NEWS

(SR 5) Rigger 5

• 434 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <12-03-15/1140:53> »
I'm not so sure about that - you can buy everything but the Banshee at chargen. Granted, you're not really buying anything else, but they're definitely attainable. Now, granted, I would like something like a 8-seater Ares Dragon for about 100k nuyen less (or a 4 seater for 50k nuyen more than the Wasp), but I don't think the aircraft prices are that ridiculous. They're just ridiculous for a single 'runner to own. Which is pretty equivalent to real life.

Except the Wasp, those you can get in generation with Resources A are well above availability restrictions, and even if they weren't you would not have any other vehicle and likely only a PoS RCC. Once in play, there are too many other things you need to focus your cash in to be able to save up enough.

The idea of "ridiculous for a single runner to own" is ludicrous. If someone wants a character with decent (and decently modded) vehicles of each major type (air, water and ground) with enough seating for all of the characters and their gear, they should be able to.

Note- I'm not talking heavily armed with copious amounts of extra armor either. Just a decent seating vehicle of each type with a few (probably around two or three) drones armed with SMGs or rifles.
« Last Edit: <12-03-15/1146:28> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #61 on: <12-03-15/1212:00> »
Except the Wasp, those you can get in generation with Resources A are well above availability restrictions..
Only the Nissan Hound and the GMC Banshee are out of availability.

... and even if they weren't you would not have any other vehicle and likely only a PoS RCC. Once in play, there are too many other things you need to focus your cash in to be able to save up enough.
RCC isn't a requirement for a rigger. In fact, I'd say it's barely useful if you're going to focus on vehicles. It's also easier to save up for than the other items.

The idea of "ridiculous for a single runner to own" is ludicrous. If someone wants a character with decent (and decently modded) vehicles of each major type (air, water and ground) with enough seating for all of the characters and their gear, they should be able to.

Ares Dragon - 355,000
Samuvani Otter - 21,000
GMC Bulldog - 35,000
3x Rigger Interfaces - 3,000
Used Control Rig (R1) - 32,250

446,250 - given In Debt/Born Rich/Karma and you'll definitely have the nuyen to get your basics (about 20,000). You'd probably be able to pick up R1-R3 Reaction Enhancers as well. As for the drones - drones are easy to pick up after the fact. And you can probably squeeze in a Roto Drone with decent armaments and a Fly Spy as well.

EDIT: Also, realize, I'm not disagreeing with your main point. I want a cheaper, decent-seater aircraft capable of VTOL and hovering. I just don't think it's impossible to get one now. You just have to make significant choices to do it.
« Last Edit: <12-03-15/1219:20> by falar »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #62 on: <12-03-15/1219:49> »
You need far more than twenty grand for 'every man' stuff. Heck having one fake SIN (that can be trusted not to burn quickly) with appropriate fake Licenses is going to run rather close to twelve grand by itself before getting any lifestyles.

And, yes, a decent Command Console is a Rigger requirement if you have (or will ever be getting) ANY drones.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <12-03-15/1225:06> »
Nice chopper. I'm just afraid that whatever it's representing will be overpriced all to hell like just about every other aircraft.

Always so negative!

Just be glad you aren't looking at real-world prices for this kind of thing. Tens of millions, or low Billions (with a B!) for a single Milspec vehicle, for instance. As a fer-instance, an Apache Helicopter would set you back around $40 million.

If this particular whirlybird cost *half* that, it'd be a huge comparative bargain, but you couldn't expect any runner team to ever cough up that kind of cash, now could you?

So it probably costs less than $20 million.

So now we enter the Price is Right portion of the thread!

How much would *you* pay for a heavily-armed combat chopper?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <12-03-15/1229:19> »
If it is in the millions at all or in the upper reaches of the hundreds-of-thousands, then it is overpriced within the bounds of the game considering typical rewards.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #65 on: <12-03-15/1233:07> »
And, yes, a decent Command Console is a Rigger requirement if you have (or will ever be getting) ANY drones.
It's also something you can easily pick up after a few runs. Let's assume you do two runs without it and then max out Working for the Man (which most people allow). Then you have the cash for a Maersk Spider, which is a decent enough place to start. Or you can save for two more runs and get a Vulcan Liegelord. It's not unnattainable after chargen.

I still thing 20k is a fine amount to start with. But we're going to have to agree to disagree on that.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #66 on: <12-03-15/1235:36> »
How much would *you* pay for a heavily-armed combat chopper?
I actually found the Nissan Hound pretty fairly priced for that. Drop six seats and I think 375k would be fair.

EDITED TO ADD: I did remake the Hughes Stallion for my group as follows:

This workhorse utility helicopter can be fitted to carry cargo, though it slows the vehicle down. It is traditionally used as a people carrier or light cargo lifter.

Handling:     4   
Speed:     4
Acceleration:      3   
Pilot:    3
Body:    14   
Armor:     8
Sensor:     3   
Seats:   - 7 (1 troll-sized)
Availability:    12   
Price:    175,000
« Last Edit: <12-03-15/1238:55> by falar »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #67 on: <12-03-15/1238:54> »
'Pay' for a combat chopper? What is this 'pay' you speak of? Is it anything like 'steal'? That, I know.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #68 on: <12-03-15/1243:52> »
'Pay' for a combat chopper? What is this 'pay' you speak of? Is it anything like 'steal'? That, I know.
It's the same concept, but you leave a pile of nuyen somewhere to distract them from guarding the chopper.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <12-03-15/1246:00> »
I still thing 20k is a fine amount to start with. But we're going to have to agree to disagree on that.

Rating 4 Fake SIN (this rating needed for reliability) - 10,000
4x Rating 4 Fake Licenses (may need more depending on how the GM runs them) - 1,600
3 months Low lifestyle (probably the minimum you should have for a rigger or decker) - 6,000
Total - 17,600

If you have a real SIN, you'll need a few months of another lifestyle as well (let's go Low for cheapness), so there's another six grand there.

Then you need to worry about other 'every man' stuff like a medical kit, a personal firearm (yet another license you'll need as well) and some good armor at minimum.

Alone, that stuff puts you well over twenty grand.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #70 on: <12-03-15/1246:40> »

Don't forget to put in the special discount code when making your purchase! This week's code is "Kane". :D

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #71 on: <12-03-15/1250:52> »
3 months Low lifestyle (probably the minimum you should have for a rigger or decker) - 6,000
There's our difference of opinion. I never buy more than a month because it's a waste of your limited character creation resources.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #72 on: <12-03-15/1252:59> »
There's our difference of opinion. I never buy more than a month because it's a waste of your limited character creation resources.

Should always get at least three, otherwise the meager cash rewards will further prevent a good amount of saving up for upgrades and getting more stuff later on.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #73 on: <12-03-15/1258:21> »
Should always get at least three, otherwise the meager cash rewards will further prevent a good amount of saving up for upgrades and getting more stuff later on.
Regardless, that's why I mentioned Born Rich and In Debt. Those can easily net you another 150k.

I'm just arguing from the point of "it's possible to get what you described." You have to make some choices about what you're doing, but I feel like it's far from impossible.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <12-03-15/1305:13> »
Impossible, perhaps not, but it's as far from feasible it isn't even funny.