NEWS

(SR 5) Rigger 5

• 434 Replies

mrbunnythehoppy

• Newb
« Reply #360 on: <03-08-16/2347:33> »
Heavy handed moderation normal on the shadowrun boards?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #361 on: <03-09-16/0000:23> »
No, but there's a respect rule that does come up now and then. The core concept is "You can attack teh work, but don't attack the creator" more or less.

Some of us have a thicker skin than others, mind you, but politeness is always appreciated. We're a community of gamers, after all, and we like to be welcoming of people, not dismissive. It's ... hrm. It's like teh XKCD post about today's luck 10,000.

Introducing people to this hobby, teaching them new things, opening new creative windows, be it in mechanical game design, encouraging artists, or just teaching someone who's heard of roleplaying but never seen it before how to throw some dice and get into character. I'll have a love affair with this hobby until I die, and probably for quite a while after that (Seeing as how I've died twice already, long story, look me up at a con sometime and I'll share 'em),

So when someone comes in here with passion, believe me, I get it, I totally do, but rather than go "You're stupid, you don't know what you're doing, I can't believe you'd blah blah blah", if you go in with a plan, laying out where problems are and asking why, rather than tossing insults, you'll get a LOT more responses and a lot more respect. (You in teh general here, obviously, not singling anyone out.)

Everyone makes mistakes; lord knows I do, but the goal is to not repeat them and to always, always, always strive to improve.

Hope this helps!

mrbunnythehoppy

• Newb
« Reply #362 on: <03-09-16/0008:32> »
Seems uncharacteristically intolerant of people's views/opinions for a forum...even a company forum.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #363 on: <03-09-16/0026:55> »
Seems uncharacteristically intolerant of people's views/opinions for a forum...even a company forum.

Dude he literally just said you can criticize the work as much as you want, indeed doing so constructively is highly encouraged! Just lay off the personal insults on the people involved.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #364 on: <03-09-16/0040:10> »

How so? You're allowed to express your opinions quite freely here. All they are asking in return is that posters follow Wheaton's Law: "Don't be a dick." That's one of the things you agreed to when you made an account here. If you look back at the previous page (page 24), Riggerbob laid out a very good post on some of the problems he's found. More importantly, he wasn't being an ass about it: He gave a well thought out list, without personally attacking a writer.

Now compare that with some of the posts that have been complaing, but instead of doing what Riggerbob did, they have attacked writers personally. Things along the lines of "You should quite this job" and worse have been said. Nevermind the fact that it's been stated repeatedly that a lot of the issues are occuring when the product goes from the writers to the higher ups, and that they (Catalyst's management) are aware of the issues, and yet some are still making personal attacks against the writers.

TLDR: You are allowed to express views and opinions all you want, even if they are negative towards SR5; you're not allowed to be a dick about it and attack someone personally.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #365 on: <03-09-16/0427:37> »
@ Wakshaani
I'm totally on your side :) we are very much alike ( well I didn't (yet ) nearly died in a Car Crash but I remember that story of yours
when the  Rigger 4 PDF was introduced , and I'm still a Fan of the Hoverboard ;) )
Also
If I read about bad Rules , the next Copy & Paste Mistake or Fluffstories that don't match with the Rules (like in Market Panic)
 I REALLY don't want to know who wrote those Stories or rules, or who did or did not check for Contigency.
It's hard enough for me that the Rules or the Fluff are faulty.
If I would know who did thid than (conciously or subconsciously) I'd be angry at this person
and this won't help me at all (it just makes me angry )
( I'm a bit disapointed at you because I asked you personally a Question that you never answered....
But since I don't remember the Question or where I posted it  its not important anymore (there Is just this residue of Sadness)
As we say in Germany : Schwamm drüber ( I think  :no hard feelings is the translation) )

He who dances with a Sponge
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #366 on: <03-09-16/0753:27> »
I missed one? Nuts! I try to stay on top of them all, but sometimes I miss one. (I *still* have to lay out some cyberlimb examples from Chrome Flkesh! Finding time is harder than you'd think.)

If you can find it, let me know and I'll take a swing at it!

My apologies.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #367 on: <03-09-16/0804:34> »
Hey Wakshaani, any chance of getting the German rule for cyberlimbs affecting inherent limits if you've got four limbs added to or at least considered for the English errata?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #368 on: <03-09-16/1034:11> »
Hey Wakshaani, any chance of getting the German rule for cyberlimbs affecting inherent limits if you've got four limbs added to or at least considered for the English errata?

Possibly. If not that, then something else similar. I've got some ideas. :)

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #369 on: <03-09-16/1100:30> »
I missed one? Nuts! I try to stay on top of them all, but sometimes I miss one. (I *still* have to lay out some cyberlimb examples from Chrome Flkesh! Finding time is harder than you'd think.)

If you can find it, let me know and I'll take a swing at it!

My apologies.

No Sweat. :)
If I happen to stumble upon it I'll let you know, but I won't search for it activelly .

with a slightly offtopic but necessary Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #370 on: <03-09-16/1110:57> »

Possibly. If not that, then something else similar. I've got some ideas. :)
Hnnnng. Please don't make something that differs from the German edition; I'd honestly you rather just left it alone; there are enough discrepancies between the two already, and I really think that actively adding more is a really Bad Idea (TM).

Ideally, at least in my opinion, the German edition should only be a translation (with or without Errata), not it's own ruleset with unique twists and turns.

Besides, the German rule for cyberlimbs works; if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? :D

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #371 on: <03-09-16/1124:12> »
Yes and no, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I agree that the rules should be just a translation, but, in truth, they're doing some top-notch clean-up work and improving things in several areas, so I'm not inclined to mess with their work at all. So, more power to 'em. Makes me wish that I knew German enough to grab the books myself!

*jealous jealous*

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #372 on: <03-09-16/1428:16> »
Well, I can help you with that:

p.91 Bodyshop (German Chromeflesh)

"REGELN ZU CYBERGLIEDMASSEN
Cyberschädel und -Torsos
Cyberschädel und -Torsos werden zwar auch als "Cybergliedmaßen" klassifiziert, sind aber tatsächlich eher Hüllen als echter Cyberersatz (oder tatsächliche Gliedmaßen). Das heißt, sie haben keine eigene Geschicklichkeits- und Stärkestufe (und benötigen deswegen auch keine entsprechenden Maßanfertigungen bzw. Cybergliedverstärkungen).

Optionale Regel: Körperliches Limit
Falls ein Character alle vier Gliedmaßen durch Cybergliedmaßen ersetzt hat, werden die relevanten Körperlichen Attribute der Cybergliedmaßen (bzw. der jeweilige Durchschnitt, falls ein Attribut bei unterschiedlichen Cybergliedmaßen unterschiedliche Werte hat) zur Berechnung des Körperlichen Limits herangezogen.

Translation:
RULES FOR CYBERLIMBS
Cyber skull and torsos are also called "cyber limbs", but are actually rather hulls than a real cyber replacement (or real limbs). That means, they have no agility or strength rating of their own (and therefore don't need corresponding enhancements or cyber limb augmentation)

Optional rule: Physical Limit
If a character replaces all four limbs with cyber limbs the relevant physical attributes of the cyberlimbs are taken for the calculation of the Physical Limit (or respectively, the corresponding average if one attribute of the different cyber limbs has differing scores)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #373 on: <03-10-16/0924:00> »
^^^ And now Cyberlimbs are worth while, sweet!

Actually, I already new German version of Chrome Flesh had this in there. Can they just translate he German version and we use that? Might make life easier.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #374 on: <03-10-16/2325:50> »
^^^ And now Cyberlimbs are worth while, sweet!

Actually, I already new German version of Chrome Flesh had this in there. Can they just translate he German version and we use that? Might make life easier.

This was brought up not too long ago, and if I remember the word was pretty much "no." Something about having to pay for translation work.