Catalyst Game Labs > Catalyst's Shadowrun Products

6th Edition in 2019?

<< < (3/35) > >>

Michael Chandra:
I'd rather get errata out and go on for half a decade than deal with the fandom wank that pretends SR5 didn't give a decent shot at solving problems in 4e. A bunch of judgement calls and houserules helped solve areas I was unsatisfied with, and the speed is much better. In SR4 I would never have dared play out a dual-layer combat with fifty participants for a season finale, or butcher their way through an entire Humanis Compound. And I much prefer the SR5 matrix despite them screwing up TMs. Way easier to run with.

Anyway, as mentioned in another topic, it's doubtable they will go for SR6 while NT SRM still runs. I do expect playtesting to start in a few years and I hope that they get at least twice as many playtesters involved as with Anarchy, with a time span of two years.

Jack_Spade:
All in all, 5e is an improvement to previous editions in regard to the elegance of the mechanics and playability. The game is mainly lacking where diligence and attention to detail is concerned. Good ideas are often implemented only half-assed or without someone editing them who actually has read all the other rules texts that came before. And I see no reason why a new edition would change that. If anything it would make things worse.

PMárk:
Well, I'm okay with 5e. I'd like an anniversary edition, because there's always room for mechanical cleanup, but overall, I like most of the edition. I even enjoy the story a lot, Dark Terrors and Forbidden Arcana kept me on edge.

Crimsondude:

--- Quote from: Shadowjack on ---Rumors are circulating that 6th edition is in development.

--- End quote ---
They are wrong.

Beta:
I would much rather see a "5.5", i.e. not a major change of rules but a clean up of smaller issues, a bit of re-balancing, improved presentation, etc.  But I would imagine that the issue for game companies is that core rules and core supplements are apt to be their best sellers (but also probably have the highest production costs).  As in, probably a much higher pick-up rate on Run and Gun than on Street Lethal, on Street Grimoire than on Forbidden Arcana, etc.  I don't know what the net revenue over time chart looks like, but I'm assuming that at some point it starts tailing off, as the rules begin to feel stale, the new supplements seem pretty niche, etc.  No idea what the sweet spot for a refresh on the rules is, but I'm sure it is something that they have to keep in mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version