NEWS

Awakened Jungle

• 11 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <01-15-18/1021:08> »
Hi,

I'm preparing my next game which should be focus on a African jungle trip. I've already ready the chapter on Lagos in Feral Cities, but I was wondering if some adventures (or missions) - or even novels, have been released and covers what a trip into the African jungle could look like...

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-15-18/1215:15> »
I only know of one (as I don't read the novels) and that is those adventures on the artifacts (I'm not sure what they are called again) in 4th.  Part of it is in Lagos.  I can't tell more as I'm running through them with a PbP right now, so I'm not reading further.

Of course you can always use non-shadowrun resources.  There are more than enough books, movies, series and what-not out there.  If you want something that looks a bit like a shadowrun, try Congo from Michael Crichton.
non-fiction: things like those survival shows with Bear Grills I sometimes pass by on National Geographic or Discovery can probably give a more realistic feel.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-15-18/1823:44> »
SR2 Predator and Prey had an adventure in the Amazon rain forest. So did SR1 Harlequin.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-16-18/0357:55> »
Well I want to be sure this feel different from Amazonia's jungle, but still good to know. I had no idea the SR1 Harlequin story had a jungle section.

(Sidenote: Black Book, the Shadowrun's France editor has reprinted this Harlequin adventures a few years back, but I still have to come around reading it...)

Thanks for the tip on Dusk. I've browsed the content of Artifacts Unbound, but never came around reading Dusk, so...

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-16-18/0411:29> »
Oh, actually Predator and Prey has an adventure in Africa (Wild Kingdom) ! Cool :)

Mr. Black

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-17-18/2328:48> »
You might try finding a copy of Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick. Peter was a hunter, safari guide and park ranger in Africa for decades. His writings give a good idea of the capabilities of African wildlife, even before they become Awakened. You might also try his books Death in Silent Places (About hunters and adventurers in Africa, India and South America) and Death in a Dark Continent (more on the utter lethality of African wildlife). While the Internet likes to go on about how dangerous Australia is, Africa has been killing Westeners for centuries. Between deadly snakes, crocodiles, packs of carnivores (lions, hyeanas, and fearless, noiseless African Wild Dogs), large aggressive herbivores (I love Capstick’s description of elephants various, personalized ways of killing humans), and the many many diseases, Africa has enough ways to frighten your players. Add in the Awakening and other humans (don’t forget the minefields leftover from the various revolutions!) and your players should be having second thoughts about any jobs in The White Man’s Graveyard...
« Last Edit: <01-17-18/2330:51> by Mr. Black »

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-18-18/0007:12> »
Hell on Water, a relatively recent SR novel by Jason M. Hardy, is set in Lagos but doesn't cover the jungle only the sprawl areas quite deeply.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-18-18/1100:59> »
..., large aggressive herbivores (I love Capstick’s description of elephants various, personalized ways of killing humans), ...

Hippos.  They kill about 500 people per year (lions are about 100/year, dogs at 25000 and mosquitoes at 725000).  When I was in a lodge near Lake Naivasha in Kenia, in the evening we had to be brought back to the room by guards in case there were grazing hippos.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-18-18/1111:03> »
Hippos it is then :)

Sadly, I think my PC are more/less done with Lagos and I have not yet even begin the novel (but I did use most of the infos on Lagos from Feral Cities). I'm more looking for inspiration to do one interesting encounter in the jungle. I don't want to turn that into a full blown expedition, but just one cool, interesting and "feeling different" encounter. Not a random monster roll on a table.

Right now, i'm going to make them land (or crash) nearby an already crashed plan. The crash are caused by a powerful Guardian spirit who considers this part of the land (the Old Oyo National Park for those who likes to google stuff) his territory. I'm planning to use Plant Spirit (his minions) to manifest as living liana trying to grab them.... That's all I have for now, and I find it moderately interesting.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <01-18-18/2110:04> »
Is it wrong that I read you plan and said "YES!!! Reason to bring my flamethrower!!!"??

Especially since I am not at your table :(
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-19-18/0742:03> »
 ;D

Well, you can, but remember that  manifested spirit are Immune to Normal Weapon ;) !

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #11 on: <01-27-18/1640:32> »
Flamethrowers are not Normal Weapons.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.