Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

[6E] Let's (re)create some spells

(1/8) > >>

Aria:
Ok, so the spell design rules are here and I wanted to start a thread to recreate some old favorites from SR5 and possible add some new ones.  Preferably with an eye to some measure of game balance so a sane GM (is there such a thing?) doesn't throw them out instantly...

So, to start off I'll have a go at Powerblade (who doesn't love a lightsabre?)... I've based it on the stone fists spell they use as an example of the build system but replace 'stone' with 'metal' for +1DV and +1drain.  The glowing sword bit is fluff, it could just as easily be a magically created katana...most people would just carry an actual katana but still  ::)

End result: Touch spell, Type P, Duration S, Drain 6 (ouch?!)
Raises 'unarmed combat' to 4P, 5P if agility is 5 or more (yes, not strength, it's a lightsabre) and net hits add +1AR

So is that grossly unbalanced?  The Agi might be a reach for some but the drain is quite high, same as Fireball!

Thoughts?  And let's see what everyone else can come up with  :o ;D

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Here's my take on a couple of perennial Shadowrun favorites:

Urban Renewal, and Turn to Goo!

Urban Renewal (aka Summon Heat Penalties) causes destruction, so probably ought to be classified as a Combat spell.  Although IIRC back in the early editions it was Manipulation?  Whatever.  Damage=Combat spell, by my rationale. 
Ingredients: Area Effect (+1DV), which must included Ranged (+1DV)
Narrow Target (buildings and walls) (-1DV)
Wallop (+1DV) (because we want to do physical damage to walls, not stun them :P
Weaken barrier ratings (+XDV) (because, well, we want to actually KNOCK THOSE WALLS DOWN)

So, without the effect of softening barrier ratings, we're at 3DV for the spell.  Let's go nuts and make the demolitions work rather well and subtract 5 from affected barrier ratings!
End result:

Urban Renewal: Area, Ranged, Type P, Duration I, Drain 8 (lol)  This spell only affects walls and structures. Reduce affected barrier ratings by 5 before applying damage.

and:
Turn to Goo!  This is clearly a sustained manipulation.
Affect Living Things (obviously) +1DV
Petrification (being turned into goo is kind of like being petrified? doesn't make much of a difference, when you look at the petrified status rules) +1DV
Ranged (even though it's free for manipulation, this is clearly an offensive/hostile spell, so pricing it like combat here) +1DV

That adds up to 4 drain.  still not a whole lot for what's essentially "I win".  Probably have to score [BOD] net hits over and above the resistance in order to turn someone into goo.  or you can only sustain the spell for 10-BOD rounds, or something.  Yeah, I like that better.  That way being Turned to Goo isn't automatically death.

Shinobi Killfist:
I'm not sure I could recreate 1/2 the existing spells with those rules.

Aria:

--- Quote from: Shinobi Killfist on ---I'm not sure I could recreate 1/2 the existing spells with those rules.

--- End quote ---
Got any particular favourites we could have a go at?! :)

Shinobi Killfist:
The barrier spells spring to mind as I was looking at those last. Some spells line up perfectly, hey look here is a animate feature. If I wanted to increase a wall structure I think they had something directly of that, but create a wall of force out of tin air, didn't see anything. And honestly I flat out didn't understand the illusions and how those worked with people vs machines. And i saw veil, increase light/shadow, nausea but what if you are going for something like trid phantasm, mask spells. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version