NEWS

Hermetic soliciting assistance in creating Ally Spirit formula

• 8 Replies

dlinch

• Newb
« on: <04-20-16/0606:54> »
Evening all. I am looking at soliciting assistance in creating an Ally Spirit formula. My experience is not as extensive in this area as it needs to be in order to properly research and create the requisite formula. The requested assistant must be of the hermetic tradition and a member of the Ash Union magical group based out of Chicago. In recompense, I am willing to assist others in this endeavor on a quid pro quo basis; or other remuneration can be worked out. I do have some skill in Arcana and I am able to quicken the Increase Logic spell as well. Communication via the normal channels is requested so that we may further discuss our various options. Your attention to this matter is highly appreciated. Thank you one and all.

-George
AKA- The Professor

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-21-16/0708:44> »
I wish there were a "Like" button as I really like how you did this!
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-21-16/2157:36> »
Just to ask, what is your total Arcana Dice Pool and what Force are you aiming for?

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-21-16/2235:54> »
Just to ask, what is your total Arcana Dice Pool and what Force are you aiming for?

My Arcana (Spirit Formula) is currently 2(4) with Logic at 10 for a total pool of 14. Looking at summoning a Force 6.
The more/better support I can get, the less I need to pump my Arcana skill up. But if I need to, I can always spend the karma. Rather not as this endeavor is already extremely expensive as it is.

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-21-16/2338:01> »
Okay. So this is where the first big problem lies.

Your Arcane Skill is only 2, which means you can ONLY receive total added dice from teamwork test up to your skill rating. Specialization does not count toward that total since it does not increase the actual skill rating, but gives a bonus to those types of test.

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-22-16/0547:32> »
Your Arcane Skill is only 2, which means you can ONLY receive total added dice from teamwork test up to your skill rating. Specialization does not count toward that total since it does not increase the actual skill rating, but gives a bonus to those types of test.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. So many moving parts and spinning plates to keep track of between the various books, errata, and FAQ. I'll take a look at it.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-22-16/0616:13> »
I did some quick calculations through an excel spreadsheet, and it looks like a Dice Pool of 14 with a skill of only 2 CANNOT collaborate to create a Force 6 spirit.

As a side note, You  are capable of creating a Force 4 by yourself. And with an assistant with a pool as low as 12 could help you create a Force 5.

You will have to increase your skill to at least 3 to have a chance of creating a Force 6...
(Not an unreasonable thing since Rank 3 is barely "Competent" and a Force 6 is "Extremely" difficult.)

I haven't performed any calculations with more than a single assistant, but if you get your skill up to 3 (which should also increase your die pool to 15, then an assistant with a dice pool of at least 14 should be able to help you get the requisite Threshold of 30.

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-22-16/1740:18> »
I did some quick calculations through an excel spreadsheet, and it looks like a Dice Pool of 14 with a skill of only 2 CANNOT collaborate to create a Force 6 spirit.

As a side note, You  are capable of creating a Force 4 by yourself. And with an assistant with a pool as low as 12 could help you create a Force 5.

You will have to increase your skill to at least 3 to have a chance of creating a Force 6...
(Not an unreasonable thing since Rank 3 is barely "Competent" and a Force 6 is "Extremely" difficult.)

I haven't performed any calculations with more than a single assistant, but if you get your skill up to 3 (which should also increase your die pool to 15, then an assistant with a dice pool of at least 14 should be able to help you get the requisite Threshold of 30.

With a Arcana of 6 and Logic of 10 (via Quickening), you can construct a Force 6 Ally Spirit formulae. With specialization, you can do a Force 7. This is without any assistance.

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <04-22-16/1924:33> »

Yep. I had forgotten the rule about only being allowed to use up to the leaders rating in the applicable skill. An Arcana (Spirit Formula) of 3(5) will allow me to use the three extra die I need to use assistants properly.
Thanks for the help and the number crunching.

With a Arcana of 6 and Logic of 10 (via Quickening), you can construct a Force 6 Ally Spirit formulae. With specialization, you can do a Force 7. This is without any assistance.

Actually, you need 17 dice to create 30 successes on the extended test. 16 only gets you 28 successes. A pure Arcana of 6 isn't enough to get there with a Logic of 10. You either need to go to Arcana 7 or Arcana (Spirit Formula) 5(7) to be able to do it all yourself.
But the point of the original post, which we have somewhat got off of in our discussion about mechanics, was to solicit help in order to reduce the cost of creating the ally spirit.
Reducing Arcana from 7 to 3(5) saves 37 karma. Considering a run is ~6 karma (not factoring in Cash for Karma of course), that is a fair amount of game time reduced.

With an Arcana (Spirit Formula) of 3(5), I will need either one assistant with a total pool of 14 or two with a pool of 11 each with the second assistant starting on day 5 of the endeavor.

Back to the original question:

Any hermetic mages that are part of the Ash Union want to help me create the formula for a Force 6 Ally Spirit? In recompense, I am willing to assist others in this endeavor on a quid pro quo basis; or other remuneration can be worked out. I do have some skill in Arcana and I am able to quicken the Increase Logic spell as well. Communication via the normal channels is requested so that we may further discuss our various options. Your attention to this matter is highly appreciated. Thank you one and all.

-George
AKA- The Professor