Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

[6e] Edge 6-7

<< < (3/3)

Hobbes:
7 Edge isn't mathematically optimal because humans are either wasting points or short points on Magic because of how the Priority table is set up. 

6 Edge you don't wind up with very often either.  A Mundane would need 5 Adjustment points, which isn't an option on the Priority table.  An Awakened character would probably want 10 (or more) Adjustment Points, so you'd need to be non-human and put in a B to Metatype. 

5 Edge will happen to a lot of Mundane characters, especially Humans.  E Magic ('cause Mundane) and D Metatype for 4 Adjustment points...just going to work out that way a lot.

If you could get a 6 or 7 Edge from the Priority table naturally, I'd agree with Smogg.  7 Edge on a combat character gets lulzy.  But in practice, a 6 or 7 Edge is a significant build goal that will require some (IMO anyway) potentially sub-optimal choices.

Mind you I totally have a theory crafted, Way of the Burnout, Stolen Goods, Physical Adept Gunslinger that does a 4 Edge Boost (Anticipate or Add Edge), for 3 consecutive Major actions, skips a beat, and then has a fourth 4 Edge Boost ready to go on Turn 3 if needed.  But it gives up either Skills or Resources for that trick compared to the same build with 5 Edge, that (when it all clicks) still gets 3 out of 4 Major actions on the first two turns with a 4 Edge Boost.  And seriously, if that doesn't clear the map, you're probably doomed anyway. 

So 6 or 7 Edge isn't, per se, inefficient.  However, the way the Priority table actually falls, makes it something of a compromise for many builds.  Awakened Metahumans with an E resources are the primary exception I can see. 

MercilessMing:

--- Quote --- A Mundane would need 5 Adjustment points, which isn't an option on the Priority table
--- End quote ---
A human mundane would need 5, but C meta is a common enough selection for meta mundanes if they're going A resources or just want the max attributes possible. 

From my 2 yrs experience playing and GM'ing 6e so far, I wouldn't call 6-7 edge a poor choice and I don't think a wasted point of edge here or there makes it suboptimal at all.  The person that does this, primarily, wants big impactful Edge Boosts.  Either they're a creative player who wants to take advantage of the narrative special effect 5-pt action, or they want to use the 4-pt Add Edge to Dice Pool action to make huge amazing rolls as often as possible. 

There are too many factors at play to call this a suboptimal choice, and anyway the whole argument about wasted Edge points is moot if the team has an M-Toc.

--- Quote from: Firing Squad pg. 90 --- one of its primary functions is more abstract in nature: the ability for PCs to use the M-TOC in combat situations to collect Edge above and beyond their limits, store that Edge, and share it among those linked into the network. The number of Edge points that can be stored is equal to the M-TOC’s device rating. This Edge can be stored when a player finds a situation where they earn more Edge than they can keep per the rules. Players can transfer any personal or stored Edge through the M-TOC system via a minor action.
--- End quote ---
And that's 3 edge for Mk 1, 5 for Mk 2, and 7 for Mk 3.

Hobbes:

--- Quote from: MercilessMing on ---
A human mundane would need 5, but C meta is a common enough selection for meta mundanes if they're going A resources or just want the max attributes possible. 

--- End quote ---

A mundane Meta-human?  Crazy talk.  : )

cantrip:

--- Quote from: Hobbes on ---
--- Quote from: MercilessMing on ---

--- End quote ---

A mundane Meta-human?  Crazy talk.  : )

--- End quote ---

LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version