NEWS

[IC] This just in...

• 25 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <04-19-11/0054:37> »
This thread is meant to post in-world news reports of what's going on in your runs. Think of it as the Notoriety of your runners' on display. As such, post should either be the news stories themselves, or Shadowland/Jackpoint posts in response to the stories.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <04-19-11/0114:29> »
Explosion, deadly battle occurs at local business near Redmond Barrens +++ Stock prices jump in anticipation of Damien Knight's visit to Seattle next week +++ Reports of strange lights over Renraku's arcology dismissed as "ridiculous gossip" by board of directors +++

"This is Susie Wong, reporting for KSAF at a local Stuffer Shack that has been the target of a gangland attack on the outskirts of the Redmond Barrens. Witnesses say that shortly after 1:30 AM last night, a group of armed robbers blew up a car at the front of the store, then proceeded to try and rob the place."

<cut to video of a acned-scarred, skinny teenager>

"I didn't see much after the explosion, since it knocked me back into the cigarettes, but these fu<bleep>n' a<bleep>les totally wrecked the place for no good reason, I mean I wasn't even supposed to be he-"

<cut back to Susie>

"The individuals met an untimely end, however, as it appears another gang was already in the store, and opened fire on the would-be robbers. Not much is known of the vigilantes, but officials claimed they looked like they had military or guerilla training, and, from what they could piece together of the mangled security video, they worked as a cohesive force."

<cut to a chubby dwarf girl with heavy makeup>

"It was so cool! After the explosion, I thought for sure we were goners, but then BANG! BOOM! SLICE! and those jerkwads were totally wasted!"

<cut to a nervous looking man, apparently covered in tooti-frooti frozen soygurt>

"I tried to get the robbers to calm down and leave peacefully, but these idiotic vigilantes just tore up the place, shooting everything in sight, without a care for any innocent bystanders!"

<cut to a young mother holding her son>

"I don't know who they were, but they saved my life and the life of my son. If any of them may be watching, thank you."

<cut back to tape of a Stuffer Shack with the front wall missing, and flicking lights on the inside>

"As you can see, the building was heavily damaged in this gang war, and the owner claims it will take months to rebuild and reopen the store that has been a community standard for decades."

<cut back to Susie>

"This has been Susie Wong reporting live on location for KSAF-TV."

Outrider45

« Reply #2 on: <04-19-11/2000:03> »
8-BiT here: those complete choads ruined a good game of SMG in the simsense arcade. I'm going to look into who sent them after that woman and see how much their hides are worth to the squeal-squads or the feds. Moral of the story is never get between a hacker and his videogames.
« Last Edit: <04-19-11/2001:54> by Outrider45 »

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #3 on: <05-04-11/2055:39> »
*Redirected from "Gone South"*

<Exterior Shot, Carlos “Chuck” Pesina, Location: CAS/Aztlan Border>

<Begin Audio: Chuck> Attack on San Antonio?  That’s what officials and border watchers are saying began four hours ago. This is Chuck Pesina near “the border”, live for Independent News Services. Details are sketchy, but several credible sources of mine inside the city of San Antonio have told me that the city went on high alert and that several Aztlan security forces were scrambled, including several “reactionary teams” which ventured out in several directions to the north, east, and south of the city, apparently to counter some kind of massive attack against San Antonio. This comes after several days of para-military forces gathering along the CAS/Aztlan boarder. These forces….

<Cut to: two Aztlan attack helos flying past, slowing with gun turrets swiveling before turning direction, gaining speed, and moving off to the west>

<Begin Audio: Chuck> Wow, that was close…*ahem* These forces, which have been reported to include scores of troops and various transport and or assault vehicles have been conducting various sorties along the boarder from several scattered staging areas, possibly in preparation for today’s assault.  It is unknown if they are CAS forces, aligned with CAS forces, or even possibly Amazonian forces. What has been confirmed is that approximately four hours ago, these staging areas were cleared, with all aircraft and personnel departing, their current locations are unknown.

So far there is no official word from…

*SOUND OF EXPLOSION*

<Audio: several explosions in the distance>

<Begin Audio: Chuck> What in the hell?! Gordon, get the camera over there now, I think that….

<Camera pans west, cut to: unidentified aircraft, passing overhead at high rate of speed, camera unable to focus as craft go overhead at low altitude>

<Begin Audio: Chuck> Gordon, did you get that? DID YOU GET THAT???

<Audio, background> CHUCK GET DOWN!!!

*SOUND OF EXPLOSION*

<Camera Angle wide: unknown ordinance fired from Aztlan helo before it explodes, several drones can be seen in shot, ordinance detonates off camera>

<Transmission interrupted>

<Resume Transmission: close-up, Chuck, holding bloody rag against forehead and eye>

<Begin Audio: Chuck> This is Chuck Pesina again, we had…a...It appears we got in the middle of someone’s hasty exit. We’re all OK, mostly, my crew and I, but I think it’s best we vacate the immediate area for now. More when we know it, I doubt this is over yet. This is Chuck Pesina, for Independent News Services, signing off.

<End Transmission>
« Last Edit: <05-06-11/1413:35> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #4 on: <05-06-11/1419:22> »
*Redirected from "Gone South"*

<Exterior Shot, wide angle Carlos “Chuck” Pesina, Location: CAS/Aztlan Border>

<Begin Audio: Chuck>This is Chuck Pesina, once again on “the border”. Two days ago, the city of San Antonio went on full alert, apparently in response to an attack by unknown paramilitary forces. Security forces stationed in the city were scrambled, and even this reporter became directly involved.

<Cut to: Stock footage: Dogfight between Aztlan forces and unknown forces, unknown aircraft passing over head then wide angle of helo exploding> Reports have finally begun to come in through official channels and according to an official statement from the government of Aztlan, there was no attack on the City of San Antonio. Yes, you heard me correctly folks, there WAS no attack on San-An. My personal sources within the city along with satellite photos obtained from CAS government sources confirm that there are no indications of damage or fighting within the city!

<Cut to: Satellite image of San Antonio>

<Audio overlay: Chuck, graphics highlighting>As you can see, there are indications of the security forces that were deployed, but again no sign of any kind of combat operations within city limits. According to their official statement; the Aztlan security forces stationed in San Antonio were part of a “readiness drill and feasibility study” designed to test the readiness of Aztlan security forces in response to what they called “the continued possibility of Confederate hostilities”.

<Begin Audio, camera close up: Chuck>The only reported damage to the area occurred at a private residence about ten kilometers outside of the city limits when an Aztlan patrol aircraft experienced a catastrophic malfunction and crashed into the residence, killing the crew, and completely destroyed the empty building.

So what exactly happened and where did all those massed para-military forces go? Speculation ranges from a botched CAS assault to a joint CAS/Amazonian operation aimed to take back San Antonio and a failed experiment and subsequent cover-up by Aztechnology. Whatever the reason, no one from Aztlan is knows, or is saying.

Reporting live, on “the border”, I’m Chuck Pesina.

<end transmission>
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #5 on: <05-23-11/2124:58> »
WAHOO!!!, Tank Girl here, that makes it TG 8 Azzies ZERO Ha ha. I swear those fraggers never knew what hit them. Oh and readiness drill "accidental crash" "malfunction" my electronic but, I swatted those birds good. Don't listen to what the Azzies say, they lie about what they had for breakfast, and i know what they had the poor bastards, i was watching the entire time they were eating.
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #6 on: <06-04-11/0157:56> »
An Urban Brawl feud spilled onto the Redmond Way overpass today during peak traffic on Seattle's highway 520.  While Seattle's own enigmatic star heavy, Der Kompressor was driving into touristville on his signature motorcycle, the massive CATAPULT (Computer Assisted Troll Assault Personal Utility Land Transport,) long-time rival and noted Banger for the Cleveland Chaos Desmond "Foggy" Smith repelled down onto a delivery vehicle in front of him and began firing on him with a submachine gun.  Der Kompressor responded by accelerating his bike into the back of the delivery truck, slicing it in half all the way up to the driver's compartment.  Foggy managed to jump free before the mangled truck began to cartwheel down the highway, eventually coming to rest straddling the railings.  Foggy continued to fire on Der Kompressor until he was out of bullets, at which point the unfazed Troll grabbed the smaller Fomori gunner, Foggy, and managed to subdue him with the aid of some security-minded citizens.  It's unclear what might have provoked such an altercation, but Der Kompressor is wanted for questioning regarding the destruction of the vehicle.  When questioned, his lawyers said the dangers to his person were too high for him to remain at the scene of the accident.

Vendetta Violent

• Newb
  • Shaman & Rockstar
« Reply #7 on: <02-01-14/1542:29> »
ARCHIVE

Newsnet, Inc: "Legendary Rocker, Taylor Hardline, Dead at 63"
It has been confirmed that Taylor Hardline was pronounced dead by Docwagon representatives at 7:36 P.M, just hours before he was to commence his sold-out show in Seattle.  Many details have yet to be confirmed at this time.  There are rumours that Mr. Hardline was murdered backstage, but Knights Errant investigators are telling us at Newsnet that it is too early to determine exactly what happened.  However, we have interviewed several witnesses from the scene, and what they reported to us seems to confirm the theory, that Mr. Hardline was in fact murdered:

Selma Joyce, 23: "I had just finished preparing a platter of...various delicacies...for Mr. Hardline and his bodyguards when I saw a strange man walking around backstage.  I went to ask who he was, but it was like he just disappeared."

Romo Dorien, 38: "I was here on behalf of Riot Blue, acting as their security, and I can tell you that no one came or left through the back doors of the venue.  I would also like to point out that my employers, Riot Blue, were unharmed."

Nicky Valentine, 19: "I was backstage because I was told there would be all sorts of wild drek happenin there, when I saw a few dead trolls lying around.  I thought to myself something like this: 'Self, this is deep drek, you gotta preserve that sweet ass of yours... so I took off through the front gates of the venue like a flash."

After the show was cancelled, thousands of fans waiting outside the Psychedelic Pirate vented their frustration through some small-scale rioting and looting in the surrounding area.  Knights Errant reports that there were some injuries sustained by citizens caught in the middle of this violence.  EVO has announced that all credits will be refunded to all citizens with a valid S.I.N. by contacting EVO with their commlink information.  Newsnet will provide additional details as they become available.   

>>>>>[ Wiz. Don't know who thought it'd be a thrill to surface this article. Look, I've been over this. The guy who got Hardline was the kind of guy who could snap a troll over his knee and who walks more quiet then a ghost. Us? We were just trying to make it. That gig cost me my shot at the big time. It wasn't Riot Blue. ]<<<<<
     -- Vendetta Violent (03:42:51/02-01-76)
« Last Edit: <02-01-14/1547:17> by Vendetta Violent »

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #8 on: <02-28-14/1303:58> »
>>>>>[ What the frag?!?!?!  Taylor Hardline is dead?!?!?!  Man, I remember when he first came on the scene.  He really kicked hoop on stage back then.  Hey, Vendetta, you need some help fragging this slitch, drop me a line. ]<<<<<
     --Nightmare (12:03:45/02-28-76)

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <04-28-14/1342:41> »
+++Ancients steal prototype weaponry in Tacoma, Warehouse security questioned+++"Heaven's Gate" Hospital under a terrorist attack, over dozen dead or missing+++Investigation of the recently vanished GreenEarth water purification facility postponed+++
The area behind the reporter is full of debris, firefighters and police officers.

"Tom, I'm standing outside the Heaven's Gate hospital In Downtown Seattle. an hour ago a small aircraft, believed to be an Artemis Nightsky hit the face of the building and exploded."

The camera zooms away from the rather sheepish looking human man and moves up, zooming in on the uppermost floors of the massive skyscraper. There's a smoking hole in the wall of the building, along with cracks, spider webbing, surface damage and missing windows in a fifty meter radius on the outer wall.

"This does not seem to be a regular flight accident. The craft was did not take off on any airport legally. The craft was apparently unmanned and rigger-controlled. The resulting explosion caused by this collision shows that the plane was filled with explosives."

The camera focuses back onto the man. A pair of paramedics are patching up someone's arm on the background.

"The explosion reached deep inside the administrative offices and magical research sections of the hospital. Along with the loss of atleast a dozen employees and atleast a hundred injured, the repairs will be atleast a million nuyen according to experts. Thankfully the attack was aimed at the uppermost floors instead of the main hospital floors."

"According to a statement issued directly after the event, the man in charge of the Hospital, Damon Akroyd, had this to say."

a smaller window pops up in the upper right corner of the camera and quickly zooms up to fill the whole screen, showing a somewhat overweight, bald human man. His face is red and his mouth is open in an angry shout as the sound comes on.

"-A DELIBERATE ATTACK ON ME, MY HOSPITAL, AZTECHNOLOGY AND THE AZTLAN NATION! I WILL SPARE NO EXPENSE IN HUNTING DOWN THESE TERRORISTS AND GIVING THEM THE JUSTICE THEY DESERVE, MARK MY WORDS. AND-"

The video disappears to show us the bland-looking human.

"No organization has come forward to take responsibility of this event and it is assumed to be caused by Shadowrunners. The event has caused a stir in demands of more airspace surveillance over Seattle. Back to you, Tom."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <04-28-14/1945:28> »
>>>>>[ Someone tried to take out the son of a slitch Akroyd? Nice. I don't know anyone who deserves it more. ]<<<<<
     --Mercedes (18:41:40/04-28-76)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #11 on: <04-29-14/0355:21> »
>>>>>[ Ignore Akroyd's patented Manic Paranoia® turned up to 11 and scan back a bit, Mercedes.  Someone let something slip - probably somebody who wasn't supposed to be talking to the press - and ol' DA is trying to cover it up, make it look like a shot at him.
          Hospitals don't have magical research sections. ]<<<<<
          -- The Wyrm Ouroboros (04:00:00/00-22-4679)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Leevizer

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <04-29-14/0749:21> »
>>>>>[This was not an assassination attempt. They would have used a larger plane or more explosives. This is a distraction. A bad one. Killing him would have been subtle. Or direct.]<<<<<
     --Shade (14:47:40/04-29-76)

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #13 on: <04-29-14/2057:49> »
>>>>>[ Direct, that bastitch has to much blood on his hands for him to die quietly. ]<<<<<

Wolfgar--(19:56:32-04-29-76)
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-02-14/0929:34> »
>>>>>[ Normal hospitals don't have magical research departments, but university hospitals do (I know someone working in magical research for medicine.  I don't know this guy, but you don't become a hospital director in Azzie land without being involved in some questionable practices.  I've seen some results of Azzie medical 'research' back in the day I was just a green merc on a tour in the Yucatan.  ]<<<<<

Kitten--(15:28:32/05-02-2076)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"