NEWS

AR Hacker Adept

• 11 Replies

Ajax

• Omae
« on: <02-16-19/0016:23> »

"Eats, Shoots, and Leaves."

Name: Yasuki Natsume / PandoCommando / Panda
Concept: Hacker Adept for Neo-Tokyo (Shadowrun: Missions)

Priority
Metatype:    B Dwarf
Attributes:    E 12
Magic:       D Adept w/ Magic 2
Skills:       A 46/10
Resources:    C ¥140,000

Attributes
Body:    3
Agiligy:    3
Reaction:    3
Strength:    3
Willpower:    3
Logic:    6
Intuition:    3
Charisma:    1 (3 w/ Karma)
Edge:    1 (2 w/ Karma)
Magic:    6

Qualities
Quick Config (+5)
Overclocker (+5)
Allergy [Common, Mild] (-10)
Creature of Comfort [Middle] (-10)
Prejudiced [Common, Biased] (-5)

Adept Powers
Improved Reflexes 3       (3.50 PP)
Improved Ability [Hacking] 3    (1.50 PP)
Improved Potential [Mental]    (0.50 PP)
Danger Sense 2          (0.50 PP)

Active Skills
Cybercombat*       6
Electronic Warfare*    6
Hacking*       6
Computer*       4
Hardware*       4
Software*       4
Pistols [Semi-Automatic] 5
Blades [Kenjutsu]    5
Gymnastics       5
Palming       5
Sneaking [Urban]    5
Escape Artist       2
Locksmith       2
Perception       5
Demolitions       5
First Aid       2
Forgery       2

* Skill Group

Weapons & Armor
Armor Jacket
Katana
Colt Agent Special
 > Stick-n-Shock (x10 Rounds)

Commlinks
Renraku Sensei
> Subvocal Mic
> AR Gloves
> Satellite Link
> Trodes

Cyberdeck & Programs
Hermes Chariot Cyberdeck
 > All 7 Common Programs
 > All 19 Hacking Programs

Other Gear
Contacts [Rating 3]
 > Image Link
 > Flare Compensation
 > Vision Magnification
Earbuds [Rating 1]
 > Audio Enhancement [Rating 1]
Electronics Tool Kit
Fake SIN [Akane Tendo; Japanese Citizen; Rating 3]
 > Fake License [Cyberdeck; Rating 3]
 > Fake License [Programs/Software; Rating 3]
 > Fake License [Registered as Adept; Rating 3]
 > Fake License [Possess Katana; Rating 3]
Glasses [Rating 3]
 > Vision Enhancement [Rating 3]

Karma Expenditure
- 5 Karma for additional ¥10,000
-10 Karma to raise CHA 1 to 2
-15 Karma to raise CHA 2 to 3
-10 Karma to raise EDGE 1 to 2

Yasuki Natsume was a young and angry dwarf, sure she's never even set foot on Yomi Island and grew up in a comfortable, middle-class AAA rated corporate enclave... But The Man is always oppressing The People. Shaving off half of her hair and dyeing what remained a color only found in anime, shaking her fists at police drones, and listening to music chosen for the express purpose of pissing off Daddy was just the start. Discovering her knack for computers and the damage that could be made by someone who knew what they were doing began as an act of teenage rebellion... But when she learned just how much money could be made, well, revolutions are expensive man.
« Last Edit: <02-16-19/0219:29> by Ajax »
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-19/0425:28> »
Why improving the mental limit? I would think your limits would be determined more by your deck than attributes.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-16-19/1104:08> »
Not every tech-related test happens in the Matrix.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-19/1107:36> »
Fake SIN [Akane Tendo; Japanese Citizen; Rating 3]

If I were your GM I'd force you to play this character instead of your Gumshoe.  Just because you used this name.

I used a recurring Fuchi Johnson NPC named Nabiki Tendo all the way up until the Corp War, hehe.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

drakir

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-22-19/0530:29> »
Are you aware roughly half of Matrix actions key off Intuition? Like Matrix Search, Matrix perception, Disarming Data Bombs and lots more. And with a Logic of 6, your mental limit is definitely high enough not to need adept boosting.

Get Intuition to 5 by any means necessary. (Intuition will also raise defense, initiative, perception, lots of other active skills and loads of knowledge skills)

Batoussai

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-22-19/0632:49> »
What are you going for by increasing your charisma?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #6 on: <02-22-19/2013:53> »
...Willpower is also important for defending against Matrix attacks like Biofeedback, Blackout, and Hammer.

As to Increasing Charisma, I can understand this as for NT some social grace is important to avoid a nasty faux pas as offending someone in Japan can lead to serious consequences.  However, I notice this character has no social skills, not even Etiquette  (even my Sumo Wrestler Giant has a 3 CHA and Etiquette Skill) so all your social tests will be defaulting to the attribute leaving you with 2 dice to roll (and a good chance of a critical glitch).

You also realise That the Hermes Chariot cna only maintain two programmes running at the same time (4 with Virtual Machine).  Without evne a basic datajack (should opt for the Datajack Plus) or programme carrier with Signal Scurb, the deck will only have it's device rating of 2 for noise reduction, and in NT, the ambient noise level is 2.

I would take a hit on Magic reducing Improved Reflexes to 2 for 1 Essence of augmentations to include the following (you can always initiate to get additional power points):

Rating 3 Datjack Plus with three resident programmes [Biofeedback Filter, Signal Scrub, and Stealth] (total of 3 noise reduction). -0.1
3 Antennae (3 noise Reduction). -0.15
Increase Meylination  (grants one point of natural biofeedback filtering and +1 vs electrical attacks whicj is cumulative with the Nonconductivity armour and Orthoskin Insulation mods [you could be like my character Leela who is a total +9 vs electrical attacks like Tasers/Stun Weapons, Stick & Shock, and Lightning based spells]) -0.1

This leaves 0.65 for other mods like Cerebral Boosters, Orthoskin (with the Insulation Mod), Smartlink, or whatever.

A few other things to consider:

A Vectored Signal Filter (adds another +2 noise reduction)  This with the suggested ware above would give you a total Noise reduction of 10 (2 for the deck, 1 for the Datajack, 2 for Signal Scrub 3 for the Antennae [which could be disguised to look like anything or even be retractable] and 2 for the module).

A Programme Carrier (plus 2 electronic parts to install) with Baby Monitor on it (you always want this active when you are in the matrix to keep track of your GOD score).

+6 Nonconductivity Mod for the Armoured Jacket.

A couple clips of Looper Rounds Rating 6. Nice for getting into an installation without having to actually hack into the external camera system.

I'd swap out the Colt Agent Special for a Browning Ghost (Street Lethal P. 27) as it has better concealability (-3) and built in Smartlink as well as personalised grip (giving it better accuracy [8]).  In NT you want all the concealability you can get for your firearms. The Ghost also has a better range than the Colt Agent (which uses Taser not light pistol ranges).  You can always pick up a more powerful pistol for use when the character is is on a mission outside of Japan (I'd go for a Guardian myself)

I would also consider a better commlink (with a Receiver Dongle which adds +2 noise reduction), particularly if you are slaving other devices to it to avoid using deck slots.  With a rating 6 Commlink you would have an effective rating vs. noise of 8, (11 if you jack into it and use the antennae implant).
« Last Edit: <02-22-19/2021:43> by kyoto kid »
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-24-19/1639:44> »
I’m not sure how to fit all that in. The cost of cyberdecks in SR5 is insane compared to their cost in prior editions. When I started playing Shadowrun the very best ‘deck in the game was the ¥990,000 Farlight Excalibur which was (only just) available at CharGen if you made resources your top priority pick (for a cool million), but if you wanted to be a bit more conservative about it, you could get a decent ‘deck for about ¥300k or even ¥150k.

These days you need to buy a ‘deck, a commlink, programs, and a trunk load of other accessories. Maybe I’m just showing my age, chummer...

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-24-19/1700:07> »
I’m not sure how to fit all that in. The cost of cyberdecks in SR5 is insane compared to their cost in prior editions. When I started playing Shadowrun the very best ‘deck in the game was the ¥990,000 Farlight Excalibur which was (only just) available at CharGen if you made resources your top priority pick (for a cool million), but if you wanted to be a bit more conservative about it, you could get a decent ‘deck for about ¥300k or even ¥150k.

These days you need to buy a ‘deck, a commlink, programs, and a trunk load of other accessories. Maybe I’m just showing my age, chummer...

300k in 2050 money is like 600k now.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <02-24-19/1723:09> »
300k in 2050 money is like 600k now.

Kids today, with their "commlinks," their "ARs," and their "omae." In my day, you had a Pocket Secretary, a wall-mounted trideo, and you were lucky to have it, chummer. An' what's with the music these kids are listening to, eh? It's not music, its drek. Now, Concrete Dreams, that was music!

Also, why's everything gotta be wireless!? I didn't get my left leg chewed off by a cyberdog trying to smuggle three megabytes of hot RAM out of a Fuchi facility in Chiba City just so kids today could store it all wirelessly.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-24-19/2130:01> »
Hacking a Host goes like, step one Hack the Host.  Step two find the thing in the host.  Step Three Hack the Thing in the host.  Step four Do the Thing in the Host (Usually an Edit File or Control Device).  Repeat step Three and Four as necessary. 

A Rating 6 Host will have 15 Dice.  Which means with your dice pool you'll have a 50/50 shot at 3 out of 4 steps.  With 2 Edge you'll not have a lot of "Do-Overs".   

Be aware that a Rating 5 to 7 Host happens about every other Mission.  Direct Access becomes very important when you can't just bash the host with a bag full of dice and edge.  More Sneaking, more Palming, more Climbing are all helpful to get that Direct Access.  And you're a Physical Adept all those are  things you can get.  Wall Running, Hang Time, Agility Boost, Nimble Fingers all very good for those things.  And pick up a Data Tap.

Also to consider, Specialization in Hacking Hosts.  Positive Quality Codeslinger (Hack on the Fly).  Taken together four more dice swings the odds quite far.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-24-19/2214:37> »
Yeah, I'm just gonna stick with my private detective since the GM has given him the green-light. He has pretty decent potential to grow into a decent hacker over time just needs some Karma to start building up the skills and the cash to buy a `deck.