NEWS

SR6 Conflict of rules Firing Squad Martial Arts

• 6 Replies

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« on: <08-14-20/2133:05> »
So there is a fighting style called Ballestra, it says Reduce the Edge cost for the Shank Edge Action by 1. Category: Weapon; may only be used with bladed weapons.  But the Edge rules say, 'Note that nothing can ever reduce
the cost of and Edge Action to 0 Edge.' 

There is also an Edge action called Threatening Edge and Martial Arts Technique of the same name, it says it functions the same way as edge action with no cost.

My question is does Ballestra function the same way, but poorly worded, or did they lift the reduce cost of Edge to 0 rule?
See u in the Matrix!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-14-20/2225:02> »
That's an issue under review for an official clarification.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-14-20/2239:56> »
I can't see how that works, Shank every action then?  Its not terrible as its just reducing the called shot penalty but it sets up a weird precedent. And I'd hate to see it get expanded in supplements. Though I don't see the point of this maneuver without allowing it, unless it only works when you use it in conjunction with other edge moves. Like a anticipation+Shank, or a double shank if that's possible?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-14-20/2331:19> »
That's an issue under review for an official clarification.

What we got at this time.  Clearly Ballestra, as written, is a contradiction of the Edge rules Darksithmstr correctly sited.  Hope to get you all some official clarification. 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-15-20/0405:49> »
Edit:

Pending Errata, In Shadowrun a specific rule (Shank Action specifically cost 0 Edge if you have specifically have Ballestra) typically overrule a general rule (Cost of Edge Action can normally not be zero).

If this is the intent then I were to guess the sentence will probably be rephrased in Errata to something like this:

When using the Shank 1 Edge Action while having the Ballestra martial art, gain 1 Edge that must be spent as part of the action or vanish.

(which is nearly the same thing as using Shank Edge Action with a cost or zero, but phrasing it like this would require that you have at least 1 edge before you take the action but also that the 'cost reduced to zero'-rule is not violated - it would also be more in line with how other bonus edge abilities work).

But the intent here might instead be that Ballestra give you a Shank action as part of the martial art. That whenever you take the Call a Shot minor action while using a blade the penalty is always just -2 dice.

This is similar to how you can either spend Edge to take the 'Fire from Cover' Edge Action. But you can also not spend Edge (zero edge) if you instead take an extra minor action while 'Fire from Cover IV'.

If this is the intent then I suspect that the Errata process will change the sentence to something like this:

While using a blade while having the Ballestra martial arts, reduce Call a Shot penalty to -2

(Which is basically the same thing as using shank without spending edge, just that this count as if you are not yet using an edge action - which mean you are free to spend edge on another edge action or edge boost while calling a shot with your blade).
« Last Edit: <08-15-20/0429:20> by Xenon »

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-15-20/0607:04> »
I noticed this issue when I was building the Murder Hobo Ninja template too. I am completely convinced the right hand has absolutely no idea what the left hand is doing with these line developers, authors, and editors.

That aside, barring errata, the only way I can read it is how Xenon described, which is the generally accepted specific trumps general. Otherwise the technique does absolutely nothing, which would be an even sillier reading.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-15-20/2009:26> »
Really interesting for me. When I read it, I automatically accepted that it was a case of specific trumps general. Never gave it a second thought.