NEWS

6E Direct connection

• 50 Replies

Lethrendis

• Newb
« on: <08-10-20/0425:08> »
I have a question about direct connection. This is mentioned several times in the CRB, but not explained. What is the range of a direct connection? Does the hacker have to touch (somehow), or is he enough to be in a "close" physical presence? What is a "close" presence?

By the way, the range of PANs is not mentioned either. Or how big is the reach of large HOSTs and their protection of subordinate devices. Can a security guard with a protected weapon come out in front of the building? Cross the street without losing the HOSTs protection? Can he go even further?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-10-20/0705:21> »
A direct connection in previous edition meant that you connected with a physical cable instead of using wifi.

Range of a PAN is limited by noise.

Host Networks are not limited by range.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-10-20/0845:50> »
A direct connection in previous edition meant that you connected with a physical cable instead of using wifi.

Range of a PAN is limited by noise.

So, Ares squad could travel to Mars and still have their gear protected by Ares host?

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #3 on: <08-10-20/0850:55> »
Hmm.

Alice and Bob are security personnel inside a facility. Their gear is connected to a WAN. The facility is protected by high-rated wifi-blocking paint, to hamper deckers outside the building from hacking in. Do Alice and Bob take noise penalties on the WAN from the blocking paint?

Alice walks outside. Does she take noise penalties now?

Charlie is a decker sat outside the facility. They want to hack the WAN. Do they take a noise penalty from the blocking paint?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-10-20/0939:42> »
You can think of a PAN as a small mobile personal network while a Host is typically a large stationary network.

Wireless enabled devices that are slaved / part of a network (host or PAN, doesn't really matter what type of network we are talking about in this case) act as wireless 'access points' for that network. If a potential hacker is 5 meters from a slaved device then the hacker is also 5 meters from the network the device is part of. For all intents and purposes there is also no distance within a network (once you have access on the network you have access on the entire network, including all its devices and files, even if a host can be really large and can potentially perhaps even have slaved devices scattered over different continents).

If there is wireless inhibiting paint between a hacker and the network then the hacker suffer noise penalties from the wireless inhibiting paint. If the wireless inhibiting paint is not between the hacker and the network (perhaps because the hacker is hacking the network from inside the facility) then the hacker does not suffer noise penalties from the wireless inhibiting paint.

If the hacker have a direct connection to a device that is slaved / part of a nestled host network then the hacker don't have to hack the outer onion layers of the host network, he can directly hack the inner host that the device is part of.

Hope that helps.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-10-20/0959:42> »
Hmm.

Alice and Bob are security personnel inside a facility. Their gear is connected to a WAN. The facility is protected by high-rated wifi-blocking paint, to hamper deckers outside the building from hacking in. Do Alice and Bob take noise penalties on the WAN from the blocking paint?

Alice walks outside. Does she take noise penalties now?

Charlie is a decker sat outside the facility. They want to hack the WAN. Do they take a noise penalty from the blocking paint?

So, a key concept here is that Hosts don't have a physical location.  For example: a host that controls the doors, cameras, and other devices for a building is not physically inside that building.  Technically speaking, there's no requirement for any physical hardware like a server (or server farm, or something analogous) for a host to exist... they're (as of 5e lore anyway) basically built on the souls of dead technomancers. And even if/when there are requirements for servers, they can be in a farm in Singapore, Neo-Tokyo, Berlin, hell even all three simultaneously.  Either way, there's zero correlation to the physical location of any devices that are part of that host's network.

So, since you can't measure a distance between a physical object in the real world to a point that either does not exist or is undefined, then you logically CANNOT have a distance. And if there's no distance, there cannot be distance based noise.

Now with regards to wireless negation technology, that involves physical locations. If Charlie the hacker wants to hack the building's host, then the paint/wallpaper doesn't affect his actions.  How can it, when the host isn't inside the building?  However, any devices inside the host do have that "noise barrier" between them and Charlie.  So even if you hack into the host, dealing with devices inside that physical area (like, say, a file archive, cameras, etc) ARE getting the bonus Noise versus Charlie's actions.  He'll have to break into the facility to "get inside" that Noise barrier if he wants to avoid those penalties.  And of course wireless negation can be installed in layers, or in a compartmentalized fashion. 

Alice and Bob, OTOH, are in a different situation as employees/security personnel.  They likely aren't making any hacking actions, and therefore don't care about Noise.  All that really matters, from their point of view, where the shielding is so strong that their commlinks don't talk to the rest of the building.  Of course, when they're in such a room they can't be hacked from the outside.  If Charlie happens to be in there with them inside the shielded room... well there's no wireless negation between Charlie and Alice/Bob to inflict Noise!
« Last Edit: <08-10-20/1028:28> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lethrendis

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-10-20/1120:52> »
Well, good. And what prevents megacorporations from protecting all their devices with the strongest possible rating when they are not physically limited? And if more or less everything is built on the Foundation, then they would not lack the computing capacity for that.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-10-20/1203:54> »
Since Shadowrunners are not supposed to own hosts there are no rules for how expansive hosts are, but rest be assured that higher rated hosts are more expansive than lower rated hosts.

Hosts come in the range of 1 to 12. GM get to choose how difficult the host is depending on how big of a threat the network is supposed to be (and perhaps also how skilled the team's hacker is).

You can also use the following guide lines from 5th edition:

Code: [Select]
1-2   Personal sites, pirate archives, public education
3-4   Low-end commercial, private business, public libraries, small policlubs
5–6   Social media, small colleges and universities, local police, international policlubs
7–8   Matrix games, local corporate hosts, large universities, low-level government
9–10  Affluent groups, regional corporate hosts, major government, secure sites
11–12 Megacorporate headquarters, military command, clandestine head office

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-10-20/1210:27> »
Well, good. And what prevents megacorporations from protecting all their devices with the strongest possible rating when they are not physically limited? And if more or less everything is built on the Foundation, then they would not lack the computing capacity for that.

So, matrix (and astral!) security design is more or less like physical security design in that you combine features into a synergistic whole.

For example: A chain link fence is a common physical security measure.  As are padlocks.  But a chain link fence is fairly easy to climb, and padlocks are very easy to defeat if you have bolt cutters.  But when you combine the two, the net protection is greater than the sum because in order to apply the bolt cutters to the padlock, you have to first have to climb the fence while carrying a heavy tool... which is harder than climbing it without!

Wireless negation is the matrix analogue for physical chain link fences (and astral wards).  Normally you don't rely on a wall to keep intruders out... it's but one layer in your grand scheme.

Edit: Furthermore... if you just apply, say, rating 10 wireless negation throughout your building, it jams EVERYTHING up that needs to talk to another device across the barrier... not just hackers!  You could run hardlines throughout the building so your devices can talk to each other despite the hard shielding... but then all a hacker has to do is compromise one connected device then they can abuse that direct connection themselves.  You could just put a wompin' noise barrier around the exterior of the building but none of the interior walls.. but that's not so very secure really because all a hacker has to do to ignore that is simply physically get inside.

Edit 2: Of course a strong negation barrier that solely exists around the exterior of the building IS a fairly decent anti-drone surveillance measure...
« Last Edit: <08-10-20/1219:02> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-10-20/1222:04> »
So, a key concept here is that Hosts don't have a physical location.
This is less true in 6e, BTW: "Some hosts exist entirely virtually and appear as floating above the black plane of the Matrix, while others are attached to physical hardware at a specific location." (6e CRB pg187)

Leaving that aside, however, do you believe you can enter a host while you are stood inside a perfect Faraday cage, with infinite noise between your commlink and every other Matrix device on the planet? If so, how? If not, why not?

Now with regards to wireless negation technology, that involves physical locations. If Charlie the hacker wants to hack the building's host, then the paint/wallpaper doesn't affect his actions.  How can it, when the host isn't inside the building?
Indeed!

However, any devices inside the host do have that "noise barrier" between them and Charlie.  So even if you hack into the host, dealing with devices inside that physical area (like, say, a file archive, cameras, etc) ARE getting the bonus Noise versus Charlie's actions. 
But there's no noise between icons inside a host, right? (Although on closer inspection, I cannot find any text in 6e that says this. It's probably there somewhere.)

Or is your interpretation there is no distance based noise between icons in a host, but there can still be interference based noise between them? I can't find anything about this on a quick skim in 6e, but in 5e, there's "If you are in a host that has a WAN, you are considered directly connected to all devices in the WAN." which to my mind suggests noise never effects anything within a WAN.

If so: Charlie sits outside the building and hack the host, enter the host, and sends a hacking command to (say) Bob's commlink. Bob's persona is in the host, Charlie is inside the host. The wifi blocking paint is between Bob and CHarlie and yet an argument can be made that the paint does nothing. Yes?

I'm struggling to see what wifi blocking paint does now. You can always hack into the host from anywhere. Once inside the host, you are "directly connected" to everything else in it, so can hack into that too. Doesn't seem like the paint does much for the corp to improve their security.

They likely aren't making any hacking actions, and therefore don't care about Noise.
I've seen this idea floating around that noise only affects hacking actions. I can't find much evidence for it in the book. CRB pg 176 defines noise as "Noise represents any interference between a user and their target. Noise can be created by sheer distance or other factors, such as jamming or obstructions." Nothing about legality.

Looking across the actions list, there are plenty of actions explicitly listed as legal that noise affects (eg. control device.) Suggesting the matrix actions tagged as "legal" are "hacking actions" because they are effected by noise doesn't sit right with me. Encrypt File is a good example. A legal Matrix user might need to encrypt a file. It is marked as a legal action. It requires a test (to determine the encryption rating.) Does a wageslave potentially suffer a noise penalty to encrypt the file they are working on?

Which brings me onto my next point:

However, any devices inside the host do have that "noise barrier" between them and Charlie.  So even if you hack into the host, dealing with devices inside that physical area (like, say, a file archive...
You suggest that Charlie might have a noise penalty when working with a file that is inside the host.

That suggests the file icon has a physical location that is inside the wireless blocking wallpaper, while the host does not. Was that your intent?

As far as I can see, you should never have a noise penalty when hacking files from a host, as you have no penalty to reach the host, and the files are inside the host.

Or are you suggesting that hosts do not store files, and the files are always in the physical world, and just happen to be corralled inside the host?

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #10 on: <08-10-20/1241:39> »

Nobody said that higher rating hosts were not more expensive  to set up and to operate.   It might change in sixth, but in fifth hosts were grown from a foundation,  a foundation run was required to strengthen a host or make major changes.  Foundation runs are dangerous for anyone,  including authorized users.  So there were few people with the skill level to grow and configure high rating hosts, and even those would probably want danger pay.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #11 on: <08-10-20/1243:26> »
And you don't want to slave everything to your biggest Host because it means you got a single point of failure, plus with that many users policing it becomes a nightmare. Can you imagine Google using a single office building for their entire 100k staff?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #12 on: <08-10-20/1250:22> »
*snip*

I think this is one of the inconsistencies of the new matrix. The matrix works in such a way that physical limitations do not exist (Because of techno souls), but at the same time, it is affected by noise and by blackouts.

We might be able to handwave noise as an analog of "background count" instead of actual latency/jitter/etc, but that still doesn't explain why a blackout affects matrix connectivity. Tricky stuff.

penllawen

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <08-10-20/1256:27> »
*snip*

I think this is one of the inconsistencies of the new matrix. The matrix works in such a way that physical limitations do not exist (Because of techno souls), but at the same time, it is affected by noise and by blackouts.

We might be able to handwave noise as an analog of "background count" instead of actual latency/jitter/etc, but that still doesn't explain why a blackout affects matrix connectivity. Tricky stuff.
I know.

Personally I think it’s all the most horrendous mess, but I’m fascinated by the folks who seem able to reconcile it all. I don’t know how they do it.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-10-20/1301:32> »
So, a key concept here is that Hosts don't have a physical location.
This is less true in 6e, BTW: "Some hosts exist entirely virtually and appear as floating above the black plane of the Matrix, while others are attached to physical hardware at a specific location." (6e CRB pg187)

Granted, yes if a host is said to have an explicit location, then you can measure distance.  However, for the purposes of consistency I believe that even in those cases you "should" just ignore distance between that location and the location of any devices that are part of the host's network.  1) it's kinda silly for it to work differently for two otherwise identical hosts and 2) when playing published materials, they don't really (if ever) specify whether the host has a physical location.  And again, even if it does have a physical location, who's to say it's in the same building, sprawl, or even continent?

Leaving that aside, however, do you believe you can enter a host while you are stood inside a perfect Faraday cage, with infinite noise between your commlink and every other Matrix device on the planet? If so, how? If not, why not?

As I read the RAW: when inside the faraday cage you only have infinite noise between your commlink and every other device outside the faraday cage.  Another device inside the cage with you has no Noise (unless of course it's a huge cage and there's enough distance to generate distance based noise).  Now this might on one hand seem stupid, on the other the matrix doesn't work on TCP/IP transmission protocols.. or frankly anything else other than what is ultimately "Magic".  So...whatevs.  Rules say it works that way, so that's the way it works.  (disclosure: note that the guy who writes the matrix rules doesn't necessarily agree with me here.  I'll let him explain his views rather than put words in his mouth...)

Now with regards to wireless negation technology, that involves physical locations. If Charlie the hacker wants to hack the building's host, then the paint/wallpaper doesn't affect his actions.  How can it, when the host isn't inside the building?
Indeed!

Indeed, indeed! :D  But we segue into...

However, any devices inside the host do have that "noise barrier" between them and Charlie.  So even if you hack into the host, dealing with devices inside that physical area (like, say, a file archive, cameras, etc) ARE getting the bonus Noise versus Charlie's actions. 
But there's no noise between icons inside a host, right? (Although on closer inspection, I cannot find any text in 6e that says this. It's probably there somewhere.)

The way I read wireless negation (and faraday cages, with regards to the physics-defying matrix) is that they are barriers rather than fields.  Granted, the barrier must usually fully enclose a device in order for the negation to apply because there's not necessarily any need for a matrix communication to take the most direct path between two physical locations.  IIRC this non-reliance on the most direct path between two points is assumed rather than said... but if you DON'T presume this, then you have to start considering all the potential sources of interference between to distant points rather than the immediate areas around the two.  So for simplicity's sake... I believe it's best to assume matrix comms "magically" find and take the path of least resistance.  Ergo if you don't physically enclose wireless negation around a device, then there's no wireless negation.

And while my understanding requires the barrier needs to encase a volume, it's still not imposing noise on that interior volume... it's only a box rather than a solid brick of noise throughout the interior.  Communication going into or out of the box is affected.  Communication never going inside the box is obviously not affected, but the wrinkle is neither is any communication between two points inside the box affected by the box!

Or is your interpretation there is no distance based noise between icons in a host, but there can still be interference based noise between them? I can't find anything about this on a quick skim in 6e, but in 5e, there's "If you are in a host that has a WAN, you are considered directly connected to all devices in the WAN." which to my mind suggests noise never effects anything within a WAN.

So, if the host has no physical location then it's irrelevant if you're inside the box or outside the box.  And if the host DOES have a physical location, then maybe it should now matter logically... but I prefer to think that it doesn't, for consistency's sake (as explained above).  All it takes to suspend my disbelief is to say that commlinks/cyberdecks/RCCs can't communicate with their networks in whatever way hosts do that allow them to "see through" wireless negation.

If so: Charlie sits outside the building and hack the host, enter the host, and sends a hacking command to (say) Bob's commlink. Bob's persona is in the host, Charlie is inside the host. The wifi blocking paint is between Bob and CHarlie and yet an argument can be made that the paint does nothing. Yes?
I'm struggling to see what wifi blocking paint does now. You can always hack into the host from anywhere. Once inside the host, you are "directly connected" to everything else in it, so can hack into that too. Doesn't seem like the paint does much for the corp to improve their security.

Ok, Charlie is the hacker "outside the box" of wireless negation.  He enters the host.  The host can talk to Bob the security guard's commlink without suffering Noise, but Charlie is not the host.  His icon is inside the host yes but his physical location is still outside the building.  Doing anything to Bob's commlink, whether Charlie has hacked into the host or not, suffers Noise.

They likely aren't making any hacking actions, and therefore don't care about Noise.
I've seen this idea floating around that noise only affects hacking actions. I can't find much evidence for it in the book. CRB pg 176 defines noise as "Noise represents any interference between a user and their target. Noise can be created by sheer distance or other factors, such as jamming or obstructions." Nothing about legality.

Looking across the actions list, there are plenty of actions explicitly listed as legal that noise affects (eg. control device.) Suggesting the matrix actions tagged as "legal" are "hacking actions" because they are effected by noise doesn't sit right with me. Encrypt File is a good example. A legal Matrix user might need to encrypt a file. It is marked as a legal action. It requires a test (to determine the encryption rating.) Does a wageslave potentially suffer a noise penalty to encrypt the file they are working on?

The presumption is that MOST legal actions don't/shouldn't involve dice tests. Controlling drones is the obvious exception, of course.  You don't roll anything to make a commcall.  You probably shouldn't have to roll anything to update your contacts list in your commlink, even though that'd be governed by the Edit File matrix action.  Basically, the only reason the wageslave would really roll to encrypt a file is because it's setting the difficulty for a future hacking action. Subtracting dice from an activity that doesn't even have a roll is a mechanically meaningless "penalty". 

So, technically, in the case of the wageslave encrypting a file while that wageslave is inside a "box" of wireless negation... it depends on whether the file is out on the host or "directly" stored on a device.  On the host: no noise, assuming the commlink or terminal is part of the host's network, of course.  Not on the host: it depends on whether there's a wireless negation barrier between the wageslave's commlink/work terminal and that destination device.

Which brings me onto my next point:

However, any devices inside the host do have that "noise barrier" between them and Charlie.  So even if you hack into the host, dealing with devices inside that physical area (like, say, a file archive...
You suggest that Charlie might have a noise penalty when working with a file that is inside the host.

That suggests the file icon has a physical location that is inside the wireless blocking wallpaper, while the host does not. Was that your intent?

I bolded part of what you said, because it's an incorrect characterization of what I said.  No, I said he'd potentially suffer noise if the file was on a device behind a noise barrier, NOT on the host itself. 

As far as I can see, you should never have a noise penalty when hacking files from a host, as you have no penalty to reach the host, and the files are inside the host.

Yes, on that we're agreeing.

Whether Charlie is inside or outside of the box (or, through bizzare RAW, even inside a farraday cage! but surely that's not RAI...) he's not suffering any noise talking TO the host nor doing anything inside the host once he's inside.  If the file has no physical location and exists solely "inside" whatever device/magic makes the host, then there can be no measurable distance between Charlie and that file.

(And I got slipped by 4 messages while typing this up!  will review and respond if my opinion is warranted after this post :D )
« Last Edit: <08-10-20/1311:13> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »