NEWS

Anthroform Drones and Cybernetics

• 6 Replies

Carpool

• Newb
« on: <06-30-14/2234:09> »
Do you think Anthroform drones should be able to utilize certain cyberware upgrades?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <07-01-14/0027:31> »
Nope.

Vehicle upgrades, sure. But not bio/cyberware. Those are made for a 'human' element (either in their attachment, or in their control interface) that is just not there in a drone.

Then there is the obvious game balance issues to consider...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

martinchaen

« Reply #2 on: <07-01-14/0048:43> »
Yes.

Certain cyberware makes sense to my mind; cyberguns, for instance, is something I would personally allow for anthroform drones with mechanical arms.

What did you have in mind, since you asked?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <07-01-14/0120:12> »
If there's a vehicular variation for the cyberware you want to use, I would rule that you have to use the vehicular variation; that's what it is, after all.  This would apply to the limb strength rules, sensors, and any other variations.  Martinchaen talks about cyberguns, but vehicles do already have 'fixed weapon mounts', which rules I would say would override the use of cyberguns.  (Besides, which do you want, one set of ammo or 50?  ;) )

I'd also check the difference in price between the vehicular variant and the cyberware, with an eye towards cost increase/decrease for the vehicle (whether that's because the implant version needs to worry about interfacing with flesh so its cost goes up, or that the vehicle one has to be more 'heavy duty' and so its cost goes up).

In general, though, I would say yes.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #4 on: <07-01-14/0435:02> »
I played in 4th ed as a Cyborg. And in arsenal there was such option to use cyberware for drones and vehicles. Of course the GM was to say: If you can fit it, How much Capacity it takes, and how much will it cost. But, for real,... there are F4cking lots of problems.

There is yet another simpler question: Can Anthroform wear armor [that would be tilored for them]?
RAW: No. RAI: NO! The balance will $uck.
Ok, So why?
Erm,... The drone is build to 'wear' its own weight, if you attach to it more armor that that, it will be slower. And normal armor would could possily stuck some joints and mechanical parts [ie cooling vents], and if we are talking about Tailored armor for drones? There is a vechicle Mod for it [was in 4ed, and propably will be in riggers book].

Cyberguns? Use concealed weapon mount...

Or even,... Just try to anwser the one of most difficuld question of the topic:
So your drone have hands, right? So why not use weapons that are not mounted? Why would it be gunnery? Not,... Longarms for sniper rifle?

I just hope they will clarify the Cyborgs/Anthroforms rules... one or two pages would do... I could write it for tham for free,... and test it, just don't leave such a crap as it was in 4th ed
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <07-01-14/1031:00> »
Depends on the specifics.  I wouldn't blanket rule out cybernetics for anthroform drones, but the list would be a LOT smaller.  For instance, if you wanted to use armored plating like that found in cyberarms, I'd use vehicle armor.  For weapons, I'd use vehicle weapon mounts.  Where vehicular rules don't exist, cybernetics might be okay.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

martinchaen

« Reply #6 on: <07-01-14/1039:35> »
I'll check my books, but I believe Arsenal directly states that mechanical arms can take cycerware, but that it's up to the GM what ware is available.

My issue with using weapon mounts is that they are vastly different from cyberguns; an anthroform drone with two mechanical arms can have two or even more cyberguns, but as far as I'm aware none of them have a BOD of 6 which is required for 2 (or more) weapon mounts.

EDIT
Aha, found it.

Quote from: Arsenal 139, Mechanical Arm/Grapple
At the gamemaster’s discretion, full arms can be tricked out with accessories just like a full cyberlimb (see pp. 335–337, SR4, and pp. 44–48, Augmentation). The gamemaster has final say over what accessories a mechanical arm can take.

As for cyberlimb accessories I would allow, I'll go through them one-by-one and compare with vehicle upgrades if available.

From the core 4th Edition rulebook:
Cyberarm Gyromount: takes up 4 capacity, costs 6k, and adds 3 recoil compensation. Similar to Body Stabilizer, 3k more expensive for R3, but doesn't provide knockdown bonus.
Verdict: I'd allow it.

Cyberarm Slide: similar to a hidden arm slide, has no direct equivalent in vehicle modifications.

Cyber Holster: similar to the cyberarm slide, no direct equivalent.

Hydraulic Jacks: Modifies jumping tests and distance, as well as falling damage. Has no direct equivalent.

Large Smuggling Compartment: takes up 5 capacity and costs 100,000¥ (!); similar to smuggling compartment vehicle modification which takes up 1 slot and costs a much more reasonable 1500¥.
Verdict: I'd allow it, simply because it's stupid expensive and provides no real benefit over a regular vehicle compartment, so if you want to blow your money on it go right ahead...

Cyber-implant weapons: has an equivalent in weapon mounts, but each weapon mount requires a BOD of 3 and concealed mounts are very, very expensive.
Verdict: I'd allow it, on the grounds that a mechanical arm is no different from a cybernetic limb in terms of being able to accommodate cyber implant weapons; weapon mounts to my mind are more custom fit jobs for vehicles which do not have weapon mounts, while a cybernetic arm is similar enough to a mechanical arm that the cyber implant weapons can be installed directly with very little adaptation needed.

Now, from Augmentation for 4th Edition:
I'd allow Scanner Systems, Snake Fingers, Telescoping Cyberlimbs, and pretty much every Modular Cyberlimb that can be installed in an arm or leg, as they have no direct equivalents in vehicle mods.
« Last Edit: <07-01-14/1208:18> by martinchaen »