go. My thoughts on this (as well as the ATV/snowmobile decision) are here (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg342550#msg342550). In broad strokes, going north takes us through Carbondale, which may be where their search is concentrated if my earlier ruse was successful. If they discover we were in Aspen, all of the folks in Carbondale might head there - passing right by us on the road. Going south leaves us few turnouts, etc and therefore makes it easy to set up checkpoints that we couldn't avoid. Staying in Aspen risks being found as they perform a search starting from the Moran house, since one of the best protections from the critter/spirit Search power is distance.


I think north through Carbondale might prove the best option, with a boon-docking stop off before we get there. This gives them enough chance to divert many of the resources from Carbondake once they find our old hideout in Aspen, gives us enough distance to ensure the Search power fails, and prevents us from running into the troop movement from Carbondale to Aspen. We have options to avoid roadblocks/checkpoints as there are more turn out options, and we should be able to skirt Carbondale (or at least stick to the outskirts as we pass through) once we get there.


I'll do an IC with similar arguments from Ohanzee, but thought I'd bring them up here as well.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:56:09/01-08-15)
Katsina is going to agree with a lot of that.

Going to roll Katsina's Area Knowledge: PCC skill for backroads and alternative routes. She'll have a high threshold since her knowledge skill is at a pretty general level: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/244291), yeah, suck it, GridGuide!

Katsina's recommended route is going to look something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/DV4L4. Trying to avoid 82 as much as possible, since that where her Detect Enemies spell picked up a hit.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:33:10/01-08-15)
Doc is gonna get ready for the worst.  Load up his arm and reconfigure his deck.

Agent, Decryption, Encryption, Mugger
A: 7(8 ) S: 4 D: 6 F: 5(6)

Agent is currently on Matrix Overwatch, looking for silently running icons and such.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (15:14:40/01-08-15)
I'd like to make a knowledge test to see what Ace thinks little Nately's response would be if we contacted him as kidnappers who either wanted a ransom or were going to have Mr. Nately make good on a previous debt.

LOG(4)+biz(Megacorp)(5) kidnapping SOP (http://orokos.com/roll/244316): 9d6t5 5

Holy shit, I guess it makes sense that Ace would be intimately familiar with just this kind of case.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:45:32/01-08-15)
Yes, it seems that this is Ace's specialty. I might have given Ace some bonus dice, given how perfectly tailored this is to his area of expertise, but he has already hit his Mental limit.

The junior Nately sounds very young, maybe 19-20. How familiar he is with corporate protocols is an open question. (The age difference between the elder Natelys and the younger Nately is also significant. It's possible Nately III is a grandson rather than a son, or perhaps the Natelys were wealthy enough to afford the medical attention to conceive at age 50+, but not so wealthy as to afford leonization. Or maybe there's a weird nano-molecular disease going around that has people nervous about gene treatments.) If Nately III is "halfway around the globe", Ace would guess that he is attending university abroad, or perhaps on a Grand Tour, but is probably not involved in day-to-day life at the corporation yet.

The old man is still on the Board of Directors, having stepped down as CEO 10+ years ago. While he probably provides strategic vision and oversight, his involvement is decidedly more removed. While having your Chairman kidnapped is certainly an embarrassment, it's not a threat to the day-to-day operations of a firm.

The young Nately's response will probably be to contact corporate security first. Depending on their local resources, corporate security may or may not contact local authorities for assistance depending on the perceived threat to the corporate asset. Nately Enterprises certainly wouldn't want this to become public if they could help it, but PCC's SecForce is a formidable and valuable resource if the corp doesn't have local operatives of their own. SecForce would not respond kindly to kidnappers in Aspen. In another situation they might de-prioritize it as an extraction attempt - the usual corporate shenanigans - but nobody's dumb enough to think that the Chairman of the Board can be extracted from the firm that bears his family name.

But to answer the original question, corporate negotiators would reach out to make contact and try to gather information, including a list of demands. Corporate security would model the potential cost of an operation to retrieve the asset versus the stated demands of the kidnappers and the likelihood that the kidnappers will keep their end of the bargain. Whether or not the firm takes it personally (since corporations are people, don't you know) that you've kidnapped the patriarch, and whether or not that changes the equation or their response, is an unknown. Maybe they are cold-blooded bean counters willing to let the mostly-retired Nately III drift in the wind, or maybe they'll unleash hell, looking for vengeance against anyone who would tarnish the family image. In either instance, they would try to make a deal, but who knows whether they would play it straight or if they'd really just be buying time to get their assets in place to murderize the team.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:15:02/01-08-15)
Given all the negative CON modifiers we're facing, I think we should go straight intimidation.  Also, Ace is willing to do any of things if it comes down to it, and it keeps the team safe.  If Ohanzee and Ace -- possibly others -- did this together, could we make it a teamwork test?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:18:48/01-08-15)
Sure, good-cop bad-cop is a classic. Only now it has the additional nuances of magic-cop Robo-cop too.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (17:42:12/01-08-15)
Would someone mind giving me the stats on that rifle Sam picked up as well as reminding me how much/what kind of ammo he's got for it?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (17:46:09/01-08-15)
In either instance, they would try to make a deal, but who knows whether they would play it straight or if they'd really just be buying time to get their assets in place to murderize the team.

Seeing as how all we're really trying to do with this is buy US some time, I'd say that works out well, eh?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:50:57/01-08-15)
Pioneer 60. I'm unsure about ammo, but I believe it's flechettes.

As for buying time, yes but ransoming means more people on our tail and the Buffalo being a liability.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:58:49/01-08-15)
Sounds good. I think Ace should lead. I'll heal Mrs. Nately and use Leadership to support his plan.
Heal Spell on Mrs. Nately (F3, centered) [Magic 6 + Spellcasting 5 + Power Focus 2 - Wounds 3) (http://orokos.com/roll/244363): 10d6t5 3
That heals all 3 boxes of physical damage she has. I actually should have went force 6, since at F-4 drain and minimum drain 2 there is no reason not to, but it didn't make a difference anyway. I am dropping the illusion prior to casting so I only have the Wound penalty.
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1] (http://orokos.com/roll/244364): 13d6t5 5 vs. 2 drain, so no damage sustained.
And the Leadership test for the Intimidate Teamwork:
Teamwork test for Intimidating Ed III [CHA 6 + Leadership 6 - Wounds 3] (http://orokos.com/roll/244365): 9d6t5 2
Subpar, but at least I'm not the primary on this...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:33:23/01-08-15)
Ammo for the Pioneer 60 is flechette. Quantity, we'll say 20 rounds. There is are regular rounds and hollow points for a heavy pistol too. See here:

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18749.msg334806#msg334806

Base stats for the Pioneer 60 are Acc 5, 10P, -1 AP, RC 2, SS, 5(m). Comes with a shock pad. Add flechette modifiers to that.

Ace bought shotgun slugs at the sporting goods store but no hunting rifle ammunition.

<<Display most recent 48 hours firing record for XM30.>>

I am skeptical that a shadowrunner would keep logs of their illegal firearms usage, but this is just too creative to pass up. Also, I want to applaud the effort of trying to piece together last night's events. Let me do some math and I'll post the results ICly.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (18:36:04/01-08-15)
<<Display most recent 48 hours firing record for XM30.>>

I am skeptical that a shadowrunner would keep logs of their illegal firearms usage, but this is just too creative to pass up. Also, I want to applaud the effort of trying to piece together last night's events. Let me do some math and I'll post the results ICly.

I'm not even sure that's a thing that a smartlink DOES. But it seemed like a good idea. If nothing comes of it, then so be it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:37:33/01-08-15)
Well, guys, I tried

CHA(+4) Intimidation(+1)-NPC hostile(-3) Desired result advantageous to NPC (+1) Imposing (+1) Outnumber (+2) Weapon (+2) Leadership (+1) Edge(+4) (http://orokos.com/roll/244384): 13d6h5 2

Awful, awful roll.  Hopefully, I missed some modifiers, or I get some bonus dice somehow (fraggit, there's no bambi eyes emoji)

I probably should have saved the edge to re-roll failures, but that would've dropped my pool to 9, and I was hoping for some exploding 6s. 

ETA:

<<Display most recent 48 hours firing record for XM30.>>

That's awesome.  Even if nothing comes of it, good thinkin'
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (18:38:43/01-08-15)
i have HORRIBLE luck with exploding 6's.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:04:32/01-08-15)
Can Doc help out with the teamwork at all, he may actually have intimidate, but worth a shot.
Edit File hostage video edit (Log 9 + Comp 5 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 15) (http://orokos.com/roll/244388): 15d6t5 2

Wow, Orokos is getting back at us for something!  Dunno what multiple hits do for me, but all I'm trying to do is blur the faces and voices for any of our team in the frame, which should only be Ace and Ohanzee.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:05:41/01-08-15)
The math on exploding sixes is tricky. Basically, short of having 18 dice to roll, exploding sixes aren't likely to get you much (one 6 rolled per 6 dice, 1/3 of which will result in an additional hit). Rerolling failures is usually the better bet. In short, an average exploding sixes will get you one extra hit per 18 dice (adding your Edge to the roll is useful if you have a high edge at one extra hit per 3 Edge).


So, in this case with your 4 Edge, you are looking at, rounding to nearest, 2 extra hits (one from the Edge dice, one from exploding sixes). Rerolling on 9 dice is also two extra hits (from the average 6 misses on 9 dice), so it's largely a wash.


I didn't realize that your Intimidate was so low, only allowing you to use one hit from teamwork. We might have had better luck with one of the other Intimidators. Both Sam and Kat have the same dice pool, but can use more dice from a teamwork test due to their higher Intimidate skill. Oddly, we have no idea what Chino's Cha and Intimidate are. But, nothing will save you from a poor roll - ask Ohanzee.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:10:35/01-08-15)
I thought Ace's intimidation was higher as well until I went to roll. :(

I'm going to guess that Nately's intimidation is rather low, and he should be facing some penalties as well, so with average CHA, we might scrape by.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:20:31/01-08-15)
Chino has Intimidation 0.

As a rule of thumb, multiply your Edge dice pool by 18/7. This gives you the cutoff point between where you should add your Edge pre-roll (lower) or use it to reroll non-hits (higher).

For example, Ace's Edge is 4, multiplied by 18, divided by 7 = 10.28. Thus Ace should be adding Edge pre-roll for dicepools of 10 or less (as he did) or using it to reroll failures for dicepools of 11 or more. So rednblack did the right thing mathematically but was unlucky.

Per the Errata, Intimidation is resisted by Willpower+Charisma, so basically composure. That said, I rolled the wrong pool first there will be two rolls below.

Let's see how young Nately's composure holds up: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/244390) + 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/244391) = 3 hits

Doc doesn't have any problem editing the video feed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:28:32/01-08-15)
2 questions.

1. Even if not intimidated, junior might still think that doing as told is the smartest bet, correct?

2. Should Ace follow through on his threats, are we allowed another roll with the causing pain modifier -- I know my phrasing is off but I'm AFB. I believe that's meant to be the NPC in question, but I could see it applying for family/romantic partners/etc. I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Then again, maybe the dice reflect that junior is a cold-blooded prick who's been waiting for the old man to bite it r years so he can step to the helm.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (19:55:32/01-08-15)
I'm not going to lie, I hate Push the Limit with Edge. It's so unlikely, in my experience, that it gets you that many extra hits that it's almost not worth it.

And yes, the mysterious Chino. Who knows how charismatic he is? He slyly avoids all social checks.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:12:26/01-08-15)
Push the Limit has its place. It's useful for when your limit is very low (which is less common), or when your base dice pool is low but you have a fat wad of Edge you can add to it.

Say that you're Doc and you want to make a Stealth roll. His Agility is clumsy (2), his skill level is amatuer (1), and so his overall odds are mush, but adding in Edge (7) pre-roll and everything changes. Keeps the odds of glitching down too.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (20:14:00/01-08-15)
True, it has its place. And it allows for some amazingly lucky rolls. It's just that going with the "average" (since no one rolls average) in math, it usually doesn't do that much.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:21:25/01-08-15)
Does doc have any intimidate to help out with team work or is it too late for that?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:55:37/01-08-15)
Ace could only use one hit from teamwork, so even though my roll sucked, one of my hits had to go to waste. Also, from IC it looks like he's already called, so there is no point in continuing the charade.


We need to get somewhere where we can take the RV offline without being conspicuous. I'm hoping the side roads will work for that. If our Matrix visitor isn't PCC, we'd like to avoid getting them involved.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (21:24:40/01-08-15)
Mal has it. OOCly, Junior had already called, so even if the Intimidation had succeeded all it would have done was make him feel bad about himself. If Ace had really broken him over his knee then maybe he would have begged and pleaded for security to back off, but that didn't happen.

Doc may want to pay attention to the silent device. Initiative: 21 (http://orokos.com/roll/244428)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:37:24/01-08-15)
Ouch, not even enough time to get into VR :(  At least I already set my deck up for this!
Initiative 7+1d6 (http://orokos.com/roll/244444): 1d6+7 11 At least I'll get two passes.  Here's my first one.

CR1 IP1:
Free Action - Say: Matrix Alert!
Simple Action - Send Message: <<<@Agent [Doc] Identify Icon!>>> (Want it to get as much info on the icon as it can for me)
Simple Action - Switch Interface Mode: VR
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (00:37:20/01-09-15)
Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/244460): 7+2d6 17

Ace won't know anything's up until 11, so first pass is talking to little Nately.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:57:41/01-09-15)
Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/244482): 1d6+7 12
Same as Ace - gotta wait for the news at 11.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:17:45/01-09-15)
Initiative (Intuition 3 + Reaction 6 + 2d6) (http://orokos.com/roll/244485): 9+2d6 16 [5, 2]

I'm assuming it isn't a stretch to say that Chino started moving the RV forward as soon as he heard the call start to go south. He'll be moving this behemoth along the route that Katsina showed.

IC incoming.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:25:09/01-09-15)
Forgot the agents initiative.
Agent's Initiative 11+4d6 (http://orokos.com/roll/244487): 4d6+11 26
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:26:31/01-09-15)
Haven't checked the vehicle rules in a while, so if there's anything I can do to try and boost the Acceleration and/or Speed (although Chino doesn't want to crash the damn thing ... he already did that once), then I'll want to do that.

Going to wait until tomorrow though.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (16:24:31/01-09-15)
Is there a roof hatch in the RV?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (16:41:36/01-09-15)
Yes, there is a roof hatch, although it is not easily accessible. It looks like it is intended to be use as an emergency exit (say, if the RV is tipped over on its side) rather than to access the roof. There's no ladder up to it or anything like that.

The interior ceilings of the RV are about 3 meters, which may or may not leave Sam's head (or horns) brushing the ceiling. Ace could theoretically sit on Sam's shoulders to shoot out the hatch, but good luck trying to dodge anything that comes back in your direction.

Trying to get some work done at the office. I should be able to advance things later this afternoon.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:29:14/01-09-15)
Agent: 26 (hold action, pending instructions)
Silent Device: 21
Ace: 17 (hold action)
Chino: 16 (hold action)
Ohanzee: 12 (hold action)
Doc: 11
Agent: 11 (act on held action)

Silent device is ignoring you and paying attention to Nately Sr's commlink. None of my online dice rollers are working at the moment so you'll just have to trust me.

Mystery action: 3 hits
Nately Sr's commlink: 7 hits

Doc acts on 11, sending his alert to the group, his instructions to the agent, and then going VR.

Agent: 5 hits
Silent Device: 2 hits

@Zweiblumen, per the Changing Initiative rules on p. 160 you should roll your additional dice and add them to your total.

Everyone else can take an action if they want, although I'm imagining most of this will be confined to myself and Zweiblumen for now. Zweiblumen, after you've made your roll we can continue to the second pass.

IC incoming.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (04:33:17/01-10-15)
Change in intiative (3+3d6) (http://orokos.com/roll/244825): 3d6+3 15
I'm now at action 16?  (11 - 10 + 15?)

Roll for agent to perceive the Icon:
Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls = 14 (http://orokos.com/roll/244826): 14d6t5 7 (limit 6)


Should have read the IC post first.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (20:24:25/01-10-15)
@Zweiblumen
Let's go ahead and do the second initiative phase. It's possible the others could intervene but it seems unlikely.

CT1 IP2
Agent: 16
Doc: 15
Novatech Navigator: 11

I believe Doc's current configuration is:
Agent, Decryption, Encryption, Mugger
A: 7(8 ) S: 4 D: 6 F: 5(6)

Go ahead and roll for your Agent and Doc.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (22:17:15/01-10-15)
@Zweiblumen
Let's go ahead and do the second initiative phase. It's possible the others could intervene but it seems unlikely.

CT1 IP2
Agent: 16
Doc: 15
Novatech Navigator: 11

I believe Doc's current configuration is:
Agent, Decryption, Encryption, Mugger
A: 7(8 ) S: 4 D: 6 F: 5(6)

Go ahead and roll for your Agent and Doc.

Yes, that's his config... It ended up two pages back, I should have re-posted it again.  Sorry about that.

CT1 IP2
Agent: Hold action (waiting for further instructions I'm assuming.  I should have told him to do something after scanning it :()
Doc:
Complex Action: Brute Force Mark 2 marks (Log 9 + CC 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 - two marks 4 = 13) (http://orokos.com/roll/245051): 13d6t5 6 (limit 8)


I need to figure out how to get the agent to do something else useful :(  Need a spare simple action to send it a command via Send Message.  I'll be smarter about it *next* fight, assuming I'm alive.  Though the last time I had it get really involved, I regreted it... I guess going full defense would be the smart thing to do.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (22:39:02/01-10-15)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no physical threat right now that Sam ought be reacting too, correct?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (23:00:03/01-10-15)
Correct. No one else really knows what is up.

Zweiblumen, the agent will continue with its previous instructions until informed otherwise. We can use the roll you made previously prior to realizing that I had already rolled.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (23:17:23/01-10-15)
Re: roof hatch, it sounds like an easy jump for Ace, or Sam can just stand I. Tippy-toes. Cool. Just so long as we have a way to lay down fire on our 6.

Upon hearing "matrix threat," Ace will want whoever is holding Nately comms to shut them down, and will examine his own comm to see if any MARKs are on it.

The comms we got from the hunters are currently off, right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:20:18/01-11-15)
Hunters comms should be off.  AFAIK no one is being protected by Doc except for Ohanzee and maybe Ace's.  I can't remember.  I'm pretty sure Chino and Sam cut me off after the stunt I pulled and Kat never gave me access.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (01:25:27/01-11-15)
Hunters comms should be off.  AFAIK no one is being protected by Doc except for Ohanzee and maybe Ace's.  I can't remember.  I'm pretty sure Chino and Sam cut me off after the stunt I pulled and Kat never gave me access.

Ace has shut down and rebooted his comm a number of times, so he's probably on his own right now. With everything slaved to his transys Avalon he should be ok, but it beer hurts to check.

Also, since Ace's plans are pretty boring right now I'm gonna refrain from an IC post until I have more to add.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:46:43/01-11-15)
Turning off wireless is a Free Action, but it is up to the GM how many of those you get per IP (usually one, and I don't see why this would be an exception). So far, my IP 1 is
CT 1 IP 1
Free - Talk
Simple (converted to Free) or Free - Text
Simple (converted to Free) - Turn off wireless on Mrs. Nately's biomonitor
Possibly another Simple Action if allowed a second Free Action


CT 1 IP 2
Free - Turn off wireless on Mr. Nately's biomonitor
Simple or Complex (not sure) - look for other items on the bodies to turn off wireless for.
The rest of this pass depends on the result of the previous action and whether it is a Simple Action or not.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (01:52:44/01-11-15)
@Mal, where is Mr. Nately's biomonitor?  Doc still not been able to find it, do you have it?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:55:11/01-11-15)
As for the roof hatch, it depends on what your goal is. Ace would certainly have no trouble hopping up to do a pull-up, although how he'd support himself while shooting remains to be seen. He could stand on the roof but that creates additional risks.

Sam could probably use the Firing Around a Corner trick with his Ares Alpha and his smartlink+goggles combo. I would think he's tall enough to stick his arm out the hatch.

@rednblack, you can roll Computer+Intuition for Matrix Perception to look for marks.

The commlinks from the hunters are off, yes.

IP2
Agent: 16 - Matrix Perception: 7 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/244826) (edit: 1 hit over limit but I'm too tired to retcon)
Navigator defense: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/245088) + 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/245090) (dice I forgot) = 3 hits

Agent will learn and report that the current Navigator configuration is Attack 3, Sleaze 6, Data Processing 4, Firewall 5

The Navigator is going on Full Defense.

Doc: 15 - Brute Force for 2 Marks: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/245051) (edit: 1 hit over limit but I'm too tired to retcon)
Navigator defense: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/245094), this guy doesn't really want to live

Doc gets his two marks. Two net hits means you cause a free point of Matrix damage.

Navigator soak 1 DV: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/245095), damage soaked

Navigator: 11 - 10 interrupt = 1: Erase Mark: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/245097), limit 3

@Zweiblumen, roll to protect one of your marks.

Katsina will go on Full Matrix Defense.

IC post coming. I already have Doc's next round. People can chime in as they wish.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (02:01:16/01-11-15)
As for the roof hatch, it depends on what your goal is. Ace would certainly have no trouble hopping up to do a pull-up, although how he'd support himself while shooting remains to be seen. He could stand on the roof but that creates additional risks.

If it is Ace, he'll go prone on the top of the RV.

@rednblack, you can roll Computer+Intuition for Matrix Perception to look for marks.

The commlinks from the hunters are off, yes.

Oh, he'll just reboot then. No sense in risking a roll when he can't really do anything to begin with. After reboot is complete Ace will go full matrix defense.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:04:09/01-11-15)
Defending Mark (Will 5 + FW 6 = 11) (http://orokos.com/roll/245100): 11d6t5 3
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:04:53/01-11-15)
Also, is Send Message a free action or a simple action?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:07:49/01-11-15)
Hunters comms should be off.  AFAIK no one is being protected by Doc except for Ohanzee and maybe Ace's.  I can't remember.  I'm pretty sure Chino and Sam cut me off after the stunt I pulled and Kat never gave me access.

Aye, Chino probably never gave access back. He was pretty messed up last night (mentally) and forgot to do it today.

Chino would also reboot his commlink when he hears about Matrix threats; although he wants that back on ASAP so that he can pull up the ARO map again.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:16:16/01-11-15)
Turning off wireless is a Free Action, but it is up to the GM how many of those you get per IP (usually one, and I don't see why this would be an exception).

You get one (1) Free Action per IP but I GM that you may convert Simple Actions into Free Actions. Thus you can have up to three (3) Free Actions if you cash in your Complex Action for two (2).

Turning off wireless functionality is free if you're the owner. (If you're not the owner, turning off something else's wireless could be an attack.) I'm going to rule that turning it off manually is a Simple Action.

You don't know if Mr. Nately has a biomonitor. If he does, you don't know where it is. You can roll Perception.

Also, is Send Message a free action or a simple action?

Send Message is a Free Action if it is short (for example, a short sentence). This is using the Speak/Text/Transmit Phrase combat action from p. 164. If you're using DNI (datajack or trodes) and spend a Simple you can send up to a short paragraph. This is from the Send Message matrix action on p. 242.

Defending Mark (Will 5 + FW 6 = 11) (http://orokos.com/roll/245100): 11d6t5 3

I think you can add your VR bonus to defense. I've been playing it that way. If this is wrong, someone let me know, but I figure defending against a "matrix action" is a much of action as the initiating action itself.

Either way, mark defended.

Still working on that IC post.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:54:38/01-11-15)
Also, is Send Message a free action or a simple action?

Send Message is a Free Action if it is short (for example, a short sentence). This is using the Speak/Text/Transmit Phrase combat action from p. 164. If you're using DNI (datajack or trodes) and spend a Simple you can send up to a short paragraph. This is from the Send Message matrix action on p. 242.

Glad I asked!  My version says Simple Action instead of Free Action.  That changes my tactics somewhat.  I'll use my free action to tell the agent to protect the 'deck.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:18:22/01-11-15)
Minuteman initiative for CT2: 25 (http://orokos.com/roll/245121)

Off to bed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (03:48:13/01-11-15)
Doc's Initiative 4d6+10 (http://orokos.com/roll/245119): 4d6+10 18 He'll spend edge to jump to the front of the initiative order.
Agent's Initiative 11+4d6 (http://orokos.com/roll/245117): 4d6+11 30 Damn wish I'd gotten a roll like that for Doc!

Actions already sent to Tec.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (04:07:43/01-11-15)
Minutemen, I fuckin' knew it. Not sure how Ace could have exploited it, but I knew the Natelys were some "X"reich motherfuckers.  OOC, I'm worried that we stirred up some shit with some secret society types, but Ace won't be able to put that together unless he hears something about what the opposing icon looks like.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (04:31:09/01-11-15)
Perception (Looking for wireless devices on Mr. Nately) [Perception 3 + Intuition 4 + Specifically Looking 3 - Wounds 3] (http://orokos.com/roll/245131): 7d6t5 3


Not sure if specifically looking applies if I broaden my search to any wireless device. If not, then I'll limit my search to just the biomonitor.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:31:08/01-11-15)
Doc has one-shotted the enemy decker. I will let him write it up ICly.

Ohanzee, after a careful search of Mr. Nately, does not find a biomonitor. Either he does not have one or it is part of his headware suite that Ohanzee can see on the astral.

I'd like a round of posts from everyone of what the PCs are doing in anticipation of running into trouble. Also, your general location in the RV. Chino is driving although he does not need to be; he could program Katsina's route into GridGuide easily enough. The passenger seat is currently empty. In the RV, their are multiple places to sit or stand, including the kitchen/dining area, the bathroom, and the bedroom. These posts can be IC or OOC, but IC earns you participation credit!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (19:39:29/01-11-15)
Sam will go where Ohanzee tells him, but he'd prefer the passenger seat, where he has the most range of vision/fire.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:42:31/01-11-15)
I think you can add your VR bonus to defense. I've been playing it that way. If this is wrong, someone let me know, but I figure defending against a "matrix action" is a much of action as the initiating action itself.

Either way, mark defended.

Still working on that IC post.

I never really thought about it, but if you include the VR bonus, do you include noise/distance "bonuses" as well?

IC post about cybercombat and location in the RV and a few other things coming up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:47:01/01-11-15)
I never really thought about it, but if you include the VR bonus, do you include noise/distance "bonuses" as well?

No, those are explicitly mentioned on p. 231: "Noise never applies to defense or resistance tests."

It's possible that a resistance test is not a "matrix action" and should not qualify for a VR bonus, but I don't know of anywhere that the rules say so explicitly. Since it affects both sides equally, we can play it either way.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:59:34/01-11-15)
Let's add it then, as it's another reason to *not* be in AR.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (20:15:06/01-11-15)
Minutemen, I fuckin' knew it. Not sure how Ace could have exploited it, but I knew the Natelys were some "X"reich motherfuckers.  OOC, I'm worried that we stirred up some shit with some secret society types, but Ace won't be able to put that together unless he hears something about what the opposing icon looks like.

Dunno if Doc would know the same things you do (I don't know the significance of the Minutemen reference).  To not meta game (I know Tec said that it's almost impossible for Doc to meta, but it makes me feel like I'm cheating :P) he made a pretty straightforward yet still somewhat oblique reference to it in his report of what happened.  He'll respond to any questions thrown his way.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (22:44:00/01-11-15)
I'd like a round of posts from everyone of what the PCs are doing in anticipation of running into trouble. Also, your general location in the RV. Chino is driving although he does not need to be; he could program Katsina's route into GridGuide easily enough. The passenger seat is currently empty. In the RV, their are multiple places to sit or stand, including the kitchen/dining area, the bathroom, and the bedroom. These posts can be IC or OOC, but IC earns you participation credit!

Chino is definitely driving this thing. If we are under attack from the Matrix, there is no way he's letting the computer control the car. I'll get an IC up.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (00:12:32/01-12-15)
I have a bunch of actions in there, so it will probably take a few CT to do them all (I'm not sure we are still in initiative after the Minuteman was fought off, but just in case), but I see them largely as this:
CT 1 IP 2
Talk
Talk to spirit
Reboot all my devices


Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/245404): 1d6+7 10
CT 2 IP 1
Search Mr. Nately
Switch commlink to running silent
Nod to Katsina and move to front of RV


He will want to be sitting. If he can do so and get a view out of the front without taking the passenger seat, then that's best. If he can't get a usable view out the front window, then he'll settle for close physical proximity. I'm guessing that he'll need to project, so a seat that he won't fallout of is key and once projecting, the windows stop mattering. You are familiar with the layout of the RV, so place me where you think best suits my needs.


Just to make sure I am understanding this right: if the RV goes wireless off, it will attract the attention of the authorities. It is currently protected by the host from the cabin. So we have to leave it wireless on, but it'd be a pretty tough hack for anyone not an authorized spider for the Nately's house. We can't join it to Doc's PAN because we aren't the owner. So our only option is to drive it as is and hope it stays safe. Once out of town we might be able to turn off the wireless without much concern about the authorities. Does that pretty much sum things up?


Also, the Nately's commlinks are still wireless on. Who has them? I think Doc has Mr. Nately's, but I lost track of who has Mrs. Nately's (probably me). If I have it, I'll be turning it wireless off before searching Mr. Nately and moving the other actions to the next IP (or CT as I only get one IP) as needed.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (00:31:47/01-12-15)
We're out of IPs. Open posting for now.

This is the layout to the RV. In my head the sofa bed (where Doc is now) and the kitchen swap places but the rest of it looks pretty spot-on. There's a chair behind the passenger seat that sounds like it would work for Ohanzee.

(http://www.fivecornersrv.com/HolidayRamblerfloorplan.gif)

There are windows to the sides but none to the rear. O'HD indicates overhead storage.

The RV is no longer slaved to the Nately's host. As Mal said it can't be slaved to Doc's commlink since you aren't the owner so the best bet is probably to turn the wireless off or it will be vulnerable to an easy hack. Running it without wireless is not necessarily a red flag to the authorities. It might make them raise an eyebrow but it won't trigger any alarm unless the vehicle is maneuvering oddly, e.g. fishtailing on the ice while engaged in a slow-moving gun battle.

At this point I presume the Natelys' commlinks are off. Whoever wants them can have them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:26:52/01-12-15)
Cool. Yeah, I'll take that seat and buckle up. I've turned all of the Nately's gear I could find wireless off and all of my gear is freshly rebooted and wireless off except my commlink, which is running silent and slaved to Doc.


I would have assumed that the overhead storage is over the window as the line for the outer wall is hollow, indicating a window. But since the image is merely an approximation of what the RV looks like, we'll go ahead and treat that line there as solid.


I'm not going to astrally project yet as I have good sight lines (the front window and two side windows).
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (04:49:39/01-12-15)
Just FYI I'm fairly confident they don't have a physical location for us yet, and Doc said as much in char.  He's more confident in it than I am.  He stopped the decker from getting any marks on anything.  And with almost everything running silently except for Doc we are doing pretty well.  And Doc will go silent once he's done doing a couple of things in the matrix.

I think we *might* get out of Aspen in no more than 2 or 3 peices :P
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (11:34:25/01-12-15)
True. I'm not sure how large their presence is in Aspen - it's possibe they  have ties to local law enforcement and can get our location via GridGuide or they may have spotters that know what the RV looks like that might be able to notice it as it travels through town. Or maybe they have access to real-time satellite imaging. We hope that Trace Icon is their best (or only) option for obtaining our location, but I'm the paranoid type.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:01:01/01-12-15)
Minutemen, I fuckin' knew it. Not sure how Ace could have exploited it, but I knew the Natelys were some "X"reich motherfuckers.  OOC, I'm worried that we stirred up some shit with some secret society types, but Ace won't be able to put that together unless he hears something about what the opposing icon looks like.

Dunno if Doc would know the same things you do (I don't know the significance of the Minutemen reference).  To not meta game (I know Tec said that it's almost impossible for Doc to meta, but it makes me feel like I'm cheating :P) he made a pretty straightforward yet still somewhat oblique reference to it in his report of what happened.  He'll respond to any questions thrown his way.

I don't know if we can use any of that to our advantage.  Ace is of the opinion that Mr. Moran, and Mr. Nately are some sort of old USA patriot types who'd like to see a unified N. America once again (you know, cause Canada never really counted).  The Minuteman icon would further cement that in his head, and point toward the existence of some secret organization that works to that end, but again, I don't really see how suspecting that will offer us any real benefit at the moment.

@Tecumseh, can you advise on the feasibility of Ace's idea to move the oven range under the roof hatch that was posted IC?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:14:46/01-12-15)
@Mal, the hollow lines on the diagram do indicate windows with the one exception of the rear wall (in the bedroom) being solid. If the diagram says O'HD next to a window it does indicate storage space over a window.

@rednblack, hmm, that is a creative approach.

Pros: it works!
Cons: the oven is only 1 meter tall, leaving 2 more meters between the top of the oven and the roof hatch. But it's a start.

@All
Not to give people too many RP prompts, but Ace just pulled a laser rifle out of his duffle bag. This is a duffle bag that Ace and Katsina brought back from their jaunt into town. Unless Ace casually picked up an 18F laser rifle at the sporting goods store, then Red Team made an unannounced stop.

Chino, with his knowledge skill in Action Trid Stars, is familiar with the Ares Redline laser pistol from the Cross Point: Daedalus trideo trilogy (featuring the trid star Ace Holt, no relation to your Ace), but this is almost certainly the first time any of you (besides Ace, and maybe Katsina for having previously known Ace) have seen a laser rifle in person. How notable this is for your PC is up to you.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:18:51/01-12-15)
Bah, and Doc misses the fun.  I don't think the agent would mention this icon to him when it comes online.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:32:11/01-12-15)
Well, it would make it unlikely that the Native American government here in Aspen would be as likely to go out of their way to help. They probably have a very different view on a re-united N. America.


Ohanzee has almost no clue as to weapons. He's just as likely to think it was there when we awoke in the Van this morning as he is to assume that these things are available form the corner store. He'd probably even help him look for a plug so it can run off of the car battery without even raising an eyebrow.


Now, if he'd noticed the blood packs in the cooler before Kat started burying them under stuff from the fridge, he'd probably have a few choice questions. Wolf is aware of them IC, but he's not likely to share.


@Z - If it comes online running silent, the agent should mention it. There might also be some chatter from others that notice it. And if it comes up unhidden, Doc should be aware of it. In any case, if Ace wants to avoid the authorities, he'd probably bring it online running silent (too easy to be noticed), wireless off (best option if workable, but Doc would be unaware f it unless mentioned by others), or ask Doc to use Wrapper on it (the best option if it has to be Wireless On). So, there is a good chance you won't miss all the fun.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:48:59/01-12-15)
Correction on what I said earlier. Having reviewed the matter in Arsenal (p. 104), it appears that vehicles running silent are a no-no for the authorities.

Quote
Most jurisdictions restrict vehicle nodes from operating in hidden
mode (see p. 211, SR4) and additionally require vehicles to broadcast
their access ID, license plate, and sometimes their registration and
insurance information as well as the SIN and license data of the driver.

So running silent the RV silently (or without wireless) will generate attention when you're in a civilized part of town, but that's not the point of this episode.

It takes about 20 minutes to get out of town due to traffic and moving slowly, so that's how long you have to make any preparations before the next encounter (e.g. rednblack and the oven).

You are turning down a rural road that will offer you a good deal of privacy. The RV has no hope of outrunning the vehicles following you. Of course, you don't know why they're following you other than Katsina says they are hostile toward her.

Katsina is triggering one of her Combat Sense preparations, but the Potency has faded to 1.

Force 5 + Potency 1 = 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/245698)

The sustained spell will only last 60 seconds until it fades.

Let me know what you're up to, or if you're going to take the initiative and start the hostilities. (In which case, roll Initiative.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (18:48:29/01-12-15)
Perception on vehicles (http://orokos.com/roll/245708): 10d6t5 4

Ace is trying to make what he can out about the two vehicles as the Buffalo passed by.

As they rolled through town, all of Ace's gear would have been Wireless Off, but now that it looks like contact is about to be made, he'll turn Wireless On, and run Silent.  For the more experienced runners out there, that's the smart play, right?  Wireless bonuses are too good to sacrifice, especially if everything is slaved to a Transys Avalon?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:02:02/01-12-15)
Not that I'm an experienced ShadowRunner, but with the Tansys being really good and the fact that you've got matrix support silent and running seems the wise move.  You get *lots* of bonuses, and it's my job to keep the OpForce deckers too busy to smash your shit.

For the Record: Doc's Deck configuration
Programs: Agent; Decryption; Encryption; Mugger
A: 7(8 ) S: 4 D: 6 F: 5(6)

And at this point both Doc and the Agent are scanning Silent Devices.  Lemme know if you want rolls.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:03:16/01-12-15)
Katsina is playing it that way, although she doesn't have much in the way of wireless bonuses.

Ace sees two guys in the Tata Hotspur. There's space for a more people to be standing in the bed of the truck, but it doesn't look like anyone is.

He sees two people in the front of the Bulldog. There's a man in the driver's seat and a woman in the passenger seat. He doesn't see if there's anyone in the rear of the vehicle. Everyone he can see is dressed in black, kind of like Katsina (but without masks).

The Bulldog is is the lead with the Hotspur behind it.

@Zweiblumen, go ahead and roll against the silent devices.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:11:00/01-12-15)
Matrix Perception on New Silent Device (Int 4 + Computer 5 + Qualia 1 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 11) (http://orokos.com/roll/245712): 11d6t5 5 (limit 6) (forgot my Specialization again :( matrix perception specialization 2 (http://orokos.com/roll/245714): 2d6t5 2 booya!!!  2 for 2, over my limit, what a waste.
Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls = 14 (http://orokos.com/roll/245713): 14d6t5 7 (limit 6)

If someone wants to give a heads up to Doc about the vehicles following us he can start trying to do smart things to them.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:15:20/01-12-15)
Updated IC post to share info Ace gleaned from his Perception Test with the rest of the team, and put down that he turned Wireless functionality on.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:21:32/01-12-15)
I'm entertaining guests, so I can't post more than this for a few hours. Ohanzee is going to play wait and see. He seems to start more trouble being proactive, so he's going to try a different part and let trouble find him. If these guys are like Kat, they'd probably wreck him and Wolf in Astral combat anyway.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (19:25:42/01-12-15)
This is goin to be a busy week at the day job. I should still be able to post everyday, but they may be brief and a little dry. Just wanted to warn everybody.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:34:49/01-12-15)
On further consideration, Ohanzee will astrally perceive in case anyone pops in. Wolf will notify him, of course, but it'll save a complex action.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (01:05:26/01-13-15)
So, at this point, all of Ohanzee's gear is Wireless Off except his commlink (and trodes of course), which is not hiding. It is slaved to Doc's PAN.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:01:33/01-13-15)
Time to drop into Initiative.

Katsina: 14 (http://orokos.com/roll/245855)

Katsina, wishing she were faster, remembers a little belatedly that she knows the preparation for Increased Reflexes.

@Malevolence
Ohanzee, confronted with a hostile adversary, realizes that his fight-or-flight instinct is to freeze in the headlights and hope that nothing bad happens. Ohanzee has Combat Paralysis.

While he's busy wishing he didn't have Combat Paralysis, and that he wasn't trapped in a slow-moving tin drum full of murderous spirits, Ohanzee also remembers that he knows the Increased Reflexes spell.

@rednblack
Ace, handling the Lancer for the first time since his amnesia kicked in, remembers it like an old friend. Ace has Exotic Ranged Weapon (Laser) 6.

@Zweiblumen
I'm going to give Doc and the Agent three (3) IPs each of Matrix Perception to represent the time passing in the last IC post. Doc can use them to figure out which devices are running silent or to get more information on the devices that aren't running silent.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (03:24:03/01-13-15)
Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/245862): 1d6+7 9
So, 5.
Wolf's initiative
Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/245863): 3d6+12 22
This'll be interesting. I have a plan, but my low initiative is going to cause problems.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (08:31:54/01-13-15)
Initiative (http://orokos.com/roll/245935): 7+2d6 15

Are we currently in town, or on the outskirts of town in a more rural area?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:42:00/01-13-15)
Lets do this IP by IP so I can try and find the decker and then get some info on the vehicles.

IP1
Agent: Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls = 14 (http://orokos.com/roll/245979): 14d6t5 6 (limit 6)
Device type; Device rating; FW rating (doubt I'll get more the 3)
Doc: Matrix Perception (Comp 5 + Int 4 + Quali 1 + Spec 2 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 13) (http://orokos.com/roll/245980): 13d6t5 6 (limit 6)
Device type; Device rating; FW rating (doubt I'll get more the 3)

Not bad for a first pass.

Question, does the agent get the plus 2 for being in hot-sim VR?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:51:16/01-13-15)
You're in a rural area outside of town limits. You're on a two-lane road with a hillside to your right and a drop-off to your left. The Terrain Modifier is Restricted (+2) due to rolling hills, blind curves, icy conditions, and a lack of shoulders on a narrow road. There is nobody else around; you have some privacy.

Here's the map:
http://goo.gl/maps/EDwpk

The fact that your current location is named Slaughterhouse Gulch is a complete coincidence, I'm sure.



@Zweiblumen
Doc and his Agent need to decide which icons to use Matrix Perception on. Here's the list:
1. Silent Device #1
2. Silent Device #2
3. Silent Device #3
4. Silent Device #4
5. Silent Device #5
6. Silent Device #6
7. Silent Device #7
8. Tata Hotspur - offroad racing truck
9. GMC Bulldog - the classic
10. Rotodrone - this icon looks like a jumped-in rigger
11. a persona not running silently in the Bulldog (Minor retcon, I had originally mistyped this and said it was in the Hotspur. It's in the Bulldog.)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:52:22/01-13-15)
Doc #1 Agent #2
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:18:33/01-13-15)
Not sure if Ohanzee wants to retcon his most recent instructions to reflect that we are not currently in town. 

Are we currently in initiative order?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:37:49/01-13-15)
Think I'm taking my 3 IPs first, then we will be.  (May be speaking out of turn here, sorry if I am Tec)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:00:10/01-13-15)
No, not in initiative order yet. While we're waiting for 8-bit and Poindexter to roll I can resolve the pre-encounter Matrix stuff with Zweiblumen. There's still an opportunity to tweak what the PCs have been doing for the last 20 minutes while you were driving out of town.

@Zweiblumen
An agent can get the +2 for being in hot-sim VR but this is a potential vulnerability too. If the agent gets hit with biofeedback damage it's going to happily pass that right along to the deck and then the decker. Generally speaking the agent will be running with the same interface as the user (AR, cold-sim, or hot-sim).

Out to lunch soon. I'll resolve those rolls later this afternoon.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:18:31/01-13-15)
My IC is fine - his instructions to not engage were prior to all hell breaking loose, and with that happening, his caution to be prepared should they attack first now comes in to play. His IC takes place as soon as we picked them up as a tail, at which point we were still basically in town. I think they had the same idea we did - to get out of town and someplace private before engaging in hostilities. Their attack probably means that they feel we have now entered such a place.


As for agents, I've always assumed that any damage they take is applied to the deck's Matrix Damage track and that they are always considered to be in HotSim and that biofeedback damage affects them (and the deck) the same way it affects any other device, which is to say only as Matrix Damage - the decker sharing the deck does not take any stun or physical damage as a result of damage done to the agent. I think that is the consensus around the forums, but the rules are non-specific about what mode the agent runs in and how biofeedback damage is applied. Running them more like an extension of the decker than like IC is an interesting idea and will provide some additional challenges.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:08:02/01-13-15)
My IC is fine - his instructions to not engage were prior to all hell breaking loose, and with that happening, his caution to be prepared should they attack first now comes in to play. His IC takes place as soon as we picked them up as a tail, at which point we were still basically in town. I think they had the same idea we did - to get out of town and someplace private before engaging in hostilities. Their attack probably means that they feel we have now entered such a place.

Gotcha.  Though, as far as Ace knows all hell has not broken loose  ;)

I sure hope somebody tells Ace about the roto-drone.  Otherwise, he's likely to try the roof of the RV, and that could end bad for him.  While we're on that topic, @Tec, what kind of tests is Ace likely to be facing if he wants to lie prone on the roof?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:17:15/01-13-15)
@Zweiblumen
There's going to be a lot of rolling in the coming days. I'm going to roll some of it manually to save myself the time of plugging it into a dice roller and then copying-and-pasting the results here.

Device 1 - 1 hit, so you can ask for 2 more pieces of info
Device 2 - 0 hits, so you can ask for 3 more pieces of info

1. Silent Device #1 - Hermes Ikon, rating 5, Firewall 5
2. Silent Device #2 - Hermes Ikon, rating 5, Firewall 5 (same as #1)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:25:12/01-13-15)
@rednblack
Everyone firing from the RV will be subject to the "Attacker firing from a moving vehicle –2" penalty.

As for keeping your balance on the roof, it shouldn't be a problem unless Chino has to drive evasively or needs to make a challenging control test. Under those circumstances it will be a Gymnastics roll to stay in one place (with a threshold dependent on the situation), although this could change to a brute Strength test if Ace does something like anchor himself with his cyberspur.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (17:34:29/01-13-15)
@rednblack
Everyone firing from the RV will be subject to the "Attacker firing from a moving vehicle –2" penalty.

As for keeping your balance on the roof, it shouldn't be a problem unless Chino has to drive evasively or needs to make a challenging control test. Under those circumstances it will be a Gymnastics roll to stay in one place (with a threshold dependent on the situation), although this could change to a brute Strength test if Ace does something like anchor himself with his cyberspur.

I like the way you think.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:37:07/01-13-15)
I generally prefer a black trenchcoat game but I can already tell that we're going to have the RV up on two wheels with Ace clinging to the side while dangling over the gulch and returning laser fire to a rotodrone that's hosing everyone down on full auto.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:07:10/01-13-15)
I generally prefer a black trenchcoat game but I can already tell that we're going to have the RV up on two wheels with Ace clinging to the side while dangling over the gulch and returning laser fire to a rotodrone that's hosing everyone down on full auto.
I prefer black trenchcoat generally as well, but that sounds pretty damn awesome.

IP2:
Agent: Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls + VR 2 = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/246035): 16d6t5 5 (#3)
Doc: Matrix Perception (Comp 5 + Int 4 + Quali 1 + Spec 2 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 13) (http://orokos.com/roll/246037): 13d6t5 6 (#4)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:16:38/01-13-15)
Sadly, Ace is unlikely to know anything is up until 14 if Katsina says something. Otherwise you'll be oblivious until 5. At least concerning the Astral threats. I'm guessing that the guy rolling down the window in the Bulldog will do something to alert everyone else soon enough. The rotodrone might even get some shots in this CT, though I'm guessing its first IP is taken up with being deployed.


If it weren't for the Astral threat, Ohanzee would probably offer to use Levitate to get you up to the roof, and even sustain it to provide a platform if needed. But he's going to be busy at the least, if not dead/unconscious.


@Tec - What happens when the summoning mage goes unconscious? Do summoned spirits vanish or stay? Bound spirits?


Also, I hope that Chino won't be doing much driving - we'll probably need his anti-spirit capability and can leave the driving to the pilot.


I'm also a little curious (OOC of course) what the persona not running silently is.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (18:28:50/01-13-15)
Guessing that guy is the rigger Mal.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:34:00/01-13-15)
1 hit for #3 and 2 hits for #4.

3. Silent Device #3 - Renraku Sensei, rating 3, firewall 3
4. Silent Device #4 - Renraku Sensei, rating 3, firewall 3 (same as #4)

@Mal
If the summoning mage goes unconscious, an unbound spirit will take off 99% of the time. If the summoning mage has been exceptionally benevolent or exceptionally malicious to the spirit then it could hang around (to either protect the summoner or help curb stomp him/her), but it's unlikely. Bound spirits will generally continue with their previously assigned task.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:15:03/01-13-15)
Going to skip one and go with #6 and #7 :(

IP3
Agent: Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls + VR 2 = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/246066): 16d6t5 2 wow (#6)
Matrix Perception (Comp 5 + Int 4 + Quali 1 + Spec 2 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 13) (http://orokos.com/roll/246067): 13d6t5 10 made up for it!  (#7)

And I guess inititiatve now:
Doc: Matrix Initiative 9+4d6 (http://orokos.com/roll/246068): 4d6+9 24
Agent: Agent's Initiative 11+4d6 (http://orokos.com/roll/246070): 4d6+11 25
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:41:33/01-13-15)
#6 - 5 hits
#7 - 0 hits

6. Silent Device #6 - no results
7. Silent Device #7 - Renraku Sensei, Rating 3, Firewall 3



Stats for the RV:

Handling2 / 2 (3 without the trailer)
Acceleration1
Speed3 (4 without the trailer)
Pilot3
Body16
Armor14
Sensor3
Damage Track     20

Here's the Arsenal description of the RV:

Quote
Ford-Canada Buffalo (RV)
While an RV is too conspicuous in most cities, in the wilderness
it is the perfect mobile headquarters for both shadowrunners
and corp security teams. With off -road capabilities and sleeping
arrangements for six, it may not be able to go cross country, but it
can easily manage the network of old abandoned roads that crisscross
all but the most remote of areas. Because there are enough
others out on the road (or off it, as the case may be), it doesn’t
raise too much suspicion unless it is somewhere it clearly does
not belong.
Standard Upgrades: Amenities (Middle), Off-Road Suspension
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (21:40:50/01-13-15)
Ok, so due to money issues, i've had to take on a second job.
This leaves me with very little time, energy, or creativity for posting.

It wont be like this for long, but if ya get sick of waiting for me in the meantime, feel free to NPC me until I get back on the fuckin ball about shit.

Apologies in advance for any inconvenience.

EDIT: I am NOT quitting the game, but i will be posting less frequently than you probably expect of me.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:57:36/01-14-15)
@Poindexter, thanks for letting us know. I'll PM you when we get closer to your action just to give you a head's up.

I rolled initiative for Sam and Chino so we can kick things off. They both rolled 17s (http://orokos.com/roll/246193).

We have 20+ actors so things are going to get chaotic. First pass is going to look something like this:

CT1 IP1
not you26
Doc's Agent25
Doc24
not you24
not you22
not you22
Wolf22
not you20
not you18
not you18
not you17
not you17
Sam17
Chino17
Ace15
Katsina14
not you12
not you12
not you9
Mal3

The first guy (or gal) has already gone. Doc and his Agent are going to see a new persona appear. Doc, being brilliant, is going to deduce that it is an Agent program loading.

@Zweiblumen, Doc and his Agent are next. They can't target anyone by initiative order but they can pick on people by device description or by the numbering system we were using earlier for the Matrix Perception tests.

Edit: see below
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:14:59/01-14-15)
@Mal, your initiative score is affected by your Wound Modifiers. 9 gets dropped to 6, which is halved to 3. Not much difference from 5, but still moving in the wrong direction.

I'll say that the medkit can be used as a R1 stim patch that Ohanzee can apply to knock off a box of stun, which will save him one of his wound penalties if he can stay stun-free. Each stim patch will cost one use of medkit supplies. (This is to avoid medkit supplies - at ¥100 - become an inexpensive replacement for proper slap patches.) We can say that this happened on the drive out of town. Ohanzee will probably want to make sure he doesn't get KO'd so that Wolf doesn't abandon you.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:27:28/01-14-15)
@Mal, I wouldn't worry about the Levitate spell.  With Ace standing on top of the oven range, it should be really easy for him to pull himself up.  Hell, if I can climb a rope with my skinny arms, Ace should be able to do that no problem.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:47:30/01-14-15)
Getting Ace to the roof is easy. Between his hydraulic jacks and his cyberstrength, it should be trivial. Ace's base pool is Agility 9 + Athletics skill group 2 + Hydraulic Jacks 6 = 17. He only really needs two hits to get his hands on the ledge and do a pull-up (or zero if he's standing on an oven), but it's entirely possible for him to get six hits and just land on the roof on his feet.

You're only supposed to be able to vertically leap 1.5x your height but I would rule that with hydraulic jacks only your Physical limit holds you back. And with a +6 limit from the jacks, that means Ace's limit would be 13, or 6.5m, or 21 feet. Hops!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (14:28:12/01-14-15)
@Tec
Just to be sure there are a total of 7 silently running devices as follows and one Persona (soon to be a second)?
#1 Hermes Ikon
#2 Hermes Ikon
#3 Renraku Sensei
#4 Renraku Sensei
#5 ??
#6 ??
#7 Renraku Sensei

The truck, van and rotodrone are not running silently right?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:33:32/01-14-15)
@Zweiblumen
Correct. In addition to the seven devices you listed, the following devices are NOT running silently:

8. Tata Hotspur
9. GMC Bulldog
10. Rotodrone - this icon looks like a jumped-in rigger
11. a persona not running silently in the Bulldog
12. a new persona that just appeared that's probably an Agent
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (14:49:45/01-14-15)
Getting Ace to the roof is easy. Between his hydraulic jacks and his cyberstrength, it should be trivial. Ace's base pool is Agility 9 + Athletics skill group 2 + Hydraulic Jacks 6 = 17. He only really needs two hits to get his hands on the ledge and do a pull-up (or zero if he's standing on an oven), but it's entirely possible for him to get six hits and just land on the roof on his feet.

You're only supposed to be able to vertically leap 1.5x your height but I would rule that with hydraulic jacks only your Physical limit holds you back. And with a +6 limit from the jacks, that means Ace's limit would be 13, or 6.5m, or 21 feet. Hops!

I'm guessing it would be relatively easy for Ace to jump onto the trailer once he was on the roof, so he could take cover behind a snowmobile or ATV? 

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (15:16:33/01-14-15)
@Zweiblumen
Correct. In addition to the seven devices you listed, the following devices are NOT running silently:

8. Tata Hotspur
9. GMC Bulldog
10. Rotodrone - this icon looks like a jumped-in rigger
11. a persona not running silently in the Bulldog
12. a new persona that just appeared that's probably an Agent

Damn, I think I got confused :(  wasted a bunch of time.
I'll smack down the perona while the agent keeps ID'ing things

CT1 IP1:
Agent: Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls  + VR 2 = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/246318): 16d6t5 6 (limit 6) on #5
Doc: Brute Force Mark 1 mark (Log 9 + CC 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 = 17) (http://orokos.com/roll/246320): 17d6t5 4 (limit 8) this is gonna hurt :(
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (15:37:50/01-14-15)
Ohanzee wishes he had some bound spirits and that he had enough initiative to go Full Defense.


@Tec - How are we going to handle Wolf's actions? Should I control him or will you? If I do, any constraints or is he a tactical genius and I can have him do what seems most advantageous?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:47:35/01-14-15)
I'm guessing it would be relatively easy for Ace to jump onto the trailer once he was on the roof, so he could take cover behind a snowmobile or ATV?

Yes, as long as Chino isn't taking evasive maneuvers this would be relatively straight-forward. Ace's hydraulic jacks mean that he can fall quite a distance without incurring any damage. Complications would include being riddled with bullets while getting into position.

I'm debating whether this sequence (jump, run across the roof, drop down) would be one or two IPs of movement.

@Mal, I'll have you control Wolf. If he hadn't been given any tasks/requests yet I might force him to hold action until Ohanzee assigned him something, but as he's been summoned for a specific purpose - and the circumstances of that purpose have come to pass - then he's in-play. As for his tactical acumen, he's both high Force (and thus high Logic) and shares a spirit-summoner link with Ohanzee, so he probably has a pretty good sense of what's going on and what his priorities should be. Go ahead and play him however you like.

Have a meeting in 10 minutes. I'll resolve Doc's stuff later this afternoon.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (16:20:24/01-14-15)
I'm guessing it would be relatively easy for Ace to jump onto the trailer once he was on the roof, so he could take cover behind a snowmobile or ATV?

Yes, as long as Chino isn't taking evasive maneuvers this would be relatively straight-forward. Ace's hydraulic jacks mean that he can fall quite a distance without incurring any damage. Complications would include being riddled with bullets while getting into position.

I'm debating whether this sequence (jump, run across the roof, drop down) would be one or two IPs of movement.

I would imagine 2 even if just bc Ace wouldn't be able to get much forward momentum from his jump. I wonder if it's even worth it. Being prone on the top of the RV should provide a good cover bonus from all but the roto-drone's potential fire. Shooting from the trailer would put him another 7-10 meters closer to the opposition though. Hmmm.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:14:16/01-14-15)
@rednblack
My instinct was for two passes as well, but I have to stop thinking of Ace as a normal person. He's basically a trans-human cyborg and his hydraulic jacks give him crazy acceleration.

You're correct that dropping prone would effectively shield him from everything except the drone.

Shooting out one of the side windows in the rear room (the bedroom) is also an option, although the angle will be somewhat awkward and constrained.

@Zweiblumen
Resist Agent Perception: 0 hits
Device #5 is a Renraku Sensei, rating 3, Firewall 3

Resist Doc's Brute Force: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246366), Doc has a mark!

Next actions
24 - Sam is going to see a big brute of an ork lean out of the Bulldog's passenger side window. Said ork is holding his fire. This is OOC knowledge for the rest of you unless Sam spends a Free Action to inform the team.
22 - The drone is going to fly up, out of the rear view mirror field of vision of Chino and Sam. That probably means it is above the RV. Again, OOC knowledge unless Sam, Chino, or Doc alert(s) the group. (Doc could see the rigger persona/icon moving.)
22 - A fire spirit is going to materialize in the RV. This is IC for everyone but Doc, who will be blissfully unaware of his impending immolation.

I'll write an IC post to summarize things. Zweiblumen, feel free to write an IC post too.

@Mal, action is to Wolf!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (19:22:19/01-14-15)
Wolf is going to move to the Bulldog and materialize. This serves a number of tactical purposes:
1. Out of sight (and hopefully mind) of the projecting mage who can be a problem if he chooses to try to banish Wolf
2. If not out of mind, at least draws fire away from the team if they choose to pursue (assuming they know where he went - to them he'll just vanish)
3. There is a limp mage body in there that doesn't get a defense roll. Could be a quick way to get rid of one or two combatants (if there is a summoned spirit)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (19:51:43/01-14-15)
Creative.

The next five steps are on me. I have my weekly game tonight so I won't get to them until late tonight or tomorrow.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (20:04:13/01-14-15)
4. Wolf hungers for blood. Physical blood, not metaphorical Astral blood.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:46:36/01-15-15)
Catching up on OOC and IC; going to get something up. I already posted about my lesser availability this week in Sunt Venatores Venationem, but I'll make sure to stay on top of it and not drop off the face of the Earth ... again.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (00:52:29/01-15-15)
Okay, a few questions OOC just so I can make an IC post.

Chino is reluctant to turn control of the car to the pilot, but it should be, relatively, safe. Does he see the Fire Spirit materialize when he's looking in the rear view mirror?

Assuming he does, here's what Chino would do.

Simple Action - Send Message to RV to use Grid Guide to control itself
Simple Action - Shift Perception to Astral Perception (AKA; Activate Focus)
Free Action - Speak/Text/Transmit Phrase to team that he's putting this thing on autopilot, because there is a fraggin' Fire Spirit in the RV.

That sound about right?

If he doesn't see the Fire Spirit, then he would have to wait to either notice it or be notified of it, in which case he's going to be trying to boost his speed and avoid some sort of sensor lock by the drone, if possible.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (12:05:46/01-15-15)
Not sure how around I'll be today, so I'll post this now.

CT1 IP 1
IS 15
: Ace
Free Action: Extend Cyber Spurs on left hand
Simple Action: Ready Ares Lancer in right hand
Simple Action: Fire at the materialized fire spirit
Ares Lancer V. Fire Imp AGI (9)+Laser (6)+Smartlink (2) (http://orokos.com/roll/246577): 17d6t5 5

I assume that the Lancer has a smartlink system, given Ace's background, but that could be wrong.  Please clarify.  If it does not, that's 4 hits.  With AP -10, that should bypass the spirit's Immunity to weapons, unless he's force 6 or above.

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:36:35/01-15-15)
@8-bit, welcome back.

Chino is very experienced with spirits and knows that there's a fire spirit in the RV. He doesn't see it in the rear view mirror because RVs only have mirrors on the sides, not the center, but he can hear it and feel the heat.

The sequence of actions sounds good. As for activating astral perception, were you planning on attacking the spirit with astral combat?
Pros: astral spirits are dodgy bastards and difficult to hit physically, punching fire spirits hurts like hell
Cons: can't do as much damage astrally as physically

Long OOC post coming.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:45:21/01-15-15)
Next sequence
1. Wolf materializes
2. another fire spirit materializes in the RV
3. a spirit astrally attacks Katsina
4. a spirit astrally attacks Ohanzee
5. Wolf draws fire from inside the Bulldog
6. Wolf draws more fire from inside the Bulldog
7. the projecting magician in the RV retreats to attack Wolf astrally
8. Chino's turn

That will bring us to Sam and Katsina and Ace. Let's resolve the above.

3. a spirit astrally attacks Katsina
Attack (Astral Combat + Willpower): 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246618)
Katsina defends (Intuition + Logic): 5 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246619) (rolled one die too many), Katsina defends!

4. a spirit astrally attacks Ohanzee
Attack: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/246621)
Ohanzee defends (Intuition + Logic - Wound Modifiers): 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/246622), Ohanzee defends! almost a glitch so close

Within the Bulldog (but not the RV) I'm going to give Defenders a -2 to dodge due to confined quarters.

5. Wolf draws fire from inside the Bulldog
Attack: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246625) (Accuracy 7)
Wolf Dodge (Reaction 6 + Intuition 6 - 2 confined): 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246627)

Base damage is 9DV -2 AP, staged to 12DV with net hits.
Wolf has Immunity to Normal Weapons. This gives him (presuming Wolf is male) 12 points of hardened armor, staged down to 10 with AP. 12DV exceeds 10 armor so Wolf has to soak. He does get 5 automatic net hits from his hardened armor.
Wolf soak (Body 8 + Armor 10): 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246629) + 5 auto-hits = 11 net hits
Wolf takes 1 box of damage.

6. Wolf draws more fire from inside the Bulldog
Attack: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246630) (Acc 7)
Wolf dodge (same as above with -2 burst -1 second defense): 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246632)

Base damage is 8P -1AP due to explosive rounds, staged to 12DV with net hits.
Same soak as above, but Wolf gets an extra die to soak due to less AP plus an extra auto-hit.
Wolf soak: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246634) + 6 auto-hits = 12 net hits
Wolf is an animal! He eats a burst of explosive rounds and asks for more!

7. the projecting magician in the RV retreats to attack Wolf astrally
Attack (Astral Combat + Willpower): 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246638)
Wolf Defends (Intuition + Logic): 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246640)
Wolf successfully avoids the attack!

8. Chino's turn
As described by 8-bit, pending revisions

Current situation: There are 2 fire spirits materialized in the RV. Wolf is in the Bulldog, taking fire. The exact whereabouts of the rotodrone are unknown.

@All I'm going to post ICly to describe some of the above.
@Mal You write descriptive posts - feel free to write something up for Wolf tanking a whole bunch of attacks and for Ohanzee avoiding an astral assault by the slimmest of margins.
@8-bit Let me know if your previous actions are still your plan. If so, please post them ICly.

I'll PM Poindexter to let him know the action is to him.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (14:56:17/01-15-15)
@8-bit, welcome back.

Chino is very experienced with spirits and knows that there's a fire spirit in the RV. He doesn't see it in the rear view mirror because RVs only have mirrors on the sides, not the center, but he can hear it and feel the heat.

The sequence of actions sounds good. As for activating astral perception, were you planning on attacking the spirit with astral combat?
Pros: astral spirits are dodgy bastards and difficult to hit physically, punching fire spirits hurts like hell
Cons: can't do as much damage astrally as physically

Long OOC post coming.

Ah, I forgot that when they are materialized I don't need Astral Sight. I was just thinking of making myself Dual-Natured, but it might not be necessary. All right, here's what I'll do.



Combat Turn 1; Action Pass 1; Acting on Initiative 17

Simple Action - Send Message to RV to use Grid Guide to control itself
Simple Action - Activate Spirit Claw Focus (This makes it show up on the Astral and allows me to access it's power next Action Pass)
Free Action - Speak/Text/Transmit Phrase to team that he's putting this thing on autopilot, because there is a fraggin' Fire Spirit in the RV.



I figure it's better to take my chances with the physical realm, where I can realistically take the spirits down in a short time. I'll get an IC up soon to describe these actions.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:22:34/01-15-15)
@8-bit
Sounds like a good plan.

While Chino is cracking his knuckles, he remembers that he has the following powers:
Attribute Boost (Agi) R1
Penetrating Strike R4


Chino will need to spend a Free Action to activate Killing Hands to bypass the spirits' Immunity to Normal Weapons.

Chino's base damage against spirits is Strength 9 + Bone Density 3 + Spirit Claw 3 = 15DV -4AP so everyone be prepared for him to seriously [explicative deleted].
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (15:49:51/01-15-15)
@8-bit
Chino will need to spend a Free Action to activate Killing Hands to bypass the spirits' Immunity to Normal Weapons.

Curse my limited Actions pool!

I need a Free Action to activate Spirit Claw (the focus only allows me to access it), a Free Action to activate Killing Hands, and a Simple Action to activate Attribute Boost, if I want.

Well, I'm not going to mess with my actions any more; I have my next Action Pass turns ready, but I'll refrain from posting until we get there.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (15:56:38/01-15-15)
Or you could just not tell people that you're putting the RV on autopilot, and hope that they trust you enough not to drive the RV into Slaughterhouse Gulch.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (15:58:56/01-15-15)
Not that this couldn't seriously devolve, but I am thankful that was only a force 2 spirit. It's probably the only way I have a chance. My plan was to stop Astrally perceiving ASAP to try to limit my risk (as astral soak is really weak, making Astral Combat LETHAL). But, I might actually have a chance. Hmmm.


Anyway, I just got back from lunch, so IC incoming with Wolf's awesomeness (probably the first time that word has been used to describe a beast spirit - they are terrible for combat) and Ohanzee's dumb luck.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (16:05:12/01-15-15)
Or you could just not tell people that you're putting the RV on autopilot, and hope that they trust you enough not to drive the RV into Slaughterhouse Gulch.

IC is up, I'll deal with it as is.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (16:11:43/01-15-15)
Fire spirits in the RV, ok, from the passengers seat, does sam have a line of fire on any assumed hostile vehicles?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:00:41/01-15-15)
So, here's the fun part with Beast spirits. I want to disable the mage. I can attack with Wolf's Natural Weapon ability for 6P DV, or I can just have him do a regular unarmed attack for 8S DV. If the mage has a BOD of 1 or 2 (9 boxes physical damage track) and a WIL of 5 or 6 (11 box stun track), then it's a wash (the number of boxes differ by 2). If his BOD is higher or his WIL is lower, the Stun track is the better option (the difference is less than 2). Wolf wants blood, but he is singularly ineffective at getting it.


So, thoughts?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:23:19/01-15-15)
@Poindexter
Sam's a troll and has long arms, so he can lean out the window quite a ways. I'll say he has LOS on the right half of the Bulldog and the Tata. But the reverse will be true as well.

@Malevolence
Let's go with a more reasonable interpretation of Natural Weapon so that it's not underpowered (and thus an illogical choice for an Optional Power). We'll use an actual wolf's natural weapon from p. 403:

Natural Weapon (Claws/Bite: DV (STR+2)P, AP –1)

That would give Wolf a 10P AP -1 attack.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:31:09/01-15-15)
The second man, an ork, uses his weapon on the spirit, a short three note staccato, and the bullets pass harmlessly through Wolf's ethereal form. Where they collide with the interior of the vehicle, small blooms of fire break out.

The bullets did hit Wolf and explode. Wolf just soaked all the damage.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:13:03/01-15-15)
The bullets did hit Wolf and explode. Wolf just soaked all the damage.


I can change that.


I envision the spirit's immunity to normal weapons as due to their ethereal nature in the material world. To borrow terms from D&D, it's like a vampire's mist form or a ghost's ethereal form giving them the insubstantial quality, making them take less damage from many (most?) attacks.


So, when I described it, the bullets did hit him, they just went through his body harmlessly instead of being stopped by armor.


But, it's better that we are on the same page descriptively, and I suppose having them pass through Wolf doesn't fit with the crunch as then you'd have to determine what they hit on the other side and make appropriate defense/damage rolls. So, updating IC to reflect Wolf's badass bulletproof body.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:23:16/01-15-15)
If Wolf had manifested this is what would have happened (and might be a clever ploy to induce people who aren't familiar with manifesting to shoot each other), but since Wolf materialized he's definitely getting shot.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:55:14/01-15-15)
Also, the change to Natural Weapons is appreciated. That makes him a more reasonable combat spirit. It's not Elemental Attack (12P AP -6 + elemental effects), but at least it isn't sucktastic.


I suppose I could have optimized him for physical combat and taken Venom, but it's pretty funky that I have to spend two Optional Powers to make my combat spirit good at, you know, combat when virtually ANY other spirit will still be better without using a single Optional Power.


Okay, whining done. A Force 6 spirit of any stripe is nothing to sneeze at. And fear does present an interesting option...


ETA: In case it isn't clear, I am ranting about RAW (the lameness of Beast spirits and the change in Street Grimoire that makes them the only spirit a Shaman - among others - can use for combat), not any aspect of Tabula Rasa/Tecumseh - both of which are awesome. And to be clear, the change itself isn't bad (it encourages creativity and makes mages less IWIN) but that it punishes specific traditions more than others because some spirits are dramatically better suited to specific roles than others. Just in case people were thinking "cry me a river that your bulletproof Force 6 spirit can't also one punch a street sam". This is entirely a topic for another thread (and has been beaten to death), but I just wanted it to be clear what my ranting/whining was about and where I stood on the issue.


Now I'm done ranting. It was awful quiet so I was worried that my post might have been misconstrued and people were wary of posting because of it. I hope this clears the air.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (23:27:27/01-15-15)
I won't disagree with you about the whole traditions shtick that Street Grimoire introduced; I personally feel the same way. Just didn't seem to need a response.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:04:16/01-16-15)
What kinda penalty is Sam looking at to hang the weapon out the window and using the camera on the smartlink to fire?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:12:14/01-16-15)
-3. Attacker firing from cover using an imaging device.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (01:17:53/01-16-15)
Any others?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (01:40:00/01-16-15)
Yes, potentially everything else in the book, depending on what exactly you are planning.

There's-2 for firing from a moving vehicle, to simulate the twists and turns and up and downs in the road.

No environmental modifiers at the moment.

There is another penalty if you only use one arm/hand, but I don't recall it off the top of my head. Probably -2, but firing one-handed is not necessary unless you need the other hand for something specific.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (02:25:29/01-16-15)
Well, unless there's something I don't understand about the situation, Sam's plan is to lean one arm out the window and try to put a pill onto the hood of the bulldog.

Simple action: Open window
Simple action: fire grenade at bulldog
Free action: wireless det grenade

I'll make the rolls when I get the full penalty and make the IC post after the rolls.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:38:29/01-16-15)
We can say that Sam already had the window open, as it would not likely be able to open within the span of one second to allow Sam to shoot out of it (unless Sam just breaks it, but that's not necessary). The Simple Action can be used to Ready Weapon with a specific type of grenade.

-3 firing from cover using an imaging device
-2 firing from a moving vehicle
-1 firing two-handed firearms with one hand (usually a -2 penalty but its only -1 for trolls)

+1 from smartlink

Agility 9 + Heavy Weapons 5 - 5 net modifiers = 9 dice

What type of grenade? Flashbang, frag, or thermal smoke.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:15:17/01-16-15)
@rednblack
The Lancer is a two-handed rifle. You can fire it with two hands with the cyberspur extended on the left hand, unless you want to fire it one-handed for cinematic purposes (although that does involve a -2 penalty, see above).

Lancers do not have smartlinks. Ares dropped the ball on that one.

Ace's shot, minus smartlink: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246577)
Spirit dodge: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246878), no luck

The fire spirit nimbly skips aside, sending Ace's shot into the wall.

The RV rolls Structure 6 + Armor 14 - 10 AP: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246883), which stages 7DV down to 4DV

Since the Structure rating of the RV (6) is not exceeded by the DV (4), the shot does not go through the wall and out into the world.



Katsina will astrally attack the spirit that is astrally attacking her. For her free action she is counterspelling and can cover everyone but the Natelys.

Willpower 6 + Astral Combat 3 + Weapon Focus 3: 7 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246879), sadly capped at 5 hits by Accuracy
Spirit defense: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246880)

Base damage is Charisma+5, so 8, plus 2 net hits equals 10DV

Spirit soak: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246881), for 8 boxes

Katsina almost goes Darth Vader on the spirit, but not quite.



The troll in the Bulldog is going to shoot Wolf. There's a chance this might be modified based on Poindexter's rolls but right now I'm guessing that won't be the case.

Shooting Wolf with a shotgun: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246885)
Wolf dodge (-2 constrained -2 third defense): 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246886)

Base damage is 10P -1AP, staged up to 12P with net hits.

Wolf soak: 10 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246887) + 6 auto-hits = 16 net hits, no damage
Wolf is a monster!



@Malevolence
The are a couple things that will happen before Ohanzee's turn but go ahead and declare actions when you get the chance. Everyone else, we'll probably be rolling Initiative again soon.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:22:05/01-16-15)
Have I already used Action Pass 2 due to being busy driving? I do have my next set of actions lined up, but I'm unsure of when they take place.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:32:50/01-16-15)
@8-bit
Are you asking if you've used IP2 yet? No, no one has. You only need one Pilot / Control test every Combat Turn, which the autopilot can handle now. Chino wasn't actively driving during IP1 but that was only one second of action. The RV didn't go off the road in that one second.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (03:35:01/01-16-15)
Ah, okay. I just got confused when you said that we would be rolling Initiative again soon. I thought I had missed something. Just making sure, thanks.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:38:36/01-16-15)
Doh, I misspoke. Sorry. I meant back to the top of the order.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (11:36:10/01-16-15)
@rednblack
The Lancer is a two-handed rifle. You can fire it with two hands with the cyberspur extended on the left hand, unless you want to fire it one-handed for cinematic purposes (although that does involve a -2 penalty, see above).

Can Ace parry with his cyber spurs if he has that hand bracing the weapon? 

ETA: To clarifty, do you impose a penalty on all firearms SMG and larger, when not fired with 2 hands?  I'm just trying to get an idea of what the rubric is.

Lancers do not have smartlinks. Ares dropped the ball on that one.

Yeah, I'd say.  200¥ for something like an increased 13% to his shooting skill should be a no-brainer.  Oh well, I've got a an easy purchase to make should Ace get out of here alive.

Ace's shot, minus smartlink: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246577)
Spirit dodge: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246878), no luck

Dodgy little bastard.  Oh well, hopefully being able to take aim will make a difference next IP

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:21:45/01-16-15)
Can Ace parry with his cyber spurs if he has that hand bracing the weapon? 

Sure. I imagine he would remove that one hand from the weapon in order to parry most effectively, but that doesn't cost an action (nor is there an action to put the hand back to fire again without penalty).

ETA: To clarifty, do you impose a penalty on all firearms SMG and larger, when not fired with 2 hands?

Yes, correct.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:56:13/01-16-15)
@Tecumseh, cool, thanks for the clarification.  In that case, Ace will fire using both hands, cyber spurs extended, and will be prepared to parry should the elemental decide to take a swing.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (13:58:33/01-16-15)
Ohanzee will attack the spirit with Astral Combat, then drop Astral Perception so that he is no longer dual natured (I'm assuming this is a Free Action).
Astral Combat [Willpower 6 + Astral Combat 5 - Wounds 2] (http://orokos.com/roll/246990): 9d6t5 1
Yeah, not very effective...
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:15:25/01-16-15)
@rednblack
Parrying an elemental with Energy Aura is a mixed proposition. While you can avoid the main damage component of the melee attack, you are still subject to the energy aura. DV = Force, AP = (negative) Force.

This isn't explicitly in the rules but it's a halfway point between what is in the rules (DV*2 for a successful melee attack against an elemental with energy aura - I'm looking at you 8-bit) and the fluff. Dodging is the safest bet.

@Malevolence
Switching Perception is a Simple Action. See p. 166.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:19:22/01-16-15)
-3 firing from cover using an imaging device
-2 firing from a moving vehicle
-1 firing two-handed firearms with one hand (usually a -2 penalty but its only -1 for trolls)

+1 from smartlink

Agility 9 + Heavy Weapons 5 - 5 net modifiers = 9 dice

What type of grenade? Flashbang, frag, or thermal smoke.

@Poindexter
Per the RG2 optional rule in Run & Gun (Target Size Modifiers), go ahead and add +1 for aiming at a vehicle. So 10 dice.

And don't forget the grenade type.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (14:42:11/01-16-15)
Ah, I was looking in the Astral Perception section and couldn't find it, and even did a Google search.


Hmm. I'd really like to stop being dual natured, but considering the crappy roll I made, it might be considered taking advantage to skip the attack. That, and I'm not sure what to do with the second Simple action, so in the interests of expedience, I'll go through with the attack and stay dual natured.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:48:03/01-16-15)
@Mal
Your wound modifiers are -3 unless you took advantage of a medkit-stimpatch possibility that I mentioned, although I don't recall you saying so. That said, losing a die doesn't affect the outcome of your roll.

Spirit defense: 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246996), Ohanzee connects!

Base damage is Charisma 6, staged to 7DV with the net hit.

Spirit soak: 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246998)

Ohanzee's target takes 7 boxes of damage!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (15:11:44/01-16-15)
Fire a frag grenade at the Bulldog (http://orokos.com/roll/247013): 10d6t5 5

limit of six, so I'm good.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (15:27:31/01-16-15)
@rednblack
Parrying an elemental with Energy Aura is a mixed proposition. While you can avoid the main damage component of the melee attack, you are still subject to the energy aura. DV = Force, AP = (negative) Force.

I figured as much.

This isn't explicitly in the rules but it's a halfway point between what is in the rules (DV*2 for a successful melee attack against an elemental with energy aura - I'm looking at you 8-bit) and the fluff. Dodging is the safest bet.

I was worried a dodge would still put me in the aura.  Good to know.  I'll just assume that Ace would still extend his cyber spurs for heroics on the RV roof later.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (15:36:54/01-16-15)
@Mal
Your wound modifiers are -3 unless you took advantage of a medkit-stimpatch possibility that I mentioned, although I don't recall you saying so. That said, losing a die doesn't affect the outcome of your roll.
Sorry, yes. I thought I'd mentioned it but it is not in any of my posts either IC or OOC. Whoops - that's all my fault. Character sheets reflect the change. Let me know if you want me to update an IC post - I'd have taken it as soon as they started following us, so he's probably a few minutes into it.


Spirit defense: 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/246996), Ohanzee connects!
Holy. Wow. With a -2 to the spirit's dice pool, Ohanzee might very well have a chance. If he can turn his luck with the dice gods around...

Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (17:22:01/01-16-15)
IC up.


We  don't happen to know the type of spirits that Kat and I are fighting do we? The materialized are obviously fire, but I can't find the type for the remaining two.


Also, you said there were six people in the Bulldog. The driver, the mage, and three assailants have been identified so far. I'm guessing the sixth is the decker?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:49:42/01-16-15)
We  don't happen to know the type of spirits that Kat and I are fighting do we? The materialized are obviously fire, but I can't find the type for the remaining two.
You don't know what kind of spirits are on the astral, no. Identifying them would require a Assensing test. That said, all spirits types are equal on the astral. Obviously Force differentiates them, but their astral attributes are the same. (Some spirit type have Intuition + 1 but I think this is a typo, as it is not reflected in their Initiative values nor in the fluff.)

Also, you said there were six people in the Bulldog. The driver, the mage, and three assailants have been identified so far. I'm guessing the sixth is the decker?

Guess away.

Long OOC coming in a bit.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:32:30/01-16-15)
The vehicle / driving rules are woefully undetailed, so I'll be making a lot of this up as I go along.

It seems logical that the driver of the Bulldog would drive evasively to avoid the grenade, even though the grenade is an area attack and dodging might accomplish precisely nothing.

Driver dodging Sam's grenade with Reaction + Intuition: 5 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247028)

That equals Sam's hits, which is great, but now what. Normally I would say that the target is 5 meters away from the grenade, but in this case the driver doesn't have 5 meters of road to work with. We'll say that the driver moves into the left lane (3 meters away) but can't go any further without swandiving off the cliff to your left or plowing into the trees lining the road to the right.

Sam can trigger the grenade to go off at the correct range, so the vehicle is still subject to 18P +5AP. Odds are the vehicle won't care, but theoretically the ork in the passenger seat (who has his window down) and the tires could be.

Subtracting 3 meters due to the dodge, that brings the damage code down to 15P +5AP.

The ork is busy shooting Wolf, so he's unaware and can't dodge himself. I will say that vehicle occupants benefit from being in good cover since (they are still covered from the waist down). Good cover: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247034), so the ork gets to soak 13P +5AP.

Ork soak (Body + Armor + AP): 8 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247037)

Staged damage with AP does not exceed Ork's Armor rating, so the Ork takes 5 Stun.

The Bulldog itself has Armor 12, staged to 17 with the frag grenade's AP. With hardened armor that means that the frag grenade needs a direct hit before it can begin to affect the vehicle. The Bulldog loses some paint.

Question now is what happens to tires and other passenger-side windows. I'm going to say the windows are ballistics glass and have Structure 4 + Armor 6. If the grenade does 4+ boxes of damage then they break. Soaking: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247048), pathetic. Windows shatter.

Same story for tires, except Structure 2 + Armor 4. Soaking: 5 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247050), better, but still not enough. The tires are pierced, but are run-flat tires.

Now the passengers on the right side of the vehicle have to soak the remaining damage that made it through the windows. That's the troll with the shotgun and someone you haven't identified yet.

Troll soak: 5 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247051)
Damage does not exceed Troll's armor rating, so the final verdict is 6 Stun.

Other goon soak: 5 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247055), fine time for the goons to roll poorly
Damage does not exceed Unknown's armor rating, so the final verdict is 6 Stun.



That's the grenade. The driver of the Bulldog now needs to make a control test.
Driver (Reaction + Pilot Ground Craft - Terrain Modifiers [Vehicle Handling 3]): 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247056), threshold was 2 so vehicle remains under control



Now, the revenge. The passenger in the Tata is going to Fireball Sam (or, more precisely, lob a Fireball at Sam's arm).

Fireball: Magic + Spellcasting - Target in Moving Vehicle: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247059), threshold 3 so no scatter
Soaking Drain: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247064), results hidden

Sam is in a restricted position (sitting, confined, and arm sticking out the window) and can't dodge the area attack effectively. I may allow him to use Run for Your Life if he drops the Ares Alpha, but it will only allow him to move reduce the DV by 2.

Base damage is 12DV -6AP.

While soaking, add 4 dice for Good Cover and 3 dice from Katsina's counterspelling. Don't forget your Armor Jacket has Fire Resistance 2. That should be Body 10 + Troll Dermals 1 + Armor 12 + Fire Resistance 2 + Titanium Bone Lacing 6 (it's unclear to me on Ryo's sheet if Sam's Body attribute reflects the +3 from the bone lacing or not, but for now we'll say they are separate) + Good Cover 4 + Counterspelling 3 - 6 AP = 32 dice, no problem.

RV soaking the damage (Body 16 + Armor 14 - 6 AP): 8 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247069)
That stages the damage down to 4P. This does not exceed the modified Armor value ( 8 ) so the RV itself is unharmed.

The RV's front right tires aren't as lucky. No armor and no Katsina counterspelling means they don't have the dice pool to resist the attack. Front right tire is gone.

RV's autopilot makes a control test, -2 for missing a tire (run-flat does not mean run-gone) and -2 for Terrain Modifiers. It needs 2 hits on 2 dice so this will probably suck. Snake-eyes! (http://orokos.com/roll/247070) Critical glitch!

Well this should be fairly spectacular. To be continued!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (19:03:00/01-16-15)
I'm gonna go with ouch ;)

Doc is gonna be a freakin' ragdoll in this particular escapade.

I'm guessing that Sam and Ace will survive this particular endevour and maybe Kat and Chino, but I'm guessing Ohanzee and Doc are pretty well FUBAR.  Especially Doc as he can't even react to it :P

ETA: This has been awesome by the way, and I'm in no way complaining about the situation.  I've got a huge shit-eating grin as I'm typing this.  I think this is every type of pink-mohawk awesome!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (22:59:53/01-16-15)
Oh god damn it.

I'll get back to you in a few minutes when I'm over the fact that we are going to crash ... again. And it's Chino's damn fault again. Sigh...

I'm with Zweiblumen on this one, it's awesome, but I feel like Chino has the worst luck ever with his driving decisions.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (23:08:33/01-16-15)
Okay. I'm guessing we're saying good bye to our elderly hostages. And probably Doc and Ohanzee. I just have this picture in my head of Chino rushing the spirit then going flying as the RV crashes. Truly an epic moment  :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (00:41:12/01-17-15)
Soak the fireball (http://orokos.com/roll/247151): 32d6t5 7

I'm gonna edge the dang soak roll.

Edge the dang soak roll (http://orokos.com/roll/247154): 25d6t5 7

Ok, so sam is good, thanks to his now singed jacket sleeve.

I just wanna live long enough to put that bomb on the obelisk. It'd be great if I could bleed out before it goes off, too. :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:32:12/01-17-15)
@Poindexter
No, not a great roll. 7 hits on 32 dice is a 5th percentile result. However, this is what Edge is for. I would encourage people to use it in the coming moments, as it will greatly improve your odds of survival.

Also need to determine if Sam is on fire. Armor 12 + Fire Resistance 2 - 6 Fire AP = 8 dice against Threshold 3 = 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247153), yay, Sam's not on fire!

@Zweiblumen
Pink mohawk is not a compliment, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.



@All
The front right tire that went out so that's the logical direction for the RV to lean. The RV is going to tip and roll off the road to the right, then (per the critical glitch) flip on its side.

The crash rules in 5th Edition are largely nonsensical. Vehicle armor is never used to mitigate damage to vehicle occupants, by which logic it would be better to plow into a wall full-speed while on a Dodge Scoot instead of in a GMC Bulldog (since the DV of the crash is based on the vehicle's Body, and their Speed attributes are the same).

I spent about two hours trying to devise better rules, going back to 4th Edition, until I remembered that Ryo has a house rule for this exact situation.

When crashing, a vehicle is treated as if it rammed itself, resisting with Body+Armor as normal. Half of the unresisted damage is applied to the passengers of the vehicle, resisted with Body+Armor -6 AP. If a passenger is not properly secured (wearing a safety belt/harness), then they must resist the full initial damage of the crash instead, and may be hurled from the vehicle (gamemaster discretion). This may result in further damage from impact with the terrain or other vehicles.

The saving grace is all this is that you're not traveling very fast, given the trailer, the heavy load (namely Sam + the obelisk), the hilly terrain, and the icy conditions. Some internet research says that a crash at 35mph generates around 50 Gs of force, which is where things start getting fatal, and you were likely going slower than that.

I'm going to say that the Body / 2 damage value is more accurate for this situation (see p. 203), especially since the RV is going to negatively accelerate fairly quickly once the tire goes and the rim hits the ground. With the RV's Body of 16, that means there are 8 boxes to soak, minus what the RV soaks for restrained passengers.

RV's Body: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247156) + RV's Armor: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247091) = 5 hits, well that's pretty pathetic for 30 dice. Low 2nd percentile rolling.

Sam and Ohanzee are sitting, so they have the option of being restrained. (Sam wound benefit from an air bag too.) I had imagined Katsina tucking the Natelys firmly under the covers of the bed for just such a situation, although who knows how effective that would actually be in a crash. Doc, on the other hand, will be ragdolling.

1. Here are the damage codes for people to soak with Body + Armor - 6 AP:
Sam = 3P
Ohanzee = 3P
Chino = 8P
Ace = 8P (*see note below)
Doc = 8P
Katsina = 8P

(*Unless he changed clothing in the RV, Ace is still wearing the outfit that Katsina tailored for him. Per this post (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18731.msg338014;topicseen#msg338014), it is Armor 6, Insulation 2. That will be negated by the crash AP, but still leaves Ace with some cyberlimb armor.)

After that, and with the resulting damage modifiers (if any), please roll the following tests:
2. Agility + Reaction vs. Threshold 3 to keep hold of your weapons (Sam, Ace, Katsina). Poindexter, if you're trying to keep your Alpha then this is your test to get your arm inside the RV before it gets crushed and ground into kibble.
3. Agility + Gymanstics vs. Threshold 6 to land on your feet (Sam, Ace, Katsina). Otherwise you will be prone.
4. Per p. 202, a Composure test vs. Threshold 4 (everyone but Doc). There will be a dice pool penalty to how many hits you miss the threshold by, for a number of Combat Turns equal to the same number. So if you only roll 1 hit you will have a -3 modifier for 3 combat turns.

Again, use Edge where you need to.

I'm trying to decide whether the materialized Fire Spirits should be affected or not, since they fly and aren't subject to gravity. I'll noodle on that overnight. I will post results for Katsina next.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:47:03/01-17-15)
I am praying to the dice gods; let's see if it works.

Resisting 8P Damage (Body 5 + Bone Density Augmentation 4 + Urban Explorer Jumpsuit 9 - AP 6) (http://orokos.com/roll/247190): 12d6t5 2 [2, 5, 2, 2, 4, 3, 4, 4, 1, 4, 4, 6]

Edging to reroll failures. Edge goes from 4 to 3.

Rerolling Failures (http://orokos.com/roll/247191): 10d6t5 2 [4, 1, 2, 4, 1, 5, 4, 3, 6, 4]

Okay, that could have gone worse. It also could have gone way better. 4P Damage sinks in. Wound Penalty of -1.

I'm assuming I need to make the Gymnastics check as well.

Agility 4 + Gymanstics 5 - Wounds 1 vs. Threshold 6 (http://orokos.com/roll/247193): 8d6t5 2 [3, 5, 1, 3, 4, 5, 4, 2]

All right, Chino had his feet slip out under him.

The dice gods were not in my favor.

Anyway, I can't make the Composure roll, because I don't think I know Chino's Charisma. Also, I forget, do Attribute only tests suffer from Wound penalties? I assume they do.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:50:58/01-17-15)
@8-bit
Cool, I finally made you learn your Charisma. Chino has Charisma 3. Doc's Charisma is the only attribute holdout (there are still some skills, spells, and qualities left to learn about), but will stay hidden for a while since Doc doesn't need to roll Composure.

Wound modifiers do apply to Attribute-only rolls, except for soaking damage and drain.



Let's do this for Katsina:

1. Body 5 + Armor 9 + Ballistic Mask 2 - 6AP = 10 dice against 8P: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/247173), off to a bad start let's Edge that
9 dice rerolling: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247175)

The base attack of 8P exceeds her modified armor value of 5 so Katsina takes 4P (plus 1S from drain earlier in the day) and is now at -1, with two Edge remaining.

2. Agility 6 + Reaction 3 - 1 wound vs. Threshold 3: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247176), Katsina manages to hold onto her sword, thus saving Ohanzee from being a shishkabob
3. Agility 6 + Gymnastics 2 - 1 wound vs. Threshold 6: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/247177), Katsina faceplants
4. Willpower 6 + Charisma 3 - 1 wound vs. Threshold 4: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247178), Katsina is at an additional -1 for the remainder of the combat turn and the first pass of CT2

Katsina also needs to figure out if her preparations trigger due to damage. Per Ryo's houserules:

A preparation taking a single box of Physical damage will not make it lose its magic. This would render Disjoining obsolete, as you could disarm preparations without risking Drain just by smacking them. Instead, a sufficiently damaged preparation is immediately triggered.

Damage to a Preparation does not release the magic unless it is completely destroyed/ruined/scraped off the object. Alchemists shouldn't be at a constant risk of self destructing simply from putting their preparations in the same pocket as their car keys.

Her lynchpins are throwing knives and thus very sturdy. Some soak rolls: 9, 7, and 10 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247181). One lynchpin takes 1DV but this is not enough to trigger the preparation.

Conversely, Ace has a preparation made of wood. Let's call it Structure 4 + Armor 6. We'll say that Ace's armored clothing counterbalances the -6 AP, so we'll roll 10 for the preparation.
Preparation soak: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247187), which stages the damage down to 4P, but this equals the preparation's structure rating so it is smashed. Per Ryo's rules, the spell is triggered.
Force 6 + Potency 6: 4 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247189), Ace now has Combat Sense 4, and so receives +4 to defense for the next 6 minutes

This is going to be an involved IC post. I might not get it up for a day or two, depending on how the weekend goes.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (02:52:03/01-17-15)
Sorry, I didn't intend the comment to be insulting, just that the next scene was going to be fantastic as in fantasy and as in cool.  :(  sorry for the misplaced comment.

And in other news, best soak roll I've ever done!
soak 11 + edge 7 (http://orokos.com/roll/247194): 18d6h5 12

They say drunks survive the crashes because they've gone limp, I guess that worked for good ok' Doc too!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (02:57:38/01-17-15)
@8-bit
Cool, I finally made you learn your Charisma. Chino has Charisma 3. Doc's Charisma is the only attribute holdout (there are still some skills, spells, and qualities left to learn about), but will stay hidden for a while since Doc doesn't need to roll Composure.

Wound modifiers do apply to Attribute-only rolls, except for soaking damage and drain.

After millenia, the mysterious Chino's Charisma was known. Just kidding, thanks for the response.

Sorry, I didn't intend the comment to be insulting, just that the next scene was going to be fantastic as in fantasy and as in cool.  :(  sorry for the misplaced comment.

And in other news, best soak roll I've ever done!
soak 11 + edge 7 (http://orokos.com/roll/247194): 18d6h5 12

They say drunks survive the crashes because they've gone limp, I guess that worked for good ok' Doc too!

Ha, and we thought Doc was a goner. That's some nice rolling.



Here's the Composure test.

Composure (Charisma 3 + Willpower 5 - Wounds 1) (http://orokos.com/roll/247195): 7d6t5 5 [5, 1, 6, 5, 4, 6, 6]

HOLY. You know what? I'll take it. Chino isn't phased in the slightest.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:00:29/01-17-15)
And in other news, best soak roll I've ever done!
soak 11 + edge 7 (http://orokos.com/roll/247194): 18d6h5 12

They say drunks survive the crashes because they've gone limp, I guess that worked for good ok' Doc too!

Good news, bad news.

Good news: LOOK AT THIS EXPLODING 6 ZWEIBLUMEN ROLLED: [6, 6, 6, 6, 1] ARE YOU KIDDING ME THAT'S FOUR HITS FROM ONE DIE

Bad news: You didn't account for the -6 AP. I'm not going to scratch them from the end because that would nix 8 of your hits due to the exploding 6s. Please roll 6 exploding dice and subtract the results from your total. You rolled 4 to hits to spare, so you have a nice cushion to work with.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (03:05:19/01-17-15)
1. Sam = 3P

2. Agility + Reaction vs. Threshold 3 to keep hold of your weapons (Sam, Ace, Katsina). Poindexter, if you're trying to keep your Alpha then this is your test to get your arm inside the RV before it gets crushed and ground into kibble.
3. Agility + Gymanstics vs. Threshold 6 to land on your feet (Sam, Ace, Katsina). Otherwise you will be prone.
4. Per p. 202, a Composure test vs. Threshold 4 (everyone but Doc). There will be a dice pool penalty to how many hits you miss the threshold by, for a number of Combat Turns equal to the same number. So if you only roll 1 hit you will have a -3 modifier for 3 combat turns.

1- soak crash dmg (http://orokos.com/roll/247196): 10d6t5 4
2- keep hold of the XM30 (http://orokos.com/roll/247197): 15d6t5 6
3- I imagine Sam was indeed strapped in and so i feel like he doesn't get a gymnastics test. If i'm wrong, lemme know and i'll make the roll.
4- Composure from the crash (http://orokos.com/roll/247198): 7d6t5 1 Should I play the penalty like Sam is enraged and making bad decisions since it doesn't really seem like he took much of a banging in the crash?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (04:00:29/01-17-15)
My favorite part from the Vehicle section:
Quote from: CRB pg 201

Vehicle crashes are rare, and though they can be spectacular in many cases they do not involve a lot of damage.


It then goes on to mention that you take Vehicle Body damage resisted by Body + Armor - 6 AP. Many vehicles have in excess of 10 Body, so 10P damage or more with -6 AP is NOT a small amount of damage in my book. And it runs completely counter to reality where in Shadowrun if two vehicles collide with a brick wall, the person on the motorbike takes less damage than the person in a van. Ryo's house rules are MUCH more sane.


Anyway, just wanted to mention that I chuckled when I read that line and considered the 16 Bod of the RV. For wont of a comma, that sentence has multiple interpretations; "though they can be spectacular in many cases, they do not involve a lot of damage" (lies!) or "though they can be spectacular, in many cases they do not involve a lot of damage" (if you throw caution to the wind and get a vehicle made out of paper). Seriously, the lightest vehicle you can get has a body of 4 (4P, -6 AP), but if you want more than a bike, you are eating 8P with -6 AP in a crash.


Ohanzee's rolls:
Damage resist - Damage Soak [Body 3 + Armor 6 - AP 6] (http://orokos.com/roll/247201): 3d6t5 1 - Utterly average, Ohanzee takes 2P. Back to -3 Wound Mod.
Composure Test - Composure [Cha 6 + Wil 6 - Wound 3] (http://orokos.com/roll/247202): 9d6t5 2 - and sub par. -2 for 2 CT.


With a total of -4 to anything I do, I think that my effective options will be limited. I might  just run around playing field medic. Of course, I have to survive this Turn first - I'm out of actions and many actors still have two more moves. Most importantly, the spirit I am fighting has at least one more.


And our ride's busted. Hopefully we can grab the Bulldog without it taking too much damage. And the drone would be nice to own.


On a side note, I'm totally digging the action.  But I have a question about the Fireball spell. The damage for a fireball spell is (Force)P DV -Force AP, with the net hits from the scatter test being added. Since the threshold for the scatter test is 3 and the mage rolled 3, the damage for this fireball should be either 12P -12 AP (serious overcast - he's taking 8P drain!) or 6P -6 AP (2 drain, stun if he has 6+ Magic, otherwise physical). So, are your numbers correct on that, or did you get Elemental Attack (single target) confused with Fireball when running the numbers?
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (10:35:38/01-17-15)
And in other news, best soak roll I've ever done!
soak 11 + edge 7 (http://orokos.com/roll/247194): 18d6h5 12

They say drunks survive the crashes because they've gone limp, I guess that worked for good ok' Doc too!

Good news, bad news.

Good news: LOOK AT THIS EXPLODING 6 ZWEIBLUMEN ROLLED: [6, 6, 6, 6, 1] ARE YOU KIDDING ME THAT'S FOUR HITS FROM ONE DIE

Bad news: You didn't account for the -6 AP. I'm not going to scratch them from the end because that would nix 8 of your hits due to the exploding 6s. Please roll 6 exploding dice and subtract the results from your total. You rolled 4 to hits to spare, so you have a nice cushion to work with.

Doh!  I'm gonna blame trying to do this from my phone for that ;)
rolled too many dice! -6 (http://orokos.com/roll/247236): 6d6h5 3 more exploding!
More reasonable 9 soak!  I still get incredibly lucky!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: 8-bit on (16:00:49/01-17-15)
And our ride's busted. Hopefully we can grab the Bulldog without it taking too much damage. And the drone would be nice to own.

Our ride is busted, but we do have the ATV and a Snowmobile in the trailer. Which probably can't carry everyone for very long, but might suffice in an emergency. Assuming we can get to the trailer, that is.

On a side note, I'm totally digging the action.  But I have a question about the Fireball spell. The damage for a fireball spell is (Force)P DV -Force AP, with the net hits from the scatter test being added. Since the threshold for the scatter test is 3 and the mage rolled 3, the damage for this fireball should be either 12P -12 AP (serious overcast - he's taking 8P drain!) or 6P -6 AP (2 drain, stun if he has 6+ Magic, otherwise physical). So, are your numbers correct on that, or did you get Elemental Attack (single target) confused with Fireball when running the numbers?

I also have a question about the Fireball.

If it was Force 12 (to get 12P, -12 AP), then wouldn't it sort of explode in the middle of the car and hit multiple people? The radius would be 12 meters, more than enough to at least hit Chino, if no one else. Unless the mage somehow pinpointed it to hit only Sam. Force 6 would be much smaller (and less damage), but I would think would still hit someone else. Unless I've got the dimensions of the vehicle completely off in my head, which is completely possible.

Please no one hate me for maybe making the fireball try and fry us.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (18:48:54/01-17-15)
I'm assuming that the radius of the blast is largely irrelevant as all of us but Sam have cover from the RV (which took no damage from the blast). Sam, hanging out an open window, did not have that protection, so he and the RV both took the blast. This is house ruled, as are the separate damage resist rolls for the windows and tires. The whole vehicle combat section of the CRB is a mess (as is pretty much everything that intersects Riggers, including the Matrix), as I'm sure we are all aware (and could probably argue that ALL of the CRB is a mess), so I'm happy for the house rules - every one so far has been an improvement, IMO.


But, if Tec does decide to switch gears and go with the RAW on area weapons and vehicles, I don't think we'll be angry with you for your comment. If it's a Force 12 fireball, we're toast either way and at Force 6 we'll all most likely mitigate the damage anyway. But treating vehicles as cover and cover as barriers, thus having it roll it's resist first and only having the occupants roll against damage getting through makes sense, so I hope we stick with it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (02:22:36/01-18-15)
4- Composure from the crash (http://orokos.com/roll/247198): 7d6t5 1 Should I play the penalty like Sam is enraged and making bad decisions since it doesn't really seem like he took much of a banging in the crash?

That is an excellent idea.

Also, you are correct that Sam does not need to make a Gymnastics roll. I incorrectly wrote Sam's name on the list when I meant Chino.

On a side note, I'm totally digging the action.  But I have a question about the Fireball spell. The damage for a fireball spell is (Force)P DV -Force AP, with the net hits from the scatter test being added. Since the threshold for the scatter test is 3 and the mage rolled 3, the damage for this fireball should be either 12P -12 AP (serious overcast - he's taking 8P drain!) or 6P -6 AP (2 drain, stun if he has 6+ Magic, otherwise physical). So, are your numbers correct on that, or did you get Elemental Attack (single target) confused with Fireball when running the numbers?

You are correct, I whiffed on this. The Force of the spell was 6, so the base DV should have been 6P instead of 12P. I was indeed confusing the Elemental Attack damage code for Fireball's base DV.

@Poindexter, Sam only had to soak 6P instead of 12. You rolled 7 hits on your initial soak roll so you do not need to Edge the non-hits. You get your spent point of Edge back thanks to Malevolence's vigilance.

However, 6P is still enough to fry the tire, as it does not have enough Structure to soak the damage, so the RV will still crash and flip.

One correction for Malevolence though. The 5th Edition rule for overcasting is, "If the number of hits (not net hits) you get after applying the limit exceeds your Magic rating, the spell’s Drain is Physical instead of Stun damage" (p. 281). So even if the Magician had been casting at F12, his 3 hits were below his Magic rating and thus his Drain would still be Stun instead of Physical. The rule you were alluding to (Force > Magic = Physical drain) was for 4th Edition but was changed for 5th.

Our ride is busted, but we do have the ATV and a Snowmobile in the trailer. Which probably can't carry everyone for very long, but might suffice in an emergency. Assuming we can get to the trailer, that is.

You won't know the fate of the ATV and snowmobile until you check on them. Same with the Natelys.

I also have a question about the Fireball.

If it was Force 12 (to get 12P, -12 AP), then wouldn't it sort of explode in the middle of the car and hit multiple people? The radius would be 12 meters, more than enough to at least hit Chino, if no one else. Unless the mage somehow pinpointed it to hit only Sam. Force 6 would be much smaller (and less damage), but I would think would still hit someone else. Unless I've got the dimensions of the vehicle completely off in my head, which is completely possible.

The fireball did not explode in the middle of the RV; it detonated outside the passenger door/window where Sam is. The combat mage cannot target the interior of the RV because he/she doesn't have a clear line of fire. Indirect combat spells don't use the traditional spellcasting rules, in which you need to be able to have line-of-sight. Indirect combat spells don't even technically require sight (although it helps to avoid blind fire penalties) but do require a clear line of fire. If there were a giant pane of glass between you and the combat mage, the fireball would have hit that and detonated instead. (For the record, the combat mage is firing out of the window like Sam is, precisely to avoid the windshield obstructing the line of fire.) Think of indirect combat spells like grenades and bullets instead of your traditional Direct spells, which fly through the astral and only take emerge at their point of contact.

Technically 6 meters is enough to get the blast inside the RV, but I am ruling that Sam is a barrier that stops/absorbs it. This is also why the three passengers on the left side of the Bulldog did not roll to soak damage from Sam's fragmentation grenade; the three passenger on the right side of the Bulldog shielded them. (In hindsight, I need to remove a box of damage from two of the passengers to reflect the drop-off in the frag grenade's DV from where it detonated - at the front of the vehicle - to where they were sitting - in the middle and the rear.)

Area effects are one of the rulesets where I really wish this were a computer game so the GM wouldn't have to mentally calculate the distance of every single actor to the center of a blast. Technically the Tata could have been within the frag grenade's blast radius; technically, the fireball could have blown out the window next to Ohanzee and subjected him to a soak roll too. But there's a limit to my processing powers and how much time I can dedicate to teasing out every cascading consequence. I spent 4-5 hours yesterday trying to figure everything about (although a good portion of that was houseruling on the fly), mostly because I wanted to get the OOC posts up in time for people to process them over the weekend. At a certain point I had to just draw a line and say, "I can't take it any further."

This is my first opportunity to get online today so I haven't had a chance to tackle the IC post(s) yet. Sunday will be another busy day as well, but hopefully there will be some time available in the evening. That gives rednblack some time to make his rolls too.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (03:17:58/01-18-15)
@Tec: In case it wasn't obvious, thanks for doing all of this work.  It ain't easy being green(or a GM), and as a player I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.  I'd buy you a beer or 3 if I could.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Poindexter on (04:08:44/01-18-15)
@Tec: In case it wasn't obvious, thanks for doing all of this work.  It ain't easy being green(or a GM), and as a player I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.  I'd buy you a beer or 3 if I could.

seconded
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (03:03:46/01-19-15)
I hope everyone had a good weekend.

I have a report due on Wednesday so I'm going to be less active the next few days. We'll be starting CT1 IP2 after Ace makes his rolls. The enemy decker and agent will be first, then Doc and his Agent.

@Everyone, please feel free to post ICly about your last actions and the crash.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (08:07:02/01-19-15)
@Tec: In case it wasn't obvious, thanks for doing all of this work.  It ain't easy being green(or a GM), and as a player I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.  I'd buy you a beer or 3 if I could.

Well said, Zwei.  I think we're all in agreement on this one.  Thanks, Tec.

Ok, rolls.

Crash Soak: Prep(4)+Bod(5)+Cyberlimb Armor(4) (http://orokos.com/roll/247766): 13d6t5 7
1P.  I'll save the edge.

Hold onto Weapon (http://orokos.com/roll/247767): 13d6t5 1
I am going to edge this on the chance that Ace's expensive toy would get damaged.  Re-rolling failures

RE-roll failures (http://orokos.com/roll/247768): 12d6t5 6
Wow 50% success rate.

Does Ace stand? (http://orokos.com/roll/247769): 11d6t5 1
Does Ace stand?  Nope.

Composure (http://orokos.com/roll/247770): 7d6t5 3
-1 mod for 1 turn.  I can live with that.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (13:10:56/01-19-15)
Crash Soak: Prep(4)+Bod(5)+Cyberlimb Armor(4) (http://orokos.com/roll/247766): 13d6t5 7
1P.  I'll save the edge.

What is Prep(4)? Is that for Combat Sense? This is a soak roll, not a dodge/defense roll, so unfortunately Combat Sense would not apply. (Also, the spell technically hasn't gone off yet since the preparation won't trigger until the same impact that Ace is soaking breaks the preparation.)

If that's what it was, please roll 4 dice and subtract the hits from Ace's total. If it's for something else that I've forgotten, please let me know.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (13:23:16/01-19-15)
@Tec: would Doc have any idea about the crash?  I don't think anyone is letting him use their goggles/earbuds anymore, but if someone is lemme know! :)

If aware, he'd use an edge to jump to the front of the line.  The last thing the team needs right now is the decker getting the upper hand on us.

Doc's limp form tumbles out of the couch on the left and somehow lands comfortably against the back of the dinette booth on the right.

hahah :) thanks!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: rednblack on (13:27:05/01-19-15)
Crash Soak: Prep(4)+Bod(5)+Cyberlimb Armor(4) (http://orokos.com/roll/247766): 13d6t5 7
1P.  I'll save the edge.

What is Prep(4)? Is that for Combat Sense? This is a soak roll, not a dodge/defense roll, so unfortunately Combat Sense would not apply. (Also, the spell technically hasn't gone off yet since the preparation won't trigger until the same impact that Ace is soaking breaks the preparation.)

If that's what it was, please roll 4 dice and subtract the hits from Ace's total. If it's for something else that I've forgotten, please let me know.

Yeah, I thought the prep helped with soak rolls. 

Whoops -4 (http://orokos.com/roll/247832): 4d6t5 2

So, that's 3P all together, and Ace is at a -1 modifier.  Saving my last edge because I have a feeling Ace'll need it.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (14:43:58/01-19-15)
@Tec: would Doc have any idea about the crash?  I don't think anyone is letting him use their goggles/earbuds anymore, but if someone is lemme know! :)

If aware, he'd use an edge to jump to the front of the line.  The last thing the team needs right now is the decker getting the upper hand on us.

I've been thinking about this. My best guess is that Doc knows that the RV has gone off the road - presumably the road has some sort of Matrix presence due to GridLink, and he can see the RV's icon deviate from it - but not that the RV has crashed or flipped.

I'm going to proceed with the assumption that there's not enough evidence to alarm Doc.

Enemy Decker: Action Hidden. Nothing that Doc or his Agent need to roll against.
Enemy Agent: Erase Mark: 6 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247840)
@Zweiblumen: Go ahead and roll to defend your Mark. Please also list your configuration again (generally speaking, once per OOC page of posts).

Next
1. Doc + Doc's Agent
2. Ork Samurai (Bulldog passenger seat)
3. Rotodrone + Fire Spirit (materialized) + Wolf (simultaneous)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (15:11:18/01-19-15)
Programs: Agent; Decryption; Encryption; Mugger
A: 7(8 ) S: 4 D: 6 F: 5(6)

Defending Mark (Will 5 + FW 6 = 11) (http://orokos.com/roll/247846): 11d6t5 3 Mark gone.

Okay, lets see if I can ramp this up some... trying for two marks this time.  Agent getting the last ID, then I'll have it defend the deck.
CT1 IP2:
Agent: Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls + VR 2 = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/247852): 16d6t5 5 (#6)
Doc:
Complex: Brute Force Mark 2 marks (Log 9 + CC 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 - two marks 4 = 13) (http://orokos.com/roll/247853): 13d6t5 4
Free: Tell the Agent to Defend the Deck.

4 hits worked last time, lets hope it works again :)
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Malevolence on (16:17:39/01-19-15)
While no one else is sharing their eyes and ears with you, you do have some interesting gear of your own that you can use. You have a biomonitor that would track any number of things that might alert you to activity around your body. It probably has a step counter of other movement sensor that would detect that your body is moving, etc. You have cyber eyes, so you could watch your own video feed - presumably leaving your eyes open won't cause any issues (except to freak out observers) since they don't likely need to be kept moist like a regular eye. And you have a subvocal mic that you could listen in on. Noticing that the RV has left the road might be curious enough to you to choose to activate one or more of thee methods.
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (17:11:10/01-19-15)
Agent: Agent's Matrix Perception on hiden icon Rating(6)*2+2 for all rolls + VR 2 = 16 (http://orokos.com/roll/247852): 16d6t5 5 (#6)[/url]

Silent Device #6 is a Renraku Sensei, rating 3, Firewall 3.

Complex: Brute Force Mark 2 marks (Log 9 + CC 6 + VR 2 - Wounds 1 - two marks 4 = 13) (http://orokos.com/roll/247853): 13d6t5 4

Oops, you fell into a trap. The enemy decker is on Full Matrix Defense, hoping that Doc would get overly aggressive.

Willpower + Firewall + Willpower (Full Matrix Defense) + Modifiers: 7 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247873)

3 net hits on the defense means 3 boxes of Matrix damage, but chummer here is running Blackout so that means 3 boxes of Stun too. Because the damage is the result of a resisted Attack action, it cannot be soaked or resisted. Doc charges forward head-first, bounces off the enemy's firewall, and sees stars.

You have cyber eyes, so you could watch your own video feed - presumably leaving your eyes open won't cause any issues (except to freak out observers) since they don't likely need to be kept moist like a regular eye. And you have a subvocal mic that you could listen in on. Noticing that the RV has left the road might be curious enough to you to choose to activate one or more of thee methods.

A lot of this is possible but would require a Simple Action (the equivalent of Observe in Detail) to divert your attention from what's going on in VR long enough to make sense of what's happening in the physical world.

Ork Samurai
The ork, seeing his HK 227 do very little, is going to pop a cyberspur and stab Wolf.
Agility + Unarmed: 2 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247877)
Wolf dodge (-2 constrained -3 fourth defense): 0 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247878), and that's why you whittle away the defense pool with multiple attacks, kiddies

Base damage is 14P -2AP - brutal! must be a cyberarm! - staged up to 16P by net hits. Wolf soaked 16 last time - can he do it again?
Wolf soak: 8 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247879) + 5 auto-hits = 13 net hits
Wolf takes an additional 3P for a total of 4P. Wolf is now at -1 wound modifier, which drops his initiative score by 1. He is no longer tied, so the rotodrone and materialized spirit act first.
All of Wolf's damage has come from this one ork, suggesting that he is a bad motherfragger.

Rotodrone
The rotodrone swings around the front of the RV to shoot Sam through the windshield.
Agility (AGI instead of LOG because the rigger is jumped-in) + Gunnery + Smartlink: 1 hit (http://orokos.com/roll/247883)
Windshield soaking: 3 hits (http://orokos.com/roll/247884), forgot AP but dropping last two dice wouldn't matter
@Poindexter: Sam has to dodge 1 hit. He's at +4 for Good Cover but -2 Constrained and -3 Composure and -2 for Short Burst, so -3 overall. That still leaves Sam with 6 dice to roll a hit (and not glitch).
If Sam doesn't roll any hits, the base damage is 10P + 1 net hit - 3 Windshield Soak = 8P -2AP

Materialized Fire Spirit
Good news: The spirit isn't attacking anyone!
Bad news: The spirit has been commanded to set the RV on fire, and seems to be enjoying its assignment. All that carpet and wood paneling is beginning to catch fire. There is no smoke modifier yet but there will be if the fire is not suppressed. The smoke modifier will grow one step per Combat Turn, which is not a threat for smoke inhalation but will begin to limit visibility.

Next
Wolf!
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Zweiblumen on (17:52:07/01-19-15)
Oops, you fell into a trap. The enemy decker is on Full Matrix Defense, hoping that Doc would get overly aggressive.

Par for the course :)  I'm not so good at this!

Updated char sheet with new wounds.

Do you have my total edge spent?  I think it's 3, but I might be missing something in my notes.  Also, you mentioned the only stat missing now is my CHA, but I've got that, it's my base STR that I'm missing (I've got my cyber arm) unless that was noted somewhere and I missed it :(
Title: Re: [5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II
Post by: Tecumseh on (18:17:03/01-19-15)
Do you have my total edge spent?  I think it's 3, but I might be missing something in my notes.  Also, you mentioned the only stat missing now is my CHA, but I've got that, it's my base STR that I'm missing (I've got my cyber arm) unless that was noted somewhere and I missed it :(

Yes, Doc has spent three Edge:
12/8/14 - Edge refreshes
12/17/14 - Tec rolls Edge for Doc per Zweiblumen's request
1/11/15 - Edge spent to go first
1/17/15 - Edged soak roll from RV crash

And you're right, you do know Doc's Charisma. I had not marked it off on the master sheet. That means that Doc's base Strength is the only attribute value not yet known. Everyone still has at least one unknown skill remaining.

Speaking of knowns and unknowns:
1. When Ohanzee thumps his head, he remembers that he has the spell Clout.
2. When Sam sees the rotodrone shooting at him, he remembers that he can do that too. Sa