NEWS

[SR6] Edition Poll

• 92 Replies

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <08-06-19/0316:52> »
I'm officially and permanently at Hell No having seen the book now.

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #31 on: <08-08-19/1405:16> »
I'm in the process of reading through CRB6, and it's pretty meh. Here's a few things I have so far:

- Status effects look really fun on paper, when they stack up on other people (e.g. Dazed and Confused, Wet and Zapped).
- They stripped down a lot of options that were already well developed (e.g. races, qualities, archetypes) and didn't need to be stripped down.
- The combat system is "streamlined", but not any faster. You're just trading initiative passes for more combat rounds, which amounts to no net savings on time.
- Attack Rating and Defense Rating are abstracted qualities that don't feel like they contribute to the game (gaining one edge in a system where augs and qualities already consistently get you more for the same actions).
- Edge reaching across the table. This is hot garbage. My luck should have no ability to actively mess with my opponent's dice pools.
- Gear availability. At chargen, you are limited to availability 7(I). This is almost everything in the gear section. A Decker can start with a rating 6 CyberJack and the second-best Cyberdeck in the game. A Street Sam can have Wired Reflexes 3 (maybe 4) out of chargen. This really makes playing for advancement less relevant. One the plus side, it makes one-shot runs more fun.
- Riggers. Instead of listening to players about the insane costs of being a rigger, they made control rigs MORE expensive and LESS useful. So hopefully other players will buy the Rigger their vehicles, because they won't be able to afford them.

I'll have more as I read more, but unless there is a lot of good stuff I missed, I'll probably be selling off the CRB6 I got from GenCon.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #32 on: <08-08-19/1411:33> »
I'm in the process of reading through CRB6, and it's pretty meh. Here's a few things I have so far:

- Status effects look really fun on paper, when they stack up on other people (e.g. Dazed and Confused, Wet and Zapped).
- They stripped down a lot of options that were already well developed (e.g. races, qualities, archetypes) and didn't need to be stripped down.
- The combat system is "streamlined", but not any faster. You're just trading initiative passes for more combat rounds, which amounts to no net savings on time.
- Attack Rating and Defense Rating are abstracted qualities that don't feel like they contribute to the game (gaining one edge in a system where augs and qualities already consistently get you more for the same actions).
- Edge reaching across the table. This is hot garbage. My luck should have no ability to actively mess with my opponent's dice pools.
- Gear availability. At chargen, you are limited to availability 7(I). This is almost everything in the gear section. A Decker can start with a rating 6 CyberJack and the second-best Cyberdeck in the game. A Street Sam can have Wired Reflexes 3 (maybe 4) out of chargen. This really makes playing for advancement less relevant. One the plus side, it makes one-shot runs more fun.
- Riggers. Instead of listening to players about the insane costs of being a rigger, they made control rigs MORE expensive and LESS useful. So hopefully other players will buy the Rigger their vehicles, because they won't be able to afford them.

I'll have more as I read more, but unless there is a lot of good stuff I missed, I'll probably be selling off the CRB6 I got from GenCon.
PM me if you're serious about selling.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #33 on: <08-08-19/1413:23> »
The streamlining is not in that you have less passes but in less paperwork. Easier to handle bonuses, no constant -10 and -5 you have to process. As someone who's actually played it, I can confirm that it DOES save time. Utter newbies took two entire rounds of learning time and then they knew exactly what they were doing.

Edge isn't luck anymore. They were very clear about that. No idea why you'd claim otherwise.

They were very clear why they did that chargen restriction on gear. Opening the toolbox they called it in the very first SR6 interview. Again, no idea why you're acting surprised after they have been publicly open about it from the very start.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

[evo]

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <08-09-19/1428:04> »
I will stay on Anarchy.

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #35 on: <08-09-19/1543:24> »
I'll stay with the plot but stay far away from 6E's rules after reading the corebook....that thing is a mess.

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <08-09-19/1546:45> »
The streamlining is not in that you have less passes but in less paperwork. Easier to handle bonuses, no constant -10 and -5 you have to process. As someone who's actually played it, I can confirm that it DOES save time. Utter newbies took two entire rounds of learning time and then they knew exactly what they were doing.

Edge isn't luck anymore. They were very clear about that. No idea why you'd claim otherwise.

They were very clear why they did that chargen restriction on gear. Opening the toolbox they called it in the very first SR6 interview. Again, no idea why you're acting surprised after they have been publicly open about it from the very start.

Its simple
Saying what your doing is "awkward and stupid" Doesn't make it any less "awkward and stupid"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #37 on: <08-09-19/1613:51> »
I'll stay with the plot but stay far away from 6E's rules after reading the corebook....that thing is a mess.
Sweet! Do you have a book you want to sell?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #38 on: <08-09-19/1621:15> »
Please remember to try and keep criticisms constructive and not just "this sucks."

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #39 on: <08-09-19/1647:55> »
Please remember to try and keep criticisms constructive and not just "this sucks."

Lol really dude, seconds after your snark directly above this post?
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #40 on: <08-09-19/1706:52> »

Lol really dude, seconds after your snark directly above this post?
There is no minimum snark in my post, I see people with a book they don't like and I don't have and I honestly want to buy it.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #41 on: <08-09-19/1715:03> »
There is no minimum snark in my post, I see people with a book they don't like and I don't have and I honestly want to buy it.

Hey, if that perspective works for you, then you go with that. I just call them like I see them, and you saying what you said to him immediately followed by reminding us to keep it constructive was definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

That aside, I don't think it is unreasonable to objectively call some elements of the book a mess. Needing 10 pages of errata released as the printed copies were already being sold at the con is certainly fair to view as sloppy.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #42 on: <08-09-19/1729:30> »
Sweet! Do you have a book you want to sell?
FastJack when he finds out there's a Sixth World Core book he might be able to buy:

Not the first time he's asked someone, hope someone will put him out of his misery soon.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <08-09-19/1756:12> »

It amazing that you got that from my comment.

The MC was claiming that the poster could not complain about the issues he posted because CGL had stated that this was going to be the case.
My comment was a quote from the nostalgia critic about how this is an invalided point because saying you did something someone else doesn't like on purpose doesn't invalidate his opinion.
So now CGL is going to use rule #7 to silence opposition to the new rule, that's fine.
As I was not directly talking about the game you are wrong, but I expect that this makes no diffrence to CGL.
I expect the ban-hammer to be pulled out at this point to end all opposition to the new rule under shaky rulings.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <08-09-19/1809:04> »

Hey, if that perspective works for you, then you go with that. I just call them like I see them, and you saying what you said to him immediately followed by reminding us to keep it constructive was definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

That aside, I don't think it is unreasonable to objectively call some elements of the book a mess. Needing 10 pages of errata released as the printed copies were already being sold at the con is certainly fair to view as sloppy.

Is there an implicit contrast being drawn to 5e?  Because 5e didn't NOT need a lot of errata... it just didn't get it in a timely manner.

6we isn't any more of a mess than 5e was.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.