NEWS

Nissan Optimum II

• 10 Replies

Winters_night

• Newb
« on: <07-10-14/1059:25> »
I'm going yo preface this by saying I'm totally new to shadowrun, but I've been eyeing the optimum for my street Sam as my go to run weapon but comparing it to the ares  just can't seem to justify it. Am I missing something about shotguns that makes the underbarrel good? Dv 10 seems low compared to the grenade launcher  ontop of the other differences

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <07-10-14/1106:02> »
I'm going yo preface this by saying I'm totally new to shadowrun, but I've been eyeing the optimum for my street Sam as my go to run weapon but comparing it to the ares  just can't seem to justify it. Am I missing something about shotguns that makes the underbarrel good? Dv 10 seems low compared to the grenade launcher  ontop of the other differences
Depends what you need mate. shotguns can be pretty handy for hitting multiple targets (flechettes) or continuing to fire once your main clip runs dry with APDS slugs (or any alternative ammo type like stick n shock).
Grenade launchers are a whole other barrel of fish. you can use them for chucking down a smokescreen/blowing shit up/launching knockout gas grenades, but utilising the more explosive options are A) gonna bring the roof down on your heads and B) scare the shit out of corpsec and have HTR called in pretty damn quickly.

different horses for different courses mate, they're both useful
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

TeOdio

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-10-14/1321:44> »
Also depends on the background of the Sammy. He may have a preference on the Optimum based on it's style. I personally like Bull Pup style guns not only based on looks, but also on Operator's preference for them in urban fighting scenarios. Pure fluff, but from a crunch stand point Csjerrat is correct. Bigger bang, bigger threat you make yourself, but a few well placed grenades can end a skirmish really quickly.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <07-11-14/0107:21> »
Discuss With Your GM.  Dear god, discuss with your GM.  Find out what kind of game he's running.  Otherwise your Optimum Assault Rifle (or your Ares HVAR) is going to be sitting out the run in the transport - ready to shoot at pursuers, but not a lot of usefulness if you're going into the building even a little quietly.

On the other hand, if you want to get into somewhere masquerading as a JIS Marine, the Optimum seems to be the weapon of choice ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

LionofPerth

• Omae
  • That's Mind Taking Baby!
« Reply #4 on: <07-11-14/0754:08> »
Discuss With Your GM.  Dear god, discuss with your GM.  Find out what kind of game he's running.  Otherwise your Optimum Assault Rifle (or your Ares HVAR) is going to be sitting out the run in the transport - ready to shoot at pursuers, but not a lot of usefulness if you're going into the building even a little quietly.

On the other hand, if you want to get into somewhere masquerading as a JIS Marine, the Optimum seems to be the weapon of choice ...

Find out what type of game you're in before you get too attached to any piece of equipment. I have the option to give my Face type character the EBR, as well as being a quite respectable shot with a pistol.

The exact character will be decided by the nature of the game.
When in doubt, C4.

Winters_night

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-11-14/1051:13> »

Well yeah I've planned to have a variety of weapons, Katana, Survival Knife, Tiffani-Defiance Protector, Fichetti Security 600, Ruger Superhawk, Ares Crusader II, Ingram Smartgun X, Enfield As-7, Ingram Valiant, than either the Ares Alpha or Nissan Optimum.

Don't plan on using them all all the time, right tool for the job at hand and all that.

If it's something like breaking into facility to steal something I'd rely more on the Ares crusader (w/silencer) and Ingram, but if it goes south I want some Bang bang on me.
Also if it's a kick in the door and kill everything yeah assault rifle :)
« Last Edit: <07-11-14/1055:35> by Winters_night »

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-11-14/1055:08> »
I'd rather discuss with my GM why the Nitama Optimum II is now called Nissan ??!
and if that's a kind of Retcon or just a Typo

with a Kind of Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

kuromi

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-11-14/1434:06> »
Honestly, I'd probably go for the alpha over the optimum. I wanted to like the optimum, but its damage codes are among the weaker of the ARs and shotguns. I mean, having an AR and shotgun in one handy package seems nice, but the Optimum's shotgun just doesn't have the oomph of normal shotguns. If you're wanting  different tools for different situations, you already have a shotgun, but no grenade launcher, which you'd get with the Alpha.

And as people said, it depends on the kind of game your GM is running. If popping off a couple grenades is likely to get the hammer dropped on you by Lonestar, KE, or corporate security, and/or it would be too heavy handed a solution in most situations your GM would throw at you anyways, then maybe the Alpha isn't right either.  When I was picking my weapons, if I thought it was going to be in a situation where I needed a shotgun, I wanted a real shotgun. And it would be rare I'd get to use the GL of the Alpha, so I actually went with the EBR. I can't do suppressive fire with it, but for all other situations where I'd need an AR type weapon, it works, it hits as hard as a shotgun and it doubles as a sniper rifle. It fulfills a lot of roles- and if you're getting a valiant, you have a suppressive fire role filled already anyways.

Carpool

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-12-14/1839:33> »
For me, its always the Colt M-23 with, in 4e, a powered slide mount, so I coudl swap a foregrip, grenade launcher or shotgun, depending on what the mission required

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #9 on: <07-13-14/1848:40> »
For me, its always the Colt M-23 with, in 4e, a powered slide mount, so I coudl swap a foregrip, grenade launcher or shotgun, depending on what the mission required

Yeah, used to have a lot of love for the M-23, but just not feeling the 5e stats. Using the current analogy of it as the successor to the M-16/M-4 versus the AK-74/97-98...I can see the AK hitting harder, but also being MORE accurate??? The RL gun nut in me rails, but at the end of the day, it's just a game.

But as for the NO II, yeah, i see this as a very versitile weapon. Great for those times where the range of the assault rifle will help in longer distance fights while the bullpup design and shotgun allows for transition to a CQB weapon very easy without having to pull our or carry another weapon. Add specialty rounds to the shotgun and you got a decent door breacher or less-than lethal option.

Yeah, the Alpha is also a bullpup, but if you look at the art (see Fields of fire and Arsenal, I disbeleive the SR4A crud...sorry), the grenade launcher pretty much nerfs the idea of it being a decent CQB rifle with that HUGE barrel making the weapon too blasted long! And never did like the ergonomics of it as well...just sayin'.
« Last Edit: <07-13-14/1850:14> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-13-14/1909:55> »
I think you're better off trading in the AS-7 for an AA16 or Mossberg AM-CMDT, and buying an under barrel grenade launcher for it.  The grenade launcher has nearly the same range as an assault rifle, but you've also got the benefit of Full-auto flechette to throw at a group of targets.  That and you can still load up with APDS and punch a lot of very large holes.

You could also grab a Yamaha Raiden with under barrel flame thrower.  It's silenced already and has a higher accuracy than the alpha, and the flamer will give you the short range spread-shot that you'd get from the shotgun.