NEWS

Illegal Implants

• 62 Replies

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #30 on: <09-13-10/1023:21> »
What happens if the authorities MAD scan you and find out you have illegal implants like Aluminum Bone Lacing. Do you serve time, pay a fee? Do they remove it, do you get to keep it? Do they just kill you?

Yes, any or all of those.

What works for your story and characters? Can they bribe the authorities? Can they spoof the scanner? Can they Intimidate the guard? Do they fight their way out? Do they go meekly to jail and make a new character?

I had one PC with the bone lacing go through a check point and simply stare at the guard using the MAD scanner and make his intimidate roll.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #31 on: <09-13-10/2336:32> »
When the guy with the scanner gets that alarmed look on his face, it's not the end of the world.

It's time for Negotiations!  ;D

Some choose the bribery or fast talking versions. Others will opt for more aggressive methods.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #32 on: <09-14-10/0553:46> »
If you're running around with bone lacing, you should be so terrifying that a cop wouldn't dream of hassling you without backup from a SWAT-type cyber-hunter squad.  He might hit an alarm and run for his life, but he wouldn't try to arrest you, as that should be suicide.

We are talking here about a piece of cyberware that is a) not visible without a scanner or something like that and b) not even remotely as dangerous as, for example, a gun. Ok, the cop will perhaps need one shot more to kill you, perhaps, and IF he let's you get into reach, your punches are pretty damaging - but a steel rod and a kevler west will do the same. Somehow I think you overestimate the effect of bonelacing a little bit.

I wasn't really referring to the appearance or function of bone lacing and how scary that is.
It was more of a comment on the psychology of a person who wakes up and decides that it's a good idea to undergo massive full body surgery in order to have his bones fused with titanium.
You know, from a character perspective. 
It's a messed up thing that takes a messed up guy to pursue.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #33 on: <09-14-10/0750:50> »
Ummm how about a license that proves I was used as a test subject for a "New" density process... And Muscle Aug & Toner process? What? I was a lab animal in my previous life?
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <09-14-10/2015:25> »
I ended up going with Plastic Bone Lacing. While still illegal, it is not quite so bad. Additionally, I think it will be harder to detect. Especially since it is Alphaware.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <09-14-10/2017:02> »
Both plastic and ceramic bone lacing is harder to detect than the metal lacings.  That doesn't mean a good x-ray scan won't pick it up, just that it needs to be a nicer one.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #36 on: <09-15-10/0150:33> »
Yeah but a beat cop won't have an X-ray.

X-rays and radar and Good cyberscanners are all reserved for Fixed/imbeded locations. those things are big and need power and a good matrix connection. When you need to go past these then worry about it, but as for the beat cop stoping you. Just take regular precations and it'll be fine.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #37 on: <09-15-10/0540:59> »
The Radar Cyberware implant from Augmentation functions as a millimeter wave (cyberware) scanner.

You can fit two of them in a cyberhand.  They run off your bioelectric field.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <09-15-10/0543:26> »
Yes, they are quite small.  But, again, the scanner needs to be pretty good to pick up the plastic or ceramic lacings.  Especially the plastic, as polymers can be made to mimic living tissues quite easily.  The portable ones may not have the horsepower to do it, but the fixed ones definately would.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

rockstar

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <09-15-10/0644:09> »
Its not just bone lacing we're talking about, that was an example. Tailored pheramones would have the same probs. As for your medical reasons; bone density augmentation is a far more likely treatment for brittle bone,as a thats legalish and b the medical corp which caried out the treatment can get more money out of you.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #40 on: <09-19-10/0550:42> »
Yes, they are quite small.  But, again, the scanner needs to be pretty good to pick up the plastic or ceramic lacings.  Especially the plastic, as polymers can be made to mimic living tissues quite easily.  The portable ones may not have the horsepower to do it, but the fixed ones definately would.

Talking sensibly, definitely.  The rules aren't sensible, though. 
RAW lists cyberware by grade for identification purposes, regardless of composition.
And your MAD proof-ceramic gun only takes one hit on a cyberware scanner to find.
It's dumb.

Which is why house rules become necessary to keep forbidden ware in the game.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #41 on: <09-19-10/0845:22> »
Yeah. One scan and I'll need a new character or a new soul, depending on who (if anyone) bails me out! ::)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #42 on: <09-19-10/1309:47> »
Security chief interrogating recently captured Street Samurai: "So, you like cyberware do you? My superiors have an offer for you..."

Deliciously evil grin follows.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #43 on: <09-19-10/1318:35> »
Security chief interrogating recently captured Street Samurai: "So, you like cyberware do you? My superiors have an offer for you..."

Deliciously evil grin follows.
yeah... something like that. it'll take weeks to get the heeby jeebys off!

redTroll

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <09-05-11/0600:43> »
Bone lacing cannot be picked up on MAD scanners. Plastic is obvious but Aluminium is not a ferrous metal like steel or iron, i don't think Titanium is either. A cyber scanner will pick it up though. Check page 262 in the core rulebook. Just back to shadowrun after a long time out but info for stuff seems to be spread all over the place! A metal needs to be ferrous to create a magnetic field, hope this helps. (Of course your GM may just put cyber scanners everywhere instead of MAD's)