Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

6E car transport

(1/10) > >>

Lethrendis:
Hi, while playing, we didn't agree on the possibility of disconnecting the car from the Matrix. A police car with a driver has become the target of a hacker attack, can the driver disconnect the car so he can drive himself? I assume it's illegal, but is it possible?

Michael Chandra:
A car is a device, so you could turn off the wireless. Whether it's legal depends on where you are.

To quote Rigger 5.0:

--- Quote from: p155 ---Nearly every modern vehicle made in the 2070s has
the ability to be piloted remotely or purely through
its electronic controls as well as its manual/mechanical
controls.
--- End quote ---

If you want the car to still be online but not controllable remotely, you'd need a specific override that will be in the detailed-vehicle-rigger book. But just turning off the wireless, is perfectly possible without that.

Lethrendis:
TY, exactly as I thought.

Shinobi Killfist:
If it was a players car I probably wouldn't push it, especially if its a riggers car. Similarly I would assume a police car might have a higher hacker risk so they might have a easy off switch. But lets say its a stolen car, I'd let them do it but it would require electronics skill or hacking to do so. My assumption is most cars just wouldn't have that as a switch or option, its like your air bag its on unless you take serious action to deactivate it.  And if you were in a town that required something like grid guide I'd increase your handling checks as you are forced to dodge cars that don't see you outside of emergency maneuvering.

Xenon:
Not at books atm but iirc turning off wireless in this edition already require an electronics test.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version