NEWS

Barrens Weaopnry

• 60 Replies

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« on: <09-22-12/1629:37> »
Well, it's been kind of a slow day for me. Nothin' much for me to do, and staring at the tile ceiling gets boring after a while, so in a fit of restlessness, I started to wonder, "Hey, me, how likely is it that people in the barrens of Seattle or in the lawless ruins of Chicago have to make their own weaponry? I somehow doubt that every band of thugs can get their hands on good ol' fashioned sports equipment to bust peoples heads in. 'sides, if there's one area people are endlessly (and depressingly) creative in, its ways to bash their fellows heads in!" Realizing this, I thanked myself for the creative task to focus my attention on, and proceeded to stat out some stuff that low level gangers, the SINless population, or even Shadowrunners may need to use in desperate straits. Well, more desperate ones then usual, anyways.

So as this is my first time statting things up for you guys, don't expect to be amazed or awed by this stuff. It's ment mostly for the random no-name shmucks you folks'll be murdering for various types of jobs that involve squalid living conditions and filthy trashpiles. You know, most of 'em. Feel free to add other ways to ruin someone's day if you like. Ghost knows there's plenty of them.

-----Barrens Melee Weaponry-----

Barrens Axe
Using a footlong length of metal or wood, 4 six inch strips of metal, and a knife or half a sawblade, the Barrens Axe has found widespread use within Seattle’s Redmond barrens, due to the relative ease of making it with cheap or scavenged materials. Utilized by numerous gangs infesting Redmond, as well as the squatters and general population, it’s a regular sight in the numerous acts of mayhem flooding the Knight Errant call centers. Built in varying levels of quality, the best ones are made from cooking knives or saw blades welded onto a foot-long length of gas pipe, but numerous varieties exist, with handles ranging from wooden broom handles to tree branches, and blades created from glass, metal from wrecked cars, and sharpened rocks. A particularly memorable Halloweener gang leutendant had one made from a broken katana scavenged from a battle with the Seattle Yakuza, with the scabbard used as a handle.

Blades
Reach 1
Damage: (STR/2+2)P. Increase or decrease based on Quality.
Armor Penitration: -
Availibility: 3 for the weapon, - for building materials.
Cost: 40 for low quality, 60 for mid, 80 for high.

Descriptive Qualities:
Low: Shoddly made, uses old car metal or sharpened street signs for a blade, handle made from a tree branch or wooden table leg, blade nailed or tied onto handle.
Mid: Decent, blade made from a kitchen knife or sawblade, handle made from a broomstick or rifle barrel, blade bolted onto handle.
High: Well crafted, uses a butcher knife, survival kinfe or even a broken sword blade, handle made from a metal pipe, a length of rebar, or a baseball bat, blade welded onto handle.

Special: due to the weapon’s construction and weight, it cannot be used as a thrown weapon, although certain gangs can make throwing versions. Simply add balanced to the weapon description and add 20 nuyen to the cost of the weapon. However, standard Barrens Axes cannot be retrofitted to become balanced.

Concrete Mace
With a pipe or length of rebar, a wide mouth bottle, and enough concrete, a makeshift mace can be created at exeptionally low cost. While not quite as popular as the Barrens Axe among the local gangs, it can be modified further for better armor penetration by sticking nails, screws, and various other sharp implements before the concrete hardens, which is useful as well for intimidation value. Certain go-gangs have even created a pipe bomb version, designed to penitrate vehicular armor for cargo raids on tractor trailors.

(Standard/Spiked)
Clubs
Reach 1
Damage: (STR/2+2)
Availibility: 2 for the weapon, - for materials.
Cost: 30 nuyen. 40 nuyen for ones with an AP of 1.

(Explosive Version)
Clubs
Reach 1
Damage: (STR/2+2). Secondary explosion: Use IED damage.
Armor Penitration: -1 for the hit, halved by armor for the explosives.
Availibility: 4 for the weapon, 2 for the ammunition used as the explosive material.
Cost: 70 for explosive maces.

Millwall Brick
A Millwall Brick is an improvised weapon made out of a manipulated newspaper folded four or five times and then folded in half again. With more and more sheets stacked and folded inside, the implement becomes harder, and some people also soak the brick in water to add weight or tape the ends together. While actual newspapers are increasingly rare in the sixth world, a few neo-anarchist enclaves may have printed news as a way to get information out to interested people, as well as colleges and third world countries.

Clubs
Reach 0
Damage: (STR/2+1)
Availibility: About the same as an actual college newspaper would be in the sixth world.
Concealibility: -2
Cost: FREE!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <09-22-12/1726:43> »
"I'm going to drop a bug on them!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-22-12/2037:57> »
Someone work up the Bumper Sword from Fallout: New Vegas.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <09-22-12/2339:13> »
Zip guns! Give me a half inch pipe and stuff a 12 gauge shotgun shell in the end and whack it with some kind of pin with 350lbs of pressure. BOOM instant shotgun.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-23-12/0045:52> »
Better yet, get a long staff like section of pipe, attach a pin inside and the shell on the jabbing end, and you've got a shot spear. Jab someone and watch as the round goes off into them.  ;D

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #5 on: <09-23-12/0046:08> »
GH2 had a makeshift revolver. I think it was Arsenal that had a crude blunderbuss.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-23-12/1357:38> »
The Improvised Weapon table is quite handy for Barrens Weapons.

Including Metahuman Body when a Troll gets slotted off enough.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-23-12/1654:38> »

Speaking of that, there are many who wonder whether the adept power 'missile mastery' changes this qualifies as a thrown weapon for the purposes of changing S to P damage.

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-23-12/1724:21> »

Yeah, but to me that just seems like a list of spur of the moment armaments, not anything that someone, even someone desparate, would continue to hang on to after something better comes along.

And regardless of the imrpvised weaponry table, I'm still gonna post some more makeshift bludgeons and shanks. Cause that's I roll! Stubbornly and pointlessly, oblivious to good sense!

Tire Swing Flail

Certain troll gangmembers throughout Seattle's poorer neighborhoods have been fond of this makeshift weapon, citing a particularly memorable character from their youth named "Uncle Evan". Evan 'Uncle' Jacowitz was a paticularly strong Troll who lived near the outskirts of Redmond who had become a sort of Urban Legend due to his constant attempts to help the poor and homeless. Ordained as a Catholic preist, Evan made it his goal to give a home to all the runaway children that would try to excape their lives at home regardless of metatype, giving them a place to stay without the constant threat of parental neglect or abuse, the temptations of easy money through drugs and crime, or worst of all, death through the enevitable turf wars, drug overdoses, or ghoul raids. Many of his wards remember how he was fond of swinging the youngest children on an old Ford-Canada Buffalo tire swing that had been detached from a nearby playground after a turf war had blown it off. After he died from an attack from a group of Humanis thugs, his troll wards created the weapon out of their beloved memories of him. Soon after, a report of a raid on a suspected Humanis Stronghold had been shown on the news, where there were reports of a group of trolls storming into the warehouse weilding large tires with chains attached to them like medival flails.

Exotic Weapon: Tire Flail
Reach 2
Damage: (STR/2+4)
Availibility: 4
Cost: 100 nuyen

Special: due to the weight of this weapon, most metatypes cannot weild this weapon one handed, if at all.

Someone work up the Bumper Sword from Fallout: New Vegas.

Geez, it's always the bumper sword. Youse guys used to be thankful to get a makeshift machete cobbled together from wood, duct tape and a lawnmower blade, and that powersword you got from those outcast fellers was the pinnical o' melee weaponry for youse...

I'll try to stat that thing up, but given what the future of the auto industry could mean for car bumpers and panels, there could be a good chance that that beloved bumper sword might be made mainly out of plastics or fiberglass. I do think that you could make one out of sheet metal or corrogated tin, like the stuff you can find in Home Depot, but I'm just making s--- up as I go, so don't expect me to know things that an expert on automotive manufacturing would know. Hell, I've got problems remembering school in the morning!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <09-23-12/2023:03> »
Geez, it's always the bumper sword. Youse guys used to be thankful to get a makeshift machete cobbled together from wood, duct tape and a lawnmower blade, and that powersword you got from those outcast fellers was the pinnical o' melee weaponry for youse...
Shishkebab?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-23-12/2106:37> »
Shishkebab?

(Daydreams for a moment)

(Halloweeners Gang Headquarters)
"Hey, Nightmare, what're ya makin' this time?"
"Well, Roadrash, I was kind of having a lousy day today. Y'see, I was just talking to our Ancients pal ab...
"You's means the guy who's tried to muscle in on our BTL dist-tra-boo-shun?"
"...Yes. That guy. Anyway, I really had wanted to cut off his limbs inch by excruciating inch, but at the same time I wanted to set him on fire like a torch so we could stake our terratory."
"Hm. Tough call, eh boss?"
"Yes, it was one of the harder ones I've made today. So I was thinking 'How exactly should I murder this impertenant fool of an elf', when I realized, "Why not both?"
"Huh. So is that the reason why you're welding a motorbike throttle to that paper guillotine?"
"Yes, Roadrash. Yes it is."
(Weak voice from the corner) "Does this mean I can live?"
"No."
"(Sperethriel version of Motherfragger)"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, CanRay, there is a Santa Claus. And yes, CanRay, I will stat up a Shishkabab for you folks.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <09-23-12/2328:46> »
Actually, I included Santa Claus in my first book, Safehouses.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #12 on: <09-24-12/0032:33> »
Shishkebab?

(Daydreams for a moment)

(Halloweeners Gang Headquarters)
"Hey, Nightmare, what're ya makin' this time?"
"Well, Roadrash, I was kind of having a lousy day today. Y'see, I was just talking to our Ancients pal ab...
"You's means the guy who's tried to muscle in on our BTL dist-tra-boo-shun?"
"...Yes. That guy. Anyway, I really had wanted to cut off his limbs inch by excruciating inch, but at the same time I wanted to set him on fire like a torch so we could stake our terratory."
"Hm. Tough call, eh boss?"
"Yes, it was one of the harder ones I've made today. So I was thinking 'How exactly should I murder this impertenant fool of an elf', when I realized, "Why not both?"
"Huh. So is that the reason why you're welding a motorbike throttle to that paper guillotine?"
"Yes, Roadrash. Yes it is."
(Weak voice from the corner) "Does this mean I can live?"
"No."
"(Sperethriel version of Motherfragger)"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, CanRay, there is a Santa Claus. And yes, CanRay, I will stat up a Shishkabab for you folks.

Oh, Halloweeners and Ghetto-Tech? you must mean this stuff.......

Been wanting to make stats on these for awhile now, but I'd like to see what you make of them.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

White_Knight

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <09-24-12/0118:31> »
Redneck Katana!

A 3-4 foot piece of Rebar with some heavy tape or something for a handle

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #14 on: <09-24-12/0702:54> »
Ballista.
somebody probably can find an old leaf-spring from a car and some high tensile strength wire.
doubles as grenade launcher and harpoon.
« Last Edit: <09-24-12/0708:36> by Stahlseele »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush