NEWS

What are you currently readin'?

• 510 Replies

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« on: <03-28-11/1306:05> »
I recently picked up a copy of the SR2 Lone Star Sourcebook. Was sorta wondering just how much the Star has changed since that book came out in '94.

Also was wondering what other posters have been reading Shadowrun or otherwise.
« Last Edit: <03-30-11/1415:32> by Malex »
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-30-11/1732:36> »
The Shadowrun4.com message board.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #2 on: <03-30-11/1832:06> »
lol, dry wit.

I was reading a handful of SR novels I acquired, but am stuck 1/2 way through Black Madonna, nigh-unreadable mess it is...

Have moved on to a Lovecraft collection I have, there is rumor At The Mountains of Madness may be a movie from the guy who did Pan's Labyrinth.
~There is no gravity, the world just sucks.~

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #3 on: <03-30-11/2026:24> »
lol, dry wit.

I was reading a handful of SR novels I acquired, but am stuck 1/2 way through Black Madonna, nigh-unreadable mess it is...

Have moved on to a Lovecraft collection I have, there is rumor At The Mountains of Madness may be a movie from the guy who did Pan's Labyrinth.
Hey the Hellboy creature makers lab would certainly be up to the task for making it happen.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <03-30-11/2040:39> »
I'm giving into my guilty pleasure of reading John Ringo's "Ghost" series...

Or the "Guy kills a lot of bad guys and gets a lot of pussy" series as Mr. Ringo puts it.   :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-31-11/1223:29> »
lol, dry wit.

The best kind!

In all seriousness my reading time is greatly reduced. When I'm not working on something for 'Tech on the train rides in I'm usually reading something for 'Tech. Hopefully once this arc of products gets finished I can read more Shadowrun material. Who knows, maybe I'll even grab DTF over PDF. ^_^
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-31-11/1445:00> »
I'm giving into my guilty pleasure of reading John Ringo's "Ghost" series...

Or the "Guy kills a lot of bad guys and gets a lot of pussy" series as Mr. Ringo puts it.   :P

Just finished Ringo's Last Centurion again recently.

Currently reading Mona Lisa Overdrive in dead tree format, as it's the only part of The Sprawl Trilogy unavailable on my Kindle.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #7 on: <03-31-11/1628:00> »
I just finished WWW: Wake and am moving on to Wise Man's Fear!

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #8 on: <03-31-11/2136:59> »
Currently reading Mona Lisa Overdrive in dead tree format, as it's the only part of The Sprawl Trilogy unavailable on my Kindle.

Dead tree for life.  8)

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #9 on: <03-31-11/2142:18> »
Reminds me of how Rick Remender described his comic book series Fear Agent. "Science fiction has lost its stones".

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #10 on: <03-31-11/2214:33> »
I bounce through books depending on mood, so I usually have a few with scraps of paper lying around... let's see what's in arm's reach...

Currently reading for fun:

Machiavelli's The Prince
Neil Gaiman's book of short stories, "Smoke and Mirrors"
The Monster Book of Zombies, an anthology of zombie stories (if you couldn't figure it out)

Current philosophical readings:

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche
Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu
Leviathan, Thomas Hobbes

RPG related:

Every Shadowrun rulebook
My notes for the upcoming session of my shadowrun campaign
Amethyst Fondations, Goodman Games, DnD 4e
Hunter: The Vigil, White Wolf, nWOD

Recent good books I'd recommend:

The Grand Design, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow
The Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson
Candide, Voltaire

Once I've finished off some of the "fun" reading, I figure on digging into some more sci-fi novels & Dante's The Divine Comedy.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #11 on: <04-20-11/0916:15> »
Dead tree for life.  8)

I used to say that.

You know that 50 pound limit airlines have on checked luggage? Twice I found myself in a situation, on the way to a game convention, where I was unpacking my bags in the airport lobby transferring books to my already-bulging carry-on, to avoid the over-weight check-in penalties. I've nearly thrown out my back picking up my game backpack, and realized that three quarters of the weight in my luggage was game books.

I still have the massive dead tree collection, but the weight (and generally cheaper price) has me buying PDFs far more these days.

-k

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-20-11/1039:00> »
While I've not run into that at an airport I have dealt with that at GenCon. Used to bring the books I thought I'd need. After I'd get home I'd boggle at all the books I never used in games. At this point? My laptop with PDFs. I rarely play, usually working the booth/running logistics. When I do play the last few years it's been BattleTech so I'm solid with the rules. If I do find myself playing something else it's probably a demo.

The upside to this is lighter luggage to move back and forth, as well as having room for more stuff to bring home.
Power corrupts.

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #13 on: <04-20-11/1109:59> »
Just finished:

Sixth World Almanac
Dresden Files RPG
Gatecrashing (Eclipse Phase)

Reading:

Dresden Files Novels (On #8 now)
War
Attitude (pdf)
Pathfinder Inner Sea Guide
1880 Smith & Robards catalog (pdf-Deadlands reloaded)
« Last Edit: <04-20-11/1113:29> by Prime Mover »
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #14 on: <04-20-11/1505:04> »
I still have the massive dead tree collection, but the weight (and generally cheaper price) has me buying PDFs far more these days.

I understand I do. I have a few pdf's, mostly the 'pdf only' stuff that has come out as of late. Though wouldn't even have those if I was still using Adobe (worthless it is! *spits*) I may breakdown and try an e-reader, but there was thread around here saying they are not ideal either...

Also, I'm old school. It's been hard for me to get comfy with 'digital ownership', you know paying for ephemeral 'bits', I like touching what I buy. Just hopped on iPod bandwagon last year!  :P
~~~~~//~~~~~

Kinda fits in the thread;

Was reading Lovecraft (q.v) came a cross a line that made me think SR, good for hicks/anti magic poli's perhaps.

Quote from: H.P.L
"Happy is the town who's wizards are all dust."