NEWS

Illegal Implants

• 62 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-12-10/1043:54> »
Military and police types are likely the ones licensed to use them.  It's kinda that old saw, if you walk down the street in a bullet-proof vest in real life, the cops are going to assume you are there to cause trouble.  In this case, having bones that will shatter a normal person's skull indicates that you not only expect trouble, you expect to be a part of it.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <09-12-10/1213:54> »
Umm... Guys? The most "obvious" reason for bone lacing?

"I'm a retired combat biker/urban brawler/football player and I didn't like to get my bones broken."

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <09-12-10/1225:10> »
A good reason among over, yes, as the medical reason "my bones are too weak", but whatever the reason you give is, it's still "F" rated.
I understand a "F" rate for a HMG, since it's not somethin you're supposed to carry out of some specific areas, but cyberware isn't somethin you can leave in cloakroom once your job is done.
Licences may be harder to forge for F rated gear, but it shouldn't be impossible.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-12-10/1236:34> »
RAW is, that licenses can only be obtained for restricted items or activities. It especially states, that F items may never be carried, etc. by a private person, meaning that you would have some special cover story (which probably will be checked more thoroughly). Just waving a licence will not be enough, as there simply is no license for carrying an F-rated gear.

Example: No matter what you do, a private person will never be allowed to carry a loaded rocket launcher around. You can't simply wave a license around. You will have to convince the person checking that you are, at the moment, part of a military or corporate high threat response team or something like that. And this won't be easy when standing alone in downtown :-)
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <09-12-10/1244:40> »
Yeah, well, you're right, but then I don't understand why bone lacing has the same rating than a rocket launcher.
As said before, you can be allowed to shoot with a rocket launcher, maybe you're a soldier, maybe you just do test for military research, or somethin like that, you can leave your rocket launcher at work and you've got no reason carrying it in downtown. But you can't leave cyberware at work. Then can't soldiers go downtown ?
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #20 on: <09-12-10/1250:39> »
Another medical reason for bone lacing Osteogenesis Imperfecta (Brittle Bones disease).

I agree, it still would require a license, but if you have this built into your fake SIN, then they might not look as hard at the license.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-12-10/1253:07> »
As I said, I simpy agree with anotherJack: I cannot see why Bone Lacing should be F :-) Trying to maneuver around the problem by claiming that such a cyberware is the apropriate treatment for an illness isn't the best way to deal with it, imho.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <09-12-10/1335:07> »
As I said, I simpy agree with anotherJack: I cannot see why Bone Lacing should be F :-) Trying to maneuver around the problem by claiming that such a cyberware is the apropriate treatment for an illness isn't the best way to deal with it, imho.

Agreed. Seems like a mistake to me, too.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-12-10/1618:33> »
Since bone lacing isn't easily visible on easy way around it is don't put yourself into a position to be MAD scanned. Does the MAD come back with he has cyberware or does it tell the user of it he has this exact implant.

If it only says bone lacing for example get a license for the R plastic lacing and play it off as that
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-12-10/1635:52> »
MAD doesn't scan for cyberware, we're talking about cyberware-scanners here. Reach the threshold and it tells you, that there's something on the bones. Get more hits than the threshold and it will tell you, what is probably on the bones.

And as Plastic is also F, your idea doesn't work (with RAW), sorry.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <09-13-10/0031:36> »
I'd really like to see how a cyberware scanner is able to not only pick up, but identify a bunch of PLASTIC crafted to the skeletal structure ;D
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-13-10/0039:41> »
Hm, Shadowrun was never realistic, but I can imagine that scanning the density (and other factors) of the human body and comparing it to how it SHOULD be is the way to go for it.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #27 on: <09-13-10/0432:30> »
just solve it by going the the Runners Companion, flip to page 35 and use the items there. Just keep a Single use MAD jammer with you for the occasional cop stop and if you have to go thru a standing scanner use the anti MAD nanites.
     (Not that it will do any good. IMO if they have standing MADs they will have cyber scanners and Radar scanners) ((OTOH regualer jammers will get you past those..... So yeah, I guess yer good.))
Or if you have cyber limbs use the MDS subdermal sheath.
     MADs really arent that bad, they just detect metal, not what kind or what it is. Also remember Alpha, Beta and Delta up the threshold for scanners to. And that's ALL scanners not just MADs.

Massive Cyber junkie here. I've gone thru all this MANY many times.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #28 on: <09-13-10/0909:27> »
What's really fun is when you have obvious cyber and you use jammers to hide the non-obvious stuff. Nothing like walking through a scanner with chrome cyberarms and the scanner tells the operator that it's a normal person. ;D

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <09-13-10/0913:59> »
Yeah, the cops will surely have a great laugh.