NEWS

(SR 5) Rigger 5

• 434 Replies

Tinkerbell

• Newb
« Reply #180 on: <12-26-15/1757:57> »
Sooo... assuming the stat line of the Horizon Niozquito is correct, and that the Speaker and LED systems don't take up the 1 point of body... seems to me mounting tasers to those things would make the most horrifically annoying swarms in existence.

Exactly what I thought  :)

A swam of 6 Noizquitos with tasers ist much cheaper than a steel lynx and much more powerfull.
Swarm gives them +5 to Attack and a pilot of RCCs device rating (5 in my case = 10 avoidance dices).

When you activate their LEDs its nearly impossible to hit them:
-6 visual distraction (i assume this is the maximum modificator according to the envoirment modificator table)
-3 because of their size
-3 because they are moving at normal their speed of 3 (i guess it would be -6 when they are "running"?)
- other modificators due to distance, wind, sight modificators

Your enemys need at least 6 hits to get them down - except someone throws a grenade - but this would kill any other drone instantly too.

Even when you dont use them for fighting - they are insane, when you have equipped your other drone with ultrasound-sensors, so they aren't affected by the flashing lights.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #181 on: <12-26-15/1811:24> »
Given that Pilot programs are limited to running Autosofts at a Rating equal to or less than their own rating, is there a similar limitation on RCCs?

I.e. do you need a DR or DP or some other attribute at 6 in order to run a Rating 6 autosoft and share it with slaved drones, or can even the scratch-built junk run such a program?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #182 on: <12-26-15/1825:41> »
do you need a DR or DP or some other attribute at 6 in order to run a Rating 6 autosoft and share it with slaved drones, or can even the scratch-built junk run such a program?
I haven't seen it written, so I'd say not.

-6 visual distraction (i assume this is the maximum modificator according to the envoirment modificator table)
Noizquitos don't use the environmental modifier table. They use their own custom penalties; -2 speakers, -2 strobes - cumulative in such a way that three Nqs add up to -12.

Tinkerbell

• Newb
« Reply #183 on: <12-26-15/1916:51> »
Noizquitos don't use the environmental modifier table. They use their own custom penalties; -2 speakers, -2 strobes - cumulative in such a way that three Nqs add up to -12.

;D you are right
By strictly following the RAW like a drones dog brain, this may be true. You can even take it a step further: There is not written that -12 is the limit, it's just the example of what 3 nqs can do. (or is there a general rule stating that a single modificator cant add up to more than 6?)

But I doubt that I will ever find an GM who is seeing it that way.
So im very happy about -6. Which is more than you get by fixing a flashpack onto your drone with duct tape :-)

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #184 on: <12-26-15/1950:36> »
 ::)
Every dog brain has their day.

Flashpaks also use their own custom modifier, not Environmental Modifiers.

In any case, -10 is the maximum EM, as two penalties of the same rank raise the penalty to the next rank. It's one of the things I like about EMs - they're detailed, but applying them is simple. I just wish the writers would use them.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #185 on: <12-27-15/0039:58> »
Given that Pilot programs are limited to running Autosofts at a Rating equal to or less than their own rating, is there a similar limitation on RCCs?

I.e. do you need a DR or DP or some other attribute at 6 in order to run a Rating 6 autosoft and share it with slaved drones, or can even the scratch-built junk run such a program?

The RCC can run Autosofts up to its ... gah. Gonna blank. Processor rating? I do this withouta  book handy, grf.

REGARDLESS, yes, there's a cap of its "processor" rating on Autosofts. That's a broad umbrella rule that you'll see refernced more in the future. (Much like a SKillwire 3 system makes a sad face at your Pistols 5 SKillsoft, so to does an RCC with a rating of 3 frown at your Maneuver 5 Autosoft.)

Unless something specificly calls it out otherwise, that umbrella rule is always in effect. (The RCC allows a drone to break that rule, so a rating 4 Autosoft run by your RCC *does* work for a Pilot 2 Drone, as teh RCC handles the execution of it.) ... software can never be rated higher than the computer running it.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #186 on: <12-27-15/0043:48> »

The RCC can run Autosofts up to its ... gah. Gonna blank. Processor rating? I do this withouta  book handy, grf.

Data Processing?
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

asucrews

• Newb
« Reply #187 on: <12-27-15/0049:59> »
The RCC noise reduction and sharing cannot be higher then the RCC device rating.

I.E.

DR 6 RCC can share 6 autosofts with no noise reduction or share 4 autosofts and have 2 noise reduction.
DR 1 RCC can share 1 program or have 1 noise reduction but not both.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #188 on: <12-27-15/0133:43> »
Wakshaani
That's kind of an important detail that isn't mentioned in any of the books so far. Device Rating cannot be modified, Data Processing can.

Unfortunately, this is yet another limitation on riggers that seems odd, since hackers and decks suffer no such restriction. Of course, hackers don't really have any programs that are affected by the Rating system to begin with...

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #189 on: <12-27-15/1318:59> »
But I doubt that I will ever find an GM who is seeing it that way.
So im very happy about -6. Which is more than you get by fixing a flashpack onto your drone with duct tape :-)
Well, the book specifically mentions -12 for 3 drones, and to all actions. I mean, I'd be content with less as well, but that's whats there.
Personally I'd have preferred drones after the first only granting -1.
Btw, if it's a swarm, how does that work?
Oh, btw, you can also use a hardware mod to turn those into flying grenades. Kinda expensive grenades, though.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Tinkerbell

• Newb
« Reply #190 on: <12-27-15/1344:58> »
Btw, if it's a swarm, how does that work?
Oh, btw, you can also use a hardware mod to turn those into flying grenades. Kinda expensive grenades, though.

As swarm has no effect on the leds and speakers, it's the same like having multiple single drones.
You can add mini weapon mount into body1 drones, this can mount an single shot grenade. (Rigger5.0 p, 124 - and of course it's not described more exactly). I would say that you could drop or even launch this grenade with this weapon mount. This would convert the drone into a very cheap bomber.

Finn

• Newb
« Reply #191 on: <12-27-15/1858:34> »

REGARDLESS, yes, there's a cap of its "processor" rating on Autosofts. That's a broad umbrella rule that you'll see refernced more in the future. (Much like a SKillwire 3 system makes a sad face at your Pistols 5 SKillsoft, so to does an RCC with a rating of 3 frown at your Maneuver 5 Autosoft.)

Unless something specificly calls it out otherwise, that umbrella rule is always in effect. (The RCC allows a drone to break that rule, so a rating 4 Autosoft run by your RCC *does* work for a Pilot 2 Drone, as teh RCC handles the execution of it.) ... software can never be rated higher than the computer running it.

Where is any of that published.
Sorry, I replaced 1/4 of my brain with a VCR, I only speak Rigger now.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #192 on: <12-27-15/1935:44> »

Where is any of that published.
[/quote]

Different places. Chrome Flesh for SKillsofts, Rigger 5 for Autosofts.

The general umbrella rule isn't laid out in print, I don't think, but is a design consideration and, as a general guideline, you should hold it in place for other situations. Computer hardware acts as a cap on software.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #193 on: <12-27-15/2050:22> »
Gaaah.

The problem with that, Wakshaani, is that such an umbrella  rule isn't printed anywhere, or we wouldn't be here asking about it.

Until Rigger 5.0 we didn't have confirmation that Autosofts were restricted by the Pilot rating. And Rigger 5.0 itself makes no mention of the fact that an RCC has a similar limitation, which we still don't know if is Device Rating or Data Processing. I hope you understand how critical the lack of such an umbrealla rule in the core rulebook, not to mention Rigger 5.0 is, as without it people who don't read this forum and this thread in particular, have no idea such a rule even exists!

This is why rulebooks can't be written in a vacuum, and why I think Catalyst seriously needs to work on their consistency. Without that, any aspiring GM has to come up with their own interpretation of an already complex ruleset whose main rulebook is almost 500 pages and that has 6 core rule supplements already...

/rant

Chalk this up for something that desperately needs to be in the FAQ/Errata document for this book.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #194 on: <12-28-15/0325:29> »
Also just realized there was nothing to fix the GLARING weakness of Riggers unable to get effective Sleeze ranking for Run Silent still.

Seriously did you guys just fucking FORGET RCCs even existed or something?
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor