Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

AR Hacker?

(1/3) > >>

funkytim:
What is the feasibility of using an RCC instead of a cyberjack for some hacking actions?  Unfortunately my group has had a harder time finding a decker/technomancer than Spinal Tap has finding a drummer.  I understand you would probably not want to get into any matrix combat like this but I think you still might be effective if you could remain undetected. 

Reaver:
The easiest solution may just be an NPC hacker that the team hires on.

This will allow you to control the flow of matrix actions for thematic reasons, while also not having to fiddle with rules and the unforseen consiquences that come from such fiddling...

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
I'd agree that if noone wants to play a hacker, then having hacking taken care of by an NPC is the best thing to do.  This could be an NPC/GMPC, you could be hired by a hacker to be his teammates for a job, or you could have Mr Johnson just group you up with another hacker they've already hired.

On the other hand, I do feel that if you have a rigger, then that character can be your primary matrix support character who defends the other character's gear from hackers.  Mind you a RCC is just fine for defensive matrix overwatch, they're not the greatest for offensive hacking.  Now lots of "hacking" can be done via other means... a security guard can be neutralized by lots of means other than bricking his gun and commlink... a maglock can be picked rather than hacked, and etc.  Without a cyberdeck or a Living Persona, you don't have Attack and Sleaze stats, and without those that means your Matrix Attack Rating is 0.  Virtually anything will be gaining edge when you try to do offensive/hostile things in the Matrix...

funkytim:
Ah yes, the attack and sleaze.  My intention was to use an RCC with a cyberdeck as opposed to a cyberjack with a cyberdeck.  Thanks Stainless.

Thanks Reaver.  That has what we've been doing so far.  The campaign is pretty new the runners don't have the resources or the karma to do anything else yet.

MercilessMing:
I'd say yes, for sure you could combo a cyberdeck and RCC.  You can combine cyberdecks and commlinks according to the example on pg 178, so why not any other device with a D/F.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version