NEWS

Firefly MMO

• 29 Replies

Crash_00

« Reply #15 on: <04-13-12/2301:38> »
It's not the best system in the world, but it's playable and fairly easy to learn. It feels very similar to savage worlds with a few improvements. It's very much a players tell the story system though. The hardest part to teach will be getting them to understand and use the plot point system (it's a movie and you use the plot points to change the story playing out).

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #16 on: <04-14-12/0331:48> »
It's not the best system in the world, but it's playable and fairly easy to learn. It feels very similar to savage worlds with a few improvements. It's very much a players tell the story system though. The hardest part to teach will be getting them to understand and use the plot point system (it's a movie and you use the plot points to change the story playing out).

Similar to how Fate Points work in FATE-based systems, where you can spend one to declare something about a scene that hasn't been brought up yet?
« Last Edit: <04-14-12/0333:39> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #17 on: <04-14-12/0758:34> »
Pretty similar.

Socinus

• Newb
  • Emerged
« Reply #18 on: <05-11-12/2148:03> »
As much as I'd love to see this happen...I really dont think it will.

The promo clip they have is a middle-finger short of "fuck you" to FOX and the graphics they present in the promo are...a little sad.
http://fireflyuniverseonline.com/game.php

In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society

Characters
Firewall Character Sheet

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #19 on: <05-11-12/2344:57> »
The fact that they'll likely get rofl-stomped into the ground by Fox Legal aside...

What is up with that name? Either use 'Firefly Online' or 'Firefly Universe'. Mashing it all together sounds just stupid.

And yeah, the graphics are just sad.

-k

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-29-12/0957:57> »
Multiverse actually had the official license to do a Friefly MMO, which had been announced years ago. It was supposed to be a 2D browser-based gamer that would ultimately be transformed into a 3D MMO. Upon hearing that last bit, I kind of wrote the project off. After some time, I herard some more news about Multiverse: They had stopped what little work they had done on the Firefly MMOG, so that they could start production on a Buffy the Vampire Slayer MMOG. The new game would start as a 2D browser-based game, and then eventually become a 3D MMO...At that point I pretty much wrote the company off, and unfortunately, their projects. Seems I was correct, as they went under due to lack of financing. The Multiverse Foundation is still hoping to somehow make the Firtefly game. You can find links to the various news articles about it on TenTon Hammer's website http://www.tentonhammer.com/taxonomy/term/221

I would really, really love for someone else to get their hands on the license (and proper funding!), but only if they are going to do it correctly. The last batch didn't have a frikkin' clue what they were doing. Here's to hoping this attempt will actually have a Firefly MMO see the light of day!

Darius

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <07-29-12/1139:22> »
There is a weird message now at the site.  Something about at the request of Fox entertainment, the game formerly known as Firefly universe is undergoing radical transformation to become the most ground-breaking infinite mmo experience.  Whatever that is supposed to mean. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #22 on: <07-29-12/1550:22> »
There is a weird message now at the site.  Something about at the request of Fox entertainment, the game formerly known as Firefly universe is undergoing radical transformation to become the most ground-breaking infinite mmo experience.  Whatever that is supposed to mean.
Bets on if they got a C&D or not?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #23 on: <07-30-12/0223:30> »

No bet. You know they did... despite the fact that Fox killed Firefly deader than dead.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-31-12/0213:11> »

No bet. You know they did... despite the fact that Fox killed Firefly deader than dead.

Fox kills just about any SciFi series they get their hands on (anyone remember Earth 2?), and then continue to act stupidly when presented with ways to make money off the now dead series. A case in point was the Serenity RPG; Fox wouldn't allow them to use the name Firefly, and if I remember correctly, there was also a ban on the game using a lot of things that had been specific to just the show and not the movie.

Darius

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <07-31-12/1055:30> »
Earth 2 was NBC, not Fox. 

The issue with the rpg had to do with licensing.  Fox owns the rights to Firefly (not entirely sure what it all entails.)  Joss Wheedon owns some other rights.  He made Serenity for Universal.  The RPG was licensed from Universal.  It just doesn't make business sense for Fox to allow an RPG to use its property without compensation especially when Universal is making money off of it.  I don't really think it matters for the RPG.

Maybe now that MWP doesn't have the license for Serenity, Fox will allow someone to make a Firefly rpg. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #26 on: <07-31-12/1112:25> »
One of my characters had an Earth 2 signed poster.

Yes, he was that much of a SciFi nerd.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-01-12/0302:31> »
Earth 2 was NBC, not Fox. 

The issue with the rpg had to do with licensing.  Fox owns the rights to Firefly (not entirely sure what it all entails.)  Joss Wheedon owns some other rights.  He made Serenity for Universal.  The RPG was licensed from Universal.  It just doesn't make business sense for Fox to allow an RPG to use its property without compensation especially when Universal is making money off of it.  I don't really think it matters for the RPG.

Maybe now that MWP doesn't have the license for Serenity, Fox will allow someone to make a Firefly rpg.

My bad, NBC was the other network SciFi shows need to avoid.

Fox killed off Firefly, John Doe, Dollhouse, Werewolf, Brimstone, Millineum, Terminator, and also Tru Calling.

NBC killed Earth 2, The Original Star Trek, and The Bionic Woman.

There were other shows that were cancelled by both networks, as well as some others, that I don't ncessary think of as SciFi (though others might): The Tick, Jeremiah, Jericho, The Lone Gunmen, etc. I'm probably forgetting a lot more as well.

As for Fox and compensation, it was my understanding that they were approached and had the chance to do a license deal from MWP, and turned them down. Could be their rivalry with Universal, but they did have the chance to make money off of it.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <08-05-12/2132:48> »
Don't forget NBC also had Knight Rider.
Living the Electronic Dream

Smileinbob

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <08-06-12/0951:32> »
Fox is now getting a remake of sorts of carl sagan's cosmos with Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson hosting and Seth MacFarlane as exec producer...

Will be interesting to see how that goes over..