NEWS

XBox One!

• 93 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <05-22-13/1957:30> »
Shadowrun: Returns is going to have DRM, CanRay.  There's a whole hubbub about it on their forums.  Only the Kickstart donators can get a special DRM-free version.  I know you said you'll use kickstarter, but I wanted to clarify that the game itself is not DRM-free.
I stated "Excessive DRM".  Like "Always Online" or "Has To Connect Once A Day" and such.

DRM has been around for quite awhile to try and combat pirates, and I know and understand why.  But if it isn't a major pain or forces compulsory things that aren't available to everyone...  Or worse.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <05-23-13/0040:34> »
wants to shoot whoever had the idea of DMR
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <05-23-13/0045:48> »
CD-Keys weren't bad, at least. Of course, then came online key-checks, and on, and on.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #33 on: <05-23-13/0049:01> »
The problem with CD keys was that if you wanted to install a game you hadn't played for a while... it was sometimes tough to find your old key.  Then you have to head to the internet to find one that was shared online.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Mystalya

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <05-23-13/0115:03> »
The problem with CD keys was that if you wanted to install a game you hadn't played for a while... it was sometimes tough to find your old key.  Then you have to head to the internet to find one that was shared online.

It's sometimes possible to pull the keys out of your registry but if you don't know what you're doing...then yeah, don't.

The part I don't get is why they're so eager to piss off retailers...

All they see is dollar signs. They see Gamestop taking some of "their" dollar signs and get mad and try to get their dollar signs back - totally unaware they are punishing the customer.

Companies like EA and Activision are devoid of souls.
« Last Edit: <05-23-13/0117:02> by Mystalya »
Speech
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #35 on: <05-23-13/0449:45> »
I'm talking about playing a game years after having played it the first time.  That usually entails a different pc or a minimum of a wipe between playings.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #36 on: <05-23-13/0609:19> »
Shadowrun: Returns is going to have DRM, CanRay.  There's a whole hubbub about it on their forums.  Only the Kickstart donators can get a special DRM-free version.  I know you said you'll use kickstarter, but I wanted to clarify that the game itself is not DRM-free.
That hubbub died down real quickly after HBS explained in more detail, by the way. There were still a few pissed backers that expressed it in various fraud accusations, but some people simply contacted HBS, asked for a refund, got it and it pretty much went away after that, even the accusations that HBS deliberately lied during the kickstarter campaign and that pretty much every compromise they had to make was legal fraud as well.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #37 on: <05-23-13/0651:44> »
I thought the kickstarter donators were getting a DRM-free version, why would they still be complaining?  It's the rest of us that will be stuck with the DRM.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #38 on: <05-23-13/0738:22> »
If I recall correctly, a few people stated that the fact they wouldn't be able to get future expansions DRM-free meant the DRM-free version was a crippled version of the game, so they felt cheated or frauded. Others stated that they would not have backed if they had known normal buyers would only get a DRM-free version, since they refuse to support any kind of DRM and a game only available on Steam was not a game they were willing to support.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #39 on: <05-23-13/1337:03> »
DRM is a dirty word with a lot of folks, however, there is a reason for it.  I freely admit it.  However, it shouldn't be punishing.  Steam Verification or CD Keys (Even a one-time online verification that can be done by DIAL-UP) is easy enough and not much of a problem, yet can help ensure legitimate sales and copies for the customer without being onerous to them.

Always Online for a single-player game or a Daily "Check-In" to make sure you're using the same machine on the same account (*Cough*X-Box One*Cough*) is a horrible idea and whoever thought of that idea should be kneecapped!

It's just that some folks can't (or won't) tell the difference between the first type and the second.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <05-23-13/1447:48> »
CanRay, in some people's eyes the first and the second are equally distasteful. Sadly, many times I hear the justifications I see people who did not read the EULA that came with their software. "I bought this! I can do with this what I want, when I want, how I want!" Except...you didn't. You bought the license to run the application in a specific manner. I'm not surprised the games finally came around to this manner, the corporate world is chocked full of scenarios exactly like this. Ones with EULAs that are so detailed that (in the case of my employer) every single one goes to our Legal department for digesting and potential negotiation.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <05-23-13/1640:07> »
CanRay, in some people's eyes the first and the second are equally distasteful.

Some people hold that opinion; that does not intrinsically mean that it is a reasonable point of view.

Of course, I generally disagree with DRM in principle due to the fact that it is entirely ineffective at what it is supposed to do, but still.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #43 on: <05-24-13/1856:40> »
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-features-new-xbox-that-are-about-to-ruin-everything/
Awsome, Angelone. I think it means Shadowrun is almost here, if Microsoft is going to have a camera always on us.

Starglyte

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <05-24-13/2124:57> »
With what I heard about Xbox One, I will pass.  My internet connection is really crappy and often times my 360 is what I can play while waiting for the internet to come back up.  Seems that Xbox One won't even give me that option.