Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

6E - The Priority Table: Open discussion

<< < (14/14)

Xenon:
But you are correct that there is very little reason for an Adept (or Aspected Conjurers) to take anything else than Magic or Resonance priority D (as magic rating is typically always cheaper to increase via metahuman adjustment points).

Then again, as long as you think you can survive on just 2 spells (as well as using spirits! and astral perception and astral projection!) for the first mission you should probably (from a strict min/max karma point of view) go Magic or Resonance priority D as a Full Magician as well (the 6 spells you miss out at chargen will only cost you 30 post chargen karma).

Typically only mystic adepts that should go Magic and Resonance priority A or B (as this give them access to power points during chargen that can only be gained via initiation post chargen).

evileeyore:

--- Quote from: Hobbes on ---Min/Max opportunities are good.
--- End quote ---
I disagree because that "opportunity" is not an opportunity, it's a necessity.

I've seen plenty of disgruntled Players leave a Shadowrun game to never return because of the trap of "not min/maxing" during Priority picks and chargen.

--- Quote from: dezmont on ---Mainly, in SR, most skills are binary pass-fail skills where the fail state actively makes things worse for your team, which are made against target numbers that you can't generally plan ahead for or know about, which are often opaque and not really represented on a non-mechanical level, which can scale infinitely high, and which don't allow you to make choices to reduce the difficulty of the test.
--- End quote ---
And this is the second problem with chargen.  Players who know this, go in with a min/max plan, Players who don't know this often make tragically suboptimal choices then find themselves stymied at every turn.  If they're lucky they can buy up something after 4-5 runs (in older editions, I have no idea now how many sessions it would take to bring a 3 Stat to a 5 now), but they'll always be behind the curve of any PCs who were min/maxed.

That's why I enjoyed point buy in 3e so much, it leveled chargen.

Hobbes:

--- Quote from: evileeyore on ---
--- Quote from: Hobbes on ---Min/Max opportunities are good.
--- End quote ---
I disagree because that "opportunity" is not an opportunity, it's a necessity.

I've seen plenty of disgruntled Players leave a Shadowrun game to never return because of the trap of "not min/maxing" during Priority picks and chargen.

--- Quote from: dezmont on ---Mainly, in SR, most skills are binary pass-fail skills where the fail state actively makes things worse for your team, which are made against target numbers that you can't generally plan ahead for or know about, which are often opaque and not really represented on a non-mechanical level, which can scale infinitely high, and which don't allow you to make choices to reduce the difficulty of the test.
--- End quote ---
And this is the second problem with chargen.  Players who know this, go in with a min/max plan, Players who don't know this often make tragically suboptimal choices then find themselves stymied at every turn.  If they're lucky they can buy up something after 4-5 runs (in older editions, I have no idea now how many sessions it would take to bring a 3 Stat to a 5 now), but they'll always be behind the curve of any PCs who were min/maxed.

That's why I enjoyed point buy in 3e so much, it leveled chargen.

--- End quote ---

Which is why you shouldn't make characters in a vacuum.  Tables should allow mulligans and help out new players.  Have a session zero and give out let players know what kind of opposition they'll be facing.  And GMs should scale difficulty as appropriate.  Additionally it usually doesn't matter if the Face "only" has 11 Dice in Con when the Decker has 18 in Cracking.  The Face isn't taking on Hosts and the Decker isn't negotiating with the Johnson.  PCs should be able to have their spotlight moments in whatever their schtick is without taking anything away from another PC.

But mostly, set expectations, help out other players, let them respec/mulligan if it's not working for them. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version