NEWS

Alternate SR world(s)

• 6 Replies

Longshot23

• Omae
« on: <02-14-21/0905:12> »
An 'idle' wondering: has anyone played in, or heard of, an SR campaign in which there weren't any metahumans or changelings?

To me it would strip away some of what makes SR its own special sandbox, but there are bound to be other viewpoints.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-14-21/0924:09> »
Without changelings, Pixies, and Metavariants - Yes, for sure.
Without Orks, Dwarfs, Elfs or Trolls - No, not really.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-14-21/0938:05> »
SRs rules are intrinsically tied to the setting.  It's hard to separate the two.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <02-14-21/1050:26> »
Well, there is Cyberpink Red for those that don't want Elves, trolls, or magic in their games...
But that is not Shadowrun...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-14-21/1439:27> »
Longshot,

Like Xenon the limiting of rare things like Pixies (shudder), yes.

Like you stated, the rest is what makes SR.... SR.

Regards,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-19-21/1052:32> »
I'd be perfectly happy playing in a "bare bones" campaign where the GM only wanted to use the core rulebook,* leaving out options like AI, free spirits, changelings, infected, metavariants, and metasapients that appear in supplemental rules. But without metahumans, it ain't Shadowrun.

*I would not be that GM. I can never resist a new sourcebook.

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-14-21/1307:09> »
I mean if I was looking to run a TTRPG game in the setting of say Firefly or, even better, Cowboy Bebop, I could see you using the Shadowrun framework and then slapping some duct tape space rules on top of it. When I first got into Shadowrun I wanted to run it as a cyberpunk western, but that never really worked out.
Shadowrun may not be the dystopia we want but we should be careful that it's not the one we get . . .