NEWS

Mystic Adept 5e

• 8 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« on: <03-04-14/1212:15> »
So one of my players is playing a mystic adept and he has 6 magic and so he casted a force 6 spell in our introduce ourself to the new edition and after about a year or two of not playing brush up on our skills before we jump into anything big.

Well 4e you had to "split" your magic but the player didn't think so for 5e and he was the FIRST done with his character a week ago so I was inclined to believe him, and reading through the magic section I see Mystic adept is not really mentioned, so last night before bed I flipped forward to the front and found priorities listing it. (I was almost worried mystic adept just wasn't in the book!)

Anyways I didn't see anything about splitting only a special rule that they can buy power points for 2 karma.... up to their magic score.

So Correct me if i'm wrong but they made Mystic adepts "better" in the sense that they don't have to split their 6 magic 3 Magician, and then 3 adept or whatever combination they wanted in 4e......

If so I think that is pretty cool.

One thing my group doesn't need to 'complain about' xD They don't seem to like the priority system, though from the character's they've either Remade or new ones they've made I generally like it. Stops us from making 30 dice rolling pistol characters, and my troll named "Bullet Stopper" with 25 boxes before starting to bleed out and 16 or so bleed out boxes before dead..... On top of like 20 armor + 16 body for soak roll.

We'll see if they warm up to it. :D
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-14/1229:32> »
Anyways I didn't see anything about splitting only a special rule that they can buy power points for 2 karma.... up to their magic score.
no he doesn't need to split his Magic
but the cost is 5 Pts per Powerpoint (Erratta ;) )

with a corrected Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <03-04-14/1232:27> »
The Mystic Adepts were given a bit of a buff in the sense that they no longer split their Magic ratings, but they now have to buy their power points at character creation (and only at character creation) with karma.  As Medicineman pointed out, the karma cost is 5 karma per power point.  So there was a bit of a buffing, and also a bit of a nerfing performed.  Ultimately, they remain one of the archetypes with the most potential power and versatility, given a large enough flow of karma to deposit into their powers, skills, metamagics, etc.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-14/1252:39> »
Even 4th edition had some hybrid-handling so MA's weren't completely screwed in non-overkarma'd games - Adept powers that operated by Magic rating I believe used the total magic for things like minutes you could Berserk or hold Facial Sculpt, meters you can use Distance Strike or Gliding, duration for Elemental Strike, how little time you needed to immerse yourself in a language with Linguist adept power, things like that. A good deal of powers relied only on that power's level, but some also required influence from the MA's magic.

Whether or not this is actually canon I don't know because I couldn't find anything explicit about it in S4A or Street Magic, but that's been my groups' understanding.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-04-14/1259:30> »
no he doesn't need to split his Magic
but the cost is 5 Pts per Powerpoint (Erratta ;) )

with a corrected Dance
Medicineman

Thanks Medicineman at least I see a familiar face around here. :P I wonder however if you've ever repeated yourself with one of your dances! XD I'll be sure to let him know that next time he makes one we'll have to use 5 instead of 2. Not going to penalize right now especially since non of us really do convention play or whatever just home games and sometimes I throw in a module. :)

With a Counter Dance
-The Trapped Man  8)
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Triskavanski

« Reply #5 on: <03-04-14/1727:46> »
There is another time they can get PP, and that is through initiation, by purchasing the PP metamagic. Other than that, they cannot progress as quickly on the adept side of things

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-04-14/1800:16> »
There is another time they can get PP, and that is through initiation, by purchasing the PP metamagic. Other than that, they cannot progress as quickly on the adept side of things

Sounds like it'd be more expensive Karma wise to do that AFTER generation.

Question if they take point in Magic raising them from 6 to 7 do they get a power point for free like adepts or they just go up one magic and the possibility of one more power point that they could buy through initiation.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-04-14/1852:54> »
As of the errata, mystic adepts do not get power points from raising their Magic. The only way for them to get PP after chargen is by choosing one instead of a metamagic when Initiating.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-04-14/1953:12> »
Gotcha sounds good. :D