NEWS

6e Basic Set Sword

• 52 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #45 on: <06-28-19/1237:43> »
It not being a dump stat doesn’t mean it effects melee damage.

Weapons don’t have a strength minimum. Strength does not effect melee dv. It still uses agility to attack. Maybe it helps with edge maybe strength creates your melee defense value. Maybe there is something else. I kind of doubt there is a hidden save. I suspect people are just overvaluing 1 edge. Though who knows maybe there is a 1 edge use that allows you to add 1/2 your strength to your melee dv or something.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #46 on: <06-28-19/1424:32> »

Weapons don’t have a strength minimum. Strength does not effect melee dv. It still uses agility to attack. Maybe it helps with edge maybe strength creates your melee defense value. Maybe there is something else. I kind of doubt there is a hidden save. I suspect people are just overvaluing 1 edge. Though who knows maybe there is a 1 edge use that allows you to add 1/2 your strength to your melee dv or something.

That could be interesting. We know from the rigger  dossier positive qualities that there’s more uses for edge then what we know. Maybe they have a system that gives melee some versatility like SA/BF/FA for guns. Something like using your weapon for offense or defense and changing the damage/melee rating based on that.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <08-18-19/1018:50> »
The main reason I don't see Strength as a dump stat is the buzz I've heard around special melee actions. (Trip, knock down, disarm) which are all Str based. Common scenario I hear is if you do str 1 or 2, prepared to have your weapon ceremoniously ripped from your hands or fall flat on your back.

Main problem I see with this is that it further buffs unarmed, where strength affects DV AND adds to ability to use things like Grapple, Disarm, etc. Becomes really hard to think of a scenario you'd want melee weapon other than your fist.....other than potentially reach? Haven't looked at the range of some of the melee weapons, but if they can go into the next range, instead of just the closest, could see a use there....

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <08-18-19/1734:09> »

That could be interesting. We know from the rigger  dossier positive qualities that there’s more uses for edge then what we know. Maybe they have a system that gives melee some versatility like SA/BF/FA for guns. Something like using your weapon for offense or defense and changing the damage/melee rating based on that.

Funny that you mention firing modes, because my current houserule draft (based on the QSR) goes like this:

• For every Point of Strength below the Base Damage of a Melee Weapon, decrease the AR by 2.
  • Furthermore, for every full 2 Points of Strength above the Damage Code of the Melee Weapon, you may increase the Damage Code of the Weapon by one and decrease the AR by 2 when making an Attack.

The first paragraph adds a soft form of Strength requirement. The second Paragraph adds a kind of "Mighty Blow"-style option, that works a bit like the way Firing Modes/Recoil are handled - which is intended, repetition is easier to remember ;) With this rule, Toby the Troll should usually be able to boost Melee Weapon Damage past his unarmed damage as long as the base AR is not too low. Of course, there are still Melee Weapons where these rules doesn‘t apply, like Monowhips or Stun Batons. I also have yet to see the finalized Damage Codes and Attack Ratings to see if this is viable. Maybe I´ll add this sentence to the first paragraph: "for every point of Strength above the base Damage Code, add 1 to the AR of the Weapon".

Or something completely different, I´m open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: <08-18-19/1759:47> by Finstersang »

fougerec99

• Newb
« Reply #49 on: <08-28-19/1057:13> »
I'm not sure if it's reflected in the QSR, but there IS very good reason to not dump STR in 6e if you're using melee weapons.

What is that good reason?  Simply to avoid being disarmed?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <08-28-19/1108:56> »
I'm not sure if it's reflected in the QSR, but there IS very good reason to not dump STR in 6e if you're using melee weapons.

What is that good reason?  Simply to avoid being disarmed?

Grapples as well.

Not sure it’s worth it to grapple on offense though. I’d you focussed on strength to do it just punching the dude probably handles the issue and one action punch is better than 2 actions grapple them hurt them. But the grapple take down thing does absurd damage if the grappler is a troll or orc.

For disarm since you focused on agility and dumped strength you just bonus minor action draw a gun and shoot the dude Indiana Jones style. So hey blocker blow that minor action, my Remington roomsweeper is good up close.

dezmont

• Chummer
« Reply #51 on: <08-28-19/1110:02> »
I am mega skeptical of the str to avoid disarm argument for a few reasons. Its so expensive to raise that threshold and it goes up really slowly so either your opposition is not scaling or anyone who matters disarms you anyway u til you get into str scores where you would just use unarmed anyway.

Meanwhile, know what is rather cheap? Extra swords. It isn't really sensical llre wise but because disarm needs to be a core mechanic to make str matter either str doesn't matter or you can just carry like 5 swords and look like a Naruto character and totally invalidate the mechanic anyway.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <08-28-19/1122:34> »
Well if your strength is 3, that means the person trying disarm you is probably going to need 9 dice. Since Wrest is an Edge Action, there's no edge shenanigans available for manipulating your dice outcomes.  And since average Agility is 2, and 4 ranks represents professional grade skill, regular chumps aren't likely to be knocking your sword away, just so long as you don't try gaming the system and going with 1 or 2 Strength.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.